PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use DSL extreme?

ram29jackson
05-30-2011, 05:09 PM
is it good for the 14.95 a month they are talking about ? Is it good enough to be able to play you guys online haha ?

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 05:24 PM
DSL Extreme sounds like something you get in a brothel in Amsterdam. :D

I have never heard of it. Before I just moved, I had 12 megabit DSL internet, and it was just as good as cable. Since cable is the same price discounted as Dish + DSL is, I went back to Time Warner and back to Road Runner with Turbo Boost.

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 06:09 PM
DSL Extreme sounds like just a fancy branded name for regular DSL. What do you have now, ram?

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 06:26 PM
DSL Extreme sounds like just a fancy branded name for regular DSL. What do you have now, ram?

I bet it's 12 megabit DSL.

ram29jackson
05-30-2011, 07:56 PM

its Charter but its too much a month. Whats a good speed for ps3 internet gaming ? i dont no what the numbers you say mean, you have to tell me whats good

Roadrunner ?

gschwendt
05-30-2011, 08:01 PM
its Charter but its too much a month. Whats a good speed for ps3 internet gaming ? i dont no what the numbers you say mean, you have to tell me whats good

Roadrunner ?
The lowest I would recommend is probably around 3mb download and 500kb upload but even at that, there are a lot of factors that go into determining the speed of your connection.

morsdraconis
05-30-2011, 08:06 PM
The lowest I would recommend is probably around 3mb download and 500kb upload but even at that, there are a lot of factors that go into determining the speed of your connection.

That's definitely not enough. It's what I have, and 95% of the time, games are unbearably laggy.

I'd go more like 6-7 just to be sure it's fast enough.

gschwendt
05-30-2011, 08:35 PM
That's definitely not enough. It's what I have, and 95% of the time, games are unbearably laggy.

I'd go more like 6-7 just to be sure it's fast enough.

Again it depends on other factors but I had 3mb for a while and had no lag in most expetiences. That said I have 6mb now but that's largely for work.

ram29jackson
05-30-2011, 08:53 PM
what is 768 kbps download and 384 kbps - is that too slow ?

I did a charter test and right now it said I was at 14.3 mbps download
and 1 mbps upload

gschwendt
05-30-2011, 09:15 PM
what is 768 kbps download and 384 kbps - is that too slow ?

I did a charter test and right now it said I was at 14.3 mbps download
and 1 mbps upload
768kb/384kb would definitely be too slow. 14mb/1mb is more than ample for playing games online.

ram29jackson
05-30-2011, 09:21 PM
768kb/384kb would definitely be too slow. 14mb/1mb is more than ample for playing games online.

:D well obviously since thats what ive been using. But just trying to figure whats the lowest I can go depending on what they offer. I dont want to ride the border, I want to be functionally above it

gschwendt
05-30-2011, 11:13 PM
:D well obviously since thats what ive been using. But just trying to figure whats the lowest I can go depending on what they offer. I dont want to ride the border, I want to be functionally above it
I would recommend at least 6mb down then.

morsdraconis
05-30-2011, 11:14 PM
I would recommend at least 6mb down then.

+1

Definitely at least 6mb down, though more is ALWAYS better. ;)

ram29jackson
05-30-2011, 11:19 PM
and what-upload ?

gschwendt
05-30-2011, 11:21 PM
and what-upload ?
You generally don't get a "choice" of upload as the rate will be bundled with the download but I'd say at least 500-700kb or so.

I OU a Beatn
05-30-2011, 11:22 PM
I have 768k DSL in my one location and a much faster cable connection at my other(not sure of the speed but I believe it's 10MB) and I don't get lag whatsoever in either location. If developers have good matchmaking then lag shouldn't be an issue regardless of the connection speed. Just like Gears 2. Everyone complains of lag in the game and I very rarely ever get lag. I never get lag in sports games, either. The only games I get lag in are games that are notorious for lag and games that everyone experiences lag in.

Obviously you'll be downloading stuff forever if you have 768k, but as far as online quality with multiplayer games, I can't tell the difference between my two connections.

ram29jackson
05-31-2011, 12:24 AM
I have 768k DSL in my one location and a much faster cable connection at my other(not sure of the speed but I believe it's 10MB) and I don't get lag whatsoever in either location. If developers have good matchmaking then lag shouldn't be an issue regardless of the connection speed. Just like Gears 2. Everyone complains of lag in the game and I very rarely ever get lag. I never get lag in sports games, either. The only games I get lag in are games that are notorious for lag and games that everyone experiences lag in.

Obviously you'll be downloading stuff forever if you have 768k, but as far as online quality with multiplayer games, I can't tell the difference between my two connections.

what do you mean I would be downloading stuff forever?

I OU a Beatn
05-31-2011, 12:52 AM
Compared to faster DSL/cable connections, 768k obviously takes a lot longer to download things off of the store or whatever. If you're trying to stream something off youtube, that will also take longer. The low speed doesn't have an affect on online gaming(from what I've seen anyway), but it does on just about everything else.

JBHuskers
05-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Yeah right now, I don't know if it is the wiring in my apartment since it's a newer place, but I'm getting about 25MB down on average with 1MB up. They say I'm supposed to get 15MB down, so that was a nice surprise when I ran a speed test. There was even one test where it topped 30MB.

SmoothPancakes
06-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Ram, I'm going to borrow your thread, if you don't mind. My question, for anyone, what are some of the best ISPs that you have used? Is Time Warner Cable's Roadrunner any good? Any lesser knowns that have stood out to you in the past?

We currently have Embarq/CenturyLink (who bought out Embarq) for our ISP, but I think it's time to dump them. Their DSL is slower than what it should be, and as evidenced in the Tiger Woods forum, I have had last night and Sunday night where the DSL complete up and died for multiple hours (12+ hour so far this current time).

We're already looking at, and planning on, completely dumping our phone line since everyone has cell phones and the landline rarely ever gets used, so we're thinking about dumping the CenturyLink DSL and going with someone else, maybe bundling in internet with our Time Warner Cable subscription.

JBHuskers
06-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Roadrunner is great. Never have had a problem. Most likely you can get turbo boost free for a year so you'd get 15 megabits for $29.99 or $39.99 a month can't remember which price I'm paying now since I haven't got my first bill yet. But have had Roadrunner for a long time prior with the except of the few recent months of 12 megabit Windstream DSL, which was pretty good for me too.

SmoothPancakes
06-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Sounds good. Right now, if I had to guess, Roadrunner will probably be the first one looked at, since we already have Time Warner Cable for TV, so it'd be easier to just roll our internet and TV into one company instead of multiple companies. If they're reliable and you've never had a problem, that's already a plus so far over Embarq/CenturyLink.

JBHuskers
06-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Sounds good. Right now, if I had to guess, Roadrunner will probably be the first one looked at, since we already have Time Warner Cable for TV, so it'd be easier to just roll our internet and TV into one company instead of multiple companies. If they're reliable and you've never had a problem, that's already a plus so far over Embarq/CenturyLink.

Roadrunner is probably the best internet you could get. If I ever dropped cable, I would still have Road Runner regardless. I only recently switched to DSL at the old apartment because the roommate wanted to, and the apartment complex struck a deal with Dish and Windstream, so it was pretty cheap. But when I compared prices at my new apartment it was relatively the same because my new apartment has a deal with Time Warner.

ram29jackson
06-01-2011, 04:29 PM
time Warner and charter tv suck, they have no channels...I want to keep the Direct tv but change the internet

SmoothPancakes
06-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Lol, maybe in your area. Just with standard basic cable, with free HD channels through basic hookup to the back of my HD TV, I have 100+ channels already. I already get all the channels I care to watch or do watch, so I'm perfectly fine with TWC.

JBHuskers
06-01-2011, 11:41 PM
I need to find a chick with DSL Extreme :nod: