PDA

View Full Version : The Screen Game

JSHT21
07-19-2011, 07:05 PM
I need some tips on the screen game. I'm running a up tempo wing offense, ala Auburn, Tulsa, and Clemson this year, sorry if I missed someone.

I'm trying to stick to short passing yards, some option and the run game. 60% run game.

I can get the HB screen working, but the WR screens and midscreens no luck.

(Note: This is for offline. I don't know if that would make a difference.)

jwendt79
07-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Its the opposite for me, I can do OK on the WR screens but can't get anything going with HB screens

My QB gets demolished 90% of the time on HB screens, I can't even get rid of the ball. If I do get it off in time it usually hits my HB in the back

JSHT21
07-19-2011, 07:11 PM
With the HB screens I seem to have to do a little non sim to get it to work, I can't just take my 5 step drop, the HB doesn't make a good enough attempt to get open. I have to swing out to the side of the field he is going to... then rocket it in.

Not sim, but the only way I can get that play to work.

(Note: I realize this should go in the X and O's Discussion forum, mods please move if needed.)

cdj
07-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Its the opposite for me, I can do OK on the WR screens but can't get anything going with HB screens

My QB gets demolished 90% of the time on HB screens, I can't even get rid of the ball. If I do get it off in time it usually hits my HB in the back

I can get HB screens to work but only by dropping back an excessive amount with the QB. This gives enough time for the HB to get set-up and blockers lined up.

I haven't tried much this year with WR screens, but last year I didn't have much luck with them.

baseballplyrmvp
07-19-2011, 10:17 PM
for wr mid screens, you want to do like a one step drop and immediately throw it. the sooner you get it there, the better.

roccogator
07-20-2011, 08:59 AM
The HB screens from under center are very hard to get off this year. I don't even try them against a decent front seven, and only use them when I got a QB with quick feet.

I am killing with the WR mid screens. I time it so that I hit my WR on the run as he gets behind the blockers and I lob it between rushing defenders. It took a lot of batted balls to get the timing down, but once you set one up its a thing of beauty turning up field with a convoy. I also formation sub in my WR with the best combo of ACC+ELU+CIT

Bubble screens haven't been that good to me. Maybe I haven't found the best WR to put in for that play, but it feels like there running in mud when they catch the ball.

PDuncanOSU
07-20-2011, 10:56 AM
First, probably obvious, but screen passes will be more affective if the defense is expecting a standard pass as the d-line will be focused on getting to the quarterback. The bubble screen for me has been the opposite of this though. If the defense is expecting an inside run, and the OLB isn't lined up over the slot, I'll audible to a bubble screen. If the outside receiver does a good job of blocking the corner you should be able to gain 5 yards before the safety gets there, and big yardage if you can make a move and get past the safety.
In my experience so far, the WR Mid Screen works well when the defense is playing zone and is a lot of fun to take that WR up the middle w/ three blockers out in front of you. If the defense is in man though, and especially if they are pressing, the corner will stick with the WR coming on the screen and blow the play up for little or no yardage.

OptionMasta
07-22-2011, 01:52 PM
You really only want to run the WR screen plays if the defense is in zone coverage.

I run an offense similar to what you are describing and have found that a key ingredient to getting it to work against human players is WR mid screens. I like to run out of Spread Flex because it's got a quick HB Dive play. Eventually, I will catch the defense in zone rather than man. When I catch the defense in zone I will audible to the WR mid screen from Spread Flex (this is one of my master audibles). I don't like to throw the pass immediately. I like to wait until my WR runs near his blockers and then throw the pass. I have had little trouble with the passes being batted when I do this. If I throw the pass too soon (as another poster suggested he had luck with) I get little to no yardage because a CB is either there to tackle me immediately or I get hung up behind my blockers and the defense reacts and takes me down quickly.

This will work against the CPU as well. The tough thing about the CPU is that if you want to run a play you are best to pick something the opposite and then audible into it. Whenever I play the CPU and come out with a Flood play called, for example, I can almost guarantee the CPU will be in man. Since you don't want to run Flood against man you then audible to what you really wanted to call - a dive, option, sweep, mesh, etc.

classic
07-22-2011, 11:54 PM
spread flex is one of my fav formations this season as well..the play 617 i think it is called is one of my fav plays...and that dive is a killer ...seem like any of the shotgun runs with the back offset hit alot faster ..i have all of them in my playbook

TheRezyReb
08-01-2011, 01:31 AM
The wr mid screens seem to work great this year!

littletomz
08-17-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm having the some of the same result. The WR screen I have taken to the house but the middle screen to the HB will just not work. You are not able to drop the pass in over the defensive lineman. I have dropped back more and even tried from either side and nothing.

AMAZING
08-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Really I can't use any screen but the HB screen. The bubble screen doesn't work well for me because by the time he gets on screen the rush has come but I honestly haven't practiced it and I figured it only works on certain defenses. And i can't use the WR screen because the WR usually doesn't get open till he runs off screen. Blindly throwing it usually results in a pick.

Marlowe
09-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Try slide blocking left or right when under center. Usually the middle defenders get blocked just enough to allow you to get the ball out.

baseballplyrmvp
01-15-2012, 01:38 PM
wr screens and bubble screens out of any trips formation dont work at all. the blocking receivers just run to a certain area, and then stop, then as soon as you throw to the intended wr, the blocking wr's will look to engage in blocks.

the blocking receivers, instead, need an actual assignment block, instead of running to a certain spot and looking for someone to block.

play selected is shotgun 4wr trey- wr screen

http://cdn.content.easports.com/media2011/ncaa12/64795379/512A0001_2_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_JUn.jpg

http://cdn.content.easports.com/media2011/ncaa12/64795379/512A0001_1_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_mnq.jpg

this last image just pisses me off. i have 4 blockers out in front of that receiver, and not one of em can block the corner who's in man coverage. the play resulted in a 4 yard loss.
http://cdn.content.easports.com/media2011/ncaa12/64795379/512A0001_0_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_sFg.jpg

Escobar
01-16-2012, 04:46 PM
I noticed that when throwing those types of screens you have to throw it as soon as the QB sets up to throw, don't move the left stick. You also have to throw a strong bullet pass. Doing this I've gotten the Trio HB WK, WR Screen play to work 80% of the time. The WR's still may miss one man, but the pass gets out there so quick it gives your WR time to make a move or accelerate away from the defender. I'm throwing it to De'Anthony Thomas in his SR year so that also helps. He has 99 ACC and SPD.

baseballplyrmvp
01-16-2012, 09:56 PM
I noticed that when throwing those types of screens you have to throw it as soon as the QB sets up to throw, don't move the left stick. You also have to throw a strong bullet pass. Doing this I've gotten the Trio HB WK, WR Screen play to work 80% of the time. The WR's still may miss one man, but the pass gets out there so quick it gives your WR time to make a move or accelerate away from the defender. I'm throwing it to De'Anthony Thomas in his SR year so that also helps. He has 99 ACC and SPD.wow. i tried this advice for the wr screen play out of another formation, and my wr broke one tackle en route to a 67 yard td. it works way better than waiting a second as your blocking receivers immediately try to engage in a block. my wr was a 96 spd 89 acc.

illwill10
01-16-2012, 10:43 PM
I am having problems running HB screens. Most of the time the CPU DE or LB always reads it and usually the RBs doesnt get the ball or gets stuffed in the backfield.

Marlowe
02-11-2012, 06:46 AM
I am having problems running HB screens. Most of the time the CPU DE or LB always reads it and usually the RBs doesnt get the ball or gets stuffed in the backfield.

Try running it to the de side that has lower play recognition. Then basically just dropback until you see the rb start to take off. As soon as you see that, lead the pass up with a quick throw. You'll know when you've done it correctly as the rb gets a quick speed burst to the sideline as they catch the pass.