PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Carousel - NCAA Football 13 Wish List & Feedback

cdj
07-12-2011, 07:11 AM
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA11/NCAAFootballLogo.jpg

Coaching Carousel

Use this thread for wish list & feedback items relating to Coaching Carousel changes or improvements you would like to see in NCAA Football 13.

Be clear, but concise in making your wishes. Any off-topic posts will be deleted.

osufan4life
07-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Ability to import retired madden players in as coaches.

jaymo76
07-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Ability to import your RTG player as a coach.

JeffHCross
07-12-2011, 10:29 PM
To be frank, coaching carousel will not be "done", or at least the coaches will not be as fleshed out as they need to be, until there is some differentiation between the virtual equivalents of Steve Spurrier, Ron Zook, Urban Meyer and Will Muschamp. I don't mean to equate those coaches with the virtual coaches in the game, I'm just using them as examples. I acknowledge that there are items like playbook and team style that differentiate between coaches and teams. But, for all intents and purposes, if I take Coach A and swap him with Coach B, but change the playbooks and styles to match, they are the same coach. Even if Luke Fickell calls the exact same gameplan as Jim Tressel, and uses the exact same playbook, they are not the same coach. And coaches should be similar differentiated in the game.

morsdraconis
07-13-2011, 06:18 AM
To be frank, coaching carousel will not be "done", or at least the coaches will not be as fleshed out as they need to be, until there is some differentiation between the virtual equivalents of Steve Spurrier, Ron Zook, Urban Meyer and Will Muschamp. I don't mean to equate those coaches with the virtual coaches in the game, I'm just using them as examples. I acknowledge that there are items like playbook and team style that differentiate between coaches and teams. But, for all intents and purposes, if I take Coach A and swap him with Coach B, but change the playbooks and styles to match, they are the same coach. Even if Luke Fickell calls the exact same gameplan as Jim Tressel, and uses the exact same playbook, they are not the same coach. And coaches should be similar differentiated in the game.

I completely agree. Thus the need for more coach ratings that have a greater effect on the team they are coaching.

Each coach (be they HC, OC, or DC) could have all the ratings necessary to be any of the positions but the game only uses the ones that effect their specific position (HC would have ratings that affected recruiting, coach integrity, team chemistry, etc while the DC would have ratings that affected defensive progression in various ways). Thus, you could have a DC or OC that is great as a DC or OC but is terrible as a HC because of their attributes.

SmoothPancakes
07-13-2011, 06:28 AM

I completely agree. Thus the need for more coach ratings that have a greater effect on the team they are coaching.

Each coach (be they HC, OC, or DC) could have all the ratings necessary to be any of the positions but the game only uses the ones that effect their specific position (HC would have ratings that affected recruiting, coach integrity, team chemistry, etc while the DC would have ratings that affected defensive progression in various ways). Thus, you could have a DC or OC that is great as a DC or OC but is terrible as a HC because of their attributes.

I completely, entirely agree with both you gentlemen. The things EA could do with that that would make Coaching Carousel so much better tenfold, I really hope we can get ideas like this along to them for 13 or other versions down the road for ways they can flesh out and improve CC. Coaching Carousel has so much potential. Tons of potential. It's just sitting there waiting for someone to tap into it and run with it. Same thing with Custom Conferences (more customization options, create new conferences, delete conferences). Same thing with BCS Bowl Tie-Ins (expanding it out to all bowls, create bowls, delete bowls, etc). All these new additions have SO MUCH potential that EA needs to take and expand upon it as much as physically possible.

JeffHCross
07-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Each coach (be they HC, OC, or DC) could have all the ratings necessary to be any of the positionsI don't disagree with you, but I also think it's worth saying that there's such a thing as overcomplication. I don't think you did that in any way, but I also purposefully kept my post simple. I want a way to differentiate between them. What that is ... well, it could be about six dozen different permutations, and I'm not sure I care to say one is better than the other. I just want something to separate coaches :D

morsdraconis
07-13-2011, 10:24 PM
I completely, entirely agree with both you gentlemen. The things EA could do with that that would make Coaching Carousel so much better tenfold, I really hope we can get ideas like this along to them for 13 or other versions down the road for ways they can flesh out and improve CC. Coaching Carousel has so much potential. Tons of potential. It's just sitting there waiting for someone to tap into it and run with it. Same thing with Custom Conferences (more customization options, create new conferences, delete conferences). Same thing with BCS Bowl Tie-Ins (expanding it out to all bowls, create bowls, delete bowls, etc). All these new additions have SO MUCH potential that EA needs to take and expand upon it as much as physically possible.

I completely agree. I really hope that they expand on them both quite a bit. Custom Conferences, Custom Playbooks, and Coach Carousel is why I bought this game. Any other improvements or additions were completely secondary to those additions, though, now, my interest in Coach Mode is greatly increased and I hope to see more done with it as well (as I said in the section for that).

I don't disagree with you, but I also think it's worth saying that there's such a thing as overcomplication. I don't think you did that in any way, but I also purposefully kept my post simple. I want a way to differentiate between them. What that is ... well, it could be about six dozen different permutations, and I'm not sure I care to say one is better than the other. I just want something to separate coaches :D

Oh, I definitely agree. There's no need to make it over complicated, but I think giving coaches say, 6 more attributes to help really define them would be plenty. That way you have the generalized attribute in Coach Prestige and Coach Integrity that every coach is going to be affected by and then you have two specific attributes that define how good they are at the three positions.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything for the attributes that wouldn't involve revamping the recruiting process as it currently is, but I definitely think there's something to be had in fleshing out the coach attributes to more than just Prestige and Integrity at the moment.

strattjw
07-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Need more options to customize your coach appearance. With the in-depth character creation tools that exist in modern games what we got in NCAA is a joke.

Also it would be great if coaches had traits. There could be categories like Tackling, Block Shedding, Blocking, Throw Power, etc that would affect your players ratings. Each coach would have maybe 1-3 traits depending on the prestige of the coach. Also coaches should have a Mentor rating that determines how much in game / post season progression players got. Finally, coaches should have a specialty. Coordinators could have a position type like Linebacker, Quarterback, or Receivers and Head Coaches would have Offensive Coordinator or Defensive Coordinator.

During online play I'd like it if the OC only played offensive and the DC only defensive, even in user v user games.

Final area I'd like improved upon is how recruiting happens. Offensive Coordinators should have some say in recruiting offensive players but not defensive players and vice versa.

UCBearcat4ever
07-18-2011, 10:12 AM
as a coach be able to have 7 on 7 scrimmage on campus and other campuses, be able to watch to see potential recruits, be able to offer on last day.

if coordinator make coaching more realistic when calling timeouts for would like see more timeouts called cuz coach might feel he losing his team to the crowd or they called wrong play and had wrong people on field

texacotea
07-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Recruiting areas for a OC and DC. I am curently doing this in my CC. Something along the lines of how coaches actually only recruit certian areas and only have players from those areas.

Also just give me a select few schools to choose from. Dont let me start with who ever I want, make me start from the bottom and move up.

SmoothPancakes
07-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Recruiting areas for a OC and DC. I am curently doing this in my CC. Something along the lines of how coaches actually only recruit certian areas and only have players from those areas.

Also just give me a select few schools to choose from. Dont let me start with who ever I want, make me start from the bottom and move up.

What kind of idea did you have in mind for this? Something like where you can only select one star school? Or maybe have you set your restrictions, say only coordinator positions and only 1 star schools allowed, and then have the game randomly generate a list of something like 5 schools that you have to choose from, based on those restrictions that you set up.

That would be a pretty fun idea, thinking about it. Just as an example, say I'd set my restrictions to only coordinator positions and 1 star teams, then maybe the game would generate me a list of 5 teams, say Florida Atlantic, New Mexico, Western Kentucky, Akron, and San Jose State. I think have to make my decision from only those 5 teams. Or even taking a step even further, have the game generate those teams, but only with specific offers from them. So say I'd get only OC offers from Florida Atlantic, Akron, and San Jose State, and offers for only DC from New Mexico and Western Kentucky.

So not only would you have to choose between some of the worst teams in the game, but then taking it a step further, you can choose what you want to be at those schools, you are limited to choosing between what they offer you. So if San Jose State offers you the OC position, but you want to be DC, you can't go there. You're then further limited to choosing between New Mexico or Western Kentucky if you want to be DC. Or you have to choose between being the OC at a team that maybe has the worst defense in the game, or DC at a team that has the worst offense in the game. It'd really make you sit down and truly consider which offer to accept.

That would be a nice little set up, have it as an option, during dynasty set up of course as most people probably wouldn't care for something like that, but have it as an option for us hardcore type of guys who want to have the limitations on us and have to make the tough, or impossible in some situations, choice. The fun factor levels on something like that would shoot through the roof for me. You'll really get that "strap in and go along for the ride" feeling at the beginning of each dynasty instead of choosing exactly where you start and under what conditions like now.

texacotea
07-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Yes, something along those lines. Say when you start CC you choose which side of the ball you want to start on or HC. Then when you choose that you get 5-7 schools lowly ranked that is "in need" of you. Pretty much what you said except you choose OC or DC or HC and then jobs are open accordianlly.

I would have the choice of a couple :2star: programs or :1star: as OC or DC but if I chose HC then all I would get is the bottom of the barrell. Something that restricts me.

jaymo76
07-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Allow the HC to hire coordinators.

texacotea
07-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Let me start at xx age and as I get older I get less desirable for certian jobs.

SmoothPancakes
07-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Let me start at xx age and as I get older I get less desirable for certian jobs.

Likewise, starting at xx age, if you start on the very young side of the scale, you hardly receive interest from big time programs in regards to head coach positions. Almost every big time program will rather go with an aged and experienced current or former head coach, than with a 28 year old coordinator with only a couple years of experience.

BeADuckOrGrouse
07-19-2011, 03:25 AM
Allow the HC to hire coordinators.

Exactly. The next big feature- the one still totally absent from this game - is the role of the assistants. As texacotea pointed out in his post above, the assistants are the ones doing recruiting in certain areas. The assistants should bring with them a bonus or penalty in regions, and a bonus or penalty with certain positions.

Additionally, assistants are responsible for development of young talent, so some should come with bonuses or penalties for the off-season advancement.

If any of you have ever played the soccer sim, Championship/Football Manager, I envision something similar as an option for NCAA 12. You'd be able to turn it off, but having it on would make dynasties more realistic and more interesting/challenging.

texacotea
07-19-2011, 06:18 AM
Likewise, starting at xx age, if you start on the very young side of the scale, you hardly receive interest from big time programs in regards to head coach positions. Almost every big time program will rather go with an aged and experienced current or former head coach, than with a 28 year old coordinator with only a couple years of experience.

yes. that too :)

cdj
07-24-2011, 02:00 PM
It'd be cool if we could establish (edit or create) some of the 'pool' of new coaches that come in to Carousel in the offseason. For example, instead of it being the random 'EA SPORTS' John Doe, we could edit the pool to include guys like Urban Meyer, Mike Leach, Dan Hawkins, Philip Fulmer, Mark Mangino, or even add in a bunch of top position coaches around the country. IMHO, that would add some spice into Coaching Carousel to see some big name coaches return to the coaching ranks. They would have the full editing options regular coaches have.

JerzeyReign
07-24-2011, 03:50 PM
I would enjoy it if they allowed me to start as the Special Teams coach. I really enjoy this 'work my way up' aspect of the game.

psuexv
07-25-2011, 08:59 AM
To add onto Tex's thoughts with the roles of the OC and DC. Not only limit their recruiting to either geographical territory or their side of the ball, but also only allow them to control the depth chart on their side of the ball as well and truly limit their role in the team. Things like if a player wants to leave early you could choose, "allow the Coordinator to talk to them or bring in the HC" and you wouldn't have control over the HC talking to them.

jaymo76
07-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Minor frustartion... CPU coaches should have their records of service on display. It's great to see that coach X is 8-8 at Notre Dame but his overall record is 24-11. Where did he serve before??? This would add so, so much depth and immersion. Fingers crossed for next year.

psuexv
07-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Minor frustartion... CPU coaches should have their records of service on display. It's great to see that coach X is 8-8 at Notre Dame but his overall record is 24-11. Where did he serve before??? This would add so, so much depth and immersion. Fingers crossed for next year.

this and maybe years at a particular school. Basically if they gave a timeline of the coach and record.

JeffHCross
07-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Also just give me a select few schools to choose from. Dont let me start with who ever I want, make me start from the bottom and move up.Just throwing this out there, Tex, but doesn't the current setup allow you to do whatever you want? That allows the people that want to set their own restrictions to do so, while allowing people that want to start with a specific school, top tier or otherwise, to do that as well.

Thinking back to College Hoops ... there were some years of the game that it had a couple schools that I was really interested in (I remember one year my hometown Appalachian State Mountaineers were one of the choices), other years there wasn't a single school that I had any interest in starting with.

Personally, I prefer any mechanic where the game developer does not force the player to play a mode a certain way. There are times where I'd welcome starting off with a 1* school. There are others where that has no interest for me.

psuexv
07-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Just throwing this out there, Tex, but doesn't the current setup allow you to do whatever you want? That allows the people that want to set their own restrictions to do so, while allowing people that want to start with a specific school, top tier or otherwise, to do that as well.

Thinking back to College Hoops ... there were some years of the game that it had a couple schools that I was really interested in (I remember one year my hometown Appalachian State Mountaineers were one of the choices), other years there wasn't a single school that I had any interest in starting with.

Personally, I prefer any mechanic where the game developer does not force the player to play a mode a certain way. There are times where I'd welcome starting off with a 1* school. There are others where that has no interest for me.

Tex you could also create it as an online dynasty and then you can set some certain rules for the jobs you could take. If it is a need then you could maybe offer this in offline dynasty as well were individuals can choose if they want to set some stipulations.

PDuncanOSU
07-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Oh, I definitely agree. There's no need to make it over complicated, but I think giving coaches say, 6 more attributes to help really define them would be plenty. That way you have the generalized attribute in Coach Prestige and Coach Integrity that every coach is going to be affected by and then you have two specific attributes that define how good they are at the three positions.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything for the attributes that wouldn't involve revamping the recruiting process as it currently is, but I definitely think there's something to be had in fleshing out the coach attributes to more than just Prestige and Integrity at the moment.

I think that 5-10 attributes would be good to differentiate coaches from each other. The attributes I would have, off the top of my head:
Prestige: Could be given a 0-99 grade similar to player overall, or left as a D-A+ grade as it is now.
Leadership: Could provide a small awareness boost to players in game, and a small progression boost throughout the season.
Scouting: This would require some change to how recruiting is done. Instead of seeing that a recruit has a B+ speed rating for example, we would be given a range of what their rating would be as a freshman, and what it could be as a senior. This would help smaller schools that have coaches with good scouting grades to find the 2 or 3* that could turn into a stud.
Recruiting: A coach with a higher recruiting rating would get more points per recruiting call.
Offense: Would give small ratings boost to players on offense.
Defense: Would give small ratings boost to players on defense.
Special Teams: Would give small ratings boost to kickers, punters, and returners.

JeffHCross
07-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Unfortunately, I can't think of anything for the attributes that wouldn't involve revamping the recruiting process as it currently is, but I definitely think there's something to be had in fleshing out the coach attributes to more than just Prestige and Integrity at the moment.I agree with not wanting to revamp (I interpret that as basically starting over) the current recruiting format, at least not simply for the sake of coach ratings. The simplest modification would be a change on the point ranges for recruiting. Say Coach A has the best recruiting ability, Coach C has average recruiting ability, and Coach F has the worst recruiting ability. Coach C would continue to have the point ranges as they are in '12. Coach A would have smaller ranges, with the minimum in each range moving up. Coach F could either have smaller ranges as well, with the maximum moving down, or just have wider ranges. Over the course of the season, Coach A is going to have better recruiting results (at least in terms of point values for calls) then Coach C, who will be better than Coach F. That's probably the "simplest" modification that could be made.

Additionally, you could make it so the better coaches have a better chance of landing an instant commitment (commitment on scholarship offer) or a better chance of swaying a pitch. And vice versa for "worse" coaches. Modifiers on existing random variables wouldn't be too difficult to do.

shockscape
08-05-2011, 12:23 PM
I like that idea....Coach F on the recruiting map would show a small circle for recruiting (the state he is coaching in and a little bit outside of this area), Coach C would have a recruiting circle that covers about half the US map, and Coach A would have a recruiting circle that covers all the US and Hawai'i, Alaska, and Canada...maybe even a few European countries.

DariusLock
08-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Coaching Ratings:
Motivation: Does he get the players fired up? Some coaches are really good at this.
Offense: How good he is at this side of the ball.
Defense: ""
Scheme: How good is he at running his scheme. Saban is better with his D than most others who run the same D.
*Discipline: How strict is the coach. Some coaches are loved and some are respected.
Recruiting: Does he beat down the doors?
**Loyalty: Bobby Petrino :)

HC Ratings: All ratings.
DC Ratings: Motivation, Defense, Scheme, Discipline, Recruiting, Loyalty
OC Ratings: Motivation, Offense, Scheme, Discipline, Recruiting, Loyalty

Discipline: Ties in with violations, bans, and probation system I'm fleshing out.
Loyalty: AD Mode, or if they allow the HC to make hires, or when schools are looking at you as a candidate. If you're the AD you want someone who wants to be with you for the long haul not just a 2 year stepping stone. As the HC, you want someone who will stay your OC/DC until they get a HC job or you fire them. Schools are going to want someone who is looking to stay in place, not a journeyman.

Jayrah
10-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Coaching Ratings:
Motivation: Does he get the players fired up? Some coaches are really good at this.
Offense: How good he is at this side of the ball.
Defense: ""
Scheme: How good is he at running his scheme. Saban is better with his D than most others who run the same D.
*Discipline: How strict is the coach. Some coaches are loved and some are respected.
Recruiting: Does he beat down the doors?
**Loyalty: Bobby Petrino :)

HC Ratings: All ratings.
DC Ratings: Motivation, Defense, Scheme, Discipline, Recruiting, Loyalty
OC Ratings: Motivation, Offense, Scheme, Discipline, Recruiting, Loyalty

Discipline: Ties in with violations, bans, and probation system I'm fleshing out.
Loyalty: AD Mode, or if they allow the HC to make hires, or when schools are looking at you as a candidate. If you're the AD you want someone who wants to be with you for the long haul not just a 2 year stepping stone. As the HC, you want someone who will stay your OC/DC until they get a HC job or you fire them. Schools are going to want someone who is looking to stay in place, not a journeyman.

This is good. Along with this I want to see some in game ratings be affected.

Seeing how money is a big part of the game at the coaching level, I would like to see contracts with $ attatched. Give another dynamic to choosing a position in the carousel.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

ikilleni
11-21-2011, 09:39 PM
So as I have played NCAA the last three weeks trying to figure out what is missing, i thought to myself that there isnt enough challenge and excitement in the dynasty mode. So i thought the best way to fix the dynasty mode would be to add a resource point system. This would act similar to the AD Mode which seems to be a popular idea, but with more long term fun. And could really be expansive if the devs at NCAA would let it. Also the I think they need to add more coaching posistions into the game like posistion coaches or GA's

Points System/Resources

With the idea that I have in my head, everything in the dynasty would run off of this point system. The way that this point system would work is that some schools obviously have more resources than others. The reason that Ohio State gets better recruits than say Bowling Green isn't just because they are more nationally recognized, but because they have the resources to recruit better players. OSU has the money to afford to take trips to Florida and California, while BGSU barely can afford to get out of the Tri-State area. So each program will be alloted with a certian amount of "points" or resources at their disposal. So if OSU had 1000 points at their disposal BGSU would have 150.

These points can be used not only in recruiting but in order to improve pitches and lure better coaches. This eliminates alot of the grueling process in recruiting, and can be used more like the NCAA and College Hoops brand used to have in their recruiting. Some points in recruiting should be constant. I never understood why in NCAA basketball it cost 1 point to call a player in my home state but 20 across the country. A phone call is a phone call. However if I wanted to go visit a recruit it would cost much less to visit a player in state than one out or across the country. By using this point system for recruiting it could help speed up recruiting while making it a little more challenging. I would also like to see the addition of recruiting underclassmen, at least high school juniors. This also adds to the dynamic because it makes the coach budget whether he wants to use his points for now or a year down the road.

Another thing thing that the points could be used for is to upgrade the program which you are at. These points can be used to get more prestigous coaches into the program, make the weightroom better, add to team facilities, or even donate to the academic programs. By getting a better coach, it may make a recruit more likely to come to your school for that coach. By upgrading workout facilities, it may make your teams athletic skills better. Even by donating back to the school, it makes the school nicer and recruits may come because the school cafe is nicer. All of these things should factor into recruiting and on field play.

Finally what makes this point system so great is that it adds to the dynamics of the whole dynasty world. As a small school it makes no sense for me to go play a top 5 program and get destroyed. However if they offer our program 50 points I may have to think twice. Whenever App. State upset Michigan several years ago, they were paid over 1 million dollars to come and play. As a small school I may have more incentive to schedule teams I know I cannot beat if it can add to my resources. It also adds to the coaching carousel as well. As it works right now, if I am a head coach at any non-BCS school, coming off a 11-1 season with a good recruiting class, the current dynasty gives me little reason to leave for a struggling big school. But if the bigger schools offer me more "resources" instead of a financial contract, I may think about leaving. By adding this point system, it gives dynasty a whole new look which would make players never want to put the game down.

Deeper Coach Mode

As it stands right now, when entering dynasty you can either take a coordinator posistion or become the head coach of any program you want. But coaches starting their careers are not immediately offered coordinator jobs. I would like to see a much deeper coach mode in the game which could be tied into the point system above. When starting your career, you could choose what type of coach you want to be with a few coaching types (smashmouth, schemer, CEO, recruiter). And with that there could be different characteristics or attributes on a slider of grading system. Some possibilities may be (offensive scheme, defensive scheme, enthusiasim, charisma, disipline/respect, teacher, etc.) A smashmouth coach may have higher defensive scheme and charisma ratings to start out with, while a recruiter may not have the schemes but the charisma and respect ratings.

After you have picked what type of coach you would aspire to be, you would then decide where you want to start your career. You would then enter the job search as a position coach. Instead of having a RB coach or a LB coach, each team should have a offensive coordinator, D coordinator, offensive position coach, and defensive position coach. This would save space and alot of time in coaching carousel. And instead of being able to pick your offensive and defensive playbooks right away, it should be based on where you start as a position coach. For example if I want to run Oregon's spread attack at USC, I should first learn it from Chip Kelley for a while. Or if I wanted to run Michigans new defense, I should coach under Greg Madison.

Under the current dynasty the user also has full control of who they recruit. In the real world however thats up to the head coach and recruiting coordinator. I would like to see the position coach only recruit either their side of the ball only or more specifically either Skill or Line recruiting. The head coach or coordinator should tell them who to look at, and the user can make their own judgements. Also if the user coach can land the recruits they are suppose to which would help their prestige. All of this should be tied into the coaching carousel aspect.

After the season is over, the coaching carousel then begins. As it stands right now there isnt much incentive to ever leave a position if your team is doing well. But with the new point system and less control as a non head coach, it will give users much more to think about. Lets say after my first year as a position coach for Oregon I do perfectly recruiting and the team wins a BCS bid. I am offered the offensive coordinator job at 1-11 Eastern Michigan. Why would I take that job? They have offered me more points to recruit than my smaller job at Oregon and i would be the recuiting coordinator. While that may not sway me, I would at least think about it. And lets say I go to EM and eventually become head coach and lead them to a BCS bowl birth, but 5-7 Michigan offers me their head coach job. While Michigan may take a while to turn around, they have offered me twice as many resources. All of this would make the users think about there job every year.

While I realize this is alot to implement and may even take a seperate "NCAA Head Coach" game, it would definately help the staleness which has plagued the dynasty mode on the current gen. Without revamping the dynasty mode the EA team is bound to lose more and more customers each year.

Treadstone6700
11-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Coach ratings and traits and the point sytem. Rank them up like Call of Duty.

OSUCowboyofMD
11-24-2011, 04:48 PM
I would enjoy it if they allowed me to start as the Special Teams coach. I really enjoy this 'work my way up' aspect of the game. Maybe even be a position coach. Decide your positions depth and have them do drills etc.

Bohica1010
12-22-2011, 09:59 PM
I would love to be able to see during the season or if not at least during the coaching carousel who is all interested in me (or the others) at one time, not just the 2 that are the current option if I am on the clock. That way you can pick the job you really want out of what is before you. Then you would be able to see if there is something better than the extension you are being offered.

DerkontheForum
01-07-2012, 01:37 PM
So as I have played NCAA the last three weeks trying to figure out what is missing, i thought to myself that there isnt enough challenge and excitement in the dynasty mode. So i thought the best way to fix the dynasty mode would be to add a resource point system. This would act similar to the AD Mode which seems to be a popular idea, but with more long term fun. And could really be expansive if the devs at NCAA would let it. Also the I think they need to add more coaching posistions into the game like posistion coaches or GA's

Points System/Resources

With the idea that I have in my head, everything in the dynasty would run off of this point system. The way that this point system would work is that some schools obviously have more resources than others. The reason that Ohio State gets better recruits than say Bowling Green isn't just because they are more nationally recognized, but because they have the resources to recruit better players. OSU has the money to afford to take trips to Florida and California, while BGSU barely can afford to get out of the Tri-State area. So each program will be alloted with a certian amount of "points" or resources at their disposal. So if OSU had 1000 points at their disposal BGSU would have 150.

These points can be used not only in recruiting but in order to improve pitches and lure better coaches. This eliminates alot of the grueling process in recruiting, and can be used more like the NCAA and College Hoops brand used to have in their recruiting. Some points in recruiting should be constant. I never understood why in NCAA basketball it cost 1 point to call a player in my home state but 20 across the country. A phone call is a phone call. However if I wanted to go visit a recruit it would cost much less to visit a player in state than one out or across the country. By using this point system for recruiting it could help speed up recruiting while making it a little more challenging. I would also like to see the addition of recruiting underclassmen, at least high school juniors. This also adds to the dynamic because it makes the coach budget whether he wants to use his points for now or a year down the road.

Another thing thing that the points could be used for is to upgrade the program which you are at. These points can be used to get more prestigous coaches into the program, make the weightroom better, add to team facilities, or even donate to the academic programs. By getting a better coach, it may make a recruit more likely to come to your school for that coach. By upgrading workout facilities, it may make your teams athletic skills better. Even by donating back to the school, it makes the school nicer and recruits may come because the school cafe is nicer. All of these things should factor into recruiting and on field play.

Finally what makes this point system so great is that it adds to the dynamics of the whole dynasty world. As a small school it makes no sense for me to go play a top 5 program and get destroyed. However if they offer our program 50 points I may have to think twice. Whenever App. State upset Michigan several years ago, they were paid over 1 million dollars to come and play. As a small school I may have more incentive to schedule teams I know I cannot beat if it can add to my resources. It also adds to the coaching carousel as well. As it works right now, if I am a head coach at any non-BCS school, coming off a 11-1 season with a good recruiting class, the current dynasty gives me little reason to leave for a struggling big school. But if the bigger schools offer me more "resources" instead of a financial contract, I may think about leaving. By adding this point system, it gives dynasty a whole new look which would make players never want to put the game down.

Deeper Coach Mode

As it stands right now, when entering dynasty you can either take a coordinator posistion or become the head coach of any program you want. But coaches starting their careers are not immediately offered coordinator jobs. I would like to see a much deeper coach mode in the game which could be tied into the point system above. When starting your career, you could choose what type of coach you want to be with a few coaching types (smashmouth, schemer, CEO, recruiter). And with that there could be different characteristics or attributes on a slider of grading system. Some possibilities may be (offensive scheme, defensive scheme, enthusiasim, charisma, disipline/respect, teacher, etc.) A smashmouth coach may have higher defensive scheme and charisma ratings to start out with, while a recruiter may not have the schemes but the charisma and respect ratings.

After you have picked what type of coach you would aspire to be, you would then decide where you want to start your career. You would then enter the job search as a position coach. Instead of having a RB coach or a LB coach, each team should have a offensive coordinator, D coordinator, offensive position coach, and defensive position coach. This would save space and alot of time in coaching carousel. And instead of being able to pick your offensive and defensive playbooks right away, it should be based on where you start as a position coach. For example if I want to run Oregon's spread attack at USC, I should first learn it from Chip Kelley for a while. Or if I wanted to run Michigans new defense, I should coach under Greg Madison.

Under the current dynasty the user also has full control of who they recruit. In the real world however thats up to the head coach and recruiting coordinator. I would like to see the position coach only recruit either their side of the ball only or more specifically either Skill or Line recruiting. The head coach or coordinator should tell them who to look at, and the user can make their own judgements. Also if the user coach can land the recruits they are suppose to which would help their prestige. All of this should be tied into the coaching carousel aspect.

After the season is over, the coaching carousel then begins. As it stands right now there isnt much incentive to ever leave a position if your team is doing well. But with the new point system and less control as a non head coach, it will give users much more to think about. Lets say after my first year as a position coach for Oregon I do perfectly recruiting and the team wins a BCS bid. I am offered the offensive coordinator job at 1-11 Eastern Michigan. Why would I take that job? They have offered me more points to recruit than my smaller job at Oregon and i would be the recuiting coordinator. While that may not sway me, I would at least think about it. And lets say I go to EM and eventually become head coach and lead them to a BCS bowl birth, but 5-7 Michigan offers me their head coach job. While Michigan may take a while to turn around, they have offered me twice as many resources. All of this would make the users think about there job every year.

While I realize this is alot to implement and may even take a seperate "NCAA Head Coach" game, it would definately help the staleness which has plagued the dynasty mode on the current gen. Without revamping the dynasty mode the EA team is bound to lose more and more customers each year.

This is exactly what NCAA 13 needs.... I would never have time for another game if the dynasty worked like this.

baseballplyrmvp
03-04-2012, 12:49 PM
i'd like to see a higher distribution of grades relating to the coach prestige rating.

in the current tgt360 od, we're in year 3, week 12, and as it currently stands, there are 63 coaches (including coordinators and HC's) that have an A+ coach prestige rating. there are an additional 29 coaches if you include the A coach prestige rating. those two grades alone (A+ and A), make up just over 25% of the total coaches.

there are 54 coaches currently ranked with a D coach prestige rating, with an additional 30 having a D+ coach prestige rating. in my mind, it shouldnt be an even distribution of coach ratings, where each grade group (base and +) amounts for 25% of the total amount of coaches. the A coach rating grade should only be given to the elite coaches, with the A+ being given to the elite of the elite. it shouldnt be just a linear progression that you can easily attain from one year to the next. having the best coach rating grade should a long time to get to. i got there in the tgt360 od, in just under a season and a half, having started at a D rating.

jaymo76
03-18-2012, 12:33 PM
I noticed that there was no mention of additions to CC in the NCAA 13 overview. I really hope that we do see a lot of additions but right now I am concerned we will see no changes over than a tinkering of logic.

JeffHCross
03-18-2012, 01:46 PM
I noticed that there was no mention of additions to CC in the NCAA 13 overview.I'm fairly confident that the list was purposefully vague/light.

baseballplyrmvp
03-31-2012, 10:22 AM
having the ability to negotiate contrct goals would be nice. you could choose to keep the cpu generated goal or add/lower the difficulty of certain goals, which would increase or decrease the amount of red/green arrows.

cbkillian133
04-06-2012, 10:30 AM
What kind of idea did you have in mind for this? Something like where you can only select one star school? Or maybe have you set your restrictions, say only coordinator positions and only 1 star schools allowed, and then have the game randomly generate a list of something like 5 schools that you have to choose from, based on those restrictions that you set up.

That would be a pretty fun idea, thinking about it. Just as an example, say I'd set my restrictions to only coordinator positions and 1 star teams, then maybe the game would generate me a list of 5 teams, say Florida Atlantic, New Mexico, Western Kentucky, Akron, and San Jose State. I think have to make my decision from only those 5 teams. Or even taking a step even further, have the game generate those teams, but only with specific offers from them. So say I'd get only OC offers from Florida Atlantic, Akron, and San Jose State, and offers for only DC from New Mexico and Western Kentucky.

So not only would you have to choose between some of the worst teams in the game, but then taking it a step further, you can choose what you want to be at those schools, you are limited to choosing between what they offer you. So if San Jose State offers you the OC position, but you want to be DC, you can't go there. You're then further limited to choosing between New Mexico or Western Kentucky if you want to be DC. Or you have to choose between being the OC at a team that maybe has the worst defense in the game, or DC at a team that has the worst offense in the game. It'd really make you sit down and truly consider which offer to accept.

That would be a nice little set up, have it as an option, during dynasty set up of course as most people probably wouldn't care for something like that, but have it as an option for us hardcore type of guys who want to have the limitations on us and have to make the tough, or impossible in some situations, choice. The fun factor levels on something like that would shoot through the roof for me. You'll really get that "strap in and go along for the ride" feeling at the beginning of each dynasty instead of choosing exactly where you start and under what conditions like now.

i agree mostly but if you want to have people start out at a 1star program they should have the option. some people like coaching their favorite team and dont want to wait so they should get an option to start a the bootom or coach their favorite school. people who play should also be able to select their playing style and a list of teams who fit the. example: someone likes running with the quarterback. they would get a list of teams with a scrambler starting qb.

SmoothPancakes
04-06-2012, 11:53 AM
i agree mostly but if you want to have people start out at a 1star program they should have the option. some people like coaching their favorite team and dont want to wait so they should get an option to start a the bootom or coach their favorite school. people who play should also be able to select their playing style and a list of teams who fit the. example: someone likes running with the quarterback. they would get a list of teams with a scrambler starting qb.

That's what I said and mentioned in my last paragraph.

That would be a nice little set up, have it as an option, during dynasty set up of course as most people probably wouldn't care for something like that, but have it as an option for us hardcore type of guys who want to have the limitations on us and have to make the tough, or impossible in some situations, choice.

JeffHCross
04-06-2012, 04:25 PM
As I mentioned on the last page, I'm pretty confident that the existing mechanic already does exactly what cbkillian133 outlined. It allows you to play how you want to play.

SmoothPancakes
04-06-2012, 08:43 PM
As I mentioned on the last page, I'm pretty confident that the existing mechanic already does exactly what cbkillian133 outlined. It allows you to play how you want to play.

Exactly. Now add a second option similar to legacy mode in CH2K8 where the game gives you a list of say 3 or 5 of the worst teams (all 1 star teams) and each only offers you either OC or DC, and then from there on out, you work your way up the chart like a new, young coach would. Have it be either it's own separate mode or a specific option in the dynasty settings that you have to enable when setting up your dynasty.

JeffHCross
04-06-2012, 10:57 PM
the game gives you a list of say 3 or 5 of the worst teams (all 1 star teams) and each only offers you either OC or DC, and then from there on out, you work your way up the chart like a new, young coach would.Okay, but how is that any different from starting a new dynasty and selecting "1-star" programs and "coordinator" jobs? Besides the fact that the game arbitrarily limits it to the worst of the worst.

The reason it was split, in my opinion, in CH2k was because the two paths were treated completely differently. If you took over as Duke Coach, you didn't level up, you didn't have achievements or goals, and you didn't have a carousel. They were, for all intents and purposes, two different modes.

But it seems like what you're suggesting is a mechanic to limit yourself to choices that you should consciously be able to self-limit anyway. Particularly because, as far as I know, once you take that 1-star coordinator job, you're effectively moving up the ranks like a 1-star coordinator would have to (at least such as it is inside the NCAA universe).

SmoothPancakes
04-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Just forget it. Obviously I can't get across in words and text the layout and system that I'm seeing in my mind, so it doesn't matter. To hell with it, just move on.

baseballplyrmvp
04-07-2012, 11:55 AM
does the coach prestige rating only take into account the current year or is your past record at completing goals also included?

i've completed every goal on my contract in the tgt360 od for the past 3 years as an oc. for the past 2 years i've been a run&shoot team, but i changed my playbook to USC in the offseason hoping to get an offer from them, however they didnt offer. :fdown:

so i re-signed with SMU, only the contract goals were set up for a pro-style offense, since i couldnt change my playbook back. now i have goals like 2000 yards rushing being :6greenarrow:, which will never happen for me, and 15+ rushing tds being :6redarrow::6greenarrow:. additionally, there's this one that i'm really concerned about: 65% completion average every year of contract being :4redarrow::4greenarrow:.

so if i fail on those 3 rushing goals, is my coach prestige rating gonna take a huge hit, even though i'm like 40 of 40 with completing contract goals so far?