PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football 12 Dynasty Mode Recruiting Compendium

morsdraconis
07-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Just a centralized area to share recruiting tactics.

SQT-S = Squat for skill players
SQT-L = Squat for Lineman and Linebackers
===========================================
spd str btk/tck rb/tck
40 BNCH SQT-S SQT-L RAT GRD
4.24 xxx 445 795 99 A+
4.26 xxx 440 785 98 A+
4.28 xxx 435 775 97 A+
4.30 xxx 430 765 96 A
4.32 xxx 425 755 95 A
4.34 515 420 745 94 A
4.36 509 415 735 93 A-
4.38 503 410 725 92 A-
4.40 497 405 715 91 B+
4.42 491 400 705 90 B+
4.44 485 395 695 89 B+
4.46 480 390 690 88 B+
4.48 474 385 680 87 B
4.50 468 380 670 86 B
4.52 462 375 665 85 B
4.54 456 370 655 84 B
4.56 450 365 645 83 B-
4.58 444 360 640 82 B-
4.60 438 355 630 81 B-
4.62 432 350 620 80 B-
4.64 426 345 610 79 C+
4.66 420 340 605 78 C+
4.68 414 335 595 77 C+
4.70 408 330 585 76 C+
4.72 402 325 580 75 C
4.74 396 320 570 74 C
4.76 390 315 560 73 C
4.78 384 310 555 72 C
4.80 378 305 545 71 C-
4.82 372 300 535 70 C-
4.84 366 295 525 69 C-
4.86 360 290 520 68 D+
4.88 354 285 510 67 D+
4.90 348 280 500 66 D+
4.92 342 275 495 65 D
4.94 336 270 485 64 D
4.96 330 265 475 63 D
4.98 325 260 470 62 D
5.00 319 255 460 61 D
5.02 313 250 450 60 D
UPDATE:
Also to clarify what each is for.....
40: is the speed rating
BNCH: is the str rating
SQT-S: is tackle for defense and break tackle for offense, this is skill players.
SQT-L: is tackle for defense and run block for offense, this is lineman and linebackers.

Curtsey of someone from the other place

Setting up your preseason board

I have heard of many different strategies when it comes to setting up your recruiting board. Some people say only put ten on, some say no more than 15, while others say fill that sucka up. One thing I heard recently is that if you skip the preseason recruiting, the first week you are guranteed to get a "pink gem" recruit that is :4star: or above. I will get into this later.

First be sure to turn off all computer assistance. The cpu will make random moves that will leave you scrambling to find your studs in the searches again. I try to separate my prospects into four groups. The "reach", "starters", "depth", and my favorite "pipelines".

REACH
My first group, "reach" is pretty easy to grasp. These are the stud impact players that you want to land this season. It will make your dream. Get that 5 star scrambling qb, or that Urlacher MLB. This group consists of 4 players that are probably out of your reach. Remember I am a cupcake so this means :4star: and above. I don't care if I have 4 :5star: or 4 :4star: in this group. These I know are out of my reach unless some miracle. Gotta try cause you can usually land 1 of em. If you use the pink gem method I hinted at earlier, he might not be such a reach after all. If you're desperate for a QB put the top 4 qbs on your board! Why not? You'll probably get 1 of em!

STARTERS
These are going to become the core starters or soon to be starters for your team. After you have selected your four reach positions, go to the database and search for prospects that have you as top school. Go through and add any :3star: or above players that you want. After you have added these guys, search the database for guys who have you in the top 5. Add any of these guys who are :3star: plus that you want. The reason for doing this in two steps is to put the guys who already have you in the top school higher in the recruiting board. Whereas the reaches you are trying to hit a mere 25% the starters you are going to be batting 70+% you are starting with a good lead or at least in the competition for these guys. Once you get these guys on you should be sitting around the 15 mark for your board.

DEPTH
These are guys that you are going to recruit just for the sheer sake of recruiting some depth. There is nothing worse than when your starters go down and you got nothing to back it up. These guys will only get 10 minutes of your time each week, so it is important that they have you as their top school already. Search all recruits by top school, and find any two stars or one stars that pop up. If there were some three stars that had you as top that you passed by before, why not give them a second look and add them to the depth group? After you do this step you should have a pretty nice grouping of guys that fit your board. Don't worry if your board isn't full yet, you still got the pipes to look at.

PIPELINES
Probably the most strategic group of recruits you can get. Basically if you use the pipes early, you will have an easier time getting starters next year. These guys are the dirt of the class. You don't care if they are worse than a walk-ons. These guys are purely for developing pipelines. Most of these guys you don't even have to throw a scholarship at to sign! Go to the database and search for recruits from a state that you would like to see as a pipeline state. Then sort by interest bar. Try to find 5 or 6 guys from that state who either have you in top 10, or are 1 star recruits. If your recruiting board has some extra space, go for a second state! In the end of the season you want to sign 4 guys from both of these states in order to get a pipeline. These recruits you can spend your extra time on when you get it, or give them the "free promises" (winning record against rivals, no redshirt first year ). This will add a lot of points to these scrubs and usually get you in the top quickly. The only bad thing about the pipes is that they have to be on your roster for the first year to get the state, so you can't cut these guys in the offseason. You can cut them after you have recruited new players from your new pipeline state though. If you didn't promise red shirt slap it on em. If you did, you can RS their SO year.

Big Board VS Small Board Debate

Many users seem to want to keep a small recruiting board. They find that it helps them to keep track of the time they are spending on each recruit. By having a small board you are less tempted to spread your hours to players you really don't care for. When you get a x2 adviser bonus it is more likely to impact a player that you really need.

My arguments for the big board are these:

Nothing says you have to call every recruit on your board. Players know when they are on your board and they will move you up in interest a small amount automatically. For example, if you choose a player from my pipelines group and never call them, you may see later that you move up in interest for apparently no reason at all! People who claim that they keep a small board because of the x2 bonus; I say so what. I bet with 3 players getting that the week at least one of them will be in the top 10. So now on average 2 calls with the x2 factor are "wasted" for the week. How many weeks do you tend to get the x2 bonus? 3? 4 times a season? 4*2=8 missed x2 factor calls. I will trade 8 calls for automatic small progressions on 25+ recruits wouldn't you? Players know where you have them on the board. The recruits are happier when they are placed towards the top of the board then if they are towards the bottom. Well, my reach players are 31 spots from the bottom of my board. On small boards they are only 6 from the bottom. Pretty big difference.
Recruiting Goals / Schemes

Your primary goal for the first four weeks is to ask pitch interest. Find out about your recruits use the change topic if you already have a pitch unlocked. Some people say just hard sell and write down what points you get. Screw that. I am too dang lazy to write all that down, or even make up an excel sheet to refer to every time I recruit. Overall you probably give up 100 points on each recruit by simply unlocking all the pitches instead of blind hard selling. Later you will be glad you got these unlocked because you will need to sway pitches anyway which requires them unlocked.

Schedule visits as soon as a recruit will let you, and schedule them early. You can beat out some competition before it even gets started compared to possibly jumping someone later with a rivalry game win or possibly losing the recruit because they signed early in the year instead of waiting for their visit with you.

Every week after the first week your routine will be basically the same:

Offer scholarships to people who you are top school for REACHES, STARTERS, and maybe a few DEPTH. Try not to give out more than 20 offers, because then recruits start to take a negative attitude.
Schedule all visits ASAP
Cut loss causes except for missed commits (explain later).
Reorder board within groupings.
Call remaining REACHES 1hr.
Call starters between 20-40mins depending on lead.
Remaining time 10min calls to Depth and Pipes.
After Week 4 extras

1. Offering scholarships to recruits you are top school for. Except for reaches, this is a time when you can call any recruit for 10 minutes. The offer gets you a nice net of points and this will help you spread your time. It is important to get scholarship offers out quickly because of the instant sign bonus that comes around every so often. (explained in extras).

2. Already explained. Get them in early. If you have a 250+ lead and no competition on a recruit go ahead and schedule him for the next opportunity even if it isn't a rival or ranked opp. Heck you can get As in bye weeks too!

3. If you had a guy that had you as top school and now you notice you keep dropping look at who else is going after him. If there are bigger schools that kick your butt in areas cut your losses now. This recruiting method is based on the fact that you are capable of throwing out the trash or lost causes. If somebody however randomly commits to another school, I like to leave that player on my board. It seems that if you let the CPU keep track of your losses you seem to get easier wins in the off season. Maybe its just a placebo effect of mine, if anyone else wants to lab it feel free and let me know. I seem to get easier recruiting on the new talent when I have 3+ failed recruits that I actually went after. I consider a lost cause if I am 200 points behind and I have already had my visit; or 350 points behind; or my ranking is greater than his commit status (if he is in top 5 schools, i better be in the top 5); or recruit that I have pumped time into last week that I have gone down on and I have already used my promises on and this same player I am not rated 2 or 3. As you play more you will be able to tweak these schemes to what you feel you can overcome. These are just some key indicators of lost causes.

4. Reorder within groupings. Reorder your REACHES so whomever you have the best chance of getting is in the top. Any little bit of extra progression helps. In STARTERS, anyone that is in tight competition move towards the top of the STARTERS. Guys you have a stronghold, move them down a little bit. This way when you do misspend time you still are putting your time on guys who really need it.

5. Your reaches get 1 hour every week! Remember you only had 4 to begin with. By the start of week 3 you probably cut one because his interest did not align, and when week four comes by you will most likely be down to 1 if you are lucky 2 of them. I was going to explain this later but heck I'll do it now. Week 1+2 you are trying to find out as many interest levels as you can. At the start of week 3 you should have 9-12 interest levels unlocked. Use common sense if the guy most interested levels are your weak points cut them now, don't waste week 3 hours on them. Week 3 you try hard selling and make a promise or two. At the start of week 4 if you are not in the top 10 tell them not to let the door hit them on the way out. Reaches who make it past week 4 get 1 hour every week no matter what! Try to sway their interest levels in your direction. Don't forget you can sway interest down! That is key to hitting your reaches if you are a low school. Aim for 300 points and 2-3 sways per call. If the player is not from your pipeline state compare whenever you can against the top couple of schools. Don't do it if he is a pipeline state kid. You need every little bonus you can get. Those CPUs and other users are going to compare against you and get you negative points every opportunity they get. If you are down to 1 reach and you think you got a real shot to get him, remove other players of the same position off your board. The recruits are happier when they are the only prospect you are targeting for their position. If you are lucky you might get an early lead and hit with an instant commit, or he will commit during your visit, or he doesn't commit to anyone until the offseason.

6. Look at your STARTERS group. If you are the only guy recruiting a prospect, you can slow play him. Only give him 10 minutes. Heck you can even quick call these guys for 10. If you have a decent lead but not quite sure throw 20 minutes at the guy. If you are in a race give him 40 minutes if you really need/like him or stick to the 30.

7. Use remaining time to quick call DEPTH group and every third week instead of hitting DEPTH group butter up your PIPES.

8. After week 4, go back into the recruit database. Search for commit status 10 schools remaining. Sort by interest and then look at the players. Look for guys who don't have any green bars. These guys are not being recruiting, you can add these guys to your STARTERS group or DEPTH group and get a head jump on these guys before the CPU goes for these guys.
4 Week Example

My recruiting concept, is that if its broke throw it away...

WEEK 1

REACHES - 60 minutes each. unlock pitches + offer, see if they align with your school's best.
STARTERS - with you as top school - 20 minutes each. Unlock a pitch and offer scholarships. If you are top on their board, offer a scholarship.
Other STARTERS - 30 minutes each. Unlock some pitches.
DEPTH - 10 minutes each. Unlock a pitch
PIPELINES - Doubt any time but 10 minutes if you got em.

WEEK 2
Look at your REACHES. Cut ones that do not align with your interest. If they have low on your highest pitch you ain't got a chance.

Anyone that has you as a top ten you can battle for unless you see Alabama, Texas, or Ohio state recruiting. A basic rule for everyone else, is if you drop from top 10 then poof they gone.

REACHES - 60 minutes each. You should at most have 3 guys left in this group. These are your go big go home. boys, unlock pitches and sell sell sell.
Anyone that has you as a new top school that you haven't offered scholarship offer now except PIPES.
STARTERS - get 20 minutes this week.
DEPTH - 10 minutes
Leftovers for your PIPELINES.

Remember: Always schedule a visit the instant they will let you. You get a lot of points, and then you know who you should focus on unlocking some extra pitches on.

WEEK 3

REACHES - check how you are aligning with your REACHES. Try hard selling and promising this week. This is the last week they are guaranteed to get 1 hour.
Cut anyone that you are not in top 10. (usually none).
Schedule visits with everyone that you can. 20 minute calls, why not unlock a pitch at same time.
Offer scholarships to anyone new with you top team.
Any guys that have you as top school that you haven't called yet that you have a big lead spend 10 minutes on a topic.
Then 20-30 minutes for starters that you need to.
Its week 3 so this time PIPELINES get 10 minutes before DEPTH. PIPELINES get my time every third week over DEPTH you gotta give them a little love. Later when your time opens up you can hit both DEPTHS and PIPELINES for 20 minutes, but you don't want to be making mad dashes for your PIPELINES.

Week 4 and Beyond
REACHES - Cut all that do not have you as a top ten school. Hopefully you might have that :5star: stud who likes you. Any REACHES that remain will get 1 hour every week. Do your best to sway and sell pitches. Promise the world. And hope that he doesn't sign until you get to schedule a visit or get to the off season.

If you find a recruit you are steadily going downhill on, check to see the schools competing with you. If there are a lot of schools with yellow interest cut this fool and replace him with someone else that you could use. Heck nothing says you can't start targeting another PIPELINE instead of wasting time on someone you don't have a chance of getting.

Offer scholarships when you are top interest or before a visit.
Make free promises like "no redshirt, winning rival record" to get out of sticky situations only after you have used all your topic changes.
If you have a healthy lead on a recruit, a quick call of 10 minutes is enough.
Top school but close battles, give them 30 or 40 minutes if you're big on him.
Top 3-5 give them time.
Don't ever be afraid to cut somebody if the competition is to high.

Remember to give a little love to those 1 star PIPELINE recruits that you are getting for pipelines! http://ncaastrategies.com/utopia/public/style_emoticons/default/ikonBoard/grinning.gif
I try to keep board full, as I remove players I will add recruits I think I can win to get pipeline states. :1star: battles are pretty easy to win since no one is really interested in them.

If you can pick up 2-3 pipeline states in 1 year, no matter how bad the rest of your recruiting went, next year is going to be awesome as you will have a lot more recruits interested in you from the get go.
EXTRAS

Instant Commit Bonus
This comes around once in awhile. One week your recruits will have something around a 10% chance of instant signing with you if they have you as top school and you have already offered a scholarship. All you have to do is spend 10 minutes with a guy and you are done! If when you are recruiting one of your guys instant commits, you need to rethink your strategy for the week. Look at your remaining time. Make sure you have enough at least spend 10 minutes on everyone whom fits the criteria. If you have 20 offers out there and they hit around a 10% rate, you can sign 1-2 more recruits this week!
Some people think that if they offer a scholarship during an instant sign week they still get credit for the instant sign. WRONG! If that player does commit it is just a lucky occurrence. It did not happen because of instant commit. Instant commit is rolled when the phone call begins, not after you pitch or offer.

Pink gem
Contrary to popular belief this symbol does not mean the recruit will out perform his stats or that he will develop quicker. All this mean is that a recruit you have not had on your board has a man crush on your school. If you add this player to your board, your school will be placed somewhere between 5 and 10 on the recruit's interest board. When looking through the recruits database you need to click on the recruit for more info. From here just scroll down through the recruits looking at the upper left corner. If you see a gem this is the guy. The only recruits that this is available for are :4star: and :5star:.

x2
Everybody loves this one. It is so straightforward. Everything you do with the recruit in this phone call gets a x2 bonus. When you see one of these when you make a call, lick your chops cause you are going to get 2 more! This is one reason that many users will try to keep a small board, they count on these bonuses like a lifeline. Always either compare (if it's very favorable to you) or hard sell the topic when you have the x2 bonus. Try to get the most favorable topics that you can (A+ Most is worth something like 225 points by itself) but don't be afraid to hard sell a C+ or B- if you have to.

Lock Symbol
When you see this, looks more like a paperclip, it simply mean that two interest levels for pitches have been revealed to you for this recruit. This will happen on two more recruits that you have.

Change topic during phone call.
People don't use these to their fullest potential. Many people think that you can save a roll by not doing this twice in a row. WRONG! You only get 3 per call. Not using them gets you nothing! They are back the next time you call the recruit! Use them and use them plentifully! I have heard of people getting low interest, reroll, least interest and then make a promise thinking they will need to save the reroll for either topic 5 or 6. This is so stupid. Use another reroll, if in topic 6 you need another but don't have any THEN use a promise. Promises are your lifelines, only use them once you strike out on all three change topics.
OFFSEASON

When offseason comes; search top 10 commitment, and add anyone that has you as green circle. These are the new guys whom you can sweep up to beef up your depth. Spend an hour on any recruits from steps the regular season except for PIPELINES. PIPELINES only need a visit to have their minds blown! PIPELINES will even sign without a scholarship after week 4 if you end up using all your scholarships. Rest of time goes to new talent, work fast. Schedule an early visit and nail that. Make any promises you can. It is time to seal the deal. Whenever room opens up on your board, add some recruits you can quickly seal the deal on to add to your pipelines. Remember 4 recruits from one state means a new pipeline!

By the end of the year, you should have a top class that has something that might look like this.
1-2 :4star: or :5star: players.
8-14 :3star: players.
8-16 :2star: players.
4-12 :1star: players.

1-3 pipeline states!

You should get a good amount of :3star: players that will bolster your roster, :2star: players that can have their own impacts on the games, and :1star: redshirted PIPELINES, who will probably get cut next year, unless they progress quite a bit, when grab other recruits from their state.

Year 2 you will notice that there are some :4star: players with you as top interest if you picked up some pipeline states and you progress to a :2star: college.

CYCLE PLAYER RECRUITING PLAN

Another thing I like to do is try to offset single start positions with each other.
I never like to have a freshman starting at any position, I like everyone to have at least 2 years of development before starting, plus when you don't have to worry about spending minutes on positions you don't need, you can try double recruiting on players you do need and keep the better of the two guys you get.

Example: When my youngest qb is a SO that year I will try to get a qb. This means every other year I get a qb. My team will always have at least a JR qb starting at this rate. The odd year out is when I target the other offensive stud hb. This way each year I switch which position I am trying to recruit, and always have a JR starting at each position! (two progressions at both positions.)

Year 1.
qb1=sr hb1=jr
qb2=so hb2=fr
This year I target QB
Year 2
qb2=jr hb1=sr
qb3=fr hb2=so
This year I target HB
Year3
qb2=sr hb2=jr
qb3=so hb3=fr
This year get QB nstead of hb.
See the pattern?

Doing things like this will help keep those single starter positions with JR+ starters. You can treat LE and RE as different positions the same way. Following this method, you only need to target 11 players each year! Because CB and WR you tend to need 3 for 3 wide sets and nickle defense I always try to get at least 1wr and cb per year. Look at the freedom your board has now!

1 year ex.
QB FB TE LT LE RE LOLB MLB SS WR CB
2 year cont.
HB LG C RG RT DT ROLB FS dt/olb(3-4 vs 43) WR CB
3 year cont.
1 year ex.
QB FB TE LT LE RE LOLB MLB SS WR CB
ect.

So now you can go for the top two recruits at each position you want = 22 players on board. That is easy to manage. You now have room for 13 recruits you like to recruit just for the heck of it! Don't forget a punter or Kicker every 4 years! (or take the walk ons like me lol) Don't forget to sign some easy grabs for pipeline states!

Have your FR back up your JR at their intended spots, they will get some playtime throughout the year and gain additional training. Same goes for setting SO to back up the SRs.

Because everyone on your team is now starting at JR and playing through SR, you will see some guys going to the Pros, which will in turn increase your school's pro potential pitch more! (only exception to the JR+ starting every year is when a JR declares pro early, then you have at least a SO starting.)

*note
When I do recruit a player in an off year, like lets say I got a hb year 1, I can redshirt him and next year he is the equivalent of an already recruited freshmen with +1 year development! *

Recruiting Icon Descriptions

Open Padlock: Each week, three players on your Recruiting Board will have two random pitches unlocked without needing to spend any time chatting with them.

Pink Diamond: This icon indicates that a four or five star recruit has a hidden interest in your school. Once placed on your Recruiting Board, you will be listed between 7th and 10th on their list. They will need to be recruited normally from there on out in order to sign them.

X2 (Double Points): Three players on your Recruiting Board will receive double the recruiting points when targeting pitches. For example, if focusing on a Hard Sell would normally provide a +13 boost will now give +26. The x2 also applies within Competitive Recruiting.

Cipher 8
07-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Ahh so you will be posting all this stuff you mentioned? :D

morsdraconis
07-10-2011, 12:16 PM
I wish. I can't find the information for any of the other stuff. I was in the process of doing it myself with '10 forever ago, but never got around to it.

There used to be a thread on OperationSports that had a REALLY good breakdown of how to recruit in '11 and REALLY work the system to maximize your time spent on recruits, but I can't find it anymore. I was planning on posting it when I made this thread, but I can't find it anymore.

JeffHCross
07-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Posted by PocketScout on another forum.

Here is a little breakdown. I dont have the D- information included in this one.

4.24 xxx 445 795 99 A+
4.26 xxx 440 785 98 A+
4.28 xxx 435 775 97 A+

4.30 xxx 430 765 96 A
4.32 xxx 425 755 95 A
4.34 515 420 745 94 A

4.36 509 415 735 93 A-
4.38 503 410 725 92 A-

4.40 497 405 715 91 B+
4.42 491 400 705 90 B+
4.44 485 395 695 89 B+
4.46 480 390 690 88 B+

4.48 474 385 680 87 B
4.50 468 380 670 86 B
4.52 462 375 665 85 B
4.54 456 370 655 84 B

4.56 450 365 645 83 B-
4.58 444 360 640 82 B-
4.60 438 355 630 81 B-
4.62 432 350 620 80 B-

4.64 426 345 610 79 C+
4.66 420 340 605 78 C+
4.68 414 335 595 77 C+
4.70 408 330 585 76 C+

4.72 402 325 580 75 C
4.74 396 320 570 74 C
4.76 390 315 560 73 C
4.78 384 310 555 72 C

4.80 378 305 545 71 C-
4.82 372 300 535 70 C-
4.84 366 295 525 69 C-

4.86 360 290 520 68 D+
4.88 354 285 510 67 D+
4.90 348 280 500 66 D+

4.92 342 275 495 65 D
4.94 336 270 485 64 D
4.96 330 265 475 63 D
4.98 325 260 470 62 D
5.00 319 255 460 61 D
5.02 313 250 450 60 D
UPDATE:
40: is the SPD rating
BNCH: is the STR rating
SQT-S: (Skill Players only) TAK for defense and BTK for offense
SQT-L: (Linemen and Linebackers) TAK for defense and RBK for offense

morsdraconis
07-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for adding that Jeff, but, unfortunately, it's still not everything since it doesn't break down what the letter grades mean for the other ratings (acceleration, agility, jumping, etc).

If I can't find it anywhere, I'm going to end up doing it myself when I get the game.

morsdraconis
07-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Found something similar and added it to the main post along with Jeff's post.

Cipher 8
07-10-2011, 03:35 PM
I know where you got this... http://ncaastrategies.com/utopia/topic/76327-recruiting-tips/

Not saying it as a bad thing but I've been reading that thread for awhile now. I agree with some of his tactics but not all. Thanks for updating the main post with it although I must say... I don't really understand how it all works but I suppose it'll make more sense when i have the game in front of me...

Would this thread come in handy? http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?1793-JeffHCross-Project-1-How-is-OVR-determined&highlight=Overall+rating

JeffHCross
07-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks for adding that Jeff, but, unfortunately, it's still not everything since it doesn't break down what the letter grades mean for the other ratings (acceleration, agility, jumping, etc).Yeah it does. The RAT column matches up with the GRD column, and that's true for every rating. You won't know exactly your ACC or AGI, sure, but that's as close as you're going to get.

Side note: what you put in the first post is the exact same list I posted (and presumably from the same person). I just made it a table :)

morsdraconis
07-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Side note: what you put in the first post is the exact same list I posted (and presumably from the same person). I just made it a table :)

Yeah, I know. I just didn't want to take the time to make it a table. :)

Cipher 8
07-10-2011, 05:38 PM
I don't want to sound like a retard, and sorry for using the term, but how do I read and understand these formulas to determine or predict what my recruit's rating are ahead of time?

Like this formula (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?hl=en&key=tm2zWAtr5OdhpxUNpkj2jFg&hl=en&f=false&gid=0) from Rudy's post (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?1793-JeffHCross-Project-1-How-is-OVR-determined&p=53244&viewfull=1#post53244) seems to detail what specific stats are more valuable for each specific position.

But then your formula is also looking to do the same thing but on a broader scale, but I don't know what the GRADE and RATING means and how it all works if you have a prospect that is mixed and matched...

spd str btk/tck rb/tck
4.24 xxx 445 795 99 A+
4.26 xxx 440 785 98 A+
4.28 xxx 435 775 97 A+
4.86 360 290 520 68 D+
4.88 354 285 510 67 D+
4.90 348 280 500 66 D+
4.92 342 275 495 65 D
4.94 336 270 485 64 D
4.96 330 265 475 63 D
4.98 325 260 470 62 D
5.00 319 255 460 61 D
5.02 313 250 450 60 D

Like for example what if a recruit has a 5.02 spd 40 time but a SQT-S of 440. I'm sorry if I'm confusing but I am just a little behind and I feel I missed some discussion already on how this all works and am now just trying to catch up and understand what this all means.

morsdraconis
07-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Like for example what if a recruit has a 5.02 spd 40 time but a SQT-S of 440. I'm sorry if I'm confusing but I am just a little behind and I feel I missed some discussion already on how this all works and am now just trying to catch up and understand what this all means.

Based on your example, his speed with be 60 and his break tackle or tackle (depending on if he was an offensive or defensive player) would be 98.

You read the chart by finding what your comparing (say the Squat rating for two defensive linemen - SQT-L) and then determining, based on their number in that category (say one guy has a 690 and the other has a 665), what each player's Tackling attribute would be (first guy would have a 89 and the 2nd guy would have a 85).

Cipher 8
07-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Oh it's simpler than I thought... I was over thinking...

JeffHCross
07-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Cipher and I had a discussion about Rudy's OVR formula spreadsheet (which Cipher mentioned earlier in this thread). For the sake of keeping this thread limited to recruiting, I had that discussion moved over here (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?1793-JeffHCross-Project-1-How-is-OVR-determined&p=79665&viewfull=1#post79665).

However, there are a couple things I mentioned in that discussion that probably belong in this thread:

What I've been told is that Break Tackle is used for simulations (Super Sim/CPU games/"Sim this game"), while Elusiveness and Trucking are used during actual gameplay. Doesn't matter if the player is controlling them or not. Break Tackle doesn't matter during an actual game, based on what was posted on another forum some number of years ago.

Ball Carrier Vision I have zero knowledge of. I've been wondering what it does for years.

I believe Elusiveness is used for when you try to "elude" or "slip" a tackle (I believe it's a heavy component in why some QBs are able to slip out of sacks, for example), whereas Trucking is for power moves and going through a tackle. I think I've seen some truck moves performed without input on the truck stick, so it's not solely related to stick input.

Cipher 8
07-10-2011, 09:44 PM
So SQT-S is for Safeties, Cornerbacks, Wide Receivers, Runningbacks, and Quarterbacks (Possibly Athletes, Fullbacks, and Tight Ends as well)

Where as;

SQT-L is for Linebackers, Defensive Lineman (DE and DT) and Offensive Lineman (C, G, T)?

I wonder where Fullback and Tight Ends fall in line because I consider them closer to lineman than skilled players... but who knows. And Athletes are just a toss up I have absolutely no idea which SQT column to use for determining their ratings?

Just a centralized area to share recruiting tactics.

spd str btk/tck rb/tck
4.24 xxx 445 795 99 A+
4.26 xxx 440 785 98 A+
4.28 xxx 435 775 97 A+
4.30 xxx 430 765 96 A
4.32 xxx 425 755 95 A
4.34 515 420 745 94 A
4.36 509 415 735 93 A-
4.38 503 410 725 92 A-
4.40 497 405 715 91 B+
4.42 491 400 705 90 B+
4.44 485 395 695 89 B+
4.46 480 390 690 88 B+
4.48 474 385 680 87 B
4.50 468 380 670 86 B
4.52 462 375 665 85 B
4.54 456 370 655 84 B
4.56 450 365 645 83 B-
4.58 444 360 640 82 B-
4.60 438 355 630 81 B-
4.62 432 350 620 80 B-
4.64 426 345 610 79 C+
4.66 420 340 605 78 C+
4.68 414 335 595 77 C+
4.70 408 330 585 76 C+
4.72 402 325 580 75 C
4.74 396 320 570 74 C
4.76 390 315 560 73 C
4.78 384 310 555 72 C
4.80 378 305 545 71 C-
4.82 372 300 535 70 C-
4.84 366 295 525 69 C-
4.86 360 290 520 68 D+
4.88 354 285 510 67 D+
4.90 348 280 500 66 D+
4.92 342 275 495 65 D
4.94 336 270 485 64 D
4.96 330 265 475 63 D
4.98 325 260 470 62 D
5.00 319 255 460 61 D
5.02 313 250 450 60 D
UPDATE:
40: is the speed rating
BNCH: is the str rating
SQT-S: is tackle for defense and break tackle for offense, this is skill players.
SQT-L: is tackle for defense and run block for offense, this is lineman and linebackers.

JeffHCross
07-10-2011, 09:47 PM
As you said, Fullbacks and Tight Ends are the X-factor because it's not clear where they'd fall. But otherwise, yes.

Cipher 8
07-10-2011, 09:51 PM
As you said, Fullbacks and Tight Ends are the X-factor because it's not clear where they'd fall. But otherwise, yes.

And Athletes... :confused::dunno:

morsdraconis
07-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Athletes fall wherever their most logical position that they translate to has them going to.

For FBs and TEs, the Squat appears to translate to break tackle instead of run blocking, from what I can remember seeing.

oweb26
07-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Ahh I love recruiting I will post my recruting strategy later today or tomorrow just to throw it out there.

Cipher 8
07-19-2011, 02:23 AM
Anyone else having problems with the pink gems? You know the ones where when you add them you'll be randomly placed on their top 10 somewhere. I keep adding them and it shows me on their top 10, I call them, leave the dynasty for whatever reasons and when I come back either that week or when it's advanced I'm no longer on their top 10. The pink gem still is there and I wasted time calling them but nope not on their top ten.

Very annoying bug and a easy waste of 60 minutes most of the time. -_-

Archedemius
07-19-2011, 09:50 AM
I have not had that problem yet with the pink gem. I add them and call them right away if that's any different from what you do.

Pantera1968
07-19-2011, 12:38 PM
A few pink gem questions:

1. Are they there at the beginning of recruiting?

2. Do new ones come up during the year or are the ones there at the beginning the only ones that you will find that year? I don't want to waste time looking each week if there aren't going to be any new ones coming up.

morsdraconis
07-19-2011, 12:47 PM
1. They are there after between week 2 and 4 (can't remember exactly)

2. Pretty sure they are the only ones, and more aren't added later on or anything (but, I'm not sure on that one).

Pantera1968
07-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks man. So it looks like if I search for them through, say, week 5 then that's probably the last of them. Even if there are some that generate later than week 5 and you vault into their top 10, from my experience it doesn't seem likely that you will have enough time to have a realistic shot at actually signing them.

morsdraconis
07-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks man. So it looks like if I search for them through, say, week 5 then that's probably the last of them. Even if there are some that generate later than week 5 and you vault into their top 10, from my experience it doesn't seem likely that you will have enough time to have a realistic shot at actually signing them.

I think even week 5 might be too late. Week 4 is definitely when I see them, but, truthfully, I usually completely forget about looking for them before then and I don't know for sure when they first crop up but they are definitely only :4star: and :5star: players so it's fairly easy to look for them.

Cipher 8
07-19-2011, 06:37 PM
A few pink gem questions:

1. Are they there at the beginning of recruiting?

2. Do new ones come up during the year or are the ones there at the beginning the only ones that you will find that year? I don't want to waste time looking each week if there aren't going to be any new ones coming up.

1. It depends if you add anyone to your recruiting board in preseason if you don't and it's 0/35 week 1 you're guaranteed to get one if you do add people you'll get 3 of them with X2 or pitches unlocked bonus instead.

2. I've noticed pink gems that show up later in the year but I never add them because usually they already are in top 5 stage and somebody is always like 1000 pts ahead.

I just had the pink gem glitch happen to me and my brother again, different dynasty. It's definitely a bug.

Bucknut216
07-19-2011, 06:46 PM
This has been really helpful, my strategy is just recruit spending a hour on all the key guys for like 6 weeks without autosave and then go back to week 1 and key in on recruits likes and skip topics their low on.

Cipher 8
07-19-2011, 06:53 PM
That shit really pisses me off too. I purposely give up my random bonus to 3 prospects to get a pink gem and now I'm not on the pink gems top 10 plus I wasted 60 minutes on him. Stupid buggy game, they better patch that shit.

Bucknut216
07-19-2011, 06:54 PM
I also do create a prospect and make people like fictiously Coby Matthews ( Clay's other son), Bam Herron (Boom H. OSU lil brother) and Orlando Pace Jr and Eddie George III.

Cipher 8
07-19-2011, 06:54 PM
This has been really helpful, my strategy is just recruit spending a hour on all the key guys for like 6 weeks without autosave and then go back to week 1 and key in on recruits likes and skip topics their low on.haha that's cheating ;)

Bucknut216
07-19-2011, 07:00 PM
It's not cheating, now you can focus resources better. I only recruit like 28 or 29 guys and by week 3 or 4, I have all except about two with me as top interest. I also make up a few players all of which are probably from Ohio that are legacy players. Cousins, sons or little brothers of players I liked. When I get like up 200 points on other schools I only give that guy 10 minutes on one of his most liked topics.

JeffHCross
07-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Anyone else having problems with the pink gems?Cipher, are you giving them scholarship offers during the call? On NCAA '11, it seemed like when I had a pink gem and I gave him a scholarship, I dropped off his Top 10. But when I didn't, I stayed.

I agree with you that there's certainly something strange going on ... just trying to find a pattern to it.

McGriffLe
07-19-2011, 07:40 PM
This has been really helpful, my strategy is just recruit spending a hour on all the key guys for like 6 weeks without autosave and then go back to week 1 and key in on recruits likes and skip topics their low on.

This is cheating. But leave it to an OSU guy to say it isn't.

Bucknut216
07-19-2011, 10:59 PM
This isnt cheating, in real life you can pay a "scout" to find out whether some kid likes his grandmother's macaroni or sweet potato pie better.

Bucknut216
07-19-2011, 11:01 PM
I always offer a scholarship the first time I talked to a guy, is this a good idea or should I wait to they visit or something.

morsdraconis
07-19-2011, 11:04 PM
It's a much better strategy to only offer the scholarship if you are #1 on their list (cause it has a chance of causing an instant commit).

There are only two times that you should offer it outside of that:

#1: If you ever have the red down arrow (like a school jumped you or you just didn't pay enough attention to the recruit the past week). Then you should give them 60 minutes and offer the scholarship that week.
#2: They are visiting that week and you haven't offered it to them yet.

Otherwise, you should always try to keep from offering the scholarship until you are #1 on their list.

oweb26
07-20-2011, 06:07 AM
It's a much better strategy to only offer the scholarship if you are #1 on their list (cause it has a chance of causing an instant commit).

There are only two times that you should offer it outside of that:

#1: If you ever have the red down arrow (like a school jumped you or you just didn't pay enough attention to the recruit the past week). Then you should give them 60 minutes and offer the scholarship that week.
#2: They are visiting that week and you haven't offered it to them yet.

Otherwise, you should always try to keep from offering the scholarship until you are #1 on their list.

That's not necessarily true, if you aren't on there board or aren't making any moves I would advise you to go ahead and offer. Holding your scholarship gives you a better chance of being jumped by another school who has already offered them and IMO I use promises for the week they are visiting or have a down arrow. I will post my recruiting strategy sometime soon, it pretty close to what mors had in the first post.

To better clarify if you are number one then yes I would go ahead and offer them, but if you are numbers 5-10 I would also offer just to move up.

McGriffLe
07-20-2011, 09:15 AM
This isnt cheating, in real life you can pay a "scout" to find out whether some kid likes his grandmother's macaroni or sweet potato pie better.

Like i said before leave it to the OSU guy to not call it cheating. This game doesn't have scouts so you have to ask the recruit yourself if he likes to stay close to home or not. Its cheating. No gray area here. Remember when you could save on Online dynasty to your hard drive. Well people got slick and would save it and recruit and find the good pitches and the highest rated guys. That was also cheating.

Bucknut216
07-20-2011, 02:06 PM
What's a pink gem, how do I tell 4 ps3

morsdraconis
07-20-2011, 04:25 PM
What's a pink gem, how do I tell 4 ps3

Description of Pink Gem as well as the other two recruiting icons added in the first post (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?2661-NCAA-Football-12-Dynasty-Mode-Recruiting-Compendium&p=79398&viewfull=1#post79398)

JSHT21
07-20-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm stuck on how to recruit my first year, still haven't even passed the preseason because of it.

LBs, Safeties I'm good, I need a DE and a DT. a G and a T, FB and P. Every other posistion is solid for years to come. I feel bad not recruiting any skill players but honestly this year I don't need them.

Playing with Clemson.

QBs, two pure freshman, one RS soph
RB, freshman, sophmore, rs junior, rs sophmore
WR, 4 freshman, junior sophmore

Just really stuck on what to do. I keep also getting way too many people on my recruitng board. Is it best to get 20 and use 30 minutes on each? even my "reach" guys.

Also are 3* recruits really bad? Or can they end up being your overall 80-85 guys? Just confused if I should go for mainly 3*s then a few 4*s and a 5* or two.

jusblaze09
07-20-2011, 04:41 PM
You should grab at least one RB and WR so they are sure to RS. You probably don't need a top flight QB since you have Boyd.

Cipher 8
07-21-2011, 03:29 AM
Cipher, are you giving them scholarship offers during the call? On NCAA '11, it seemed like when I had a pink gem and I gave him a scholarship, I dropped off his Top 10. But when I didn't, I stayed.

I agree with you that there's certainly something strange going on ... just trying to find a pattern to it.
Yeah I think I am. Trying to gain as many points and go up their board as possible. Scholarships usually help. I only really wait to offer them if I'm already in their top 3 and I can get to #1 soon or if I have a bunch of WR's and I won't offer the lower ones scholly's while I do the good ones so the good ones don't get concerned/mad.

Cipher 8
07-21-2011, 03:48 AM
What happened to that other thread where there were two youtube videos about recruiting? I think the thread was closed but I cannot find the videos anywhere and I would like to watch them.

JSHT21
07-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Anyone noticing that Allamerican recruiting is too easy but Heisman is way to hard this year?

I did three weeks with allamerican and had 6 signed already, 5 3*s and 1 5*. on heisman half of my board hard signed someone else. nothing I did moved me up.

Last year I went with heisman and it felt just right.

pantherone26
07-21-2011, 05:46 PM
I didn't really know about Pink Gem recruits until this thread (thanks by the way!) but I'm having an issue with one in my dynasty.

So I'm UCLA, a 2 star prestige team, and after Week 1 of the dynasty I went thru the recruits looking for Pink Gems. To my surprise, I'd only had 3 star players interested in me, the number 5 overall player and 5 star recruit was a Pink Gem for me. I added him to my list and I was then number 6 on his list. I recruited him for a full hour to the tune of around 400 points. The following week I was not in his top 10, and no one looked to jump out to him based on his recruiting top 10 list. He didn't take any visits or commit to any school or anything. Is this normal? Should I continue to go after him? Etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cipher 8
07-21-2011, 06:34 PM
I didn't really know about Pink Gem recruits until this thread (thanks by the way!) but I'm having an issue with one in my dynasty.

So I'm UCLA, a 2 star prestige team, and after Week 1 of the dynasty I went thru the recruits looking for Pink Gems. To my surprise, I'd only had 3 star players interested in me, the number 5 overall player and 5 star recruit was a Pink Gem for me. I added him to my list and I was then number 6 on his list. I recruited him for a full hour to the tune of around 400 points. The following week I was not in his top 10, and no one looked to jump out to him based on his recruiting top 10 list. He didn't take any visits or commit to any school or anything. Is this normal? Should I continue to go after him? Etc.

Yep. Exactly what I'm talking about. This has happened to me at least 5 different times now, only twice has a pink gem actually stayed and had me on their top 10 after the first week. So annoying. They need to fix this bug.

Ohh and don't waste your time going after him any longer if you get this glitch, I did that once and never made it back on his top 10. Wasted minutes.

Cipher 8
07-21-2011, 06:57 PM
What happened to that other thread where there were two youtube videos about recruiting? I think the thread was closed but I cannot find the videos anywhere and I would like to watch them.

So can anybody point me in the right direction to these videos?

pantherone26
07-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Cipher, are you giving them scholarship offers during the call? On NCAA '11, it seemed like when I had a pink gem and I gave him a scholarship, I dropped off his Top 10. But when I didn't, I stayed.

I offered my game a scholarship and the following week he was gone. I hope you are right about not offering a scholarship, maybe I'll try that next time.

Bucknut216
08-06-2011, 04:35 PM
When a player is ready for a visit make sure its the first thing you ask them that week because they will mention it if you don't.

JeffHCross
08-07-2011, 10:00 AM
When a player is ready for a visit make sure its the first thing you ask them that week because they will mention it if you don't.Based on experience with NCAA 11, even if you schedule a visit with them first thing on a Week 1 call, they still might say that they've been "waiting". As far as I know, nobody's been able to put a finger on the cause, but I don't believe it has any tangible impact.

JerzeyReign
08-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Sorry but the real life football coach has come out of me.... what the hell does compendium mean? Lets use smaller words here fellas... lol... but nice work Mors :)

morsdraconis
08-08-2011, 01:23 PM
com·pen·di·um/kəmˈpendēəm/Noun

1. A collection of concise but detailed information about a particular subject.
2. A collection of things, esp. one systematically gathered.

:up:

;)

JerzeyReign
08-08-2011, 03:36 PM
com·pen·di·um/kəmˈpendēəm/Noun

1. A collection of concise but detailed information about a particular subject.
2. A collection of things, esp. one systematically gathered.

:up:

;)

Thanks. I'll stick with a 'bunch of sh!t' until after football season :)

morsdraconis
08-08-2011, 08:45 PM
:D

majesty95
08-10-2011, 09:12 PM
So I guess the moral of the story here is: don't waste your time on "pink gems"?

Is there an inherent benefit to adding players to your board in the preseason (as opposed to not and hoping for the broken pink gem)?

morsdraconis
08-10-2011, 09:19 PM
So I guess the moral of the story here is: don't waste your time on "pink gems"?

I there an inherent benefit to adding players to your board in the preseason (as opposed to not and hoping for the broken pink gem)?

Not sure what the issue is with the Pink Gem stuff. I've had no issues at all with Pink Gem players. In fact, in my current offline dynasty, I'm about to score a :4star: Pink Gem player with a :1star: team.

As for the benefit to adding players in preseason, there's definitely a benefit because you have a chance of the "3x" and "Lock" icons to happen during week 1.

As for the broken pink gem thing, what exactly are you talking about with that?

majesty95
08-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Not sure what the issue is with the Pink Gem stuff.

See below:

Yep. Exactly what I'm talking about. This has happened to me at least 5 different times now, only twice has a pink gem actually stayed and had me on their top 10 after the first week. So annoying. They need to fix this bug.

Ohh and don't waste your time going after him any longer if you get this glitch, I did that once and never made it back on his top 10. Wasted minutes.

SmoothPancakes
08-11-2011, 12:50 AM

Is there an inherent benefit to adding players to your board in the preseason (as opposed to not and hoping for the broken pink gem)?

Not sure what the issue is with the Pink Gem stuff. I've had no issues at all with Pink Gem players. In fact, in my current offline dynasty, I'm about to score a :4star: Pink Gem player with a :1star: team.

As for the benefit to adding players in preseason, there's definitely a benefit because you have a chance of the "3x" and "Lock" icons to happen during week 1.

I've never had an issue with a Pink Gem either. In fact, in my FIU dynasty, I'm battling Auburn to score a :4star: DE that I picked up in week 2. Now in week 5, I'm in 2nd place and 300 points behind Auburn, slowly closing the gap each week with massive points gains in recruiting.

baseballplyrmvp
09-18-2011, 05:12 PM
is there any advantage of recruiting a tall receiver with a really good jumping rating, but bad catching/spectacular catch/catch in traffic ratings, vs a tiny receiver who is slightly slower but a little better possession type receiver?

whats the advantage of going after a 6'4", 6'5", and 6'6" type receiver, if it means sacrificing a letter grade in some other ratings?

Anubis1631
09-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Anyone know how to actually get a guy to change his mind on a pitch.I can never be successfulw hen I sway pitches, lil help please

baseballplyrmvp
10-11-2011, 07:39 PM
playing in an offline dynasty as :Hawaii:.....and i just had to to offer Offensive Guard Stephon Gschwend. 6'0" 315 lb Juco from Honolulu, Hawaii. he committed on the spot.

baseballplyrmvp
10-16-2011, 01:42 PM
can scheduling a visit with a recruit hurt you? i'm recruiting one guy and am in a 3 team race. i'm the only school who's offered him a scholarship and scheduled a visit with him during the regular season (week 15).

morsdraconis
10-16-2011, 03:54 PM
It's never too early to schedule a visit though offering a scholarship early is debatable.

It really just comes down to how hard the CPU decides to recruit the guy. If the CPU wants him, unless you're a power school, you're lucky to have a prayer.

Vorzilla
10-17-2011, 09:42 PM
The info here is great to explain symbols and parts of the game the manual doesnt deem important ....

the only thing I would add is set your sights higher...unless you are at a terrible school theres no need to bottom feed...I only recruit 5 and 4 star players...i had the top class recently with 19 4 stars and 2 5 stars ....the bulk of the strategy here is solid..im not sure if it would change much when you go for more premium talent...also dont over value PIPELINE states...most dont add much benefit...but every region has power house states you should try to gravitate to California Texas Ohio Virginia Florida and Pennsylvania are the top states and ever program is near one of these states...all you really need is one of these states and your host state and youll be just fine.

i do give scholarship offers on the first call....ill will try it the other way and hold out and see if there is a truly a change ...ill return and report my findings....

also remember unless you are rebuilding a bad program you wont need 30 recruits...i find it best to keep my board around 20 and by midseason a strong list of 15...

most key thing..LEARN TO LET GO cut guys who show no real interest in your school dont waste your time

jlovevols
10-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Does anybody have info on how a recruit's stars & letter ratings relate to their rating when they get on campus? For example, what would the overall rating as a freshman be for a 3-star WR recruit with average letter ratings? Also, does the sparq rating mean anything? It seems like all players at the same position with the same amount of stars have the same sparq rating.

irishskillz72
12-02-2011, 12:16 AM
a general question - I got about 15 3 star recruits in my dynasty last year, how many years will it take for them to be playable? 80 overall?

morsdraconis
12-02-2011, 12:31 AM
a general question - I got about 15 3 star recruits in my dynasty last year, how many years will it take for them to be playable? 80 overall?

It depends on several things. The prestige of the school, the prestige of the coach, and their hidden potential rating.

Normally, you're looking at season 3 for them to be in the 80 overall area, but, again, it depends on several factors.

irishskillz72
12-03-2011, 12:21 PM
does a redshirt year count as a "season"? like could he go through 1 redshirt year and 2 regular years and have an 80 overall?

morsdraconis
12-03-2011, 04:40 PM
does a redshirt year count as a "season"? like could he go through 1 redshirt year and 2 regular years and have an 80 overall?

Yup. Redshirting them definitely counts as a season and is always recommended to redshirt them. Unless, of course, you have to use the promise to not redshirt them to get them to come to your school to begin with, then you should wait until year 2 to redshirt them. But, you should always redshirt them as soon as possible. :4star: players become viable after just two years (one redshirt and one regular year) and :3star: players are normally viable by year 3.

One thing you definitely want to pay attention to, though, is how the players progress. It can tell you quite a bit on how viable of an option they are for your team during their time there. If you get a freshman that starts out at 70 overall, and, after one year, progresses to a 74 overall but then only progresses to a 75 overall after the second year, you're looking at probably only 1 year, maybe 2 years, worth of true viable play from him. Whereas, if you have a freshman that starts out at 70 overall, but consistently jumps up 3-4 points a year, you're looking at him being a viable option (depending on your depth already and the makeup of your team) as early as the beginning of his 3rd season with the team with two more viable years to go (again, depending on the depth of your team and so on).

Overall, it's very much worth keeping track of the improvements your players make during the offseason as it can tell you quite a bit about whether or not you're going to need to replace that guy earlier than you thought you would. I can tell you that my rule of thumb is, unless the guy is a :5star: recruit that's starting out in the lower 80s to begin with, if they only improve 1 point during either one of their first two seasons on your team, you're wasting a spot on your roster by keeping them. Because they've already peeked at their full potential as a player and won't be much better than they already are, you're better off to get someone else to try to fill their roster spot.

illwill10
12-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Yup. Redshirting them definitely counts as a season and is always recommended to redshirt them. Unless, of course, you have to use the promise to not redshirt them to get them to come to your school to begin with, then you should wait until year 2 to redshirt them. But, you should always redshirt them as soon as possible. :4star: players become viable after just two years (one redshirt and one regular year) and :3star: players are normally viable by year 3.

One thing you definitely want to pay attention to, though, is how the players progress. It can tell you quite a bit on how viable of an option they are for your team during their time there. If you get a freshman that starts out at 70 overall, and, after one year, progresses to a 74 overall but then only progresses to a 75 overall after the second year, you're looking at probably only 1 year, maybe 2 years, worth of true viable play from him. Whereas, if you have a freshman that starts out at 70 overall, but consistently jumps up 3-4 points a year, you're looking at him being a viable option (depending on your depth already and the makeup of your team) as early as the beginning of his 3rd season with the team with two more viable years to go (again, depending on the depth of your team and so on).

Overall, it's very much worth keeping track of the improvements your players make during the offseason as it can tell you quite a bit about whether or not you're going to need to replace that guy earlier than you thought you would. I can tell you that my rule of thumb is, unless the guy is a :5star: recruit that's starting out in the lower 80s to begin with, if they only improve 1 point during either one of their first two seasons on your team, you're wasting a spot on your roster by keeping them. Because they've already peeked at their full potential as a player and won't be much better than they already are, you're better off to get someone else to try to fill their roster spot.
I RS as soon as I can with every player. Unless lack of depth or talent of player, I will RS them and will not 2nd guess myself. If I know I am he is not going to get alot of time, then I am doing is wasting a year. Even if he is better than the next guy, I will still RS him and save him for future.
I usually RS FR guys that either are low rated but good physical ratings or Fr who are already good(75-80), but I have good enough quality of depth. I just RSed two of my 3 RTs, who are 4 star FR and backups, because I wanted to save for future and I could move around some RTs. Since there arent too many OL injuries and I dont rotate OL, It was doable. For some reason, I usually have 8+ WRs and usually all of them are already RSed, but they have good physical ratings so I dont want to cut them. The only position I hesistate to RS is RB. I like running a RB by committee, so I like to keep alot of RBs.

irishskillz72
12-04-2011, 03:07 PM
One thing i noticed just today: scheduling a visit during a bye week is a HUGE disadvantage. I had every single recruit visit during week 7, a bye week, and i had great pitches for all of them. Almost every recruit should have been at least an A- visit, but the highest i got was a C+. As you can imagine, it was extremely disappointing. Lol I'm pretty heated

morsdraconis
12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
One thing i noticed just today: scheduling a visit during a bye week is a HUGE disadvantage. I had every single recruit visit during week 7, a bye week, and i had great pitches for all of them. Almost every recruit should have been at least an A- visit, but the highest i got was a C+. As you can imagine, it was extremely disappointing. Lol I'm pretty heated

Yeah. ALWAYS schedule them for a week with a game, and especially, if you can, a rivalry game. You're guaranteed to have a bad visit if you schedule them for a bye week. You're almost better off not to schedule them at all.

JeffHCross
12-08-2011, 07:47 PM
does a redshirt year count as a "season"? like could he go through 1 redshirt year and 2 regular years and have an 80 overall?A player will usually not progress as much in a redshirt year as they would a year when they played, but, you get the added bonus of them being better by the end of their junior year. So a guy who might have been 80 as a junior if he hadn't redshirted might be 83 instead.

psychicDB
12-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Sorry for the necropost, I just registered to say that I've been lurking on this thread for a while and it's really really good. The only thing I would add is that I recommend portioning out how many minutes I'm gonna give to all my guys in advance. So starting with 600 minutes(10 hours), I write on a piece of paper:

Smith - 20
Johnson - 30
Lewis - 10
Jones - 40

etc.

Then once I finish I will usually be over or under. At that point, if I'm under 600 minutes(10 hours) I will determine who most needs the extra time. If I'm over, I will determine who least needs a lot of time. That way I'm not just figuring out how much time for everyone on the go without knowing in advance if I'm gonna have any leftover time.

morsdraconis
12-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Sorry for the necropost, I just registered to say that I've been lurking on this thread for a while and it's really really good. The only thing I would add is that I recommend portioning out how many minutes I'm gonna give to all my guys in advance. So starting with 600 minutes(10 hours), I write on a piece of paper:

Smith - 20
Johnson - 30
Lewis - 10
Jones - 40

etc.

Then once I finish I will usually be over or under. At that point, if I'm under 600 minutes(10 hours) I will determine who most needs the extra time. If I'm over, I will determine who least needs a lot of time. That way I'm not just figuring out how much time for everyone on the go without knowing in advance if I'm gonna have any leftover time.

No problem man. Glad it's been able to help ya!

Yeah. It's definitely a great thing to plan ahead when it comes to recruiting. I always try to plan ahead so that I can space everything out and hit everyone that I want to hit. You'd be surprised how often you just flat out nail a recruit with no real opposition though (especially low prestige schools).

JeffHCross
12-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Sorry for the necropost, I just registered to say that I've been lurking on this thread for a while and it's really really good. The only thing I would add is that I recommend portioning out how many minutes I'm gonna give to all my guys in advance. So starting with 600 minutes(10 hours), I write on a piece of paper:Yep. Done that every week for the last three versions. Obviously it's a lot easier to hit a target now (and, therefore, considerably less challenging/fun for me)

psychicDB
12-23-2011, 08:09 PM
How should I adapt this guide to fit a :6star: prestige school, instead of a cupcake school like it was intended for?

I just got to :6star: prestige (started out as :2star: prestige) so I don't know how I should set up my board now that I have tons of :5star: and :4star: players interested in me. I'm actually holding off on starting this season until I get a reply here lol so I don't screw up my recruiting for the whole year!

Thanks.

morsdraconis
12-24-2011, 07:38 AM
How should I adapt this guide to fit a :6star: prestige school, instead of a cupcake school like it was intended for?

I just got to :6star: prestige (started out as :2star: prestige) so I don't know how I should set up my board now that I have tons of :5star: and :4star: players interested in me. I'm actually holding off on starting this season until I get a reply here lol so I don't screw up my recruiting for the whole year!

Thanks.

Instead of going after just the guys interested in you, go after the top guys in the class with your first 3-4 spots and then go after the guys that have you in their top 10 in interests.

steelerfan
12-24-2011, 10:49 AM
When I'm recruiting at a top-notch program, I fill my board with 4 and 5-star guys who have me in their top 3. I try to avoid going after players who don't have me in their top 3, unless they are a need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

psychicDB
12-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Ok so this guide worked beautifully for me as a 2:1star: school but now that I'm a 6:1star: prestige school and I'm going after lots of 4:1star: and 5:1star: recruits, I'm having trouble signing any. I'm in week 6 and most of my board is either soft-committed to another school or I'm significantly behind the top school. When I was lower prestige and targeting mostly 3:1star:s, I was batting 90%+. Now I can barely sign anyone. This is with recruiting difficulty at All-American.

Can anybody help diagnose my horrible recruiting problem I'm having? Here's a summary of my approach:

-Playing as Vanderbilt, 6:1star: prestige after winning NCG.

-Everybody started with me in their top 3(except one guy).

-All 4:1star: or 5:1star: prospects.

-About 1/3 of them are from pipeline states. (My pipeline states are TX, CA, GA, AL, TN, and a couple small states on the east coast).

-1 QB, 1 HB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 6 OL, 3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB.

-Spent 20-40 minutes on most recruits per week depending on where I was with them, 60 for a couple. Everyone got at least 10 per week.

-Only offered when in 1st place or significantly behind the 1st place school after several weeks(400+ points behind).

-Promised "winning record against rivals" and "good exposure" for each recruit.

-Asked interest level for everything I'm B+ or above at.

-Hard sold B+'s or above with a "high" interest or greater.

-Swayed interest on B+'s with "above average" interest or lower.

-Scheduled most of them for a solid win over Auburn(not a rival), which was the first available visit that wasn't a bye week. Made sure I offered all visitors before visit.

I'm stumped why I can't recruit worth a damn now! Any help would be appreciated.

psusnoop
12-27-2011, 07:40 AM
I've gone back and forth on this one but have recently had the most success when I narrow my board a little bit. I just started going back to only putting 12 players on my board. As someone commits I look around at someone else to target.

For me I've found that I'm able to really increase my gap between the opposing schools by giving each guy close to 60 minutes a week which in turns allows me to widen my board so that by week 6 I'm recruiting 15-20 players now. So as I get to the #1 spot and spent 60 on this guy for 2 or 3 weeks and notice that I'm sitting with a 700 point lead over second place for him I'll knock back his time slightly and add a prospect to take up what time I took from him. Over time as I get commits I do the same thing kind of like a rinse and repeat function get 1 add 1.

The other benefit is that I'll have a higher chance to get an instant commit or a x2 on a recruit when I only have 12 to go from.

morsdraconis
12-27-2011, 08:50 AM
I've gone back and forth on this one but have recently had the most success when I narrow my board a little bit. I just started going back to only putting 12 players on my board. As someone commits I look around at someone else to target.

For me I've found that I'm able to really increase my gap between the opposing schools by giving each guy close to 60 minutes a week which in turns allows me to widen my board so that by week 6 I'm recruiting 15-20 players now. So as I get to the #1 spot and spent 60 on this guy for 2 or 3 weeks and notice that I'm sitting with a 700 point lead over second place for him I'll knock back his time slightly and add a prospect to take up what time I took from him. Over time as I get commits I do the same thing kind of like a rinse and repeat function get 1 add 1.

The other benefit is that I'll have a higher chance to get an instant commit or a x2 on a recruit when I only have 12 to go from.

See, what's weird is, logically, since I know how this recruiting system works, having a big board should always be better because of the small amount of interest garnered by just having a recruit on your board to begin with. Sure, you lose out on the x2 bonuses, but, really, they aren't worth it in my eyes. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten it on someone that I was already killing my opposition on anyway.

In the end, I think it makes more sense to just go with a board of 20-25 players setup like this:

60 Minutes Group - 5 players that are must have players. These are the players that you REALLY want to get, but you're at the bottom of the top 10 on or you aren't even on their list to begin with. You give these guys 60 minutes every week unless there is no competition for them and you're leading by a large margin, in which case you replace them with other pipedream players (and push them down to either the 40 minute group or the 20 minute group) that are still at the top 10 schools stage (haven't narrowed it down any yet) and no school as shown any interest in them. You don't have to personally be in their top 10, they just need to have not narrowed it down any yet. These guys could also be replaced by pink diamond players with the hope that you can make up any ground that you may have lost to not knowing that they had any interest in you at the beginning of the season.
40 Minutes Group - 5 players that fill your needs the most. You give these guys 40 minutes every week, no matter what as these guys are the ones that are going to be the :1star:, :2star:, or :3star: guys that fill the needs and, therefore, depth of your team. These are the guys that are the foundation of your squad as they are the ones that will be redshirted and probably not start until their 3rd year on the team (RS Sophomore or Junior year). As with the 60 min group, if you start blowing out the competition, then these guys get pushed down to the 20 minutes group and you add someone else to either this group or do more rearranging by bringing someone down from the 60 minutes group to the 40 minutes group and add another to the 60 minute group.
20 Minutes Group - 5 players that either continue to fill your needs (if you require more than 5 players to fill the needs of your team) but are lower caliber than the 40 min group and therefore don't need as much attention or are guys that extend or keep held a pipeline for your recruiting purposes. These guys get just 20 minutes a week, but that's normally plenty enough for what they offer. If you start losing ground on someone in this group, don't be afraid to cut your losses and bring someone up from the extra 5-10 players on your board to replace them (and, of course, replace the extra spot on your board with someone else). It's likely that someone in your 16-25 range was a player on your top 15 to begin with so you aren't starting from complete scratch with them.
16-25 Group - These players are the ones that you are trying to keep interested enough in your program without them committing to somewhere else. When you have someone on your board, but you don't spend any points on them, you still get a small amount of points toward recruiting them because you have them on your board, showing, at least, a small amount of interest in them. These spots are for guys that you are trying to increase your pipeline range with (or keep it increased with depth players). These are the :1star: players (or maybe even :2star: or :3star: if you're a 6 prestige school) that either have interest in you or aren't being recruited (as most :1star: players aren't) but you want them for nothing but to either keep a pipeline you already have or to establish a new one to increase your range of influence. This group will get no time spent on them except for the automatic gain for having them on your board. They will be, most likely, the ones that you will pull up to your 20 min group if you lose someone in that group as, even if you aren't able to get a new pipeline in one year, you can always make a play to make it easier to get two the next year.

Then, with that setup, I only give scholarships to players that have me as a #1 (which I also spend 60 minutes on, no matter where they are located on my board - besides the 16-25, of course) on their list. Only time I give a scholarship to someone that isn't #1 already is when I schedule a visit as I'm trying to make the big push to get them to either instant commit on that visit or, at the very least, make me #1 on their list now.

I always make use of the promises. As many as I think I can fulfill with them. For example, if I'm a small school (1, 2, or 3 prestige school), I'm going to go all out with the promises to make them feel special (winning record against rivals, significant playing time, freshman all-american, etc) in the hopes that they'll lean toward me more than another school that isn't make those promises.

I, personally, don't recruit on Heisman, but I've heard that this method works extremely well on even cheating ass Heisman recruiting difficulty.

JeffHCross
12-31-2011, 01:25 PM

Ok so this guide worked beautifully for me as a :2star: school but now that I'm a 6:1star: prestige school and I'm going after lots of 4:1star: and 5:1star: recruits, I'm having trouble signing any.
Personally, there is little difference for me in recruiting at a :2star: school versus a :6star: school. I approach my board the same way, just the level of player I'm going after is different.

The only real "problem" I see in your approach is the 20-40 minutes. The only time my maximum was 40 minutes was when my board was pretty full. By Week 3, if I'm remembering correctly, I was usually giving my top guys 60 minutes.

Using my spreadsheet from NCAA 11 ... my maximum points in any normal week (meaning without x2s) was at least in the 400 range after week 1, and often in the high 400s or 500s.

The other thing to keep in mind is your "My School" pitches. Just because you're a 6-star school doesn't mean that some of your items (like "Program Stability", "Fanbase", "Pro Factory") are up to competitive levels against other 5-star or 6-programs. So it's possible that you may, simply, not be able to compete for the same level of recruits.

Also, you mentioned only looking at the B+ ratings. A Most, even with a C, can give you a decent point potential. It's just a game of math, unfortunately, and what a pitch really is isn't as important as what the point values you'll get for it. Maybe it would be good practice to load up another dynasty (where you don't care about messing up) and seeing what kind of point values you can get out of combinations like "Most -> B" or "Most -> C" or "Very High - C".

Finally, don't be afraid to dump guys. If you're 400+ points behind the leading school early in the season, and the schools you are behind are actively recruiting the kid, you're not likely to catch up, especially not without some help like x2s or the competition losing their scheduled visit. Now, if you come across a guy in Week 6 who you're -400 behind and it doesn't look like any CPU teams are recruiting him, that's a different story.

EDIT: Mors' post above about 60 minute group, etc, is very solid. It's close enough to my own strategy, which I know works.

Bohica1010
01-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Can someone tell me why there would be a difference in points for recruiting? I didn't notice this until just recently when I tried to recruit online as opposed to on the PS3 (wife wanted to finish her movie on the TV) that there was a difference in points. What I mean is, I have a soft commit from 2 different players where both of their bars appear to be filled, however one has 2996 points and the other has 3495 points. Both are 2 star recruits as well. Does everyone had the same point total to be recruited?

morsdraconis
01-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Can someone tell me why there would be a difference in points for recruiting? I didn't notice this until just recently when I tried to recruit online as opposed to on the PS3 (wife wanted to finish her movie on the TV) that there was a difference in points. What I mean is, I have a soft commit from 2 different players where both of their bars appear to be filled, however one has 2996 points and the other has 3495 points. Both are 2 star recruits as well. Does everyone had the same point total to be recruited?

As far as I know, there isn't a set number of points you need to get to get a recruit to sign with you. It's all based on how much they like you vs how much they like everyone else vs what difficulty of recruiting you're on. The total amount of points, in the end, that it takes to recruit someone is meaningless.

Bohica1010
01-18-2012, 12:07 PM
As far as I know, there isn't a set number of points you need to get to get a recruit to sign with you. It's all based on how much they like you vs how much they like everyone else vs what difficulty of recruiting you're on. The total amount of points, in the end, that it takes to recruit someone is meaningless.

So that would make sense on why even though the line is basically full, even if you throw an hour and 500 points at it, they still don't commit to you. That does bring me to another question of, if the bar is full, what are the thoughts on how much time to spend on someone like that? For example, you are 400 points ahead of the next team and they have soft committed to you and for 3 weeks you have thrown 40-50 minutes with no commit. How do you push them to commit?

morsdraconis
01-18-2012, 01:38 PM
So that would make sense on why even though the line is basically full, even if you throw an hour and 500 points at it, they still don't commit to you. That does bring me to another question of, if the bar is full, what are the thoughts on how much time to spend on someone like that? For example, you are 400 points ahead of the next team and they have soft committed to you and for 3 weeks you have thrown 40-50 minutes with no commit. How do you push them to commit?

You don't. You spend 20-30 minutes on them instead and ride it out. There's no surefire way to get them to commit to you. If you are ahead of a team by even 300 points, it's time to call off the dogs on that recruit unless there's a sudden jump in interest by the CPU for him.

illwill10
01-18-2012, 01:45 PM
You don't. You spend 20-30 minutes on them instead and ride it out. There's no surefire way to get them to commit to you. If you are ahead of a team by even 300 points, it's time to call off the dogs on that recruit unless there's a sudden jump in interest by the CPU for him.
Exactly what I do. Either when I am over 300 or the Bar is Green and at least 200 away, I stop calling them as much. I dont care about committing them, I dont want another team to come back. So, I focus on other players until I time comes under 400, then I worry.

illwill10
01-18-2012, 01:58 PM
My recruiting traditions are unless I am going after top players or players I REALLY want, I dont go after a guy if I am over 400 away from him. With the top/elite guys, I dont guy after them unless the #10 team on their list is under 400(maybe higher if I must have them). Because if the #10 team is way off, I know we are WAY OFF. I would have to have a 2X week for him and hope my good topics pop up, and hope that I can compare against them. Even though I recruits 1 star players from Florida so I can get Florida as a pipeline in 1st year as with a SEC team, I didnt use Florida at all and I cut the players I signed from there. Since this year I have only 1 need, I am going after best talent. I think I will have to sign someone from there or I lose Florida.

Bohica1010
01-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Another Question...

What is the thought on calling a player on the same week they are visiting? Does that do anything? Do you get the phone call points and the visit points?

JeffHCross
01-18-2012, 08:13 PM
As far as I know, there isn't a set number of points you need to get to get a recruit to sign with you.My understanding is that there is a set number of points, but it's different for every player. Probably set on creation. That's why you can have a huge lead and the player still won't sign, yet other times a player will sign with a 50 point lead or whatever.

What is the thought on calling a player on the same week they are visiting? Does that do anything? Do you get the phone call points and the visit points?There's really no absolute rule, a bunch of people follow different strategies with visit weeks. I usually don't differentiate between a visit week or regular week, and call him the same as I normally would, unless I'm really short on time and then I'll pull back 10 minutes here or there.

Bohica1010
01-18-2012, 11:07 PM
My understanding is that there is a set number of points, but it's different for every player. Probably set on creation. That's why you can have a huge lead and the player still won't sign, yet other times a player will sign with a 50 point lead or whatever.

There's really no absolute rule, a bunch of people follow different strategies with visit weeks. I usually don't differentiate between a visit week or regular week, and call him the same as I normally would, unless I'm really short on time and then I'll pull back 10 minutes here or there.

Thanks! You have been most helpful!

morsdraconis
01-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Same here Jeff. I normally call them anyway (especially since there is a really bad bug that I use to my advantage where if they are visiting that week and you actually get persued them to increase their interest in one of your categories, it'll bump up EVERYTHING by 2-3 spots basically netting you SEVERAL very high or most ratings to exploit).

illwill10
01-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Same here Jeff. I normally call them anyway (especially since there is a really bad bug that I use to my advantage where if they are visiting that week and you actually get persued them to increase their interest in one of your categories, it'll bump up EVERYTHING by 2-3 spots basically netting you SEVERAL very high or most ratings to exploit).
I didnt know anything about that. I will definitely use that.

baseballplyrmvp
01-19-2012, 12:07 AM
mors! now look what you did. http://www.myemoticons.com/images/emotions/angry/no.gif lol

illwill10
01-19-2012, 12:21 AM
mors! now look what you did. http://www.myemoticons.com/images/emotions/angry/no.gif lol
It is not like I am in a OD.

baseballplyrmvp
01-19-2012, 12:36 AM
well, then its ok.

illwill10
01-19-2012, 01:39 AM
well, then its ok.
I dont play online and I dont play against someone else.

JeffHCross
01-19-2012, 09:27 PM
it'll bump up EVERYTHING by 2-3 spots basically netting you SEVERAL very high or most ratings to exploit).Yeah ... I ... hate ... that ... bug. I mean, sure, it's worked to my advantage a couple times, but it can make visits utterly ridiculous.

morsdraconis
01-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Yeah ... I ... hate ... that ... bug. I mean, sure, it's worked to my advantage a couple times, but it can make visits utterly ridiculous.

It's definitely a REALLY bad bug for ODs (but, I'm pretty sure, it doesn't actually work in ODs, though I could be wrong).

I really only use it to be a dick to the CPU's cheating ass. Truthfully, as much as I hate the current recruiting system, I really just did it to make up for me not being incredibly meticulous during other aspects of the recruiting phase.

JeffHCross
01-20-2012, 11:01 PM
It's definitely a REALLY bad bug for ODs (but, I'm pretty sure, it doesn't actually work in ODs, though I could be wrong).I recall doing some OD-based testing on it, and I think we generally concluded that it didn't work in ODs ... except I'm not sure about the commissioner. What may have been concluded is that it only worked for the commish.

If my Resurrection dynasty ever gets, well, resurrected, I may have to use it just to claw my way back up to respectability.

baseballplyrmvp
01-21-2012, 01:50 PM
is there any penalty for having a large number of recruits visiting on a certain week? i know there's some penalty for having multiple recruits at the same position visiting, but what if you had like 10 guys, who all play a different position?

morsdraconis
01-21-2012, 03:12 PM
I think it's all speculation on the penality for multiple recruits even of the same position. The only penalty that I see is the playing time pitch being lower because of it. Otherwise, I've seen nothing that points to any other penalties.

JeffHCross
01-21-2012, 03:43 PM
I know there's actually a physical limit on how many players you can invite at once, I actually hit it once. But other than that, I've never seen a downside to a large number of invites.

Bohica1010
01-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Can someone tell me if the Pink Gem is something that shows only on week 1? Does it show in the same place you would see the Target Icon behind the players image? Is there always a Pink Gem?

JeffHCross
01-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Each week, you get a recruiting "bonus". This bonus is one of the following:
x2 on 3 players
Pitches unlocked on 3 players (unlocks two pitches per player)
Instant Commitment upon calling one player, can only happen on players that you're #1 and have previously offered scholarship
Pink Gem / Diamond, which will only be seen on 4* or 5* players that are not on your board

It's shown in the same place as the Target/Unlock/x2 icons.

Bohica1010
01-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Each week, you get a recruiting "bonus". This bonus is one of the following:
x2 on 3 players
Pitches unlocked on 3 players (unlocks two pitches per player)
Instant Commitment upon calling one player, can only happen on players that you're #1 and have previously offered scholarship
Pink Gem / Diamond, which will only be seen on 4* or 5* players that are not on your board

It's shown in the same place as the Target/Unlock/x2 icons.

Great thanks! I haven't seen one yet. But I have already started to look at the lists of players every week to see if anything changed from week to week instead of just working the people on my list to start and then going back if I needed to add.

JeffHCross
01-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Great thanks! I haven't seen one yet.It's only worth looking if you don't have an x2 or Pitch Unlock. Then it's obvious you'll either get an Instant or Pink Gem/Diamond.

morsdraconis
01-25-2012, 07:21 AM
It's only worth looking if you don't have an x2 or Pitch Unlock. Then it's obvious you'll either get an Instant or Pink Gem/Diamond.

Wait. You mean to say, that every week, at least ONE of those will happen? Interesting. That is definitely something I never noticed before.

SmoothPancakes
01-25-2012, 07:23 AM
Wait. You mean to say, that every week, at least ONE of those will happen? Interesting. That is definitely something I never noticed before.

That's been my experience. One week I had three players with X2, then the next week I came across three players with the Pitch Unlock, had a Instant Commit two or three weeks, rinse, wash, repeat. The X2 really help at the end of the season with a couple recruits I'm still trying to get to commit to me.

JeffHCross
01-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Wait. You mean to say, that every week, at least ONE of those will happen? Interesting. That is definitely something I never noticed before.Yes, without fail.

Well, there's one caveat ... that was true on NCAA 11 (and NCAA 10 before it), and I presume it's true on NCAA 12, but have not done any research to validate.

SmoothPancakes
01-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Yes, without fail.

Well, there's one caveat ... that was true on NCAA 11 (and NCAA 10 before it), and I presume it's true on NCAA 12, but have not done any research to validate.

Which is?

That post is like a cliffhanger in a book. :D

JeffHCross
01-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Which is?The caveat is what I said, lol. There's no cliffhanger. The caveat is that I'm saying it's there, without fail, but I can't actually vouch for NCAA 12.

SmoothPancakes
01-25-2012, 10:12 PM
The caveat is what I said, lol. There's no cliffhanger. The caveat is that I'm saying it's there, without fail, but I can't actually vouch for NCAA 12.

Whoops, misread that post then. :D Yeah, it's true in NCAA 12. Every single week I have at least something. I had 4 different weeks with the instant commit, and then the rest of the season and off-season were either X2 or Unlock Pitches.

JeffHCross
01-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Whoops, misread that post then. :D Yeah, it's true in NCAA 12. Every single week I have at least something. I had 4 different weeks with the instant commit, and then the rest of the season and off-season were either X2 or Unlock Pitches.Hmm, that's interesting. No Pink Diamonds? My last OD season on NCAA 11 had a ton of diamonds.

SmoothPancakes
01-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. No Pink Diamonds? My last OD season on NCAA 11 had a ton of diamonds.

I think I had a pink diamond in week 1, and one a couple weeks later, but that was it. Hardly had any pink diamonds last season.

baseballplyrmvp
01-26-2012, 10:50 PM
i know the pink diamond is completely random, but its getting progressively more and more worthless the later into your dynasty you get. it keeps appearing on recruits who are like 1 or 2 weeks away from committing to another school (green bar is nearly full for that school). hardly ever does it appear on a recruit who isnt getting any interest from his top schools.

JeffHCross
01-26-2012, 10:51 PM
I think I had a pink diamond in week 1, and one a couple weeks later, but that was it. Hardly had any pink diamonds last season.Well, it is definitely hit and miss. I've had some seasons with hardly any, others with a ton. Part of it is how quickly your board thins out ... if you're not in a position to get an Instant, or need Pitch Unlocks (like if most of your board has the majority of their pitches unlocked), then you're basically 50/50 on Diamond vs X2. I actually think X2 is the rarer one in that case, for some reason.

hardly ever does it appear on a recruit who isnt getting any interest from his top schools.Agreed. The Pink Diamond is not helpful the VAST majority of times I get it.

SmoothPancakes
01-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Well, it is definitely hit and miss. I've had some seasons with hardly any, others with a ton. Part of it is how quickly your board thins out ... if you're not in a position to get an Instant, or need Pitch Unlocks (like if most of your board has the majority of their pitches unlocked), then you're basically 50/50 on Diamond vs X2. I actually think X2 is the rarer one in that case, for some reason.
Agreed. The Pink Diamond is not helpful the VAST majority of times I get it.

Yeah, that's been my experience as well. Now, in season 3 of my FIU dynasty, I will say that I again already have a pink diamond in week 1, a 4 star DT out of New Jersey. While I'm only lagging 340 points behind 1st, it's probably going to be a waste of time, seeing as I'm only 8th on his list after adding him to my board, and I have Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Oklahoma, Pittsburgh, Penn State and Maryland all ahead of me.

Bohica1010
02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Can anyone share their thoughts on visits on bye weeks? I know that the general consensus is to have the recruit come for their visit as soon as possible, but does that include bye weeks? Or would you wait until the next week after that you had a home game and they were available come? Does having a game that weekend help?

baseballplyrmvp
02-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Can anyone share their thoughts on visits on bye weeks? I know that the general consensus is to have the recruit come for their visit as soon as possible, but does that include bye weeks? Or would you wait until the next week after that you had a home game and they were available come? Does having a game that weekend help?always schedule visits for a week with a game....always.

on bye weeks, you're lucky to get a C+ rating, even with all Mosts.

JeffHCross
02-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Can anyone share their thoughts on visits on bye weeks? I know that the general consensus is to have the recruit come for their visit as soon as possible, but does that include bye weeks? Or would you wait until the next week after that you had a home game and they were available come? Does having a game that weekend help?Rivalry Game > Regular Game > Bye Week. No matter what. The only reason to schedule a Bye Week is when it's the end of the season and you have no other home games.

gschwendt
02-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Rivalry Game > Regular Game > Bye Week. No matter what. The only reason to schedule a Bye Week is when it's the end of the season and you have no other home games.
Actually it should be:
Rivalry Game > Ranked Opponent > Conference Game > Regular Game > Bye Week

Your best opportunity is a ranked rivalry conference game.

JeffHCross
02-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Actually it should be:
Rivalry Game > Ranked Opponent > Conference Game > Regular Game > Bye WeekYou're giving away the secrets!!!!!

I knew the list was a lot longer, I was just primarily making the point of Regular Game > Bye Week. :)

Bohica1010
02-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Don't worry, I had to make the choice before everyone responded since the OD needed to be advanced. Sadly I ate a bunch of D+s! The secret was safe for the moment!

But with the list as it is:

Rivalry Game > Ranked Opponent > Conference Game > Regular Game > Bye Week

kind of negates the as soon as possible thought process. I get not picking the bye, lesson learned! However if I can do a conference game next week or the rivalry 2 weeks after that (conf, another game and then rivalry), which would you pick?

SmoothPancakes
02-09-2012, 02:45 PM
For me, it'd depend on when the other schools recruiting the guy are scheduling visits. If there's a guy me and another team or two are going after, we're all in the green and are all within a couple hundred points of each other, if I have a conference game in week 9 and a rivalry game in week 12, but Team A has a visit scheduled with the recruit in week 10 and Team B has a visit scheduled in week 11, I'm going with the regular conference game in week 9 in an attempt to not only pick up a large, substantial gain from the visit, but also try and maybe get lucky with a commitment after that week.

I'd rather try and build up my points advantage and maybe get lucky and get a commit in week 9, than wait until week 12 and risk either having the other teams pass me, or even having everything go to hell and the guy soft or hard commit to one of the other teams.

JeffHCross
02-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Along the same lines as what Smooth said, what I do for my selection is first I decide when I need to have a visit done by. If I'm competing with a lot of teams and I think the player is going to sign quickly, it's going to be early. If I can afford to slow play, it's going to be late. But within that window, I'm going to pick the best game available.

In other words, especially after NCAA 11 took away the ability to change Visit dates, I would never bring a prospect in for a rivalry game unless I was very confident that he won't make his decision before then. If it's a hot prospect that has a lot of competition, I'll often pick the earliest conference game.

There's more to the list than G posted (so there are still some secrets ;)), but the big thing to keep in mind is that while his list is accurate, the difference between a Rivalry game and even a Conference game is minimal. The big differences aren't until you get into Out of Conference and Bye Week visits.

SmoothPancakes
02-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Along the same lines as what Smooth said, what I do for my selection is first I decide when I need to have a visit done by. If I'm competing with a lot of teams and I think the player is going to sign quickly, it's going to be early. If I can afford to slow play, it's going to be late. But within that window, I'm going to pick the best game available.

In other words, especially after NCAA 11 took away the ability to change Visit dates, I would never bring a prospect in for a rivalry game unless I was very confident that he won't make his decision before then. If it's a hot prospect that has a lot of competition, I'll often pick the earliest conference game.

There's more to the list than G posted (so there are still some secrets ;)), but the big thing to keep in mind is that while his list is accurate, the difference between a Rivalry game and even a Conference game is minimal. The big differences aren't until you get into Out of Conference and Bye Week visits.

One thing that sort of jumps out to me as far as G's list, would be for Out of Conference games, to me it seems like it's something that would be obvious, as an example, a 6-2 opponent would be better than a 2-6 opponent when having a recruit visit. Basically, when you have Out of Conference games, records, at least to some extent, would matter, with you wanting to invite recruits to games against Out of Conference opponents with a better record than to games against opponents with a losing record.

JeffHCross
02-09-2012, 09:58 PM
It would be logical, but AFAIK, if they're not ranked, it doesn't make a difference.

SmoothPancakes
02-09-2012, 10:48 PM
It would be logical, but AFAIK, if they're not ranked, it doesn't make a difference.

Ah, alright. Yeah, that was one thing that immediately came to mind, was that it seemed like it would be better to have recruits visit against a 6-2 or other similarly good record OOC opponent than against a 2-6 or whatever poor record OOC opponent. If the NCAA team haven't really made the system to go that in-depth when it comes having recruits visit on certain games, alright, but maybe something they could think about in the future, as it would further make certain games better to have recruits visit than others.

JeffHCross
02-10-2012, 07:36 PM
If the NCAA team haven't really made the system to go that in-depth when it comes having recruits visit on certain games, alright, but maybe something they could think about in the future, as it would further make certain games better to have recruits visit than others.True, but let's think about it for a second. As I said above, the differentiation between Rivalry and Conference games is pretty low. While a "normal" game is below those, it's still not that far below. So would differentiating between a "good" non-conference opponent and a "bad" one really make a huge difference? Probably not. Maybe not even a letter grade. For the sake of realism, sure, it would be nice. But perhaps unnecessary.

SmoothPancakes
02-10-2012, 07:38 PM
True, but let's think about it for a second. As I said above, the differentiation between Rivalry and Conference games is pretty low. While a "normal" game is below those, it's still not that far below. So would differentiating between a "good" non-conference opponent and a "bad" one really make a huge difference? Probably not. Maybe not even a letter grade. For the sake of realism, sure, it would be nice. But perhaps unnecessary.

Very valid points.