PDA

View Full Version : Don't text in a movie theatre in Texas

psuexv
06-08-2011, 08:05 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-To-Win-By-The-Alamo-Draft-House-PSA-Team-25096.html

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/25096/alamo_draft_house_25096.jpg

How To Win: By The Alamo Draft House PSA Team
discussion3 Comments published: 2011-06-07 13:50:25 Author: Will LeBlanc
How To Win: By The Alamo Draft House PSA Team image
I’ve become pretty familiar with what Austin’s theater/cafe, the Alamo Draft House, has to offer for quite some time now. However, I had never heard about the theater’s long-standing hatred of movie-talkers and texters, which according to a Yahoo! report, has been well documented over the past 14 years that the establishment has been open.

Owner Tim League has been producing in-house PSAs warning against the dangers of talking during a film since 1998 and hasn’t let up since. Now his most recent work of art found its way online and it should be scooped up by every theater in the country to help thwart these unruly ruiners of quality cinema. A woman (by the sounds of her maybe I should say ‘girl’...or simply ‘idiot’) was apparently booted from the cinema after multiple warnings about texting during the film and like any fool who can’t accept that they were in the wrong, she was none too pleased about not finishing the movie AND losing her ticket cost.

So what does her stupid ass do? She calls the Draft House and leaves a “nasty” (read: foolish) voicemail that League molded into the best anti-texting PSA I’ve seen to date. That may be my vindictive, hateful self loving that someone so stupid is being so widely humiliated, but nonetheless the message is strong and applies to theaters everywhere. As of right now the view count is over 420,000, so hopefully some execs at Regal and AMC get in touch with the ADH and get permission to show this in their theaters. Maybe call your local theaters and let them know that you’d appreciate a stance this hard on movie-talkers and texters.

For now, scope out the video below and enjoy knowing that you (hopefully) are better than at least one person in this country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs&feature=player_embedded

souljahbill
06-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Exactly how does texting hurt anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psuexv
06-08-2011, 09:09 AM

Depending on when, how and where it's annoying as hell. I hate it when I'm at the grocery store and some idiot is taking up the aisle walking slow or getting in my f'in way because their head is buried in their phone.

Or while they are driving... some dude actually almost ran a red light and smacked me just this morning and as I drove by flipping him off he wasn't even paying attention.. head down texting

morsdraconis
06-08-2011, 09:17 AM
That is definitely win. Fuck those people. If you want to fuckin' socialize, get the fuck out of the theater.

morsdraconis
06-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Or while they are driving... some dude actually almost ran a red light and smacked me just this morning and as I drove by flipping him off he wasn't even paying attention.. head down texting

All cars should have anti-phone devices in them standard and you should have to pay extra to have them removed or have to have a car that integrates the phone into the car stereo system so that you can talk to people through that. This driving while texting/talking shit has got to stop.

cdj
06-08-2011, 09:26 AM
All cars should have anti-phone devices in them standard and you should have to pay extra to have them removed or have to have a car that integrates the phone into the car stereo system so that you can talk to people through that. This driving while texting/talking shit has got to stop.

So even passengers can't use phones in cars? Or lost drivers can't use them either? Good idea in theory, not so much in actual execution. I agree that texting while driving is horrible (I've seen it on the interstate :(), but there has to be a better solution than eliminating all phone use in a moving vehicle.

People either know how to drive responsibly or they don't. If it's not phones, it'll be the radio, newspaper, putting on make-up, eating, day-dreaming, or something else distracting them. It's not the phone driving horribly or distracting the theater, it's the person using it.

psuexv
06-08-2011, 09:33 AM
It's not the phone driving horribly or distracting the theater, it's the person using it.

And hear in lies the main issue. It's the same ol' argument over and over again. Guns don't kill people, McDonalds didn't make you fat...etc, etc. It's the people. People are rude, lazy.... I could go on and on. Mother f'ers don't even hold the door open for people anymore. I don't know how many times I've gone to drop my son off at daycare and I'll be a couple of steps from the door and some ignorant parent let's the door slam in my face.... or they come out of daycare and let their kids run to the car....it's a busy parking lot and one day their kids going to get tagged.

psuexv
06-08-2011, 09:36 AM
So even passengers can't use phones in cars? Or lost drivers can't use them either? Good idea in theory, not so much in actual execution.

While I agree with you that having a phone is convenient for these situations, it wasn't all too long ago that we didn't have phones and people got along just fine. Automobiles have been around for what close to 80 years and cell phones have really only been popular for 10 at the most. :dunno:

What kills me is when it's like 7 in the morning driving to work and these people are on their phones... who the heck are you talking to?

morsdraconis
06-08-2011, 09:43 AM
While I agree with you that having a phone is convenient for these situations, it wasn't all too long ago that we didn't have phones and people got along just fine. Automobiles have been around for what close to 80 years and cell phones have really only been popular for 10 at the most. :dunno:

What kills me is when it's like 7 in the morning driving to work and these people are on their phones... who the heck are you talking to?

Thank you.

If you want to use the cellphone in the car, you need to be FORCED to use the hands free shit (which sucks, btw, cause it's hard as hell to understand people sometimes). In doing so, FAR less people are going to use their cellphones in a vehicle and therefore, by proxy, drive at least a little bit better. The amount of car accidents caused by cellphone usage is ridiculous (enough for states like New Jersey to start fining people $1,000+ if they're caught using it on the freeway).

Mythbusters proved, without a doubt, that using a cellphone while driving is just as (or more) dangerous than driving intoxicated and that's illegal. Driving with a cellphone in your hand needs to be just as illegal. If the conversation is that important, pull off the road for 5 minutes and talk.

iBrandon
06-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Hmmm... So driving with a cell phone in your hand (not talking about texting, just talking) is as dangerous as being drunk? In that case, maybe we shouldn't be allowed to drink (non alcoholic beverages) eat, mess with our radio, or iPod and people should be allowed to have their dogs in the front seat with them. I still don't understand how having a dog in the loose in the front seat with you is not against the law. All it would take is for the dog to jump in your lap while driving and cause a wreak.

JBHuskers
06-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a theater it's annoying because it's dark you have this f'n glow right beside you.

psusnoop
06-08-2011, 01:19 PM
And hear in lies the main issue. It's the same ol' argument over and over again. Guns don't kill people, McDonalds didn't make you fat...etc, etc. It's the people. People are rude, lazy.... I could go on and on. Mother f'ers don't even hold the door open for people anymore. I don't know how many times I've gone to drop my son off at daycare and I'll be a couple of steps from the door and some ignorant parent let's the door slam in my face.... or they come out of daycare and let their kids run to the car....it's a busy parking lot and one day their kids going to get tagged.

Post of the day right there. Couldn't agree more.

psusnoop
06-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Hmmm... So driving with a cell phone in your hand (not talking about texting, just talking) is as dangerous as being drunk?

I personally don't think it is a matter of one being worse then the other as much as it is that either one can have a negative impact on you or others around you.

steelerfan
06-08-2011, 01:35 PM
one day their kids going to get tagged.

Survival of the fittest.

Goodnight, son of dumbass. :nod:

steelerfan
06-08-2011, 01:39 PM
I like to get drunk, text on the interstate, go to the theater and text some more, walk slowly in the grocery store while texting even more, then speed through daycare parking lots hoping someone has neglected Junior.

People are fucking dumb. :smh:

SmoothPancakes
06-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Survival of the fittest.

I just did some serious LOL'ing right now as I read that. :D

morsdraconis
06-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Survival of the fittest.

+1

:smh:

psuexv
06-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Survival of the fittest.

Well let me tell you what, if you saw some of these parents you know those kids aren't making it far in life... one dude wears one of these every freaking day :smh:

http://www.cambriabike.com/Images/product/chris_king_cycling_cap.jpg

steelerfan
06-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Well let me tell you what, if you saw some of these parents you know those kids aren't making it far in life... one dude wears one of these every freaking day :smh:

:D :D

I rest my case.

iBrandon
06-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I personally don't think it is a matter of one being worse then the other as much as it is that either one can have a negative impact on you or others around you.

That's true... I just wouldn't think talking is worse than being drunk.

iBrandon
06-08-2011, 03:51 PM

Post of the day right there. Couldn't agree more.

That is a great post. I hate when I hold the door open for people and I don't even get a nod of thanks. I sometimes can't help and when they don't say thank you, I just say, your welcome.

ram29jackson
06-08-2011, 05:08 PM
if the theatre didnt refund her, they shouldnt be bragging about it...and was she texting or did she just use it as a flashlight?

furthermore, a theatre is a crappy job and I aint wasting time for a control freak boss who wants to kick out people left and right, so I have to be the annoying little hall monitor guy with the dang vest who gets on peoples nerves....especially violent dumb people ,larger then me...