PDA

View Full Version : Sony's next console in development

DariusLock
05-26-2011, 09:19 PM
PS4? (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1170944p1.html)

Sony announces new console in development.

CLW
05-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Not surprising. I just hope they learned the lesson of not letting MS beat them out of the gate by a significant amount of time. Americans will buy the 1st next-gen console out on the market and if Sony's PS4 isn't out roughly the same time as the 720 they will be a distant 2nd fiddle for another entire generation of consoles.

DariusLock
05-27-2011, 01:56 AM
Looks like they will win, Microsoft just started hiring developers for their next-gen console in March. Looks like PS has been working on theirs for a little while.

I OU a Beatn
05-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Sony's in a different boat than Microsoft, though. As far as I know, Sony is STILL losing money on every PS3 they sell. Their software attachment rate also isn't nearly as high as Microsoft's. Not to mention the 360 has been selling incredibly well the past several months, especially in America. I personally doubt we see a new console from Sony until late 2012 or early 2013 if even then.

When they do release one, they need to have a much bigger emphasis in online interface. There's no cross game chat, there's no cross game invite system, there's no party system, the interface for trophies is slow and clunky, there's a very limited profile page, etc..These are all facets where Microsoft and it's Live service just run all over Sony, so it definitely needs to be improved for the next generation.

oweb26
05-27-2011, 08:36 AM
The no cross game chat was a killer for me. Honestly I really don't know what a new console can do besides make bigger games with better graphics. The worse thing they can do is put to much focus on movement controls.

I OU a Beatn
05-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Yeah, the sooner this motion control garbage fad goes by the wayside the better.

SmoothPancakes
05-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Sony's in a different boat than Microsoft, though. As far as I know, Sony is STILL losing money on every PS3 they sell. Their software attachment rate also isn't nearly as high as Microsoft's. Not to mention the 360 has been selling incredibly well the past several months, especially in America. I personally doubt we see a new console from Sony until late 2012 or early 2013 if even then.

When they do release one, they need to have a much bigger emphasis in online interface. There's no cross game chat, there's no cross game invite system, there's no party system, the interface for trophies is slow and clunky, there's a very limited profile page, etc..These are all facets where Microsoft and it's Live service just run all over Sony, so it definitely needs to be improved for the next generation.

Yeah, these are all major things for me. Being able to party chat, cross game chat, and cross game invites, a party system, I seriously couldn't imagine an Xbox Live with those. I've wanted to get a PS3 in the past, but ultimately, various factors keep me from doing so, and would potentially cause the same with the PS4. Same things listed above, if there is cross game chat, party system, etc, or not.

Right now, besides those, the main factors that keep me solely on 360, is 95% of my friends play 360. There are literally less than 10 of my RL friends who play PS3. As well, there are more exclusive games I like to play on 360, as well I am used to the 360 controls a lot more than I would be the PS3. The only PS3 exclusives that would interest me essentially, at least right now, would be Heavy Rain and MLB The Show, maybe some others here and there, but right now those would be the only two games I would look at that are exclusive to PS3. Otherwise, I'd probably just continue buying all my games on 360, much like I pretty much continued buying the large majority of my games for PS2 when I had both a PS2 and original Xbox.

For me, the future gaming systems, it's all going to depend on how the systems themselves perform, exclusive games to each system, and the things you listed, the various features that, at this moment, Microsoft is easily beating Sony in. But, we're still a couple years away from that point that we have to worry about it, so we'll see what happens. Plus I know for me, much like with this generation, I didn't get my 360 until late 2008 just due to all the issues the launch consoles were having. So even when the new consoles come out, it'll be at least a year or two probably before I go and make the jump to the new systems. Let some newer versions hit the marketplace that have launch bugs and other issues already fixed.

I OU a Beatn
05-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I'm the exact same way, which is a lot coming from me, as I've been on Playstation since day one. I had the original PS1, had a launch day PS2, and launch day PS3. I tried the original Xbox for a day before I got rid of it, and although I did have a launch 360, I never really used it. 99% of my time was on PS3...until they launched the NXE with the party system. That's when I fell in love with Live. Ever since then, it's been the exact opposite - 99% of my time is on 360. The only reason I still have my PS3 is because of the possibility of a future exclusive I'd want, and I'm too lazy to sell it. :D

CLW
05-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Looks like they will win, Microsoft just started hiring developers for their next-gen console in March. Looks like PS has been working on theirs for a little while.

That doesn't stop MS from starting later but finishing quicker (even if it means RROD 2.0) to be 1st in the market place.

SmoothPancakes
05-27-2011, 10:29 AM
If MS has any brains, they will make damn sure there is no chance for RROD in the next console. MS has taken hell in the gaming community for it, and while the 360 may still be selling like hotcakes right now, if MS ships out a console and it's RROD hell all over again like it was the first time around, that is one surefire to hand the console wars of the next gen to Sony. Read around the internet, and tons of people are already pissed at MS for having multiple consoles of theirs RROD. If they have to go through that hell all over again, I can guarantee that would be the breaking point for a bunch of them and push them to Sony and PS4.

steelerfan
05-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah, the sooner this motion control garbage fad goes by the wayside the better.

+1

CLW
05-27-2011, 03:40 PM
If MS has any brains, they will make damn sure there is no chance for RROD in the next console. MS has taken hell in the gaming community for it, and while the 360 may still be selling like hotcakes right now, if MS ships out a console and it's RROD hell all over again like it was the first time around, that is one surefire to hand the console wars of the next gen to Sony. Read around the internet, and tons of people are already pissed at MS for having multiple consoles of theirs RROD. If they have to go through that hell all over again, I can guarantee that would be the breaking point for a bunch of them and push them to Sony and PS4.

I don't buy that argument. They may have taken "heat" but they laughed all the way to the bank by basically putting out a flawed POS hardware 1st. If I were MS I'd do it again with the 720 in a heart beat.

skipwondah33
05-27-2011, 03:42 PM
I don't buy that argument. They may have taken "heat" but they laughed all the way to the bank by basically putting out a flawed POS hardware 1st. If I were MS I'd do it again with the 720 in a heart beat.
True which pisses me off a bit because I fell victim. Hell I even waited a bit to buy a 360. I'll still likely get another though

steelerfan
05-27-2011, 03:48 PM

Fool me once, shame on you......

morsdraconis
05-27-2011, 04:33 PM
I NEVER buy a console when it first comes out. I'm sorry, but with these consoles and the hurry up get it out the door as quickly as possible job that these console companies are doing, you'd be insane to pay $400+ for a console that might not even work right. Nevermind the fact that there are rarely, if ever, any games coming out for the system that are worth playing in the first 6 months of it's availability.

oweb26
05-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Actually the first batch of 360's werent the ones that fell victim to the RROD it was batches 2-250. lol Alot of the original 360 were just fine.

CLW
05-27-2011, 05:36 PM
True which pisses me off a bit because I fell victim. Hell I even waited a bit to buy a 360. I'll still likely get another though

Fool me once, shame on you......

See above as Exhibit A as to why MS will be able to get away with much worse if they want to beat Sony to the punch with the 720. Are there some 360 guys that won't buy one due to RROD? Definitely. However, that # (whatever it may be) dwarfs the # of extra units they sold of the 360 and will sell of the 720 if they beat Sony's PS4 by any significant amount of time.

MS could literally put a POS in a box and call it a new console and they'd still sell millions of units at launch. Then people would get pissed. MS would go into PR mode and win the console war again.

I OU a Beatn
05-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Actually the first batch of 360's werent the ones that fell victim to the RROD it was batches 2-250. lol Alot of the original 360 were just fine.

Yep, my launch 360 worked just fine without a single issue until I replaced it last September.

cdj
05-28-2011, 12:04 AM
Hopefully both Sony and Microsoft learn from their mistakes, but as of right now I can't say I am terribly excited about having to transition to a new console in a few years. I'd rather both go a year without some sort of snafu.

souljahbill
05-28-2011, 07:38 AM
I've always wondered how many 360s sold was to a repeat customer with a broken 360 and not to new customer. Yeah, Microsoft is selling another console but they aren't necessarily gaining any real marketshare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DariusLock
05-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Yeah, but some people I've known have bought like three XBox360's and then most of them finally buy a PS3. So they end up buy 3 XBOX 360's and then settle by buying 1 PS3. Even though XBOX lost that customer, they still made 700+$ off of him.

souljahbill
05-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Yeah, but some people I've known have bought like three XBox360's and then most of them finally buy a PS3. So they end up buy 3 XBOX 360's and then settle by buying 1 PS3. Even though XBOX lost that customer, they still made 700+$ off of him.

That's what I was getting at. If Microsoft sells 3 million consoles, are they to 3 million new people or are 2 million people buying a replacement because they have money invested into games and Live and don't want to take that loss?

CLW
05-28-2011, 10:46 AM
I've always wondered how many 360s sold was to a repeat customer with a broken 360 and not to new customer. Yeah, Microsoft is selling another console but they aren't necessarily gaining any real marketshare.

Doesn't matter to MS as it still = the same amount of $/profit. In fact, its probably better for them to have repeat customers buying a ton of units which still leaves room to increase their market share.

That's what I was getting at. If Microsoft sells 3 million consoles, are they to 3 million new people or are 2 million people buying a replacement because they have money invested into games and Live and don't want to take that loss?

souljahbill
05-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Doesn't matter to MS as it still = the same amount of $/profit. In fact, its probably better for them to have repeat customers buying a ton of units which still leaves room to increase their market share.

As long as they're getting money, I'm sure Microsoft doesn't care who's buying it but it makes me skeptical when they talk about how they can't keep them off shelves when it could be the same people buying it over and over. If they can't increase they're marketshare, it's going to hurt them whenever they're new joint drops. Fortunate for Microsoft, Kinect did just that.

lilheavy
05-28-2011, 02:13 PM

Why did they buy 3? Wasn't Microsoft fixing/replacing the 360 for free?

jaymo76
05-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Doesn't matter to me who comes out with a new system first. NEXT GEN NCAA/MADDEN have proven to me why I will NOT buy a new system until several years into development. Plus, what benefit would I see? Really... looka t how good PS3 productions already are. Blue Ray and 1080p.... I'm good. I'm sure one day I will upgrade to a PS4 but after RROD on 360... never again xbox... never again!!!

I OU a Beatn
05-28-2011, 02:59 PM

It's not just Microsoft, I'm on the 4th PS3. I'm just pretty sure that Sony does a much better job of covering it up than Microsoft does.

fsuprime
05-29-2011, 08:50 AM
I have had my PS3 for 5 years now or so, never had a problem

I had a RROD on my 360 and received a replacement, but I have not used the xbox360 for a video game in well over 3 years...I have only turned it on out of curiosity to see if it works. Seriously thinking of getting new games for the 360 though (not football) simply because I feel that what I have read about developers having an easier time making games for xbox means superior product...it might be out of laziness but it is a path of least resistance and I must follow it I guess...

This same idea may make me get the xbox 720 over a ps4 in the future but as others have said I will wait

IOU do you know if ncaa football plays smoother online on the xbox? you mentioned on TOS about madden playing great online, what system did u use for madden

Cody
05-29-2011, 09:32 AM
May get this instead of getting the PS3 this winter. Right now I have the 360 but I want the exclusives such as the Show and GT5

UGA14
05-29-2011, 09:59 AM
I've had.. I think 4 Xboxes in total. I owned 2... one of them has been replaced twice, the other has never had an issue. I've got 2 PS3s and neither one of them have ever had an issue.

I OU a Beatn
05-29-2011, 11:14 AM
IOU do you know if ncaa football plays smoother online on the xbox? you mentioned on TOS about madden playing great online, what system did u use for madden

The frame rate and animations are usually smoother on the 360 version. I always buy the PS3 version simply because most of my friends have a PS3, but I always did think the 360 version played better. That goes for most other multiplatform games, too. I truly don't know why, you'd think 5 years in and developers would be able to get the different versions to perform equally.

As far as connection quality, both versions use P2P so it's virtually the same.

DariusLock
05-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Why did they buy 3? Wasn't Microsoft fixing/replacing the 360 for free?

His seemed to break after warranty and he didn't feel like waiting weeks for it to get fixed which I understand cause he was in some competitive gaming. I convinced him to get a PS3, he loved it and the rest is history.

JeffHCross
05-29-2011, 11:29 AM
May get this instead of getting the PS3 this winter.Unless you hear something announced at E3 this year (which I wouldn't expect), don't be expecting to see a PS4 for a couple years. Certainly not this winter. The PS3 was announced about 18 months before it was launched.

Microsoft has gone on record as thinking the 360 can last until 2015. I wouldn't be completely shocked to see the same theory from Sony. Just because they're working on R&D (which is all this news is talking about -- research and development) doesn't mean they're anywhere close to release.

jaymo76
05-29-2011, 04:03 PM
The price entry point for 4/720 will be huge. If it's like the PS3 it will be a LONG, LONG time before I upgrade. Witha family, home, bills, etc I just cannot justify a $700.00 dollar purchase.

JeffHCross
05-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Jaymo, pretty much every analyst is agreeing that neither Sony nor Microsoft will try a high price point again. Everyone seems to agree that a $400 or less price point is really the only way to survive in the market.

NatureBoy
05-29-2011, 04:29 PM
I have always bought a new gaming system on launch day but not anymore. Like others have already said, it takes developers years to get the games to where they should be. I can wait a few years until the prices have dropped and the games are good.

I OU a Beatn
05-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I fell for the $600 once, I wont do it again. $400 is my sweet spot personally.

jaymo76
05-29-2011, 04:46 PM
I have always bought a new gaming system on launch day but not anymore. Like others have already said, it takes developers years to get the games to where they should be. I can wait a few years until the prices have dropped and the games are good.

I suspect that a lot of people will take this position.

DariusLock
05-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Wish they could make it where PS3/4 could play games together if it comes out soon. I will not be buying a new system until like the first or second price drop. Took me a year to get a PS3 when they came out.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 12:08 PM
The earliest I ever got a console was the PS3 the February after it came out. I honestly think that we are at the time where the profit margin will start to shoot through the roof, and we are still AT LEAST five years away from a new console. I think this generation is going to last a long long time before a new one is introduced.

morsdraconis
05-30-2011, 01:44 PM
The earliest I ever got a console was the PS3 the February after it came out. I honestly think that we are at the time where the profit margin will start to shoot through the roof, and we are still AT LEAST five years away from a new console. I think this generation is going to last a long long time before a new one is introduced.

And games are going to continue to look like shit compared to playing them on the PC...

souljahbill
05-30-2011, 01:51 PM
And games are going to continue to look like shit compared to playing them on the PC...

Console games may not be as pretty as high end PC games but "looking like shit" is kind of a stretch.

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Console games may not be as pretty as high end PC games but "looking like shit" is kind of a stretch.Meet mors. He has the gift of overstatement. ;) :D

morsdraconis
05-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Meet mors. He has the gift of overstatement. ;) :D

;)

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Console games may not be as pretty as high end PC games but "looking like shit" is kind of a stretch.

That's just Mors' eff consoles, but I still will support them statement :D ;)

morsdraconis
05-30-2011, 03:07 PM
That's just Mors' eff consoles, but I still will support them statement :D ;)

If NCAA Football was on the PC, I wouldn't touch a console ever again. Everything else is exponentially better on the PC (Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Shooters, etc).

DariusLock
05-30-2011, 03:12 PM
If NCAA Football was on the PC, I wouldn't touch a console ever again. Everything else is exponentially better on the PC (Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Shooters, etc).

So that's why you felt the need to buy a PS3 and an XBOX? :)

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 03:20 PM
If NCAA Football was on the PC, I wouldn't touch a console ever again.If memory serves, Madden was not as good on the PC as consoles. In fact, I'm not sure any of the sports games I've played on both have been better on PC, except the old High Heat series. NASCAR Racing was certainly better than its console competitors, but I'm sure Papyrus would have put out a good console game if they tried.

souljahbill
05-30-2011, 03:21 PM

I tried to play the original Mass Effect on a PC through Steam and couldn't make it through the first mission. I don't care how much better a game may look or how fast the loading times are, if I have to control my character with a keyboard, it's automatically the worst version. How anyone can play anything with a keyboard is beyond me.

gschwendt
05-30-2011, 04:56 PM
I tried to play the original Mass Effect on a PC through Steam and couldn't make it through the first mission. I don't care how much better a game may look or how fast the loading times are, if I have to control my character with a keyboard, it's automatically the worst version. How anyone can play anything with a keyboard is beyond me.

Keyboard/mouse is infinitely better once you get used to it, especially for shooters.

souljahbill
05-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Keyboard/mouse is infinitely better once you get used to it, especially for shooters.

Mouse, I can understand. Not keyboard. For me, analog sticks > keyboard.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 05:30 PM

Just giving you shit :)

morsdraconis
05-30-2011, 06:44 PM
If memory serves, Madden was not as good on the PC as consoles. In fact, I'm not sure any of the sports games I've played on both have been better on PC, except the old High Heat series. NASCAR Racing was certainly better than its console competitors, but I'm sure Papyrus would have put out a good console game if they tried.

Actually, NBA 2k11 is QUITE good on the PC and has taken up quite a bit of my PC time since upgrading.

As for Madden, 07 and 08 (last version they made for the PC) were also very good for their time. The online lobby wasn't great, but connecting directly via IP worked wonderfully for the leagues that I played in back in the day and you had the ability to create teams with imported logos and stuff and be really fancy with them.

Mouse, I can understand. Not keyboard. For me, analog sticks > keyboard.

See, I grew up playing games on a PC well before I ever touched a console. I'm a PC junkie at heart and always will be.

As for Mass Effect, the reason why it's better on the PC is because Mass Effect was basically a shooter. There was no reason to ever play it another way which resulted in it being crap for the consoles because playing a shooter is infinitely better on a PC where I'm actually shooting at what I'm aiming at instead of fighting aim assist all the time and invariably missing because of it.

Just giving you shit :)

:) I know, but I gotta take every chance I can to try to convince more people to say fuck a console, play a PC. ;)

fsuprime
05-30-2011, 07:36 PM
there really is no comparison with m+kb vs controller at all, its why almost every console shooter has built in auto aim to some degree, microsoft did a lot of studies on how to let pc ppl play vs console ppl on games like halo and the tests were a disaster.

I will say playing form an easy chair with a big screen and a controller instead of a m+kb is much more relaxing and since most of my friends play on console that is what i play shooters on now :)

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm better at shooters on consoles, but that's because I just plain suck at shooters. So aim assist is helpful for guys like me :D

souljahbill
05-30-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm better at shooters on consoles, but that's because I just plain suck at shooters. So aim assist is helpful for guys like me :D

I'm not good at shooters either but the only type of game I can play on a computer are simulation games like Rollercoaster Tycoon or The Sims. Like I said, I can understand why people like the mouse component of keyboard+mouse but I'll never understand how anyone can control a game with a keyboard.

gschwendt
05-30-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm not good at shooters either but the only type of game I can play on a computer are simulation games like Rollercoaster Tycoon or The Sims. Like I said, I can understand why people like the mouse component of keyboard+mouse but I'll never understand how anyone can control a game with a keyboard.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDo you use the wasd keys or the arrow keys? Wasd works because your fingers have easy access to so many keys. E for action R for reload, shift for run, space for jump, ctrl for crouch, g for grenade...and so on. It's second nature for me at this point.

souljahbill
05-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Do you use the wasd keys or the arrow keys? Wasd works because your fingers have easy access to so many keys. E for action R for reload, shift for run, space for jump, ctrl for crouch, g for grenade...and so on. It's second nature for me at this point.

WASD but it doesn't matter. As natural as it feels for you, it's completely unnatural for me. For me, a keyboard works best playing something like Typing of the Dead. Wii remote+nunchuck honestly works best for me when it comes to shooters.

I OU a Beatn
05-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Never played a shooter(or really any other game) on a PC. I first had a PS1 controller in my hands, then PS2, then 360, then PS3. I personally feel more comfortable with the 360 controller as it seems to fit my hands better. The DS3 is so damn small that I feel like I'm going to break the thing. Anyway, I have no problems aiming with the joysticks, which is why it bugs me when games lay it on thick with the aim assist.

IMO, online shooters should be all about who is better at aiming, but you rarely find that nowadays. It's more or less who can hide the best until someone runs by. :D

SmoothPancakes
05-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I would never get a single kill in a shooter on PC. The only games that I play on PC are stuff like the SimCity series, the Civilization series, the Total War series, R.U.S.E., World in Conflict, stuff like that. Stuff like shooters, sports games, etc, I would never stand a chance. I've grown up playing those genres on nothing but consoles, and console and a controller is the only place I know how to play them and know how to control them to the absolute best of my ability.

skipwondah33
05-31-2011, 10:13 AM
See above as Exhibit A as to why MS will be able to get away with much worse if they want to beat Sony to the punch with the 720. Are there some 360 guys that won't buy one due to RROD? Definitely. However, that # (whatever it may be) dwarfs the # of extra units they sold of the 360 and will sell of the 720 if they beat Sony's PS4 by any significant amount of time.

MS could literally put a POS in a box and call it a new console and they'd still sell millions of units at launch. Then people would get pissed. MS would go into PR mode and win the console war again.
Well I wouldn't get it at launch, I never get consoles at launch mainly because of the price and the demand. I just continue playing on the previous console then buy it down the line. It took me almost two years to get a 360 after it released. I'll get another 360 eventually if there is a great deal but likely not their new console until a year or so again after it releases.

morsdraconis
05-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I would never get a single kill in a shooter on PC. The only games that I play on PC are stuff like the SimCity series, the Civilization series, the Total War series, R.U.S.E., World in Conflict, stuff like that. Stuff like shooters, sports games, etc, I would never stand a chance. I've grown up playing those genres on nothing but consoles, and console and a controller is the only place I know how to play them and know how to control them to the absolute best of my ability.

Oh, I absolutely use a 360 controller from playing NBA 2k11 on my PC. It's impossible to play it without a controller.

With shooters, it's really just getting used to the speed of the mouse and how easy it is to just barely move your hand to aim in fairly different places. It's also the ability to have so many different buttons at your disposal on the keyboard in such a close proximity that makes it all the better.

JeffHCross
07-04-2011, 06:32 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/118/1180451p1.html

As reported by Digitimes, a Taiwanese manufacturer has claimed that a PlayStation 4 is on track for release in 2012, and that it will feature "body movement-based control like Kinect".

We're not remotely convinced by this, partly because it flies right in the face of Sony's much-publicised ten-year strategy for the PlayStation 3, and partly because Sony execs like Jack Tretton have been so very vocal about how un-bothered they are by Kinect and Wii U. A 2012 PS3 successor would be more than a little premature.