PDA

View Full Version : Do the Dual Stick Controls work in the demo? How?

Sinister
06-15-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm just wondering and if you do think it works what are you doing to get it to perform.

cdj
06-15-2010, 09:09 AM
It's easier to understand and use the Dual Stick Controls in Practice Mode first and then go into the game, but we don't have Practice Mode here. Maybe try it on kick returns where you have a few seconds of open field.

First, holding the right stick forward will do the traditional truck move, but while holding it forward, move it to the left or right for leans. This can help you shield the ball from an oncoming hit and (if you are quick enough) also 'get skinny' when going through the line. If you hold it forward for too long, you will start to stumble. However, you can break out of that stumble by letting go on the stick.

It's a cool feature that won't be really appreciated until people can try it Offense Only in Practice Mode.

Sinister
06-15-2010, 09:14 AM
ok i wasn't sure i looked at the gameplay controls and it still had buttons active so i didn't think it would work. so the spin and juke work also with the right stick?

cdj
06-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Yep, you can use the Right Stick for jukes and spin move, but the face buttons still work. Personally, I prefer the spin move with the button as I find the right stick isn't always the most responsive on moves like that. I'll probably give it a better try today when playing the demo.

JBHuskers
06-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Yeah practice mode is HUGE in finding out what you can do with the dual stick controls. For those that don't remember, we jumped RIGHT into NCAA 11 blind without knowing anything new ahead of time at Community Day. We didn't know HALF of what you could do with the dual stick controls until Ryan Burnsides went into practice mode and went up and down the field showing off everything.

Sinister
06-15-2010, 10:00 AM
i'm pissed now i'm at work and have Tball afterwards gonna have to wait til late tonite, plus Obama is on at 8 so i'm gonna miss the first quarter of the game tonite

JBHuskers
06-15-2010, 10:19 AM
i'm pissed now i'm at work and have Tball afterwards gonna have to wait til late tonite, plus Obama is on at 8 so i'm gonna miss the first quarter of the game tonite

The game is 9 your time tonight...I don't think he'll preempt the NBA Finals, it should be over by then.

That was kinda like me last night, I had work, then wanted to watch all the E3 stuff, so I didn't play my first demo game until 9 LOL.

iBrandon
06-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Wait, so we can do a lot more with the dual stick? I think it was just for trucking and juking left or right.

Sinister
06-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Dookie i still don't have them under complete control i'm a little confused with juking with the left and right stick

iBrandon
06-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how to use them. Once retail hits and we can go into practice mode we will be able to figure them out.

cdj
06-18-2010, 09:16 PM
What's giving you guys fits in particular? The leans/twists will be tough to get until you can go into Practice Mode, but the juke essentially works the same as it did last year.

Have you guys tried holding back on the right stick yet? It is a new move this year and I haven't read a word on it. It's no longer a 'stop juke,' but sort of a 'hold up high step' move. (I believe Adrian Peterson uses it most famously.) Use it when in the open field on a big play, you have a blocker and one man to beat. This move slightly slows you down and can let the blocker get in position to set you free. I used it on a kick return for a TD and it felt really rewarding to see the blocker execute and get my KR free without having to run at a weird angle for it to happen and without running into him.

oweb26
06-18-2010, 09:48 PM
I have to get use to using the back analog stick it was such a un-used move for me that I have to mentally think about doing the move well before I get to the person I am trying to shack, juke, or whatever. I have done the move you are talking about but I didn't really know how I did it, I always just try to run people over...Old habits die hard.

In response to all the other moves I have done the lean a couple of times but I cant seem to really grasp how its going to help me, but maybe its like you said I just need to get in practice mode to get it done better. I cant ever think of leaning until I am already being tackled.

cdj
06-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Lean and twist will be very handy when you only have one or two defenders to beat, but you aren't very far downfield from the LOS. Make sure to shield away from the defender. In my experience, this helps shield the ball from coming out and can help you slip through tackles.

I'm the same way on the back move - I never used the stop juke (didn't feel like it worked versus CPU, only humans) so I didn't use it. It's going to take some time to get in the habit of using it. It will be handy on big plays when you need that one big block and a teammate is there.

oweb26
06-18-2010, 10:10 PM
I think Im about to get on the game now and test some of this out.

Rudy
06-18-2010, 10:15 PM
The back move will be hard to remember since I never used that move in the past. I was always about the juke or the truck move.

iBrandon
06-19-2010, 04:09 PM
cdj - Thanks for the tip on the back juke. I'll have to try it.

I'm not having problem using the right stick with jukes, just not sure what else we can do with it.

CLW
06-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Perhaps I'm crazy, but I'm not seeing the benefit of the twist/turns of the dual sticks. Maybe if I saw an actual video/tutorial of how/when to use it that would make since.

cdj
06-20-2010, 07:38 PM
IMHO, the twist and leans are best to avoid taking big hits. Let's say you do a pass to the HB/FB in the flats (right side). As the defense swarms and prepares for the hit, hold the right stick forward and then to the right to shield away from the big hit. It will make a lot more sense when you can go into Practice Mode and play with it.

JBHuskers
06-21-2010, 01:34 AM
Perhaps I'm crazy, but I'm not seeing the benefit of the twist/turns of the dual sticks. Maybe if I saw an actual video/tutorial of how/when to use it that would make since.

Yeah at the Community Day, I was able to time one just right to duck past a group of defenders on a punt return. Was a real sweet move and play.

Sinister
06-22-2010, 07:35 AM
i saw the cpu do that lean on me alot and my players can't wrap him they keep bouncing him off of them . and another time they did it to me and he ran right through me. Awesome

JBHuskers
06-22-2010, 09:50 AM
i saw the cpu do that lean on me alot and my players can't wrap him they keep bouncing him off of them . and another time they did it to me and he ran right through me. Awesome

Yeah I really need to adjust from relying on the right stick....I think I was using that 90% of the time for tackling in previous games.

psusnoop
06-24-2010, 12:10 PM
JB, I too have been having to adjust from tackling with the hit stick. I always tackled that way in previous games and now I really need to adjust my thinking. I've been toying with the strip button while the guy is in a group and have caused a few fumbles from it as well. So all in all adjusting from the hit stick just might be a benefit if I can get away from it enough.