PDA

View Full Version : More Changes at EA Tiburon

cdj
06-17-2011, 07:29 AM
From reports at Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5812861/longtime-madden-producer-leaves-the-team) and Pastapadre (http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/06/16/phil-frazier-the-latest-to-leave-ea-sports-tiburon-studio), changes on the Madden NFL team may now be affecting NCAA Football. Kotaku is reporting that NCAA Executive Producer Roy Harvey may be headed to the same role with Madden NFL.

Phil Frazier, a 13-year veteran of EA Sports and the executive producer for the label's flagship Madden NFL title, is leaving the company, Kotaku has learned. Frazier's departure follows by two months that of Ian Cummings, the series' former creative director and himself a 10-year veteran of the project. Madden NFL 12 is due for release Aug. 30; Frazier's departure comes as the title is in its quality assurance and certification stages.

Kotaku understands that Roy Harvey, the executive producer of NCAA Football will take over as executive producer of Madden. Both titles are produced at the same studio, EA Sports Tiburon.

UPDATE - From GameInformer (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/06/17/longtime-madden-producer-leaves-ea-tiburon.aspx): EA Sports has confirmed that NCAA executive producer Roy Harvey will take over Frazier's role and act as dual EPs for both franchises until the company names a successor for the NCAA series.

iBrandon
06-17-2011, 08:25 AM
As long as the game keeps improving...

cdj
06-17-2011, 12:24 PM
From GameInformer (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/06/17/longtime-madden-producer-leaves-ea-tiburon.aspx): EA Sports has confirmed that NCAA executive producer Roy Harvey will take over Frazier's role and act as dual EPs for both franchises until the company names a successor for the NCAA series.

JBHuskers
06-17-2011, 12:29 PM
From GameInformer (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/06/17/longtime-madden-producer-leaves-ea-tiburon.aspx): EA Sports has confirmed that NCAA executive producer Roy Harvey will take over Frazier's role and act as dual EPs for both franchises until the company names a successor for the NCAA series.

Ugh...sad to see Roy leave the NCAA franchise :fdown:

cdj
06-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Ugh...sad to see Roy leave the NCAA franchise :fdown:

Same here. His willingness to engage directly with the community (via e-mail, community events, etc.) cannot be over-emphasized. The game took some pretty big strides in his two years at the helm, but I'm optimistic the team and next EP will keep the ball rolling.

Despite being a Michigan fan, Roy is a good guy and will be missed. The Madden community should be ecstatic. There may not be a better choice to take over for Frazier, who I thought also did a good job while Madden EP.

morsdraconis
06-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Oh shit no!

It seemed like Harvey was the reason for all the HUGE changes to the last two games... Damn it!

psusnoop
06-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Well doesn't that just suck.

Pretty much sums it up.

I'm with Chris on this, I'm optimistic that the team continues forward without missing a step.

AustinWolv
06-17-2011, 01:12 PM
It seemed like Harvey was the reason for all the HUGE changes to the last two games... Damn it!
Because it takes an UM guy to do things right and do it well, something cdj will see on the field soon enough.

steelerfan
06-17-2011, 01:14 PM
While this isn't good news, it doesn't have to be bad news either. Hopefully, the direction Roy took the NCAA series will be pushed further by his successor.

I wish Roy all the best and I'm hopeful that he can really get Madden firmly back on track.

ram29jackson
06-17-2011, 03:48 PM
well did he get laid off or found a better job or what ?

cdj
06-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Because it takes an UM guy to do things right and do it well, something cdj will see on the field soon enough.

:D Had to make sure you UM guys were paying attention.

Phil? I'm under the impression he left for another job opportunity on his own accord. I don't think anyone knows where he is heading yet.

JBHuskers
06-17-2011, 03:59 PM

No official word yet. Pretty sure he wasn't laid off, but outside of that, nothing is known.

Rudy
06-17-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm assuming Roy gets a raise or likes the NFL better to take the job correct?

JBHuskers
06-17-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm assuming Roy gets a raise or likes the NFL better to take the job correct?

Pretty sure it's a big raise, pretty sure he prefers the college game over NFL though.

Rudy
06-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Hopefully the NCAA series doesn't take a step back.

Tarhead10
06-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Hopefully the NCAA series doesn't take a step back.

Yeah no kidding, really liked Roy.... Best of luck!!

Gotmadskillzson
06-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Pasta Padre must have planted bugs throughout Tibiroun studios. He always seem to be getting the scoop.

Pig Bomb
06-17-2011, 07:03 PM
hopefully some new blood will get in there and shake things up for the better!!

JBHuskers
06-17-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm not doubting the direction of the franchise with Roy departing.

However, having known Roy personally for a couple years now it's just a bummer that he will be leaving the franchise, but he can definitely make the same impact with the Madden franchise.

CoreySA
06-17-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm not doubting the direction of the franchise with Roy departing.

However, having known Roy personally for a couple years now it's just a bummer that he will be leaving the franchise, but he can definitely make the same impact with the Madden franchise.

I agree. He has taken huge strides with the NCAA series, and it'll probably continue to improve. I am more interested to see what he can accomplish with Madden in the future. M12 looks great, and this bodes well for the series moving forward.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
06-17-2011, 08:35 PM
come one man... what the crap... i hope to GOD he helps at least pull in someone like him so this game doesnt take a turn backwards...

"E"

Rudy
06-17-2011, 08:54 PM
I could care less what he does with Madden. I haven't bought a Madden game since '05. I did rent '10 but it's all NCAA for me.

Boucher
06-17-2011, 09:05 PM
We are all screwed. Watch them hire David Ortiz

Paakaa10
06-17-2011, 11:25 PM
It seems like there's a lot of doom and gloom coming out of this news, which is kinda funny to me; though I understand the initial reaction because it was a "gut punch" feeling for me when I first saw the news.

Roy Harvey is stilll going to be working at EA Tiburon, and he's going to have his hands in both games until they find a suitable replacement for his role with the NCAA Football development team. Even after a new guy is hired--or somebody gets promoted that's already on-board working in the studio--it's not like Roy isn't going to bump into these guys in the hallways or see them during general meetings in the offices.

The assumption that NCAA Football is going to go downhill or be neglected because of this move is silly; Roy's put a lot of work into the franchise and he wouldn't just sit idly by while somebody down the hall from him ran it into the ground or mismanaged future titles and decisions.

It's unfortunate that guys like Ian Cummings and Phil Frazier are leaving the Madden NFL team--especially when the game seems poised to return to something near its former glory with this year's release--but that's game design. As far as I can tell, guys who stay at the same software development company for 10+ years--like Ian and Phil did--are the exception and not the rule.

JBHuskers
06-18-2011, 01:56 AM
Yeah one EP will not completely take down a franchise....let's make that clear.