PDA

View Full Version : Report: UM's Demar Dorsey Qualified But Unlikely Playing For Michigan

Flav
06-07-2010, 03:00 PM
http://collegefootballtalk.nbc...igan-man-in-10/ (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/07/five-star-recruit-dorsey-reportedly-wont-be-a-michigan-man-in-10/)

http://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/15643864630

I'm so dissapointed right now :(

cdj
06-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Ugh, that hurts man.

I just heard today that a high profile recruit for Nebraska may not make it as a result of grades as well (RB Braylon Heard).

According to the first link, they believe Dorsey had the grades but UM didn't accept him (since he is rumored to be going to FSU). With Nebraska likely to be a new member of your conference, is this a school policy or conference recommendation that is keeping Dorsey out and what exactly is it that UM doesn't like about his grades that FSU does?

morsdraconis
06-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Ugh, that hurts man.

I just heard today that a high profile recruit for Nebraska may not make it as a result of grades as well (RB Braylon Heard).

According to the first link, they believe Dorsey had the grades but UM didn't accept him (since he is rumored to be going to FSU). With Nebraska likely to be a new member of your conference, is this a school policy or conference recommendation that is keeping Dorsey out and what exactly is it that UM doesn't like about his grades that FSU does?

It probably has more to do with character than grades. RichRod has always been one to take a chance on kids with bad backgrounds but are very talented football players.

But, that's just a guess.

Flav
06-07-2010, 05:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=5261493

Looks like there is still hope <3

Rudy
06-07-2010, 06:34 PM
When's the last good break or bit of good luck Michigan has had? The program seems cursed under Rich Rod (his fault or not).

JeffHCross
06-07-2010, 10:56 PM
With Nebraska likely to be a new member of your conference, is this a school policy or conference recommendation that is keeping Dorsey out and what exactly is it that UM doesn't like about his grades that FSU does?I am not aware of any Big Ten policy regarding grades beyond that (obviously) of the Clearing House.

UM, as much as I hate to admit this, has higher academic standards than some of the rest of the conference. That could be the underlying factor here.

MGoBlue
06-08-2010, 12:22 PM
I am not aware of any Big Ten policy regarding grades beyond that (obviously) of the Clearing House.

UM, as much as I hate to admit this, has higher academic standards than some of the rest of the conference. That could be the underlying factor here.

They probably don't like his spotty background. I really don't see how him raising his gpa for 2.6 to 2.7 (Or whatever it was at, anything under 3.0 is all a wash anyways), or getting a couple more points on the ACT to creep into Naitonal Average territory means anything to the university. If a kid who doesnt run like the wind sent in an application with those numbers they would laugh their heads off, because they know academic success is not in their future at Michigan. They should just let him in and let him bring in the football revenue, no need to have this academic facade mucking everything up, because everyone knows why he's going to college.

morsdraconis
06-08-2010, 01:31 PM
They probably don't like his spotty background. I really don't see how him raising his gpa for 1.9 to 2.0 (Or whatever it was at, anything under 3.0 is all a wash anyways), or getting a couple more points on the ACT to creep into Naitonal Average territory means anything to the university. If a kid who doesnt run like the wind sent in an application with those numbers they would laugh their heads off, because they know academic success is not in their future at Michigan. They should just let him in and let him bring in the football revenue, no need to have this academic facade mucking everything up, because everyone knows why he's going to college.

Yes, but see, there's a very fine line there. These kids are going to school to get an education and the universities have to keep up those ideals no matter what. Otherwise, the NCAA turns into minor league football and quite a bit of it becomes tainted because then money to these kids (legally) ruins the whole ideal of doing it for the school and the possibility of money instead of just doing it for money (like basketball has basically become).

Flav
06-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Dorsey had a 2.6 GPA with a 19 on the ACT

MGoBlue
06-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Yes, but see, there's a very fine line there. These kids are going to school to get an education and the universities have to keep up those ideals no matter what. Otherwise, the NCAA turns into minor league football and quite a bit of it becomes tainted because then money to these kids (legally) ruins the whole ideal of doing it for the school and the possibility of money instead of just doing it for money (like basketball has basically become).

Letting in kids based on the premise in my post isn't a gateway into paying these kids more than for their scholarships (Which is an outlandish amount of money to begin with). I had the unfortunate privaledge of being around Austin White (Biggest D-Bag you'll ever meet) in class, and i can tell you he's not going anywhere to further any sort of education, he had a 2.7. I can say with confidence that there really isn't a way Demar could be any more uncommited to academics than any of the other 2.7-ish kids, because to achieve that you just show up and do the bare-minimum, which he aparently did. Universities are first and foremost about making money (and they should be, this is how their employees make a living, and how Michigan can continue being a prominent research institution), and letting Demar in is beneficial as long as he stays out of jail. I would take that risk.

Flav
06-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Its official, they released him from U of M commitment

http://detnews.com/article/20100609/SPORTS0201/6090395/1004/sports/Father--Dorsey-released-from-U-M-commitment

AustinWolv
06-13-2010, 04:34 AM
FSU isn't letting him in either.

It isn't the first time that UM hasn't admitted players, under both Carr and Rodriguez. The new AD is also actively putting a foot down on borderline admissions cases in order to send a message.

I had the unfortunate privaledge of being around Austin White
Heard he was an arrogant punk especially his junior year in high school, such that teammates didn't care for him much. Word is he got better his senior year, but humble pie would do him good still.

As far as academics, pulled this quote from another forum:

Arizona State releases a ranking of the top research universities in the country based on 9 categories..here are how the Big Ten/CIC schools rank:

Michigan (top 25 in 8 categories)
Wisconsin (top 25 in 7, 26-50 in 1)
Minnesota (top 25 in 6, 26-50 in 2)
Ohio St (top 25 in 5, 26-50 in 3)
Chicago (top 25 in 5, 26-50 in 2)
Northwestern (top 25 in 3, 26-50 in 6)
Penn St (top 25 in 3, 26-50 in 4)
Illinois (top 25 in 3, 26-50 in 4)
Purdue (top 25 in 1, 26-50 in 5)
Iowa (26-50 in 7)
Michigan St (26-50 in 4)
Indiana (26-50 in 3)
Illinois-Chicago (26-50 in 2)
Nebraska - 0 top 50 rankings

Ranked by research spending:
1. Wisconsin $841mil
2. Michigan $809mil
3. Ohio St $720mil
4. Minnesota $624mil
5. Penn St $562mil
6. Illinois $474mil
7. Northwestern $443mil
8. Purdue $415mil
9. Iowa $363mil
10. Michigan St $361mil
11. Illinois-Chicago $342mil
12. Chicago $322mil
13. Nebraska $216mil
14. Indiana $110mil

And in federal research spending:
1. Michigan $577mil
2. Wisconsin $470mil
3. Minnesota $338mil
4. Penn St $331mil
5. Ohio St $313mil
6. Chicago $262mil
7. Illinois $254mil
8. Northwestern $249mil
9. Iowa $223mil
10. Illinois-Chicago $209mil
11. Michigan St $170mil
12. Purdue $166mil
13. Nebraska $80mil
14. Indiana $62mil
It was related to the question of B10 academics and Nebraska's admission into the conf.

Flav
06-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Yeah, one of my friends was friends with Austin White. said that he was the cockiest person ever.