PDA

View Full Version : NCAA '12: Heisman 0 Threshold Sliders

JerzeyReign
07-13-2011, 04:45 AM
Set 1
Settings - House Rules (Game Difficulty & Penalties)

Gameplay Options
Skill Heisman
InjuriesOn
FatigueOn
Quarter Length 7 min
Play ClockOn
Coaching TipsOff
Game SpeedNormal
Player Min Speed Threshold0
Home Field Advantage EffectsOn
Ice the KickerOn

Game Rules

Offsides85
False Start85
Holding85
Facemask60
Offensive Pass Interference100
Defensive Pass Interference100
KR/PR Interference100
Clipping60
Intentional Grounding100
Roughing the Passer100
Roughing the Kicker100

Custom AI

USER
QB Accuracy35
Pass Blocking50
WR Catching65
RB Ability45
Run Blocking55
Pass Coverage50
Pass Rush35
Interceptions35
Rush Defense35
Tackling45
FG Power50
FG Accuracy20
Punt Power50
Punt Accuracy50
Kickoff Power45

CPU
QB Accuracy35
Pass Blocking50
WR Catching65
RB Ability45
Run Blocking55
Pass Coverage50
Pass Rush35
Interceptions35
Rush Defense35
Tackling45
FG Power50
FG Accuracy20
Punt Power50
Punt Accuracy50
Kickoff Power45

Set 2
Settings - House Rules (Game Difficulty & Penalties)

Gameplay Options
Skill Heisman
InjuriesOn
FatigueOn
Quarter Length 8 min
Play ClockOn
Coaching TipsOff
Game SpeedFast
Player Min Speed Threshold0
Home Field Advantage EffectsOn
Ice the KickerOn

Game Rules

Offsides85
False Start85
Holding57
Facemask57
Offensive Pass Interference100
Defensive Pass Interference100
KR/PR Interference100
Clipping57
Intentional Grounding100
Roughing the Passer100
Roughing the Kicker100

Custom AI

USER
QB Accuracy15
Pass Blocking15
WR Catching35
RB Ability10
Run Blocking15
Pass Coverage15
Pass Rush5
Interceptions35
Rush Defense15
Tackling10
FG Power50
FG Accuracy20
Punt Power50
Punt Accuracy50
Kickoff Power45

CPU
QB Accuracy15
Pass Blocking15
WR Catching35
RB Ability10
Run Blocking15
Pass Coverage15
Pass Rush5
Interceptions35
Rush Defense15
Tackling10
FG Power50
FG Accuracy50
Punt Power50
Punt Accuracy50
Kickoff Power45

Whatcha
07-13-2011, 05:19 AM
What are you seeing that's making you want to tweak the sliders? I've played a few games with default heisman and been fairly impressed with how well it has played. My limited number of games, however, is a small sample, so I'm curious what you've seen. Thanks.

JerzeyReign
07-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Honestly, I haven't seen much yet. I've put it down to 0 threshold on default and it played fairly well. I haven't really hit my stride because I want to ensure I have a strong grasp on the gameplay settings before I start 'tweaking like crazy'. Probably will hit it hard this weekend. With no wife present it should be fairly easy.

hampshire2012
07-13-2011, 08:30 AM
Honestly, I haven't seen much yet. I've put it down to 0 threshold on default and it played fairly well. I haven't really hit my stride because I want to ensure I have a strong grasp on the gameplay settings before I start 'tweaking like crazy'. Probably will hit it hard this weekend. With no wife present it should be fairly easy.

What's the logic behind 0 threshold? It's one slider ive never really got to grips with. I mean I know precisely what it does I just never know how to modify it.

SmoothPancakes
07-13-2011, 08:59 AM
What's the logic behind 0 threshold? It's one slider ive never really got to grips with. I mean I know precisely what it does I just never know how to modify it.

0 means if you were to go into a game or practice with 99 speed running backs and wide receivers and a secondary full of 60 speed guys, the running backs and wide receivers would pretty much run circles around the secondary. With the threshold at 0, the speed rating for players truly comes into factor in the game as that's the only thing that differentiates one player from another with a 0 threshold when it comes to how fast or slow they are. If you have the threshold at 100, all the players play like they're the same speed rating. So a 60 speed cornerback would have no problem at all keeping up with a 99 speed wide receiver.

AustinWolv
07-13-2011, 10:03 AM
What are you seeing that's making you want to tweak the sliders? I've played a few games with default heisman and been fairly impressed with how well it has played. My limited number of games, however, is a small sample, so I'm curious what you've seen. Thanks.

I fully agree with this. I've only played 3 Play Now games, but I'm really pleased with the default Heisman this year so far.

JerzeyReign
07-13-2011, 10:21 AM
I agree. Thats why I want to see how much a 0 threshold effects the gameplay. So far not to differently as the AI matches up a lot better than last year. I won't even lie to you guys, my base hasn't swayed from default yet. My tweaking is for when we all get used to the new game and start seeing different things jump out. With me being in the military and my week full, the weekend looks to be the best time to dive completely into it barring any setbacks.

hampshire2012
07-13-2011, 10:24 AM
0 means if you were to go into a game or practice with 99 speed running backs and wide receivers and a secondary full of 60 speed guys, the running backs and wide receivers would pretty much run circles around the secondary. With the threshold at 0, the speed rating for players truly comes into factor in the game as that's the only thing that differentiates one player from another with a 0 threshold when it comes to how fast or slow they are. If you have the threshold at 100, all the players play like they're the same speed rating. So a 60 speed cornerback would have no problem at all keeping up with a 99 speed wide receiver.

Yeah I understand what it does, I've just ever understood how people decide to edit it. So i know that setting it to zero does what you've described, but is that too big a gap between fast and slow players? Is 50 too little? The devs must know what real life is on the slider.

JerzeyReign
07-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Yeah I understand what it does, I've just ever understood how people decide to edit it. So i know that setting it to zero does what you've described, but is that too big a gap between fast and slow players? Is 50 too little? The devs must know what real life is on the slider.

I'll find some of the research others have put in. I personally just used the 'at 100' everyone plays at the same speed so 'at 0' they must play at their ratings. I have an example below of a 0 threshold play. #6 of Miami is a 94spd 93acc back. I think the quickest player on WF is a 90spd high 80s acceleration corner. If you look closely you can tell the exact moment I started to 'sprint'.

http://youtu.be/3iPhCFEV7_U

UGA14
07-13-2011, 09:05 PM
I've only played 2 games on default Heisman and it's been a while since I played '11, but so far it seems relatively easy.

I just smashed Boise State 38-0 with Georgia and I beat Clemson last night 32-15. But that's a small sample size.

AustinWolv
07-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Put up over 200 yards rushing with an 'average-rated' RB (Vincent Smith of UM) last night, busting two long TD runs during the game. Had a bunch of smaller 2-3 yard runs also of course with some 8-10 yarders thrown in also. I saved the highlights, but haven't uploaded them yet, but the speed seemed adequate as they showed him outrunning guys he should outrun and increasing the gap once he hit the open field.

Heisman really plays nicely this year out of the box. You get penalized for dumb throws bigtime, running isn't automatic but you can bust big ones even without star RBs, you better play smart on D as the CPU will abuse you but there isn't the robo-QB syndrome by any means so far, the CPU will hit you up deep if you neglect it, CPU can run the ball, CPU QB will run on you if nothing is open.........Heisman is a challenge, but it isn't cheap like some past versions. It really seems like they put some dedicated work into playcalling and how the CPU plays, although the CPU will make mistakes and be too aggressive at times so if you can recognize the coverage there are big plays to be had..........very nice.

JerzeyReign
07-14-2011, 11:59 AM
@Austin -- I wish I could 'like' that post Facebook style :) They removed the famous force fields on Heisman making sliders difficult to tweak right now because it plays so 'right' right now. I'm really at a lost right now which is a good thing. The only thing I've changed is the 0 player threshold and I could call this the best 'out of the box' playing sports game this gen. Yes... it can be mentioned with MLB The Show in this category.

Just played SDSU (CPU) @ UNLV (Me) and lost 24-17. Score didn't reflect how dominant the SDSU offense was in this one as Tillman ran all over me. He had 191 total yards (149 on the ground). His speed made me keep an eye on him the whole time and it felt rewarding having to treat their star like a... star!

Hopefully, a patch doesn't mess things up but once everyone starts getting a little better and things are noticed please bring them up. I'll lab for you if you don't have the time.

Ray

JerzeyReign
07-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Played one half with the above 'base' and for the first time I've actually been blown out playing as a cupcake versus a powerhouse. I (FAU) went down to Gainesville to take on Florida. Demps has been damn near impossible to contain and the whole Gator team is just too fast to keep track of. At the half its 34-10... my offense has been horrid and I've gotten a couple of lucky plays to even put points on the board.

Will start posting full stats this weekend.

AustinWolv
07-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Good to hear others are experiencing the same.

It is still very early in regards to time spent playing the game so far, but for the past several versions I was already tweaking sliders and unhappy with the default gameplay. That urge and feeling of it being a necessity hasn't hit me yet, as I'm not 'feeling' or seeing trends that used to piss me off to no end in past versions.

jwallace0317
07-14-2011, 11:17 PM
FWIW, I did some specific speed threshold testing for '11 (using edited test players running "sprints," i.e., streak routes as a base for comparison) and there was very little difference between setting the threshold at 0 and at default 50. If you took a player with 40 speed lined up against a player with 95 speed, and ran them for 50 yards, the 95 guy would get 5-7 extra yards of separation with threshold at 0 compared to 50. And, that's measured only after running deep for 50 yards (the extra separation being less than that after, say, 20 yards). As you might expect, the extra separation from setting the threshold at 0 was even smaller when comparing guys with a 95 speed to 85 speed. Anyway just thought I'd pass along the info. Ultimately I concluded that it was okay to leave it 50 because that's the default level that you can't change for user vs. user games anyway.

JerzeyReign
07-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Finally made some tweaks. A video is currently processing that I will put up so you guys can see the set in action. The game was WSU (Me) at Washington. Only will upload the first half (sorry, I do a lot of half games during testing).

Slider|Reason
Lowered QB Accuracy to 35|Passing, along with using the left stick for lead passing, was becoming to easy. With it at 35 it makes it tough for 'bad' QBs to have highlight days while not handicapping the good ones.
Raised WR Catching to 65|QB Accuracy and WR Catching go hand and hand. If you mess with one, you have to mess with the other. To properly tweak QB Accuracy in NCAA you have to keep the combine total of WR Catching and QB Accuracy at 100. WRs will still drop balls and doesn't make them 'elite' by any means.
Lowered RB Ability to 45| With the Threshold at 0 I didn't want to make scat backs too unstoppable. Plus on default stick jockeys like myself will make every back look like Barry. Doesn't handicap 'em, just keeps them in check.
Raised Run Block| Again this is one of those 'these sliders go together' tweaks. Again I like the RB Ability and Run Block to equal 100.
Lowered Rush Defense to 35|The defense is too dominant in NCAA '12. With RD at 35 it has more 'realistic' run scenarios while cutting down on the number of TFLs you'll see with this at 50.
Lowered Interceptions to 35|At 50 it seems if you get your hands on a ball its yours. Their is a reason guys are on defense and its not because of their soft hands. Balls will still be picked but not at a 3-4 times a game rate as they would be on default.
Lowered Tackling to 45|This was to 'even' the defense with the offensive ability of the ballcarrier. This allows tackles to still me made/broken. If you want a defensive game just put this at 50, you won't see any YAC.

JerzeyReign
07-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Gameplay Footage (Music Is NOT Safe For Work Or Children; Jay-Z Big Pimpin'):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6OvhfrqNKA

JerzeyReign
07-17-2011, 11:04 AM
More Gameplay. Illinois (CPU) @ Michigan (Me). Great game. Trying to find out how to narrate the videos so I can explain the sliders better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOte3VbEbyY

CeeGee
07-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Why does the "threshold" even exist in this game???

Why Can't a 95 speed guy best faster than a 90 speed guy on any difficulty setting ALWAYS???

TheRealist
07-20-2011, 02:21 PM
One thing im noticing right away from your videos is that the screen pass is realistically effective whereas on default the cpu would always either pick it off or tackle for a loss. Ill give your sliders a shot from the vids they look good

JerzeyReign
07-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Why does the "threshold" even exist in this game???

Why Can't a 95 speed guy best faster than a 90 speed guy on any difficulty setting ALWAYS???

Its honestly in there to 'cover up' some of the flaws in the game. It covers up some of the 'stupid AI' playcalling for example they come out in a 4-3 versus a 3 Wide set because you picked a run play. If you audible to a pass, with the Threshold at 50, the AI will still be able to 'cover' your extra guy because the threshold makes them the 'same' speed. With it at Zero, mercy is not granted. God forgives, I don't. :)

One thing im noticing right away from your videos is that the screen pass is realistically effective whereas on default the cpu would always either pick it off or tackle for a loss. Ill give your sliders a shot from the vids they look good

Let me know how they turn out. I'd really appreciate the feedback, good or bad.

JerzeyReign
07-22-2011, 08:33 AM
FYI: I'll update this thread if any tweaks are made or if any comments are brought up. For more stats look inside the Offline Tracker section and find my Coaching Career post. I also have videos in there of every play from the offensive side of the ball.

JerzeyReign
07-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Hold up, wait a minute! Man, I may have a set that is quite incredible. Just plugged in my NCAA '09 sliders and they play pretty damn good. Hmmm, still labbing though.

JerzeyReign
07-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Call me crazy but this is what I'm using and getting some good games... still tweaking so don't run me over with a bus yet :)

Heisman
7 minute quarters
Fast
Zero Threshold

These are for both CPU and Human players

QB Acc - 10
Pass Blocking - 5
Run Blocking - 5
Pass Coverage - 10
Int-10

Special Teams may be placed wherever you see fit. If it wasn't mentioned, besides special teams, place it on zero. I was labbing a few weeks ago with these at 0 and this is as far as I got. Started playing today and realized they play pretty damn well. 3 game fluke? I don't know but I'll see.

JerzeyReign
07-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Nevermind... false alarm, played another game and I'm completely shutting down USF with Rutgers... the tweaks have began :)

strattjw
07-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Played some games with the sliders you have up on the first page using Michigan against various equal strength opponents. The sliders play pretty well. Used the Miss State playbook to simulate a shotgun read option offense and I could do pretty well with the running game. The only issue I had was sacks. That pass rush is relentless and the CPU loves to blitz. That's a minor thing though and easy to adapt to with some practice.

JerzeyReign
07-30-2011, 07:50 AM
Played some games with the sliders you have up on the first page using Michigan against various equal strength opponents. The sliders play pretty well. Used the Miss State playbook to simulate a shotgun read option offense and I could do pretty well with the running game. The only issue I had was sacks. That pass rush is relentless and the CPU loves to blitz. That's a minor thing though and easy to adapt to with some practice.

Thanks for trying them and the feedback.

Set 2, a whole different set, is now up on the first post. For video and stats (at least offensive for now) please check my Coaching Carousel Thread and check for any games made uploaded on today's date or later... 'The Coach Red Story'.

JerzeyReign
07-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Got a couple of AIM messages about which game is for what set... Set 2 begins with Bowling Green... the video is still uploading but should be ready to go within the next hour. I've had two great games so far with these sliders. Won't spoil my CC but man... so far, so good.

AustinWolv
08-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Has anybody tried these?

I've been running Heisman on all default except for CPU pass coverage at 40. I'm wanting some changes and likely will turn down CPU pass rush a bit, but there isn't a whole lot else that is worrisome, except maybe give a bit more strength to the running games.

JerzeyReign
08-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Rushing numbers look low on my stat sheet in my coaching career because of QB sacks being added. Most times thats an easy -40 or -50 yards of the rushing total. I've actually tweaked the PR just a bit to hopefully cut down on the amount of yards loss due to QB sacks.

Total rushing yards in 5 games from just my backs, excluding QB sacks/rushes: 508 yards
QB sacks has taken away 145 yards.

JerzeyReign
08-12-2011, 05:10 AM
Set 2 has been tweaked. Pass rush for both sides will be lowered to 0. Will do some more testing this weekend before its official.

kywildcat
08-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Which one of the two sets should give the most realistic stats, that's all i'm about right now.

JerzeyReign
08-20-2011, 08:23 AM
I like Set 2 for more accurate stats. Against even or lesser teams you should still be able to 'do you' but against better schools you may struggle. What I've noticed with Set 2 is that special players do special things so you have to lean on your stars a lot if you want to win.

gschwendt
08-20-2011, 03:33 PM
I cleaned up the tables in the first post. Let me know if anything additional needs cleaned up there. As well, I'll take a look at your dynasty report and see what it will take to clean that up.

kywildcat
08-20-2011, 03:55 PM
whats the difference in game speed. If i change set 2 to slow will it mess up my stats?

JerzeyReign
08-21-2011, 04:32 AM
Not sure. I don't use that setting due to the fact it seems guys are stuck in mud.

JerzeyReign
08-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Set 2 edits: I'm now at 8 minute quarters and Pass Rush was moved to 5 for both sides.

JerzeyReign
08-25-2011, 03:39 PM
I cleaned up the tables in the first post. Let me know if anything additional needs cleaned up there. As well, I'll take a look at your dynasty report and see what it will take to clean that up.

Thank you again! :)

itst76
09-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Have you made any changes since Patch 2 dropped. I really liked the sliders before the patch, was such a challenge.

JerzeyReign
09-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Have you made any changes since Patch 2 dropped. I really liked the sliders before the patch, was such a challenge.

Right now I'm trying to tweak the set for my online dynasty. Once that gets settled in I'll post those as well as work on a set for my offline games.

baseballplyrmvp
01-20-2012, 10:25 PM
i started using these in one of my offline dynasties. pretty good, i must say. makes it a real challenge, even as a powerhouse team against another powerhouse......but my goodness, there's something about em, that makes it almost impossible to stop the run. it was probably due to my playcalling though, as i was rushing 4/dropping 7 almost 80% of the time.

special teams play, though, has become quite exciting!

Bohica1010
02-01-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm sorry if I missed it, but can someone tell me what the difference is between the two sets is? I played Heisman with out of the box settings with my Badgers and went on a 2 year undefeated streak. I switched to AA with sliders changes from "Steeler" which made it tougher, but was still winning all the time. I am hoping that this toughens things up for my game play, but I want to know if there is something specific for each one that they address?

Bohica1010
02-01-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm sorry if I missed it, but can someone tell me what the difference is between the two sets is? I played Heisman with out of the box settings with my Badgers and went on a 2 year undefeated streak. I switched to AA with sliders changes from "Steelerfan" which made it tougher, but was still winning all the time. I am hoping that this toughens things up for my game play, but I want to know if there is something specific for each one that they address?

JerzeyReign
02-27-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm sorry if I missed it, but can someone tell me what the difference is between the two sets is? I played Heisman with out of the box settings with my Badgers and went on a 2 year undefeated streak. I switched to AA with sliders changes from "Steelerfan" which made it tougher, but was still winning all the time. I am hoping that this toughens things up for my game play, but I want to know if there is something specific for each one that they address?

One was pre patch and the other was post patch. And then I'm sure another patch killed them. Haven't touched them in awhile as I focused on keeping my OD, which is still kicking, up and running. I'll plug these in one day to see if they even work anymore.