PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Conference Musical Chairs

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JeffHCross
06-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Per JB's suggestion.

The latest, listing multiple of the 'latest' rumors.

Pac-10
""There is an enormous amount of speculation about conference expansion right now and I think with the Pac-10 that anything is possible, all the way from remaining with the status quo, where we are today, to a full merger with the Big 12 and anything in between,'' Washington athletic director Scott Woodward told the Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskyfootballblog/2012026345_woodward_talks_about_expansion.html) on Thursday. "All possibilities are viable and open for discussion.'' " -- http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/13098/full-pac-10big-12-merger-in-play

Rivals.com: Pac-10 set to invite six from Big 12 (http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1090747)

Big Ten
Big Ten expansion: E-mails hint eyes are upon Texas; OSU's Gee says UT president 'would welcome a call' (http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/06/04/e-mails-hint-eyes-are-upon-texas.html?sid=101)

"It appears that the Big Ten has been heavily discussing the following five schools: Texas, Texas A&M, Maryland, Virginia and Vanderbilt. I’m not saying that these are the only five schools being discussed, none of the “usual suspects” such as Nebraska and Rutgers will end up being included, or the Big Ten has forgotten about Notre Dame, but these are apparently all targets that the conference is focusing on." -- http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/dirty-south-for-the-big-ten/

Mountain West
Boise State could become newest member of Mountain West (http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_15207026). Could come as early as Monday.

[T]he MWC could try to pick up the four teams in the Big 12 that could be left hanging without a conference home -- Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor. None of those schools fits the traditional Mountain West "footprint," but could conceivably help establish an eastern division of a 14-team league. -- http://www.sltrib.com/collegesports/ci_15230177

SEC
REPORT: SEC ALREADY EYEING SIX TEAMS FOR POSSIBLE EXPANSION (http://www.mrsec.com/2010/05/report-sec-already-eyeing-six-teams-for-possible-expansion/)

JeffHCross
06-05-2010, 12:01 AM
http://www.newsok.com/is-nebraska-on-the-clock/article/3466077

DeLoss Dodds stood in a Kansas City hotel hallway this week and told the truth about conference realignment as only a straight-talking Texan can tell it.

"We didn't start this," said the Texas athletic director. "But if we need to finish it, we'll finish it."

I think Texas is ready to finish it, and here's how.

Nebraska has a deadline.

When Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe emerged from a presidents meeting Friday and talked about a "process" by which the league will decide how to sort the dalliances of some schools with the Big Ten, what he meant was, Nebraska has been called out.

I don't know for sure. I wasn't in the room. But I've talked to people who know what they're talking about. And this is about Nebraska.

Flav
06-06-2010, 09:43 AM
"Nebraska has until 5 p.m. on Friday to tell us what they're going to do," one school official said, according to the The American-Statesman. "The same deal for Missouri. They have to tell us they're not going to the Big Ten."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5257088

JBHuskers
06-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Gotta love the ultimatum. Ummmm if we don't tell by Friday, you'll do what?

Flav
06-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Gotta love the ultimatum. Ummmm if we don't tell by Friday, you'll do what?

kick you out of the Big12 :p

Rudy
06-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Exactly. Nebraska is desired by conferences. If the Big 12 kicks them out then someone will gladly take them.

gschwendt
06-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Exactly. Nebraska is desired by conferences. If the Big 12 kicks them out then someone will gladly take them.
Last year was their try out for the Sun Belt Conference... they passed so we'd certainly let them in if they would like.

Jayrah
06-06-2010, 08:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5257774

The Pac 10 Commissioner has all authority to make the expansion happen now. And there is an end of the year deadline. But it could be announced as early as July 27. So it's happening quick.

I was a bit skeptical about the whole thing, but I'm actually getting kind of excited to hear what's gonna happen now.

JeffHCross
06-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Not exactly. He has authority to "explore" expansion possibilities. My understanding is that the vote will still need to occur and unanimity for all prospective members would still be a necessary requirement.

Jayrah
06-07-2010, 02:12 AM
Not exactly. He has authority to "explore" expansion possibilities. My understanding is that the vote will still need to occur and unanimity for all prospective members would still be a necessary requirement.

??? Sounds to me that he is the voice for the conference at this point. I think the vote you mentioned has been taken.

Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott emerged from the final day of conference meetings Sunday and announced that university presidents and chancellors have given him all the authority he needs to expand the Pac-10."What direction that process takes still could go in different directions, everything from remaining as we are as a Pac-10 that's got some very bright days ahead of it to a bigger conference footprint," Scott said. "I have the authority to take it in different directions, depending on various scenarios and discussions we're going to have."
In addition to giving Scott the power to negotiate expansion, the conference also has made him the only voice on the matter.

JeffHCross
06-07-2010, 02:39 AM
The vote I'm referring to would be this one:

By Pac-10 by-laws, expansion of the league is permitted only after a unanimous vote of the presidents and chancellors. Scott would not say whether a vote was held this weekend.

It would make sense to me that such a vote could only occur after the schools are determined.

The Pac-10 concluded its meetings Sunday by giving commissioner Larry Scott the authority to pursue any possible expansion, while not committing the conference to adding any more schools.

Scott addressed the chancellors and presidents on the final day of the weekend meeting about possible expansion scenarios and was given permission to move ahead with the process without having to go back to the board for approval.

Rudy
06-07-2010, 05:27 AM
What suddenly made the PAC 10 so great compared to the Big 12? They don't have a TV network. Best case scenario for me? Notre Dame agrees to join the Big 10 and the Big 10 only expands to 12 teams. The PAC 10 and Big 12 stay the same but create a TV network together. I just don't want to see football conferences bigger than 12 teams. The schedule just becomes stupid.

UGA14
06-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Yeah I'm not sure how 16 team superconferences improve the game. I like my SEC the way it is, not with 5,000 teams. I think it waters down the league.

gschwendt
06-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Personally what I think would be best for the game would be all 9 team conferences. That way you play every team in your conference every year and still have 4 non conference games. The conference champion is determined during the season and then that feeds into DA DA DA DUH... a playoff.

JBHuskers
06-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Personally what I think would be best for the game would be all 9 team conferences. That way you play every team in your conference every year and still have 4 non conference games. The conference champion is determined during the season and then that feeds into DA DA DA DUH... a playoff.

Yeah good luck getting the conference to give up their conference championship game cash cow. I like it, unfortunately that thought will never cross the minds of anyone with power in the NCAA.

JBHuskers
06-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Yeah I'm not sure how 16 team superconferences improve the game. I like my SEC the way it is, not with 5,000 teams. I think it waters down the league.

Yeah it's not to improve the game, it's to improve the wallets of the Pac 10 and Big 10 who don't get that extra conf championship cash.

cdj
06-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Yeah it's not to improve the game, it's to improve the wallets of the Pac 10 and Big 10 who don't get that extra conf championship cash.

Actually, they are doing this more to create their own TV network. Everyone wants The Eyes of Texas - the millions of them - which will allow for a bigger and sweeter TV deal. If they just wanted a CCG, they'd add BYU & Colorado and call it good. TV deals bring in way more than a CCG - but expansion will allow them to do both.

JBHuskers
06-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Everything is bigger in Texas, including a conference implosion :D

Jayrah
06-07-2010, 01:23 PM
The vote I'm referring to would be this one:

It would make sense to me that such a vote could only occur after the schools are determined.

Oh I see what you mean. Regardless though, they will vote it in. We should know by the end of the week if the Big 12 is staying together, with Missouri and Nebraska having to make their decision. And they are "very interested and leaning towards the Big 10", according to multiple ESPN reports. I'd say it's almost a done deal in some capacity.

16 team conference would mean 8 teams in 2 divisions. So it would accomplish exactly what a 9 team conference would. You'd play all teams in division, get a division champ, and then there is still a championship with division winners. This setup actually would probably be the first step in a playoff, as now round 1 would be the 'championship games'. Then instead of like 20 conference champions you would have 8 or so. That makes a playoff really simple. 3 games to decide a winner.

Personally, I hate the playoff idea. I don't necessarily always like the BCS setup, but I like the bowl system. But it seems like we are headed that way at some point

morsdraconis
06-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh I see what you mean. Regardless though, they will vote it in. We should know by the end of the week if the Big 12 is staying together, with Missouri and Nebraska having to make their decision. And they are "very interested and leaning towards the Big 10", according to multiple ESPN reports. I'd say it's almost a done deal in some capacity.

16 team conference would mean 8 teams in 2 divisions. So it would accomplish exactly what a 9 team conference would. You'd play all teams in division, get a division champ, and then there is still a championship with division winners. This setup actually would probably be the first step in a playoff, as now round 1 would be the 'championship games'. Then instead of like 20 conference champions you would have 8 or so. That makes a playoff really simple. 3 games to decide a winner.

Personally, I hate the playoff idea. I don't necessarily always like the BCS setup, but I like the bowl system. But it seems like we are headed that way at some point

Most likely, with a 16 team conference, you're going to have a team playing all the other teams in their division and then 1 or 2 in the other division with a round robin type setup for determining who plays who each season in the other division.

I agree that conference championships should decide who plays in a 8 team playoff system, but then you have the issue of seeding (since the 8 conferences would be SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10, Big East, and either MAC, MWC, WAC, or CUSA and I assume that the MWC and WAC would be deemed most worthy of being in the 8 team playoff though with Boise going to the MWC, that makes the WAC pretty much useless now). Should probably go by regular season record with tiebreakers being left to conference record and then OOC strength of schedule (to get pussy teams like Florida to travel outside of Florida for a freakin' change).

UGA14
06-07-2010, 03:11 PM
That would suck. I don't want to see us play our division only each year. I like playing LSU, Auburn, Alabama, etc. every now and then. We have our rivalries we play every year... Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, Tech, and I want to see those continue, but it seems like some weird things are going to happen.

Honestly, I think one of the conferences you mentioned will go down if it happens with three 16 team super conferences. The ACC will lose teams to the SEC more than likely and get teams from the Big East which will probably ruin the Big East.

morsdraconis
06-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Mountain West opts not to expand (http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-mountainwest-expansion)

No Boise State to MWC now.

JeffHCross
06-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Opts not to expand ... yet.

Boise State was talked about quite a bit, they're just waiting to see what other fallout there is.

Honestly, I don't quite follow the strategy. Get Boise now, then expand with the Big 12 teams that are available in the coming months. Last I checked you could expand more than once ...

JBHuskers
06-08-2010, 12:48 AM
At this point with everything being talked about, I'd like us to just go back to the Big 8 :D At least then we could play Oklahoma every year. I was against going to the Big 10 initially, but now I'm liking it more and more. It's completely turning into a "screw those not in Texas" conference. The idea of replacing Colorado with Iowa the day after Thanksgiving would be cool....still got Mizzou for the built-in rivalry. Oklahoma is never going to be the same rivalry thanks to the Big XII anyways, so why say "what about tradition" when the Big XII completely killed some of the greatest tradition by having Nebraska and Oklahoma play two years on and two years off. So as the days go on, I'm warming up to the idea of being in the Big 10 more now.

Rudy
06-08-2010, 05:31 AM
Here's another question - what is EA's NCAA team going to do about these scenarios next year if new conferences are formed but don't start until 2012? That could be a pain in the ass. Let's hope they let us create our own conferences.

gschwendt
06-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Here's another question - what is EA's NCAA team going to do about these scenarios next year if new conferences are formed but don't start until 2012? That could be a pain in the ass. Let's hope they let us create our own conferences.
If I remember right, when the big shift happened the last time, they programmed it that after the first season, the shift happened correctly. I'm sure it'd be a bitch to program but it could happen.

JBHuskers
06-08-2010, 08:42 AM
It's also possible that when they put custom conferences in last year, they may have started work on a custom number of teams for conferences. If they did, then they would be ready for it, and they would just have to work on the conference logo assets.

Deuce
06-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Good stuff...

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2010/6/4/1500646/the-rumormill-the-big-xii-to-pac#storyjump

Kwizzy
06-08-2010, 03:11 PM
At this point here are my thoughts:

-Ideally, if there was a guarantee that expansion to massive superconferences would NEVER happen, and the landscape of college football would remain largely similar to what it is now: I would hope Nebraska would stay in the Big 12. We are in a prime position under Pelini & with the facilities and recruiting base, to DOMINATE the North Division for years to come. If you can do that, it comes down to one game that you have to beat Texas or OU in most years to get to a BCS and possibly a NC game. That is about the easiest road to return to college football's eliteprograms (win/loss wise) every year. It really doesn't matter that the conference is run by Texas, because all you have to do is beat them on a consistent basis & the money will take care of itself.

-Since there is ABSOLUTLEY NO WAY that conference expansion does not happen within the next 5 years: I think Nebraska should and will go to the Big 10 conference. There aren't any teams available for the Big 12 to add in an expansion scenario that have close to the appeal of the Big 10. Who could they add? TCU? New Mexico (St)? Colorado St? PASS!!! I think Nebraska needs to look ahead to what is only a matter of time, and get the best seat available to them before the music stops. A conference with Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, Iowa, Wisconsin, & possibly Notre Dame sounds like a much better conference to the alternative IMO. Yes it'll be a tougher road to National prominence, but it's the move that has to be made IMO.

Rudy
06-08-2010, 06:49 PM
I wish things stay the same but Nebraska in the Big 10 would be fun.

JBHuskers
06-08-2010, 10:45 PM
I wish things stay the same but Nebraska in the Big 10 would be fun.

Oh yes :)

Sounds like a decision could come by the end of the week. Osborne wants to get it done and decided on ASAP.

Jayrah
06-09-2010, 02:53 AM
I'm thinking Nebraska and Mizzou are gonna hit up that Big 13 deal. I would be shocked if ND makes it 14, but that's what I would like to see happen. If NEB and MIZZ go, welcome to the PAC 16. The PAC 10 has the most to offer, and makes the most sense in the current setup for Texas and it's lump sum demands. I don't see it any other way. If Nebraska and Mizzou stay however, everything could take a big chill pill, and we'd have to wait until the new contracts with tv and blah blah blah are up, which could be many, many years down the road.

JBHuskers
06-09-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm thinking Nebraska and Mizzou are gonna hit up that Big 13 deal. I would be shocked if ND makes it 14, but that's what I would like to see happen. If NEB and MIZZ go, welcome to the PAC 16. The PAC 10 has the most to offer, and makes the most sense in the current setup for Texas and it's lump sum demands. I don't see it any other way. If Nebraska and Mizzou stay however, everything could take a big chill pill, and we'd have to wait until the new contracts with tv and blah blah blah are up, which could be many, many years down the road.

From what I gather, it could be done as early as next year.

iBrandon
06-09-2010, 10:42 AM
I hope somehow, Baylor is included in that Pac 10 deal, but I doubt it happens. I think us Baylor fans will be left out in the cold.

JBHuskers
06-09-2010, 01:24 PM
CDJ just told me that the Big East may come for the Big XII left overs (KU, KSU, ISU). Imagine if KU joins that conference in regards to basketball .... JESUS

UGA14
06-09-2010, 01:58 PM
The Big East-Midwest?

morsdraconis
06-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Wow, I don't know if I like that or not. The Big East is already having trouble with travel costs having to fly all up and down the East Coast. Adding midwest teams to that would make it even more difficult. Would be pretty damn cool for basketball though.

JBHuskers
06-09-2010, 02:18 PM
The Big East-Midwest?

Just like the Pac-Mid 10 :D

Flav
06-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Nebraska might join the Big Ten as early as Friday!

JBHuskers
06-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Nebraska might join the Big Ten as early as Friday!

Sounds like a done deal....just posted on Twitter. I was told Orangebloods.com is pretty reliable.

RT @ChipBrownOB: Orangebloods.com: Nebraska regents have informally agreed to leave for the Big Ten. A formal announcement will come Friday.

JBHuskers
06-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Listening to an interview on local ESPN radio with a dude who is with AOL Fanhouse, he said that the Pac 10 would take Baylor over Colorado right now. Plus there is more of a rumbling that Conference USA would snatch up the four remaining Big XII, which would give them BCS Conference status. Man this is fun to follow.

iBrandon
06-09-2010, 03:37 PM
I sure hope they take Baylor.

JBHuskers
06-09-2010, 04:00 PM
I sure hope they take Baylor.

I think Texas would be forcing the Pac 10's hand in taking Baylor over Colorado.

iBrandon
06-09-2010, 04:06 PM
I think Texas would be forcing the Pac 10's hand in taking Baylor over Colorado.

That's the talk... Does the Pac 10 need Texas more or does Texas need the Pac 10 more. If it's the first one, then Texas can probably force their hand.

JBHuskers
06-09-2010, 05:20 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/TSB/Nebraska_Big10_Bound.gif

Kwizzy
06-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Rivals reporting Nebraska will annouce move to Big 10 Friday & that missouri is being given the cold shoulder by the Big 10 because they have slipped down their priority list. Hilarious! I would die laughing if M I Z Z O U gets left out in the cold!

BlindRedBaron
06-09-2010, 07:22 PM
If Nebraska is leaving, Texas is all but out the door. With a conference that is already so disproportionally strong, Nebraska leaving would be an open invitation for Texas to abandon ship.

The Pac 10 is the most attractive opportunity (because of the package deal potential), but I wouldn't quite count the SEC out yet either. I don't think they'll rollover and let the Pac 10 steal the whole state. I'm sure they'll have something up their sleeve.

THIS will be INTERESTING :)

Rudy
06-09-2010, 09:51 PM
If the Big 10 only invites Nebraska to go to 12 (I'd like to keep it to 12) then there is a chance Texas stays with the Big 12. The Big 12 TV deal sucks in comparison to most conferences now but I thought Texas wanted to start their own TV channel. Texas is football crazy and it would make the richest athletic department in the US even richer. I don't know if the PAC 10 would allow something like that. Losing Nebraska would hurt but I don't see a huge benefit in joining the PAC 10. If Nebraska goes, Oklahoma should be shifted to the North division to balance it out and they should invite a team like TCU to fill the 12th spot.

UGA14
06-09-2010, 10:04 PM
I read that an invite has already been sent to Colorado over Baylor to the Pac-10 and the invites to the other schools are to follow. Should Nebraska go... I don't know. This whole thing is weird.

Jayrah
06-10-2010, 02:18 AM
I read that an invite has already been sent to Colorado over Baylor to the Pac-10 and the invites to the other schools are to follow. Should Nebraska go... I don't know. This whole thing is weird.

Right here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5270048

Iron Dragon
06-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Despite I'm not a huge fan of conference expansion, Nebraska to the Big Twelevten is a good move.

cdj
06-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Sounds like Colorado moving to Pac-10 is a done deal and will be announced later today. Where does this leave Baylor?

Also some talk that A&M and the SEC want each other. Does this break up the Texas brotherhood (UT, A&M, Baylor, Tech)?

It's going to be an interesting 48 hours.

iBrandon
06-10-2010, 11:12 AM
I am just sick, I mean sick. College Football landscape is changing and Baylor is going to be left out of a Super Conference.

Rumors are, Baylor and Tech were invited to the meeting between UT and A&M, but I also saw something saying they were not.

cdj
06-10-2010, 11:20 AM
If/when the Big 12 dies, what conference takes their place (if any) as a guaranteed BCS conference? My guess is the Mountain West. KU, KSU, ISU, Baylor had better get on the phone to the MWC commish pronto if they haven't already. Or they could try the Big East (mentioned for KU as a possibility) or maybe help build up CUSA. Those are the only options IMO.

iBrandon
06-10-2010, 11:28 AM
I agree, that's it. Rumors are, MWC doesn't even want Baylor. They would rather take Kansas, Kansas St and Missouri.

cdj
06-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Really? Wow. Maybe CUSA for Baylor then. I'm surprised they wouldn't want more in-roads to Texas. That seems to be what is driving the A&M/SEC talk.

What gets me is that people have this perception that Baylor is some pathetic DI program. In all reality, they are really good in almost all sports or have had recent success in all sports - except football and since they've struggled there, they get a bad rap.

iBrandon
06-10-2010, 12:14 PM
You are exactly right, Baylor is a good athletic school and all their programs are pretty good, except the big money maker, football. They have some great facilities as well. They recently just got one of the nicer practice facilities for football, which also includes an indoor practice facility. Basketball just got a new practice facility as well. Their athletic program is one of the better ones in the Big 12… but they get their bad rap off of being a horrible football program.

I guess one positive outlook, Baylor will have some of the best facilities of any non-BCS school.

UGA14
06-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Well Colorado is indeed gone to the Pac-10.

coogrfan
06-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Really? Wow. Maybe CUSA for Baylor then. I'm surprised they wouldn't want more in-roads to Texas. That seems to be what is driving the A&M/SEC talk.

What gets me is that people have this perception that Baylor is some pathetic DI program. In all reality, they are really good in almost all sports or have had recent success in all sports - except football and since they've struggled there, they get a bad rap.

Kansas, a school with a bb tradition second to none, is getting kicked to the curb without so much as a second thought.

Nothing matters except football. That's just the way it is.

UGA14
06-10-2010, 12:33 PM
* Nothing matters except money. And the fact is football programs bring in WAY more than any other college sport ever will.

coogrfan
06-10-2010, 12:36 PM
True.

JBHuskers
06-10-2010, 01:14 PM
TMZ reporting that Oklahoma State is the next to jump to the Pac 10. (http://www.newsok.com/tmz-oklahoma-state-to-the-pac-10-a-done-deal/article/3467549?custom_click=pod_headline_osu-sports)

cdj
06-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Local station saying there's some talk that SEC is looking at Texas A&M....and Virginia Tech.

They are saying there's still some very small talk that Texas may still get to the Big 10.

iBrandon
06-10-2010, 02:58 PM
That would be crazy if A&M went to SEC and Texas to Big 10.

cdj
06-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Some KC media outlet reporting Texas & Texas A&M looking at Big 10, Oklahoma looking at SEC. I just can't envision the Southern schools breaking up all that much.

iBrandon
06-10-2010, 03:02 PM
I have no idea how credible this source is but... it just got crazier.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- High level sources in multiple conferences have told KCTV5 that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to move to the Big Ten Conference and have petitioned for membership, while the University of Oklahoma is planning on petitioning the Southeastern Conference to become a member of its conference.

KCTV5's sources said that Texas and Texas A&M do not have to include Texas Tech or Baylor in their plans. Sources told KCTV5 that there have already been discussions about the two schools entering the Big Ten and that the agreement could be made as soon as Thursday.

Oklahoma is currently working on petitioning to enter the SEC, but must find another university to enter the league with them, sources said. TMZ Sports has reported that Oklahoma State is likely to accept a bid to move to the Pac-10. Earlier Thursday, Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10.

KCTV5's sources also said that some Big 12 officials are saying decisions on which deals Big 12 schools take invitations by the end of the day Thursday, although the deals may not be officially announced. Big 12 officials also tell KCTV5's sources that some Big 12 office employees are planning to be without a job within weeks.

Those decisions would leave the University of Kansas, Kansas State University and the University of Missouri with Baylor, Texas Tech and Iowa State in the Big 12. The Missouri Board of Curators met Thursday and planned to meet Friday to discuss the future of Missouri sports.
http://www.kctv5.com/sports/23860558/detail.html

iBrandon
06-10-2010, 04:57 PM
STILLWATER, Okla.—Oklahoma State University president Burns Hargis says the school remains committed to the Big 12 Conference despite Colorado’s decision to leave the league and join the Pac-10.
Hargis says Oklahoma State has invested heavily to be competitive in the Big 12 and he believes that will give the school options if rumors about other teams leaving the league turn out to be true.
The university completed a $286 million overhaul of its football stadium prior to last season, including new weight rooms and luxury suites. Most of the project was funded through about $250 million in donations from billionaire alumnus T. Boone Pickens.
A school spokesman also issued a statement Thursday reiterating that OSU is committed to the Big 12 but would have to evaluate its options if more teams leave

JBHuskers
06-10-2010, 05:15 PM
I have no idea how credible this source is but... it just got crazier.

A writer from Texas was on Unsportsmanlike Conduct on ESPN 1620 in Omaha and discredited that report, says Pac 10 is what's going to happen for Texas.

Flav
06-10-2010, 05:39 PM
If Texas and Texas A&M join the Big Ten that would be stupid. They are so far away from the other schools.

http://frankthetank.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/big-ten-map-expansion-usa.png

So Dumb!

Jayrah
06-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Haha, thinking about it, WSU is planning their stadium expansion to be done by the 2012 season, so this move would be PERFECT from the standpoint of revenue. What timing! Now that Colorado's in, there's no fighting it, let's scoop em PAC.....??

JeffHCross
06-10-2010, 11:25 PM
I agree, that's it. Rumors are, MWC doesn't even want Baylor.Baylor and BYU in the same conference is just mind-blowing from a sociology standpoint.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- High level sources in multiple conferences have told KCTV5 that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to move to the Big Ten Conference and have petitioned for membership, while the University of Oklahoma is planning on petitioning the Southeastern Conference to become a member of its conference. While from a Big Ten fan standpoint that would be awesome, there's no sense in the move. I'd still love it though.

If Texas and Texas A&M join the Big Ten that would be stupid. They are so far away from the other schools.... so? Once you get on a plane, it's essentially all the same. And even if you don't buy that (and I don't, totally), we're beyond the point of geographical sense. Texas & A&M would essentially be able to add the entire state of Texas to Big Ten Network households. Throw in Texas' performance in baseball and men's basketball and you have even more eyes on the Big Ten Network. More eyes would be more money. And even if the Pac 10 adds their own network, it will take a few years for it to reach anything near the penetration of the Big Ten Network. In that timespan, Texas & A&M (or any new addition) could be raking in $22-25 million per year.

Plus, you just have to look at the WAC for an example of how little difference geography makes.

Rudy
06-11-2010, 05:33 AM
Once you get on a plane, it's essentially all the same. And even if you don't buy that (and I don't, totally), we're beyond the point of geographical sense. Texas & A&M would essentially be able to add the entire state of Texas to Big Ten Network households. Throw in Texas' performance in baseball and men's basketball and you have even more eyes on the Big Ten Network. More eyes would be more money. And even if the Pac 10 adds their own network, it will take a few years for it to reach anything near the penetration of the Big Ten Network. In that timespan, Texas & A&M (or any new addition) could be raking in $22-25 million per year.

Plus, you just have to look at the WAC for an example of how little difference geography makes.

I think geography still plays a significant role. It may not matter for football or basketball but it would cost athletic departments a fortune to bus all the secondary sports and women's sports across a country. The funny thing is that college football TV revenue seems to be driving 99% of these expansion talks and people aren't even considering the affects on the rest of the athletic department. Maybe they will just start cutting some of those other programs to save on travel costs.

iBrandon
06-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Newy Scruggs on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas was talking about the remaining 5 Big 12 schools stay put, invite the Mountain West Conference, would bump them up to 14. They still keep their automatic BCS birth, they have a TV contract until 2015 and each school that leaves the Big 12 would have to pay the Big 12 $10 million each.

Sounds like a plan to me.

JBHuskers
06-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Geography isn't as big of a factor now a days. If it means pulling in that much more $, travel expenses going up isn't going to stop them.

Nebraska regents meeting is at 1 central today. Expect something to break shortly after that.

ebin
06-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Newy Scruggs on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas was talking about the remaining 5 Big 12 schools stay put, invite the Mountain West Conference, would bump them up to 14. They still keep their automatic BCS birth, they have a TV contract until 2015 and each school that leaves the Big 12 would have to pay the Big 12 $10 million each.

Sounds like a plan to me.

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it would work. I can't remember where I read it, but I think in order for it to remain the Big 12 (at least in the sense of keeping the auto BCS invite), they have to keep at least 8 of the Big 12 schools together. The remaining five schools and the Mountain West could obviously still merge, but I think they'd have to renegotiate TV and BCS contracts. I could be wrong though.

JBHuskers
06-11-2010, 11:49 AM
From Twitter:

schadjoe Boise State will join Mountain West Conference

JBHuskers
06-11-2010, 01:13 PM
The Nebraska regents just started the meeting at 1, did a role call, asked for public comment. There was no public comment, so they have now gone into a closed session which will take 30-40 mins, followed by an announcement and AD Tom Osborne and chancellor Harvey Pearlman will speak thereafter.

JBHuskers
06-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Harvey Pearlman has just stated that we will begin Big 10 play in 2011. And the Big Ten Network will carry almost all games in all sports. He's also airing out all the dirty laundry calling out Mizzou and Texas in the process.

JBHuskers
06-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Notre Dame cancels their game against Army in Yankee Stadium due to "it not fitting in their schedule" hmmmmm *COUGH* BIG 10 *COUGH*

Flav
06-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Nebraska just joined the Big Ten!

JBHuskers
06-11-2010, 05:49 PM
The Big Ten Network is doing some redecorating...

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/BigTenNetwork.jpg

JBHuskers
06-11-2010, 05:55 PM
The Big Ten unanimously accepted Nebraska's application into the Big Ten, and will officially become a member of the conference July 1, 2011. This season, the Big Ten Network will be airing Nebraska athletics.

Kwizzy
06-11-2010, 05:57 PM
I am SO fricken happy right now! I can't believe it starts in a year though! GO BIG RED!

JBHuskers
06-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will join the Pacific-10 Conference when a formal offer is made, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday.

Texas A&M, the Austin American Statesman reported, is torn between joining the Pac-10 or Southeastern Conference. The Aggies will have a 72-hour timetable to decide whether to accept the Pac-10's offer, the newspaper reported.

lilheavy
06-11-2010, 10:57 PM
If the SEC were to expand to 16 teams, I would love to see A&M, FSU, Miami, VTech. LSU and A&M had a pretty good rivalry going on. UF, FSU, UM have their rivalries of course. And then VTech/Miami and FSU have a connection also. VTech and UT would have some recruiting rivalries going on close to home also. Though I haven't heard a word about FSU or Miami going anywhere near the SEC, it would nice if they would follow VTech if they were to leave.

Kingpin32
06-12-2010, 01:50 AM
Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will join the Pacific-10 Conference when a formal offer is made, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday.

Texas A&M, the Austin American Statesman reported, is torn between joining the Pac-10 or Southeastern Conference. The Aggies will have a 72-hour timetable to decide whether to accept the Pac-10's offer, the newspaper reported.
Maybe now with the more money they should make from TV revenue in the Pac-10, TTU can stop raising our tuition every damn semester.

Rudy
06-12-2010, 06:51 AM
I think the SEC should be pretty careful with who they invite. They already have two superpowers in Florida and Bama. Considering LSU has won two titles and a few other teams have the capability to win it all if you add teams like FSU, UM, VT, A & M, it will become virtually impossible to go undefeated in that conference. Heck a 1 loss season would be astonishing. It could hurt the conference's national championship hopes.

The PAC 10 was different. It was viewed as a down conference or a Plus 1 conference. The Big 10 has been that way the last few years with OSU. Those conferences adding legitimate teams in Texas, OU and Nebraska gives them more credibility and a greater chance to get to the title game. A one loss team from the PAC 16, Big 10+2 and SEC will be given preference to an undefeated Big East team and probably an undefeated ACC team as well. This could make things messier unless you end up with four super conferences which vote for a 4 team playoff between them and shut all the small schools out. It could also go the other way as the PAC 10 and Big 10 could just go back to having the Rose Bowl.

JBHuskers
06-12-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm curious as to why TCU would block Baylor from going to the Mountain West.

JeffHCross
06-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Getting spurned in favor of Baylor for the Big 12, since it was politics that caused that, is probably part of it.

Maybe now with the more money they should make from TV revenue in the Pac-10, TTU can stop raising our tuition every damn semester.Not a chance.

JBHuskers
06-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Getting spurned in favor of Baylor for the Big 12, since it was politics that caused that, is probably part of it.
Not a chance.

Ah guess I didn't know it was between TCU and Baylor back then.

JeffHCross
06-12-2010, 05:07 PM
I don't know if it was specifically between Baylor and TCU, but I'm sure TCU felt like they were the better program.

Can't help but think that Houston, Rice and SMU might also be bitter from 15 years ago. And also can't help but think that TCU's Christian affiliation versus Baylor's Baptist origins could be playing a part, albeit not significantly.

iBrandon
06-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Back then Baylor was better than TCU, SMU, Houston and Rice. Some say politics got Baylor in the Big 12 though.

JeffHCross
06-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Have to retract my statement, because you're right. Looked back at the 1995 Season Preview I have, and Baylor was thought to be nearly on par with the Top 2 in the SWC (Texas & A&M), at least that year. That's a hell of a compliment. TCU was down at like #5. I knew Baylor was better than SMU, Houston and Rice, but wasn't sure about TCU.

But it was certainly politics that got them into the Big 12, from every indication I've ever read. Whether or not it was deserved appears to be a secondary consideration.

iBrandon
06-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Very true, Jeff.

Look back on other years and Baylor was better than TCU as well.

Doesn't look like politics will save Baylor this time.

I'm hoping MWC or Big East. Big East keeps them in great basketball conference and a better
chance to compete in football.

JBHuskers
06-13-2010, 03:06 AM
WOW .... good insight guys, I wasn't so heavily following college sports in my HS days when this all happened, so I was pretty oblivious to it. Just kinda went about my business accepting what was in front of me on the TV.

Rudy
06-13-2010, 05:46 AM
Here's a classic Big 10 highlight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiLbCCD267U

I'm definitely putting Nebraska in the Big 10 for NCAA 11. I may even use them if I put recruiting on AA or Heisman. I used Illinois here because I was thinking they would be a fun challenge in the Big 10 without Indiana (drop them for Nebraska).

JeffHCross
06-13-2010, 03:39 PM
WOW .... good insight guys, I wasn't so heavily following college sports in my HS days when this all happened, so I was pretty oblivious to it. Just kinda went about my business accepting what was in front of me on the TV.The 1995 season was really the first season I followed closely (which is why I love my '95 Buckeyes). Then when I got into HS and started playing football I got even more obsessed. It's only grown from there.

Rudy
06-13-2010, 05:12 PM
The Big 12 is making one big push to keep the league together with 10 teams. I really hope it happens.

ebin
06-13-2010, 05:55 PM
The Big 12 is making one big push to keep the league together with 10 teams. I really hope it happens.

I can definitely see the advantages of keeping the Big 12 intact for schools like Kansas and Missouri, but at this point, I'd rather see an expanded Pac-10. If it happens, I think it will change how we think about conferences. In some ways, it'll be almost more like two 8 team conferences with regular, well-defined cross-scheduling. Plus, as a fan of the Pac-10, I'd be disappointed if we gave up our round-robin schedules in both football and basketball just to share revenue with Colorado...

Also, I posed this JBHuskers' Conference Realignment thread, but I think it makes sense here as well.

Anybody else seen this? It's an interesting way to contextualize many of the factors affecting expansion. Shows just how much Oklahoma and Texas would be bringing to the PAC-16.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/424731/pac16infobig_large.png

Larger version (http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/477212/pac16infobig.png)

Rudy
06-13-2010, 06:28 PM
The Big 12 is trying to convince Texas and Oklahoma that the revenue would only drop 8 to 10% with the loss of Colorado and Nebraska which wouldn't affect the team's revenues since they would have two less teams to share it with. That's why the Big 12 probably wouldn't invite TCU (no extra TV viewers) or someone else. Plus Texas could still create their own TV network which wouldn't be allowed in the PAC 16. The Big 12 could drop to 10 and then take a little time to decide if they want to expand. One problem with that is I think the NCAA mandates that you can't have a conference championship game unless you have 12 members.

Honestly I don't see the big lure of the PAC 10. I think the move of those teams over there is more due to fear of the Big 12 failing than anything else. They would bring a bigger TV deal but have to share so much of that with everyone. I don't see what the rush is to join the PAC 10 either. Colorado joined, big deal. The Big 12 teams could easily wait another year before deciding. What's the PAC 10 going to do? Invite 5 other scrubs and dilute the money pool? No way. The PAC 10 would wait on the Big 12 South. They shouldn't rush into something they might regret.

JeffHCross
06-13-2010, 07:25 PM
The lure for Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Okie State is that the Pac-10 is expected to created their own TV network. For Texas, honestly, I don't see the point.

iBrandon
06-14-2010, 09:40 AM
According to Chip Brown - Texas staying put in the Big 12

JBHuskers
06-14-2010, 09:54 AM

But Joe Schad is reporting the opposite. Chip Brown changes his story every two seconds.

AustinWolv
06-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Can you see the recruiting pools that could be in the works?

The Pac10 getting access/exposure to TX recruits? The same in the other direction for the Big12 schools to CA kids?
It just deepens the pool and gives a better in-road to that pool for these schools.

ebin
06-14-2010, 11:23 AM

I've heard Brown's source is actually Texas AD DeLoss Dodds, and that the Texas is staying put story is Dodds covering his ass with the Texas State Legislature.

Can you see the recruiting pools that could be in the works?

The Pac10 getting access/exposure to TX recruits? The same in the other direction for the Big12 schools to CA kids?
It just deepens the pool and gives a better in-road to that pool for these schools.

Oregon and Oregon State have had pretty good success recruiting Texas the last couple years (LaMichael James, the Rodgers brothers), but you're right, this can only help those efforts.

AustinWolv
06-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Another thing with all the rumored moves, in regards to conference strength:
The SEC could get DEEPER if Miami and FSU were poached over. TXA&M would be a solid get, but not a powerhouse addition. It would help TXA&M more than the SEC, I think, although the SEC would gain the academic reputation of A&M which it needs....that would also create some recruiting roads to TX for the SEC and into FL for A&M.

The Pac10 could get significantly stronger.

The B10.....not so much if no further changes occurred or only some teams like ND or some of the Big East or ACC teams joined up. Don't get me wrong, Nebraska is a strong addition, but one team addition versus the multiple strong teams that the other power confs are eyeballing is not on the same level.

Just sayin' that 10 years down the road will be interesting to see what teams stay strong and what confs benefit from that.....

HWill
06-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Via Chip Brown's Twitter: Texas A&M turned down invite to join Pac-10 in mtg today with Larry Scott in College Station, a Big 12 AD confirms.

JBHuskers
06-14-2010, 02:20 PM
I think I heard an SEC rep is in College Station this week.

CLW
06-14-2010, 02:54 PM
This stuff has more twists and turns than The Young and the Restless. Get your popcorn ready.

Kingpin32
06-14-2010, 02:55 PM
ESPN is saying that Texas is gonna stay in the 10 team Big 12.

JBHuskers
06-14-2010, 03:04 PM
This stuff has more twists and turns than The Young and the Restless. Get your popcorn ready.

:popcorn:

AustinWolv
06-14-2010, 04:00 PM
FWIW, the B10 commish said that moves aren't limited to just the short-term as there is expectation that this realignment stuff could likely project out another 12-18 months.

cdj
06-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Texas staying in Big 12, rumor has conference adding BYU & Air Force and getting a huge TV deal. The rich get richer in the Big 12 and overall level of conference drops. A win-win for Texas.

iBrandon
06-14-2010, 07:09 PM
I don't think there is much to the BYU and Air Force rumor.

I'm glad Big 12 is staying put. UT, OU and Oklahoma St all on board. I haven't heard about A&M.

cdj
06-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Some ESPN reporter is saying A&M is staying put. It sounds like AF/BYU may have been just rumors or open speculation.

A Lincoln sportswriter had this to say:
- ssipplesports: Let me get this straight, Texas gets more TV money, easier schedule, no Big 12 title game. What a country. Well played, Hookems.

It's good for schools like Baylor, ISU, KU, KSU, Mizzou, but the rich get richer under the rumored/proposed TV deal that Beebe supposedly wrestled together. I just have the feeling the Big 12 will hit this same point again down the line.

JeffHCross
06-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Reports have been saying that Beebe is asking for 10 year commitments as part of the new TV contract deal. I cannot see the Big 12 lasting 10 years under a deal that allows Texas to make the most money in the conference and start their own network.

JBHuskers
06-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Reports have been saying that Beebe is asking for 10 year commitments as part of the new TV contract deal. I cannot see the Big 12 lasting 10 years under a deal that allows Texas to make the most money in the conference and start their own network.

Just like CDJ said to me eariler, we're going to go through this same situation again a few years down the road. But it sounds like schools like OU, Tech, and A&M want to be TX's bitch, and the other schools have no choice because they're going to go to a lesser conference otherwise.

cdj
06-14-2010, 11:33 PM
A&M was tempted this time, but they, OU and UT make out like bandits under this deal. Possibly up to $20M for each. That's enough to get them back in line.

Supposedly, at the last minute Texas told the Pac-10 they wanted a sweeter deal including their own TV network. It also sounds like in this Big 12 'reunion tour,' UT gets to establish their own network and keep all of the profits. If true, the conference is back on shaky ground, but who will leave? OU pledged allegiance to Texas, and Baylor, ISU, KU, KSU have no where to go. Mizzou likely holds out for the Big 10 and maybe A&M maintains that SEC torch. The rest aren't going anywhere.

From the Denver Post:
A source close to the Pac-10's expansion negotiations told The Denver Post that Texas insisted on better revenue sharing and its own network, which essentially killed the deal.

"In the 11th hour, after months of telling us they understand the TV rights, they're trying to pull a fast one on the verge of sealing the deal in the regents meeting," the source said. "They want a better revenue sharing deal and their own network. Those were points of principle. (The Pac-10) wants to treat everyone fairly. It's been that way for months of discussions."

AustinWolv
06-15-2010, 12:10 AM
And in the meantime, they made the conference even weaker as a result, so who exactly is the genius on the TV side that is going to pay them more for a lesser product????

JBHuskers
06-15-2010, 01:28 AM
And in the meantime, they made the conference even weaker as a result, so who exactly is the genius on the TV side that is going to pay them more for a lesser product????

Ders a lot o' money down der in Texas.

Kwizzy
06-15-2010, 07:31 AM
5 will get you 10 it's FOX... I would expect to hear something announced soon.

CLW
06-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Texas was in a win-win situation.

Like it or not Texas was/is the crown jewell in all of this conference expansion talk. Some people claim Notre Dame is but I just have my doubts. With the current population trends Texas' fanbase/potential revenue is only going to continue to grow.

Texas knew this and used it to their full advantage. They clearly didn't like the current financial situation they had with the Big XII so they held the Big XII and the PAC 10 hostage and used them against each other. In the end they took the better financial deal and will rinse and repeat as necessary every time this stuff comes up every few years.

However, im my mind Nebraska is also a BIG winner. They get out of a conference which Texas clearly dominates and into a conference that is going to generate more revenue for the University with the Big 10 Network.

BIG LOSER Pac 10. They get the Denver market and no big name team(s) to replace the now on probation USC.

cdj
06-15-2010, 11:30 AM
- Beebe is confirming that MU, KU, KSU, BU and ISU all gave in and will give the buyout fee monies to UT, OU and A&M.

Buyout fee money referring to what Nebraska and Colorado must pay in 'fines' for leaving early. Amazing.

AustinWolv
06-15-2010, 11:40 AM
The rich get richer.

iBrandon
06-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Texas was making the most money in the conference before, so what's the difference now?

Every team can have a TV network if they wont.. of course Texas is the only school where a TV network would work. Texas brings in the most revenue, it's been that way. With the new setup schools are going to get more money. I know Baylor is going to double their revenue from a little over 7 million to 14-17 million a year. If there was no Texas do they think they would get that money?

Other than losing Nebraska, this conference isn't that worse off.

I just heard Texas Tech has yet to sign off on this, but I'm sure they will.

SmoothPancakes
06-15-2010, 01:32 PM
- Beebe is confirming that MU, KU, KSU, BU and ISU all gave in and will give the buyout fee monies to UT, OU and A&M.

Buyout fee money referring to what Nebraska and Colorado must pay in 'fines' for leaving early. Amazing.

Ok, that's just stupid and absolutely spineless. Even though they can't have the Longhorns Network in the Pac-10, the Big XII (specifically the North) needs Texas a whole heck of a lot more than Texas needs the Big XII. Which means Texas essentially has the entire conference by the balls. They want to make a change no one else likes, threaten the teams with "thinking about leaving for the Pac-10 or elsewhere" and said vote suddenly gets passed.

And maybe I'm over-analyzing the situation, but I can't help but think and wonder what might happen to recruiting for the schools not named Texas, A&M or Oklahoma. What recruiting pull do the likes of Kansas, Missouri, and Iowa State have anymore? It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that the conference champions will basically come down to only Oklahoma and Texas every year (with A&M making a push now and then), so there goes your ability to recruit effectively in terms of winning conference championships.

With the team going to 10 teams, so long Big XII championship game, so so long using that game as a recruiting tool. Unless they have some ungodly season like Kansas did a few years back, so long any chance at a BCS bowl and using visits to BCS bowls as a recruiting tool. "Your family could watch you play throughout the year on the Big XII network." "My family could watch my play every game throughout the year on the Longhorn Network." "We play Texas and Oklahoma every single year." "You get bitchslapped by Texas and Oklahoma every single year."

Maybe I am over-thinking and over-analyzing everything, but I can't help but think the way things are playing out, they are going to drastically affect recruiting for everyone but the Top 2/3, resulting in the talent and performance gap between the Top 2/3 and the rest of the league growing exponentially bigger.

AustinWolv
06-15-2010, 01:54 PM
That is exactly it, since CU and Nebraska would beat the Longhorns now and then. It is an even easier path for them now to BCS games, along with OU.

SmoothPancakes
06-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Which is exactly why I think the Big XII needs to just die. It was a fun conference to watch, but it's become nothing but a shell and a sham in this day and age. I have never been a supporter of the 16 team mega-conferences, but choosing between 16 team mega-conferences, and the "new" Big XII conference, I'd prefer the mega-conferences.

As well, everyone can convince themselves that the Big XII is now a fully stable conference again, but I honestly think, if 12 months down the road, as the Big Ten continues exploring further expansion opportunities, they send an invite to Missouri, Missouri will jump at that invite and bail, no matter how high Texas may try to set the exit fees. Either way, regardless of if Missouri eventually gets invited to the Big Ten or something else happens, I have no doubt that 4, 5 years down the road, we'll be going through this all over again in the Big XII.

ebin
06-15-2010, 05:01 PM

Wow, that is amazing. It was nice to see the Pac-10 aiming high for once, but as a fan, I can't get too excited about adding Colorado and Utah, especially since it means the loss of the true round-robin in football.

Kingpin32
06-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Texas was making the most money in the conference before, so what's the difference now?

Every team can have a TV network if they wont.. of course Texas is the only school where a TV network would work. Texas brings in the most revenue, it's been that way. With the new setup schools are going to get more money. I know Baylor is going to double their revenue from a little over 7 million to 14-17 million a year. If there was no Texas do they think they would get that money?

Other than losing Nebraska, this conference isn't that worse off.

I just heard Texas Tech has yet to sign off on this, but I'm sure they will.

Tech is a pretty stingy school when it comes to money, maybe they won't sign off on giving UT our money from the penalties.

iBrandon
06-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Texas and OU were making more money than the other schools anyway. At least with this, the other schools are going to bring in more money yearly as well.

JeffHCross
06-15-2010, 11:21 PM

Buyout fee money referring to what Nebraska and Colorado must pay in 'fines' for leaving early. Amazing.I was sure this was a joke. It's a joke, right? Please tell me it's a joke.

Just looked it up. It wasn't a joke. Oh my fuck, Texas Ten conference it is.

JBHuskers
06-15-2010, 11:47 PM
I was sure this was a joke. It's a joke, right? Please tell me it's a joke.

Just looked it up. It wasn't a joke. Oh my fuck, Texas Ten conference it is.

Texas Ten is about the best name for the conference.

ebin
06-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Texas Ten is about the best name for the conference.

QFT (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2012126405_withers16.html)

Rudy
06-16-2010, 05:26 AM
The Big 12 can still be a good conference at 10. Texas and OU are powerhouses which automatically gives it credibility. I think Texas A & M is on the way back up to being a really good team and with all the money Pickens poors into OSU I think they could end up being a good program. A few too many crappy teams but it's still better than the Big East.

ebin
06-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Orangebloods.com (who broke the initial Texas to the Pac-10 story published an interesting article on the timeline of events (http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094753) from the last couple weeks. Sure sounds like we were thisclose to a significantly reconfigured colloege football landscape.

JBHuskers
06-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Rumor has it that the Big XII is going to ask for $15M for Nebraska leaving.

HWill
06-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Rumor has it that the Big XII is going to ask for $15M for Nebraska leaving.

Yep, Nebraska and Colorado have to pay a penalty for leaving the conference.

Also, Looks like Utah may become the 12th member of the PAC-10.

Edit: Penalty rule doesn't exist: http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/nebraska-colorado-big-12-exit-fees-dont-exist-28545

AustinWolv
06-16-2010, 03:17 PM
The Big 12 can still be a good conference at 10. Texas and OU are powerhouses which automatically gives it credibility. I think Texas A & M is on the way back up to being a really good team and with all the money Pickens poors into OSU I think they could end up being a good program. A few too many crappy teams but it's still better than the Big East.
The thing is that they are arguably more top-heavy than the B10 was, which is what a lot of people across the nation were saying was the B10's weakness previously.

cdj
06-16-2010, 09:40 PM
The thing is that they are arguably more top-heavy than the B10 was, which is what a lot of people across the nation were saying was the B10's weakness previously.

And their other weakness (season ending 'early,' no CCG) is also gone now - and depending on schedule, the Big 12 may have that issue as well.

HWill
06-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Now there's a new rumor out of WMKG TV in Orlando:

Next expansion targets are Memphis and UCF to the Big East. (http://www.clickorlando.com/knights/23927913/detail.html)

When is all this going to end? I can't keep up.

gschwendt
06-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Now there's a new rumor out of WMKG TV in Orlando:

Next expansion targets are Memphis and UCF to the Big East. (http://www.clickorlando.com/knights/23927913/detail.html)

When is all this going to end? I can't keep up.
FedEx CEO Fred Smith offered $100 Million over 10 years to any BCS conference that would take Memphis
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/12432/could-memphis-buy-its-way-into-the-bcs

JBHuskers
06-17-2010, 09:25 AM
FedEx CEO Fred Smith offered $100 Million over 10 years to any BCS conference that would take Memphis
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/12432/could-memphis-buy-its-way-into-the-bcs

I heard that on the radio last night :D very weird. I've always thought all along Memphis to the Big East would be a great fit, especially for basketball.

AustinWolv
06-17-2010, 10:02 AM
And their other weakness (season ending 'early,' no CCG) is also gone now - and depending on schedule, the Big 12 may have that issue as well.

Bingo. Other than UT and OU, I don't see how the Big12 is better off.

The B10 is for national recognition, but I think Big12 isn't.

JBHuskers
06-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Big XII is going to have the same thing happen that the Big 10 had for years....if they have a national title contender, they're going to sit damn near 60 days before playing their championship or BCS bowl game.

morsdraconis
06-17-2010, 11:21 AM

COME ON DOWN Memphis, YOU'RE IN THE BIG EAST!

JBHuskers
06-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Pretty good post from a Penn Stater about the whole situation:

Thank you for declining any overtures by the BigTen to join its conference. Thank you for deciding that joining the BigTen wasn’t in your best interests. Because it wasn’t until recently that I, a fan of Penn State and the BigTen, only recently realized that your joining probably wasn’t in OUR best interests. You’ve got a great intercollegiate athletics program, that’s for sure. And your academics are certainly on par with the best public colleges in the country. You enjoy a large in-state population and a large and devoted fan base. Many conferences would line up to sign up the Longhorns. The Pac10 did and was willing to also take your unremarkable in-state siblings to secure your allegiance. The BigTen considered a lesser conference schedule for you to facilitate retaining your traditional rivalry games. You certain are the belle of the ball. But as is often the case, the belle of the ball - - the pretty girl who has the world at her feet - - is also a conniving, self-centered, high-maintenance bitch.

These are not the words of a jilted courter of your affections. These are the words of someone who has come to understand the meaning of the word conference. An organization of EQUALS with common interests and whose decisions are guided to benefitting the value of the conference brand over the individual member brand. Conference members work together and share equally that which is produced by the group. To you, a conference is merely a recurring set of athletics opponents that can be exploited to serve your interests over that of the collective group. Your interest in preserving the BigXII was hardly a heroic or magnanimous gesture to save those less prestigious programs that would suddenly find themselves without a home. No, your interests in saving the conference were to leverage your marquee value to grab an even larger slice of the conference revenue pie.

You are King of the BigXII conference and you sit in a higher, padded chair at the head of a long conference table while your subjects sit on foot stools at the far end. The BigTen conference table is a round table, with neither a head nor foot and all chairs are of equal height and comfort. You would have found it uncomfortable at our table even as you elbowed for more space or a better view. And we would have found your company unbearable once we saw past your fair looks. A sincere “thank you” is owed to you and a word of caution is offered. Don’t be surprised if one day, your subjects storm the castle with torches and barbeque spits - - as slaughtered Longhorn would make a fine feast.

AustinWolv
06-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Zing.

JBHuskers
06-17-2010, 02:40 PM
...next on As The World Turns

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/06/17/houston-big12.ap/index.html

Kingpin32
06-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Well now the Utes are the 12th team in the Pac-10.

AustinWolv
06-18-2010, 10:28 AM
I wonder if Boise St is pissed about that.

ebin
06-18-2010, 12:02 PM
I wonder if Boise St is pissed about that.

I can't imagine they're too upset, for two reasons: 1) they had to know Utah to the Pac-10 was Plan B if Texas fell through, and 2) even without Utah, the Mountain West is still a huge upgrade over the WAC.

AustinWolv
06-18-2010, 12:36 PM
2) even without Utah, the Mountain West is still a huge upgrade over the WAC.
Thing being is they needed Utah in the Mountain West to further the case for an automatic BCS bid, which is one reason to bolt from the WAC to the MWC. With Utah in it, the MWC would have had 4 teams that all have had strong, consistent seasons for the past few years. Easier to get that bid with 4 strong teams rather than 3.

ebin
06-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Thing being is they needed Utah in the Mountain West to further the case for an automatic BCS bid, which is one reason to bolt from the WAC to the MWC. With Utah in it, the MWC would have had 4 teams that all have had strong, consistent seasons for the past few years. Easier to get that bid with 4 strong teams rather than 3.

Oh definitely. The chances of the MWC getting an auto BCS bid just went down dramatically. I'm just guessing that Boise State feels like they've upgraded conferences either way.

JeffHCross
06-19-2010, 10:06 PM
I didn't know this, so I must share. Regarding the Big Ten:

The conference’s official name throughout this period remained the Intercollegiate Conference of Faculty Representatives. It did not formally adopt the name Big Ten until 1987, when it was incorporated as a not-for-profit corporation. In 1990, the Big Ten universities voted to expand the conference to 11 teams, and extended an invitation to Penn State, which it accepted. When Penn State joined in 1990, it was decided that the conference would continue to be called the Big Ten, but its logo was modified to reflect the change; the number 11 is disguised in the white areas of the traditionally blue "Big Ten" lettering.We were known by practically everyone as the Big Ten, but not officially called that until 1987. Wow.

Rudy
06-20-2010, 06:24 AM
That is weird. It's going to be hard to hide the number 12 in the conference logo though.

JeffHCross
06-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty much hoping against hope that we change our name this time around. If the Big Ten and Big Twelve keep their names, I may go insane.

Jayrah
06-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Hopefully they don't flip their names either, that will confuse me forever.

JeffHCross
06-20-2010, 02:22 PM
I don't think they will, specifically for that reason. Nobody in the Big XII would want their trademark confused, by anyone, with the Big Ten. And vice versa.

I would expect that you will see both of them change to non-numeric names. With all the uncertainty, it's silly to call yourself the Big Ten or Big Twelve now. SEC, ACC, Big East have it easy comparatively.

Rudy
06-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Some guy was speculating that Arkansas (due to Jerry Jones) will push to join the Big 12 (-2) along with possibly Houston. Many have said that Arkansas wouldn't leave the SEC due to the amount of money it receives ($17 million per year) but they miss not having a rival since their move to the SEC. The same guy then felt WVU would be a perfect replacement for Arkansas.

morsdraconis
06-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Some guy was speculating that Arkansas (due to Jerry Jones) will push to join the Big 12 (-2) along with possibly Houston. Many have said that Arkansas wouldn't leave the SEC due to the amount of money it receives ($17 million per year) but they miss not having a rival since their move to the SEC. The same guy then felt WVU would be a perfect replacement for Arkansas.

I would LOVE for WVU to be a part of the SEC. We'd probably get trounced for a few seasons, but we'd show our worth sooner or later.

JeffHCross
06-20-2010, 08:15 PM
It's a Bleacher Report article (i.e. totally opinion), but here it is: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/408881-arkansas-to-big-12-could-be-great-scenario-for-mountaineers-big-east

ebin
06-20-2010, 11:35 PM
All this conference shuffling makes me wish EA would allow us to make truly custom conferences. How cool would it be to have complete control over the number of teams in a conference (or the NCAA for that matter), division configuration, scheduling, postseason affiliations (playoffs, anyone?)?

Rudy
06-21-2010, 05:30 AM
I think Adam Thompson of EA said they are looking into this for next year. He was estimating it would cost about 800 hours to implement full custom conferences. The nightmarish thing would be the scheduling - especially if you want to preserve rivalry games. For comparison sake I thought they estimated formation subs would cost them about 250-300 hours to put in the game which is why they delayed putting them in the game. I'm still waiting for in game saves and multiple camera angles. :(

AustinWolv
06-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Not with Bill Stew as coach.

ebin
06-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I think Adam Thompson of EA said they are looking into this for next year. He was estimating it would cost about 800 hours to implement full custom conferences. The nightmarish thing would be the scheduling - especially if you want to preserve rivalry games. For comparison sake I thought they estimated formation subs would cost them about 250-300 hours to put in the game which is why they delayed putting them in the game. I'm still waiting for in game saves and multiple camera angles. :(

I guess I won't get my hopes up then. It took what, five years for them to reintroduce formation subs? Does anyone know how big the NCAA dev team is? 800 hours sounds like a lot, but if there were 10 people working on it, that's two weeks. Scheduling would definitely be a challenge, but I can think of a couple ways to handle that. One option would be to have one or more preset scheduling templates for a range of conference sizes. The templates themselves could be modeled after the scheduling logic used by the existing conferences.

morsdraconis
06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Not with Bill Stew as coach.

Why?

AustinWolv
06-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Why?

What I was alluding to was achieving a high level of success in the SEC. I don't think he's a good coach and thus wouldn't elevate WVU to be a contender now or later in the SEC.
To play in the SEC, WVU would need to spend money on a coach and be committed to spending big money on recruiting and program upgrades (facilities, etc.).
http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/07/the_cost_of_sec_recruiting_tam.html

morsdraconis
06-21-2010, 05:20 PM
What I was alluding to was achieving a high level of success in the SEC. I don't think he's a good coach and thus wouldn't elevate WVU to be a contender now or later in the SEC.
To play in the SEC, WVU would need to spend money on a coach and be committed to spending big money on recruiting and program upgrades (facilities, etc.).
http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/07/the_cost_of_sec_recruiting_tam.html

There's no need for upgraded facilities. They are already top 10 or so in facilities after spending more than $85 million over the past 20 years.

While yes, the money spent on recruiting would probably have to increase, we've done a very good job getting the recruits we like in Florida, Virginia, New York and such with the budget we have.

As for coaching, that remains to be seen as well. Trying to convert a team that has been spread/zone blocking for so long into a power running pro style offense takes time.

JBHuskers
06-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Pac-10 Commish was on ESPN Radio today as I was listening on my drive home from work. Couple of interesting things to note.

When he listed the reasons for expansion, he said academics first (cuz it's always about the academics).
Colorado was in the Pac 10's plans regardless of 12 or 16 teams.
Sounds like they are content on staying at 12 and not making the super conference.

Looks like they were going to go 16 if Texas and their sluts came along...but Baylor would have been left out in the cold along with Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State. He said things are going to slow down now, but with the landscape changing, moving to 12 had to be quick.

Rudy
06-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Suprised he didn't say conference championship game and all the money that brings.

JBHuskers
06-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Suprised he didn't say conference championship game and all the money that brings.

Hah yeah, they're still "formalizing a plan" for that.

Jayrah
06-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Conference Championship would be great for the PAC (I think they should just drop the number and call it the PAC). Anyways, at 12 teams, a conference championship is almost a necessity. Just thinking of basketball too, how great a conference tourney has been to the league. A conference title game would be REALLY great for football. Only question? Where would you play it? Would the Rose Bowl add another game? Or would the Coliseum make a better Championship venue? Standford and it's new stadium might be in the running as well. I can't see Berkley, or anything outside of California, based on size and mid location.

JeffHCross
06-21-2010, 08:28 PM
I think the PAC-10 will go to PAC. I'd also expect the Big Ten and Big XII to create names that don't have numbers in them. At least, that's my hope.

JBHuskers
06-21-2010, 08:54 PM
I think the PAC-10 will go to PAC. I'd also expect the Big Ten and Big XII to create names that don't have numbers in them. At least, that's my hope.

CDJ said, the (former) Big XII should just go back to the Southwestern Conference. I kinda figured a fitting name for the (former) Big Ten would be the North Central Conference. You have this name brand recognition with Big Ten, but it just sound sillier the more you expand from ten. The North Twelve, maybe? Who knows LOL.

JBHuskers
06-21-2010, 08:56 PM
CDJ said, the (former) Big XII should just go back to the Southwestern Conference. I kinda figured a fitting name for the (former) Big Ten would be the North Central Conference. You have this name brand recognition with Big Ten, but it just sound sillier the more you expand from ten. The North Twelve, maybe? Who knows LOL.

Hah The North Twelve's initials are TNT :D

Deuce
06-21-2010, 09:00 PM
The Big 12 should just go to the Longhorn Conf.

HuskerBlitz
06-21-2010, 09:04 PM
Pac-10 Commish was on ESPN Radio today as I was listening on my drive home from work. Couple of interesting things to note.

When he listed the reasons for expansion, he said academics first (cuz it's always about the academics).
Colorado was in the Pac 10's plans regardless of 12 or 16 teams.
Sounds like they are content on staying at 12 and not making the super conference.

Looks like they were going to go 16 if Texas and their sluts came along...but Baylor would have been left out in the cold along with Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State. He said things are going to slow down now, but with the landscape changing, moving to 12 had to be quick.

I actually am not surprised at the academic part. Since Nebraska joined the Big 10, I never knew how much money in grants some of these schools got. Dang! :eek:
I'm curious to know how many of the Big 10 teams currently run in the black for their athletic teams?

JeffHCross
06-21-2010, 09:09 PM
From my understanding today, all of them. I was reading an article that stated that because of the income from the Big Ten Network, the entire conference is actually in the black ... at least so far as football. I can't recall for sure if they were in the black for all sports, or just the moneymaker of football.

That, of course, is a reference to the fact that some schools actually lose money on football in the long run.

HuskerBlitz
06-21-2010, 09:10 PM
What article was that? Sounds like an interesting read.

JeffHCross
06-21-2010, 09:31 PM
I totally just realized who I was replying to. Welcome, h_b.

It was Bleacher Report, of course (sigh, I think practically everything I read is from there now), but this actually had a source. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/409003-big-ten-football-is-a-college-players-union-near

Can't find a true source that says the schools are making profit, though this one gives an idea of how much is coming in from BTN: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/illini/story/4E0D7FE430DDC05E86257724000A464E?OpenDocument

JBHuskers
06-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Since the Huskers are going to be on Big Ten Network a good deal (from the sounds of it) this year, I sure as hell hope Time Warner Cable f'n adds them at least in time for football and basketball.

HuskerBlitz
06-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Since the Huskers are going to be on Big Ten Network a good deal (from the sounds of it) this year, I sure as hell hope Time Warner Cable f'n adds them at least in time for football and basketball.Where did you hear that Nebraska was going to be on the BTN this year?

JBHuskers
06-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Where did you hear that Nebraska was going to be on the BTN this year?

It was at the "official press conference" that was held with Pearlman, Osborne, and the Big Ten commish.

HuskerBlitz
06-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Hmmm....I must have missed that when I was watching it. Not sure how that works with the current television contracts.

JBHuskers
06-22-2010, 12:55 AM
Hmmm....I must have missed that when I was watching it. Not sure how that works with the current television contracts.

If I'm wrong there it was said on BTN's Twitter, but I swear it was on that press conference.

SmoothPancakes
06-22-2010, 01:28 PM
If I'm wrong there it was said on BTN's Twitter, but I swear it was on that press conference.

Unless I misheard as well, you're right. Delaney said the Big Ten was going to start broadcasting Nebraska sports this year in advance of their joining next July so that Big Ten fans can see and experience the Nebraska sports teams and what they will bring to the Big Ten before they officially begin conference play.

HuskerBlitz
06-22-2010, 01:55 PM
From doing to searching, it sounds as if only the sports in which the Big 12 doesn't have a television contract for can be shown, ie Olympic sports. So no football or basketball.

JBHuskers
06-22-2010, 02:05 PM
From doing to searching, it sounds as if only the sports in which the Big 12 doesn't have a television contract for can be shown, ie Olympic sports. So no football or basketball.

They may get the replay of the game, but I think FOX or FSN have the rights to the football and basketball live games, if they're not on ABC/ESPN. Some Vs. too for football.

HuskerBlitz
06-22-2010, 02:15 PM
I doubt we see any 2011 NU games on the Big 10 Network, even replays. From what I read from various places it all sounds like just the Olympic sports.

JeffHCross
06-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah, no way you see Nebraska basketball or football on BTN this year. Olympic sports at the best.

AustinWolv
06-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Besides, who really wants to see Nebraska basketball anyway?
:p

JBHuskers
06-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Besides, who really wants to see Nebraska basketball anyway?
:p

It's rough to watch most of the time, but it's the school I graduated from :D I'm no bandwagon Creighton fairweather fan.

Rudy
06-23-2010, 04:47 AM
The Big 10 is a pretty good basketball conference. I would imagine that Nebraska's basketball program will get stronger by switching to the Big 10.

joshuahuskers
06-27-2010, 10:45 PM
The Big Ten plays more to our style for basketball. I still think we'll be bad, but I think we'll compete better in the Big Ten that Big XII

HuskerBlitz
06-27-2010, 11:49 PM
And our baseball team will tank in the Big 10. That's where good baseball goes to die.

JeffHCross
06-27-2010, 11:58 PM
As the southernmost team, I would actually think Nebraska baseball might have a distinct advantage.

HuskerBlitz
06-28-2010, 12:02 AM
That may be true, but when you factor in what it a team needs to make the postseason, the Big 10 blows in RPI-type status. A team basically needs to win the Big 10 tournament in order to get a postseason bid with the lack of RPI to boost it.

JeffHCross
06-28-2010, 12:05 AM
True.

cdj
06-28-2010, 02:26 AM
The Big Ten plays more to our style for basketball. I still think we'll be bad, but I think we'll compete better in the Big Ten that Big XII

The NU-NU ;) (Northwestern) series should be fun: Historically, the two worst power conference basketball programs in the country. :(

I think the Big Ten is more balanced than the Big XII, so I'm not very confident in our ability to move up the ranks. Though, I do agree their style is more similar to ours. We'll either be more competitive or lose some games by barely getting 40 points.

cdj
06-28-2010, 02:29 AM
Also, I've read a few posts on Husker sites of others hearing what JB did, that Nebraska will be on the BTN this year - but no one had any concrete details. The guess seemed to be that they may start pulling and airing some of NUs archived games and footage and perhaps start making their own NU focused shows/documentaries, etc.

I watched part of Michigan's "Hail to the Victors" historical look at the football program the other night. Pretty interesting and well done.

JeffHCross
06-28-2010, 11:27 PM
BTN said officially that Nebraska will be on the network this year. Just no one has said in what capacity. But it was announced, I believe on-air.

joshuahuskers
06-29-2010, 09:41 PM
The NU-NU ;) (Northwestern) series should be fun: Historically, the two worst power conference basketball programs in the country. :(

I think the Big Ten is more balanced than the Big XII, so I'm not very confident in our ability to move up the ranks. Though, I do agree their style is more similar to ours. We'll either be more competitive or lose some games by barely getting 40 points.

In the Big Ten, barely getting to 40 may be enough to be competitive :D

JeffHCross
06-29-2010, 10:56 PM
In the Big Ten, barely getting to 40 may be enough to be competitive :DWe're not slow and plodding in basketball. That's just football ;)

Nebraska's average last year would have put them 8th in the conference.

Jayrah
06-29-2010, 11:55 PM
We're not slow and plodding in basketball. That's just football ;)

They would've averaged another Touchdown in the big 10.

Rudy
06-30-2010, 04:43 AM
Tommy Tuberville made some pretty critical statements of the Big 12 yesterday. He questioned how long the 10 team league can stay together when the money is divided so unevenly. He said as soon as a poor team gets a chance to land in a better conference they will go for it.

JBHuskers
06-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Gotta love LSUFreek

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/70197/offsides_the_future_of_the_big_12

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/TSB/Big_12_Disparity.gif

Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville is concerned about the inequality that exists in the Big 12 (http://www.sportingnews.com/college-football/article/2010-06-30/tommy-tuberville-concerned-about-big-12s-future) and says the league will not last long.

Holc
06-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Eventually, I think that the Big 12 will become a new version of the old SWC. Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, and Iowa State may be happy to just be members of a BCS Conference at this juncture, but are likely investigating any and all options that would afford them an equal piece of some other pie.

joshuahuskers
06-30-2010, 05:52 PM
We're not slow and plodding in basketball. That's just football ;)

Well we were last in the Big 12, so that'd still be improvement :D

JeffHCross
06-30-2010, 06:54 PM
They would've averaged another Touchdown in the big 10.Was talking basketball, not football.

And if you were talking football ... no, I don't think so.

HWill
07-16-2010, 09:53 PM
How conference realignment should have been done:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/100716_college_conference_realignment

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Nebraska fans will probably enjoy this interview between BTN's Dave Revsine and some guy named Tom Osborne.

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/videos/football.asp?autostart=true&bcpid=35031945001&bclid=69534033001&bctid=407526715001

HWill
08-18-2010, 12:12 AM
BYU to go independent in football in 2011 and will join the WAC for all other sports. Press conference on Thursday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5472642

Jayrah
08-18-2010, 03:14 AM
BYU to go independent in football in 2011 and will join the WAC for all other sports. Press conference on Thursday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5472642

What? Why? So they can compete on a national level no doubt. How retarded is that?! Just go WAC all around and be men about it! They couldn't stand that Utah is now BCS eligible and they wouldn't be. That's pretty big for recruiting though, gotta say.

SmoothPancakes
08-18-2010, 03:49 AM
Well, from what I read, it doesn't sound like a done deal yet. It appears the deal would be hinging on whether or not BYU can get guarantees from the BCS of similar requirements that Notre Dame has to have access to the BCS depending on how they do. If BYU gets that guarantee, then it sounds like they would pretty much make the move. If they don't get the guarantee, it sounds like they are going to stay put.

As for the Mountain West, this is horrible if it happens. Just a couple months ago, the Mountain West was seemingly within a couple days of having a chance to pick up some Big 12 rejects, get to 12 teams, get a championship game, and have the potential chance to get an automatic BCS invite. Now, the Mountain West will be potentially left with only TCU as their only big name team, which since 2005, it has been BYU, Utah, and TCU pretty much solely on the top of the conference (with a couple of conference busters here and there), the Mountain West is in danger of slowly becoming irrelevant.

Sure, they still have TCU, but Mountain West would pretty much become a one trick dog conference (with the exception of a couple of conference busters here and there), and if TCU were to ever leave, ha, the Mountain West become about as irrelevant that day as the WAC is now.

Rudy
08-18-2010, 04:54 AM
That sounds stupid for BYU. How does that make them any better for football? They can't get any guarantees like Notre Dame. I feel bad for Boise St.

SmoothPancakes
08-18-2010, 07:20 AM
That sounds stupid for BYU. How does that make them any better for football? They can't get any guarantees like Notre Dame. I feel bad for Boise St.

I just remembered that a little bit ago while in the shower. I completely forgot about Boise St. joining the MWC in the future. So maybe the Mountain West isn't going to be as in danger of being irrelevant so soon now that I remembered Boise St. joining in a couple years. But the Mountain West would still see a large drop off in conference relevancy if BYU does leave. Obviously not as much as with Utah leaving or if TCU were to leave, but BYU has been a dangerous team nationally and has been one of the top 3 teams in the Mountain West since 2005 or so. So it would still be a major blow to the MWC to have BYU leave.

cdj
08-18-2010, 09:47 AM
From Bruce Feldman, ESPN: MWC source sez the folks at CSU football, who "broke" news of BYU announcement, claim their Twitter feed got hacked.

HWill
08-18-2010, 10:35 AM
2007: WAC ‘Strongly Considered’ BYU Without Football

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/2007-wac-strongly-considered-byu-without-fball-28850

HWill
08-18-2010, 04:57 PM
MWC announces its inviting Fresno State and Nevada:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5474774

morsdraconis
08-18-2010, 05:32 PM

Wow. That's insane.

The college landscape in the west is going to be completely different.

SmoothPancakes
08-18-2010, 05:40 PM

Holy crap. Didn't see that coming.

HWill
08-18-2010, 06:10 PM
There's also rumors that Louisiana Tech and UTEP will soon switch conferences. Also, Boise St. is not interested in returning to the WAC.

Update: Fresno and Nevada have accepted MWC invitations (http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/breaking-mountain-west-invites-fresno-st-nevada-28853)

cdj
08-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Fresno State & Nevada to Mountain West - Sounds like they start next season.

HWill
08-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Fresno State & Nevada to Mountain West - Sounds like they start next season.

And Houston could join them. (http://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/21545318418)

JeffHCross
08-18-2010, 11:38 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5474774Holy hell. There goes the neighborhood.

JeffHCross
08-18-2010, 11:51 PM
On the upside, I'm going to love the new MWC. Pretty much all my favorite mid-major programs.

SmoothPancakes
08-19-2010, 08:01 AM
There's also rumors that Louisiana Tech and UTEP will soon switch conferences. Also, Boise St. is not interested in returning to the WAC.

This is one I fully favor and agree with. Having Louisiana Tech in the WAC has never made sense to me in terms of school locations. There's half a country between Louisiana Tech and every team in the WAC, so definitely a smart move by La. Tech. UTEP moving to C-USA, I suppose it could work better for them with some teams, though Marshall is a lot closer to UTEP than Hawaii. Though being on the very edge of western Texas, at least they're closer to the other WAC teams than La. Tech.

SmoothPancakes
08-19-2010, 02:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5477045

And in the latest story on "As the NCAA Turns", according to the WAC commissioner Karl Benson, the remaining WAC schools apparently aren't going to make it easy on the Fresno State and Nevada when they leave. As well, according to Benson, both schools didn't meet a deadline to get out of the league earlier, so they could possibly have to stay until 2012.

Also according to Benson, Fresno State and Nevada have "acted selfishly" when they accepted the invites to the MWC, basically dissolving an agreement the WAC and BYU had regarding all of BYU's sports other than football, though Benson says the WAC door is still open for BYU if the Cougars want to rework the arrangement.

Though it could be interesting if some of the teams (both in Division I-A and I-AA) mentioned by Benson as the WAC being interested in does become true, including the possibilities of Montana, UC-Davis and Cal-Poly.

morsdraconis
08-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Though it could be interesting if some of the teams (both in Division I-A and I-AA) mentioned by Benson as the WAC being interested in does become true, including the possibilities of Montana, UC-Davis and Cal-Poly.

The thing is, NONE of those schools are ANYWHERE CLOSE to being ready to move to Division I football.

The WAC is in trouble. They'll be lucky to still be a conference when this is all said and done.

SmoothPancakes
08-19-2010, 02:33 PM
The thing is, NONE of those schools are ANYWHERE CLOSE to being ready to move to Division I football.

The WAC is in trouble. They'll be lucky to still be a conference when this is all said and done.

Sadly true. If they were ever to make the move to the WAC, it would still be a good ways down the road. Though when that point down the road got here, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Montana especially in DI-A action. They've always been a team I also sort of followed and paid attention to on the side over the years, I'm not even sure why, haha.

And yeah, unless they can get those D I-AA schools to be ready to make the jump within the next 3-4 years (which would be pretty much impossible), unless they raid the Sun Belt or something, they are pretty much screwed. Boise State was by far their best team, with Fresno State and Nevada mixed in there. With those three gone, you're looking at Hawaii and Idaho as pretty much the front runners of the WAC now. Plus with all three leaving, the WAC's down to 6 teams, and there is really no one they can snatch from another conference that is going to replace Boise State, Nevada, or Fresno State on a 1:1 level.

So their best hope would be to bring in D I-AA teams who are FAR from ready from jumping up to D I-A football, or snatch teams from other low-level conferences like the Sun Belt who wouldn't have a hope in hell of replacing everything that Boise State and the rest brought to the conference over the years. None of the MAC teams would ever leave, nor do any of them make any logistical sense at all, none of the C-USA teams would ever leave for the WAC (with the exception of the rumored La. Tech-UTEP switch), no one would sure as hell leave the MWC for the WAC. And even then, about the only team that would even make a tiny bit of sense (though very, very little) from the Sun Belt, would be North Texas.

So yeah, I agree with your assessment. The WAC is screwed and is going to be very lucky to continue existing when the dust settles and everything is said and done over the next couple years.

gschwendt
08-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Louisiana Tech won't make it into CUSA... they don't have the market, the success, the history, nor the attendance (ASU hosting USM drew more than LTU hosting Mississippi State). Loser Tech is going to have to make a hard decision... go independent and likely fade out completely or crawl on their knees to what they refer as "The Belch" (ie Sun Belt). I would love to have them in the Sun Belt purely because they would be a school that right off the bat half of the conference would hate (ULL, ULM, and ASU to start).

ebin
08-20-2010, 11:29 PM
I would love to have them in the Sun Belt purely because they would be a school that right off the bat half of the conference would hate (ULL, ULM, and ASU to start).

If it's any consolation, I put them in the Sun Belt in my offline dynasty! :)

jaymo76
08-21-2010, 01:33 AM

Does a conference have the right to move an FCS team up or does the FBS governing body need to provide permission???

morsdraconis
08-21-2010, 02:25 AM
Does a conference have the right to move an FCS team up or does the FBS governing body need to provide permission???

Pretty sure the NCAA gets a say in some form. Not entirely sure how that works though.

gschwendt
08-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Yeah, the NCAA has to approve them and currently there is a moratorium on teams moving up through August of next year. I believe that means that they cannot begin their phased-in process until after that date. Right now only South Alabama has applied (I think) and they are scheduled to join the Sun Belt in 2013.

SmoothPancakes
08-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Add Hawaii to the rumors on "As the NCAA Turns". With Fresno State and Nevada bailing, there are now rumors that Hawaii is considering potentially going independent in football and possibly joining either the West Coast Conference or the Big West in all other sports. Basically, at this point, you could pull a guess completely out of your ass of what the next thing to happen/team to leave which conference will be, and you'd probably be correct.

HWill
08-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Well, it's official:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5517305&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5517305

steelerfan
08-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah, the NCAA has to approve them and currently there is a moratorium on teams moving up through August of next year. I believe that means that they cannot begin their phased-in process until after that date. Right now only South Alabama has applied (I think) and they are scheduled to join the Sun Belt in 2013.

Isn't this nearly entirely based on attendance? I recall that being the case for Buffalo several years ago.

gschwendt
08-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Isn't this nearly entirely based on attendance? I recall that being the case for Buffalo several years ago.
They tried to do that five years ago or so where schools were required to meet a minimum attendance every other year. That's what ultimately led the Razorbacks to strike a deal with UL Monroe so that every other year ULM would get to count the attendance for a game in Little Rock (essentially the swine thumbing their nose at ASU). In the end though, that stipulation was dropped... I don't believe there is a minimum attendance requirement anymore.

cdj
08-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Here's a great article from the Omaha World-Herald with some great behind the scenes details on how Nebraska moving to the Big Ten came to be: http://www.omaha.com/article/20100830/BIGRED/708309872

SmoothPancakes
09-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Ohio State and Michigan reportedly getting split up in the new Big Ten

The Big Ten will announce its much-anticipated, two six-team divisional setup for the 2011-12 season later Wednesday, with traditional football powers Ohio State and Michigan in opposing divisions and new member Nebraska aligned with the Wolverines.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that the two divisions in the Big Ten will look like:

• Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

• And Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.

The Big Ten issued a press release saying it would announce its divisional alignment at 7 p.m. ET Wednesday. According to sources, the divisions were decided upon Monday.

The rest of the article can be read at: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5519832

HWill
09-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Colorado to join Pac-10 in 2011, not 2012: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5601601

In sort-of-related news, University of Denver is seeking to join the WAC. http://denver.sbnation.com/2010/9/20/1700649/denver-pioneers-wac-conference

There are also rumors that at least eight other schools will make presentations to the WAC (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/20/pair-of-texas-schools-to-state-case-for-wac-membership/).

Let the speculation begin (again)....

Rudy
09-22-2010, 05:26 AM
After Temple beat UConn, I wonder if the Big East will try to add them back.

gschwendt
09-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Please WAC, please take Denver... they are the worst fit team for the Sun Belt and it would balance out our conference schedules.

JeffHCross
09-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Denver in the WAC makes no sense ... at least not for the WAC. Bring a school that has no football and is primarily a hockey power into a football-driven conference with no hockey.

HWill
10-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Pac-12 divisions were announced today during an official news conference:

North Division: Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Washington, Washington State

South Division: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, UCLA, USC, Utah

Title game will be played at home site of team with best overall conference record.

morsdraconis
10-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Wow, that's pretty interesting. Looks like some pretty big rivalries might go unplayed now or spread out quite a bit (Cal vs USC, Stanford vs UCLA, UCLA vs Cal, etc).

HWill
10-21-2010, 04:11 PM
I believe they voted to keep the rivalries: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5711336

Rudy
10-21-2010, 06:38 PM
I like the idea of a home game for the Title game because it means the fans will go crazy. The SEC might have it best since it always has a neutral site that all the fans will travel to but I hate that they play in a dome on fake grass. The ACC has shown how not to do a title game.