PDA

View Full Version : Embedding YouTube Videos May Soon Be a Felony.

NatureBoy
06-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Techdirt reports that Senate bill 978 – a bill to amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes – may be used to prosecute people for embedding YouTube videos.

According to Mark Masnick, if a website embeds a YouTube video that is determined to have infringed on copyright and more than 10 people view it on that website, the owner or others associated with the website could face up to five years in prison.

He explains how the new law would expand copyright violations from reproducing and distributing to performing – including streaming video over the internet.

As readers of Infowars.com know, many videos are removed from YouTube after copyright owners complain about infringement. This happens with thousands of news clips every year. Most people are familiar with the now common black box replacing a video that says the video has been removed for copyright reasons.

If enacted, this law will go one step further and turn people who embed a copyrighted video into criminals. It will also set the stage to criminalize linking to copyrighted information — like corporate media news sources — and shut down the alternative media.

It will also make people think twice about putting up all kinds of videos, from news reports to clips from documentaries and other educational material.

It does not take a vivid imagination to realize the political implications of this legislation.

LINK (http://www.infowars.com/embedding-youtube-videos-may-soon-be-a-felony/)

JBHuskers
06-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Stupid....

souljahbill
06-02-2011, 09:30 PM
This needs to be pushed to the forefront. The economy, bringing troops home, rising gas prices, can all wait. We must stop people embedding YouTube videos. How can we sleep at night with people embedding YouTube videos? It's criminal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLW
06-02-2011, 09:34 PM
LMAO if they pass that bill they better pass a trillion dollar spending bill on the CC to pay for all of the extra prisons we are going to need. :nod: Someone clearly hasn't thought this through :smh:

FYI the Senators responsible for said legislation =

Senator Amy Klobuchar - Democrat MN

Senator John Cornyn - Republican TX

Senator Chris Coons - Democrat DE

That's and ODD mix and sounds like I'm going to have to call my future senator when I move to Texas. :nod:

xRomo9
06-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Wow... this is crazy!

JeffHCross
06-02-2011, 09:53 PM
There's a lot more to that bill than just preventing people from embedding YouTube videos. That bill could allow for the prosecution of anyone who links to something that is a Copyright violation. So, in a way, since YouTube has common copyright violations, any link to YouTube (even to a legitimate video) may put a person in hot water.

Here's an e-mail I received from the Entertainment Consumers Association:

Senate Bill 968, the Protect IP Act of 2011, would take the already strict laws regarding intellectual property and copyright and make them more onerous by causing website owners to be careful about not just what they post, but also what they link to. The released draft of the legislation makes it effectively illegal to link to any website that is, or might be, accused of being “dedicated to infringing purposes.”

Write your Senator today and tell them to vote No on the legislation. (http://action.theeca.com/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=1v4A6dGso1JuACeY%2BBXHAbjz2bEesU70)

The language in the bill refers to “information location tool[s],” which, as defined, can mean any directory, index, reference, pointer or hypertext link. As content creators, we’d have to be fully aware of what and who we’re linking our website, tweet or status updating to, and worry that if any website we linked to is accused of being used for “infringing purposes,” we can be held liable, even if we haven’t posted or hosted the offending material ourselves.

People who post online shouldn’t be held responsible for what they link to. Speak out now and write your Senator. (http://action.theeca.com/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=e24OSif6XzdfR9VtVMJdm7jz2bEesU70)

If passed, this legislation will have a chilling effect on the simple act of posting any link online. Write your Senator today and tell them to not support S. 968. (http://action.theeca.com/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=gHz9phbw26%2BZbio%2Bi2s8hbjz2bEesU70)

SmoothPancakes
06-02-2011, 09:59 PM
LMAO if they pass that bill they better pass a trillion dollar spending bill on the CC to pay for all of the extra prisons we are going to need. :nod: Someone clearly hasn't thought this through :smh:

Yep, basically this would turn millions of Americans into felons. Good luck finding all that prison space for them. Prisons all over the nation are already overcrowded just with the murders, rapists, etc.

I OU a Beatn
06-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Looks like life without parole for me. I'm a serial linker for sure.

SmoothPancakes
06-02-2011, 10:24 PM

Same here buddy. Looks like we're gonna be hanging out in prison for a long time. I call top bunk!

HuskerBlitz
06-02-2011, 10:57 PM
This needs to be pushed to the forefront. The economy, bringing troops home, rising gas prices, can all wait. We must stop people embedding YouTube videos. How can we sleep at night with people embedding YouTube videos? It's criminal!

First off, I think this law is one of the dumber ones that has been introduced.

However, I don't understand that sentiment you posted. Sure, there are important things that need to be done, but life doesn't stop in the meantime.

souljahbill
06-02-2011, 11:03 PM
First off, I think this law is one of the dumber ones that has been introduced.

However, I don't understand that sentiment you posted. Sure, there are important things that need to be done, but life doesn't stop in the meantime.

It was sarcasm.

HuskerBlitz
06-02-2011, 11:18 PM
It was sarcasm.

That may be, however I have ran into several people that have that same mentality.

ram29jackson
06-02-2011, 11:21 PM
GROUP HUG IN THE SHOWER TONIGHT !!....or maybe not

HuskerBlitz
06-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Ram, is there any doubt you're from SoCal? ;)

(Please don't take the wink seriously...:fp:)

ram29jackson
06-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Ram, is there any doubt you're from SoCal? ;)

(Please don't take the wink seriously...:fp:)

oh, is that how it is ? all from So Cal are *** ? :D

Over a decade ago I visited relatives in Arkansas. and We wear levi's jeans out here in California.

but my cousins made jokes about it because everyone out there wears wrangler jeans...or did wear at the time

skipwondah33
06-03-2011, 12:20 AM
That's cool I never do anyway so it won't bother me lol

SmoothPancakes
06-03-2011, 12:34 AM

Alright, based on the way this thread has degenerated, I'm setting the ground rules right now. If we become cellmates for the rest of our lives, don't even think about any of that funny business! You can find yourself a prison bitch to play with somewhere in gen-pop. :D

psusnoop
06-03-2011, 07:05 AM
Alright, based on the way this thread has degenerated, I'm setting the ground rules right now. If we become cellmates for the rest of our lives, don't even think about any of that funny business! You can find yourself a prison bitch to play with somewhere in gen-pop. :D

:D:D

psusnoop
06-03-2011, 07:09 AM
Techdirt reports that Senate bill 978 – a bill to amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes – may be used to prosecute people for embedding YouTube videos.

According to Mark Masnick, if a website embeds a YouTube video that is determined to have infringed on copyright and more than 10 people view it on that website, the owner or others associated with the website could face up to five years in prison.

He explains how the new law would expand copyright violations from reproducing and distributing to performing – including streaming video over the internet.

As readers of Infowars.com know, many videos are removed from YouTube after copyright owners complain about infringement. This happens with thousands of news clips every year. Most people are familiar with the now common black box replacing a video that says the video has been removed for copyright reasons.

If enacted, this law will go one step further and turn people who embed a copyrighted video into criminals. It will also set the stage to criminalize linking to copyrighted information — like corporate media news sources — and shut down the alternative media.

It will also make people think twice about putting up all kinds of videos, from news reports to clips from documentaries and other educational material.

It does not take a vivid imagination to realize the political implications of this legislation.

LINK (http://www.infowars.com/embedding-youtube-videos-may-soon-be-a-felony/)

Retarded, this is just silly.

It's on level with Georgia State Rep. Bobby Franklin who last year proposed making rape and domestic violence "victims" into "accusers"—has introduced a 10-page bill that would criminalize miscarriages and make abortion in Georgia completely illegal. Both miscarriages and abortions would be potentially punishable by death: any "prenatal murder" in the words of the bill, including "human involvement" in a miscarriage, would be a felony and carry a penalty of life in prison or death.

I'd really like to smack this idiot.

JBHuskers
06-03-2011, 08:14 AM
I highly doubt this goes too far. Would states really want to spend the resources to scour every Tom Dick and Harry website for embedded videos? Are they going to go after Zuckerberg since you can post videos on Facebook? :D

steelerfan
06-03-2011, 09:38 AM
FYI the Senators responsible for said legislation =

Senator John Cornyn - Republican TX

That's and ODD mix and sounds like I'm going to have to call my future senator when I move to Texas. :nod:

Never even heard of this DB. And I watch ESPN News and all that. :dunno:

steelerfan
06-03-2011, 09:39 AM
GROUP HUG IN THE SHOWER TONIGHT !!

Glad I missed this.

JBHuskers
06-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Never even heard of this DB. And I watch ESPN News and all that. :dunno:

It's senator bashing time.

JBHuskers
06-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Sue me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJuwXzA_BcE

HWill
06-03-2011, 09:49 AM

http://blog.muchmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/stevencolbertemotionalshakeofthehea.gif

JBHuskers
06-03-2011, 09:51 AM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgp4t0xqmY1qbr0j4.gif

ram29jackson
06-03-2011, 06:28 PM
what ? no gifs from the "longest yard " movie, I got the line from in the first place ? haha