PDA

View Full Version : The JBHuskers NCAA Conference Realignment Plan

JBHuskers
06-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Here's what I think the landscape is going to look like after the smoke settles.

Big 14 (Formally Big 10)

West
Nebraska
Missouri
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern

East
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers
Indiana
Purdue
Michigan State

Pac 16 (Formally Pac 10)

West
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
USC
California
Stanford
UCLA
Washington State

East
Arizona
Arizona State
Texas
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
Colorado
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Mountain West

North
Utah
BYU
Iowa State
Air Force
Wyoming
Colorado State
Boise State

South
San Diego State
New Mexico
TCU
Kansas
Kansas State
UNLV
Baylor

I think to fill the void that Rutgers leaves in the Big East, Memphis would move from Conference USA. I think the WAC would just go from 9 to 8 teams and leave it at that. There could be a school to emerge from D-II to fill the void in Conference USA with Memphis moving, or someone from the Sun Belt like a Middle Tennessee State would move, and the Sun Belt would drop from 9 to 8 teams just like the WAC.

So what are your thoughts?

Sinister
06-11-2010, 11:01 AM
sagnaw valley or iup could be the division two schools actually they could bring in mulitple dII schools to get other conferences to 16 teams. also they would have to make all confernces BCS eligible and and limit them to at least 2 per conference

cdj
06-11-2010, 11:15 AM
- I think Rutgers will join the Big 10 if/when Notre Dame does and IMO Mizzou is on the outside looking in.

- Kansas is really interesting. They want that BCS conference TV deal money and rep, but they also want KU basketball in a top bball conference. The Mountain West appears to become a full-fledged BCS conference if the Big 12 collapses, but the MWC isn't a power conference in basketball. They could go Big East, but they have to wait and see if the Big East gets purged later on as well. If Rutgers goes Big 10 or some Big East schools move to a purged ACC (FSU/Miami/VT go to SEC), that could lead to the entire conference changing.

- There is some talk that the Pac-10 would NOT have a conference championship game and would get TWO automatic BCS berths. IIRC, Texas is/was pushing for that if/when they join.

ebin
06-11-2010, 11:30 AM
I think (hope) you're right about the Pac-16. There's been talk in the last couple days about A&M wanting to join the SEC. It'd be a shame to split them and Texas.

Assuming the Big Ten is as desperate to get Notre Dame as everyone says they are, I could see Missouri getting left out, with the Big Ten adding Nebraska and then raiding three teams from the Big East to force Notre Dame's hand. I'm not sure who else besides Rutgers they might add though. I'm curious, as Huskers fans, how do guys feel about losing 100 years of tradition with the other (former) Big 8 schools?

I actually really like the idea of merging the Mountain West and the Big 12 leftovers. It's not a good fit for Kansas basketball, but from a football perspective, it make a lot of sense.

If the Pac-16 and Big 14 become a reality, I'd be really surprised if the SEC didn't also expand, most likely by raiding the ACC. In that case, whoever is left from the ACC and Big East would almost certainly have to merge.

cdj
06-11-2010, 11:59 AM
I think (hope) you're right about the Pac-16. There's been talk in the last couple days about A&M wanting to join the SEC. It'd be a shame to split them and Texas.

Assuming the Big Ten is as desperate to get Notre Dame as everyone says they are, I could see Missouri getting left out, with the Big Ten adding Nebraska and then raiding three teams from the Big East to force Notre Dame's hand. I'm not sure who else besides Rutgers they might add though. I'm curious, as Huskers fans, how do guys feel about losing 100 years of tradition with the other (former) Big 8 schools?

I actually really like the idea of merging the Mountain West and the Big 12 leftovers. It's not a good fit for Kansas basketball, but from a football perspective, it make a lot of sense.

If the Pac-16 and Big 14 become a reality, I'd be really surprised if the SEC didn't also expand, most likely by raiding the ACC. In that case, whoever is left from the ACC and Big East would almost certainly have to merge.

The last SEC expansion rumor I read/heard was A&M joining and then getting Virginia Tech out of the ACC.

As a Nebraska fan, it felt like we lost our Big 8 relationships and ties when the Big 8 ended. Oklahoma decided they wanted to play Texas each year and Nebraska twice every four years, the Kansas schools and Missouri have always held their own bond, the Texas schools (out of SWC) were all tied at the hip, and throughout the Big 12, the Big 8 schools and conference began to go along with whatever the Texas schools wanted. Not to mention, all Big 8 records were thrown out at the start of the Big 12.

I feel bad for the schools who are likely going to find themselves on the outside looking in (at least temporarily) and also for likely lost rivalries with Kansas, Missouri, K-State, Iowa State but as soon as the Big 12/Texas issued the "ultimatum" to NU, we had to go. We were likely out the door anyways, but that sealed it.

Historically, we had a rivalry with Minnesota decades ago and used to play Iowa routinely. We've also had some great battles with Penn State and there's history with Michigan (1997 season, 2005 Alamo Bowl). I'm confident we will establish new rivalries.

JBHuskers
06-11-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm confident we will establish new rivalries.

We easily will I think. Especially Iowa and Michigan.

Rudy
06-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Pretty good guesses JB. I'd rather the Big 10 stay at 12 teams for now. Adding Rutgers and Missouri just to get to 14 doesn't thrill me. Not bad but I say stay at 12 and add a conference championship. No matter what happens I want these changes in for 2011, not 2012. It would suck to have to wait two years.

JBHuskers
06-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Pretty good guesses JB. I'd rather the Big 10 stay at 12 teams for now. Adding Rutgers and Missouri just to get to 14 doesn't thrill me. Not bad but I say stay at 12 and add a conference championship. No matter what happens I want these changes in for 2011, not 2012. It would suck to have to wait two years.

Nebraska will definitely happen in 2011....July 1, 2011 to be exact.

jaymo76
06-11-2010, 09:18 PM
I just don't like anything about the PAC 10 to PAC 16.... way too big and if there's not a championship game that is one step forward and two steps backwards.

Kingpin32
06-11-2010, 09:19 PM
So when UT, TTU, OU, and OSU all go to the Pac-10, will it take effect in 2011 or 2012?

HWill
06-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Joe Schad on ESPN said that Jim Delany called Dan Beebe and said "we're not interested in any other Big 12 schools". Doesn't bode well for Missouri.

Rudy
06-12-2010, 06:46 AM
How can the PAC 16 not have a conference championship game? Heck, the conference will be so big you will only play someone from the other division every four years or so.

morsdraconis
06-12-2010, 09:13 AM
How can the PAC 16 not have a conference championship game? Heck, the conference will be so big you will only play someone from the other division every four years or so.

With two automatic BCS births, and the fact that it will be a 16 team conference (and as you pointed out, some teams will only play each other once every 4 years), not having a championship game, though terrible for BCS Bowls (can't wait until a playoff gets rid of this bullshit), makes logical sense for the teams involved.

Personally, I think any conference without a championship game needs to do whatever possible to get large enough to have two divisions and have a championship game (Big East, Big 10, and Pac 10) or dissolve into these 4 Power Conferences and be done with it. Whatever it takes to get a playoff and WVU isn't left out is fine with me.

Jayrah
06-12-2010, 01:28 PM
I think the only way the New Big 12 goes to 14 is if ND joins, then Rutgers would probably get the invite. Otherwise that conference is set and would add a conference championship to the docket, which a lot of coaches (namely Paterno) have asked for. KU/KSU/Missouri/Iowa st. would be the best 4some for the MWC. It would only make sense to add those Missouri vs Kansas rivalries to the conference if at all possible. Those are some of the better rivalries in football really.

JB and cdj are right about Nebraska. I can see some very good rivalries in that conference involving the Huskers. If ND joins, that conference is going to have even more dynamite matchups every weekend.

The Pac has never liked the idea of a championship game, and of course scooping up (arguably) the better half of a power conference (which will make 1 less conference now), wouldn't want to lose a spot for any of those schools. With USC down I still foresee a very strong North division, and someone will step up and make a worthy BCS team. The real argument though for the Pac 16 is that a team from each division could come out undefeated and potentially make a Nat'l Championship caliber matchup. If that happens they don't want to lose the extra money because of a conference championship.

For my money, I hope they go to Automatic BCS Berths period. I hate the system currently of 'qualifying record'. If there is no playoff (and I personally like the bowl system), this is the way to go imo. Also, under this setup, it would force everyone to join a league, which I think is the best way to go. If you don't win the conference you don't get in.

2 - Pac 16 *1 each division*
2 - SEC (especially if/when they expand) *1 each division*
1 - New Big 12(14) *Conference Championship*
1 - Big east *Conference Championship*
1 - MWC *Conference Championship*
1 - ACC *Outright Champion (assuming the 3 big schools head to the SEC. Unless the ACC re-expands to 12 teams with Army, Navy, and another school, in which case a Championship game would still be the setup)*
1 - MAC/CUSA *BCS qualifying Championship game*
1 - WAC/Sunbelt *BCS qualifying Championship game*

JBHuskers
06-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Well TCU would be stopping Baylor's entrance into the Mountain West. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5279018

This means Conference USA for Baylor and Mizzou? I'm going to work on an updated "guess" now.

JBHuskers
06-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Update #2

Big 10

West
Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Notre Dame
Northwestern

East
Michigan
Rutgers
Ohio State
Penn State
Indiana
Purdue
Michigan State

Pac 10

West
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
USC
California
Stanford
UCLA
Washington State

South
Arizona
Arizona State
Texas
Texas Tech
Colorado
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Mountain West

North
Utah
BYU
Air Force
Wyoming
Colorado State
Boise State

South
San Diego State
New Mexico
TCU
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
UNLV

SEC

East
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Auburn
Alabama

West
LSU
Mississippi
Arkansas
Kentucky
Mississippi State
Texas A&M
Southern Miss

Conference USA

East
Tulane
East Carolina
UCF
Marshall
UAB
Iowa State

West
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
UTEP
Rice
Baylor

Update notes: I'm actually convinced for the first time that Notre Dame is going to the Big Ten. I'm dropping Missouri out in favor of them. I will put Notre Dame in the east, and move Michigan to the west (which would be awesome that we'd get to play them every year....I think the Big Ten almost has to make this matchup EVERY year). I have a feeling that Rutgers is still #3 on their "power list" behind Notre Dame and Nebraska.

I'm moving A&M out of the Pac 10 now and putting them in the SEC. I really can't find another team that would join the Pac 10 to make 16 teams, with A&M supposedly going to the SEC, so I'm going to just leave that conference at 15 teams with the "North Division" consisting of original Pac 10 members, and a seven-team "South Division". I'm also keeping an odd number of teams in the Mountain West. So maybe Utah could bolt for the Pac 10 to even things out, but it doesn't sound like that is going to happen.

I'm moving Iowa State and Baylor out of the Mountain West after reports that TCU would block Baylor's move to that conference (which I'm not totally understanding right now). I'm still moving Memphis to the Big East (which will be a beast in basketball). I'm going to go out on a limb and move Southern Miss to the SEC to give them three Mississippi teams. Going to move the two Alabama teams to the East to keep them together, and move Kentucky to the West.

I'm moving Iowa State and Baylor into Conference USA to fill the spots left by Memphis and Southern Miss, as I'm keeping Memphis replacing Rutgers in the Big East.

morsdraconis
06-12-2010, 03:57 PM
I can't believe the thought that the inroad to New York/New Jersey is so damn important that they're willing to forget the absolutely ATROCIOUS play of Rutgers and invite them into the Big 10. Talk about watering down the league even more...

JeffHCross
06-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Joe Schad on ESPN said that Jim Delany called Dan Beebe and said "we're not interested in any other Big 12 schools". Doesn't bode well for Missouri.Yes and no. Schad's statement included something along the lines of "right now". There's been reporting that has suggested that the Big Ten is concerned with gaining a reputation as the harbinger that brought about the destruction of the Big 12 and everything else. Personally, I think that ship has sailed and we're going to be blamed anyway.

I think they're just waiting for two things: Notre Dame and the death of the Big 12. If Notre Dame says yes, the Big Ten would need a 14th school. I think Missouri would be the quickest (and most likely) addition then. If Notre Dame doesn't join, then either the Big Ten keeps at 12 or adds two. If the Big 12 dies (with the ship-jumping of the entire Big 12 South), then its even easier to add Missouri.

I still think Missouri and Notre Dame being conference members is inevitable at this point.

JBHuskers
06-13-2010, 03:03 AM
If one thing is for certain...the Big Ten is not even close to blame for the demise of the Big XII. From the sounds of things, the writing was on the wall from day one in the Big XII. Everything was done to accommodate Texas, and finally teams (like us and Colorado) stood up to it before it really imploded.

AustinWolv
06-13-2010, 04:16 AM
Everything was done to accommodate Texas
Especially since word is out, albeit not sure how accurate, that an UT faction was wanting that demise of the B12 and is in favor of jumping to the B10 since this started, while the other faction is just plain mad that at the B10 for taking Nebraska.

In order to keep The Game, I don't see how they split OSU and UM into separate divisions. It forces PSU and Nebraska into the other division, really.......with the current 12 at least, those are the 4 powers, although Wisconsin and Iowa would be butt-hurt to not be included as considerations as conf powers.

CLW
06-13-2010, 10:15 AM
I admittedly haven't followed this situation that closely at first as I figured they were just rumors and nothing would come of it. Now I am convinced that we are headed to 4 "super" 16 team conferences eventually (Pac 16, Big 16, ACC, SEC). Once these 4 conferences are formed they will leave the BCS system and create their own national championship. Each conference champion goes to the semi-finals.

My best guess as to the final conference lineup is:

Big 16

West
1. Nebraska
2. Iowa
3. Minnesota
4. Wisconsin
5. Illinois
6. Michigan
7. Northwestern
8. Missouri

East
9. Notre Dame
10. Rutgers
11. Ohio State
12. Penn State
13. Indiana
14. Purdue
15. Michigan State
16. Pitt

Pac 16

West
1. Oregon
2. Oregon State
3. Washington
4. USC
5. California
6. Stanford
7. UCLA
8. Washington State

East
9. Arizona
10. Arizona State
11. Texas
12. Texas Tech
13. Colorado
14. Oklahoma
15. Oklahoma State
16. Utah

SEC

East
1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Tennessee
4. South Carolina
5. Vanderbilt
6. Virginia Tech
7. Louisville
8. Kentucky

West
9. LSU
10. Mississippi
11. Arkansas
12. Auburn
13. Mississippi State
14. Texas A&M
15. Baylor
16. Alabama

ACC

Atlantic
1. Boston College
2. Florida State
3. Wake Forest
4. NC State
5. Maryland
6. West Virginia
7. UConn
8. Clemson

Coastal
1. Georgia Tech
2. Miami
3. North Carolina
4. Duke
5. Virginia
6. South Florida
7. UCF
8. ECU

JeffHCross
06-13-2010, 03:36 PM
In order to keep The Game, I don't see how they split OSU and UM into separate divisions.Follow the SEC's method of splitting the two but keeping a yearly rivalry game between them. The downside being that it drastically increases the likelihood of a rematch. But I can't see any split of the teams that doesn't split Michigan and Ohio State without being ridiculous (like PSU and Nebraska in the other division), which admittedly would be silly.

JBHuskers
06-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah you're right on Michigan and Ohio State....just an oversight by me when I was putting that together yesterday.....could flip flop them and Notre Dame.

ebin
06-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Anybody else seen this? It's an interesting way to contextualize many of the factors affecting expansion. Shows just how much Oklahoma and Texas would be bringing to the PAC-16.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/424731/pac16infobig_large.png

Larger version (http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/477212/pac16infobig.png)

JeffHCross
06-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Until you get down to the TV markets, Oklahoma seems like the bigger get than Texas. Very good graphic.

JeffHCross
06-13-2010, 10:15 PM
From that other forum ... ;)

I've just been elected the new commish of the ACC and here is my plan....

1st I'm trading the SEC in a 2 for 1 deal, FSU & Miami for South Carolina.

Then I'm raiding the Big East boosting ACC football while making the best basketball conference in the country even better!

Gentlemen, the new ACC....

ATLANTIC
Boston College
Clemson
NC State
Wake forest
Maryland
Connecticut
South Carolina
Pittsburgh

COASTAL
Virginia Tech
North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Duke
Virginia
West Virginia
Syracuse
Louisville
I actually really like.

Kingpin32
06-13-2010, 10:21 PM
That conference would be a beast in basketball.

morsdraconis
06-13-2010, 11:18 PM
I would be ALL over that except it makes WVU vs Pitt tough to do every year in football without limiting what other teams play each other every year.

AustinWolv
06-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Follow the SEC's method of splitting the two but keeping a yearly rivalry game between them. The downside being that it drastically increases the likelihood of a rematch. But I can't see any split of the teams that doesn't split Michigan and Ohio State without being ridiculous (like PSU and Nebraska in the other division), which admittedly would be silly.
Yeah, that was my point. It would be retarded to have a rematch scenario IMO; I'd be disappointed to see that happen. Not a big fan of the SEC method.

ebin
06-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Until you get down to the TV markets, Oklahoma seems like the bigger get than Texas. Very good graphic.

Thanks. To be clear, I didn't make it, but unfortunately, I don't know who did. It'd be cool to see something similar for the other BCS conferences.

ebin
06-14-2010, 01:28 AM
From that other forum ... ;)

I actually really like.

Same here.

I would be ALL over that except it makes WVU vs Pitt tough to do every year in football without limiting what other teams play each other every year.

Yeah, I'd solve that by swapping Syracuse and Pittsburgh. Either way, it'd definitely be a murderers row in basketball.

Holc
06-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Now that expansion has settled down, I am somewhat surprised that the Big Ten did not invite at least two other schools and offer Notre Dame the same type of membership it currently holds in the Big East. Don't get me wrong, I think that 12 universities will work great, but by expanding further, the Big Ten would have really enlarged its footprint. Having a fourteen school league in hoops means that each team would play 19 games in a two division conference format (12 division + 7 interdivision = 19), which is an odd number and likely one too many conference games. Allowing ND to remain an Independent in football, but join the conference in all other sports would do three things: 1) The conference would have an even number of teams in its two football divisions and still garner recognition from Notre Dame as an Independent. 2) Having a fifteen school league in hoops means that each team would play 18 games in a three division conference format (8 division + 10 interdivision). 3) Generate more revenue!

JBHuskers
06-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Yeah it definitely didn't get as nuts as it could have been. Down the road it will I bet.

Holc
06-30-2010, 04:13 PM
I must say that I am happy that Big East football has been spared thus far. Regardless of what happens with the eight full-time Big East football schools, the conference will remain because it was founded as a basketball league and will go back to its roots if necessary. League officials are going to have to get very creative if the Big East hopes to maintain its BCS status.

JBHuskers
06-30-2010, 04:27 PM
I must say that I am happy that Big East football has been spared thus far. Regardless of what happens with the eight full-time Big East football schools, the conference will remain because it was founded as a basketball league and will go back to its roots if necessary. League officials are going to have to get very creative if the Big East hopes to maintain its BCS status.

Especially when the Mountain West looked more like a BCS conference than the Big East.

Holc
06-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Especially when the Mountain West looked more like a BCS conference than the Big East.

I agree.

Holc
06-30-2010, 06:53 PM
When Colorado and Nebraska bolted, I was hoping that the Big East would immediately invite Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, and Kansas State to join the Big East. Although conferences membership would have grown to 20 teams (12 football + 8 hoops), the Big East could have added a conference championship game in football and strengthened its already elite college basketball status. The gridiron side of the conference would remain somewhat week, but it was not that long ago when K-State was a national power. In addition, the conference would remain geographically connected. I would have split the two divisions in football in the following way:

West
Kansas State
Kansas
Iowa State
Missouri
Louisville
Cincinnati

East
Connecticut
Syracuse
Rutgers
Pitt
West Virginia
South Florida

JeffHCross
06-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Allowing ND to remain an Independent in football, but join the conference in all other sports would do three things: 1) The conference would have an even number of teams in its two football divisions and still garner recognition from Notre Dame as an Independent. 2) Having a fifteen school league in hoops means that each team would play 18 games in a three division conference format (8 division + 10 interdivision). 3) Generate more revenue!Allowing Notre Dame to remain an Independent would do absolutely nothing for the Big Ten.

JBHuskers
06-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Allowing Notre Dame to remain an Independent would do absolutely nothing for the Big Ten.

What if Notre Dame continues to be mediocre, do you think the next NBC deal won't be as lucrative, or are they in a win-win situation with the fan base they have built in?

JeffHCross
07-01-2010, 12:15 AM
I'd answer that multiple-choice question with "Yes".

I think their next NBC deal shouldn't be as lucrative, though I fear that with the bidding wars that have escalated over College Football TV rights that it will just increase again. I don't think Notre Dame's fanbase is as entrenched as they would like to think. They still have a large fan base, but the Catholic demographic at large is shifting away from the traditional Notre Dame fan base. So while I think they'll still have most of their traditional fan base, I think it's going to decrease every year if they continue to not be in the limelight.

That said, Brian Kelly at Notre Dame scares the crap out of me. I loved him at Cincinnati and I think he'll have the Domers contending very, very fast.

Rudy
07-01-2010, 06:19 AM
I'm surprised nobody is talking about how big a change Kelly is bringing to Notre Dame. Not only is he installing many changes to the program to make it more college like (good thing) but his offense will be a bit of a shock to the fanbase. Nebraska went through the same thing with Bill Callahan's offense and the Michigan fanbase still hasn't accepted the switch from a pro-style or power rushing attack to a spread run-option offense. You can't underestimate some of these big shifts. If the big donors aren't happy with the changes, it can get ugly.

morsdraconis
07-01-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm surprised nobody is talking about how big a change Kelly is bringing to Notre Dame. Not only is he installing many changes to the program to make it more college like (good thing) but his offense will be a bit of a shock to the fanbase. Nebraska went through the same thing with Bill Callahan's offense and the Michigan fanbase still hasn't accepted the switch from a pro-style or power rushing attack to a spread run-option offense. You can't underestimate some of these big shifts. If the big donors aren't happy with the changes, it can get ugly.

And it takes a while unless you get lucky with the right personnel quickly. Kelly's offense is QUITE different from your normal spread offense too. LOTS of little things that take precise execution to work correctly.

Holc
07-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Allowing Notre Dame to remain an Independent would do absolutely nothing for the Big Ten.

Absolutely nothing? If that's the case then ND wouldn't offer much more as a full-time member either.