PDA

View Full Version : MaddenNews.com "Behind Closed Doors" Video of NCAA Football 12 at E3

Paakaa10
06-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Coach Ruckus of MaddenNews.com has uploaded these two videos featuring footage of NCAA Football 12 shot behind closed doors at E3 to YouTube this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRSQDvSmynY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJJeD5NACwI

Decent amount of presentation and gameplay footage from a match-up between Cal and USC from the quick "skip-through" I did just now. The game is being played on PlayStation 3.

NOTE: If you watch at :41 seconds into the first video, you will see that this is being played on Varsity difficulty. The user is playing as Cal.

xMrHitStickx904
06-11-2011, 11:25 AM
yeah, you can tell it's varsity. funny thing is, the guy playing with Cal probably needed it on varsity lol.

Deuce
06-11-2011, 11:49 AM
USC was the CPU, correct? The CPU running game looked pretty damn good to be on varsity.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
06-11-2011, 11:54 AM
i watched this... thinking it was good play by the CPU, then realized like stated above it was on Varsity... and now... im kind of excited to see how tough this plays and feels when i get a controller in my hand... thats darn skippy for varsity...

"E"

JBHuskers
06-11-2011, 03:26 PM
USC was the CPU, correct? The CPU running game looked pretty damn good to be on varsity.

Yeah the regular run game is good, it's just the spread offensive run game that needs the work.

Deuce
06-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Yeah the regular run game is good, it's just the spread offensive run game that needs the work.

Is that something they can fix with a tuner or will it require a patch? Is it even on EA's radar?

What does everyone think is causing this? It's strange b/c HUM spread O seems to be fine from what everyone has said.

Flav
06-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Lighting looks really really good.

ram29jackson
06-11-2011, 04:37 PM

needs the work ? in other words it will not be good when game comes out...?

Jayrah
06-11-2011, 05:35 PM
needs the work ? in other words it will not be good when game comes out...?

Ram you already know the answer to this. It's been stated by everyone who has gone to any of the builds that the spread O run game is not up to snuff. Sliders will help, but it's needs more work.

Paakaa10
06-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Is that something they can fix with a tuner or will it require a patch? Is it even on EA's radar?

I don't know with 100% certainty whether it can be fixed completely either through tuner sets or a patch; I would never speak for the team on that matter. I would imagine that if the community--or EA SPORTS themselves--feel like the CPU shotgun running game in the final code needs help, then it'll be something that gets attention to try and correct what people feel is lacking.

I know in my feedback that I commented about CPU shotgun running needing some attention, so it's on EA's radar.

What does everyone think is causing this? It's strange b/c HUM spread O seems to be fine from what everyone has said.

It's a lot of code--layers upon layers of code--that make the game work the way it does. Sometimes one little tweak can have unexpected results further down the line. Not saying I know this is 100% the circumstance, but one thing I've learned from attending Community Events this year is that software design and development has got to be frustrating when you consider all the small changes that can have unexpected and unintended impacts.

There's also the consideration of human control and input versus how the CPU plays the game, which is by "obeying" what it is "programmed" to do. A human player can adapt and react to the way the game is put together and avoid getting caught up in some of the programming "errors" that might find their way into the game. The CPU, on the other hand, has less capacity to be that reactive.

Ram you already know the answer to this. It's been stated by everyone who has gone to any of the builds that the spread O run game is not up to snuff. Sliders will help, but it's needs more work.

I'm still holding out my final judgment until I see the build of the game that ends up on the final retail disc. It's been nearly a month since I last played a version of the game, and for those three days that we were in the studio there were new builds being sent down from the developers every day. Based on reactions from people who played the game at E3, I wouldn't be comfortable saying that what I played last month is necessarily a 100% reflection of what we're getting in the stores on July 12th; people are still having varying experiences.

I really am looking forward to the demo coming out and the final game being released. I definitely enjoyed my time with the game at the studio and it has been really difficult to play more than a quarter or two of NCAA Football 11 since. Hopefully that's the experience you all have with the game; regardless of whether that's the case or not, we'll all be here talking about the game and making suggestions for what needs to change/be fixed/whatever in hopes that the inevitable software updates and tuning sets can help anything that isn't "up to snuff."

JeffHCross
06-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Is that something they can fix with a tuner or will it require a patch? Is it even on EA's radar?It could possibly be fixed by either, and it's certainly on their radar. The problem, as Paakaa outlined, is determining what is "the" cause. The easy fix would be to make tweaks to the overall running game (like our sliders do), but that has repercussions for other areas of the game, and obviously the non-spread running game.

Deuce
06-11-2011, 07:05 PM
It could possibly be fixed by either, and it's certainly on their radar. The problem, as Paakaa outlined, is determining what is "the" cause. The easy fix would be to make tweaks to the overall running game (like our sliders do), but that has repercussions for other areas of the game, and obviously the non-spread running game.

Ya, I've been trying to figure out the cause but I haven't come up with any ideas. It is interesting that Hellisan (?) said he got shredded by Baylor on AA with their QB. I wonder how much an athletic QB has to do with it. Maybe the spread option teams should call plays differently based in the athletic ability of the QB? I have no clue...

JeffHCross
06-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Maybe the spread option teams should call plays differently based in the athletic ability of the QB? I have no clue...I do think, and have for years, that one thing NCAA CPU struggles with is identifying their own offensive strengths. I have no idea if this has changed for this year (simply not enough time with the game to judge), but I can certainly hope there's been a tweak.

Deuce
06-11-2011, 07:15 PM
I do think, and have for years, that one thing NCAA CPU struggles with is identifying their own offensive strengths. I have no idea if this has changed for this year (simply not enough time with the game to judge), but I can certainly hope there's been a tweak.

This problem is interesting...usually someone has a decent solution but this one seems more complex. Nevertheless the game looks great. Hopefully someone can find a simple solution and a tuner/patch can be the solve.

Paakaa10
06-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Ya, I've been trying to figure out the cause but I haven't come up with any ideas. It is interesting that Hellisan (?) said he got shredded by Baylor on AA with their QB. I wonder how much an athletic QB has to do with it. Maybe the spread option teams should call plays differently based in the athletic ability of the QB? I have no clue...

It was Christian McLeod (Bumble14_OS) from OperationSports who cited that experience; Hellisan's reaction to the game was that CPU shotgun running was still weak.

Thus why I'm reticent to say--with 100% certainty--that CPU shotgun running will or won't be an issue come July 12th. I'm at the point where I know what I've seen but I'm waiting to see what we get on the disc.

JBHuskers
06-11-2011, 07:23 PM

This. Not sure if tuners can fix it, but sliders will definitely help.

Deuce
06-11-2011, 07:24 PM
It was Christian McLeod (Bumble14_OS) from OperationSports who cited that experience; Hellisan's reaction to the game was that CPU shotgun running was still weak.

Thus why I'm reticent to say--with 100% certainty--that CPU shotgun running will or won't be an issue come July 12th. I'm at the point where I know what I've seen but I'm waiting to see what we get on the disc.

Oh ok...thanks for the clarification. It does seem to be hit and miss. AA spread could be a lot different than Varsity spread. Who knows???

Deuce
06-11-2011, 07:53 PM
I don't know with 100% certainty whether it can be fixed completely either through tuner sets or a patch; I would never speak for the team on that matter. I would imagine that if the community--or EA SPORTS themselves--feel like the CPU shotgun running game in the final code needs help, then it'll be something that gets attention to try and correct what people feel is lacking.

I know in my feedback that I commented about CPU shotgun running needing some attention, so it's on EA's radar.

It's a lot of code--layers upon layers of code--that make the game work the way it does. Sometimes one little tweak can have unexpected results further down the line. Not saying I know this is 100% the circumstance, but one thing I've learned from attending Community Events this year is that software design and development has got to be frustrating when you consider all the small changes that can have unexpected and unintended impacts.

There's also the consideration of human control and input versus how the CPU plays the game, which is by "obeying" what it is "programmed" to do. A human player can adapt and react to the way the game is put together and avoid getting caught up in some of the programming "errors" that might find their way into the game. The CPU, on the other hand, has less capacity to be that reactive.

I'm still holding out my final judgment until I see the build of the game that ends up on the final retail disc. It's been nearly a month since I last played a version of the game, and for those three days that we were in the studio there were new builds being sent down from the developers every day. Based on reactions from people who played the game at E3, I wouldn't be comfortable saying that what I played last month is necessarily a 100% reflection of what we're getting in the stores on July 12th; people are still having varying experiences.

I really am looking forward to the demo coming out and the final game being released. I definitely enjoyed my time with the game at the studio and it has been really difficult to play more than a quarter or two of NCAA Football 11 since. Hopefully that's the experience you all have with the game; regardless of whether that's the case or not, we'll all be here talking about the game and making suggestions for what needs to change/be fixed/whatever in hopes that the inevitable software updates and tuning sets can help anything that isn't "up to snuff."

Thanks Paakaa! I totally missed this post on my phone.

JeffHCross
06-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Oh ok...thanks for the clarification. It does seem to be hit and miss. AA spread could be a lot different than Varsity spread. Who knows???It did seem to me that my experience playing the CPU was very different from Varsity to AA. There was a lot that improved with AA.

Deuce
06-11-2011, 08:06 PM
It did seem to me that my experience playing the CPU was very different from Varsity to AA. There was a lot that improved with AA.

That's great news...except it could lead to my firing in my cupcake TB dynasty. ;)

xMrHitStickx904
06-11-2011, 08:18 PM
i will say this for the sake of argument, lots of things change from demo to retail. I fired up the NCAA 11 demo and played it just to see what was different from NCAA 11 retail without patches. Immediately, I saw that goal line fades were played entirely different in the game, option hand offs were changed, buzz zones and flats reacted better along with a few other things. Now i'm not saying that we should expect the same change for Shotgun Running come 30 days from now (Only 30 days left, we can do this fellas!) but it's worth mentioning.

baseballplyrmvp
06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
whats up with the play at 2:15 in the second vid?

Rudy
06-11-2011, 09:17 PM
I hate it when Ben says "we never had a tackle button before". I have always used the square button to tackle in NCAA football which WAS the tackle button. I never use the hit stick because I suck at it. It might be tweaked now but they did have it.

gschwendt
06-11-2011, 09:31 PM
I hate it when Ben says "we never had a tackle button before". I have always used the square button to tackle in NCAA football which WAS the tackle button. I never use the hit stick because I suck at it. It might be tweaked now but they did have it.Well, yes & no. I understand what you're saying but :ps3sq:/:360x: were actually the dive button. That button is now for tackle but when necessary the defender will dive after the ball carrier... when not necessary, he will instead square up and try to make the tackle.

illwill10
06-11-2011, 09:34 PM
I am kind of concerned with Game Track. Mainly because every time Ben talked about it, he used the same two lines every time. I know he doesnt want to give some of the lines away. But I hope by the 3rd or 4th game it isnt repetitive

Jayrah
06-12-2011, 02:44 AM
I am kind of concerned with Game Track. Mainly because every time Ben talked about it, he used the same two lines every time. I know he doesnt want to give some of the lines away. But I hope by the 3rd or 4th game it isnt repetitive

Actually the feeling I got was that he was saying that it won't be the same 3 or 4 lines. It can be a simple statement about the run game, or it can be as deep as breaking down individual performances in varying weather conditions. But also you could get as many as 3-4 tracks every game. That to me says there will be a lot of variety in the gametrack.

...That being said, any time there is new commentary spots added, it gets repetitive at some point, because there's just not enough lines to not be so. I just hope that it's a defensive gametrack as well as offensive. And also I am just happy that this made it into the game, because it opens the door for a "Dynasty Gametrack" for '13, with comments about the game, season and careers of Teams, Players and Coaches. That's where it will get good!

Along the same lines (no pun intended), I wish that they would have the guys redo all of their current media. I know it's tedious and stuff, but it would bring a fresh sound to the game. Also it would be nice if they could add a 3rd 'in booth' guy, just as long as it's not Corso. Brock Huard or Jesse Palmer come to mind as good 3rd guys. I don't need a whole lot from them, just some extra bursts of analysis once or twice a drive or something. (They talk a lot more IRL than I would want them to in the game just for a point of reference...qb's always have to get a word in LOL). How bout.....before each 3rd down or something like that.

Jayrah
06-12-2011, 03:18 AM
I hate it when Ben says "we never had a tackle button before". I have always used the square button to tackle in NCAA football which WAS the tackle button. I never use the hit stick because I suck at it. It might be tweaked now but they did have it.

Like G said, this is the dive button as of 11. Your right though, it really should be called a 'wrap up' button, or a 'form tackle' button. When I use this button, I miss even more than with the hit stick. It's gonna be a tough habit to break though, using the hit stick.

Does anyone know if replays can be turned off for 12? I am excited about the extra celebrations and post play stuff (it hasn't changed in NG in that regard), but I hate cutting to a replay and then watching the celebration. I would just rather see them celebrate and go to the replay myself. *I would actually rather the celebration play out first (you know, like real life does) directly after the play and then watch the espn wipes into a game replay like it should, but this isn't the way they seemingly did it.

Tarhead10
06-12-2011, 03:21 PM
At the 5:20 mark in the second video, the TE #80 for Cal runs his own route??? He goes way outside and then cuts back in, but doesnt follow the route highlighted at the line on scrimmage...

morsdraconis
06-12-2011, 03:54 PM
At the 5:20 mark in the second video, the TE #80 for Cal runs his own route??? He goes way outside and then cuts back in, but doesnt follow the route highlighted at the line on scrimmage...

Yes he does. Just that the line drawn for that play has always been wrong.

Tarhead10
06-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Yes he does. Just that the line drawn for that play has always been wrong.

Gotcha...However if he cuts quicker and goes inside he is wide open underneath the zone at about 7-10 yds...

JeffHCross
06-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Gotcha...However if he cuts quicker and goes inside he is wide open underneath the zone at about 7-10 yds...True, but that's not the play.