PDA

View Full Version : The Gaming Tailgate Podcast - NCAA 11 Dynasty Mode Phone Call & Prospects

cdj
06-08-2010, 05:45 PM
In this edition of The Gaming Tailgate podcast, JBHuskers, cdj and gschwendt discuss changes coming to NCAA Football 11's Dynasty mode, including changes to the phone call system and prospects in recruiting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCrk8BouSZg

To submit show feedback or suggest a topic for a future show, e-mail the guys at podcast@thegamingtailgate.com or post your thoughts in the comments section.

Continue on to download or listen to the podcast on MP3.

Listen to the show here or right click and save as (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/MP3s/tgtpodcast2.mp3):
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/MP3s/tgtpodcast2.mp3

mundo
06-08-2010, 07:22 PM
good podcast. Question on potential to make sure I am listening right. Two 3 star qbs that are both high school players and the same overall rankings. I will be able to tell which of the Qbs has a higher potential based on their ranking in the database?

JBHuskers
06-08-2010, 07:24 PM
good podcast. Question on potential to make sure I am listening right. Two 3 star qbs that are both high school players and the same overall rankings. I will be able to tell which of the Qbs has a higher potential based on their ranking in the database?

Thanks man, and yep.

morsdraconis
06-08-2010, 07:35 PM
As always fellas, good stuff and it's always good to get other people's explanations of how stuff works just to make sure I'm grasping it correctly.

Jayrah
06-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Good stuff guys. I can't wait to try and figure out my team this year. In the past the mantra was, let's try and win a championship ASAP. Now I have a feeling that I will be on a year by year plan to get competitive (as WSU in offline and Kentucky in my TF OD), and then go for the glory after I'm consistent. Going for the gold out of the gate will be a mistake, and there will be consequences, like losing precious years of building by not recruiting properly. I LOVE IT. Or I may hate it...lol, we'll see how I adapt I guess.

morsdraconis
06-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Good stuff guys. I can't wait to try and figure out my team this year. In the past the mantra was, let's try and win a championship ASAP. Now I have a feeling that I will be on a year by year plan to get competitive (as WSU in offline and Kentucky in my TF OD), and then go for the glory after I'm consistent. Going for the gold out of the gate will be a mistake, and there will be consequences, like losing precious years of building by not recruiting properly. I LOVE IT. Or I may hate it...lol, we'll see how I adapt I guess.

I can't wait for our TF dynasty man. Me and you are the only ones that went with a team that wasn't a powerhouse (me with Iowa State). Should be a lot of fun.

steelerfan
06-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Good job, as always, guys.

One question though. I was under the impression that "potential" would either be unknown when I am recruiting or sometimes wrong to allow for "gems" and "busts". As far as you CD guys know, what is the case?

ebin
06-09-2010, 02:35 AM
I found this podcast to be particularly informative. Even though it is essentially the same information as what was presented in the EA blogs, you guys did a great job of explaining how all the various pieces fit together. Keep up the great work!

Rudy
06-09-2010, 04:47 AM
Good job, as always, guys.

One question though. I was under the impression that "potential" would either be unknown when I am recruiting or sometimes wrong to allow for "gems" and "busts". As far as you CD guys know, what is the case?

This is the one thing I didn't like hearing about. The potential of the player is given away by the overall ranking of the prospect. I don't think potential should be completely hidden as coaches do know who needs more development than others but it seems too apparent with the ranking system. They should adjust the rankings by only accounting for a percentage of potential (both good and bad) a player has.

Example. One QB comes in at 75 with average potential (could max out around 85). The second QB comes in at 70 with great potential (could max out around 92). The current system would probably rank the second QB higher (if I average the present and max scores the first is an 80 and the second QB an 81). I'm just speculating here with this but I'd like to see maybe 1/4 the potential used. So the first QB gets a recruiting score of 75 + 0.25*10 point potential improvement = 77.5. The 2nd QB gets a recruiting score of 70 + 0.25*22 point potential improvement = 75.5. The 2nd QB is clearly worse than the first QB, with potential hidden for the most part, but he would constitute the diamond in the rough. I'd prefer this.

I should say that I don't really believe in regression for players ratings in college football unless they suffer a severe injury. I would think most kids would get bigger, stronger and better over the course of their college career. The disappointments are simply guys that weren't as good as you thought or didn't improve as much as you would have liked.

Kwizzy
06-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Nice podcast guys. You definitely shed some light on something I hadn't even considered completely when I read the blog, JUCO players. The strategy now involved in deciding whether to take a JUCO or not could be really interesting.

I also enjoyed the breakdown of the calling and pitching system. Like others have said, it wasn't anything we couldn't read in the blog, but somehow you guys always seem to make things more clear. Keep it up! :)

One bit of feedback, & maybe I'm alone in this... Chris, is there any way you can start adding in some more of your own thoughts and experiences with the other guys instead of acting mostly as a host? I'm sure you mostly agree with the other guys and you do offer thoughts sometimes, but it'd be nice to have 3 perspectives on some of these features no matter how similar to one another they are. Sometimes hearing a similar thing in a different way makes things more clear &/or exciting. Just a thought.

cdj
06-09-2010, 11:01 AM

This is the one thing I didn't like hearing about. The potential of the player is given away by the overall ranking of the prospect. I don't think potential should be completely hidden as coaches do know who needs more development than others but it seems too apparent with the ranking system. They should adjust the rankings by only accounting for a percentage of potential (both good and bad) a player has.

Potential may be given away slightly, but not as much as we think. If I understand the blog and how the recruit rankings work, they generally get sorted by star ranking, then OVR (hidden) and then any ties there get sorted by the hidden potential rating. With that, each recruiting pool pulls X number of recruits out of the big recruit database, so theoretically, while one 3* QB may be listed ahead of another 3* QB, they could each have high or low potential. That aspect is still unknown.

One bit of feedback, & maybe I'm alone in this... Chris, is there any way you can start adding in some more of your own thoughts and experiences with the other guys instead of acting mostly as a host? I'm sure you mostly agree with the other guys and you do offer thoughts sometimes, but it'd be nice to have 3 perspectives on some of these features no matter how similar to one another they are. Sometimes hearing a similar thing in a different way makes things more clear &/or exciting. Just a thought.

When it's three of us on at once, I try to stay as 'host' to make sure we stay around the 11 minute mark but I'll try to pipe in more often. ;) I have to admit that I hate saying "I" too much plus I cringe when hearing my voice editing the podcasts. It's probably a subliminal choice to not talk much. We have another podcast in the can I hope to post this week that talks about 120 Ways to Win and team details that is just JB and I, so that should get you your cdj fill. :p

Kwizzy
06-09-2010, 11:45 AM
haha don't flatter yourself bud, if a dog had access to NCAA community days I'd want his opinion too! :p

cdj
06-09-2010, 12:12 PM
haha don't flatter yourself bud, if a dog had access to NCAA community days I'd want his opinion too! :p

That's really funny. :D I'll have my housedog make an appearance on a future show just for you.

JBHuskers
06-09-2010, 12:22 PM
That's really funny. :D I'll have my housedog make an appearance on a future show just for you.

Please don't. I hear enough from him when I play online with you as it is :D

iBrandon
06-09-2010, 12:45 PM
As always fellas, good stuff and it's always good to get other people's explanations of how stuff works just to make sure I'm grasping it correctly.

I agree. This is the first podcast of y'alls that I have listened to, and I really enjoyed it. I liked that it wasn't very long and you guys got right down to the meat and potatoes.

JBHuskers
06-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I agree. This is the first podcast of y'alls that I have listened to, and I really enjoyed it. I liked that it wasn't very long and you guys got right down to the meat and potatoes.

Thanks bro, we really appreciate it.

ChiCitySports
06-09-2010, 12:52 PM
JB told me about this a couple days ago on twitter, I'll be tuning in.