PDA

View Full Version : Child of Eden (sucessor to Rez)

morsdraconis
06-23-2011, 12:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O0FlbiJ8HI

JBHuskers
06-23-2011, 01:06 AM
Everyone is raving about this game....might have to check it out.

morsdraconis
06-23-2011, 09:29 AM
It's pretty epic. I played the first "level" last night and was enjoying myself quite a bit. It's basically Rez on steroids.

JBHuskers
06-23-2011, 09:45 AM
What is the main premise of the gameplay?

morsdraconis
06-23-2011, 10:40 AM
What is the main premise of the gameplay?

If you've never played Rez, it's basically a music based game where what you do changes the music (or goes along with). The premise is you have a target reticule on the screen and you use it to target objects as you fly through 3D space that loosely represents things (usually tunnel like objects and such). You target objects until you decide to let go of the button and then you shoot them all down with lasers. The objective of the game is to get as many perfect combos as you can (by targeting as many things as you can and destroying everything on the screen before they fly by and aren't destroyable anymore) and to just experience the game. It's a Kinect game that can also be played with just a controller.

It's made by the same guy (Tetsuya Mizuguchi) that did Lumines 1 & 2, Rez, Space Channel 5, and Ninety Nine Nights.

JBHuskers
06-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Looks interesting....I'm never going to own a Kinect, but may try this when the price goes down.

morsdraconis
06-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Game is actually pretty damn hard too. I died on level 2...

JeffHCross
06-23-2011, 10:13 PM
I loved, loved, loved Rez. Definitely thinking about picking this one up, even though Rez was actually ridiculously difficult.

morsdraconis
06-23-2011, 10:49 PM
I loved, loved, loved Rez. Definitely thinking about picking this one up, even though Rez was actually ridiculously difficult.

It's definitely harder than Rez. More stuff on the screen at once and switching between targeting stuff with the reticule and shooting only purple stuff with the alternate firing mode is very tough to get a grip on when there's so much stuff on the screen at once.

JBHuskers
06-23-2011, 11:49 PM
You guys are definitely making me want to get this ... but I'll wait til it's $20 or $25.

AustinWolv
06-24-2011, 12:44 AM
I loved FantaVision back on the PS2.

Never played Rez.

I watched some videos of Child of Eden and it seemed like you just grabbed/aimed at bunch of objects and then hit the fire button/movement......but the screen seemed pretty busy so hard to distinguish stuff.........is that the case or it plays cleaner than that?

morsdraconis
06-24-2011, 09:17 AM
I watched some videos of Child of Eden and it seemed like you just grabbed/aimed at bunch of objects and then hit the fire button/movement......but the screen seemed pretty busy so hard to distinguish stuff.........is that the case or it plays cleaner than that?

No, that's definitely the case. But you actually hold the "fire button" down to grab targets and then release to kill them so you just sorta hover over everything and you get the idea of what you need to attack. It gets SUPER hectic though. Just watch the video I put up in the OP. It's the level that I died on.

AustinWolv
06-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Yeah, it looks hectic. Half the time I'm not sure what the video is aiming at. :)
Certainly looks pretty.

Deuce
06-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Is this on PSN?

JBHuskers
06-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Is this on PSN?

It's a retail title.

Deuce
06-24-2011, 02:35 PM
It's a retail title.

Darn...I'll prolly wait until it goes down in price as well. I like these kind of games though. I would love to find Robotron 2084 on PSN. It's on XBL i think but not PSN. Sucks...

JBHuskers
06-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Child of Eden on PS3 will have 'really cool' extras (due out in September) (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/23/child-of-eden-on-ps3-will-have-really-cool-extras/)