PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska's New "Air Kansas" Offense

johntom2000
06-13-2011, 08:45 PM
I been reading up on Tim Beck's new offense that he going to install this season. I watched the spring red/white game and saw alot of pistol. I read about 50% pistol and lots of 3,4, and maybe 5 Wide for the gun. An bearly running from the I. I wanna to make recreate his playbook as close as I can and run with it offline before I break it out online. Anyone knows the formations that he will run?

huskernation11
06-14-2011, 01:12 PM
No net yet. You"ll just have to go by your gut feeling when the games releases, cause the Spring Game was just a "preview." Pelini said that they were just going to be "very basic" in his words. Just put a number of different formations in. The journalists really don't know what they're talking about yet. Its a total guess. Beck said that when the offense is installed, they are going to go where the defense is not. That could mean that running from the spread isn't working so they might go under center and try some play action or something. But yes, the Pistol is in, so is the I and different variations of the Spread. So I would say just put a bunch of different formations that you think fits until we really get to SEE the offense this year. Good luck

Go Big Red

baseballplyrmvp
06-14-2011, 08:28 PM
No net yet. You"ll just have to go by your gut feeling when the games releases, cause the Spring Game was just a "preview." Pelini said that they were just going to be "very basic" in his words. Just put a number of different formations in. The journalists really don't know what they're talking about yet. Its a total guess. Beck said that when the offense is installed, they are going to go where the defense is not. That could mean that running from the spread isn't working so they might go under center and try some play action or something. But yes, the Pistol is in, so is the I and different variations of the Spread. So I would say just put a bunch of different formations that you think fits until we really get to SEE the offense this year. Good luck

Go Big Redso basically, what you're sayin is, is that nebraska will be playing sandlot football on offense? :) no set routes, just run away from your cover man?

DEHusker
06-16-2011, 03:27 PM
It really seems that way yes.
They'll have a base formation that they're running out of, and if it's a pass play and you're covered to hell, get open is definitely the next option.

souljahbill
06-16-2011, 05:15 PM
How many Nebraska fans are on this site? Geez! It's a new one everyday it seems.
:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

th3 last tiger
06-16-2011, 05:29 PM
His background is from the Marc Mangino Kansas teams correct? If this is the case then my guess would be that you will be more pass heavy than last year.

Kwizzy
06-17-2011, 08:55 AM
If you check out the Nebraska Cornhuskers thread in the College Sports Discussion section you will find quite a few posts about where the offense is headed as well as a few links to videos from spring practice.
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?305-Nebraska-Cornhuskers-Thread/page3

Page 3 is where the discussion of this year's offense starts.

Here's how I would sum up what to expect from the offense.

I think you'll see a lot of pistol and shotgun with some IFORM stuff thrown in to help establish a power run game. It will be a lot of runs then play action off of it. I think they will try to stretch the defense vertically more & then hit them underneath w/ more WR screens. Also, it will be very fast paced, no huddle stuff. Should be interesting to see how they incorporate some of the Iformation stuff with the no huddle & spread stuff.

To that post, I would add that I think the most unique thing about this offense will be that I think you will see them incorporate more traditional power/option sets into a hurry up offense than has ever been done previosuly. I could be completely wrong but based on everything I've seen & read, picture:
-Part Oregon's offense (Mainly their WR Screen/Zone Read/Play Action Game)
-Part 2007 Kansas Passing game (Lots of option routes)
-Part 90s Nebraska (Some of Osborne's Options, Power, and Fullback runs)

It'll be interesting to see how much of each is really a staple of the offense but near as I can tell, those are all elements that will be incorporated. It also wouldn't surprise me if, instead of establishing those power and option looks from the I-Formation, they tried to incorporate those aspects out of more power friendly Pistol sets.

Pig Bomb
06-18-2011, 10:13 AM
If you check out the Nebraska Cornhuskers thread in the College Sports Discussion section you will find quite a few posts about where the offense is headed as well as a few links to videos from spring practice.
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?305-Nebraska-Cornhuskers-Thread/page3

Page 3 is where the discussion of this year's offense starts.

Here's how I would sum up what to expect from the offense.

To that post, I would add that I think the most unique thing about this offense will be that I think you will see them incorporate more traditional power/option sets into a hurry up offense than has ever been done previosuly. I could be completely wrong but based on everything I've seen & read, picture:
-Part Oregon's offense (Mainly their WR Screen/Zone Read/Play Action Game)
-Part 2007 Kansas Passing game (Lots of option routes)
-Part 90s Nebraska (Some of Osborne's Options, Power, and Fullback runs)

It'll be interesting to see how much of each is really a staple of the offense but near as I can tell, those are all elements that will be incorporated. It also wouldn't surprise me if, instead of establishing those power and option looks from the I-Formation, they tried to incorporate those aspects out of more power friendly Pistol sets.

defensive coordinators must be excited about trying to prepare their teams to face this type of multiple offense...NOT

cdj
06-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Here is an interview with Pelini from yesterday. He talks briefly about the offense, but doesn't give any major details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO1i9iWIXO0

ussr8219
07-27-2011, 03:07 PM
alls i can say is steve pederson is an idiot. solich should still be there. NU had all the pieces there for a title run in 04. dont tell me or say solich was a bad coach, just look what hes done at OHIO. NU seriously needs to get back to there roots run the f***ING FOOTBALL. the spread or whatever you call it is a junk offense. just look at all those teams that get in the redzone, and cant power it in. JUNK OFFENSE. the option works army navy airforce, oh and a Paul Johnson coached team GT. run the option.

Dr Death
07-27-2011, 11:20 PM
NU seriously needs to get back to there roots run the f***ING FOOTBALL. the spread or whatever you call it is a junk offense. just look at all those teams that get in the redzone, and cant power it in. JUNK OFFENSE.

As someone who loves the Run & Shoot and Air Raid offenses, I can assure you that those offenses are not junk. I also recall a 2004 game between :Texas_Tech: and :Nebraska: where the final score was 70-10... and it wasn't the Huskers that had the 70.

Now, you may be one who is all for running the ball and if so, more power to you. But don't criticize offenses you obviously know nothing about. Spread offenses of all kinds are all over the landscape of college football and even the NFL w/ teams like the Colts, Pats and Saints.