PDA

View Full Version : Building the perfect Air Raid custom playbook?

johntom2000
07-19-2011, 01:23 PM
I am wanting to build a Air Raid playbook to run with florida''s speed. I have put in the shollow cross, mesh, bubble screen's. Also I added Y Corner, Smash, 4 Verts, and Jailbreak screen's. Any other plays I would need to add to build the perfect playbook and/or formations? As for runs, I have the dive plays out of the flex formations.

Solidice
07-19-2011, 05:44 PM
I've made a similar playbook, mine looks like this:

Ace - Big (10 runs, 8 passes)
Ace - Normal (6 runs, 9 passes)
Ace - Y-Trips (6 runs, 9 passes)
I Form - Normal (10 runs, 8 passes)
I Form - Twins (10 runs, 5 passes)
I Form - Slot Flex (4 runs, 5 passes)
Pistol - Full House (4 runs, 5 passes)
Pistol - Train (9 runs, 6 passes)
Shotgun - 4WR Trey (3 runs, 6 passes)
Shotgun - 4WR Trio (6 runs, 18 passes)
Shotgun - 4WR Trio Str (5 runs, 13 passes)
Shotgun - Ace (7 runs, 8 passes)
Shotgun - Normal (10 runs, 17 passes)
Shotgun - Normal Flex Wing (10 runs, 8 passes)
Shotgun - Normal Y-Flex (5 runs, 16 passes)
Shotgun - Slot F Wing (7 runs, 11 passes)
Shotgun - Split Offset (10 runs, 11 passes)
Shotgun - Spread Flex (5 runs, 19 passes)
Shotgun - Wildcat (5 runs, 1 pass)
Shotgun - Wildcat Spread (4 runs, 2 passes)
Shotgun - Wing Offset (11 runs, 7 passes)
Shotgun - Wing Offset Wk (7 runs, 5 passes)
Shotgun - Wild Raider

I started as Texas Tech as the base though. and added in a few Ace and I form to mix things up, but they all still have "Air Raid' type passing plays in them.

SG Ace and SG Normal both have a couple of flex HB plays in it. I also just like those formations.
I often use the Pistol Full House as my goal line formation and the Pistol Train formation is just fun to use to me.

added in the wildcat formations just because I had extra space for them. I actually don't use them that much. I may end up replacing them if I find pther plays/formations to use instead.

gigemaggs99
07-19-2011, 05:58 PM
These plays aren't broken down with coaching tips, but here is a short article I found on the AIR RAID PB. Looks like they have a staple of 21 passing plays.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/24054318/Air-Raid-Offense-Pass-Plays

Here is a nice link to the break down of some of these plays:

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2009/01/airraid-info-and-passing-concepts.html

After reading some of those articles above, I edited the ttu pb and put some other formations in my Air Raid PB. Since Mike Leach ran some of his Air Raid plays from under center while at ou I figured I'd add them to spice it up.

I added:
Ace: Big, Double Flex, Normal, Spread, Wing Trio
Splitback: Normal
Strong I: Slot, Twins, Y-Flex
SG: standard Air Raid formations (from ttu pb)

The running plays described in the ou playbook are almost identical. So I then went through the remaining ttu SG formations and added those runs as well (if they weren't already there). The passing plays seem to be on par with the "usual" 21 referenced in the article above. I went back into the ttu SG formations and added every AIR RAID staple...basically everything that had something to do with: shallow cross, mesh, stick, smash, y-corner, verticals, screens (wr mid, flanker, hb slip, wr, and bubble). I also added a few PA plays that work off of these runs.

My custom PB has 301 plays, but the problem is things like SMASH, MESH, Shallow Cross (all versions) are in multiple formations but the play book considers them a separate play.

EDIT: Well I feel kinda silly after doing all that work to make it similar to Leach's older version of the Air Raid, Ok st, pb is exactly what I was trying to me make, but it's correct out of the box. Guess it make sense, Dana Holgorsen was working with Leach at tech. WVU looks the same too, Dana moved their, I think....

Dr Death
07-19-2011, 11:26 PM
I am wanting to build a Air Raid playbook to run with florida''s speed. I have put in the shollow cross, mesh, bubble screen's.

Good luck w/ the Bubble Screen's... two years in a row this play is totally f'd up. The demo... it ran great. But now, in the game, it's just like last year. If you complete the pass, your WR will need about a half an hour to turn and start running upfield... which, by then, he's already tackled. I've called this play about 20-25 times as an audible when I know the D is blitzing... so far, about half of those are incomplete as the QB will throw the ball 7 yards up the field, of the remaining ones I've completed, they average 1 yard gains at best but I did manage to hit one that went for a 54 yard TD.

1 out of 25 is not the kind of consistency one needs out of a play. If they {EA} would watch :Texas_Tech: when Mike Leach was there, they could see how to properly implement the Bubble Screen. As it is now... it's just a worthless play.

I OU a Beatn
07-20-2011, 01:52 AM
The game is still way too clunky for Bubble screens to work. It's extremely lame that it doesn't work properly since it's run effectively by so many teams, but oh well.

Jayrah
07-20-2011, 02:01 AM
The game is still way too clunky for Bubble screens to work. It's extremely lame that it doesn't work properly since it's run effectively by so many teams, but oh well.

Its definitely a sad variation of a real bubble screen, that's for sure.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

johntom2000
07-20-2011, 06:45 PM
These plays aren't broken down with coaching tips, but here is a short article I found on the AIR RAID PB. Looks like they have a staple of 21 passing plays.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/24054318/Air-Raid-Offense-Pass-Plays

Here is a nice link to the break down of some of these plays:

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2009/01/airraid-info-and-passing-concepts.html

After reading some of those articles above, I edited the ttu pb and put some other formations in my Air Raid PB. Since Mike Leach ran some of his Air Raid plays from under center while at ou I figured I'd add them to spice it up.

I added:
Ace: Big, Double Flex, Normal, Spread, Wing Trio
Splitback: Normal
Strong I: Slot, Twins, Y-Flex
SG: standard Air Raid formations (from ttu pb)

The running plays described in the ou playbook are almost identical. So I then went through the remaining ttu SG formations and added those runs as well (if they weren't already there). The passing plays seem to be on par with the "usual" 21 referenced in the article above. I went back into the ttu SG formations and added every AIR RAID staple...basically everything that had something to do with: shallow cross, mesh, stick, smash, y-corner, verticals, screens (wr mid, flanker, hb slip, wr, and bubble). I also added a few PA plays that work off of these runs.

My custom PB has 301 plays, but the problem is things like SMASH, MESH, Shallow Cross (all versions) are in multiple formations but the play book considers them a separate play.

EDIT: Well I feel kinda silly after doing all that work to make it similar to Leach's older version of the Air Raid, Ok st, pb is exactly what I was trying to me make, but it's correct out of the box. Guess it make sense, Dana Holgorsen was working with Leach at tech. WVU looks the same too, Dana moved their, I think....

I took a look at them links and they was alot of great info. I build my playbook based off the plays it talked about.

I've made a similar playbook, mine looks like this:

Ace - Big (10 runs, 8 passes)
Ace - Normal (6 runs, 9 passes)
Ace - Y-Trips (6 runs, 9 passes)
I Form - Normal (10 runs, 8 passes)
I Form - Twins (10 runs, 5 passes)
I Form - Slot Flex (4 runs, 5 passes)
Pistol - Full House (4 runs, 5 passes)
Pistol - Train (9 runs, 6 passes)
Shotgun - 4WR Trey (3 runs, 6 passes)
Shotgun - 4WR Trio (6 runs, 18 passes)
Shotgun - 4WR Trio Str (5 runs, 13 passes)
Shotgun - Ace (7 runs, 8 passes)
Shotgun - Normal (10 runs, 17 passes)
Shotgun - Normal Flex Wing (10 runs, 8 passes)
Shotgun - Normal Y-Flex (5 runs, 16 passes)
Shotgun - Slot F Wing (7 runs, 11 passes)
Shotgun - Split Offset (10 runs, 11 passes)
Shotgun - Spread Flex (5 runs, 19 passes)
Shotgun - Wildcat (5 runs, 1 pass)
Shotgun - Wildcat Spread (4 runs, 2 passes)
Shotgun - Wing Offset (11 runs, 7 passes)
Shotgun - Wing Offset Wk (7 runs, 5 passes)
Shotgun - Wild Raider

I started as Texas Tech as the base though. and added in a few Ace and I form to mix things up, but they all still have "Air Raid' type passing plays in them.

SG Ace and SG Normal both have a couple of flex HB plays in it. I also just like those formations.
I often use the Pistol Full House as my goal line formation and the Pistol Train formation is just fun to use to me.

added in the wildcat formations just because I had extra space for them. I actually don't use them that much. I may end up replacing them if I find pther plays/formations to use instead.

Ya, we got about the same playbook. The only thing that killed my audibles was the mesh that I have set is from the flex spread formation. An it will tip me off when I get to it because of the movement of the hb. I have Z, X, Y, and H shallow cross as my others from the spread formation. I am hoping that I can find a mesh play as the same set as the spread formation that I won't give away my play when I change it up. I am also thinking about changing my running game up and removing some of the gun formations that I really don't like and add some more I form plays to go with my running game.

RTCVT
07-21-2011, 05:58 PM
This is the one I put together, It is a bit of Air Raid combined with some Run and Shoot. I have had by far the most success passing in NCAA 12 with this book:

Ace - 4WR Trips

Pistol - 4WR Trips
Pistol - Spread
Pistol - Trio
Pistol - Trips Open

Shotgun - 4WR Trey
Shotgun - 5WR Trio
Shotgun - 5WR Trips
Shotgun - Bunch Quads
Shotgun - Short Snap
Shotgun - Spread
Shotgun - Tight