PDA

View Full Version : What team do you have a soft spot for?

Cody
05-30-2011, 10:00 AM
What college team do you have a soft spot for?

For me it is Western Kentucky because their University is 10 minutes away

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Boise. I think it's the blue turf.

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Air Force, Army, Navy.

souljahbill
05-30-2011, 10:56 AM
UL-Lafayette - I went to graduate school there.

FIU - I went there to work a volleyball game in grad school and fell in love with their campus. It's BEAUTIFUL!

Wyoming - My favorite "worst-to-first" dynasty ever (NCAA 2004).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLW
05-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Air Force, Army, Navy.

DEFINITELY the Service Academies! Additionally the strong academic schools:

:Duke::Northwestern::Stanford::Rice::Virginia::Van derbilt:

DariusLock
05-30-2011, 12:27 PM
We all know I <3 Ole Miss.

2. Miami
3. Colorado

morsdraconis
05-30-2011, 01:40 PM
1. WVU - gotta love WVU in WV, it's my birthright
2. Service Academies - they have SUCH a rich history, it's almost impossible not to love them
3. Idaho and Akron - just somethin' about them - they're like the little engines that could, you wanna see them get over the mountain
4. Northwestern - Feel so bad for them being in a Big 10 that beats the shit out of them on a regular basis and for the fact that they haven't won a bowl game since 1949 (currently the longest streak in NCAA history without a bowl victory).

ram29jackson
05-31-2011, 05:56 PM
UCLA, Syracuse,FAU, Florida State

Keontez
05-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Navy and Georgia Tech

jaymo76
05-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Idaho...

SmoothPancakes
06-01-2011, 05:06 AM
Navy and Georgia Tech

Agreed on Georgia Tech. For me, simply because Paul Johnson is there coach. Whatever team the man who started Navy down the path they are at today coaches at, I will always have a soft spot for that team and hope to see them do good, simply because he is coaching them.

NaptownMVP
06-01-2011, 10:26 AM
:Indiana:

Closest big time college football team to me. Wish they were in another conference, because there's no way they get anything done against the :Ohio_State:s and :Michigan:s of the B1G TEN.

And I guess :Ball_State:, since they have a few thousand of my dollars. :fp:

fsuprime
06-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Michigan State since my grandpa played there and I like the simple color scheme and watching some of their players over the years.

Deuce
06-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Air Force and Navy.

Cody
06-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Also Army, dad attended there.

Geauxlden
06-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Florida State, it was the out of state school that seemed to really recruit Louisiana kids when I was in jr. high and high school. Also visited there once and loved the scenery.

psuexv
06-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Hoops wise... Duke. Football Virginia Tech

psusnoop
06-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Hoops UNC, football LSU

souljahbill
06-02-2011, 08:38 AM
LOL at having a "soft spot" for Duke and UNC basketball. Those poor poor programs with their hall of fame coaches and their rich basketball history. You can't help but to root for these little guys.

Boucher
06-02-2011, 07:47 PM
SMU love me some June Jones

JeffHCross
06-05-2011, 12:50 PM
LOL at having a "soft spot" for Duke and UNC basketball.Yeah, I think this switched from "soft spot" to "who do you root for". :D

Iron Dragon
06-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Toledo, Air Force.

SmoothPancakes
06-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Agree with Toledo. Also Bowling Green for me. Went to multiple games of each growing up as a kid through my junior high and high school football coaches being able to get hooked up with ticket bundles for us to go. My senior year, our entire team went to see Bowling Green in November after our HS season had ended. We caught their game against Marshall when they had all of their prospects they were recruiting there for the game.

souljahbill
06-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I think this switched from "soft spot" to "who do you root for". :D

Yeah, that's why I didn't say Southern Miss in my post. I root for my alma mater hardcore but I keep a lookout for the scores of my "soft spot" schools just to see how they did, hoping they won but usually they don't.

SmoothPancakes
06-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Another team I just remembered, since this has ventured from college football to seemingly any college team. The Denver Pioneers. I've been rooting for the Pioneers for basketball, hockey and lacrosse for years, right alongside Navy.

It's been a great, and yet tough year. Denver made the playoffs in hockey, but lost in the second round to North Dakota. And then they made it all the way to the semifinals of the playoffs in lacrosse, even knocking off Johns Hopkins along the way, only to lose in the semis.

jaymo76
06-05-2011, 11:56 PM
UTEP... I love the Sun Bowl stadium, the school colours, etc and though I never see UTEP up here in the great white north I always cheer for them on the scorelines whether it be basketball or football.

:UTEP:

souljahbill
06-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Another team I just remembered, since this has ventured from college football to seemingly any college team. The Denver Pioneers. I've been rooting for the Pioneers for basketball, hockey and lacrosse for years, right alongside Navy.

It's been a great, and yet tough year. Denver made the playoffs in hockey, but lost in the second round to North Dakota. And then they made it all the way to the semifinals of the playoffs in lacrosse, even knocking off Johns Hopkins along the way, only to lose in the semis.

Not sure if they're still in the Sunbelt or not but when I was at UL-Lafayette, they were in our conference. We played them in volleyball and they pretty much ripped through us everytime, especially in they're house when we would run out of breath quickly.

psuexv
06-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I think this switched from "soft spot" to "who do you root for". :D

I took it as more of a ... other than your team, who do you tend to pull for.....

SmoothPancakes
06-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Not sure if they're still in the Sunbelt or not but when I was at UL-Lafayette, they were in our conference. We played them in volleyball and they pretty much ripped through us everytime, especially in they're house when we would run out of breath quickly.

Yeah, they're currently still in the Sun Belt conference for all sports (except football since they don't have a football team, hockey where they are in the WCHA, men's lacrosse where they are a member of the ECAC, and a couple other sports not sponsored by the Sun Belt are in other conferences), but they are leaving the Sun Belt and moving to the WAC in July 2012.

gschwendt
06-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Yeah, they're currently still in the Sun Belt conference for all sports (except football since they don't have a football team, hockey where they are in the WCHA, men's lacrosse where they are a member of the ECAC, and a couple other sports not sponsored by the Sun Belt are in other conferences), but they are leaving the Sun Belt and moving to the WAC in July 2012.
And thank the Lord for that! I've been ready to dump them ever since we got rid of Utah State, Idaho, and New Mexico State.

stanfordfan1
07-06-2011, 01:56 AM
cal stanford usc ucla nevada fresno state san jose state oregon notre dame kansas state

lilblaze
07-06-2011, 03:27 AM
"THE" Oregon Ducks

SmoothPancakes
07-06-2011, 03:48 AM
"THE" Oregon Ducks

:fp:

bdoughty
07-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Rice, especially when they were part of the SWC.

baseballplyrmvp
07-17-2011, 11:20 PM
"THE" Oregon Ducks

:fp:

:D :D

cjg225
07-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Well, if my rooting interests are the Empire State Building, my love for Penn State is at the top of the flag pole atop the building.

My "soft spot" teams are Alabama and Georgia. They'd probably be around the 20th floor. I've always liked classic programs, and from living in Alabama and southern Georgia (read: northern Florida), I just like those teams. I wear an Alabama hat occasionally, which is the only non-Penn State piece of NCAA clothing I own. I root for them all the time (except when Alabama plays PSU, such as last year and this coming season). I wish Georgia could make a leap up. Richt seems like he can get the team sooo close, but just not there. This past year was disappointing to me as someone who has a "soft spot" for Georgia, but not nearly as frustrating and depressing to me as PSU's season was, showing the difference in level of love.

Most other teams are around the 1st floor, just slightly above indifference, enough to make me root for them whenever they play teams I don't like, who'd be the lowest of the ground floors.

Then there are teams I hate. They'd be at the center of the Earth, because my hatred for them is that much.

And then there is... a team I hate so much that my hatred knows no bounds. I cannot describe where this team would even be on the continuum. It's really not even there. I refuse to speak the team's name, much to the confusion of my friends who constantly try to get me to slip up and say the team's name (they know what it is; I can describe the school).

Florida State, it was the out of state school that seemed to really recruit Louisiana kids when I was in jr. high and high school. Also visited there once and loved the scenery.
:o

Wow, well... I guess tastes differ. lol I lived in Tallahassee for a few years and was never impressed by FSU's campus or facilities, or the area itself, as it were.

bdoughty
07-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Florida State. Also visited there once and loved the scenery.

I recall Ted Bundy saying the exact same thing.

lilheavy
07-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Texas A&M

Buckeyes551
07-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Aside from the service schools it's UVA because of George Welsh making them relevant and Groh just killing their recruiting and I HATE Virginia Tech. Also have a soft spot for Auburn since my buddy goes there and I've watched alot of their games and was at the Arkansas game last season. Of course no one beats out Ohio State on the top of my list of teams.

OptionMasta
07-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Well, if my rooting interests are the Empire State Building, my love for Penn State is at the top of the flag pole atop the building.

My "soft spot" teams are Alabama and Georgia. They'd probably be around the 20th floor. I've always liked classic programs, and from living in Alabama and southern Georgia (read: northern Florida), I just like those teams. I wear an Alabama hat occasionally, which is the only non-Penn State piece of NCAA clothing I own. I root for them all the time (except when Alabama plays PSU, such as last year and this coming season). I wish Georgia could make a leap up. Richt seems like he can get the team sooo close, but just not there. This past year was disappointing to me as someone who has a "soft spot" for Georgia, but not nearly as frustrating and depressing to me as PSU's season was, showing the difference in level of love.

Most other teams are around the 1st floor, just slightly above indifference, enough to make me root for them whenever they play teams I don't like, who'd be the lowest of the ground floors.

Then there are teams I hate. They'd be at the center of the Earth, because my hatred for them is that much.

And then there is... a team I hate so much that my hatred knows no bounds. I cannot describe where this team would even be on the continuum. It's really not even there. I refuse to speak the team's name, much to the confusion of my friends who constantly try to get me to slip up and say the team's name (they know what it is; I can describe the school).

:o

Wow, well... I guess tastes differ. lol I lived in Tallahassee for a few years and was never impressed by FSU's campus or facilities, or the area itself, as it were.

I don't think that's the scenery he's talking about.

SmoothPancakes
08-06-2011, 02:43 AM
Well, Navy is obviously and easily my favorite team. I suppose I sort of have a soft spot for Air Force and Army, being the other service academies, though I wouldn't shed a tear if their football teams went 0-12. :D

A team that I have grown a serious soft spot for just in the last month and a half, Florida International. Ever since I chose FIU to be my team in the TGT Coach Mode OD, and subsequently made them my team for my offline dynasty, I have become rather attached to Florida International. I have multiple sites favorited (ESPN's FIU football page, multiple football pages on the FIU Athletics site, etc) that I visit pretty much daily, I can name probably half their starting players by full name, I even added FIU as my 2nd favorite team, right behind Navy, on my ESPN customization page.

And I can't wait for college football to start up, because FIU has a number of televised games this year.

Thursday, September 1st vs. North Texas on ESPN3
Friday, September 9th at Louisville on ESPN and ESPN3
Saturday, September 17th vs. UCF on ESPN3
Saturday, October 1st vs. Duke on ESPN3
Tuesday, October 18th at Arkansas State on ESPN2 and ESPN3
Tuesday, October 25th vs. Troy on ESPN2 and ESPN3.

And I'm going to be watching every single one of those games, except for Louisville which I'll have to record since I run studio on our AM station for HS football games on Friday nights. Regardless, half the 2011 FIU season televised, and I can't wait. :nod:

So they have definitely become a soft spot team for me, and with as attached of sorts that I have become with them, hell, I'll probably adopt them as a second favorite team before this season is over. :D

TheRezyReb
08-09-2011, 07:12 AM
OLE MISS!!!! Service acads....... love Army's Digital Camo

dubvcrazy05
08-11-2011, 09:26 AM
WVU is my favorite team and they always willl be. I believe I'm if not the biggest one of the biggest Mountaineer fans in southern WV. But I have a soft spot for Nebraska, I don't know what it is, I just like Nebraska.

souljahbill
08-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Well, Navy is obviously and easily my favorite team. I suppose I sort of have a soft spot for Air Force and Army, being the other service academies, though I wouldn't shed a tear if their football teams went 0-12. :D

A team that I have grown a serious soft spot for just in the last month and a half, Florida International. Ever since I chose FIU to be my team in the TGT Coach Mode OD, and subsequently made them my team for my offline dynasty, I have become rather attached to Florida International. I have multiple sites favorited (ESPN's FIU football page, multiple football pages on the FIU Athletics site, etc) that I visit pretty much daily, I can name probably half their starting players by full name, I even added FIU as my 2nd favorite team, right behind Navy, on my ESPN customization page.

And I can't wait for college football to start up, because FIU has a number of televised games this year.

Thursday, September 1st vs. North Texas on ESPN3
Friday, September 9th at Louisville on ESPN and ESPN3
Saturday, September 17th vs. UCF on ESPN3
Saturday, October 1st vs. Duke on ESPN3
Tuesday, October 18th at Arkansas State on ESPN2 and ESPN3
Tuesday, October 25th vs. Troy on ESPN2 and ESPN3.

And I'm going to be watching every single one of those games, except for Louisville which I'll have to record since I run studio on our AM station for HS football games on Friday nights. Regardless, half the 2011 FIU season televised, and I can't wait. :nod:

So they have definitely become a soft spot team for me, and with as attached of sorts that I have become with them, hell, I'll probably adopt them as a second favorite team before this season is over. :D

You should see their campus. It's BEAUTIFUL. The architecture there was stunning to me when I went with the UL-Lafayette volleyball team to play a conference game back in '04.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk