PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings per Position

RcSinger
06-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Something I have somewhat struggled with is knowing which ratings matter most for each position. I have read the Demon Defense and have noted those ratings, but what about Corners and Safteys? Offensive players?

How does AWR effect each position.

I have changed players in the depth chart with higher ratings but a lower OVR and AWR and I get burned bad when doing so.

Just wondering if I could get a little heads up on how to structure my depth chart and/or Formation Subs

Rudy
06-12-2011, 07:45 PM
This thread below may help.

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?1793-JeffHCross-Project-1-How-is-OVR-determined

Here is the direct link showing exactly how the overall rating for each player was determined. It will give the exact result more than 95% of the time and when it's wrong it's off by one point. Awareness does affect the overall rating to varying degrees but each position is different.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArB9QSYxv2ZGdG0yeldBdHI1T2RocHhVTnBrajJqR mc&hl=en#gid=0

JeffHCross
06-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Yeah, c'mon now. Go look at my work that Rudy did for me. ;)

RcSinger
06-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Interesting and so useful. But explain exactly what the Constant coefficient means and how exactly the calculation is performed.

EDIT:

I think I figured it out

Multiply each rating by it's coefficient value

Then add all results including the Negative constant coefficient to get an OVR result.

Some have indicated that the OVR is misleading for certain positions, for instance: a CB with great SPD, MCV, and AGI but an OVR of 88 is going to play better than one with lesser individual ratings but a 92 OVR

JeffHCross
06-12-2011, 09:35 PM
I think I figured it out

Multiply each rating by it's coefficient value

Then add all results including the Negative constant coefficient to get an OVR result.I haven't looked at Rudy's spreadsheet in a while, but that should be right.

As for the OVR being misleading ... I wouldn't say it's fair to say it's misleading. But that it might not be consistent with what you want at that position. For example, Agility is like 7th on SS, and Play Recognition is 5th. When I ran a 4-2-5, I found Play Recognition to be one of my most important factors, because it put my two strong safeties in the right spot against different play calls. It did me no good to have two safeties in the box if they were constantly falling for play action. So if I were to customize OVR, I would bump up the importance of PRC.

Agility is an interesting one, because of the changes to Locomotion. In NCAA 11, Agility suddenly became one of the most important ratings for a defensive player, especially a defensive back. With low agility, your ability to keep up with an offensive player on cuts or movement was incredibly reduced. So Agility is something I certainly keep my eye on, even though it's not a major factor in OVR.

Rudy
06-13-2011, 04:51 AM
You got the formula right. And Jeff is right that the overall rating might not be 100% what you want in a player but at least you know how they got it.

RcSinger
06-13-2011, 11:28 AM
What specific positions should you look at ratings stronger than the OVR and whAt ratings are they?

Oneback
06-13-2011, 11:58 AM
That is largely dependant on what you are trying to accomplish at that position, your scheme would be heavily factored at that point.