PDA

View Full Version : SPARQ [NIKE] Rating National Championship

Pig Bomb
07-07-2011, 08:02 PM
It's on right now ESPN-U.... for guys that dojn't know what SPARQ is all about check it out. Since it's in NCAA 12 it will give you an idea of what is and how they test football players.

Nike Football is putting on the king of all events July 5th-9th. The Opening will bring 150 of the nation's best high school football prospects together for a chance at greatness and notoriety. When the dust settles, there will be one squad left standing in the Nike 7ON tournament, a new top dog in the Nike Lineman challenge and an undisputed number one in the SPARQ Rating National Championship. Add in Nike's world-class training staff and a list of the best professional football players in the game, and you've got the biggest high school football event of the summer. Stay tuned for more info on The Opening in the run-up to the event.

The biggest high school football event of the year, The Opening, is finally underway at Nike World Headquarters in Beaverton, OR. This week, the best high school football players in the country will compete and train with some of the most talented athletes and trainers on the planet. At the end of this week, there will be one squad left standing in the Nike 7ON tournament, a new top dog in the Nike Lineman Challenge and an undisputed number one in the SPARQ Rating National Championship. Follow all the action, as it unfolds, at: http://nikefootball.com/theopening

Landon Collins runs wild

The four-star safety wins the SPARQ ratings national championship

BEAVERTON, Ore -- The winner wasn't the only story.

Landon Collins walked off with the SPARQ ratings national championship trophy on Wednesday night at The Opening at Nike World Headquarters. He certainly deserved it, especially after the 6-foot, 210-pound safety turned in a clutch 4.42-second 40-yard dash on the night's final test.

Tom Hauck for ESPN.comLandon Collins not only ran a fast 40, but showed explosiveness with the vertical jump.
"That was the time I needed," the four-star standout from Geismar (La.) Dutchtown said.

During interviews after the event, Collins, who is No. 51 in the ESPNU 150 and the No. 4 safety in the nation, was proud and surprised.

"My performance was great," he said. "I did more than I thought I could do coming in."

Collins admittedly didn't think he could win the SPARQ finals amidst the 10-man competition, one of whom was a rising junior: running back Altee Tenpenny from North Little Rock (Ark.) High School.

Tenpenny, who has scholarship offers from Arkansas and Mississippi, was certainly the crowd favorite. Tenpenny took to the vertical jump, the shuttle run, the weighted ball throw and the 40-yard dash with a strong ovation every time.

"He's real likable," finals contestant Corey Coleman said of Tenpenny. "He's really funny, a really good guy. He's going to do really big things. ... He's really talented."

Tenpenny could certainly elevate his recruiting status with his strong showing this week. Yet he's not being impatient with perspective colleges.

"I'm just thankful for the two offers I have," he said. "I'm just sitting back chilling. I'll wait my turn."

Don't expect Tenpenny to just be chilling next year if he's invited to The Opening in 2012.

"It's a great experience," he said. "Hopefully I can come back next year and win that trophy."

texacotea
07-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the heads up, love skills competitions

OMRebel
07-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Tenpenny is gonna be a big boost to our roster in 2 years ;)

Seriously though, that competition was legit. Those kids are freaks.

AustinWolv
07-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Some serious recruiting going on there.

osufan4life
07-08-2011, 09:34 AM
The replay is on tonight (ESPNU) and part 2 which I assume is the 7 on 7 game and or the lineman challenge.