PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What job should I start with for my Coaching Career in NCAA 12?

CLW
05-30-2011, 03:53 PM
I am really excited about the new Carousel feature for this 12 and I plan on posting the progress of my Coaching Career here at TGT. I think I have narrowed my starting positions to 5 Finalists. However, I could be convinced to start at a different position so I also left the option for "Other".

Feedback as to why you voted for a particular option would be appreciated as well.

Now the "Finalists" in no particular order:

Defensive Coordinator :Rice: - As many of you know, my wife has accepted a Gynecologic Oncology fellowship at M.D. Anderson in Houston and we will be moving to Houston next month after she finishes her OBGYN residency at Brown. I have looked at several places to live around the Rice campus and it looks like I will be living within a few miles of their stadium. In addition to the ties through my wife/home I also am always a sucker/enjoy playing at strong academic schools. Rice would also provide a challenge. The job would likely be a 1 or 2 star prestige job at the most. They finished 114th last year in scoring defense in the country allowing 38.5 points per game. They also finished 107th in defensive yards allowed at 448.8 yards per game.

Offensive Coordinator :Vanderbilt: - I grew up about 2 hours north of Nashville in Western Kentucky. Vandy obviously fits the mold of outstanding academic school. Additionally, I really like their black/gold uniforms. This job would also be a challenge. Playing against those SEC defenses would NOT be a small task. Vandy finished last season ranked 112th in scoring offense with 16.9 points per game. They also finished 110th in offensive yards per game with 298.3. MY ONLY concern about the Vandy job is that it is a job starting out in a BCS conference. Compared to Rice which is in a non AQ conference in C-USA.

Defensive Coordinator :Duke: - My favorite school. I ran my offline dynasty with Duke last year and had a blast. However, a change of scenery may be needed to keep the game "fresh". Duke is obviously a challenge and they finished 109th in scoring defense (35.4 points per game) and 108th in yards allowed (450.1 yards per game). Again, similar to the Vandy job my concern would be starting out in a BCS school might be too easy to jump start my career.

Offensive Coordinator :Buffalo: / :Memphis: / :Akron: / :New_Mexico_State: / :New_Mexico: - Basically these are the teams I suspect will be the worst offenses in the game in 12. I would likely just pick the team with the lowest rating on the offensive side of the ball and build my way up from there.

Defensive Coordinator :New_Mexico: / :East_Carolina: / :Eastern_Michigan: / :Memphis: / :UNLV: - Same as above only defensive side of the ball. Again, I would likely pick whichever school had the lowest rating on the defensive side of the ball.

Let me know your thoughts as to what you think would be the most interesting Coaching Career to follow. Thanks!

SmoothPancakes
05-30-2011, 04:06 PM
I say New Mexico, either side. They are so atrociously bad, you're guaranteed a major challenge doing anything, offense or defense.

CLW
05-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I say New Mexico, either side. They are so atrociously bad, you're guaranteed a major challenge doing anything, offense or defense.

Yeah :New_Mexico: was REALLY bad last year. With the 5th worst offense and wost defense in college football I imagine that would be one of if not the toughest starting jobs in the country for an OC/DC/HC position. The only "problem" with that starting job is I have no connection to the program and know very little about the school/team. Of course, I hopefully wouldn't be there very long either. I could actually see myself not taking the 1st immediate job offer I got if I took the Rice/Vandy/Duke jobs. However, if I took the worst OC/DC job in the country I'd probably be tempted to get the hell out of there A.S.A.P. which I guess could be good/bad depending on how interesting everyone thought my coach jumping ship frequently would be.

SmoothPancakes
05-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Yeah, if you're looking for a school that you know about or have a connection of some sort to, then I'd say :Rice: DC. Rice will also present a challenge, plus DC I think will be the more difficult coordinator job. Anyone with stick skills can manage their own on offense, so if you have good or decent stick skills, you'd be just fine as an OC. But defense, unless you have an offense that you know will score every drive, or can score whenever it needs to, you're going to be under massive pressure to keep from giving up a score every time you're on the field, since you never know if that one offensive drive that you give up a score on, if that will be the deciding drive that will win or lose the game for you.

souljahbill
05-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Well, I'm against using any C-USA team other then Southern Miss by default but I'd say go with Rice. It's "realistic" enough to believe a DC would start at Rice then at an AQ school plus you might develop a personal connection with a new "home team" of sorts in Houston. It might give you some incentive to follow the real Rice during the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Death
05-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Let me know your thoughts as to what you think would be the most interesting Coaching Career to follow. Thanks!

Take the OC job at :New_Mexico_State: and try to stay a few years. W/ :Boise_State: out of the WAC that should help you and you might even be able to help build that team up a bit. Challenging, for sure... but going somewhere for one year will, I think, only hurt you.

I am going to take over the OC at :Louisiana_Tech: and move them into the Sun Belt, along w/ :New_Mexico: and :New_Mexico_State: so we will have a Conference Championship Game and I plan on trying to build them up and may even stay long term. I'll recreate them in TB and give them a nice, shiny new white helmet and probably use :Akron: as my "new" stadium... :D

So "new" things are happening for :Louisiana_Tech: !!!

illwill10
05-30-2011, 04:29 PM
I am starting out as the OC as Memphis. I played/started with them last year in a dynasty. I can work with them and they will fit my custom playbook

souljahbill
05-30-2011, 04:39 PM
I am starting out as the OC as Memphis. I played/started with them last year in a dynasty. I can work with them and they will fit my custom playbook

:down:

I dislike Memphis a great deal.

Pig Bomb
05-30-2011, 04:40 PM
i like the Rice job... you'll be able to follow the real life team easily which will make the first year or two of your dynasty fun knowing all the players...then you can shoot for the Duke Head Job later on and become Spurrier reborn and lead the Blue Devils ot he ACC title!

illwill10
05-30-2011, 04:45 PM
:down:

I dislike Memphis a great deal.

I dont follow them, but I want to turn a team known for basketball to a good football team.
I ve been trying to find some game tape of MEmphis from last year, But I havent been able to find some

souljahbill
05-30-2011, 04:59 PM
I dont follow them, but I want to turn a team known for basketball to a good football team.
I ve been trying to find some game tape of MEmphis from last year, But I havent been able to find some

Do your best to always lose the "Black and Blue" game (Memphis vs. Southern Miss). :D Whenever we play Memphis and/or UAB, the hits seem to be just a little bit harder then usual.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 05:25 PM
I went DC at Duke, to see if you can eventually move on and then come back to Duke as the HC and turn them into a football school.

Cody
05-30-2011, 07:09 PM
I went DC at Duke, to see if you can eventually move on and then come back to Duke as the HC and turn them into a football school.

Bingo.

CLW
05-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Yeah, if you're looking for a school that you know about or have a connection of some sort to, then I'd say :Rice: DC. Rice will also present a challenge, plus DC I think will be the more difficult coordinator job. Anyone with stick skills can manage their own on offense, so if you have good or decent stick skills, you'd be just fine as an OC. But defense, unless you have an offense that you know will score every drive, or can score whenever it needs to, you're going to be under massive pressure to keep from giving up a score every time you're on the field, since you never know if that one offensive drive that you give up a score on, if that will be the deciding drive that will win or lose the game for you.

Well, I'm against using any C-USA team other then Southern Miss by default but I'd say go with Rice. It's "realistic" enough to believe a DC would start at Rice then at an AQ school plus you might develop a personal connection with a new "home team" of sorts in Houston. It might give you some incentive to follow the real Rice during the season.

i like the Rice job... you'll be able to follow the real life team easily which will make the first year or two of your dynasty fun knowing all the players...then you can shoot for the Duke Head Job later on and become Spurrier reborn and lead the Blue Devils ot he ACC title!

Yeah my conclusion is that a bad DC job is going to be harder than a bad OC job even with the improved zone defense.

The big draw to :Rice: is the fact that I will literally be living within a few miles at most from campus and playing with them could help me learn a little bit about the team if I am able to catch a few games over the next 4+ years.

Take the OC job at :New_Mexico_State: and try to stay a few years. W/ :Boise_State: out of the WAC that should help you and you might even be able to help build that team up a bit. Challenging, for sure... but going somewhere for one year will, I think, only hurt you.

I am going to take over the OC at :Louisiana_Tech: and move them into the Sun Belt, along w/ :New_Mexico: and :New_Mexico_State: so we will have a Conference Championship Game and I plan on trying to build them up and may even stay long term. I'll recreate them in TB and give them a nice, shiny new white helmet and probably use :Akron: as my "new" stadium... :D

So "new" things are happening for :Louisiana_Tech: !!!

:New_Mexico_State: and :Memphis: would definitely be a tough jobs. My only "concern" would be that I would have zero interest in the teams and thus want to immediately jump after the 1st season. I suppose I could have to abide by some sort of "rules"/guidelines that I set up but other than it just being a VERY tough job I have no other interest in the school/teams. Although I could sort of relate to :Memphis: due to growing up about 3 hours away in the :Western_Kentucky: area.

Bingo.

:Duke: will definitely be my "dream" job / alma mater for my Coaching Career. I just don't know if I want to START there as that might make it too easy to get to the HC position of Cutcliffe er Duke Coach struggles. :D

Really trying to keep an open mind about it and see what you guys think so keep the comments coming as I have NOT made up my mind yet.

illwill10
05-31-2011, 05:33 PM
:New_Mexico_State: and :Memphis: would definitely be a tough jobs. My only "concern" would be that I would have zero interest in the teams and thus want to immediately jump after the 1st season. I suppose I could have to abide by some sort of "rules"/guidelines that I set up but other than it just being a VERY tough job I have no other interest in the school/teams. Although I could sort of relate to :Memphis: due to growing up about 3 hours away in the :Western_Kentucky: area.

My thing is the goal to take Memphis from being ranked 116th in the Run and 90s in passing to in the 30-50s within 3 seasons. I only want to coach for 4 teams. I know where I want to start at(memphis) and my first HC job(Temple). I dont really know the other two teams. The other two teams are teams that fit my style. My 4th job/last job will be a 4-5
school that is rebuilding, in a good recruiting area, my RTG RB's alma mater, and fitting my style.

jaymo76
05-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Based on the poll... go VANDY. I would be interested to see what type of job offers you get being an SEC OC.

CLW
06-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Based on the poll... go VANDY. I would be interested to see what type of job offers you get being an SEC OC.

Really surprised :Vanderbilt: isn't getting much love. That OC job might be one of the toughest OC jobs in the country in that conference those defenses are just NASTY. I really like Vandy and have NEVER done a dynasty with them. My only concern would be how quickly could I get a major HC job. I would imagine if I did well with Vandy it wouldn't take very long to getting a major HC job offer.

souljahbill
06-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Really surprised :Vanderbilt: isn't getting much love. That OC job might be one of the toughest OC jobs in the country in that conference those defenses are just NASTY. I really like Vandy and have NEVER done a dynasty with them. My only concern would be how quickly could I get a major HC job. I would imagine if I did well with Vandy it wouldn't take very long to getting a major HC job offer.

The reasons it's not getting love (In no particular order):
1) Florida
2) Georgia
3) South Carolina
4) Tennessee

Pig Bomb
06-01-2011, 10:12 AM
1) Florida
2) Georgia
3) South Carolina
4) Tennessee

that looks like the ultimate challenge right there...you will literally have to almost shut them out and then score with the defense to win! lol

jaymo76
06-01-2011, 09:26 PM
that looks like the ultimate challenge right there...you will literally have to almost shut them out and then score with the defense to win! lol

Agreed! SEC competition is beastly. Vandy is a great challenge.

CLW
06-02-2011, 05:45 AM
1) Florida
2) Georgia
3) South Carolina
4) Tennessee

Agreed! SEC competition is beastly. Vandy is a great challenge.

Yeah with all of the great teams in the SEC I'm sure it would be a very tough challenge.

SmoothPancakes
06-02-2011, 05:56 AM
Yeah with all of the great teams in the SEC I'm sure it would be a very tough challenge.

It definitely would. My only worry is if you start as an OC at a SEC school, how much of an effect will that have on how easy it is possibly going to be to get a bunch of OC offers at good teams or HC offer right away.

morsdraconis
06-02-2011, 09:40 AM
It definitely would. My only worry is if you start as an OC at a SEC school, how much of an effect will that have on how easy it is possibly going to be to get a bunch of OC offers at good teams or HC offer right away.

This.

I think it will be too easy to start out with, even with how tough the defenses are in the SEC.

souljahbill
06-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Why is everyone so worried about getting to jobs so easily? If you don't feel you've "earned" the position, don't leave.

Pig Bomb
06-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Why is everyone so worried about getting to jobs so easily? If you don't feel you've "earned" the position, don't leave.

I agree...several guys on this site have already talked bout self imposed restrictions so that they get a realistic experience.
The game will be set up for a casual user, not a hardcore dynasty guy who might play 20+ seasons.

oweb26
06-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Lol, all the school symbols are making me dizzy. I must be getting old. It does seem as though traditionally speaking on the NCAA series, defense will be alot harder to move up then offense will.

morsdraconis
06-02-2011, 03:48 PM

While, yes, that's true, it'd be hard to tone down success on the field at the institution. Where's the fun in playing 2 seasons at the school and being amazing because it's too easy on offense even against the better defenses in the game?

souljahbill
06-02-2011, 04:13 PM
While, yes, that's true, it'd be hard to tone down success on the field at the institution. Where's the fun in playing 2 seasons at the school and being amazing because it's too easy on offense even against the better defenses in the game?

You don't have to tone down success. Because Oklahoma wants you to be HC after 2 years of being the OC at San Jose St. doesn't mean you HAVE to go to Oklahoma. Stay at San Jose St. or move on to be the OC at Washington St. or whatever low level job you feel you "deserve."

CLW
06-08-2011, 05:59 PM
So an FYI/Update thanks to TF for getting all the team ratings:

:Rice: Defense starts out rated D (tied for the worst in the country)

:Vanderbilt: Offense starts out rated B- (pretty respectable)

:Duke: Defense starts out a C+ (not good but not nearly as bad as :Rice:)

:Buffalo: / :San_Jose_State: / :Eastern_Michigan: / :Akron: - are all tied for the worst Offense in the Country with a "D" rating. (They also all have D rated defenses which is the worst in the country)

After looking at it my "vote" is currently DC at Rice. They have one of if not the worst defense in the game to start and I can learn about one of the home town teams. Additionally, I always love coaching/playing at strong academic schools.

morsdraconis
06-08-2011, 07:31 PM
I think you've gotten me interested in starting at a shitty school as DC as well (instead of doing OC like I originally thought about). Should be pretty interesting. I'm definitely excited to give it a try.

morsdraconis
06-08-2011, 07:45 PM
After looking at the list of team rankings, I'm thinking Memphis for myself. D defense and D+ offense means some of the hardest starting out I can find and not exactly the best recruiting grounds in the middle of Tennessee. Should be nice and difficult.

SmoothPancakes
06-08-2011, 08:50 PM
I still personally think Rice. Just based on going the defense route, with a defense that horrible, it'll be a challenge the entire time you're there. Vandy, in my opinion, is pretty much dead in the water, to me personally, with them having a B- offense. Even in the SEC and their defenses, that still won't be that bad.

CLW
06-08-2011, 09:22 PM
I still personally think Rice. Just based on going the defense route, with a defense that horrible, it'll be a challenge the entire time you're there. Vandy, in my opinion, is pretty much dead in the water, to me personally, with them having a B- offense. Even in the SEC and their defenses, that still won't be that bad.

Yeah not sure how/why they got that rating considering their performance last year. Maybe they have some :Vanderbilt: alum on the staff and they got the :Florida_State: treatment this year as well?

iBrandon
06-09-2011, 09:10 AM
If you want to start as a cordinator, I say go with lowest rated offensive team. If you want to start as a coach, go to somewhere like North Texas. They are horrible, but located in a great state for recruiting.

CLW
06-10-2011, 03:21 PM
FYI - I've made my choice DC :Rice:

I got a job offer today from the firm I wanted to work for in Houston. Well what does that have to do with anything? My boss was Captain of the :Rice: football team in the mid-1990s. Gotta buff up on my :Rice: knowledge! :nod:

coogrfan
06-10-2011, 04:19 PM
One more advantage to becoming a Rice fan that no one has mentioned:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/gocoogs/rice_stadium.jpg

There are always plenty of good seats available.

:)

CLW
06-10-2011, 04:26 PM
One more advantage to becoming a Rice fan that no one has mentioned:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/gocoogs/rice_stadium.jpg

There are always plenty of good seats available.

:)

Coog we will have to catch up with some of the other TGT Houston guys once I get in town. Perhaps a :Rice: game is in order?

coogrfan
06-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Coog we will have to catch up with some of the other TGT Houston guys once I get in town.

Between work and family making plans more than a day or two in advance is little more than wishful thinking, but maybe I can work it in.

Perhaps a :Rice: game is in order?

A battle for the coveted Bayou Bucket, you say? Tempting...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/gocoogs/726908623_dkekS-L.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/gocoogs/610x-7.jpg

Justin66
06-12-2011, 01:59 PM
im thinking about starting at uab as an OC I belive rice is on are schedue! lol

illwill10
06-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Rice is in Memphis schedule too.
Memphis faces Miss State, SMU, Southern Miss, ECU. So with High Sliders, I think I can have a 6-6 season.

hawkeyeguy
06-15-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm actually taking Vanderbilt in my 2* online dynasty for 2012