PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football 12 Video: Deep Look into Custom Playbooks

cdj
05-31-2011, 12:19 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/5759510961_2d3dac66d8_z.jpg As part of their weekly Quick Clip series, the NCAA Football Facebook page has posted a video showing a deeper look at the Custom Playbooks feature in NCAA Football 12. Continue on to check out the video and then share your thoughts with the community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mWtFHrPiQk

You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?444-NCAA-Football-12-Video-Deep-Look-into-Custom-Playbooks

th3 last tiger
05-31-2011, 12:36 PM
New to TGT, but from what I saw this looks like an incredible improvement. My only concern is that if someone wanted to create a cheesy playbook, they would have the ability to put in all the formations and plays that they wanted. Then again so can you, so I guess it would even out.

JBHuskers
05-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Welcome man!

souljahbill
05-31-2011, 12:58 PM
New to TGT, but from what I saw this looks like an incredible improvement. My only concern is that if someone wanted to create a cheesy playbook, they would have the ability to put in all the formations and plays that they wanted. Then again so can you, so I guess it would even out.

Cheesy people only use the same handful of plays anyway so having lots of plays won't give them any more of an "advantage" then usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Death
05-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Here's a question he didn't address in that video, and I'm sure the answer to this is - Yes - but after we create our Custom Playbooks, both O & D, can we then assign them as our Primary Playbooks just like in years past? So if/when we go to Play Now those PB's pop up as our primary ones. I know... probably a stupid ? but just wanting to make sure we will have that ability.

gschwendt
05-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Here's a question he didn't address in that video, and I'm sure the answer to this is - Yes - but after we create our Custom Playbooks, both O & D, can we then assign them as our Primary Playbooks just like in years past? So if/when we go to Play Now those PB's pop up as our primary ones. I know... probably a stupid ? but just wanting to make sure we will have that ability.
I'm not 100% positive but I'm fairly sure that is indeed the case. I am positive that you can set it as your coach's playbook inside of Dynasty.

morsdraconis
05-31-2011, 02:22 PM
I can't remember or not, but can you go in and change the audibles for whatever playbook you plan to use as your base so that when you go to create a custom playbook, the base you choose has those new audibles? Like, for instance, using Northwestern's playbook, could I go in and change all of the audibles for that playbook to goalline formation audibles so that I'd be able to remove every formation in the playbook besides the locked ones?

gschwendt
05-31-2011, 02:28 PM
I can't remember or not, but can you go in and change the audibles for whatever playbook you plan to use as your base so that when you go to create a custom playbook, the base you choose has those new audibles? Like, for instance, using Northwestern's playbook, could I go in and change all of the audibles for that playbook to goalline formation audibles so that I'd be able to remove every formation in the playbook besides the locked ones?
I'm not sure if your changes would carry over to your custom playbook or not but you can certainly do it once you're in there.

Tarhead10
05-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Nice video...I especially like the part about adding/removing plays from formations... Some plays in formations dont differ in routes or what direction the routes might be going, so its nice to add/remove plays based on exploiting the defense, especially in zone...

morsdraconis
05-31-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure if your changes would carry over to your custom playbook or not but you can certainly do it once you're in there.

Ah, well that's just as good then. Didn't know that you could change the audibles inside custom playbook. Cool stuff.

gschwendt
05-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Ah, well that's just as good then. Didn't know that you could change the audibles inside custom playbook. Cool stuff.
Yep... goto 4:22 of the video and you'll see where it's done (though it doesn't actually show him changing them).

morsdraconis
05-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Yep... goto 4:22 of the video and you'll see where it's done (though it doesn't actually show him changing them).

Heh, totally missed that the three or four times it's been shown (guess that's what I get for glancing at screenshots and then just listening to the videos most of the time).

Unconquered
05-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Does anyone know what Ace - Panthers Trips and Ace - Slot Y Flex (seen at 1:35) will look like? A screenshot or diagram would be nice.

gschwendt
05-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Does anyone know what Ace - Panthers Trips and Ace - Slot Y Flex (seen at 1:35) will look like? A screenshot or diagram would be nice.Ace - Panthers is probably a formation brought over from Madden's Carolina playbook (though not necessarily in Madden 11)... I don't have any idea what it looks like though. The Ace - Slot Y Flex will probably be the TE in the slot and on the line of scrimmage.

Dr Death
05-31-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm not 100% positive but I'm fairly sure that is indeed the case. I am positive that you can set it as your coach's playbook inside of Dynasty.

Thanks! I figured that was the case, but it never hurts to ask. I appreciate it!

Unconquered
05-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Ace - Panthers is probably a formation brought over from Madden's Carolina playbook (though not necessarily in Madden 11)... I don't have any idea what it looks like though. The Ace - Slot Y Flex will probably be the TE in the slot and on the line of scrimmage.

Thanks. Y Flex makes sense, but I can't figure what Panthers Trips could be since they've got just about every other trips formation covered.

I tried downloading a PDF of the Madden 11 playbooks, but that yielded no answers.

Something to look forward to on launch day, I guess :)

CLW
05-31-2011, 05:09 PM
Interesting with all of the "controversy" surrounding the ability to edit/change audibles they didn't even bring it up in this "deep look" yet it is clearly on the screen. Now how it works and what you can do is still sort of left out there in the unknown.

I suppose the only logical explanation for this is they recently added this ability and haven't finished it yet to show us. I cannot think of any other reason why they wouldn't show us the ability to edit/change audibles ESPECIALLY if they claim to read/visit the community sites where it was discussed ad naseum.

gschwendt
05-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Interesting with all of the "controversy" surrounding the ability to edit/change audibles they didn't even bring it up in this "deep look" yet it is clearly on the screen. Now how it works and what you can do is still sort of left out there in the unknown.
That's just for standard audibles, not formation audibles.

JeffHCross
05-31-2011, 07:51 PM
Does anyone know what Ace - Panthers TripsI did see it in one playbook while at the event, and it looked like your average Trips formation to me. I didn't see anything particularly special. That I can recall, at least -- it's possible I'm confusing it with something else.

FoleyLions
05-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Whats that Shotgun-Short Snap formation at 2:41??

morsdraconis
05-31-2011, 10:57 PM

Good eyes! I totally missed that one. Interesting. More of a Pistol look possibly with normal line up of the RB? Kinda like an offset Shotgun formation but shorter snap maybe?

Pig Bomb
05-31-2011, 11:25 PM

Good eyes! I totally missed that one. Interesting. More of a Pistol look possibly with normal line up of the RB? Kinda like an offset Shotgun formation but shorter snap maybe?

SHOTGUN: Slot F Wing....was my favorite formation from last year! It's a shotgun where the HB lines up just behind the QB and off to the side. There is a FB in the formation as well.
The combination leads to some devastating option plays while still providing the pass threat of a regular shotty formation.

check out this highlight from last yea usingSlot F Wing ...my QB ends up keeping it but you get the idea
http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/22345703

xMrHitStickx904
06-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Yeah, Slot F Wing was my base option attack formation last year.

morsdraconis
06-01-2011, 10:45 AM
That's not the play he's talkin' about. The dude in the video is talkin' about Slot F Wing, but there is a formation above it called Short Snap that he doesn't go to. That was the formation FoleyLions and I were talking about.

Pig Bomb
06-01-2011, 10:56 AM
That's not the play he's talkin' about. The dude in the video is talkin' about Slot F Wing, but there is a formation above it called Short Snap that he doesn't go to. That was the formation FoleyLions and I were talking about.

oh i see it now in the menu

gschwendt
06-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Not saying these won't be in there but one thing to keep in mind is that we don't know exactly when this was recorded... some of those may be duplicate formations that they may have been working to clean up (particuarly the Ace - Panthers Trips). It will be interesting to see what kind of unique formations we may find once the game is released.

FoleyLions
06-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Well my freshmen year at Foley when we ran the Tony Fraklin offense we had special teams formation called short snap where the we would line up like a regular SG 4WR but with the OL was replace with the punt coverage OL and the QB would quick kick it or fake a quick kick and throw to the side lines. Kinda like Malzahn has done at auburn. But who knows what it could be, it may be a hidden formation like Emory-Henry has been.

Also the Pistol- Full House has a lot of potential if EA did it right. When I coached middle school this was our base formations we had: 3 different Speed Options, 3 differant ways to run dive, counter, and toss, 3 different zone reads, 3 screens just for RB's plus 4 more for the 2 WR's, and countless triple options. We had 3/4 of our wrist bands filled up with plays from this formation alone.

Koach Vonner
06-01-2011, 12:42 PM
I am so excited about this feature. I can't wait till this game comes out.

Unconquered
06-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm like Scantlebury: One of the best parts about custom playbooks is that I'll no longer spend days (or weeks) comparing playbooks to find the one that's closest to what I want (and in past years this has always meant that I really have only about half the plays and formations I want).

Loving this feature.

Pig Bomb
06-01-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm like Scantlebury: One of the best parts about custom playbooks is that I'll no longer spend days (or weeks) comparing playbooks to find the one that's closest to what I want (and in past years this has always meant that I really have only about half the plays and formations I want).

Loving this feature.

no freaking joke dude! I spent countless hours looking through plabook spreadsheets.... another benefit is that if you want to add something new for a particular opponent you don't have to change playbooks entirely..you just add the formation or play[s] you want!! Awesome!

Koach Vonner
06-01-2011, 02:00 PM
I have to admit that I am pretty pumped about this feature. WOW!! Great JOB EA!! :clap:

However, maybe somebody can clean this up for me: He stated that he pushes ":360y: in order to remove all his plays. Did he mean from that particular formation (ACE), or did he mean from the whole entire playbook? Cause he went straight from there and I saw he still had all his Shotgun formations.

He should've made that a lot more clear. :dunno:

Koach Vonner
06-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Nevermind. I am a dumb ass :o!! I see what he did now. Don't answer that question about the playbook and removing formations.

Unconquered
06-01-2011, 03:00 PM
another benefit is that if you want to add something new for a particular opponent you don't have to change playbooks entirely..you just add the formation or play[s] you want!! Awesome!

EXACTLY. :up:

I plan to keep one "wild card" formation in the back of my playbook that will change week to week, depending on my opponent. So if I want to keep someone off balance and throw in some Flexbone with my standard One Back scheme, I can do it with a few clicks.

xMrHitStickx904
06-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Forreal, I just need a demo release date now.

AustinWolv
06-01-2011, 04:31 PM
no freaking joke dude! I spent countless hours looking through plabook spreadsheets.... another benefit is that if you want to add something new for a particular opponent you don't have to change playbooks entirely..you just add the formation or play[s] you want!! Awesome!

Agreed!

Really glad they got this feature in. The other thing is tailoring plays to the players you get. Sometimes you don't get a certain type of RB so you can load up on plays that fit that RB's style better. There have been many times in the past where I had a power RB, let's say, that dominated and then graduated, and your next RB is a guy that doesn't pound the ball as well but is fast, so you had to basically limit some play-calling, but now you could keep the same formations and dump runs that aren't optimal and add ones back in that do suit him better.....or dump a power formation to get a single-back look with more receivers to spread out the D. Same especially with QBs......sometimes you have a guy that is pretty decent at running so you wish you could have some option which would force you to pick a playbook in the past that included it, but hell, usually you have pocket-passers so it is a waste to use that playbook just for one year.....now you can tailor things around without having to change entire playbooks by just bringing in certain plays or a new formation or two. Just an example.

Exciting.

Unconquered
06-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Here's a question: I know we can shuffle our plays so they fall in the order we want, but can we re-order our formations to fall in the order we want?

For example, I like the classic way Ace was distributed, from the heavy formations (jumbo, big) to the light (4WR, spread, trips) formations.

How will this be handled with custom playbooks in NCAA 12?

I think it'd be weird (and maybe confusing) to have the playbook scrolling from Ace Big to Ace 4 WR to Ace Jumbo ...

gschwendt
06-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Here's question: I know we can shuffle our plays so they fall in the order we want, but can we re-order our formations to fall in the order we want?

For example, I like the classic way Ace was distributed, from the heavy formations (jumbo, big) down to the 4WR and trips formations.

How will this be handled with custom playbooks in NCAA 12?If I remember correctly (there was debate going back & forth when I was last there in April), but I believe the existing formations that were in the base playbook will remain in their same order but as you add new formations, they'll appear alphabetically after the base playbook formations. I could be wrong though... it's possible that they'll all be sorted alphabetically.

Unconquered
06-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Well, as long as there's some kind of order to it. Heavy to light makes sense. Alphabetical makes sense. I just don't wanna be hopping around.

Thanks man :)

Cody
06-03-2011, 09:43 AM
I plan on using Custom Playbooks a lot this year, as I will be working on creating MY OWN offensive system.