PDA

View Full Version : Season Showdown

CLW
05-30-2011, 03:19 PM
I was bored this afternoon so I took a look at the season showdown standings. I currently sit at #3 in the Duke standings.

Some of the other things that cracked me up were that not a single school had a + Sportsmanship rating. :D :down: :fp: :( :smh:

I know this feature has basically flopped and I wonder if they will even bother to put it in to 12. I mean it's not like there are any prizes to the individual winners or anything (at least not that I am aware of).

Solidice
05-30-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm #33 for Texas Tech. I'm sitting at +329 sportsmanship points. I can't even count how many -100s I've seen when I attempted a pass on 3 and long. I'm shocked I'm still in the positives to be honest. Season Showdown is not kind to Air Raid offenses.

Dr Death
05-30-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm #33 for Texas Tech. I'm sitting at +329 sportsmanship points. I can't even count how many -100s I've seen when I attempted a pass on 3 and long. I'm shocked I'm still in the positives to be honest. Season Showdown is not kind to Air Raid offenses.

I hope next year they introduce Season SHUTdown... as in, SS is gone! College football can change on a dime, and when you have a 21 point lead in the 3rd quarter, and throw a 3 yard pass on 3rd and 2 and get hit for Unsportsmanlike it just makes you wanna S-C-R-E-A-M!!!

Yet the CPU will do things that any of us would get negative points for. I finally decided to ignore it and one game I racked up so many negatives that it should have been well over 2000 points, but at the end it was only 250. So if 250 is the max you can lose no matter what... then what the heck is the point here?

At the very least they should give us the option to turn this "feature" off in Off-Line dynasty's.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Pretty sure it's in this year in the same capacity as it was in 11.

CLW
05-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Pretty sure it's in this year in the same capacity as it was in 11.

Meaning it is technically there but there is literally ZERO mentioning of it and there is no "school pride contest"/tourny to determine some sort of "champion".

I'd be curious as to whether the powers that be at EA actually thought this would be a success when they initially rolled it out. Of course, that's just one of the things you would never get a straight answer out of short of some truth serum.

souljahbill
05-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Once again, I'm in the minority when I say that I actually LIKE Season Showdown. It could use some tweaks (like, if you have negative sportsmanship, your stats shouldn't count AT ALL). Seeing as I went to the the school I play with, I actually do smile when I see we're ahead of some schools and dislike being behind others (Marshall, ECU). I think you shouldn't be penalized for passing on anything 3rd and 6 and up and you shouldn't be penalized at all if you mass subbed. Yeah, someone might "game" the system and put their starters in at backup but if you're mass subbing, I doubt you're really trying to run up the score. I liked it when we had to play our real world opponent for points and answer trivia and do friend/foe voting. If they brought that back, I'd be all over it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Once again, I'm in the minority when I say that I actually LIKE Season Showdown. It could use some tweaks (like, if you have negative sportsmanship, your stats shouldn't count AT ALL). Seeing as I went to the the school I play with, I actually do smile when I see we're ahead of some schools and dislike being behind others (Marshall, ECU). I think you shouldn't be penalized for passing on anything 3rd and 6 and up and you shouldn't be penalized at all if you mass subbed. Yeah, someone might "game" the system and put their starters in at backup but if you're mass subbing, I doubt you're really trying to run up the score. I liked it when we had to play our real world opponent for points and answer trivia and do friend/foe voting. If they brought that back, I'd be all over it again.

I'm with you.

Plus it does deserve some respect as it paved the way for Online Dynasty.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Intention good, execution bad.

SmoothPancakes
05-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Intention good, execution bad.

Agreed. I like the intention and the ideas they had and seem to have/had for Season Showdown, but the execution that we have seen of it, just horrible.

Dr Death
05-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Once again, I'm in the minority when I say that I actually LIKE Season Showdown.

I think I've seen three people that actually claim to like it. But let's look at it this way; if SS were gone next year and Stadium Creator was in, or the sidelines were authentic and realistic looking or Create A Play was in and actually functioned correctly, I believe the community as a whole would never miss SS. I don't how much disc space it takes up, but all the tracking on their main servers has to require some power. Do away w/ a feature that 99.9% of the community can't stand and add something in that 99.9% of the community will love, enjoy and use all the time and then we would have a winning situation.

steelerfan
05-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Plus it does deserve some respect as it paved the way for Dynasty Wire.

Fixed.

I think?

souljahbill
05-30-2011, 09:24 PM
I think I've seen three people that actually claim to like it. But let's look at it this way; if SS were gone next year and Stadium Creator was in, or the sidelines were authentic and realistic looking or Create A Play was in and actually functioned correctly, I believe the community as a whole would never miss SS. I don't how much disc space it takes up, but all the tracking on their main servers has to require some power. Do away w/ a feature that 99.9% of the community can't stand and add something in that 99.9% of the community will love, enjoy and use all the time and then we would have a winning situation.

All of those things would be nice but I SERIOUSLY doubt any or all of those things aren't being implemented because of Season Showdown. The things you named involve art assists, framerate, and/or A.I. Season Showdown just a system assigning numbers for good/bad things. It's almost like saying we could have all those things if they took out achievements/trophies.

steelerfan
05-30-2011, 09:26 PM
All of those things would be nice but I SERIOUSLY doubt any or all of those things aren't being implemented because of Season Showdown. The things you named involve art assists, framerate, and/or A.I. Season Showdown just a system assigning numbers for good/bad things. It's almost like saying we could have all those things if they took out achievements/trophies.

Good points.

ram29jackson
05-30-2011, 09:38 PM
it just gives you an idea of the number of people who pick certain teams as favorites to represent..

it may give negatives for stupid things but it still proves the majority are just kids who play a dishonest style .

I would probably rank number 1 in total punts haha

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 09:45 PM
All of those things would be nice but I SERIOUSLY doubt any or all of those things aren't being implemented because of Season Showdown. The things you named involve art assists, framerate, and/or A.I. Season Showdown just a system assigning numbers for good/bad things. It's almost like saying we could have all those things if they took out achievements/trophies.You are correct, sir.

Dr Death
05-30-2011, 10:27 PM

My point wasn't that SS is keeping those things, or any other thing, out of the game, my point was that SS would not be missed at all. Since they tend to add something new... or something old that is suddenly new again... :D every year, I threw out some things that people have been asking for. The past two years have seen massive upgrades and hopefully that will continue w/ NCAA 13. And next year, if SS is gone, I'd bet the house nobody would shed tear one over it.

souljahbill
05-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Season Showdown is like the mascot game. It's not "hurting" anything by being in the game. For people like me, it's there. If you don't like it, just ignore it.

Dr Death
05-31-2011, 12:29 AM
Season Showdown is like the mascot game. It's not "hurting" anything by being in the game. For people like me, it's there. If you don't like it, just ignore it.

While it may not be hurting anything, it gets very frustrating when you are up by 21 in the 3rd, and pass for 3 measly yards on 3rd and 2 and get deducted points for being unsportsmanlike. It's absurd. So we're just supposed to run up the gut 3 straight times for no gain, punt the football and let the CPU come back?

When you run a strictly passing offense, SS is a major pain in the ass to have to sit there and be told how bad you are... I've adopted the attitude of F*ck it, I'm gonna do my thing and I could give f*ck-all what the game says about it... but it's like your mother-in-law who shows up unannounced. Yeah, she doesn't hurt anyone, but it's still annoying as all f*cking hell!

And none of this rant is directed at you Souljahbill... so please don't take offense or think I mean these things towards you.

souljahbill
05-31-2011, 06:19 AM
While it may not be hurting anything, it gets very frustrating when you are up by 21 in the 3rd, and pass for 3 measly yards on 3rd and 2 and get deducted points for being unsportsmanlike. It's absurd. So we're just supposed to run up the gut 3 straight times for no gain, punt the football and let the CPU come back?

When you run a strictly passing offense, SS is a major pain in the ass to have to sit there and be told how bad you are... I've adopted the attitude of F*ck it, I'm gonna do my thing and I could give f*ck-all what the game says about it... but it's like your mother-in-law who shows up unannounced. Yeah, she doesn't hurt anyone, but it's still annoying as all f*cking hell!

And none of this rant is directed at you Souljahbill... so please don't take offense or think I mean these things towards you.

No, I'm not offended at all. You're more then welcome to your opinion. But you do exactly what I was going to say do. Since you don't care about SS, then ignore it. If it tells you that you've lost 500 points for passing in the 4th or running up the score, who cares? If you're the star QB of your HS football team with the hot cheerleader girlfriend, do you care what that the nerd in algebra class thinks about your game? Doubt it.

I do think EA should give you the option of participating though. That should appease both camps.

baseballplyrmvp
05-31-2011, 08:52 AM
it really sucks when you're up by 28, and just starting the 4th quarter. and now you have to run every single play. if they could add in a rule that allowed you to pass the ball for less than 5 yards without penalty, i'd be a happy camper. for some teams, they use short passes as an extention of their running game.

JBHuskers
05-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Fixed.

I think?

No, it's framework paved the way for Online Dynasty.

CLW
05-31-2011, 11:54 AM
No, it's framework paved the way for Online Dynasty.

It seems odd but I'll take you for your word. Honestly, I'd rather had the OD work under wraps and not had the fiasco that was/is Season Showdown. The concept is interesting but INHERENTLY FLAWED and I'd be surprised if > 5% of NCAA gamers actually liked/cared about the feature.