PDA

View Full Version : USC Ruling

JBHuskers
05-26-2011, 04:18 PM
I agree on the parts of the scholarships and you can't play in the Pac 12 Title Game. Hopefully something similar happens to Ohio State.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=6592663

CLW
05-26-2011, 04:20 PM
I agree on the parts of the scholarships and you can't play in the Pac 12 Title Game. Hopefully something similar happens to Ohio State.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=6592663

If the reports are true Ohio State's violations are more severe that U$C's and thus deserve a more severe punishment. U$C appears to be only a "few" isolated players. THE Ohio State appears to be an entire football program driving around in BMWs for the price of Kias.

JBHuskers
05-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah if "U$C"'s infractions are lesser, and they lost 30 scholarships over three years and can't play in the Pac 12 Title Game (which I think that is only 2011)....the Ohio State could be up the shit creek.

morsdraconis
05-26-2011, 08:30 PM
And I love every minute of it. Fuck the big boys.

baseballplyrmvp
05-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Yeah if "U$C"'s infractions are lesser, and they lost 30 scholarships over three years and can't play in the Pac 12 Title Game (which I think that is only 2011)....the Ohio State could be up the shit creek.

30 football scholarships because of 1 football player? and a 2 year bowl ban because that player played in 2 bowl games, even though the ncaa admitted that he met the rogue wanna-be agents after the first bowl game and then received benefits. how does that work?

AustinWolv
05-27-2011, 10:54 AM
30 football scholarships because of 1 football player? and a 2 year bowl ban because that player played in 2 bowl games, even though the ncaa admitted that he met the rogue wanna-be agents after the first bowl game and then received benefits. how does that work?
You really think it was just 1 player?
USC used Bush as the fall guy, but he was hardly the only one. Lots of special gifts and perks were being passed around to players.

JBHuskers
05-27-2011, 11:13 AM
And I love every minute of it. Fuck the big boys.

I think this isn't the first time you've said that :fp:

USC used Bush as the fall guy, but he was hardly the only one. Lots of special gifts and perks were being passed around to players.

Yeah definitely not the first guy. This goes way back.

SmoothPancakes
05-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Also, if I was some people, I'd be hoping to god none of this stuff ever sees the light of day at my school, with the way things have been and are going for USC and Ohio State. It's just going to get worse in the future for future offenders. And nobody try to say this doesn't or wouldn't happen at their school. BULLSHIT! This shit happens at every school. It just depends on how big or widespread it is, and how smart or stupid those involved are in regards to if it gets noticed by the school compliance office, the coaches, or the NCAA.

baseballplyrmvp
05-27-2011, 07:12 PM

go ahead and name names then. bush was the only football player mentioned/targeted in the ncaa's report....if there were more players involved, they would have been mentioned (there were two other football players that were hired by lake and michaels for summer internships, but they didnt receive any benefits). the only other athletes mentioned in the initial report (indirectly) were oj mayo and one lady from the tennis team who used a coach's phone card or something to make calls back to her home country.

Cody
05-29-2011, 08:02 AM
If Ohio State does get a ban from bowl games/ conference title games I shall be rooting for my current state team Kentucky

JeffHCross
05-29-2011, 03:16 PM
30 football scholarships because of 1 football player? and a 2 year bowl ban because that player played in 2 bowl games, even though the ncaa admitted that he met the rogue wanna-be agents after the first bowl game and then received benefits. how does that work?USC got hit with "lack of institutional control". Both the football program and basketball program were found to be not promoting compliance. There was a lot more going on than just Reggie Bush.

go ahead and name names then

the only other athletes mentioned in the initial report (indirectly) were oj mayo and one lady from the tennis team who used a coach's phone card or something to make calls back to her home country.Those are names, are they not? ;)

Among the report’s findings concerning Bush, the NCAA detailed 18 specific instances of violations by the running back and his family. Based largely on the relationship with several marketing agents, the violations included multiple cash payments, a house for Bush’s parents, an automobile outfitted with rims and a stereo system, airfare, hotel stays, limousine service, meals, auto repairs, clothing, furniture and appliances.

The NCAA detailed at least 12 instances of violations by Mayo, based on his relationship with a runner for a sports agency. Those violations included the receipt of cash, airfare, meals, training sessions, merchandise, wireless phones, the payment of phone bills, a television and other gifts and favors.

The investigation was split into four primary parts: Bush and the football program, Mayo and the basketball program, Niculescu and the women’s tennis program, and finally, the failure of the athletic department’s infrastructure when it came to overseeing and policing its programs and athletes.That last part is the biggest reason for USC's sanctions.

So far, and I emphasize so far, Ohio State has not been charged with any problems from an institutional standpoint. The car dealership question is still outstanding, but the charges that were levied against the university in April were limited to Tattoogate and Tressel. So far, the charges don't go any higher up the chain than Coach Tressel.

fsuprime
05-29-2011, 04:22 PM
A head coach knowing what is going on can easily lead to lack of institutional control, as well as the 50 phone calls from the AD to the dealer the AD lied about...either way as with the USC case, we will not have a ruling on Ohio St for quite some time.

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 10:41 AM
A head coach knowing what is going on can easily lead to lack of institutional controlA single head coach lying is not institutional. It's only that coach.

as well as the 50 phone calls from the AD to the dealer the AD lied about...Wasn't the AD. It was the compliance officer that claimed they hadn't made calls. Not the AD.

Besides, I was talking about the charges that have been levied so far. I'm not going to speculate about what's going to hit us next until it does. At this point, trying to look forward at Ohio State is a very ugly idea.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 10:44 AM
But at the same time.....if a head coach knowingly is letting things being swept under the rug, you'd think the rest of the staff knows too. That is what surprises me with Fickell even being an interim. But this is a bad time of year, so you can't really just clean house either. Catch-22

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 10:48 AM
But at the same time.....if a head coach knowingly is letting things being swept under the rug, you'd think the rest of the staff knows too.You would think if the head coach knows, the AD would know too. Since that's in their contracts. But that's pretty obviously not the case here. There's nothing "you would think" about this entire mess. Every indication Tressel gave was that the cover up started, and ended, with him. There's no indication he told anyone, either on the staff or in the athletic department. The only people he talked to were the lawyer, Pryor's family friend, and an FBI agent.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 10:52 AM
You would think if the head coach knows, the AD would know too. Since that's in their contracts. But that's pretty obviously not the case here. There's nothing "you would think" about this entire mess. Every indication Tressel gave was that the cover up started, and ended, with him. There's no indication he told anyone, either on the staff or in the athletic department. The only people he talked to were the lawyer, Pryor's family friend, and an FBI agent.

Is it me, or does this situation seem much more f'd up than anything else recent?

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Is it me, or does this situation seem much more f'd up than anything else recent?I completely agree. Every other "did he do it" situation involving a player or coach has at least involved some level of sense and logic. The only other weird ones recently were Pearl and Sampson, because they kept doing the same mistake over and over again. But even that has a level of logic to it -- repeat offenders as criminals aren't exactly uncommon.

But there's nothing about this that makes sense. Get e-mails from lawyer. Don't share them with your boss (which your contract says you are required to do). Don't share them with co-workers. Share them only with a friend of your player's family. Randomly contact the FBI, supposedly because a player is interested in a future with the FBI (this is actually believable, but makes no sense in the greater context of what was going on). Sign a piece of paper that says you have no knowledge of any wrong-doing.

All while recently publishing a book called "Life Promises for Success: Promises from God on Achieving Your Best". That might be the most surreal part of it all.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 11:01 AM
All while recently publishing a book called "Life Promises for Success: Promises from God on Achieving Your Best". That might be the most surreal part of it all.

Maybe God likes to break the rules too? :D

fsuprime
05-30-2011, 12:07 PM
A single head coach lying is not institutional. It's only that coach.
Wasn't the AD. It was the compliance officer that claimed they hadn't made calls. Not the AD.

Besides, I was talking about the charges that have been levied so far. I'm not going to speculate about what's going to hit us next until it does. At this point, trying to look forward at Ohio State is a very ugly idea.

ah thanks for the correction, thought it was AD for some reason.
yea I am trying to look at the whole picture, my post is based on the opinion that the SI article is going to be bad for tOSU and that the ncaa will look into all of this fluff stuff that has been in the papers lately *not just what they announced months ago before the shit hit the fan lol*

and you are right apparently the head coaching knowingly lying and cheating is not lack of institutional control to the ncaa.

CLW
05-30-2011, 01:41 PM
On The Ohio St. front. IMHO with what I know now I think the following would be a fair punishment:

(1) Vacating all wins (including any BCS $ being forfeited/donated to a charity) from last season due to inelligble players having played in all games
(2) Loss of 50 scholarships over the next 5 years
(3) Bowl Ban for the next 4 years
(4) No Big Ten championship game for the next 4 years

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 01:51 PM
No chance.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 02:34 PM
On The Ohio St. front. IMHO with what I know now I think the following would be a fair punishment:

(1) Vacating all wins (including any BCS $ being forfeited/donated to a charity) from last season due to inelligble players having played in all games
(2) Loss of 50 scholarships over the next 5 years
(3) Bowl Ban for the next 4 years
(4) No Big Ten championship game for the next 4 years

Based on what USC got, it's fair. Except I hate the vacating of wins....to me that is a stupid "penalty".

CLW
05-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Based on what USC got, it's fair. Except I hate the vacating of wins....to me that is a stupid "penalty".

To me it only matters b/c of the money schools get for the bowl games and for historical/all-time win counts. Unfortunately, the media seems to ignore these penalties completely (see CBS/ESPN coverage of Coach Calipari indicating his 3rd Final 4 with 3 Schools when really there is only one alleged Final 4 that is currently on the books and I doubt that one lasts).

The Ws is the least of my concern if they forefeited the BC$ money or were required to donate it to a charity like wounded warriors or some other worth while charity that would be fine as well.

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Based on what USC got, it's fair.Only if we get charged with institutional level problems, like USC did. I assume that's what CLW is betting on. His punishment doesn't fit the current charges, imo.

CLW
05-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Only if we get charged with institutional level problems, like USC did. I assume that's what CLW is betting on. His punishment doesn't fit the current charges, imo.

With the phone calls to the car dealer as well as the direction the facts are heading (quotes from former Ohio St. football players and basketball players saying "anyone would know what was going on" with the football team) I think its pretty clear the lack of institutional control charge/finding is coming and likely.

IF the NCAA doesn't bring those charges and/or make that finding we are probably looking at very little (if any) additional punishment.

However, the NCAA is CLEARLY looking to drain the swamp they have allowed to grow in recent years. I'd be very shocked/surprised if Ohio St. isn't found guilty of a lack of institutional control and some significant USC like punishments doesn't come within the next year.

morsdraconis
05-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Only if we get charged with institutional level problems, like USC did. I assume that's what CLW is betting on. His punishment doesn't fit the current charges, imo.

Only way that happens is if they pin all of it on Sweater Vest by sweeping under the rug some of the other more damning things that the administration did.

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 06:06 PM
With the phone calls to the car dealerShould the compliance director not be talking to the car dealership to make sure deals are legit? I agree that not keeping a story straight leads to smoke -> fire, but I thought the phone calls should have been happening. My mistake if so.

saying "anyone would know what was going on" with the football teamOnly person I've seen say that is Ray Small. His word isn't shit to me.

I agree with you that if "lack of institutional control" or whatever the "culture of compliance" charge is come down, then yes, we'll be in deep shit.

Only way that happens is if they pin all of it on Sweater Vest by sweeping under the rug some of the other more damning things that the administration did.Like? "Some of the other more damning things" are just allegations right now. Right now everything is effectively pinned on Tressel, by his own admission.

HuskerBlitz
05-30-2011, 07:36 PM
The Ohio State thing can be cited for lack of institutional control.

http://compliance.pac-10.org/thetools/instctl.pdf

See specifically page 3 #6 and #8.

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Can be, yes. But we haven't been yet. I'm not making any predictions on what else is going to come out or happen, because at this point I'm assuming the worst. But as of now, we haven't been charged with lack of institutional control. And I don't see that changing unless something else is proven.

HuskerBlitz
05-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Isn't the investigation ongoing?

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 08:14 PM
There are eleventy billion investigations ongoing, including ones by Ohio State, the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles, and the NCAA. But they made their initial charges, and that's what I'm basing my comments on. I'm not trying to predict the future.

ram29jackson
05-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Ohio State was in control alright, they orchestrated their own crap