PDA

View Full Version : Sony Official 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound Wirless Headset $99

DariusLock
05-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Coming soon... (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/27/new-official-wireless-stereo-headset-coming-for-ps3/)

I know a bunch of you were talking about headsets, this is the best deal I've seen on wireless virtual surround sounds.

steelerfan
05-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Cool, for $100 bucks, these may be what I want.

cdj
05-28-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't care for my current gaming headset, so I may have to pick this one up this fall.

CLW
05-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Yeah I have been looking at getting a headset for sometime now. I wonder how they will compare to some of the more expensive headsets like the Astros.

fsuprime
05-29-2011, 08:39 AM
can you recharge these wireless things like the ps3 controllers? or do i have to buy millions of batteries.

DariusLock
05-29-2011, 11:00 AM
From the pictures, I don't see where batteries would go in. It's official Sony and everything else Sony has released charges with USB. Says it comes with a USB Wireless Adapter, so you probably plug into it or free usb port to charge when not using.

I OU a Beatn
05-29-2011, 11:08 AM
$100 is an awful lot for stereo headphones with a microphone. For $50 more, you can get full surround sound with the microphone.

DariusLock
05-29-2011, 11:13 AM
They're not full on surround sound, but they are 7.1 Virtual which means that it will sound like surround sound. So it's not like you're paying for Stereo head phones, plus that 50$ more you're talking about is probably a wired system or not that good of quality.

steelerfan
05-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Wireless is what sells me. As long as there isn't a bunch of buzzing/hissing/feedback, I'm good.

fsuprime
05-29-2011, 11:48 AM
if it is wireless and charges via USB (even if i have to buy another extended wire like I did for my controller) than I will get these, sounds great.

I OU a Beatn
05-29-2011, 11:57 AM
They're not full on surround sound, but they are 7.1 Virtual which means that it will sound like surround sound. So it's not like you're paying for Stereo head phones, plus that 50$ more you're talking about is probably a wired system or not that good of quality.

They say it sounds like surround sound to get you to buy it, just like they got me to buy 3 "virtual" surround sound headsets before I said screw it and ended up forking over the money for what I really wanted. Rest assured, it's nothing more than a stereo headset with a microphone imbedded in it. There's nothing wrong with that, but that does seem incredibly pricey. Of course, Sony does charge about $50 for a bluetooth headset when you get can very good ones for under $20. :D

On the flip side, Microsoft does the same with their wireless headset.

If you want full surround sound with a microphone, Turtle Beach, Tritton, and Sharkoon both start off around $150 for the wired version. Obviously, you're going to be paying more for a wireless version. Turtle Beach has a wireless surround sound headset that's $160 and even though it's designed for the 360, it does work with the PS3 now. It says it's surround sound, but I'm pretty sure it's also "virtual" or simulated. It's here. (http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming-headsets/ear-force-x41.aspx)

Regardless, for $100, you're basically getting an average priced stereo headset with a microphone and the convenience of being wireless.

JeffHCross
05-29-2011, 12:10 PM
I have a "virtual" surround sound system for my TV, and trust me it's nothing like true 7.1. It's still better than regular stereo, but it's not at all actual 7.1.

Plus, those are hideous.

fsuprime
05-29-2011, 12:13 PM
I accidentally stepped on my turtle beach 50 dollar headset a few weeks ago and was thinking of getting basically the same set as a replacement but since no FPS games look very appealing until BF3 and MW3 I think this one will do...wireless + usb recharge is enough to pay an extra 50 for me.

I OU a Beatn
05-29-2011, 12:24 PM
I accidentally stepped on my turtle beach 50 dollar headset a few weeks ago and was thinking of getting basically the same set as a replacement but since no FPS games look very appealing until BF3 and MW3 I think this one will do...wireless + usb recharge is enough to pay an extra 50 for me.

It wouldn't affect you in that case. The Turtle Beaches you had were stereo, too, so it'll probably sound a tad bit better if not the same. I just think this is an about half dirty way of tricking people into thinking they're getting a great deal on a "surround sound" headset when it's not going to come even remotely close to sounding as good as surround sound. $100 for a stereo headset and microphone is a little pricey, too, even if it was wireless. $70 or $80 I could see.

fsuprime
05-29-2011, 12:43 PM
true, yea I know it was only 'virtual' and I assume all of these headsets have that 'hiss' when there is no sound input unless you get those pricier ones that have the extra pieces (which I assume you have?)

I am thinking I will have to wait and see on these now though, to make sure I can plug em into the PC if needed.

I OU a Beatn
05-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I've tried most of the ones you can. I've bought and returned at least 8 different headsets. All of them had that hiss, which is really annoying, but not something that would hold it back for me. The thing that bugged me the most was the fact the sound quality just wasn't that good, it was just really loud so it would cover up the fact that it wasn't surround sound.

I never understood the hiss. I mean, I could if they were wireless, but all the ones I tried were wired, so there was really no excuse for there being a constant hissing noise.

fsuprime
05-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Do any of the PC headsets work with the ps3? I just noticed Razer makes a pair as do a few other companies (I like my razer mouse), it seems like someone would come along and offer a high quality headset for the ps3/360 with the popularity of FPS games and such...something in the 150 dollar range with something close to Bose quality sound.

I OU a Beatn
05-29-2011, 02:07 PM
They do:

Sharkoon (http://www.amazon.com/Sharkoon-X-Tatic-Surround-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B003H4QIC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306695965&sr=8-1)
Tritton AX Pro (http://www.amazon.com/Tritton-Digital-Precision-Gaming-Headset-Pc/dp/B0017IUFAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306695979&sr=8-1)

Both are full surround sound and in that price range and both have gotten very good reviews. I never tried either one, though. I was going to try the Sharkoon, but I was so disappointed with having to return another headset before, I just forced myself to pay more than I wanted and get an Astro.

I OU a Beatn
05-29-2011, 02:11 PM
As for Razer:

Razer Chimaera (http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Chimaera-RZ04-00480100-R3U1-Gaming-Headset/dp/B004TP9RN8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1306696100&sr=8-2)

It says it's for 360, but I'm sure it would work with PS3, too. It's expensive, though at almost $200.

IF your TV has the digital audio out, then you can use any headset if you buy an adapter(this is how I used to do it). I sincerely doubt you'll get the surround sound effect, but if you get a headset with big drivers in it, you might not be able to notice.

fsuprime
05-29-2011, 02:56 PM
yea tv is brand new panasonic plasma so im sure it has it,
i used to connect my turtle beach 21 to an A/V cable I had connected to the ps3 (for sound only) while using HDMI for the video...I assume this A/V cable is the digital audio out for the ps3?

fsuprime
05-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Q: Do the Razer Chimaera headsets work on my PS3?

A: The Razer Chimaera headsets are built primarily for Xbox 360 ownage. While the audio signal of the PS3 can be picked up by the Razer Chimaera, the voice communication only works on the Xbox 360 or the PC.

*this seems strange to me* if it works for the PC than if i purchased a USB adapter wouldn't the mic work on ps3 as well?

hmmm so I guess chimaera at this time is not an option, but Im not in a complete hurry to purchase...good to know there are a few choices (like the triton) which can work on the ps3 and seem to deliver very good sound, 60 bucks more than this PS3 version doesn;'t seem terrible and they all seem to charge from a Base and do not need batteries.

DariusLock
05-30-2011, 12:15 PM
The Triton's are wired...but they are good. I have the AX Pro's 5.1 SS and I can hear everything in the game. Also really good when I put on a blue-ray war movie at night...I'm in the middle of the war and everyone else is sleeping silently!

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Now that I'm in a 1-bedroom again, I'm not so sure I would want this for the $99 price point. But damn it looks tempting.

fsuprime
05-30-2011, 12:54 PM
:/ the razer really is what I want but there is no news of them releasing it for ps3 (which seems weird, 50 million users they are not trying to tap into)

I OU a Beatn
05-30-2011, 01:14 PM
There's always this. (http://www.amazon.com/Programmable-Wireless-Surround-Bluetooth-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6N64Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306779155&sr=8-3) Does it absolutely have to be wireless for you? There's a lot of more than good enough solutions at great prices but most of the ones I've used are wired. I was never big on it having to be wireless.

fsuprime
05-30-2011, 01:31 PM
haha, nah it does not have to be wireless, i just liked the price point on amazon prime of 184 and free shipping, and I like razer products...I am hoping by the time mw3/bf3 or maybe by August I guess that it is ps3 capable or the creative labs set (which seems similar) gets released...Honestly the wired ones would be fine with me (wireless would make my wife a little bit more happy), maybe by the fall those blackops elite TT's will be cheaper lol.

I OU a Beatn
05-30-2011, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath, Razer seems to work exclusively on PC/360 stuff. They just recently released a controller that is fully customizable and it's only on 360. If you're willing to go wired, you can get solid ones from Tritton, Turtle Beach, and Sharkoon for all under $150.

ebarws6
05-30-2011, 02:10 PM
What do you think of the Turtle Beach PX5? Is it pretty much just the X41?

I OU a Beatn
05-30-2011, 03:12 PM
I never tried it, they released it after I bought my A40 so I never bothered with it. It's the same concept as the A40, as it has the two big drivers and then a mixamp that allows you to customize the sound to your liking. With the PX5, it's wireless. It's getting good reviews on Amazon, so I'd say it's a pretty sound investment if you're in the need for a surround sound headset. It also has the ability to morph your voice, which is sweet. It's also upgradeable via updates on the TB website, so that's cool as well.