06-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Just saw this on ESPN.. Their punishment is:

Forfeiture of wins from 2004 season
Scholarship reduction
2 Year Post-Season Ban

Thoughts?!?

cdj
06-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Their AD Mike Garrett is probably going to be fired very soon. You can't have "lack of institutional control" and still keep a job.

Coachdenz
06-10-2010, 02:50 PM
and USC goes Boom! 30 Scholarship reduction is what some are claiming if so, that's going to be very tuff to overcome, I don't care who you are, you can still sign 15 good players, but have no backups. and also a scholarship limit of 75 (also just what I heard)\

I agree CDJ on the AD he's a goner!

cdj
06-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Some rumors that Jr/Sr players can be granted a release, but not sure if it's true and I'm sure USC would make that tough.

Coachdenz
06-10-2010, 03:54 PM
THey could when bama got hammered a few years ago. Thing is none left bama cause coach Fran at the time talked them all into staying then he bolted.

Rudy
06-10-2010, 04:35 PM
USC deserves this. When players are running around in BMWs and getting all kinds of crap, the coaches have to know. Bobby Knight said a coach knows about everything that goes on. He said he had to make a few calls to boosters now and then when he heard they contacted a kid or their parents. He told them if they did it again they wouldn't be allowed in the stadium again. USC coaches turned a blind eye to everything.

iBrandon
06-10-2010, 04:53 PM
LOL@ USC. I really wonder what Lane Kiffin is thinking?

Deuce
06-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Does this mean OU is the 2004 National Champion!?? :D:D:D

morsdraconis
06-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Does this mean OU is the 2004 National Champion!?? :D:D:D

No, it would mean there would be no National Champion.

Deuce
06-10-2010, 09:27 PM
No, it would mean there would be no National Champion.

I was joking...mostly. I don't think any OU fan would want a NC that way anyway.

morsdraconis
06-10-2010, 09:40 PM
I was joking...mostly. I don't think any OU fan would want a NC that way anyway.

Heh. I figured but the NCAA did come out and say that if it was vacated (which is almost certainly will be) they'd just not have a National Champion for that year.

Deuce
06-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Tommy Tuberville's 2004 Auburn football team was never given an opportunity to play Southern California for the national championship.

Now that the NCAA has ruled that the Trojans will have to vacate their 55-19 victory over Oklahoma in the 2005 Orange Bowl because star running back Reggie Bush was ineligible, Tuberville says the Tigers should be named national champions.

"We never complained when they went by the process the last time, and they should go by the process this time," said Tuberville, who is now head coach at Texas Tech. "If they were ineligible, I think they should have a revote and let people vote on it and decide who they think was the best team that year. If everybody thinks it was Oklahoma, that's fine. If everybody thinks it was Auburn, that's fine."

The Tigers finished 13-0 in 2004 but finished No. 2 in the country after defeating Virginia Tech 16-13 in the Sugar Bowl.

Bill Hancock, the chairman of the BCS, said Thursday that if the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee rules that the Trojans should vacate their '04 national championship, there would be no BCS champion for that particular season. Hancock said the BCS would take no action until after USC's appeal to the NCAA is finalized.

[+] Enlarge
Doug Keese/US Presswire
This could be national champion Tommy Tuberville if a BCS revote goes Auburn's way.
"We take the integrity of NCAA rules seriously," Hancock said in a statement. "The POC will meet shortly to discuss this matter. In light of USC's statement that it intends to appeal, we want to make it clear that no action will go into effect until the appeal is heard and decided by the NCAA."

After the regular season, USC was No. 1 and Oklahoma No. 2 in the BCS standings. The Tigers were No. 3, and they became the first SEC team to finish 12-0 and not play for a national championship.

Auburn, which defeated Tennessee 38-28 in the '04 SEC championship game, was led by quarterback Jason Campbell and three future NFL Pro Bowlers: offensive tackle Marcus McNeill, running back Ronnie Brown and defensive tackle Jay Ratliff.

"That was the best football team I've been on, and I coached on three teams that won national championships," Tuberville said. "All you have to do is look at the kids playing in the NFL and how well they've done. That team beat five top-10 opponents that year. We just started the season too low. We started the season ranked [No. 18] in the country and kept climbing."

Tuberville, who was forced out as Auburn's coach after the 2008 season, would have been owed a $300,000 bonus for winning a national championship.

The NCAA ordered USC to vacate its bowl victory during the 2004 season and any games in which Bush played in 2005.

Bush ran six times for 75 yards and caught two passes for 31 yards against Oklahoma in the '05 Orange Bowl. At the time, the Trojans became the first team to repeat as AP national champions since Nebraska in 1994-95 and the first since Florida State in '99 to go wire-to-wire as the No. 1 team in the AP Top 25 poll.

AustinWolv
06-13-2010, 04:28 AM
Their AD Mike Garrett is probably going to be fired very soon. You can't have "lack of institutional control" and still keep a job.
Just got back into town and catching up on all the news for this and the conference shifts in the works. Did you happen to see Garrett's comments? Talk about an idiot:

USC athletic director Mike Garrett, speaking at a previously scheduled USC Coaches' Tour at the Airport Marriott in Burlingame, Calif., had this to say to boosters: "As I read the decision by the NCAA, all I could get out of all of this was ... I read between the lines, and there was nothing but a lot of envy, and they wish they all were Trojans (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5272615)."