PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football 12: What's New in Road to Glory

Flav
06-13-2011, 02:54 PM
In this video from EA SPORTS, check out what's new in NCAA Football 12's revamped Road to Glory Mode.

Among the improvements and changes shared in this video narrated by ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit include users have the ability to recreate their entire senior season of high school football in 'the High School Experience' in a customizable 7-10 game season. In addition, each high school foe can be customized and given a difficulty rank so you can make sure your high school's biggest rival is your toughest foe. These teams can also be imported in from the TeamBuilder website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mIWy3sjpU

While in high school, users can play both sides of the ball. Colleges will recruit you based on how you play on each side of the ball, meaning that you upon completion of your senior season you will have to decide what school and position you want to play in college.

Once in college you will not only have to earn playing time and your post on the depth chart, but you must work to maintain your spot. The ability to Hot Route and call Audibles are no longer a given in Road to Glory - you must earn Coach Trust with your performance. Users can also earn the ability to call the plays within RTG.

Users can also enhance progression with Ratings Boost Packs that come in different week length and rarity. Points that can be used to purchase the packs are earned in practices and games.

CLW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mIWy3sjpU&feature=feedu

illwill10
I almost gave up hope for this

JBHuskers
06-13-2011, 03:00 PM
then start dropping info

I'm going to hopefully do a write-up tonight sometime. In the meantime, I can answer questions.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm going to hopefully do a write-up tonight sometime. In the meantime, I can answer questions.
Is there Custom Quarter Lengths

JBHuskers
06-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Is there Custom Quarter Lengths

Yes.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Yes.

So we can set 10 min quarters

Pig Bomb
06-13-2011, 03:06 PM
i do not play this mode but it looks like it's pretty cool

cdj
You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?458-NCAA-Football-12-What-s-New-in-Road-to-Glory-(Video)

xMrHitStickx904
wow... that is hot. i haven't played RTG since it came out ... definitely gonna check it out now. wow.

Daywalker86
06-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Well done EA....

Fix the HORRIBLE play calling....and you have yourself a solid mode.

JBHuskers
06-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Well done EA....

Fix the HORRIBLE play calling....and you have yourself a solid mode.

Once you progress far enough through Coach Trust, you can fix it yourself :nod:

illwill10
06-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Great to hear
This might be my most played mode

psusnoop
06-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Nice, that was a good vid. I played around with RTG in 11 but I think I'll put forth much more effort in 12 after seeing this vid. Very nice.

umhester04
06-13-2011, 03:19 PM
So we can set 10 min quarters

correct

umhester04
06-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Can we be a KR/PR

illwill10
06-13-2011, 03:20 PM
correct

Yes.

That is all I need to hear.

CLW
06-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Meh. I'm just not into this mode at all. If there are PS3 trophies I'll whore them out (create a DE and turn offsides OFF) and move on to better things.

JBHuskers
06-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Can we be a KR/PR

Nope.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 03:24 PM
How does TB work with TB?
Can we have Custom Playbook for our HS team?

illwill10
06-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Can we be TE?
Our we forced to play both sides

Daywalker86
06-13-2011, 03:29 PM

Very welcome news :up:

JBHuskers
06-13-2011, 03:31 PM
How does TB work with TB?
Can we have Custom Playbook for our HS team?

Just the look of the team carries over along with the stadium....the roster does not carry over.

Can we be TE?
Our we forced to play both sides

TE, I am checking on....

No you're not forced to play both sides.

A lot of the times I had the most fun being an option QB and a MLB.

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 03:33 PM
I don't have a full write-up ready to go--I might work on putting one together later--but let me quickly address some aspects of Road to Glory mode in NCAA Football 12 that make it improved for me from last year.

For me, one of the more annoying parts of RtG in NCAA Football 11 was having to attend a practice every day; sometimes two practices a day if you wanted to earn extra practice points and forego your school obligations. This really hurt my enjoyment of the mode because it would take about 5 to 6 times as long to practice as it would to play a game each week. This has changed in NCAA Football 12, and now you only have one practice session a week lasting 25 plays. If I recall correctly, having to manage your school life and all of that has been removed as well, so the focus falls solely upon playing football.
For people who enjoy Teambuilder, the video has obviously given you good news in that you can import your Teambuilder teams and designs to the game for use in your senior year of high school before you make it to college football. This also means that you don't need to snore your way through senior year playing against cupcakes; based on how you set up your Teambuilder squads, every team can be a Powerhouse or you can set up a realistic up-and-down of talent based on the high schools you played against in your own experience. NOTE: Clarification of how senior season opponent difficulty is handled can now be found in post #34 of this thread.
I put a decent amount of time into playing RtG as a middle linebacker and the game seems to do a better job of rewarding you for playing your position even if the play doesn't always come your way. I specifically saw points earned for good zone coverage (and points taken away for bad zone coverage, like when you give up a TD) as well as point rewards/penalties for good and bad man coverage.
Choosing schools to focus on when you begin your high school year and then seeing how those schools do or don't get interested in you--as well as seeing which schools jump in unsolicited based on your play--also adds a nice little dynamic to how the game plays out. This should allow the decision of which college to attend to be a bit easier than it has been in the past; some schools will show pronounced interest early on depending how you perform and it'll be a more manageable group to work with.
Finally, having the ability to play in "Ironman Mode"--where you play on both offense and defense--is a great idea for people who aren't sure if they want to play O or D; now, based on your performance, your prospects might be better on one side of the ball than they are on the other.

If you have any questions, keep contributing them to this thread and those of us who played RtG at the Community Events will answer what we can. Just be aware that--memories being what they are and the most recent event having been a full month ago--we might not have the best recollection of very small or specific details.

JBHuskers
06-13-2011, 03:35 PM
I was wrong....there is no custom quarter length...sorry I swore that was in there, but it isn't.

morsdraconis
06-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Can't fuckin' wait! They finally did something to my favorite aspect of sports games. Pretty damn excited to try it out.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Can we select Jerseys in HS and in college?
Can we wear Alt TB Jerseys in HS

JBHuskers
06-13-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm chatting with Alex Howell on Facebook right now (as I will be doing a Q&A with him to hopefully be posted tomorrow or Wednesday) .... but he wanted to make sure to tell you guys:

and please tell the world that we fixed the playcalling for all of RTG

JBHuskers
06-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Cannot play TE this year, in the cards for next year possibly.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 03:38 PM
I was wrong....there is no custom quarter length...sorry I swore that was in there, but it isn't.

HUGE BUMMER. I am still going to play it, but will affect how long I will play.

JBHuskers
06-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Can we select Jerseys in HS and in college?
Can we wear Alt TB Jerseys in HS

Pretty sure it is a no on that.

morsdraconis
06-13-2011, 03:39 PM

That's unfortunate. That's a pretty big deal since it's stuck on 5 minute quarters (if I remember correctly).

illwill10
06-13-2011, 03:42 PM
That's unfortunate. That's a pretty big deal since it's stuck on 5 minute quarters (if I remember correctly).

It is a big deal. I had a feeling watching the vid and seeing his stats.

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Clarification regarding Teambuilder use in Road to Glory:

Logos, colors, jerseys, stadiums, and fields can be imported from Teambuilder to Road to Glory for the high school season.
Rosters cannot be imported but the difficulty of each team on the schedule can be set for both offense and defense before the senior season begins during the high school section of Road to Glory.

Kudos to development team member Alex Howell for getting these answers back to me so quickly.

cdj
06-13-2011, 03:46 PM
With XP being earned in-game, I would guess that QTR length would need to be locked so someone couldn't earn an unreal amount in one game.

JBHuskers
06-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Yeah I coulda swore when setting up your player that you had the option to....but then again it's been sometime since I have seen a build, so I had to double check.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 03:50 PM
With XP being earned in-game, I would guess that QTR length would need to be locked so someone couldn't earn an unreal amount in one game.

It makes playing certain positions not fun because you cant get good realistic stats.
So can you boost your attributes. So there is a possibilty of being a 95+ OVR player on a bad team

illwill10
06-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Is there any presentation in RTG?

JBHuskers
06-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Is there any presentation in RTG?

One of the new things that is in-game is called a "Legends Spotlight". If you are having a great game....sometime in the 4th quarter a highlight package will be shown in-between plays.

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 03:56 PM
So can you boost your attributes. So there is a possibilty of being a 95+ OVR player on a bad team

Boost your attributes meaning? As shown in the video, the game has "packages" that you can unlock to improve your stats where you spend the XP earned in games and practices. Some of the packages last only a single game, while some apply to your full career as a player.

If you get enough XP on the field, then you could definitely unlock enough "packages" to have a good player even if your team isn't as strong.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 03:56 PM
One of the new things that is in-game is called a "Legends Spotlight". If you are having a great game....sometime in the 4th quarter a highlight package will be shown in-between plays.

Is there intros and some cutscenes.?
I dont think commentary is in though.

JBHuskers
06-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Is there intros and some cutscenes.?
I dont think commentary is in though.

In-game, yes....there are pre-game entrances where the team runs through a banner painted by the students.

cdj
06-13-2011, 03:58 PM
It makes playing certain positions not fun because you cant get good realistic stats.

Yes. Those boosts - as you see in the video - can be utilized not just in games but for the entire week; game and practice. (These boost last for varying lengths. As short as one week, unsure on max length off the top of my head.)

For example, maybe you spend XP to get a Lvl 5 Rarity Boost which bumps your RBs SPD & ACC. Buy it before Practice to improve your performance there and then play that week's game to aid your play which in turn gets you more XP from both.

JB is planning on composing a Q&A with Alex and a write-up and I'll try and toss a few thoughts into that, but the mode had a significant overhaul. Alex is a former walk-on at Auburn (see Kotaku article (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?425-Kotaku-A-Walk-On-Who-Made-the-Team-Wants-You-to-Know-What-It-Really-Means)) and is also a big-time gamer, basing RTG off role-playing games because, in essence, that's what these Be A Pro, My Player, and Superstar Modes are. He's very passionate about the mode (and the game) and has a lot of big ideas for this mode in the future.

sparkdawg777
06-13-2011, 03:59 PM

I don't understand though, why punish the whole community? Can they unlock it before the launch since it's a WIP still? I mean I have been a pretty hardcore RTG player the past few years and my biggest complaint was with the 5 minute quarters we can't get realistic stats. Can they change it or do I have to wait another year?

illwill10
06-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Boost your attributes meaning? As shown in the video, the game has "packages" that you can unlock to improve your stats where you spend the XP earned in games and practices. Some of the packages last only a single game, while some apply to your full career as a player.

If you get enough XP on the field, then you could definitely unlock enough "packages" to have a good player even if your team isn't as strong.
I mean if I want to improve Spec Catch, can we improve it
Is the packages we get limited, position specific, or more on one position but not as much on some positions.

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Is the packages we get limited, position specific, or more on one position but not as much on some positions.

The packages you'll be able to "purchase" using your XP earned from practices and games will be tailored specifically to the position you are playing.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 04:02 PM
In-game, yes....there are pre-game entrances where the team runs through a banner painted by the students.

Is it the same banner each tach but different color?
Is there cutscenes where the coach is talking to our players

cdj
06-13-2011, 04:03 PM

They are position based, but each boost improves different sets of ratings. One might boost SPD & ACC, another SPD, AGI, Catch rating, etc.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 04:04 PM
How is practice for non-QBs and Rbs?
It was hard to get any positions points for some positions like DB, WR, LB.

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 04:05 PM
One thing to keep in mind as we look at Road to Glory in NCAA Football 12 is that the mode has seen significant changes in terms of the basics of how it is put together this year. Thinking about it solely in terms of how Road to Glory has been before this year might not give you the best idea of how the mode is going to work in the game come July 12th. Things like quarter lengths might have been an issue in past iterations of Road to Glory, for example, but until you see hands-on how the mode works this year it might be worthwhile to hold off on judging too harshly that the mode is limited to 5 minute quarter lengths.

And if the quarter lengths are still problematic after you all have played Road to Glory in NCAA Football 12, then we can bug Alex about it at that point and see what he can do to help.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 04:09 PM
One thing to keep in mind as we look at Road to Glory in NCAA Football 12 is that the mode has seen significant changes in terms of the basics of how it is put together this year. Thinking about it solely in terms of how Road to Glory has been before this year might not give you the best idea of how the mode is going to work in the game come July 12th. Things like quarter lengths might have been an issue in past iterations of Road to Glory, for example, but until you see hands-on how the mode works this year it might be worthwhile to hold off on judging too harshly that the mode is limited to 5 minute quarter lengths.

And if the quarter lengths are still problematic after you all have played Road to Glory in NCAA Football 12, then we can bug Alex about it at that point and see what he can do to help.

I love the changes to RTG. It still may be my most played mode in NCAA
The thing I dont like about 5 min quarters it is not fun for certain positions. I can deal with and have fun at QB, RB, Dline. It is not have at DB or LB, WR. Mainly because you cant get good stats

sparkdawg777
06-13-2011, 04:11 PM

Yeh I didn't want to sound like the mode turns me off now, it still has MAJOR improvements. But I am one of the few who plays RTG almost more than Dynasty mode and I already know that I will be asking for custom quarter lengths next year. In fact that has to be #1 on the list before any RTG improvements IMO. Imagine if we were limited to 5 minute quarters in Dynasty?

Also wanted to add I know this mode will still be FUN with 5 minute quarters, but it want be as fun with longer quarter lengths.

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 04:12 PM
The thing I dont like about 5 min quarters it is not fun for certain positions. I can deal with and have fun at QB, RB, Dline. It is not have at DB or LB, WR. Mainly because you cant get good stats

I know that there was a focus on making sure that playing positions like DB or LB was fun in Road to Glory in NCAA Football 12. I believe at one of the Community Events everybody was asked to play practices and games using those positions just to make sure that the XP earned looked solid and that it wasn't mind-numbingly boring.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I saw some improvements in terms of earning XP as a MLB during my time with the game. Hopefully the mode has only gotten more improved since we last saw it.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 04:12 PM
How long will it take to be Captain?
I dont want it to be quick, but I dont want to wait until senior season either

illwill10
06-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Well with 5 min Quarters I can play longer HS seasons. Especially DB and LB

champ195797
06-13-2011, 04:18 PM
I love what the team has done to road to glory my only thing is I can't see how you can leave out the under armour and army game I think that is a big part of the transition from highschool to college

AustinWolv
06-13-2011, 04:24 PM
I love what the team has done to road to glory my only thing is I can't see how you can leave out the under armour and army game I think that is a big part of the transition from highschool to college

License rights, for example?

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Another thing to keep in mind would be that this is developer Alex Howell's first year working on making Road to Glory an improved experience for those who have played it before as well as for those who might want to give it a try for the first time in NCAA Football 12. A lot of focus was placed on building a solid base and revamping how attributes are boosted, so on and so forth. As the new formula gets established, then we may be able to get more "special items" into Road to Glory to make it even more authentic.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Another thing to keep in mind would be that this is developer Alex Howell's first year working on making Road to Glory an improved experience for those who have played it before as well as for those who might want to give it a try for the first time in NCAA Football 12. A lot of focus was placed on building a solid base and revamping how attributes are boosted, so on and so forth. As the new formula gets established, then we may be able to get more "special items" into Road to Glory to make it even more authentic.

This is a great first year. I can deal with 5 min quarters. I like the RPG effects. I cant wait until I become captain.

sparkdawg777
06-13-2011, 04:38 PM
This is a great first year. I can deal with 5 min quarters. I like the RPG effects. I cant wait until I become captain.

Yeh I'm the same, but if it is possible it would be great if they could unlock the quarter lengths. If not, I can wait I'll still enjoy it.

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 04:42 PM
How long will it take to be Captain?
I dont want it to be quick, but I dont want to wait until senior season either

From my experience it takes a bit of work to progress through the various levels; as it should, honestly. If you're making plays in the practices and games, however, it shouldn't be as drastic as not reaching "Captain" status until your final year at the school.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Can we play on a TB team in HS

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Can we play on a TB team in HS

The answer is mostly yes. As I said earlier in this thread, you can import your logo, school colors, uniform, stadium, and field to Road to Glory from Teambuilder. This is true for the team you play on as well as the teams you decide to play against in high school.

You cannot, however, import the team roster from Teambuilder into Road to Glory.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 04:51 PM
The answer is mostly yes. As I said earlier in this thread, you can import your logo, school colors, uniform, stadium, and field to Road to Glory from Teambuilder. This is true for the team you play on as well as the teams you decide to play against in high school.

You cannot, however, import the team roster from Teambuilder into Road to Glory.
Dont really care about importing roster.
But how is the Team playbook decided for your team?
I think in previous years who ever was your favorite school you got their playbook

cdj
06-13-2011, 05:11 PM
I saw the question elsewhere (OS), but want to give the answer here as well: You can also import a TB squad (uniforms, stadium, etc.) for your own high school team. The video specifically mentions your foes, but your team has the same option as well.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 05:13 PM
I saw the question elsewhere (OS), but want to give the answer here as well: You can also import a TB squad (uniforms, stadium, etc.) for your own high school team. The video specifically mentions your foes, but your team has the same option as well.

What about playbook

cdj
06-13-2011, 05:15 PM
What about playbook

If you import a TB squad, I believe it brings in whatever you have set for them.

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 05:18 PM
If you import a TB squad, I believe it brings in whatever you have set for them.

Maybe we can have JB ask the question in his interview with Alex? If not, we might be able to send word to Alex and if he's not too busy, we could get a definitive answer on this.

sparkdawg777
06-13-2011, 05:19 PM
How many HS stadiums are there? Also does our TB teams have to use HS stadiums in RTG?

ram29jackson
06-13-2011, 05:21 PM
did they improve QB passing if you try to be a wide receiver? good angles and arcs etc

cdj
06-13-2011, 05:23 PM
How many HS stadiums are there? Also does our TB teams have to use HS stadiums in RTG?

More than one....I believe 3.

As Paakaa suggested, we'll double check with Alex on a few of these questions. From when we first saw the mode to now, some things have changed so I don't want to give a wrong answer on anything. We'll probably see lots of RTG info this week which should help clarify things.

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 05:24 PM

Not sure how many high school stadiums there are this year, though I believe the number is up from what's in NCAA Football 11. When it comes to Teambuilder in Road to Glory, we have some answers but not all of them; none of us at Community Events had access to Teambuilder for anything. If the information does not come out this week--because there is more than just this video planned in terms of Road to Glory PR--we'll try to get that answer for you.

did they improve QB passing if you try to be a wide receiver? good angles and arcs etc

Unfortunately I did not try playing as a wide receiver in the mode; I'll defer to other Community Event guys who may have done so.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 05:25 PM

Maybe we can have JB ask the question in his interview with Alex? If not, we might be able to send word to Alex and if he's not too busy, we could get a definitive answer on this.
I dont think we can have custom playbooks for our Teams, But I would love to set up Wisconsin and set their Pass/Run to 75 Run.

NatureBoy
06-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking foward to it. I played the fool out of RTG the past two years.

SmoothPancakes
06-13-2011, 05:30 PM
I don't have a full write-up ready to go--I might work on putting one together later--but let me quickly address some aspects of Road to Glory mode in NCAA Football 12 that make it improved for me from last year.

I put a decent amount of time into playing RtG as a middle linebacker and the game seems to do a better job of rewarding you for playing your position even if the play doesn't always come your way. I specifically saw points earned for good zone coverage (and points taken away for bad zone coverage, like when you give up a TD) as well as point rewards/penalties for good and bad man coverage.

That is awesome! Sounds exactly like how My Player is set up in NBA 2K11. Just because you aren't necessarily involved in the actual play itself, you can still earn points by playing good zone coverage, playing man defense correctly, etc. I love it!

Can't fuckin' wait! They finally did something to my favorite aspect of sports games. Pretty damn excited to try it out.

Agreed! I love the changes they have made to this and the way they set it up. This is going to be getting a LOT of attention from me.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 05:31 PM
That is awesome! Sounds exactly like how My Player is set up in NBA 2K11. Just because you aren't necessarily involved in the actual play itself, you can still earn points by playing good zone coverage, playing man defense correctly, etc. I love it!

Agreed! I love the changes they have made to this and the way they set it up. This is going to be getting a LOT of attention from me.
IT will get alot of my time in NCAA 12

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 05:38 PM

I will add the caveat that it is still possible to have a play where the offense doesn't go towards your position on the field and you end up with zero XP for that play; there just seems to be a better system in place for rewarding you when you correctly play out your responsibility on a given playcall even if you didn't make the tackle or directly get involved on the play. There was still tuning going on the last time I played in the mode.

SmoothPancakes
06-13-2011, 05:45 PM
I will add the caveat that it is still possible to have a play where the offense doesn't go towards your position on the field and you end up with zero XP for that play; there just seems to be a better system in place for rewarding you when you correctly play out your responsibility on a given playcall even if you didn't make the tackle or directly get involved on the play. There was still tuning going on the last time I played in the mode.

Oh I understand that, and am perfectly fine with that. It's just like that in NBA 2K11. I can earn some XP from setting a screen that opens up my teammate to drive to the basket and score. Then on defense, if my guy stays out of the way and doesn't touch the ball at all, I may not get any points at all on that play. It all works well together and forces you to be a good teammate, helping out by playing your position instead of having to make every single tackle or sack like in the past just to earn points. You have to be a team player in order to actually earn consistently positive points instead of being a ball hog or glory hound who abandons his teammates and his duties on the field so he can go make the tackle every single play.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Will it penalize you for running the wrong route as a WR.
Alot of time when users see the coverage and find a opening we would run a different route so we could get the ball more

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Will it penalize you for running the wrong route as a WR.
Alot of time when users see the coverage and find a opening we would run a different route so we could get the ball more

Again, didn't get the chance to play as a wide receiver in my time with the game. Not sure if any of the Community Event attendees logged time at that position; guess we'll wait and see if somebody weighs in.

cdj
06-13-2011, 06:01 PM
EA SPORTS has posted a new blog in regards to Road to Glory (http://www.ea.com/ncaa-football/blog/find-yourself-on-the-road-to-glory), but simply highlights the released video and discloses there will be more info in the coming weeks.

High school football is where it all starts.

Football is king and in NCAA Football 12 you can take control of a full high school season - where 99% of us saw our football careers peak - before storming big time college ball with the new Road to Glory mode. It'll be like your favorite high school football movie, but now you'll find out what happens after graduation. We're looking forward to seeing one of you document a player's career from his senior year of high school, to a Heisman Trophy or two with a BCS Championship thrown in and then rounding things out in Madden NFL 12. Can you win at all levels like this guy (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d811e7740/Pre-WK-1-Jeremy-Shockey-highlights)?

Kirk Herbstreit breaks down Road to Glory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mIWy3sjpU&feature=player_embedded

That’s just the first snap. We’re going to have a lot more on Road to Glory in these final weeks leading up to July 12 (http://www.ea.com/ncaa-football/buy), including more information on the coach-trust system and the new abilities you can unlock for your player.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Is the Erin Andrews and Kirk Herbstreit segments in RTG or has it been removed?

Tarhead10
06-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Might have to try this RTG thing, sounds great!!! I have never done any of the RTG series, so this might be something I can like more about the game...

cdj
06-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Some new Road to Glory screenshots have just been released and you can view them on our NCAA 12 Info Central page (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?332-NCAA-12-Information-Central). Newer images appear towards the top.

ram29jackson
06-13-2011, 06:47 PM
what the heck does J Shockey have to do with this ? LOL

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 07:04 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3530/5830794272_b2f6eca326_o.jpg

This image gives you a good idea of how the screen looks that you'll be monitoring throughout your high school season as you try to get a scholarship offer from a college. Really a big fan of this compared to how it was handled in NCAA Football 11's Road to Glory mode.

PeteyKirch
06-13-2011, 07:06 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3530/5830794272_b2f6eca326_o.jpg

This image gives you a good idea of how the screen looks that you'll be monitoring throughout your high school season as you try to get a scholarship offer from a college. Really a big fan of this compared to how it was handled in NCAA Football 11's Road to Glory mode.

I hope though, you can view more offers than the top 5. Would be nice to see every school that has offered and what not.

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 07:07 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5039/5830246265_e57f0c5eda_o.jpg

Looks like this halfback managed some pretty serious yards on the ground for there only being 5-minute quarter lengths :D.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5269/5830243951_d329c1e3e7_o.jpg

I'm a big fan of Road to Glory using the Dynasty-style hub to navigate in NCAA Football 12 as well. Provides for a solid connection menu-wise throughout the entire game.

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 07:09 PM
I hope though, you can view more offers than the top 5. Would be nice to see every school that has offered and what not.

If I remember correctly, there's no limit to how many scholarship offers you can view on the screen at once; this may just be all of the colleges significantly interested at this time. This is probably fairly early in the high school season, but the player is putting up solid numbers to have such progress towards the scholarships.

joshuahuskers
06-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Still won't set foot in this mode (not my cup of tea), but pretty cool for those of you who enjoy it.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 07:29 PM

Looks like this halfback managed some pretty serious yards on the ground for there only being 5-minute quarter lengths :D.

Especially getting 21 carries

sparkdawg777
06-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Especially getting 21 carries

Yeh but 0 tackles on defense is not a good sign.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Yeh but 0 tackles on defense is not a good sign.
maybe he isnt a good safety.

sparkdawg777
06-13-2011, 08:20 PM
maybe he isnt a good safety.

Lol I hope that's it. I did remember him saying in the video after a few games he was going to focus on HB, so maybe that's what happened?

illwill10
06-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Lol I hope that's it. I did remember him saying in the video after a few games he was going to focus on HB, so maybe that's what happened?
Most likely. I know what positions I am going to play. I wont play both sides for all positions.

souljahbill
06-13-2011, 08:31 PM

It still seems like defense will still be hard to get any kind of stats with. I tried playing as a CB in 11 and they'd never throw my way so I'd end up with no picks, swats, and maybe 2 tackles, at best. Meanwhile, I could get decent stats as a WR pretty easily. I'd like to try defense again but this pic isn't reassuring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

illwill10
06-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Has there been any changes to camera angles for positions

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Has there been any changes to camera angles for positions

Nothing significant that I saw; I played linebacker and defensive back pretty much exclusively in the mode at the Community Events though, so other positions might have seen changes, I don't know for sure.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Nothing significant that I saw; I played linebacker and defensive back pretty much exclusively in the mode at the Community Events though, so other positions might have seen changes, I don't know for sure.

How did the camera look for those positions.
I didnt mind the offensive camera angles, but I didnt really like camera angles for defense

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 08:54 PM
How did the camera look for those positions.

Pretty much the same as last year; above and behind the player you're controlling. I didn't have any problems tracking the plays personally. Didn't have any interceptions in my time playing but definitely had some solid hits to break up passes with my big middle linebacker; that's one of my favorite parts of the new collision and tackling system, actually. Definitely have a better chance of knocking the ball loose for an incompletion if you time your tackles right.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Pretty much the same as last year; above and behind the player you're controlling. I didn't have any problems tracking the plays personally. Didn't have any interceptions in my time playing but definitely had some solid hits to break up passes with my big middle linebacker; that's one of my favorite parts of the new collision and tackling system, actually. Definitely have a better chance of knocking the ball loose for an incompletion if you time your tackles right.
How did you feel blitzing was as a MLB with no suction

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 09:10 PM
How did you feel blitzing was as a MLB with no suction

I managed to get a few sacks and pressures when the playcall was a blitz. One of the things you'll notice with the removal of suction from the gameplay is that movement at the line can be more open; you'll see it when you try to run between tackles as a halfback and you'll see it when you try to get between offensive lineman who are engaged in a block when you're on defense.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I managed to get a few sacks and pressures when the playcall was a blitz. One of the things you'll notice with the removal of suction from the gameplay is that movement at the line can be more open; you'll see it when you try to run between tackles as a halfback and you'll see it when you try to get between offensive lineman who are engaged in a block when you're on defense.
I cant wait to play as a RB and 3-4 OLB since there is no suction. It should be easier to run up the middle and should be the ability to speed rush

illwill10
06-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Is it still easy to get a 5 star ratings?
Has the Erin Andrews segment been removed

OSUCowboyofMD
06-13-2011, 09:49 PM
New high school stadium's and uni's? Nice. I like everything about this feature then implementing them into Madden :)

And can you play day games? Still no commentary?
Also can you play iron-man football in college? Like Owen Marecic did at Stanford?

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Is it still easy to get a 5 star ratings?

Due to the nature of the Community Events and time limitations, I never played a full senior season of the high school period; unfortunately can't answer how easy or difficult it is to get 5-star ratings.

Has the Erin Andrews segment been removed

Again, in the Community Event structure, my focus was primarily on the gameplay elements instead of presentation. I cannot report with 100% certainty whether or not anything with Erin Andrews is still a part of Road to Glory; one of my fellow attendees may be able to give a better answer.

And can you play day games?

Day games during high school? Not sure.

Still no commentary?

I believe it's the same as how the high school playoffs were in NCAA Football 11.

Also can you play iron-man football in college? Like Owen Marecic did at Stanford?

I do not believe so; when you play iron-man in high school, colleges scout you separately for your offensive and defensive positions. As far as I saw, no college scouts you to play both sides of the ball.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Due to the nature of the Community Events and time limitations, I never played a full senior season of the high school period; unfortunately can't answer how easy or difficult it is to get 5-star ratings.

Again, in the Community Event structure, my focus was primarily on the gameplay elements instead of presentation. I cannot report with 100% certainty whether or not anything with Erin Andrews is still a part of Road to Glory; one of my fellow attendees may be able to give a better answer.

Day games during high school? Not sure.

I believe it's the same as how the high school playoffs were in NCAA Football 11.

I do not believe so; when you play iron-man in high school, colleges scout you separately for your offensive and defensive positions. As far as I saw, no college scouts you to play both sides of the ball.
thanks for answering
What was the most tackles you had in a game

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 10:16 PM
What was the most tackles you had in a game

This is one of those little specific details that there's no way in hell I can remember off the top of my head at this point. There's been a whole month since the last Community Event and I played a lot of different modes looking for a lot of different things from the game. Sorry to disappoint!

illwill10
06-13-2011, 10:21 PM
This is one of those little specific details that there's no way in hell I can remember off the top of my head at this point. There's been a whole month since the last Community Event and I played a lot of different modes looking for a lot of different things from the game. Sorry to disappoint!
no problem.
How do you start RTG. Is it similar to previous years or is it different

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 10:24 PM
How do you start RTG. Is it similar to previous years or is it different

I'm confused about what exactly you mean to be asking here. I guess the simplest answer I have is that you select "Road to Glory" from the Main Menu and then you select whether to create a player or use an existing player. If you want something more specific than that, I'll see what I can provide for you.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm confused about what exactly you mean to be asking here. I guess the simplest answer I have is that you select "Road to Glory" from the Main Menu and then you select whether to create a player or use an existing player. If you want something more specific than that, I'll see what I can provide for you.

I mean is it similar where we select name, position, and height & weight, and equipment

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 10:28 PM
I mean is it similar where we select name, position, and height & weight, and equipment

Yes, if you choose to create a player.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Yes, if you choose to create a player.

There is a different way?

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 10:30 PM
There is a different way?

When you begin Road to Glory, you can either create a player or choose to play as an existing player. If you choose to play as an existing player, you start off at the college level. This was also in NCAA Football 11.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 10:34 PM
When you begin Road to Glory, you can either create a player or choose to play as an existing player. If you choose to play as an existing player, you start off at the college level. This was also in NCAA Football 11.

that is what I expected.
Does a create a player for RTG look the same as last year

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Does a create a player for RTG look the same as last year

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this question; do you mean something specific about the player creation in this year's game? I don't pay enough attention to equipment details or anything like that to be altogether too specific about that. If you boot up NCAA Football 11 and look at the things you can do to customize your player for Road to Glory, you're going to see a lot of those same things in NCAA Football 12; there'll just be some new things because stuff like dreads have been added to the game.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Did you use a generic school or a TB team

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Did you use a generic school or a TB team

As mentioned previously, we did not have access to Teambuilder during the Community Events. For the short period of time that I played the high school section of Road to Glory, I just played as a generic school whose details I specified within the game itself.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this question; do you mean something specific about the player creation in this year's game? I don't pay enough attention to equipment details or anything like that to be altogether too specific about that. If you boot up NCAA Football 11 and look at the things you can do to customize your player for Road to Glory, you're going to see a lot of those same things in NCAA Football 12; there'll just be some new things because stuff like dreads have been added to the game.

I mean the look of it. Is it basically the same as last year with a different background.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 11:08 PM
As mentioned previously, we did not have access to Teambuilder during the Community Events. For the short period of time that I played the high school section of Road to Glory, I just played as a generic school whose details I specified within the game itself.

Does the school banners looks the for each school

jaymo76
06-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Still not interested in the mode but it sounds good for all of the people who do like this sort of thing. Enjoy! :)

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 11:10 PM
I mean the look of it. Is it basically the same as last year with a different background.

The look of the create a player screen? It's very similar to how it looked in NCAA Football 11 except within the framework of the new menu interface for NCAA Football 12. If you go to :29 of the video in the first post of this thread, you'll see footage of the team creation screen being used; the create a player screen looks very similar to that except for the options that you use to create your player instead of creating a team.

Paakaa10
06-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Does the school banners looks the for each school

Another small detail question; I don't remember that well enough to give an answer here.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Those are the questions I have for now

rhombic21
06-13-2011, 11:29 PM
I don't really get the draw of this mode. I know that a lot of sports games have some comparable mode now, but I just don't get why people make such a big deal about it. I mean, it looks like they did a couple nice things here, but I still think the game would be better if they took all the time and energy that was associated with this mode and invested it into the traditional modes (dynasty and online).

For instance, as much time as goes into adding some of the features associated with this stuff, I have to imagine that they could have dramatically improved the CPU AI with regards to things like playcalling and on-field control. Or even invested in further developing the coaching carousel feature, or simply added a bunch of "little" features (i.e. in-game saves).

ram29jackson
06-13-2011, 11:41 PM
I don't really get the draw of this mode. I know that a lot of sports games have some comparable mode now, but I just don't get why people make such a big deal about it. I mean, it looks like they did a couple nice things here, but I still think the game would be better if they took all the time and energy that was associated with this mode and invested it into the traditional modes (dynasty and online).

For instance, as much time as goes into adding some of the features associated with this stuff, I have to imagine that they could have dramatically improved the CPU AI with regards to things like playcalling and on-field control. Or even invested in further developing the coaching carousel feature, or simply added a bunch of "little" features (i.e. in-game saves).

simply...people like the virtual reality aspect of games. You can give a guy your name and live vicariously through the character.

rhombic21
06-13-2011, 11:50 PM
I get why it's there, I just think it's a dumb mode and that the game would be deeper and better if, instead of trying to add this RPG mode, they focused on the other modes. Honestly, I always hate to hear when they've spent any time adding something new to this mode, because that means that they didn't spend that time or energy adding something else to the other parts of the game. Whether it be presentation, basic gameplay, online/online dynasty, other features (i.e. custom playbooks and coaching carousel), or things like recruiting and dynasty depth, I just think that the game would be better if they invested all time and energy on RTG stuff in other areas.

illwill10
06-13-2011, 11:51 PM
simply...people like the virtual reality aspect of games. You can give a guy your name and live vicariously through the character.

yeah. agree. For some people like me I want a 1-2 punch with modes. Dynasty being 1 and RTG being 2. I like to switch between modes to keep it fresh. I dont like online, but I know other people do.

th3 last tiger
06-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Sounds to me like they are trying to make it similar to nba 2k11's my player mode with the whole points system.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
06-14-2011, 01:44 AM
I get why it's there, I just think it's a dumb mode and that the game would be deeper and better if, instead of trying to add this RPG mode, they focused on the other modes. Honestly, I always hate to hear when they've spent any time adding something new to this mode, because that means that they didn't spend that time or energy adding something else to the other parts of the game. Whether it be presentation, basic gameplay, online/online dynasty, other features (i.e. custom playbooks and coaching carousel), or things like recruiting and dynasty depth, I just think that the game would be better if they invested all time and energy on RTG stuff in other areas.

opinions... we all have different ones... thats why its there

"E"

psuexv
06-14-2011, 11:16 AM

A ton of people play this mode, they will put time into what is going to sell the game. Remember that probably half of the people that buy this game are kids who could give 2 sh*ts about CPU AI but think it's fun as hell to play for some big time school and pretend they are something. It's business.

psuexv
06-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Paakaa - I know you mentioned that you didn't play on the offensive side of the ball but it sounds like the XP points have been improved so maybe this is taken care of but any thoughts on if for example as a QB if you check down and still complete the pass you get points? Last year if you didn't gain 10 yards on a play you didn't get any points.

Cipher 8
06-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Look a lot better than previous versions of Road to Glory, just another reason to buy the game I guess but I'll be spending most my time on Online Dynasty. Will do at least one RTG playthrough though.

psuexv
06-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Any input if they improved the logic on the schools that offer you a scholarship? Last couple of years if you were a 5 star you basically could go to any school that you want. And we all know that a real high school athlete does not get a ship from every D1 school, especially if the depth chart at that school is full or they have other needs that they need to focus on.

psuexv
06-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Great to see that they streamlined the practices, even though I did as a concept like the practice sessions the transition to them with loading times and lack of gaining points really made them useless.

Paakaa10
06-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Paakaa - I know you mentioned that you didn't play on the offensive side of the ball but it sounds like the XP points have been improved so maybe this is taken care of but any thoughts on if for example as a QB if you check down and still complete the pass you get points? Last year if you didn't gain 10 yards on a play you didn't get any points.

As I said and as you noted, didn't really play much on the offensive side of the ball; I'll defer to somebody else from the Community Events who might have had that experience and might be able to answer that question.

Any input if they improved the logic on the schools that offer you a scholarship? Last couple of years if you were a 5 star you basically could go to any school that you want. And we all know that a real high school athlete does not get a ship from every D1 school, especially if the depth chart at that school is full or they have other needs that they need to focus on.

My experience in the high school section of the mode was limited; I did notice, however, that early on in playing as a Michigan-based high school player most of the interest was coming from that "Great Lakes" region of the country. Obviously too small of a sample size to draw any significant conclusions from, however; sorry I can't provide better information!

Great to see that they streamlined the practices, even though I did as a concept like the practice sessions the transition to them with loading times and lack of gaining points really made them useless.

The loading time was the killer for me; took far too long to load up 5 or 6 practices a week considering the benefit to your player's career.

psuexv
06-14-2011, 11:47 AM
My experience in the high school section of the mode was limited; I did notice, however, that early on in playing as a Michigan-based high school player most of the interest was coming from that "Great Lakes" region of the country. Obviously too small of a sample size to draw any significant conclusions from, however; sorry I can't provide better information!

Awesome - I actually wanted to bring that up but forgot, in regards to geographical areas and pipelines. Good to hear, hopefully the small sample size is legit.

kindella2
06-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Like the additions to this mode. Will definitely be playing it as im waiting for the rosters/coaches to hit the EA locker. I think this is the perfect upgrade for this mode. I would love to actually be able to play both sides and get a scholarship.

Does the weather change during HS games? Always seemed like it was nothing but perfect weather.

OSUCowboyofMD
06-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Like the additions to this mode. Will definitely be playing it as im waiting for the rosters/coaches to hit the EA locker. I think this is the perfect upgrade for this mode. I would love to actually be able to play both sides and get a scholarship.

Does the weather change during HS games? Always seemed like it was nothing but perfect weather.

I agree ^ and can you transfer?!?!
And can you change unis before games?

Paakaa10
06-14-2011, 03:34 PM

I only played one or two high school season games; didn't notice any specific weather in either of them. Doesn't mean that there isn't different types of weather in the game; only that I didn't spend enough time specifically with that in mind to report on it 100%.

can you transfer?!?!

Transfer meaning going to a different college, correct? I didn't specifically check for that; most of my time with Road to Glory was spent from a "testing/tuning perspective" trying to give feedback on the gameplay of the mode. Sorry!

And can you change unis before games?

I'm a little foggy on this; I seem to remember switching Oklahoma State--who I was playing for with my MLB--to their black uniforms for our Alamo Bowl game at year's end. But I'm not certain enough about my memory of that to give you a 100% emphatic answer to this.

I feel bad disappointing some of you guys with uncertain answers to your questions here, but if you're asking questions that I don't have a good answer for, feel free to send those questions in during the chat with Alex Howell tomorrow afternoon. That guy has been living and breathing Road to Glory for basically the entire development cycle of NCAA Football 12, so if your question gets passed along you should get a solid answer. And if you don't get answers to the real hot-button questions you have for this mode in the live chat tomorrow, we'll see if we can pass along questions from the community afterwards; no guarantees though.

AustinWolv
06-14-2011, 03:42 PM

Absolutely agreed.

illwill10
06-16-2011, 01:41 PM
I am currently setting up my HS Teams
How many difficulty levels are there for HS teams
I sae 4th in the RTG vid. I want to know how to set up my opponents

cdj
06-17-2011, 12:47 AM
I am currently setting up my HS Teams
How many difficulty levels are there for HS teams
I sae 4th in the RTG vid. I want to know how to set up my opponents

I am not 100%, but I believe that you set them 1-10 (or whatever season length you designated). 1 being the toughest, and higher being easier. Again, I did not play around with that part of it, but my memory wants to think I saw or heard that set-up.

JBHuskers
06-17-2011, 01:00 AM
I am not 100%, but I believe that you set them 1-10 (or whatever season length you designated). 1 being the toughest, and higher being easier. Again, I did not play around with that part of it, but my memory wants to think I saw or heard that set-up.

Yeah there are 10 levels.

illwill10
06-17-2011, 09:34 AM
So if you have 10 games, you can arrange the toughest to the worst from 10 to 1. Okay. Later I will rearrange my HS Teams

JBHuskers
06-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Have everything confirmed, and my Road To Glory blog and Q&A will be out Monday morning.

illwill10
06-17-2011, 04:20 PM
cant wait to read

Cipher 8
06-18-2011, 01:55 PM
So you can play Ironman football in High School but not College? I can't be the next Owen Marecic?

I think what would make this RTG mode unique is the ability to be a two-way player in big-time college football. There have been a few — Michigan's Charles Woodson and Ohio State's Chris Gamble — but Marecic as a fullback and inside linebacker, perhaps the two most physical positions in football, takes the cake.

I would love to be able to play both offense and defense as long as you got a high enough caliber star rating in high school. Maybe some schools would only recruit you to play offense while others would recruit you to play defense and then one school, maybe a smaller school recruits you to play both. I would definitely take the chance to play both.

Cipher 8
06-18-2011, 02:05 PM

Do you understand how games are made? There are teams of developers (designers, programmers, and artists) and each 'team' or group works on a different section of the game. Then they must report to the lead designers and producers, aka the head honchos, to make sure they are on track with meeting the design document features that they came up with and decided on at the very beginning of the process.

So for one team of game developers to be working on this mode does not take away from other modes polish or features because there's still another team working on those other features at the same time. It's not like they put aside Dynasty and stop working on that to work on RTG.

JBHuskers
06-18-2011, 02:18 PM
LOL there isn't an added RPG mode. If people actually read the articles, there are RPG elements that added into Road to Glory this year. :fp: :sf:

JBHuskers
06-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Do you understand how games are made? There are teams of developers (designers, programmers, and artists) and each 'team' or group works on a different section of the game. Then they must report to the lead designers and producers, aka the head honchos, to make sure they are on track with meeting the design document features that they came up with and decided on at the very beginning of the process.

So for one team of game developers to be working on this mode does not take away from other modes polish or features because there's still another team working on those other features at the same time. It's not like they put aside Dynasty and stop working on that to work on RTG.

BTW, you're completely right and actually understand the process.

rhombic21
06-19-2011, 08:47 AM

So you're telling me that there is NO WAY they could pull people off RTG and have them work on other features? For instance, look at the coaching carousel feature. It's a good first step, I think we all agree, but there are also a lot of exciting ways it could be expanded. You're telling me that NONE of the people who worked on RTG could have worked on those parts of that feature? You're telling me that NONE of those people could have worked on adding some of Madden's features (dynamic ratings, player tendencies, additional QB ratings, for example)? You're telling me that NONE of the people who EA assigned to work on RTG could have worked on gameplay or presentation? That the only options were to have them work on RTG or to fire them?

souljahbill
06-19-2011, 10:47 AM
RTG was going to be in the game, like it or not so they staffed accordingly. Having more people in any particular area doesn't mean you'd get more stuff or better implemented stuff. Eventually you'll have to many hands in the cookie jar if you just throw a million people into one thing to get more out of it.

rhombic21
06-19-2011, 11:00 AM
RTG was going to be in the game, like it or not so they staffed accordingly. Having more people in any particular area doesn't mean you'd get more stuff or better implemented stuff. Eventually you'll have to many hands in the cookie jar if you just throw a million people into one thing to get more out of it.
Look, I understand why RTG is in the game, from a commercial/business standpoint. What I am saying is that I think the other parts of the game (dynasty and online) would be better if they didn't have an RTG mode, or, at the very least, didn't continue to spend resources to add onto that mode.

There are lots of features that could have been added to the game, but didn't. And there are other features that have to be introduced gradually over time because they just don't have the development time to do it all at once and ensure that they get the kinks worked out. That's part of the reality of game development. Limited time and staff (and technological resources) means that some things end up on the cutting room floor. For every X amount of development resources, you can only get Y amount of improvement to the game.

So what we're debating about here is whether the stuff they added to RTG was better than the stuff that they could have added in other areas. I say no, mostly because I have no interest in that mode at all.

I'm not saying that I hate the game or don't understand why they made the decisions they did. What I'm saying is that I would prefer it if they did something else.

souljahbill
06-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Even if they added the kitchen sink into dynasty and online, those that actually do play RTG would bitch and complain that nothing was added just like people are bitching and complaining that nothing is being added to Teambuilder, even though not everyone uses that either. I'm sure the Teambuilder people can just as easily say, "Why do we need team entrances for big schools but my created school can't even have another pair of pants? Devote resources to what I like, not to what other people may like." Everyone won't be 100% happy. Some things win, some things lose. That's how it is.

Cipher 8
06-19-2011, 01:08 PM
BTW, you're completely right and actually understand the process.

I should if I'm thinking about going to school for it. ;)

So you're telling me that there is NO WAY they could pull people off RTG and have them work on other features? No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying they have teams working on different parts of the game and there's always someone working on the parts you like. Probably even more people considering Dynasty and such are the games biggest feature in many ways.

For instance, look at the coaching carousel feature. It's a good first step, I think we all agree, but there are also a lot of exciting ways it could be expanded. You're telling me that NONE of the people who worked on RTG could have worked on those parts of that feature? You're telling me that NONE of those people could have worked on adding some of Madden's features (dynamic ratings, player tendencies, additional QB ratings, for example)? You're telling me that NONE of the people who EA assigned to work on RTG could have worked on gameplay or presentation? That the only options were to have them work on RTG or to fire them?

There are a lot of ideas and features discussed and brought up at the beginning of the process. You can dream big but they must keep their ambitions within their capabilities and resources. Even the best game ideas can fail if they don’t have a realistic plan to translate them from design document to the screen. The project's management and those with leadership roles (lead designers and exec. producers) have to make a realistic plan and are the ones to decide what they think will help keep the game on schedule and under budget. It's not as simple as coming up with an idea that would make the game better and integrating it to the screen.

One of the most crucial parts of the game development process is the integration process. Where it goes from idea to an actual feature in game. Where the artists, programmers, and designers bring their individual components together, and test how they work in the context of the original design proposal. Combining the code and art at appropriate production milestones, testing and tracking bugs, and troubleshooting any design issues that arise and changing them if that's what they need to do (tweaking). This is where features get cut, and release dates are made or broken. They only have so much time to make, test, and polish the game so they have to decide which features not only fit into the budget but can be completed in time. Those that don't make the cut go on the waiting block. This is especially true for iterative titles such as NCAA and Madden who don't have the typical 2-3 year release window. They must pump out a game every year and make it have enough features and improvements from the last so the consumers want to buy it.

Hence, you see first steps with new features such as Coaching Carousel and then you see them adding to and improving features such as Road to Glory the next year (or putting it off for a year or two sometimes). I think their goal was to touch on every aspect of the game this year. Leaving RTG alone and not improving it was just not an option for them. Whether you or I or anyone else plays it as much as other game modes is not a factor. If they wanted to improve everything then they needed to work on RTG too. That or take it out which would have been bad for the thousands of fans who enjoy those modes.

JBHuskers
06-19-2011, 01:50 PM
It's really a mute point to argue about it as Cipher said it's not taking away from another area to work on new features for RTG.

EA has data for EVERY SINGLE BUTTON YOU PUSH, let alone how many people play a certain mode. Obviously, there is enough data to suggest making a major upgrade to RTG was feasible. Obviously, remember just because people on message boards to play the mode a lot, those people make up 5-10% of the entire lot. And from the sounds of it there are a good amount of people within that 5-10% that do play it.

So again, arguing about the feasibility of upgrading this feature is basically a selfish argument just because one person or one group of people in a pocket don't play it.

JBHuskers
06-19-2011, 01:50 PM
I should if I'm thinking about going to school for it. ;)

Well played :D

Jayrah
06-19-2011, 02:36 PM
I think that the way CC and all the other stuff has been implemented, people will be completely satisfied for a year, and that really is the main goal they need to achieve. The other thing about all this stuff as you know, is that on a yearly title they NEED something to add next year, so gradual investments to improve the game is the way they make their paycheck. Like you said Rhombic, it's the way of the gaming world. RTG is a feature that really didn't take any resources after year one cause nothing was done to it. But there happened to be a guy that actually wanted to work on it, so that was his job coming in, and that's his baby. I'm really not sure that if they didn't do anything to RTG mode this year that A: they actually could've done anything else to other parts of the game, and B: they would've tried to do anything else with the extra resources. Mainly because of time constraints, but also because I just am not sure that these "extra" resources could go anywhere else other than the mode they were designed for. Remember this is a one man show on the majority of the feature.

But I guess MY main arguments against what you're suggesting in the way of cutting one mode to help another are that lots of players play the game for that mode AND there are still going to be things that don't make the games final development! And to those that play for the mode itself, it's absolutely not fair to say that the game mode that we play the most is the most important. So your debate about whether the stuff is better than what could've, maybe been added is an unfair debate. It's not ridiculous, but it just isn't fair. RTG hasn't been touched since its inception, so it's absolutely worth the work that was put into it. Same as any mode or thing that hasn't been touched but is still in the game, it needs to be worked on. And I personally think they did it the right way, by bringing on a guy strictly for that mode, as opposed to taking away staff hours and production to other parts of the game. So if you think about it, we really didn't lose much, if anything, in the way of production and development for 12.

rhombic21
06-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Just to clarify, I know that what I was saying is selfish, and that it's a moot point because they weren't going to do it due to the commercial popularity of the feature. All I'm saying is that I don't like the mode, and I wish they would take the resources that they spend on improvements to RTG and spend them on other things. That's it. I never said that any parts of the game weren't getting worked on at all. What I said was that there are tradeoffs. There's a tradeoff in developing RTG against being able to develop other things that are not RTG. If there was no RTG mode, then all of the other teams would have fewer competing resources to split the development "pie" with, so to speak, and would thus have more staff, man-hours, and other resources to develop their own features. In a situation like NCAA, which is an annual release with a firm date that must be met, those tradeoffs are probably magnified because they have to be sure to get the game done on time.

I don't really care if it's fair to the people that play RTG. That's not my point. I think it's a dumb mode that isn't worth developing any further. That's my opinion. I'm not saying that anybody has to listen to it, or that EA would make more money if they listened to it. Since I don't work for EA, I frankly don't care whether they make any money on the game or not. Their profits are not my concern. All that I care about is whether the game is fun for ME to play. And as a customer, that's all that I really SHOULD care about. I don't spend my $60 so that OTHER people can have fun with their game. I spend it so that I can have fun with MY copy of the game.

I'm just saying that if you give me a choice between further developing RTG and even the most minor of other features (like the ability to make custom packages, for example), I'm going to choose the other feature every time.

illwill10
06-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Have everything confirmed, and my Road To Glory blog and Q&A will be out Monday morning.

So we can expect the Q&A tomorrow morning

JBHuskers
06-19-2011, 08:48 PM
So we can expect the Q&A tomorrow morning

Q&A and my thoughts will all be in one article tomorrow morning sometime.

illwill10
06-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Cant wait to read.

psuexv
06-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Question I thought of after reading JB's article. Are there any restrictions to what position you play based on your size? If I'm 5'10" 197lbs can I make myself a DL or vice versa 6'5" 295lbs can I be a safety or wide receiver?

JBHuskers
06-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Question I thought of after reading JB's article. Are there any restrictions to what position you play based on your size? If I'm 5'10" 197lbs can I make myself a DL or vice versa 6'5" 295lbs can I be a safety or wide receiver?

Almost certain there are none.

illwill10
06-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Is the Erin Andrews segment still there?

JBHuskers
06-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Is the Erin Andrews segment still there?

Nope.

illwill10
06-20-2011, 09:43 AM
That is what I expected.
I read that there is improved Presentation, like replays, Montages, and vids. Is there commentary

JBHuskers
06-20-2011, 09:45 AM
That is what I expected.
I read that there is improved Presentation, like replays, Montages, and vids. Is there commentary

No commentary.

illwill10
06-20-2011, 09:48 AM
How is playbooks assigned in HS TB season

JBHuskers
06-20-2011, 09:48 AM
How is playbooks assigned in HS TB season

What do you mean?

illwill10
06-20-2011, 09:49 AM
I mean When you start your HS season with all TB teams, Is the playbooks auto-assigned or can you pick one on the TB webpage

JBHuskers
06-20-2011, 09:51 AM
I mean When you start your HS season with all TB teams, Is the playbooks auto-assigned or can you pick one on the TB webpage

The CPU teams will have a set playbook assigned to them, don't think you can change that.

illwill10
06-20-2011, 09:53 AM
What about our teams. Can we pick a playbook on the website and can we set up pass/rush ratio and will it stick

JBHuskers
06-20-2011, 10:08 AM
What about our teams. Can we pick a playbook on the website and can we set up pass/rush ratio and will it stick

Since you're just the player, you don't have control on the playbook. I'll double check, but I'm sure this is the case.

cdj
06-20-2011, 04:50 PM
That is what I expected.

I double checked on this....there is an option to turn Commentary ON in Road to Glory.

illwill10
06-20-2011, 05:20 PM
I double checked on this....there is an option to turn Commentary ON in Road to Glory.

That is great to hear.

illwill10
06-20-2011, 06:28 PM

I am definitely turning it on

Deuce
06-20-2011, 06:32 PM
That's odd that there's an option to turn it 'on'. Not that it matters but it seems like it would be automatic with the option to turn it off. Is there a reason why commentary isn't automatic?

illwill10
06-20-2011, 06:35 PM
That's odd that there's an option to turn it 'on'. Not that it matters but it seems like it would be automatic with the option to turn it off. Is there a reason why commentary isn't automatic?
I think it is not automatic because RTG and SS(superstar) wanted to simulate a realistic experience of a college/pro player with no presentation at all just doing plays. I am glad that presentation

Deuce
06-20-2011, 06:49 PM
That makes sense. Players can't hear the broadcast...ha ha

illwill10
06-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Can you be Kr/PR as a WR in HS

morsdraconis
06-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Can you be Kr/PR as a WR in HS

Probably not unless you have the skill sets that lend to being the best return man on the team.

illwill10
06-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Probably not unless you have the skill sets that lend to being the best return man on the team.

Well a chance if you are a speed demon

illwill10
06-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Is GameTracks in RTG?
I would love to see montages of my player doing great or even doing horribly

JBHuskers
06-21-2011, 04:50 PM
It's a little different. It's called "Legend's Spotlight"

illwill10
06-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Okay. Is it similar to it or is it different

MArmes
06-24-2011, 07:40 PM
I have a question but not about Road to Glory. instead about the Dynasty mode, can u do a dynasty with more than one team on the same file?

cdj
06-24-2011, 07:42 PM
I have a question but not about Road to Glory. instead about the Dynasty mode, can u do a dynasty with more than one team on the same file?

I believe that you can still control up to 12 teams in a non-Online Dynasty.

Rudy
06-25-2011, 08:33 PM
I just fired up a RTG campaign this morning. Played all 4 high school tournament games and won all four (on Varsity - nice to dominate). Became a 5* RB and chose Georgia. It was fun to rip off a bunch of games really quick. Haven't actually done any practising.

I've never played these individual modes before but I might have to give this a shot when I only have a small amount of time to play.

cdj
06-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Rudy - I find RTG to be beneficial in terms of not only quick games, but also for practicing specific game elements. IE playing as a RB to work on reading & following blocks, WR for User Catching, LB for tackling, DB for Swats/INTs, DL for getting off blocks and to the QB. That aspect of RTG (and similar modes in other sports games) always seems underrated IMO.)

illwill10
06-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Rudy - I find RTG to be beneficial in terms of not only quick games, but also for practicing specific game elements. IE playing as a RB to work on reading & following blocks, WR for User Catching, LB for tackling, DB for Swats/INTs, DL for getting off blocks and to the QB. That aspect of RTG (and similar modes in other sports games) always seems underrated IMO.)
Yeah I cant wait. Now I am actually excited to play Practice now. I liked learning how to follow blocks. Learning how to read coverages. Learning how read offensive plays

illwill10
06-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Couple of RTG questions:
1. Is it different in Practice for Non QB and RB, Dline positions? It was hard for CB because QB doesnt throw your way, so I was forced to try and get blocked so I can do a dline move.
2. Is there a limit on how many XP packs you can unlock

cdj
06-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Couple of RTG questions:
1. Is it different in Practice for Non QB and RB, Dline positions? It was hard for CB because QB doesnt throw your way, so I was forced to try and get blocked so I can do a dline move.
2. Is there a limit on how many XP packs you can unlock

JB might be best suited to answer, but I'll try.

- The last two years I only played RTG as QB, RB, & DL so I can't weigh in on how it has been improved for other positions.

- I don't think so. I think if you can afford it, it's yours. Though, the packs have lengths assigned to them ranging from one game (technically one week) to entire career, so you won't keep all that you buy.

illwill10
06-25-2011, 09:15 PM
JB might be best suited to answer, but I'll try.

- I don't think so. I think if you can afford it, it's yours. Though, the packs have lengths assigned to them ranging from one game (technically one week) to entire career, so you won't keep all that you buy.

Can you have multiple packs at the same time? It might seem like the same question, but I would like to know
So you cant different packs at the same time. If so, I hope there is alot of packs available

cdj
06-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Can you have multiple packs at the same time? It might seem like the same question, but I would like to know
So you cant different packs at the same time. If so, I hope there is alot of packs available

I'm pretty sure you can have several at the same time. Obviously if you buy one pack that lasts your entire career, you can still buy others. (Maybe there is a limit on one game packs? I'll see if I can find out on Monday for you.)

There are a LOT of packs. IIRC, each are based on position and then rarity. Each week the packs listed in the store change. (I think you only see five or six each week.) If there is one you want, you better buy it when you see it - especially if it is on sale.

illwill10
06-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Not a RTG question, but it is mainly for my RTG QB:
What ProStyle playbook passes alot, but has some QB running plays?
I wanted my QB to go to Arkansas, but I dont think they have some Qb running plays

Rudy
06-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Does RTG use the player lock camera when you play as a defensive player? I wish you could lock that camera so it wouldn't spin around.

champ195797
06-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Are you able to control wich unis you were this year

MArmes
06-30-2011, 02:34 PM
can you make alternate jerseys for ur high school team?

JBHuskers
06-30-2011, 02:58 PM
can you make alternate jerseys for ur high school team?

Nope, just whatever is home and away for defaults or your TeamBuilder unis.

ram29jackson
07-01-2011, 03:10 PM
@JBHuskers

about your road to glory media stuff :D

:D man , what the heck are you doing?:D

white numbers on a white jersey?:D
i'm so, so ashamed :fp: :D