PDA

View Full Version : Total War Series

oweb26
06-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Anyone play the Total war games on PC besides myself?

I personally put in about 6 hours yesterday on Shogun 2 awesome game!!!!

I would love to discuss strategies if someone else plays them, I suck ass at it right now.

Also I didn't want to get to specific on which game because I am not sure of the following size. So any game of the series is fair topic.

SmoothPancakes
06-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Anyone play the Total war games on PC besides myself?

I personally put in about 6 hours yesterday on Shogun 2 awesome game!!!!

I would love to discuss strategies if someone else plays them, I suck ass at it right now.

Also I didn't want to get to specific on which game because I am not sure of the following size. So any game of the series is fair topic.

Oh yeah, there's a couple of us. The RPG thread has turned into a discussion on Final Fantasy and Total War games. :D

Total War is right up there with Civilization for my most played PC games. I own Rome, Empire, Napoleon, and just bought Shogun 2 last week, though I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

morsdraconis
06-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I played the hell out of the singleplayer campaign of Shogun 2 a little while back, but then I got kinda bored of it. I casually enjoy the games, but definitely not a huge fan of them. They're a fun distraction for a week or two though.

SmoothPancakes
06-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Oh god, I can't get enough of them. I still remember a pair of battles I got into in Rome. I attacked and captured a star fort after an hour long battle, and many losses. That obviously pissed off the nation who owned the fort, because about 15 turns later, here comes this MASSIVE army heading right for the fort. Thankfully I had spent those 15 turns bringing in reinforcements to fend off any counterattacks, as well as to give extra protection, and set myself up for future offensive assaults I may have decided to launch, since it was located near a border with two other nations I was at war with.

The battle that followed as nothing short of epic. I had a massive amount of troops inside guarding the fort. The enemy brought so many troops in the counterattack that I had enemy troops, and constant reinforcements, coming at me from literally every direction on the battle map. The overall battle to defend that star fort lasted over four and half hours long, there were so many troops involved in the battle. It was a chess match for a large portion of it. I'd send some of my weakest troops out into the field outside the fort to lure the enemy's calvary in to attack them, which then allowed my archers to pick off a bunch of the calvary. Same thing with the pikemen, and others.

Then came the final charge around the 3 hour, 45 minute mark. Every single unit the enemy still had charged my western gate in a single massive attack. So what did I do? I massed all of my troops (that weren't guarding the other gates) at that western gate, opened the doors, and let my enemy stupidly charge all his soldiers into the gateway, funneling all of his soldiers into a tiny column, allowing my massive group of soldiers to sit there picking off groups of soldiers here and there.

When all was said and done, I had about 30% remaining of my troops that I began the battle with. My enemy was completely destroyed. I did not leave a single enemy troop alive. Even the ones that were routed and tried to flee, I sent my calvary out from one of the other gates and ran them down and slaughtered them all. To this day, that still remains my most epic battle out of every one of the Total War games, and the hundreds and hundreds of battles, that I've played.

morsdraconis
06-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Rome: Total War was the last one I played and probably, in my opinion, the best in the series. Talking about it makes me want to play it again...

oweb26
06-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Oh yeah, there's a couple of us. The RPG thread has turned into a discussion on Final Fantasy and Total War games. :D

Total War is right up there with Civilization for my most played PC games. I own Rome, Empire, Napoleon, and just bought Shogun 2 last week, though I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I own all of them as well and I cannot get enough of them for some reason. I will say I didn't put too much time into the Empire series because the time period didnt really interest me.

I played the hell out of the singleplayer campaign of Shogun 2 a little while back, but then I got kinda bored of it. I casually enjoy the games, but definitely not a huge fan of them. They're a fun distraction for a week or two though.

Rome: Total War was the last one I played and probably, in my opinion, the best in the series. Talking about it makes me want to play it again...

How did you play the single player of shogun 2 if Rome was the last one you played? Are you referring to the demo? I think Rome is the most balanced of all the games, as of right now I think Shogun 2 will be a great game once they keep updating it and releasing some DLC I haven't had this much fun with one in a very long time.

morsdraconis
06-06-2011, 01:20 PM
How did you play the single player of shogun 2 if Rome was the last one you played? Are you referring to the demo? I think Rome is the most balanced of all the games, as of right now I think Shogun 2 will be a great game once they keep updating it and releasing some DLC I haven't had this much fun with one in a very long time.

I meant, Rome was the last one I played after Shogun 2. I skipped like 4 Total War games between Rome and Shogun 2.

SmoothPancakes
06-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Doh! :fp:

I forgot, I also have Medieval II. I don't know how I forgot that I own that one as well. Rome is still my absolute favorite though.

oweb26
06-06-2011, 02:36 PM
I own all of them besides the first Medieval and the first shogun. I think the only ones I have put any significant amount of time in was Rome and will probably be this one. Medieval I cheated when I first got the game because I was so late in getting it, so I had a crap ton of money so I just built a big army and went and conquered everyone.

SmoothPancakes
06-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah, counting Medieval II that I forgot about, I have every single Total War except for the first Shogun and the first Medieval as well.