PDA

View Full Version : PSU Self Reporting an Infraction

psusnoop
06-21-2011, 09:16 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_743102.html

I can't wait to watch this to be honest, and I bet you guys would have never guessed that.

:D:D:D

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2011, 09:34 AM
OMG cheaters! They deserve the death penalty!!!

:P

Seriously, if Penn State gets even a reprimand from the NCAA for something like this, good lord. I know this is the NCAA we're talking about, a bunch of corporate suits with ass fat for brains, but seriously, come on. Some of this stuff is just ridiculous.

psusnoop
06-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Atleast PSU is self reporting this and not just saying while this doesn't matter.

I agree though, I don't see anything coming from this at all. Though I'd like to know who exactly looked good out there. :D:D:D

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2011, 09:57 AM
I agree there, at least they are going ahead and reporting it. They could pretty much sweep it under the rug, and honestly, probably no one would ever know besides Paterno and the coaches he talked to. I can guarantee this probably happens with some coaches that DO know that it's against the rules, but as long as they do it in a way they won't be discovered or caught, no one will ever hear about it. Paterno just made an honest mistake.

gschwendt
06-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Not saying PSU is even in the same discussion as Ohio State, but I remember hearing from someone that before Tressel was even close to being fired, he'd have a bunch of secondary violations every year, pretty much every one of them intentional. Things like "whoops, Eddie George just happens to be in this same hallway as I walk the players through it, better go report it" when it was setup from the beginning.

There needs to be changes to the rules... not sure where to begin but something needs to change.

psusnoop
06-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Not saying PSU is even in the same discussion as Ohio State, but I remember hearing from someone that before Tressel was even close to being fired, he'd have a bunch of secondary violations every year, pretty much every one of them intentional. Things like "whoops, Eddie George just happens to be in this same hallway as I walk the players through it, better go report it" when it was setup from the beginning.

There needs to be changes to the rules... not sure where to begin but something needs to change.

I completely agree, I think NCAA should rethink and reevaluate things and bring them more in line with society in today's standards and technology.

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2011, 10:23 AM
I completely agree, I think NCAA should rethink and reevaluate things and bring them more in line with society in today's standards and technology.

You mean the NCAA actually using real world reasoning and logic to run things? That's a good one. :D

psusnoop
06-21-2011, 10:24 AM
I know that was an oxymoron wasn't it.

AustinWolv
06-21-2011, 10:50 AM

That is completely true. Cris Carter and others just sooooo happened to be around. They self-reported 300+ secondary violations since Tressell got that job, including Troy Smith and Pryor admittedly taking money and other benefits, but oh, they just paid it back and everything was just fine with a hand-slap from the NCAA saying or doing nothing.

They led the B10 by far in NCAA violations, but explained it away that they were so honest that they self-reported everything so their AD said it was a good thing that they had so many, yet we all know the wink behind the camera on that one.

JeffHCross
06-21-2011, 08:38 PM
The rival sure is coming out lately for you, Austin ;)

They self-reported 300+ secondary violations since Tressell got that jobAcross all sports, not just football. So connecting it to Tressel isn't really accurate.

Anyway, between PSU self-reporting a violation, and Mark Richt getting two secondary violations last week (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Today-in-NCAA-tedium-Richt-learns-the-differenc?urn=ncaaf-wp2666), it really puts things in perspective with this Rivals.com op-ed from, well, about 7 hours before Georgia's news came out:

2. Stand-up guys. With wayward coaches such as Ohio State’s Jim Tressel and backstabbing coaches such as West Virginia’s Bill Stewart, the college football world is left to wonder if there are any legitimately good coaches out there who do the right thing and play by the rules. The coach I would be most surprised to find out was breaking the rules? Georgia’s Mark Richt. While Tressel had the facade of being a religious man, Richt’s convictions are authentic. I really do think the Bulldogs’ boss is driven by an inner belief to do the right thing. Is he perfect? Of course not. But I don’t think he would knowingly break NCAA rules or do something with the intent of undermining a colleague. Here are other Big Six coaches I would be stunned to learn willingly broke NCAA rules: Baylor’s Art Briles, Duke’s David Cutcliffe, Maryland’s Randy Edsall, Northwestern’s Pat Fitzgerald, Kansas’ Turner Gill, Wake Forest’s Jim Grobe, N.C. State’s Tom O’Brien, BYU’s Bronco Mendenhall, Penn State’s Joe Paterno, Oregon State’s Mike Riley, Iowa State’s Paul Rhoads, Texas A&M’s Mike Sherman, Louisville’s Charlie Strong and Utah’s Kyle Whittingham.Now, granted, he said "willingly" -- and I know neither case shows any sign of being purposeful. And I'm not trying to compare them to Ohio State's situation. But with the breadth of "violations" now, if you count "accidents", I'd be more surprised to hear that a program didn't commit any violations, rather than it did.

steelerfan
06-22-2011, 01:58 AM
The rival sure is coming out lately for you, Austin ;)

Across all sports, not just football. So connecting it to Tressel isn't really accurate.

Anyway, between PSU self-reporting a violation, and Mark Richt getting two secondary violations last week (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Today-in-NCAA-tedium-Richt-learns-the-differenc?urn=ncaaf-wp2666), it really puts things in perspective with this Rivals.com op-ed from, well, about 7 hours before Georgia's news came out:
Now, granted, he said "willingly" -- and I know neither case shows any sign of being purposeful. And I'm not trying to compare them to Ohio State's situation. But with the breadth of "violations" now, if you count "accidents", I'd be more surprised to hear that a program didn't commit any violations, rather than it did.

Nice try, Jeff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

AustinWolv
06-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Jeff, that is ridiculous to even bring that stuff up. Grabbing at a branch there.

If we count all sports, the number probably goes to 450+. ;)

Shouldn't even try comparing a couple minor secondaries in 40 years of coaching (Paterno) or Richt's tenure with the number that Tressell had, not to mention known improper benefits cases (Troy Smith, Pryor). Haven't read those two coaches' cases, but wouldn't be surprised if it was assistants that screwed up. I agree that the NCAA rules are crazy and nit-picky in some regards, so secondaries now and then aren't that surprising, but bringing up those other coaches in the same breath as the hundreds upon hundreds that O$U has is ridiculous. You should be completely disgusted at the childish behavior that O$U's athletic department has had during all of this and before it.

I agree with steelerfan......I just read the Paterno link above, and holy crap, Jeff bothered to compared that to the wink-wink recruiting violations that have been commonplace at O$U for years?
{rolling eyes}

JBHuskers
06-22-2011, 09:23 AM
I figured when I saw they were self reporting an infraction, they had failed to report that Joe Pa actually died in 2005 and they were just wheeling him out Weekend At Bernie's style....

AustinWolv
06-22-2011, 10:25 AM
:D

Hell, when he stopped to watch them practice, he probably forgot it was his own players.

psusnoop
06-22-2011, 10:43 AM
There is no way he could see who was doing "well" at anything with that kind of eyesight :D:D

JBHuskers
06-22-2011, 11:42 AM
You could probably light a player on fire with these when he isn't doing what he's supposed to do in practice:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50340&stc=1&d=1232092354

psusnoop
06-22-2011, 12:42 PM
:D:D

ram29jackson
06-22-2011, 08:18 PM
must have been a slow news day

JeffHCross
06-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Nice try, JeffUh ... try what?

If we count all sports, the number probably goes to 450+. ;)No ... they were counting all sports. Stop making shit up.

holy crap, Jeff bothered to compared that to the wink-wink recruiting violations that have been commonplace at O$U for years?Let's read what I said again ...

I'm not trying to compare them to Ohio State's situation.

The only thing I was bringing up was that I had just read a Rivals column saying "I'd be shocked if I heard these coaches were breaking the rules" -- and 7 hours later, the coach that was the bulk of his point had committed a violation. I didn't say willingly. I didn't even remotely try to compare it to Ohio State. There is no comparison. None. Tressel deserved to be fired for what he did. Not resign -- fired. It's a joke that Richt and Paterson's transgressions are even violations. If even that is "violations" now, I can't imagine there isn't a program out there that's not doing something that's a reportable violation. That was my point.

If either of you thought I was trying to use these events to justify anything that's happened at Ohio State, you totally missed the boat.