PDA

View Full Version : Any Big East Fans?

jwendt79
07-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Anyone in here a Big East Fan? I think the Big East is the most overlooked conference. I'm not saying they are stacked, but almost any team in the Big East will usually hang with the power house teams.

So, who is taking the Big East this year???

My pick will always be WVU!!!

SmoothPancakes
07-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Wrong forum.

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?22-College-Sports-Discussion

morsdraconis
07-19-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm a Big East fan and you are completely wrong. The Big East is the laughing stock of the BCS conferences unless WVU, Pitt, Syracuse, and someone else actually start playing dominate football again, all at the same time, and there are constantly 3+ teams in the top 25 every year for the next 4-5 years.

Big East football is a joke which makes WVU not winning it every year look that much freakin' worse.

jwendt79
07-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Wrong forum.

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?22-College-Sports-Discussion

You're telling me that this isn't NCAA Football: General Discussion??????

morsdraconis
07-19-2011, 05:55 PM
:fp:

SmoothPancakes
07-19-2011, 05:58 PM
You're telling me that this isn't NCAA Football: General Discussion??????

This is NCAA Football (THE VIDEO GAME): General Discussion. You want College Sports Discussion.

gschwendt
07-19-2011, 06:07 PM
This is NCAA Football (THE VIDEO GAME): General Discussion. You want College Sports Discussion.
Just for clarification, I moved it here (to the College Sports Discussion), but yes, it was in the NCAA Football (video game) General Discussion area.

jwendt79
07-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Just for clarification, I moved it here (to the College Sports Discussion), but yes, it was in the NCAA Football (video game) General Discussion area.

My Bad.....
Thanks for clarification.

Also is your last name Wendt too? Your ID looks like it may be....

gschwendt
07-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Also is your last name Wendt too? Your ID looks like it may be....
Nah... last name is Gschwend, first initial is T.

SmoothPancakes
07-19-2011, 06:48 PM

Thanks. :) I didn't notice it had already been moved when I posted that, so thanks for the clarification for everyone new.

jwendt79
07-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks. :) I didn't notice it had already been moved when I posted that, so thanks for the clarification for everyone new.

No, u posted it before it got moved, just my mistake. Didn't mean to sound like I was getting smart with ya, I just didn't know I made a booboo. LOL

SmoothPancakes
07-19-2011, 07:42 PM
No, u posted it before it got moved, just my mistake. Didn't mean to sound like I was getting smart with ya, I just didn't know I made a booboo. LOL

Oh I didn't think that. I just wanted to make sure you knew that we had a forum solely for the discussion of real college football. Just wanted to help you learn your way around. :)

OptionMasta
07-20-2011, 09:09 PM
I think that WVU will win the conference this year, sad as that makes me. Pitt had it's chance to win it last year and the year before and took a dump all over the field in those situations. Hopefully the Todd Graham era marks the end of "dump on field in big games/national TV" era as well. We'll see...

As for WVU, I think they made a really nice hire in Holgorsen despite the fact that they really went about forcing Stewart into retirement strangely. I can see why the guy has some sour grapes. Honestly, though, he never should have been coaching major college football to begin with and WVU made a stupid impulse hire with him in the first place just because he won a BCS bowl as the interim head coach. I see good things in the future for WVU if Holgorsen can stay out of trouble and find somebody to run the defense.

I like Charlie Strong at Louisville. I think he's doing a good job there and we all know he can recruit. I surely don't see that game as an automatic win for Pitt as I have in previous years.

Syracuse should be on their way up. It's about damn time. More than anything, I think the BE needs Syracuse to step it up. WVU has been really carrying the conference and more recently Pitt has improved their play but in order for people to take the conference at least semi-seriously Cuse needs to get it going again. They're one of the schools that despite being God awful for years you still can associate them with being a football school. I always wonder why they can't get it going. Now's the time.

Rutgers got half of Pitt's recruiting class when Cignetti and Co. moved out to work with Schiano after Wannstedt got fired. That should help them out quite a bit from a talent standpoint and I think that Cignetti is actually a decent enough OC (when not handcuffed by Wannstedt). Maybe now Schiano will keep more of the high profile kids in NJ from going to other schools.

I think that it's an interesting time to be a BE fan. Despite the fact that the media constantly trashes the conference and the inferiority complex we've all developed as a consequence, I think that there are good things happening right now for the conference. There are a lot of coaches who I think have a lot of potential right now; Holgorsen, Graham, Holtz, Marrone, and Strong. TCU will soon be coming to the party and it's possible that we'll bring in another school to move to 10. There's the possibility that we can finally split from the basketball only schools as well which I think is the right thing to do. Lot's to talk about in regards to the BE and I think a lot of it is positive for once...

PS: We should make this the Big East thread.

morsdraconis
07-20-2011, 09:15 PM
WVU already has someone running the defense, Casteel. No, if he leaves (there have been some interesting rumors revolving around him and Holgorsen) then we definitely need to make a smart hire.

WVU has a chance to go anywhere from 4-8 to 8-4 depending on how well they pick up Holgorsen's offensive scheme and how well the offensive line gels. Unfortunately, Josh Jenkins is, yet again, injured and useless for us, proving, once again, recruiting stars don't mean everything for college football players in real life (the best rated OG out of high school and a top 25 ranking in the 2008 draft class).

OptionMasta
07-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Yeah I was a little unclear about the WVU D; continuing into the future he'll need a strong DC to be most successful.

jaymo76
07-21-2011, 02:34 PM
I think that WVU will win the conference this year, sad as that makes me. Pitt had it's chance to win it last year and the year before and took a dump all over the field in those situations. Hopefully the Todd Graham era marks the end of "dump on field in big games/national TV" era as well. We'll see...

As for WVU, I think they made a really nice hire in Holgorsen despite the fact that they really went about forcing Stewart into retirement strangely. I can see why the guy has some sour grapes. Honestly, though, he never should have been coaching major college football to begin with and WVU made a stupid impulse hire with him in the first place just because he won a BCS bowl as the interim head coach. I see good things in the future for WVU if Holgorsen can stay out of trouble and find somebody to run the defense.

I like Charlie Strong at Louisville. I think he's doing a good job there and we all know he can recruit. I surely don't see that game as an automatic win for Pitt as I have in previous years.

Syracuse should be on their way up. It's about damn time. More than anything, I think the BE needs Syracuse to step it up. WVU has been really carrying the conference and more recently Pitt has improved their play but in order for people to take the conference at least semi-seriously Cuse needs to get it going again. They're one of the schools that despite being God awful for years you still can associate them with being a football school. I always wonder why they can't get it going. Now's the time.

Rutgers got half of Pitt's recruiting class when Cignetti and Co. moved out to work with Schiano after Wannstedt got fired. That should help them out quite a bit from a talent standpoint and I think that Cignetti is actually a decent enough OC (when not handcuffed by Wannstedt). Maybe now Schiano will keep more of the high profile kids in NJ from going to other schools.

I think that it's an interesting time to be a BE fan. Despite the fact that the media constantly trashes the conference and the inferiority complex we've all developed as a consequence, I think that there are good things happening right now for the conference. There are a lot of coaches who I think have a lot of potential right now; Holgorsen, Graham, Holtz, Marrone, and Strong. TCU will soon be coming to the party and it's possible that we'll bring in another school to move to 10. There's the possibility that we can finally split from the basketball only schools as well which I think is the right thing to do. Lot's to talk about in regards to the BE and I think a lot of it is positive for once...

PS: We should make this the Big East thread.

Syracuse is one of those teams that I have no connection to yet I cheer for indirectly. It would be great to see the Big East become legit again.

JBHuskers
07-21-2011, 02:49 PM
I root for Pitt to fail because of their used car salesman of an AD.

SmoothPancakes
07-21-2011, 03:13 PM
I root for Pitt to fail because of their used car salesman of an AD.

Does he satisfy everyone's butts? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72M3E9HlzBY

JBHuskers
07-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Does he satisfy everyone's butts? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72M3E9HlzBY

Definitely not when he was the AD of Nebraska, he raped a lot of our butts, not to mention many Husker records/streaks that were stopped in his era.

OptionMasta
07-21-2011, 04:10 PM
He's an arrogant pompous ass and a lot of Pitt fans hate him too. The difference between his situation at Nebraska and his situation at Pitt, though, is that people actually donate to Nebraska and show up for the football games. In Pittsburgh they need to save up to get drunk at the Steeler games on Sunday so they don't come out and buy tickets on Saturday.

Seriously though, I was hoping that strangely firing Wannstedt and then hiring a class act who then proceeded to beat his baby mama and making the university look awful would be enough to get him fired but sadly he's still with us.

dubvcrazy05
08-12-2011, 09:37 AM
I agree with jwendt79. I think that the Big East is the most underrated conference and that we are no worse than the ACC.

As for my Big East predictions this year, I think WVU will win it outright with a 12-1 record. Heres my projected final Big East Stadnings.

1. WVU
2. USF
3. Cincinnati
4. Pitt
5. Louisville
6. Syracuse
7. UConn
8. Rutgers