PDA

View Full Version : Shipping NCAA Football with Multiple Discs

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-26-2011, 01:39 PM
i still push for the day of the double disc... one is an install disc for the "extra stuff" that people sometimes pass as trivial, intros, etc... the other disc is down and dirty all out full on gameplay packed finely tuned...

"E"

JBHuskers
05-26-2011, 01:41 PM
i still push for the day of the double disc... one is an install disc for the "extra stuff" that people sometimes pass as trivial, intros, etc... the other disc is down and dirty all out full on gameplay packed finely tuned...

"E"

Double disc would for 360. Most likely all that additional stuff would fit on a blu ray. L.A. Noire was three or four discs on the 360, only one on PS3.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-26-2011, 01:43 PM
yeah my thoughts were for 360... we can carry more junk in our trunks... :nod:

"E"

gschwendt
05-26-2011, 01:47 PM
double discs wouldn't work for ncaa because there's not a good cut off point. with a story based game there usually is a set spot in the story where you exchange discs. With a sports game, where would the cut off be? You can't ask the user to swap discs mid game.

JBHuskers
05-26-2011, 01:54 PM
double discs wouldn't work for ncaa because there's not a good cut off point. with a story based game there usually is a set spot in the story where you exchange discs. With a sports game, where would the cut off be? You can't ask the user to swap discs mid game.

It would basically be an install from the 2nd disc as opposed to getting it digitally. Or you could have extra video content (as just a bonus) on that one disc as well as data.

Solidice
05-26-2011, 01:59 PM

the only real way I see NCAA being able to make use of multiple disc is if the 2nd disc is an optional install(like Forza 3) consisting of things like additional stadiums/uniforms and expanded/additional commentary and/or cutscenes.

I see people in other forums say they could split the modes up, but that wouldn't be that helpful as all the modes need access to most of the same assets(art, audio, etc..).

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-26-2011, 02:09 PM
totally missed my point with 2 discs... but its not worth hijacking a thread... you wouldnt "swap discs" lol... you would load the "fluff" from disc 1 onto the console... then, play the game from disc 2, and instead of triggering the scenes from the disk it could point to a location on the console...

funny thoughts of a half time message in NCAA asking you to swap your disc for the second half... lol

carry on, just thinking out loud

"E"

gschwendt
05-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Agreed not to let it hijack the other thread but I also felt it a worthwhile discussion to have it's own thread.

The problem with multiple discs though is that pretty much everything you need to play the game (whether online, dynasty, RTG, etc.) all has to access the same information. As Solidice said, all of the art assets, etc. have to be accessible. And with Forza, the way they were able to do so is that the stuff on the extra disc isn't necessarily required... my understanding is that it's additional cars, racetracks, etc. that aren't required as part of the base game. You couldn't necessarily do this for NCAA though unless you put the bottom 60 teams on the second disc. But to do that, you're alienating the fans of Eastern Michigan that have a 4GB 360.

ram29jackson
05-26-2011, 05:42 PM
one disc costs enough

souljahbill
05-26-2011, 05:55 PM
First off, do we even know how much space is actually being used on the DVD? Is NCAA really 8 or 9 gigs? How big is a stadium file or a uniform file or roster database? Is it even really necessary?

The only thing I can really see it being necessary for is additional commentary teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solidice
05-26-2011, 06:17 PM
First off, do we even know how much space is actually being used on the DVD? Is NCAA really 8 or 9 gigs? How big is a stadium file or a uniform file or roster database? Is it even really necessary?

The only thing I can really see it being necessary for is additional commentary teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCAA 11 used up ~6.1GB* of the ~6.8GB^ partition developers are given to use on the 360 DVD disc.

*that size may not be exact as the dashboard update from I think '09 changed the install size by a small amount for some games.
^this size allowed to the developers will likely be closer to 7.8GB by the time NCAA 13 development starts(new disc image format MS will be rolling out with), so future releases will a little more possible space

DariusLock
05-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Come on XBOX gah fix your disc lol.

Boucher
05-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Id be interested to see if there was a huge difference in the game if both systems could hold 50 to 100 gb of data

morsdraconis
05-26-2011, 08:36 PM
I always install all the disks of all the games that I regularly play on my 360's HD (one of the things that REALLY burned me was the PS3's inability to do so) so that it's less wear and tear on the DVDrom and games load anywhere from a small bit faster to significantly faster (definitely noticeable for '11 from the 360 to playing it on the PS3 and how long it took to load things).

I'd be all for extra stuff that needed to be installed from a 2nd game disc. I have no problem with that at all and would definitely welcome it.

As for getting it to work correctly, give us the option. Have two different types of setups for the game. One that installs everything and one that installs just the art files or something (and takes up significantly less space than installing the whole disc).