PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football 12 Blog: Coach Carousel

cdj
05-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Designer Jordan Peterson has written a blog on the official product site to give you users a more in-depth view of Coaching Carousel (http://www.ea.com/ncaa-football/blog/coach-carousel) in NCAA Football 12.

Hi NCAA Football fans, NCAA Football 12 designer Jordan Peterson here, and it is my privilege to provide you with a more in-depth view of one of the new features in Dynasty, Coach Carousel. Coach Carousel has been one of the top requested features each year from the community and the new addition of coaches, and contracts, will add even more depth to Dynasty.

When starting an Online, or Offline Dynasty, you will be able to create a new coach or use an existing coach. There are three coach positions available: Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator and Defensive Coordinator. As the Head Coach, you will be in control of the entire team and held accountable for completing contract goals both on and off the field. Coordinators, however, are only responsible for their side of the ball, and the CPU coaches will run the other half. Only controlling one side of the ball creates additional drama to your Dynasty games as you watch each play of your CPU controlled offense attempting to march down the field for a game-winning drive. This can keep you on the edge of your seat, cheering your team to pull out the victory.

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/vignette/NCAABlogImages/Carousel5-24-2011/carousel1.jpg

In addition to the appearance options available when creating a new coach, there are a few that will affect the path your coach takes while climbing the coaching ladder. In particular, along with your coach’s playbooks, your coach’s Alma Mater may come into play later on during the Coach Carousel, so be certain you have it set correctly. Without getting into too many details, when considering potential candidates, schools will take a closer look at a coaching candidate who went to their school.

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/vignette/NCAABlogImages/Carousel5-24-2011/carousel2.jpg

I know the commissioners out there are wondering what type of setting options there will be in Online Dynasty for Coach Carousel. First, commissioners will be able to determine the starting Prestige and Coach Position for the Dynasty. Meaning the commissioner can set the Dynasty to start from the bottom of the barrel as a One Star Coordinator and climb their way to the top as a 6 Star Head Coach. The ability to move teams around via Custom Conferences provides even more flexibility, challenge and depth.

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/vignette/NCAABlogImages/Carousel5-24-2011/carousel3.jpg

Whether in Online or Offline Dynasty, you will be able to preview each contract before signing with a particular team, as well as that school’s current roster. Each contract displays the goals the school is requiring for a particular position, their positive and negative impact, and your starting Job Security. As a Head Coach, schools will offer contracts that require efficiency in recruiting and often have a focus upon overall number of total wins, bowl game appearances, and team rankings. Coordinators should expect contracts that focus on their area of expertise, but will also be on the hook to ensure that their side of the ball is excelling on the field.

Each goal in the contract is important, as both Coach Prestige and Job Security are impacted by passing and failing these goals. The arrow indication next to each goal highlights how important that goal is for that particular contract. Job Security determines if you are at risk of being fired based upon your completion or failure of your goals. The lower a Coach’s Job Security percentage is, the greater the risk of being fired.

There are three varying types of rewards for the goals. Required, but expected goals, will display as more red arrows than green. This is a base requirement for this contract for the school and it is expected that the coach must pass this goal. Then there are balanced goals, with both red and green arrows, that the school considers as something the coach should pass and is less challenging. Finally, the bonus goals are the goals with only green arrows. The school considers these stretch goals for the contract.

In addition to goal types varying by coaching position, goals are also tuned by prestige. A Head Coach at Akron will not have the same objectives as a Head Coach at Alabama. As the Alabama Head Coach, you may be penalized for not making it to a bowl game. However, as the Akron Head Coach, your contract may provide a bonus for making it to a bowl game. There are also unexpected goals that may not appear on the contract, but can provide a boost for overachieving coaches.

The type of goals for a Head Coach will differ from Coordinators rather significantly. As a Head Coach, there are goals for bowl wins, total number of wins, rival wins, recruiting, final conference ranking and even recruit visits. Coordinators, however, are focused entirely on their half of the game. Their goals will largely focus upon their on-the-field achievements, such as sacks, interceptions, passing touchdowns, etc. They will also focus upon total number of wins. Keeping these goals in mind as you are playing will, in turn, affect your play style.

For example, if you’ve failed a few goals already and you’re on the hot seat, plus you have a goal to reach 1000 yards in a single season, you may change the way you play knowing that you must pass this goal in order to help keep your job. In this scenario, the coach goals add a significant amount of pressure to the game.

Coach Prestige rating impacts several areas of the game including Recruiting, Player Progression, and the quality of the teams that could potentially be interested during the Carousel Stage. You will also notice that during a recruiting phone call a Coach’s Prestige rating is dynamic. Given all the areas it may impact, including potential job offers during the Carousel, Coach Prestige becomes a vitally important rating. Completing goals within a contract is just one way to improve Coach Prestige.

Another method to influence Coach Prestige during the season is by either beating a higher ranked team to gain a small bonus, or alternatively, losing a game to a lower ranked team, which will slightly decrease your Coach Prestige.

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/vignette/NCAABlogImages/Carousel5-24-2011/carousel4.jpg

At any point during the regular season, the Coach Central hub is available to view more information about your Coach’s progress on his goals, edit your Coach Philosophy, or to track the progress of other coaches around the NCAA.

During the regular season, the Contract Feedback screen will display direct feedback from the Athletic Director on the latest events impacting your goals. It will also display updated Job Security percentage and Passing, Failing and In Progress goals. Also, any weekly penalty or bonus for beating a better team, or losing to a worse team will be displayed here.

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/vignette/NCAABlogImages/Carousel5-24-2011/carousel5.jpg

The Job Security screen will display the current Head Coach and Coordinators for every school, along with the number of years remaining in the contract and their current rating. In an Online Dynasty, you will be able to see how the other human-controlled teams are faring in the Dynasty. From here, you can start to track how you think the Carousel may play out during the off-season. If your dream job is to be the Head Coach of Michigan, this is where you can track how hot the seat is getting in Ann Arbor.

The Coach Philosophy screen is where you can edit all of the Sim information for your Coach. This is particularly useful if you plan on simming ahead a few seasons since these settings have a significant impact upon simulations. Finally, in Coach Info you will be able to create new additional User Coaches or edit any existing coach, including physical appearance and both offensive and defensive styles.

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/vignette/NCAABlogImages/Carousel5-24-2011/carousel6.jpg

Recruiting has also seen some changes due to the addition of coaches. While any of the coach positions can recruit, only the Head Coach will have recruiting-related goals in their contracts. Coordinators can handle the recruiting as well, but they will not be held accountable to do so via contracts.

As the Head Coach, the impact you have on your team’s recruiting is evident through the dynamic Coach Loyalty and Coach Prestige ratings. Now, Coach Loyalty will be impacted by how long a Coach is at a particular school, if they have met their goals and if they have signed any contract extensions. During a phone call with a recruit, you can now expect to see the Coach’s ratings dynamically update, potentially helping (or hindering) your weekly phone calls.

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/vignette/NCAABlogImages/Carousel5-24-2011/carousel7.jpg

The Coach Carousel screen is the first option available in the off-season portion of Online Dynasty. The Carousel will display any job openings that may occur as a result of a contract expiring, coaches being fired, leaving for a better job offer or even retiring. In an Online Dynasty, the carousel will jump from one player offer to the next player’s offer. If there is any one member that is slowing the Carousel down, the commissioner can always step in and advance the Carousel.

Several characteristics are taken into consideration when a School offers a new job or even an extension to a coach, including their Prestige, Playbook Style, and Alma Mater. As you advance through the Carousel, schools will evaluate their current coaches, determine if it is necessary to take any action on their contract, and consider other coaches that may be considering job offers.

Schools will only offer a Coordinator contract to a coach that has experience on that side of the ball. For example, if Tulsa is looking for an Offensive Coordinator, they will not consider Defensive Coordinators. However, schools may also decide to promote a current Coordinator to a Head Coach. Should the unthinkable happen, and a Head Coach is fired, their expertise in a particular side of the field will be considered when they are offered a Coordinator position.

Occasionally, coaches will accept a job offer even if they are mid-contract if it’s a better job, or if it’s their Alma Mater. This will cause unexpected jobs to be added to the Carousel, which can mix up subsequent coach maneuvers. Essentially, even just one coach’s decision has ramifications across the NCAA. The domino effect from one six star school changing its coach can potentially have ramifications all the way down to offensive coordinators of a one star school.

For example, let’s say it’s year 10 of a Dynasty and Michigan hires South Carolina’s Head Coach because he’s an alumus. South Carolina then hires USC’s Offensive Coordinator because of his offensive style. USC then hires San Diego State’s Head Coach to be their Offensive Coordinator, because of his coach prestige. San Diego State then promotes their Defensive Coordinator to Head Coach because he’s also an alumnus, and so on.

After the Carousel has been completed, advancing to the next week will expose the Carousel summary, which will provide a detailed overview of changes that occurred during the Carousel.

That wraps up this blog for Coach Carousel, be sure to check back this week for more NCAA Football 12 information.

souljahbill
05-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Who is playing as Southern Miss and I wonder who they hired. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gschwendt
05-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Who is playing as Southern Miss and I wonder who they hired. :D
That doesn't mean that anyone was controlling them, rather they were the job that was filled just prior to the Arizona State job came open.

Jcoop9
05-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Good to see that Coaching prestige and loyalty affects recruiting and its dynamic week to week.

:))

CLW
05-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Good stuff! This feature just changed my entire 12 plans for my offline dynasty reporting. I am now going to do a Coaching Career starting as a coordinator instead of just starting as HC at a lesser program.

Pig Bomb
05-24-2011, 01:21 PM
I like that a school considers your "playbook style" when hiring...those of us that are targeting a certain job may have to take that into consideration...what if "College A" doesn't want to hire an option based coach and that is what I run?? hmmmmm good stuff EA! Me likey!

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Good stuff! This feature just changed my entire 12 plans for my offline dynasty reporting. I am now going to do a Coaching Career starting as a coordinator instead of just starting as HC at a lesser program.

You can also set guidelines for yourself in regards to moving up and accepting jobs too :up:

Deuce
05-24-2011, 01:26 PM
As a HC you can still edit your OC and DC, correct? And can they be hired by another school?

souljahbill
05-24-2011, 01:34 PM
As a HC you can still edit your OC and DC, correct? And can they be hired by another school?

Once you're an HC, you have no coordinators.

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 01:34 PM

What do you mean by edit your OC and DC?

Deuce
05-24-2011, 01:36 PM
What do you mean by edit your OC and DC?

Appearance and name.

Deuce
05-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Once you're an HC, you have no coordinators.

This may be true...I don't know. But it doesn't make sense that every other school would have them except the one you are coaching.

Aren't all coaches editable? HC, oc, and dc?

souljahbill
05-24-2011, 01:38 PM
This may be true...I don't know. But it doesn't make sense that every other school would have them except the one you are coaching.

Because you're the one calling all the plays.

Pig Bomb
05-24-2011, 01:40 PM
it's my understanding that you have coordinators but they really do anything for you once you are a head coach

Deuce
05-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Because you're the one calling all the plays.

So if you take over Alabama as HC the coordinators disappear? I'm sorry...something just isnt clicking.

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Appearance and name.

All coaches are tied into the roster file for editing.

Deuce
05-24-2011, 01:43 PM
it's my understanding that you have coordinators but they really do anything for you once you are a head coach

Yes...this is what I think. Just wondering if they can be hired by another school.

Deuce
05-24-2011, 01:47 PM
All coaches are tied into the roster file for editing.

That's what I thought...this is why I'm confused when I hear that you won't have coordinators as a HC. Maybe we're saying the same thing in different ways??

CLW
05-24-2011, 01:47 PM
You can also set guidelines for yourself in regards to moving up and accepting jobs too :up:

Yeah I'll probably look around and see what others do as far as what "rules" they will have about job changes. Can you comment about how "easy" it is to move up the ranks?

Say I am OC at a 1 star school and my team puts up a ton of points/yards are BCS schools going to start offering me OC jobs right after the 1st year or will I have to prove myself for a few years before getting those kind of offers?

My only real "concern" about this new format for a dynasty is that it will be too easy to become HC at the 6 star schools and that most of us will have those opportunities within 2-4 seasons.

souljahbill
05-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Ok, let's settle this one in the easiest way possible,

CD guys, if you are a head coach, do you have coordinators? Yes or no?

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 01:52 PM
That's what I thought...this is why I'm confused when I hear that you won't have coordinators as a HC. Maybe we're saying the same thing in different ways??

Coordinators for in-game purposes only have the purpose of defaulting to their playbook, unless you're setting a different playbook as your default....other than that it is just a position you can obtain in the realm of carousel.

souljahbill
05-24-2011, 02:04 PM
My only real "concern" about this new format for a dynasty is that it will be too easy to become HC at the 6 star schools and that most of us will have those opportunities within 2-4 seasons.
Urban Meyer went from Bowling Green to Florida in 4 years so it's not entirely impossible if you're the hottest thing on the block.

Also, like I've said to someone else, even if every 6* school offers you the HC job after 1 mediocre season at New Mexico St., that doesn't mean you HAVE to take a new job. If you want to be an OC/DC for 3 or 4 years before making a move, you're well within your right to do that. Les Miles was offered the Michigan job but he was happy where he was at LSU. If you're happy where you are, don't move.

WolverineJay
05-24-2011, 02:05 PM
I like that the coach prestige rating is Dynamic now just wonder how quickly we can raise it during the season with a good size win streak with a low prestige school. However, recruits in 11' really didn't care too much about that pitch i wonder if that changed this year.

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Yeah I'll probably look around and see what others do as far as what "rules" they will have about job changes. Can you comment about how "easy" it is to move up the ranks?

Say I am OC at a 1 star school and my team puts up a ton of points/yards are BCS schools going to start offering me OC jobs right after the 1st year or will I have to prove myself for a few years before getting those kind of offers?

In a sim, where I started off as the Oklahoma DC; which was the 2nd best defense in the nation, it still took me six season to get to Nebraska.

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 02:16 PM
One more thing that is also a huge factor for negative, and not so much on the positive side is your conference position. If you don't finish up to expectations, it could get you fired; which will be very interesting for OD's that have coaches in the same division/conference.

CLW
05-24-2011, 02:20 PM
In a sim, where I started off as the Oklahoma DC; which was the 2nd best defense in the nation, it still took me six season to get to Nebraska.

Cool.

Toughest starting job?

OC at :Buffalo: / :Memphis: / :Akron: / :New_Mexico_State: / :New_Mexico:

DC at :New_Mexico: / :East_Carolina: / :Eastern_Michigan: / :Memphis: / :UNLV:

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Cool.

Toughest starting job?

I've seen EMU, Memphis, and NMS get zero or one win, and throw in better CPU defense....I'd say New Mexico State OC (unless you're doing coach mode)...that still might be the toughest.

CLW
05-24-2011, 02:27 PM
I've seen EMU, Memphis, and NMS get zero or one win, and throw in better CPU defense....I'd say New Mexico State OC (unless you're doing coach mode)...that still might be the toughest.

The debate I am having in my head is which is tougher OC or DC. Normally, it wouldn't really even be debateable with NCAA being so heavily in favor of the offense but depending on how improved the zone defenses are it might actually be easier now to be a DC over an OC at a bad program.

CLW
05-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Urban Meyer went from Bowling Green to Florida in 4 years so it's not entirely impossible if you're the hottest thing on the block.

Also, like I've said to someone else, even if every 6* school offers you the HC job after 1 mediocre season at New Mexico St., that doesn't mean you HAVE to take a new job. If you want to be an OC/DC for 3 or 4 years before making a move, you're well within your right to do that. Les Miles was offered the Michigan job but he was happy where he was at LSU. If you're happy where you are, don't move.

4 years as a HC. He spent 13 years prior to that as an assistant coach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Meyer#cite_ref-4

I agree with you that once you are a HC your career can really sky rocket in a hurry. However, IMHO it should be VERY hard to get an HC job IF you start out as a lowly regarded OC/DC.

Ideally, I would eventually like to see this turn into you having to start out as a position coach where you can ONLY control one player on the field. I.e. receivers coach could only choose one of the receivers on the field to user control before becoming a coordinator to becoming a HC.

jbmorden19
05-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Interesting thought - in an Online Dynasty, could you and a friend be the OC and DC for the same team?

souljahbill
05-24-2011, 03:44 PM
4 years as a HC. He spent 13 years prior to that as an assistant coach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Meyer#cite_ref-4

I agree with you that once you are a HC your career can really sky rocket in a hurry. However, IMHO it should be VERY hard to get an HC job IF you start out as a lowly regarded OC/DC.

Ideally, I would eventually like to see this turn into you having to start out as a position coach where you can ONLY control one player on the field. I.e. receivers coach could only choose one of the receivers on the field to user control before becoming a coordinator to becoming a HC.

Yeah, I checked that page before using him as an example. There aren't any position coaches in the game so I figured that was negligible info. All I was looking for was how fast did he go from no name coach to the new hotness.

souljahbill
05-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Interesting thought - in an Online Dynasty, could you and a friend be the OC and DC for the same team?

No

Pig Bomb
05-24-2011, 03:55 PM

that would be freaking sweet! WISHLIST ITEM

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 03:57 PM

I'd laugh if this was in an OD an one sabotages the other :D

illwill10
05-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Cool.

Toughest starting job?

Funny, I planned on starting out at Memphis as a OC.

PeteyKirch
05-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Memphis with 1 or 0 wins? And they want to buy their way into the Big East? HAHAHA

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Memphis with 1 or 0 wins? And they want to buy their way into the Big East? HAHAHA

Not when we have control of it ;)

cdj
05-24-2011, 04:41 PM

You can edit coaches in the Dynasty (Edit Coach Info tab) and PB is right - once you are the head coach, the mode is designed for you to be the reason you succeed or fail.

I played out an entire season as the Akron OC and ended up with 76% Job Security and offers to be OC at Arizona and Baylor. I failed some goals along the way and that would probably only increase with higher goals at bigger programs.

The tough part is designing a mode like this where casual players (who only play a few seasons of Dynasty) can get a head coach job while also making it realistic in nature so you can't go from (created coach) Akron OC to Ohio State HC in one season, for example.

Though, "hardcore" players like us are going to set difficulty level and sliders for a more realistic and challenging experience, which should slow our movement up the rank. We may have to establish some house rules on moving up the ranks, but I think the experience can be customized enough to make it as challenging as users want.

PeteyKirch
05-24-2011, 07:57 PM
http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/vignette/NCAABlogImages/Carousel5-24-2011/carousel5.jpg

Anyone else shocked to see that Chris Petersen only has 53% job security at Boise? I figured that man would have a lifetime pass from Boise and they would do anything to keep him.

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 08:01 PM
They're not based on real coaches ;)

PeteyKirch
05-24-2011, 08:03 PM

But yet he is rated at an A+?

CLW
05-24-2011, 08:04 PM
You can edit coaches in the Dynasty (Edit Coach Info tab) and PB is right - once you are the head coach, the mode is designed for you to be the reason you succeed or fail.

I played out an entire season as the Akron OC and ended up with 76% Job Security and offers to be OC at Arizona and Baylor. I failed some goals along the way and that would probably only increase with higher goals at bigger programs.

The tough part is designing a mode like this where casual players (who only play a few seasons of Dynasty) can get a head coach job while also making it realistic in nature so you can't go from (created coach) Akron OC to Ohio State HC in one season, for example.

Though, "hardcore" players like us are going to set difficulty level and sliders for a more realistic and challenging experience, which should slow our movement up the rank. We may have to establish some house rules on moving up the ranks, but I think the experience can be customized enough to make it as challenging as users want.

Yeah perhaps a "slider" that could adjust the goal difficulty (i.e. more punishment for missing a goal(s) less credit for making goal(s) and/or just harder goal(s) to meet) would help. I'm sure people will come up with all kinds of interesting rules/guidelines that are easy to follow and make for a better/more realistic coaching career.

Be careful. Next think you know you will be a defendant and/or a witness being deposed in a lawsuit b/c of some Coach's "likeness" was used w/o their permission. :nod:

jaymo76
05-24-2011, 08:21 PM
So if I start as the OC at Syracus with my custom playbook and I put down that my alma mater is Syracus, there is a good chance that one day I will be offered the head coaching gig at Syracuse right??? Second, on average, how long do you act as a coordinator before you start to entertain head coach jobs???

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Yeah perhaps a "slider" that could adjust the goal difficulty (i.e. more punishment for missing a goal(s) less credit for making goal(s) and/or just harder goal(s) to meet) would help. I'm sure people will come up with all kinds of interesting rules/guidelines that are easy to follow and make for a better/more realistic coaching career.

Be careful. Next think you know you will be a defendant and/or a witness being deposed in a lawsuit b/c of some Coach's "likeness" was used w/o their permission. :nod:

Uh oh...the resident lawyer caught me.

In regards to Boise....they have "been there" but never gotten over that hump, so maybe a little drop in the job security to fire the coach up? He may have had goals of going to the BCS title game because so many starters came back...and they didn't get there.

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 08:26 PM
So if I start as the OC at Syracus with my custom playbook and I put down that my alma mater is Syracus, there is a good chance that one day I will be offered the head coaching gig at Syracuse right??? Second, on average, how long do you act as a coordinator before you start to entertain head coach jobs???

It's possible. I have seen quite a few instances in my many many sims where they have promoted from within.

It depends on where you're coordinator at and how you do. It's possible to get a head coach job at a small school after year one of a good performance.

Pig Bomb
05-24-2011, 08:27 PM

i think it's really up to you and how you want to play it... i'm sure if you do well right out of the gate you'll get offers from minor schools... it's up to you to take it or leave it....plan your own path ...that's half the fun

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 08:28 PM
i think it's really up to you and how you want to play it... i'm sure if you do well right out of the gate you'll get offers from minor schools... it's up to you to take it or leave it....plan your own path ...that's half the fun

Yep, you can set yourself up rules like a) you have to honor your contract b) you can't move from a small time OC/DC to HC until you're a OC/DC of a BCS school, etc.

jaymo76
05-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Another Q popped into my head. Let's say you arte offensive coordinator. As you are watching the game (defense) are you able to 1. challenge a play and 2. call a timeout and 3. swelect play style (conservative, aggressive, etc). I suspect you can't but just curious...

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Another Q popped into my head. Let's say you arte offensive coordinator. As you are watching the game (defense) are you able to 1. challenge a play and 2. call a timeout and 3. swelect play style (conservative, aggressive, etc). I suspect you can't but just curious...

None of the above as you're watching a super sim, I believe.

The only way you can do 1 or 2 is possibly if you're watching the play go instead of super sim, but I never tried doing that.

jaymo76
05-25-2011, 12:28 AM
People.... "LIKE" the video clip of facebook and once 643,000ish is hit, we will get part two of the video!!!

SmoothPancakes
05-25-2011, 02:45 AM
Yep, you can set yourself up rules like a) you have to honor your contract b) you can't move from a small time OC/DC to HC until you're a OC/DC of a BCS school, etc.

Yep, I'm already in the process of setting up rules for myself. So far, my first draft of coaching rules consist of:

May only be OC/DC for first 5-6 years of dynasty.
May only move on to higher rated OC/DC jobs after end of first contract.
May only make jump to Head Coach if going to a mid-major school.
May only make jump to Head Coach of major school after 5 years HC experience at mid-major.
Must honor contract years in full, except:
..... May leave via escape clause if offered a coaching contract from Navy (alma mater)

morsdraconis
05-25-2011, 04:20 AM
Yep, I'm already in the process of setting up rules for myself. So far, my first draft of coaching rules consist of:

Those are some excellent rules. I plan on doing one similar (more of an outline than just rules):

Starting as an OC - must complete first contract (most likely 2 years)
Must spend no less than 3 seasons as OC of first school (most likely a :1star: program)
Next stop as OC can't be higher prestige than prestige of previous school (most likely no higher than a :3star: program) but can't be in a power conference.
Must spend at least 3 more seasons as OC at next stop and finish first contract offered from school.
At this point, can accept HC job at :1star: or :2star: schools only but have access to :3star: and :4star: power conference teams as OC.
If HC at lower school, must stay there until brought up to :4star: status before moving on - If OC with power conference team, must stay at least 3 seasons and/or finish out first contract.
At this point, all :3star: and :4star: HC jobs are open game outside of power conferences.
After 5 seasons there (finishing at least first contract with new team), all schools available.
Only exception, is if, after first HC gig, offer for OC or HC for alma mater (WVU) becomes available can opt out of current contract to go home.

SmoothPancakes
05-25-2011, 05:13 AM
Yeah, I'm going to work on it some and flesh it out more between now and release day. Those I just basically came up with in a matter of minutes of thought. I definitely like your set up how you have things currently. I might have to borrow some of those ideas and incorporate them into my rules/outline.

griffin2608
05-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I'm going to work on it some and flesh it out more between now and release day. Those I just basically came up with in a matter of minutes of thought. I definitely like your set up how you have things currently. I might have to borrow some of those ideas and incorporate them into my rules/outline.

That is what's great about the feature it has to be designed for any one to use, but you can set up your own set of rules. If you get offers from teams that you dont think you should or wouldn't receive irl you can decline it. Once you do this the CPU will fill its position then a smaller program will have a open spot that you may be interested in. The cool thing is we have more options and I cool with that.

morsdraconis
05-25-2011, 11:16 AM

Yeah, I was just thinking of a way to really make it last and I think being the OC/DC for a few years will really help progress the dynasty much quicker. Saying I get the requests that I think I will at the time that I have planned above, I'm looking at least 6 completed seasons deep into the dynasty before I even have a chance to taste a HC job and at least 9 seasons deep before I have a chance of going to my alma mater. Should definitely help make the dynasty more interesting as I could take the long route (OC power conference school before getting the HC/OC gig at WVU) and it would probably be 12+ seasons before I get a job at WVU.

Before starting any of my dynasties, I plan to just sim through a good 15 seasons of one to see what happens. Hopefully we don't have progression issues like last year at first. Really ruined any chances of going deep into a dynasty early.

cdj
05-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Don't forget to check out two Quick Clips from EA Sports showcasing Coach Contracts and the Coaching Carousel (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?2243-NCAA-Football-12-Quick-Clip-Coaching-Carousel-Part-1-amp-2).

jaymo76
05-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Oops... one other coordinator Q... who controls special teams???

gschwendt
05-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Oops... one other coordinator Q... who controls special teams???Not positive but I think whomever's it falls under (ie OC controls FGs/Punts, DC controls FG Block/Punt Returns).

illwill10
06-24-2011, 11:53 AM
What is the youngest age you can start as a OC/Coach?

cdj
06-24-2011, 12:38 PM
What is the youngest age you can start as a OC/Coach?

22-68 is the age range for coaches. They will start to retire at 65, unless user-controlled.

IIRC, when you create a coach you do not edit Age. You can edit Age when editing coaches from Edit Coach menu either on the front end or within Dynasty (if you can edit at all during Dynasty, you may not be able to).

illwill10
06-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the answer.
For a second I thought that was 27-68. 22 seems way too young.
I might start out as a 28-30 year old coach. I dont want to be 30 when I get my Dream job