PDA

View Full Version : (Online) Dynasty, DynastyWire, & StoryBuilder - NCAA Football 13 Wish List & Feedback

cdj
07-11-2011, 09:48 PM
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA11/NCAAFootballLogo.jpg

Dynasty Mode (Online and Off), Dynasty Wire, & Story Builder

Use this thread for wish list & feedback items relating to Interface changes or improvements you would like to see in NCAA Football 13.

Be clear, but concise in making your wishes. Any off-topic posts will be deleted.

morsdraconis
07-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Full Coach Mode for ODs including usability for User vs User games.

Make the commish have the ability to designate Coach Mode for every user in the dynasty instead of it being something that a user has to setup before each game.

Alex Webster
07-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Online co-op mode:
Players choose between playing as HC/OC/DC or player on the field; the other co-op partner has to take the other option. Could be quite interesting I guess.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

osufan4life
07-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Some way to watch other user vs user games in OD's. (instant INSTANT replay uploads... game cast or even just simple drive charts). Preferably all available on console and on the web.

TheMacAttack
07-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Keep it as is.

oweb26
07-13-2011, 01:02 PM
I still think my biggest thing is "play now" games in the OD. If they include this user can casually play each other when things start moving slow or even let us save our rosters onto our HD so we can then go back and play old teams, that way you can have sort of a "all-time greats" competition.

So instead of speculating which team in the OD was the best going over numerous years you can prove it by just loading them up and going for it.

This will also let teams do sort of a tournament if they choose to if they are hosting on a website or something. Generally there are alot of possibilities if they let us do "play now" with our OD teams.

Maybe this should go into new features as well.

strattjw
07-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Improvements to Custom Conferences. Ability to add or remove a conference. Ability to rename a conference. If I bring in the Ivy League I hate having them called the Sun Belt in the game! Custom logos for conferences. Ability to customize rivalries for teams. Ability to modify conference prestige for conferences. Ability to modify conference game schedule. Ability to add new neutral site games. Ability to expand beyond 120 teams.

Add an option for post season playoffs.

Awards ceremonies.

SmoothPancakes
07-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Improvements to Custom Conferences. Ability to add or remove a conference. Ability to rename a conference. If I bring in the Ivy League I hate having them called the Sun Belt in the game! Custom logos for conferences. Ability to customize rivalries for teams. Ability to modify conference prestige for conferences. Ability to modify conference game schedule. Ability to add new neutral site games. Ability to expand beyond 120 teams.

Add an option for post season playoffs.

Awards ceremonies.

While there could be a tiny chance, odds are, never gonna happen. As long as the BCS exists, the NCAA will never sign off on and agree to EA putting an option for playoffs in the game.

souljahbill
07-14-2011, 05:54 PM
While there could be a tiny chance, odds are, never gonna happen. As long as the BCS exists, the NCAA will never sign off on and agree to EA putting an option for playoffs in the game.

Or allow people to delete conferences. Add? Maybe? Delete? Highly improbable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmoothPancakes
07-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Or allow people to delete conferences. Add? Maybe? Delete? Highly improbable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, you may be right. While I would love to dismantle the Big 12 and bring back the SWC and Big 8, I don't know if the NCAA would agree with stuff like completely deleting conferences.

On another note, please EA, finally allow us to have more than 120 teams! Because we are limited to a hard limit of 120 teams, while trying to keep the NCAA layout reflecting real life, I have to leave South Alabama, UMass, and others making the jump to the FBS division in the next few years in the dust because I can't add them without kicking out someone already in the FBS.

UCBearcat4ever
07-16-2011, 09:41 AM
put teams in their right timezone, Don't want see USC or Washington or any team from west coast area in dynasty with a noon game eastern time which will have it as a 9 am west coast game they should be 330 eastern time games or later. Only time west coast teams should play noon est game is on the road at east coast school.

other stuff
The ability for the home team to set times for non-conference game in dynasty (like in real life). have the conference set times, if a high game noon, 3:30, 8pm, bad one, 12, 3:30 7, no tv

add ESPNU Signing Day Special, where top players select choice, show where teams and players final class rankings, have top spaq100 recruits commit on signing day, with players changing choice or deciding at last minute. show top players selecting in cut scene

UCBearcat4ever
07-18-2011, 10:09 AM
make the coaching more realistic when calling timeouts for computer would like see more timeouts called cuz coach might feel he losing his team to the crowd or they called wrong play and had wrong people on field

psuexv
07-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Still seeing the same issue as last year with the Game Details page. It shows the Quarter Scoring for 1 team and then the correct scoring break down for the actual teams you clicked on. Hopefully this will all be fixed with the update that is coming out - fingers crossed -

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m521/psuexv/gamee.jpg

SmoothPancakes
07-18-2011, 11:42 AM
How often does that happen? I just went through and checked all the games I've played so far in my single player OD, and all the teams and scoring summaries were correct for each game.

psuexv
07-18-2011, 11:48 AM
How often does that happen? I just went through and checked all the games I've played so far in my single player OD, and all the teams and scoring summaries were correct for each game.

I should have stated this with the original. But it's an issue when viewing games details from the Schedule section. If you are in the stories and click game details it populates correctly.

The other thing is it may only be an issue with multi person ODs. From what I've seen and in this case it usually populates with another user controlled team. If you could check that out that that would be cool.

SmoothPancakes
07-18-2011, 11:52 AM
I should have stated this with the original. But it's an issue when viewing games details from the Schedule section. If you are in the stories and click game details it populates correctly.

The other thing is it may only be an issue with multi person ODs. From what I've seen and in this case it usually populates with another user controlled team. If you could check that out that that would be cool.

Yeah, I was looking at all the game details from the Schedule section, so at least for me, in my single player OD, it was fine. When I jump online in a little bit, I'll create a multiple user dynasty and see if that issue shows up for me.

MKNODE58 ESBA
07-18-2011, 07:22 PM
i would like to know how you use the dynasty wire? i'm on the website and dont know how to write one. yes i'm wanting this achievment but i can't seem to find out how to get it. i've joined an online dynasty as well. thanks for the help guys.

SmoothPancakes
07-18-2011, 07:31 PM
i would like to know how you use the dynasty wire? i'm on the website and dont know how to write one. yes i'm wanting this achievment but i can't seem to find out how to get it. i've joined an online dynasty as well. thanks for the help guys.

Go into the menus for the dynasty that you joined. Click on Stories. Then you'll see right at the very top, on the right side, "Create New Story with Storybuilder".

Here's a picture from my Dynasty Wire OD site to show you what I'm talking about.

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx305/SmoothPancakes/Storybuilder.jpg

MKNODE58 ESBA
07-18-2011, 07:35 PM
is that how you get the achievement? i wrote a story but didnt get it. any other advice? and thanks by the way.

SmoothPancakes
07-18-2011, 07:43 PM
is that how you get the achievement? i wrote a story but didnt get it. any other advice? and thanks by the way.

Oh, you're talking about the achievement. I thought you were just asking about where to write stories. To get the achievement, all you have to do is comment on any story, either man-made or created by the CPU. Just comment on one and the achievement should pop right after you submit the comment.

MKNODE58 ESBA
07-18-2011, 07:54 PM
ok sweet thank you!

SmoothPancakes
07-18-2011, 08:21 PM
ok sweet thank you!

Not a problem man. Happy to help. :)

onikuno
07-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Can we add dynamic field art for conference title games that are played at different locals? I hate when I host the Pac-12 title game at the Holiday Bowl site that it uses the Holiday Bowl field art.

UCBearcat4ever
07-19-2011, 03:21 PM
at the end of seasons, could have Senior Bowl, Texas vs The Nation game, East-West Shrine Game. where you could play them

psuexv
07-20-2011, 10:38 AM
I want all recruit ratings for each category. Currently you can only see and download certain ones by position. Big example is that acceleration doesn't show up for WR.

psusnoop
07-20-2011, 12:15 PM
I want all recruit ratings for each category. Currently you can only see and download certain ones by position. Big example is that acceleration doesn't show up for WR.

:up: I completely agree.

DuffHouse12
07-21-2011, 04:54 PM
how about the ability to schedule Neutral Site games??? I would love to play Notre Dame v. Maryland @ FedEx Field or things like that. As a fan of Notre Dame, we play A LOT of Neutral site games - mainly at New Meadowlands Stadium, Yankee Stadium, and others.

psuexv
07-25-2011, 08:36 AM
I thought we had a recruiting Wish List last year but don't see one this year so I'll put it here. Recruits shouldn't be able to sign with a school if the CPU doesn't even offer them a schollie. They should have to walk on after recruiting is over if they really want to go there

baseballplyrmvp
08-02-2011, 10:13 PM
i'm in an online dynasty where everyone was required to be a d-coordinator for a 1* school. one of the conditions though, was that the cpu set up our recruiting boards in the preseason, and then we could only talk to the defensive recruits on our board throughout the year.

one improvement with cpu recruiting, is that since i have the cpu recruiting assistance options on (only for this od), i'd like to cpu to recognize that if i manually remove a player from my board during the season, that same recruit shouldnt be added again the next week. add a different recruit. otherwise when i go to offer a scholarship, i dont get any points for it.

Dukie98
08-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I was looking at all the game details from the Schedule section, so at least for me, in my single player OD, it was fine. When I jump online in a little bit, I'll create a multiple user dynasty and see if that issue shows up for me.

I've had the same problem in a multiplayer OD. Most- but not all - of the time, the scoring summary corresponds to the teams involved in the game, but the "player stats" tab usually brings up stats from a different game- so instead of bringing up stats from my Western Michigan team, it might bring up the stats from the Tulane-UAB game, for instance. As best as I can tell, it will be from another team's game within the OD, but there's no rhyme or reason as to what team's stats come up. This problem occurs even within the "stories" link.

Basmare
08-04-2011, 04:59 PM
This might be a minor thing, but I gave some thought to the coaches poll, as it's part of the BCS system - if you are a HC - some participation in the poll maybe? Might that be something?

baseballplyrmvp
08-11-2011, 08:38 PM
possible new recruiting feature: give the commish the ability to tune the tendancy of recruits every year

instead of having an equal number of scrambling, pocket passers, and balanced qb's every year, how about the commish sets which tendancy will be more prevalant each year. say one year, there's an abundance of pocket passing qb's, the next year features scrambling qb's, the third year goes back to pocket passers, the 4th features balanced, etc etc etc.

illwill10
08-13-2011, 02:00 AM
- Improve Recruits or allow us to edit recruits from recruiting menu
- Add Emails and Notifications from players, recruits, AD, fans, coach, scouts
-Coach Ratings. Coaches give boost to some position. Recruit grades. Coaches with good Recruit grade will recruit great players
-Positional Coaches.
-Ability to Import Coach into Madden.
--GameDay. Doesnt have to be over the top. They go over and pick game winners of Top 3-5 games. Players to Watch. Award and Season Updates.
- Improve Heisman presentation. Add back Heisman Presentation from Last-gen. I use to remember me wanting them to change it, now I win it
- Redo Recruiting
- Draft Projections. I would like to see how a players projects to NFL
- ESPN Player Evaluations. I would like to see a description of a players playing style and ability. EX. He is a Tough Inside Runner. Is more of a One Cut Runner. Great Vision. AVg Speed. CB is a Shutdown Corner. Recognizes routes. Great Closing Ability. Great Ball Skill. Avg Tackler

baseballplyrmvp
09-07-2011, 09:39 PM
dynasty wire addition:

ability to see the team stats, like total offense (rushing, passing, etc), total defense, etc.

UCBearcat4ever
09-12-2011, 11:04 PM
in coaches mode have the onfield graphic, ESPN uses with down/Distance with Play clock (http://www.sportsgeekery.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/espn35.jpg)

OSUCowboyofMD
09-15-2011, 01:36 PM
ESPN Bottomline

JeffHCross
09-15-2011, 10:04 PM
in coaches mode have the onfield graphic, ESPN uses with down/Distance with Play clock (http://www.sportsgeekery.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/espn35.jpg)They don't have it now? I thought they did.

JeffHCross
10-30-2011, 06:18 PM
For Dynasty Wire:
The Roster lists every player with Height / Weight / Hometown. However, of these three, only the Hometown is included in the Data Export feature. It would be nice to see Height and Weight in the Data Export.

Dukie98
11-09-2011, 06:36 PM
I've noticed a weird bug in the online game stories. For the first season of my OD, it ran fine. In the second season, however, for each game, it randomly replaces a few words with a string of asterisks-- even if I go back and try to correct it, the asterisks remain. Here's an example:

On a snowy Saturday in Philadelphia, the #12 Western Michigan Broncos relied on a strong ground game to defeat ******************** teams were 4-0 in MAC play headed into the game

I've had it happen to names, numbers, verbs, etc. -- usually a couple times per story. Has anyone else seen this?

Bohica1010
12-22-2011, 10:10 PM
I would like to see that when you use the online week advance that it count your win to your totals. That and/or the ability to have the commish be able to edit if necessary.

Also, the ability to be able to save your profile after you receive any awards to ensure they are actually there instead of just autosave. I won coach of the year, checked my awards and it was there, but the next time i logged in to show it off, it was gone.

JeffHCross
12-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Also, the ability to be able to save your profile after you receive any awards to ensure they are actually there instead of just autosave. I won coach of the year, checked my awards and it was there, but the next time i logged in to show it off, it was gone.Even with Auto Save on (which means this shouldn't ever be a problem), you should be able to manually save your profile inside the game. I don't think you can do it from within Online Dynasty (which is one thing that should be added), but you should able to manually save your profile from the main menu.

baylorbear10
01-01-2012, 04:20 PM
The recruiting needs to be a little more balanced & there should be an east-west shrine game or the under armour game where you can play the games with the top recruits.

Bohica1010
01-07-2012, 11:53 PM
A couple other things:

They should have the "NCAA game records" in online dynasty like they do in the solo dynasty. If you break a 93 yard run for the NCAA record, there isn't any where you see it like in solo dynasty.

They should have a coaches card for plays where you can have your own name to a row and then pick the plays that apply for you next to it. A left to right grid. Similar to what the pros use now. Since they have "by formation" and "by play type" the could have "Coaches Card" Then you could put the plays you use on it regularly. 3rd and less than 4, and then list the plays I like to run next to it with the pics. It would be a good middle ground for people that only want 30 plays in their playbook, they could just put those on the card. I can create a screenshot if it makes it easier to understand.

More complete stats on the online dynasty page. Or at least be able to download instead of the just the individual leaders, be able to pull and save the team data too.

I would like to see something like they did with Madden (this might be a few years back when Farve was on the cover since I never play it anymore) where they did a hall of fame for you. Where you could see you records like your longest run, FG and etc. Also have it break it down by level. a 97 yard run on Heisman is more impressive than on Varsity and it would be nice to see the difference. Also be able to compare it to your friends.

I would like to see the walk-on process at the very end so that when a good school cuts a good player, you pick them up. Wisconsin's 4th back may get cut as a 85, but if he were to walk-on at Eastern Michigan he would be the starter.

I would like to see through the season what schools are interested in you for positions. If you choose to talk to them it builds their desire for you, however if you are in year 1 or 2 of a 3 year contract, it will take away from your prestige. I would also like to see more than two jobs on the Carousel. If you just won the National Championship, there will be a lot of schools wanting you from where you should have your pick.

Bohica1010
01-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Even with Auto Save on (which means this shouldn't ever be a problem), you should be able to manually save your profile inside the game. I don't think you can do it from within Online Dynasty (which is one thing that should be added), but you should able to manually save your profile from the main menu.

I know it shouldn't have been a problem, but I lost my player awards for a whole season and my coach of the year (which is the one I really cared about).

That was actually the problem, I exited out of the league as you normally would, and when I went to my profile they were gone. I hadn't even turned of my PS3.

While in my online dynasty, I had already gone in to my Trophy Room under My NCAA and viewed in under the Award tab. On that screen there is no option to save. None of the options under My NCAA or Commish Tools give you an option to save, it is all auto-saved by the computer. That was when I was when I tried to exit the league to the Main Screen.

Bohica1010
01-08-2012, 12:13 AM
I've noticed a weird bug in the online game stories. For the first season of my OD, it ran fine. In the second season, however, for each game, it randomly replaces a few words with a string of asterisks-- even if I go back and try to correct it, the asterisks remain. Here's an example:

On a snowy Saturday in Philadelphia, the #12 Western Michigan Broncos relied on a strong ground game to defeat ******************** teams were 4-0 in MAC play headed into the game

I've had it happen to names, numbers, verbs, etc. -- usually a couple times per story. Has anyone else seen this?

I still see this all the time. I am not sure if it is taking out words it thinks are inappropriate or one thing I found was the length maybe of what I was typing. I know I tried to use the word killed, as in, "SMU got killed by Wisconsin" and killed was just ******

baseballplyrmvp
01-12-2012, 08:13 PM
how bout a weekly recruiting show from erin andrews, highlighting like the top ranked recruits who commit during the season? they could use almost the exact same lines from rtg. it'd be a nice little thing that would let you know what else is going on in your dynasty.

Bohica1010
01-18-2012, 09:57 AM
I would like to see the Commish have the option to "sim for a loss". For those OD's that don't allow game restarts, instead of just the option to "sim" where they could still win, make sure that they lose.

Bohica1010
01-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Be able to watch other player vs player games on the OD like you would a game on TV.

JeffHCross
01-18-2012, 08:14 PM
I would like to see the Commish have the option to "sim for a loss". For those OD's that don't allow game restarts, instead of just the option to "sim" where they could still win, make sure that they lose.It'd be nice to have it either way, either sim a sure-win or a sure-loss. As it stands right now, the commish has no control over the sim result.

Bohica1010
01-19-2012, 10:46 AM
I would like to see after the "Players Leaving" week in the off season that it show a NFL draft to see where your players went in the draft. I know you can import them in to Madden, however since I don't enjoying playing Madden, I would still like to see where they went. Since the year to year in the NFL would be random anyway, the system picking the order and whatever for the draft would just be fun.

JeffHCross
01-19-2012, 09:28 PM
I would like to see after the "Players Leaving" week in the off season that it show a NFL draft to see where your players went in the draft.I feel like they had that back on the Playstation. Probably was removed when they added the ability to import players into Madden.

Zippysavage05
01-20-2012, 01:08 PM
This one is for online and offline dynasty:
I'm a person that loves to play dynasty but take a one star school and build them up to become a power house. Only issue I'm having with building them up is nothing changes when you get your school to become a six star school. I want to see "Dynasty Points"! What if each thing you did during your season made you gain dynasty points i.e. Pass yards in a season, pass TDs in a season, same with running, receiving, defensive tackles, sacks, ints, things like that but also you gain them when your team has win streaks, bowl bids, rivalry wins, players that make the list for awards, All Americans, etc. You get dynasty points to put towards your school growth. Put those points towards things that help with recruiting like Academic Prestige, Campus Lifestyle, Athletic Facilities, etc. Then instead of just seeing how well your team developed in the off-season even though you have no idea what they did to improve or where they're going to improve, make it to where you pick specifically what they train on each off-season (Man Cov, Zone Cov, Tackle, etc.) for each type of player (QB, RB, WR, TE, LB, CD, etc.), but not individual player. The way to determine how great stat gain your players get should be based upon how good your coaches are for that position. You don't ever see just one coach on the sideline or in practices. You see DB coaches, OL coaches, WR coaches, etc making up the coaching staff and each coach focuses on their type of players. Make the coaches have abilities such as skill improvement in specific areas (jumping, catching, acceleration, man coverage).

Summary:
Give us more coaches that actually do something for our team
"Dynasty Points" to make your school better in various areas
Give us the opportunity to make our players improve in specific skills

Bohica1010
01-23-2012, 10:34 AM
As a Commish of an OD give us the option to see other schools transfer requests. It makes it easier to advance past that week if you can see no one wants to transfer to the other human controlled teams.

Also, would like to see user history on the website.

cdj
01-25-2012, 02:53 PM
I still see this all the time. I am not sure if it is taking out words it thinks are inappropriate or one thing I found was the length maybe of what I was typing. I know I tried to use the word killed, as in, "SMU got killed by Wisconsin" and killed was just ******

StoryBuilder censors some weird words. The other day it censored "Championship." There were a couple others that also got ******, but that was the most startling one. I can't figure out what letter combo in there would set it off.

psuexv
01-25-2012, 02:59 PM
StoryBuilder censors some weird words. The other day it censored "Championship." There were a couple others that also got ******, but that was the most startling one. I can't figure out what letter combo in there would set it off.

I've seen a couple that were completely bizarre. Typed "took a 14-0 lead" and it read "took *****4-0 lead"

Jayrah
01-26-2012, 02:06 AM
Ok this is kinda big for me actually. A couple connected requests from EA asap in OD.
1: I don't know what happens from the first to ninth year of a dynasty that 4-8 and 5-7 teams make Bowls, but there's gotta be an absolute "no 6 wins = no bowls" code somewhere that must be implimented for the DURATION OF ALL DYNASTIES.

2: I would like the "Bowl status" to update which bowls they think you're going to based not only on current standings, but rediction of win/loss throughout the regular season. If the cpu has you losing a conference championship it should reflect that in the prediction.

JeffHCross
01-26-2012, 10:40 PM
1: I don't know what happens from the first to ninth year of a dynasty that 4-8 and 5-7 teams make Bowls, but there's gotta be an absolute "no 6 wins = no bowls" code somewhere that must be implimented for the DURATION OF ALL DYNASTIES.In past years, you only saw this happen when there weren't enough 6-6 teams to qualify for all the bowls. Strange that it's gotten worse.

If the cpu has you losing a conference championship it should reflect that in the prediction.I'm 99% sure that there's actually no predicting going on, and it solely uses current standings. So "if the season ended today".

SmoothPancakes
01-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Ok this is kinda big for me actually. A couple connected requests from EA asap in OD.
1: I don't know what happens from the first to ninth year of a dynasty that 4-8 and 5-7 teams make Bowls, but there's gotta be an absolute "no 6 wins = no bowls" code somewhere that must be implimented for the DURATION OF ALL DYNASTIES.

2: I would like the "Bowl status" to update which bowls they think you're going to based not only on current standings, but rediction of win/loss throughout the regular season. If the cpu has you losing a conference championship it should reflect that in the prediction.

In past years, you only saw this happen when there weren't enough 6-6 teams to qualify for all the bowls. Strange that it's gotten worse.

I'm 99% sure that there's actually no predicting going on, and it solely uses current standings. So "if the season ended today".

In my most recent season in my FIU dynasty, I had a 5-7 Florida team get into a bowl game over a 7-5 Idaho, 7-5 San Jose State and 6-6 Hawaii.

TIMB0B
05-28-2012, 02:20 AM
I'd like for there to be an option of "in-depth recruiting." I say option because some people think there's too much already. So, this is how I'd break the recruiting modes down...

A) - The CPU recruits for you like old school College Football USA 96. At the end of the season, the CPU randomly selects commits based on how your team performed and their prestige in the given year.

B) - The standard user-controlled 5 week post-season recruiting only, which was introduced in NCAA Football 98 (I believe).

C) - The existing setup: In-season recruiting + 5 week post-season recruiting.

D) - In-season recruiting + 5 week post-season recruiting + off-season recruiting.

In real life, there are 4 types of recruiting periods set by the NCAA: Quiet, Evaluation, Contact, and Dead periods. For the purposes of this post, I'll only be using the Quiet and Evaluation periods as it pertains to off-season recruiting.

Quiet Period = Coaches are allowed to call recruits (and offer scholarships). Recruits can visit coaches, but can only do so at the coaches' respective colleges (i.e. unofficial visit).

Evaluation Period = Assistant Coaches are permitted to visit recruits off-campus (as well as make calls and scholarship offers).

The real off-season recruiting calendar set by the NCAA is as follows...

1st week of February (the day after Signing Day) - April 14th = Quiet Period
April 15th - May 31st = Evaluation Period
June 1st - July 31st = Quiet Period

Here's what I'm suggesting with the "D" mode (off-season) recruiting...

Off-season Tasks

1st week of February
- Signing Day
- Next season's Top 100 Recruits 'Watch' List released
- Recruiting: Notification of any prospects that will attend your school's Junior Day Event
- Recruiting: Select Prospects for Recruit Board
(Advance to next period)

February (day after NSD) - April 14th (Quiet Period)
- Spring Position Changes (including early enrollees)
- Spring Depth Chart (Divvy up reps to each position group by percentage points totaling 100%)
- Recruiting: Notification of any prospects that will attend your school's Spring Game
- Recruiting: Calls / Scholarship Offers permitted
- Spring Game (option to play or sim)
(Advance to next period)

April 15th - May 31st (Evaluation Period)
- Training Results (including early enrollees)
- Recruiting: Notification of any prospects that will attend your school's Summer Football Camp
- Recruiting: Calls / Scholarship Offers; Off-Campus Coach Visits permitted (this period only)
(Advance to next period)

June 1st - July 31st (Quiet Period)
- Official Top 100 Recruits List released
- Recruiting: Calls / Scholarship Offers
- Summer Position Changes (including non-early enrollees who have now arrived on campus as well as walk-ons)
(Advance to next period)

August (Pre-season Tasks)
- Pre-season Depth Chart
- Redshirts
- Cut Players
- Schedule Changes
- Recruiting: Calls / Scholarship Offers; Official Visits now permitted (beginning of Contact Period)
- Begin Season
(Advance to regular season)

NOTES:

Junior Day, Spring Game, and Summer Camps are all unofficial visits i.e. prospects randomly attend based on interest level and/or location. The spring game DOES NOT determine off-season training. Practice does. And practice is simulated by setting the rep percentage of your players in spring depth chart.

Spring depth chart is essentially spring practice. Each specific position group in your offense/defense scheme (based on playbooks) has a cumulative total of 100% reps. Example of a pro-form offense's position groups: QB, RB, FB, TE, SE, FL, LT, LG, C, RG, RT. Each one of those groups totals to 100% reps.

Then, you divvy up that 100% within each position group. Say you have 3 QBs. You give your starter 50% reps, back-up 30%, and 3rd string 20%.
1 - QB = 50%
2 - QB = 30%
3 - QB = 20%

And you do this for each position...
1 - RB = 40%
2 - RB = 30%
3 - RB = 20%
4 - RB = 10%

The amount of reps, coupled with a player's potential (which is hidden), will determine the offseason training results. It's also a risk/reward scenario. You could give one player all 100% of the reps at his position, leaving the others with 0%, where your reward is maximum progression for that player depending on his potential rating, however you risk injury. Conversely, if a player gets a small percentage of reps, you risk that player transferring or minimal to no training results. This would also play a huge role for CPU A.I. when they oversign too many players at one position, like having 5 QBs on a roster. The 4th and/or 5th string QBs would be getting screwed in the rep department and may transfer.

The game should have a default percentage already set up, then you could manipulate it from there.

This would give you some control over the development of your players. But just as coaching in real life, there are risk/rewards to these decisions. Hidden potential ratings, though, are the key in keeping offseason progression from being cheesed.

The current off-season tasks as of NCAA 2012 features 5 advancements (Signing Day / Position Changes / Training Results / Cut Players / Pre-season Tasks). The example I have given of an in-depth off-season recruiting also has 5 advancements. However, there are now 4 additional recruiting opportunities, a Spring Game, and 2 opportunities for Position Changes (Spring and Summer).

TIMB0B
05-28-2012, 03:04 AM
I think the aggressive/conservative "gameplan adjustments" needs an overhaul. This is a long write up, but I just want to make sure I explain it thoroughly. It's not an overwhelming whole-scale change, but a reworking of gameplan.

First, almost all of the adjustments currently aren't applicable to a gameplan. These adjustments (Big Run, Hold Block, Jump Snap, Strip Ball, Swat/INT, etc.) should strictly fall under a player's specific attributes such as awareness, skill, and discipline (a Discipline attribute should be created regarding a player's penalty propensity - based on their GPA); but there are some of these adjustments that do pertain to coaching philosophy: Zone depth, Option defense (more on this in a moment).

The existing gameplan adjustments don't have to be scrapped in a sense, but merely embedded into the player's attributes giving them more unique identities of whether they're a playmaker or simply a role player - actually bringing the player tendencies to fruition. For example, why should a run stopping tendency DL-man have the same Jump Snap advantage as a pass rushing tendency DL-man? And what does jumping a snap have to do with a gameplan? Coaches ideally would like their DL-men to get off the ball quickly all the time.

And for coaches specifically, playcall aggressiveness should determine the zone depths and option defense (noted above) from the current gameplan adjustments. This is such an important slider because it would give coaches a unique identity as well. Zone blocking, man-to-man blocking, or a balance of both; this could go a long way with offensive playcall aggressiveness. For example, if your coach is aggressive, he'd run a zone blocking scheme. Man-to-man would be conservative. Balanced would include both.

Okay, let's move on to my "gameplan" suggestion...

To make gameplan more authentic, think about what a gameplan is. A gameplan involves at least 2 factors: Your scheme vs your opponent's scheme. So, an ideal way to overhaul gameplan is to base it off of those 2 factors and go from there.

Not much needs to be added to do this. Here's why...

The game currently already has a pseudo gameplan option in the "coach philosophy" menu with the playbook selections, run/pass ratio slider, aggressive playcall slider, and the substitution slider. However, this is for when simulating your games, and does not affect your playcall menu in-game when you actually play.

So, this is what I suggest...

Step 1: Load your game to the "controller select" menu. At this point, your specific offensive & defensive playbooks lock in place as well as your "Aggressive Playcall" slider setting, so if you want to change these you need to back out and do it under coach philosophy.

Step 2: Scout opponent. Like the current "uniform option" at the bottom of the screen, a "scout opponent" option is available where you toggle and see your opponent's playbooks and their run/pass slider settings compared to yours.

Step 3: Create a gameplan. Under the scout opponent option, you can adjust your run/pass sliders for both offense and defense to counter your opponent's. Keep in mind, they may be adjusting theirs to yours.

Step 4: Start game.

Now, here's what your adjustment does. Once you're in-game at the playcall screen, there are three options: "Ask Coach," "By Formation," and "Play Type," Your "gameplan" will be toggled under the "Ask Coach" option. Your pre-game slider adjustments will have sorted/eliminated plays from your playbook and consolidated it into the "Ask Coach" option. However, it doesn't stop there. Your playbook is condensed even further by your "Aggressive Playcall" slider setting. Again, the aggressive playcall slider is unique because it gives your head coach and coordinators a coaching style identity. This slider setting, for a D-coordinator, would determine the aggressive/balanced/conservative zone depth from the existing "gameplan adjustments" the game has.

An example: you're playing an Air Raid offense, so you adjust your sliders to a heavy pass defense ratio. Your base defense may be a 4-3, but your gameplan would remove any formations that don't have at least 5 defensive backs. So all 4-3 formations, 5-2, 4-4, etc. would be removed. Then, with your playcall aggressiveness slider setting (say it's set to very conservative), it would remove all plays with blitzes as well, condensing your playbook to a specific gameplan. With this example, it's a very conservative pass defense gameplan.

On top of all this, coach prestige could be factored in. When you select the "ask coach" option (i.e. your gameplan), if your coordinator is an A+, he would suggest a play that would most effectively work given the situation (1st down, 2nd down, 3rd and long, 3rd and short, etc.). Conversely, if he's a D, he will suggest a poor play given the situation. How the play works, though, ultimately depends on the user (at least offensively).

Even with all this, you could still abandoned your gameplan by simply selecting plays from the "By Formation" or "Play Type" options.

Side note: "No-Huddle" should be added to coach philosophy. There needs to be an actual option to toggle whether you're a huddle/no-huddle offensive team. And in the game, if you're a no-huddle team, you shouldn't have to ever hit the no-huddle button, it automatically goes no-huddle. And if you change formations, it should make the applicable adjustments. A WR shouldn't line up at TE. (Substitutions are still allowed. If you notice in a real game, the ref will stand over the ball. That's because if the offense makes a substitution, the defense is allowed to as well, therefore they stop play until the defense makes their substitutions. Other than that, the offense can snap it as quick as possible if they don't make substitutions. I'd like to see an illegal sub penalty.)

JeffHCross
05-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Nice stuff, TIM. The hard part I see with your idea of the different levels is A) Effectively communicating that to a non-community (i.e. doesn't read the blogs) user; B) Giving us those options while not putting users that use Freshman/Varsity at a sizable disadvantage. This is assuming that, within an OD, users would be able to choose which method they want to use (rather than it being a set difficulty level across the board). Otherwise, if you can't mix and match options, then I can't see how it's really an "option" -- OD users would be forced to use the more in depth recruiting if their commish wanted to. Since you seem to be taking away recruiting assistance from the CPU (unless I'm simply misreading), then that would be a loss of feature for the guys that don't want to spend the time.

But, like I said, otherwise that's a great idea. Great write-ups too.

Side note: "No-Huddle" should be added to coach philosophy. There needs to be an actual option to toggle whether you're a huddle/no-huddle offensive team. And in the game, if you're a no-huddle team, you shouldn't have to ever hit the no-huddle button, it automatically goes no-huddle. And if you change formations, it should make the applicable adjustments. A WR shouldn't line up at TE. (Substitutions are still allowed. If you notice in a real game, the ref will stand over the ball. That's because if the offense makes a substitution, the defense is allowed to as well, therefore they stop play until the defense makes their substitutions. Other than that, the offense can snap it as quick as possible if they don't make substitutions. I'd like to see an illegal sub penalty.)Agreed!!!! Though the only way to make this really effective is to bring back the presentation from NCAA 2000 (or PS1-era in general) where your players actually left the huddle and went to the sideline. While they wouldn't be leaving the huddle in this case, there'd have to be some way they were shown leaving the field, otherwise the defensive coach may not know he was able to make changes (again, the problem being how to communicate this effectively to the user).

I really loved the presentation of taking guys off the field, because that added risk/reward to changing formations if you were late in the play clock. If you made a really late change, you may not even break the huddle before the play clock ran out. That was a huge to me.

I also love your idea because I wouldn't have to constantly mash the No Huddle button. There are way too many times that I'm trying to no huddle and it doesn't trigger, for whatever reason. I'd love to see it added to the Gameplan menu as a toggle too -- that would make the two minute offense considerably easier. Keep the button for the "I need to take advantage of this defense!" moments, but make it easier to do sustained No Huddling.

morsdraconis
05-28-2012, 09:39 AM
I don't think you'd need to actually do anything like actually making players leave the field and others coming on. You could do something as simple as just have a constant message above the play call screen indicating whether or not subs are allowed and have a fairly big (on the screen) countdown of 5 seconds or so showing when that's applicable based on the offense changing their formation and making subs themselves.

It's VERY doable in a way that makes sense without having to go through the hoops of of cutscene or something showing players coming in and out.

More than that though, I think there should be a logical amount of subs allowed at all times. How many times do you see teams rush subs out there at the last possible second trying to get a sub in before the team hikes the ball again? I've seen it done numerous times in college and pro football and not only when the offense makes changes as well.

JeffHCross
05-28-2012, 09:48 AM
I don't think you'd need to actually do anything like actually making players leave the field and others coming on.Oh, I know. I'd just love any excuse for that to come back. It was awesome, to me.

It's VERY doable in a way that makes sense without having to go through the hoops of of cutscene or something showing players coming in and out.It wasn't a cutscene. They'd just leave the field while you were changing formations (i.e. if you changed personnel), and if you called your play before they'd gotten back the huddle, you'd be able to see them come back. No jarring cutscene or anything like that involved.

More than that though, I think there should be a logical amount of subs allowed at all times.Agreed. When the offense is running no huddle, the defense should be able to take the risk of subs.

morsdraconis
05-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Nice stuff, TIM. The hard part I see with your idea of the different levels is A) Effectively communicating that to a non-community (i.e. doesn't read the blogs) user; B) Giving us those options while not putting users that use Freshman/Varsity at a sizable disadvantage. This is assuming that, within an OD, users would be able to choose which method they want to use (rather than it being a set difficulty level across the board). Otherwise, if you can't mix and match options, then I can't see how it's really an "option" -- OD users would be forced to use the more in depth recruiting if their commish wanted to. Since you seem to be taking away recruiting assistance from the CPU (unless I'm simply misreading), then that would be a loss of feature for the guys that don't want to spend the time.

But, Jeff, I'd venture to guess, 99 times out of 100, the casual users don't change their difficulties levels any anyway. They play on the default levels that the game comes on and that's it. Anyone that changes anything along those lines is going to be someone that actually pays attention to what the game adds and subtracts by changing those difficulties.

Again, playing to the lowest common denominator is not how you make a football game that's great and while you said in another thread that by not doing so, they wouldn't be able to stay afloat, I think that's incorrect. You make a game that diehard football fans can get into because of how incredibly well done the more intricate parts of it are, and you'll bring back those people that haven't played NCAA since the PS2 days.

JeffHCross
05-28-2012, 10:19 AM
But, Jeff, I'd venture to guess, 99 times out of 100, the casual users don't change their difficulties levels any anyway.True. Which means that the default will be All-American, since that's the existing system. Which may look weird to someone playing on Varsity. I agree that most casual users don't change their difficulty levels, but since it's presented rather obviously on the main Dynasty screen, you can't avoid having to effectively communicate it. There are plenty of hardcore users that aren't community members and/or don't read the blogs. Plenty. Effective communication is not catering the lowest common denominator. You think gamers in general don't mess around with difficulty settings without absolutely knowing what they do? Bull. We see "difficulty" and we turn it down or up, almost naturally.

Catering the casual fan is not how you make a great game, I agree. But the sports genre has unique hurdles to overcome. Diehard football fans are going to be overwhelmed by the current game. There are ways to fix that while not dumbing it down so much that people like you are turned off by the game. It's not a 0 or 1 choice. And, besides, effective communication is not dumbing it down.

His four levels were so drastically different, that you'd have to effectively communicate it, even for people like us that read every word of the blog. Otherwise there are going to be tons of ODs out there that can't figure out why they'd suddenly lost In-Season Recruiting.

I'm not saying don't do it -- I'm just saying that how it will be communicated has to be considered. Programming something is only half (or not even) of the problem.

TIMB0B
05-28-2012, 05:08 PM
His four levels were so drastically different, that you'd have to effectively communicate it, even for people like us that read every word of the blog. Otherwise there are going to be tons of ODs out there that can't figure out why they'd suddenly lost In-Season Recruiting.

What's funny is these different levels are simply the different recruiting levels the game started out with after Bill Walsh 95 and has evolved into over the years.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I'd do away with CPU assistance. All I'm trying to get across is the added recruitment periods during the off-season. How you recruit doesn't change. What I proposed is merely taking the current off-season, and adding features to enhance the dynasty.

JeffHCross
05-28-2012, 05:17 PM
What's funny is these different levels are simply the different recruiting levels the game started out with after Bill Walsh 95 and has evolved into over the years.Yeah, I know :D After putting NCAA 2000 in a couple times in the last few weeks, I'm reminded of how the series has changed. It's interesting to look back.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I'd do away with CPU assistance. ... How you recruit doesn't change.Yeah, I misread your "Freshman" level. Forgot how it used to be way back when (though, actually, I don't think I played the game back then, which would explain the lack of recognition).

TIMB0B
05-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I know :D After putting NCAA 2000 in a couple times in the last few weeks, I'm reminded of how the series has changed. It's interesting to look back.

Yeah, I misread your "Freshman" level. Forgot how it used to be way back when (though, actually, I don't think I played the game back then, which would explain the lack of recognition).

Oh, yeah, when Bill Walsh came out on Sega Genesis (showing my age :cool:) I was ecstatic. It was the first college football game that I recall. I had no idea what depths they could/would take this franchise.

TIMB0B
05-28-2012, 08:07 PM
True. Which means that the default will be All-American, since that's the existing system.
I just want to be clear here, and make sure we're on the same page. I'm not suggesting the different depths of recruiting coincide with the different A.I. difficulty on the field or the Recruiting difficulty. Think of when you start a new dynasty, and the options you have before it loads: A.I. Difficulty, Quarter Length, Recruiting Difficulty, Injuries on/off, Rosters, etc.

I'm suggesting they add one more option: Recruiting Depth [1) CPU only, 2) 5-week post-season, 3) In-season + 5-week post-season, and 4) In-season + 5-week post-season + off-season]

JeffHCross
05-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Oh, yeah, when Bill Walsh came out on Sega Genesis (showing my age :cool:) I was ecstatic. It was the first college football game that I recall. I had no idea what depths they could/would take this franchise.I don't recall which was first, but on the Genesis I first owned Sega's College Football's National Championship. I remember seeing Bill Walsh at Blockbuster, but never got it. It wasn't until my Playstation, IIRC, that I played EA's series. Though my first games in every other sport were EA :D

I'm suggesting they add one more option: Recruiting Depth [1) CPU only, 2) 5-week post-season, 3) In-season + 5-week post-season, and 4) In-season + 5-week post-season + off-season]Ah. No, that was not clear (at least to me!). If you want, I'd suggest going back to your first post and removing the Freshman/Varsity/etc denotations. I'm probably not the only one that didn't see the difference. Just call 'em A), B), C) or something.

TIMB0B
05-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Ah. No, that was not clear (at least to me!). If you want, I'd suggest going back to your first post and removing the Freshman/Varsity/etc denotations. I'm probably not the only one that didn't see the difference. Just call 'em A), B), C) or something.

Will do.

What about the "gameplan adjustments" post. Any clarity needed there?

baseballplyrmvp
05-29-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm suggesting they add one more option: Recruiting Depth [1) CPU only, 2) 5-week post-season, 3) In-season + 5-week post-season, and 4) In-season + 5-week post-season + off-season]

:smh: i dont think those stages should ever be an option to turn off. i think the current model is done pretty well; there just needs to be a little more depth to it.

steelerfan
05-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Nice work, TIMBOB.

I like your ideas and certainly agree that the current gameplanning is not done well/not realistic. The added depth to recruiting, along with the variable levels of depth would be a great addition too, imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

TIMB0B
05-30-2012, 06:32 AM
Nice work, TIMBOB.

I like your ideas and certainly agree that the current gameplanning is not done well/not realistic. The added depth to recruiting, along with the variable levels of depth would be a great addition too, imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2Thanks. I think incorporating coach philosophy as the gameplan would make the game a lot more strategic with less redundancy game-to-game. And adding year-round recruiting would really bring authenticity to the dynasty.

TIMB0B
05-30-2012, 06:35 AM
:smh: i dont think those stages should ever be an option to turn off. i think the current model is done pretty well; there just needs to be a little more depth to it.I personally wouldn't care if there were different modes with less recruiting, but it's good to have the options for the casual gamer.

psusnoop
05-30-2012, 08:35 AM
First, almost all of the adjustments currently aren't applicable to a gameplan. These adjustments (Big Run, Hold Block, Jump Snap, Strip Ball, Swat/INT, etc.) should strictly fall under a player's specific attributes such as awareness, skill, and discipline (a Discipline attribute should be created regarding a player's penalty propensity - based on their GPA); but there are some of these adjustments that do pertain to coaching philosophy: Zone depth, Option defense (more on this in a moment).

The existing gameplan adjustments don't have to be scrapped in a sense, but merely embedded into the player's attributes giving them more unique identities of whether they're a playmaker or simply a role player - actually bringing the player tendencies to fruition. For example, why should a run stopping tendency DL-man have the same Jump Snap advantage as a pass rushing tendency DL-man? And what does jumping a snap have to do with a gameplan? Coaches ideally would like their DL-men to get off the ball quickly all the time.

Completely agree here and it has been debated at length here on the boards as well. Most have wanted to get rid of the gameplanning all together and have this tied into the attributes instead (which is really really should be). Like you said you should have to tell your DL to jump the snap it should be based of his awareness and acceleration among other things.

Also very nice breakdown of the recruiting. Nice write ups all together and welcome to the site as well.

psusnoop
05-30-2012, 08:37 AM
I personally wouldn't care if there were different modes with less recruiting, but it's good to have the options for the casual gamer.

Yeah I think the casual gamer would appreciate the differing modes with less recruiting thus giving them more time to play the actual games while the hardcore guys like us would like the more in-depth modes to satisfy us.

psuexv
05-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Couple of things on the gameplan adjustments. I definitely think some of these should be built into a players attributes and I would like to think that they are. I don't think that setting jump the snap to aggressive means that every DL gets off the snap at the same time, I think it has to do with their ACC and AWR, but I could be wrong. I also think you definitely still need these adjustments.

I remember a couple of years ago a game between the Cardinals and the Bears. Cards were winning big and the Bears defense took over late causing a ridiculous amount of fumbles and the Bears pulled out the game. You could actually see the Bears defense wrapping up runners and then someone else going for the strip. Not something they really doing early in the game. To me this would be the same as setting the Strip to aggressive. Or how many times late in games you will see a team that is losing to start going for the strip or a RB wrapping up the ball more if his team is winning or a defensive secondary that is winning is going to play off of the WRs and not take aggressive chances on going for a pick. These are adjustments that are made mid-game.

For example, why should a run stopping tendency DL-man have the same Jump Snap advantage as a pass rushing tendency DL-man? And what does jumping a snap have to do with a gameplan? Coaches ideally would like their DL-men to get off the ball quickly all the time.

Yes all coaches want their DL to get off of the ball quickly, but say you have DL who is trying to get off quickly and constantly getting himself out of position. A coach is going to pull him aside and "coach" him on the sidelines to probably be a little more conservative to not get pulled out of the play. Same goes for someone who is missing tackles a lot, a WR that dropping a bunch of balls, a RB that is fumbling. He'll get told about it on the sideline and his gameplay will definitely change.

The main issue to me is the adjustments are basically for your whole team. Some are obviously for different positional groups but you actually need individual and groups to make it work. I don't think simply adding it to attributes is the key for individuals, as I should be able to "coach" them on the sideline. Then you also have a group adjustment for those instances when you want your whole team aggressive/conservative, etc. The other issue is that these adjustments at times are overpowering and I think that's what most people have problems with. The whole if you set strip to aggressive and tackling to aggressive you always get a strip or whatever it is. If they are toned down and actually done right they would add a lot to the game.

JeffHCross
05-30-2012, 07:06 PM
:smh: i dont think those stages should ever be an option to turn off. i think the current model is done pretty well; there just needs to be a little more depth to it.Why not? It goes to the "let people run their dynasty how they want" opinion. It also acknowledges that while many of us here want more in-depth recruiting, others don't.

TIMB0B
05-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Yes all coaches want their DL to get off of the ball quickly, but say you have DL who is trying to get off quickly and constantly getting himself out of position. A coach is going to pull him aside and "coach" him on the sidelines to probably be a little more conservative to not get pulled out of the play. Same goes for someone who is missing tackles a lot, a WR that dropping a bunch of balls, a RB that is fumbling. He'll get told about it on the sideline and his gameplay will definitely change.

Those examples are simply coaching a player up after they make mistakes, not a gameplan. This is why I brought up the creation of a discipline attribute. Penalties are a discipline issue i.e. holding blocks, clipping, jumping snap, late hits, etc. Awareness would play a factor in the case of a player going for the INT/swatting it away, or a receiver continuing deep or coming back to the QB after he completes the route and a RB protecting the football upon contact (to prevent fumbles). Again, ideally coaches would love for their players to always go for the pick. You wouldn't gameplan to just swat every pass away and never attempt an INT. It's an instinctual decision on the player given the situation. Turnovers are an integral part of the game, and every coach welcomes them 99% of the time (that 1% when they don't is during 4th down or a hail mary when a swat is more beneficial).

You make a valid point with the Bears/Cards game. I can see the validation for the strip ball adjustment staying in the game, but the reward currently outweighs the risk. However, there are some players out there that go for the strip even when their team is blowing out the opponent. It's their play style.

I think there's a difference between an actual "gameplan" and play style. A gameplan focuses on the Xs and Os strategy going into the game. Play style is instinctual. Now, I could see the in-game "adjustments" not being removed, but they need to be just that: adjustments. Tempo and Strip Ball would be applicable, but also these...

- Making a defensive adjustment to double cover the star receiver. Two DBs go man-to-man, or a safety rolls his coverage to that receiver's side.

- Or on offense, making an adjustment to double-team block the star pass rusher. Two OL double-team, or a TE or HB stay home to help the OT.

This also makes me think of additional or reworked audibles offensively and defensively. I'll post ideas on those later.

baseballplyrmvp
05-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Why not? It goes to the "let people run their dynasty how they want" opinion. It also acknowledges that while many of us here want more in-depth recruiting, others don't.i misunderstood what he said and thought that the different levels of involvement would be tied to the 4 recruiting difficulties, and not be listed as its own option.

JeffHCross
05-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Y'know, TIM, until this discussion tonight, I had completely forgotten how utterly different the "Gameplan" design was in NFL Head Coach 09 versus NCAA. In Head Coach 09, you could have up to three gameplans ready for a game. Each of those gameplans were chosen during the week, during an individual day's practice. Now, since there's really no day-to-day practice in NCAA, that would have to be changed somehow. But the overall mechanic is applicable.

This is a terribly small image, but it's the only one I can find:
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/head-coach-agenda.jpg
It says "Blitz the QB", "Coaches work with WR" and "Improve Blitz Plays" are the three choices shown in this case. I can't see the details in that image, but in general each "Gameplan" gave you ~5 instances to give a certain part of your team a "bonus". Maybe you wanted a bonus to your QB on passing plays, or your HB on running plays, or your DBs versus passing plays.

In theory, they could take the idea behind the current Gameplan system and adapt some of what Head Coach 09 had ... "Conservative" for "Big Run" becomes 3X per game that you can "encourage the HB to hold onto the ball".

This could combine with TIM's ideas and what others have said on the last page ... that it should be a natural extension of attributes, as much as possible. But the "bonus" could be used to "emphasize" that natural tendency. Or maybe you tell some fumblitis-prone Freshman to hold onto the ball for dear life.

i misunderstood what he said and thought that the different levels of involvement would be tied to the 4 recruiting difficulties, and not be listed as its own option.Yeah, I did the same early on.

baseballplyrmvp
05-30-2012, 09:05 PM
since its the colt's game vs new england, the options read as follow:

blitz the qb - put more pressure on tom brady while blitzing
coaches work with wr - focus on something something something....cant read it very well.
improve blitz plays - increase the effectiveness of your top 5 blitz plays

TIMB0B
05-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Y'know, TIM, until this discussion tonight, I had completely forgotten how utterly different the "Gameplan" design was in NFL Head Coach 09 versus NCAA. In Head Coach 09, you could have up to three gameplans ready for a game. Each of those gameplans were chosen during the week, during an individual day's practice. Now, since there's really no day-to-day practice in NCAA, that would have to be changed somehow. But the overall mechanic is applicable.

This is a terribly small image, but it's the only one I can find:
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/head-coach-agenda.jpg
It says "Blitz the QB", "Coaches work with WR" and "Improve Blitz Plays" are the three choices shown in this case. I can't see the details in that image, but in general each "Gameplan" gave you ~5 instances to give a certain part of your team a "bonus". Maybe you wanted a bonus to your QB on passing plays, or your HB on running plays, or your DBs versus passing plays.

In theory, they could take the idea behind the current Gameplan system and adapt some of what Head Coach 09 had ... "Conservative" for "Big Run" becomes 3X per game that you can "encourage the HB to hold onto the ball".

This could combine with TIM's ideas and what others have said on the last page ... that it should be a natural extension of attributes, as much as possible. But the "bonus" could be used to "emphasize" that natural tendency. Or maybe you tell some fumblitis-prone Freshman to hold onto the ball for dear life.

Yeah, I did the same early on.
I don't really like the idea of bonuses or boosts to begin with, which is why I don't like the current gameplan adjustments. I think the adjustments right now could be embedded under a player's tendency within a certain degree of the awareness, discipline, and position specific skill ratings. My suggestion for a gameplan overhaul is for the game to simply condense your playbook accordingly to the specificity of your coach philosophy sliders. And your gameplan is available under the "Ask Coach" option in-game. The result: an A+ coach rating would be very beneficial in calling the best plays given the situation, whereas a lower graded coach will be more vanilla.

As far as in-game adjustments, as has been discussed, tempo and strip ball are okay, but the others need to be rolled within player tendencies and coach philosophies, therefore additional/new adjustments need to be created. Remember, a gameplan is the focus of "your scheme vs your opponent's scheme" (playbook vs playbook). An in-game adjustment would be an adjustment to counter a weakness being exploited by the opponent, such as a pass rusher dominating your OT, so you adjust to have him double-teamed.

psuexv
05-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Those examples are simply coaching a player up after they make mistakes, not a gameplan. This is why I brought up the creation of a discipline attribute. Penalties are a discipline issue i.e. holding blocks, clipping, jumping snap, late hits, etc. Awareness would play a factor in the case of a player going for the INT/swatting it away, or a receiver continuing deep or coming back to the QB after he completes the route and a RB protecting the football upon contact (to prevent fumbles). Again, ideally coaches would love for their players to always go for the pick. You wouldn't gameplan to just swat every pass away and never attempt an INT. It's an instinctual decision on the player given the situation. Turnovers are an integral part of the game, and every coach welcomes them 99% of the time (that 1% when they don't is during 4th down or a hail mary when a swat is more beneficial).

You make a valid point with the Bears/Cards game. I can see the validation for the strip ball adjustment staying in the game, but the reward currently outweighs the risk. However, there are some players out there that go for the strip even when their team is blowing out the opponent. It's their play style.

I think there's a difference between an actual "gameplan" and play style. A gameplan focuses on the Xs and Os strategy going into the game. Play style is instinctual. Now, I could see the in-game "adjustments" not being removed, but they need to be just that: adjustments. Tempo and Strip Ball would be applicable, but also these...

- Making a defensive adjustment to double cover the star receiver. Two DBs go man-to-man, or a safety rolls his coverage to that receiver's side.

- Or on offense, making an adjustment to double-team block the star pass rusher. Two OL double-team, or a TE or HB stay home to help the OT.

This also makes me think of additional or reworked audibles offensively and defensively. I'll post ideas on those later.

Completely agree on the "adjustments vs the "gameplan" I think EA does a poor job of naming things. From the get go I didn't like the Gameplan notation as it is truly in game adjustments, which I think is a great concept but done poorly. The problem is that it's to rigid and people just turn it on all the time instead of allowing to actually make adjustments based off of what is happening. This is why I don't think you can add it simply to an attribute as it doesn't allow for adjustments, even great players with high awareness sometimes need coaching.

I agree and disagree with you on the coaches wanting their players to always go for the pick. Yes, a coach would love to see an interception on every play, but not necessarily want a player to attempt an INT ever play. Awareness and skill ratings would definitely play a part here but adjustments could be used as well.

ram29jackson
05-31-2012, 08:16 PM
simply put- game plan isnt needed at all, its just an arcadey joke to begin with

TIMB0B
06-01-2012, 03:59 AM
I agree and disagree with you on the coaches wanting their players to always go for the pick. Yes, a coach would love to see an interception on every play, but not necessarily want a player to attempt an INT ever play. Awareness and skill ratings would definitely play a part here but adjustments could be used as well.
And herein lies the problem with the current gameplan adjustments. When you set it to "aggressive" or "conservative" all of your players go for the INT, or conversely, go for the swat. It's universal, and has nothing to do with Xs and Os but boosting your players' ratings in that respect. That blurs the line between impact players and role players. Therefore, most of these adjustments should be replaced with more applicable ones to a gameplan.

This discussion has spawned an idea I could see the current adjustments being utilized, keeping with the suggestion they should be embedded into player tendencies. Perhaps there should be an additional coach philosophy slider (ranging from aggressive to conservative) that impacts off-season training. The attributes that are boosted with the current gameplan adjustments could be the ones most affected in the off-season according to your coach's aggressive/conservative slider.

Let's take a look at the current adjustments (excluding Tempo, Strip Ball, Zone Coverage, and Option Defense), and how they could be embedded into player tendencies along with coaching style affecting the off-season training. I'm just spitballing here:

OFFENSE

Get Open (Comeback/Run Deep)
Conservative coach - Catch
Aggressive coach - Route Running

Holding Blocks (Avoid Holding/Block Longer)
Conservative coach - Run/Pass Block Strength
Aggressive coach - Run/Pass Block Footwork

Impact Blocks (Avoid Clipping/Bigger Blocks)
Conservative coach - Run/Pass Block
Aggressive coach - Impact Block

Catching (Focus on Catch/Make a Big Play)
Conservative coach - Catch in Traffic
Aggressive coach - Spectacular Catch

Big Run (Protect the Ball/Break More Tackles)
Conservative coach - Carry
Aggressive coach - Trucking

DEFENSE

Big Hits (Sure Tackle/Big Hit)
Conservative coach - Tackle
Aggressive coach - Hit Power

Defensive Line (Avoid Offsides/Jump Snap)
Conservative coach - Power Move
Aggressive coach - Finesse Move

Pass Defense (Swat/Pick)
Conservative coach - Play Recognition
Aggressive coach - Man Coverage

QB Contain (Play Pass/Play QB)
Conservative coach - Zone Coverage
Aggressive coach - Pursuit

These attributes all have to do with the focus of off-season training, depending on your coach's conservative/aggressive style. A balanced coach would affect both ratings.

So, hypothetically, if you recruit a player with a certain tendency, your coach's style could affect his training where he changes to balanced, and eventually the opposite tendency by the time he's a senior (the rate of change would depend on your coach's rating i.e. letter grade, and player's potential). Ex. run stopping DL progressing to a pass rusher fitting your coach's style.

The other adjustments (Tempo, Strip Ball, Zone Coverage, and Option Defense) could remain as is. However, some more offensive adjustments need to be added to balance it out. Suggestions?

TIMB0B
07-06-2012, 07:17 PM
The other adjustments (Tempo, Strip Ball, Zone Coverage, and Option Defense) could remain as is. However, some more offensive adjustments need to be added to balance it out. Suggestions?
If "Strip Ball" stays in, then "Big Run" (Protect the Ball) needs to stay to counter the adjustment.

OFFENSE

Big Run
CONSERVATIVE: PROTECT THE BALL
(+) Lower Fumble Chance
(-) Less Broken Tackles
AGGRESSIVE: BREAK MORE TACKLES
(+) Higher Broken Tackle Chance
(-) Fumble the ball more often

Tempo
CONSERVATIVE: CHEW CLOCK
(+) Accelerated Game Clock
(-) Less Time to Snap the Ball