PDA

View Full Version : (CFL) Canadian Football League 2011 Season

jaymo76
06-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Being one of the few token Canadians on our fine site, I felt the need to create a CFL 2011 thread. All games are broadcast on TSN in Canada and the NFL network and ESPN 3 in the USA. Here is the link to the CFL website for those of you who want to see a different (and the original might I ad) take on football and learn all the rules, see stats, highlights, etc.

http://cfl.ca/

If you have never seen a CFL game, I will sum it up for you using the CFL's slogan back in the 1990's... "LONGER, WIDER, FASTER." Aka the field is longer 110 yards (55yards is centre); the endzones are 20 yards deep and the goal posts are at the BEGINNING of the endzone; the field is 65 yards wide; overtime is identical to US college football; the playclock is only 20 seconds per play; you get a single for a missed field goal if the ball isn't returned out of the endzone; there is no fair catch but you must give five yards before engaging in a tackle; there are 12 players on each side of the ball; TE/FB positions aren't used much anymore as most formations are now 5 receiver sets; AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, THERE ARE ONLY THREE DOWNS. Here is a link to the full rule book.

http://cfl.ca/page/game_rule_rule1

To me the CFL is very much like a hybrid of NCAA and NFL. Most people either love the CFL or hate it. I have always been a huge fan and always will be.

The season officially kicks off on June 30th (4:30pm est) with the BC Lions at the Montreal Alouettes (last years defending Grey Cup champions).

JBHuskers
06-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Being one of the few token Canadians on our fine site, I felt the need to create a CFL 2011 thread. All games are broadcast on TSN in Canada and the NFL network and ESPN 3 in the USA. Here is the link to the CFL website for those of you who want to see a different (and the original might I ad) take on football and learn all the rules, see stats, highlights, etc.

http://cfl.ca/

If you have never seen a CFL game, I will sum it up for you using the CFL's slogan back in the 1990's... "LONGER, WIDER, FASTER." Aka the field is longer 110 yards (55yards is centre); the endzones are 20 yards deep and the goal posts are at the BEGINNING of the endzone; the field is 65 yards wide; overtime is identical to US college football; the playclock is only 20 seconds per play; you get a single for a missed field goal if the ball isn't returned out of the endzone; there is no fair catch but you must give five yards before engaging in a tackle; there are 12 players on each side of the ball; TE/FB positions aren't used much anymore as most formations are now 5 receiver sets; AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, THERE ARE ONLY THREE DOWNS. Here is a link to the full rule book.

http://cfl.ca/page/game_rule_rule1

To me the CFL is very much like a hybrid of NCAA and NFL. Most people either love the CFL or hate it. I have always been a huge fan and always will be.

The season officially kicks off on June 30th (4:30pm est) with the BC Lions at the Montreal Alouettes (last years defending Grey Cup champions).

Boner pills have the same slogan.

SmoothPancakes
06-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Boner pills have the same slogan.

Ahh, that reminds me of one of my aliases that I use from time to time on the interwebs. Napoleon Bonerpills. :D

ram29jackson
06-27-2011, 09:42 PM
the rules seem to take away from a possible good running game...and with wider end zones you dont have to be that good to score. Warren Moon made a joke of the league and the NFL didnt wise up about him soon enough.

but at least another country has televised football so you dont have to watch collegiate checkers or something haha

steelerfan
06-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Ahh, that reminds me of one of my aliases that I use from time to time on the interwebs. Napoleon Bonerpills. :D

http://www.pimper.org/graphics/glitter/animated/PedoAlert.gif

jaymo76
06-28-2011, 01:11 AM
With the opening game only a few days away I attached a clip of last year's season opener. Honestly, this is the best season opener I have ever seen. Yeah, the offense was out of control but what a game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqn-Uj9yPtE

ram29jackson
06-30-2011, 04:08 AM
13 guys on the field :fp:

jaymo76
07-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Decent start to the CFL 2011 season last night. My BC Lions dropped a close one 30-26 to Montreal. Being down 24-3 at one point, the Lions D was a lot better in the second half. However, I still have to question the coaching decision to kick a field goal on 3rd and 5 with 1:20 to go while on Montreal's 35.

jaymo76
07-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Next up today we have the CANADA DAY KICKOFF doubleheader... Winnipeg at Hamilton and then Toronto at Calgary.

Boucher
07-01-2011, 11:54 AM
goo boatmen

baseballplyrmvp
07-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Decent start to the CFL 2011 season last night. My BC Lions dropped a close one 30-26 to Montreal. Being down 24-3 at one point, the Lions D was a lot better in the second half. However, I still have to question the coaching decision to kick a field goal on 3rd and 5 with 1:20 to go while on Montreal's 35.

solomon eliminian and adam leonard :up:

jaymo76
07-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Toronto upsets Calgary 23-21. What a great finish. With 17 seconds left, TO hit a 42 yard field goal to seal the victory. Calgary lost a lot of depth on D this year. It will be interesting to see how they rebound. In the other game, Winnipeg surprised Hamilton 24-16. This was a sloppy game with a copule of massive hits.

I'm looking forward to Saskatchewan and Edmonton up next.

jaymo76
07-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Lions lose another close one. Missed a 57 yard fied goal with no time left. Tough way to lose 34-32 but they just didn't play well enough in the first half. In other news, Edmonton continues to shock... they are now 2-0. Surprisingly and not in a good way, Saskatchewan and hamilton are both 0-2. Bring on week three.

ram29jackson
07-10-2011, 11:12 PM
one thing I noticed from yesterdays game....its either lack of money or creativity ..but their uniforms arent very creative or even classic or well thought out at all...and the Eskimos helmet logo was a lighter green than the jersey.

..just my creative input haha

jaymo76
07-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Congrats to Anthony Calvillo for breaking the all-time TD passing record yesterday. Amazing work. Next up... the all-time passing yardage record...

jaymo76
07-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Damn you BC Lions!!! Off to an 0-5 start after looking freaking amazing in exhibition season. Winnipeg's D line embarrased the Lions O-line... shameful :(

jaymo76
09-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Absolutely awesome. The Edmonton Eskimos took out an add at the Calgary Stampeders stadium and posted a pic that is sure to incite a riot. Awesome and gutsy all at the same time!

http://cfl.ca/article/billboard-at-mcmahon-fires-up-battle-of-alberta

This is the best rivalry in the CFL and this makes it only that much better.

ram29jackson
06-30-2012, 04:23 AM
this just happened on Friday ?

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/06/30/geroy-simon-sets-cfl-record-as-lions-beat-blue-bombers/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq_TWecdVzw&feature=g-all-u

VANCOUVER _ Geroy Simon became the CFL’s all-time receiving leader on Friday and helped the B.C. Lions open the season with a 33-16 victory over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Simon entered the history books with a dramatic 56-yard reception 4:57 into the fourth quarter. Simon was all alone as he hauled in a pass from quarterback Travis Lulay along the sidelines and brought the ball to the Winnipeg 23-yard line.

Seconds afterwards, Simon was hugged by his 18-year-old son Gervon, who travelled from their hometown of Johnstown, Pa., to witness the event.

Simon bettered the mark of 15,153 held by retired Blue Bomber great Milt Stegall, now a TV broadcaster, who was on hand for the game.

He finished the game with 105 receiving yards on five receptions. Simon’s career receiving total is now at 15,192.

Related

Ticats have no defence against Roughriders

The game was briefly stopped so Simon could be honoured in an on-field ceremony that included CFL commissioner Mark Cohon, Lions general manager Wally Buono and Stegall.

“Congratulations,” said Buono. “I know you’ve got a lot more left in you, by the way.”

Simon’s catch set up a 25-yard field goal that gave the Lions a 26-10 lead.

Shortly afterwards, the Lions had an apparent fumble recovery and return for a touchdown by Williams overturned by a replay review. The officials ruled Bloi-dei Dorzon did not have possession of the ball while being hit hard by B.C. linebacker James Yurichuk.

But, a short time later, Yurichuk intercepted a pass deep in Winnipeg territory to set the stage for Lulay’s eight-yard touchdown pass to Arland Bruce.

Winnipeg backup quarterback Alex Brink finally got the Bombers into the end zone in the game’s final minute as he connected with Chris Matthews on a five-yard touchdown pass. The two-point convert was unsuccessful.

The Bombers had an apparent on-side kick touchdown return by Brandon Stewart nullified by a penalty. Referees ruled it was touched illegally.

Lulay ran for two touchdowns and threw for another as B.C. handled the Bombers from start to finish.

Lulay, the CFL’s most outstanding player in 2011, picked up where he left off last season, completing 17 of 25 passes for 233 yards and gained another 44 on the ground.

The defending champions faced little difficulty as they led the 2011 Grey Cup rematch from start to finish.

Paul McCallum accounted for the rest of the Lions’ scoring as he kicked four field goals and two converts.

Brink threw a pair of touchdown passes as he completed 14 of 26 attempts after starter Buck Pierce went down for an injury in the second quarter. A Justin Palardy field goal was the only other offence that the injury-riddled Bombers could muster.

The Bombers managed little offensively for the first 12 minutes. Their troubles were accentuated as B.C. defensive linemen Keron Williams and Eric Taylor recorded back-to-back sacks on Pierce.

Lulay put the Lions on the scoreboard with a five-yard touchdown run 7:22 into the game. He squeezed himself between the goal-line and the sideline to cap a nine-play, 91-yard drive.

A Winnipeg fake punt, on a direct snap to Brandon Stewart, led to a Palardy 33-yard field goal about six minutes later. But the Bombers could do little else the first 30 minutes.

McCallum booted field goals from 32 and 25 yards to put the Lions up 13-3 in the second quarter. Shortly before half-time, Winnipeg lost Pierce as he left the game favouring his right knee.

Pierce departed one play after being sacked by Williams for the second time. Altogether, the Lions recorded four sacks in the first half.

The oft-injured Pierce, who was released by the Lions following the 2010 season because of his trouble staying healthy, managed only three completions on nine attempts for 11 yards.

While B.C. fans kept their eye on the scoreboard, they also paid close attention to Simon as he tried to take over the all-time CFL receiving yardage record.

Simon entered the game needing only 67 yards become No. 1 in the 100-year existence of the CFL. He caught four passes in the first half for 49 yards. All of his catches resulted in B.C. first downs.

The first reception was only for five yards, but it set up Lulay’s touchdown.

The Blue Bombers found some success with Brink in the third quarter as he guided them on a seven-play, 47-yard scoring drive that culminated with a 14-yard Terence Edwards touchdown reception. Edwards jumped in front of Lions defensive back Ryan Phillips to make the catch in the middle of the end zone.

McCallum’s third field goal of the game, from 36 yards out, put the Lions ahead 16-10 at 8:55 of the third quarter.

Early in the fourth quarter, Tim Brown romped 59 yards on a punt return and the Lions gained 15 more after Dustin Doe was penalized for bringing him down with a horse-collar tackle. Three plays later, Lulay ran into the end zone from seven yards out to stake the Lions to a 23-10 advantage.

ram29jackson
06-30-2012, 04:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXtKi5bC48Y

jaymo76
07-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I have watched Geroy his entire career. He actually lives about 20 blocks away from me. The guy is a class act and an AMAZING receiver! I could easily see him play for another four seasons and eclipse 20,000 yards receiving.

ram29jackson
07-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I have watched Geroy his entire career. He actually lives about 20 blocks away from me. The guy is a class act and an AMAZING receiver! I could easily see him play for another four seasons and eclipse 20,000 yards receiving.

its an extreme example but I believe this means he could have played in the NFL...as long as got rid of that stupid endzone pose :D

and the greatest CFL QB comes from La Puente/Los Angeles !! LOL

JeffHCross
07-04-2012, 02:11 PM
From the Montreal Gazette (http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2012/06/27/als-sign-garcia/):

The process of ultimately finding Anthony Calvillo's successor - whenever that day comes - continues for the Alouettes. On Wednesday, the team signed a fourth quarterback, Stephen Garcia, immediately placing him on the one-game injured list.

Garcia injured two fingers getting off the bus and flashing the peace sign, according to the organization.
:D :D :D :D :D

Kingpin32
07-04-2012, 02:16 PM
:fp:

SmoothPancakes
07-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Seriously? :fp:

jaymo76
07-04-2012, 11:36 PM
From the Montreal Gazette (http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2012/06/27/als-sign-garcia/):

:D :D :D :D :D

Haha! That's classic. Well maybe he was trying to be billingual and the translation was just too complex? Really, that is just bizarre. I mean how does that even happen???

baseballplyrmvp
10-05-2012, 10:04 PM
watching hamilton vs edmonton right now, and the canadian rules have me intrigued. i think it'd be really fun to have a cfl game or option in madden/arena football.