PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Mags hitting the shelves!

Geauxlden
05-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Last night I picked up Athlon's Southeastern edition at a grocery store in the greater Houston area.This always helps get me pumped for the release of NCAA Football and begins the countdown, for me, to the real football season.

Tarhead10
05-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Last night I picked up Athlon's Southeastern edition at a grocery store in the greater Houston area.This always helps get me pumped for the release of NCAA Football and begins the countdown, for me, to the real football season.

Yeah im gonna start hitting up the Barnes and Nobles where I usually pick up athlons and phil steele...

JerzeyReign
05-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Phil Steele is all you need. So much information.

Rudy
05-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Phil Steele is all you need. So much information.

So much information about the PREVIOUS year. If you want information about the upcoming season I would suggest people to get The Sporting News instead. I've never been more disappointed with a magazine than I was with Phil Steele. They were still talking about Matt Leinart in the issue and he'd been in the NFL for three years. Steele just recycles last year's commentary and adds about 25% of stuff that is new and calls it a day. Tons of stats and good projections but very little info on the players that will impact the upcoming year. It's more of a Review than Preview mag imo.

jaymo76
05-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Always been a sucker for Lindy's college football annual.

Geauxlden
05-25-2011, 10:06 AM
I've seen the Lindy's Southeastern on the shelves as well. I used to always buy it when I was younger, but lately I pass if Athlon or Sporting News hit the stands around the same time. I've bought Phil Steele's mag for the last few years, but I have to agree with Rudy, there is way too much info about what happened 2 or 3 years ago. Last year I won a Blue Ribbon preview mag in a contest, and it is full of good info, but is probably too expensive for my blood. Also it doesn't have depth charts or pictures which matter to me for roster purposes.

DariusLock
05-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Gonna have to pick one of these up!

Geauxlden
05-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Saw the Athlon National and Sporting News preview at a Houston area Walmart.

Rudy
05-25-2011, 05:40 PM
I don't have a lot of magazine options around me. I just checked the local Chapters store and they didn't have any college magazines yet. But we are slow to get them in Canada as they aren't a priority over here. I might have to hit the mall and a real magazine store.

Rudy
06-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Decided to pass on Sporting News and go with Lindy's today as the local magazine place finally got some more in. I really liked the individual position rankings. Each team only gets one page but I like how they break down offense vs. defense and special teams. It does a nice job.

Took a brief look at Phil Steele's Review just to see if he was still re-using all his old material and it was a quick yes. Flipped open the book and it came to Arkansas. Half of the stuff on the QB section was Ryan Mallett. Why waste so much ink on a Preview if the player will never affect the 2011 season? Flipped another page and came to Georgia. That QB section starts talking about Matt Stafford. I thought this was 2011, not 2008. For anyone looking for a Preview I would avoid the seasons long recap of Phil Steele. Just not enough info about the upcoming season in that mag.

Geauxlden
06-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Well, I've actually ended up buying the Athlon Southeastern and National editions, plus Phil Steele, plus the Sporting News preview. I'm sure that I have some sort of college football addiction, lol, but they all have some aspect that I feel is unique. I love the in-depth info that the regional Athlon gives you about the specific conference you're interested in. I like that the national Athlon and Phil Steele give you depth charts and pictures for each team. If Sporting News did that, plus gave equal info about all of the D1 teams, I may would pass on the national Athlon and Steele. I do like that the Sporting News gives a short narrative breakdown, along with trends, for each conference and gives a mention of the key recruits for the majority of the teams.

ram29jackson
06-10-2011, 01:13 AM
just like when someone will get NCAA 12 before most of us

:mad: I hate all of you...:P

Geauxlden
05-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Bumping this for 2012. Just picked up Lindy's Southeastern edition. Walmart in Atascocita for any of my Houston area folks.

cdj
05-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Bumping this for 2012. Just picked up Lindy's Southeastern edition. Walmart in Atascocita for any of my Houston area folks.

Awesome! I was wondering when the first editions would be out.

Phil Steele will be on newsstands around June 5, but you can order a limited number of signed copies for $39.95 (http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2012/May12/DBMay15.html)

Rudy
05-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Screw Phil Steele. I don't like his review mag. I'll be all over the Sporting News when that comes out.

JeffHCross
05-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Phil Steele will be on newsstands around June 5, but you can order a limited number of signed copies for $39.95 (http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2012/May12/DBMay15.html)Phil said on Sirius XM on Friday that you might see his magazine in some stores as early as this coming Tuesday. He expects that the vast, vast majority of stores will have it by Memorial Day, but June 5 is the official date that they know it will be available nationally.

Geauxlden
05-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Found Phil Steele mags in Walmart today.

razorback44
05-30-2012, 11:07 AM
If not Phil Steele, what magazine do you guys recommend. I prefer one that has depth charts. Any suggestions?

JBHuskers
05-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Phil Steele.

:D

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

razorback44
05-30-2012, 12:10 PM
:D

I know right. I get PS every year but I've been hearing in numerous places that his quality has gone downhill. I'm curious what is out there that is comparable.

Geauxlden
05-30-2012, 12:11 PM
If not Phil Steele, what magazine do you guys recommend. I prefer one that has depth charts. Any suggestions?

I think Steele has the most players listed on the depth chart, but Athlon normally includes a 2 deep for each team.

razorback44
05-30-2012, 02:13 PM
I think Steele has the most players listed on the depth chart, but Athlon normally includes a 2 deep for each team.

Two deep will work. I just like to study up on everyone before the season starts. Thanks for the heads up!

Rudy
05-30-2012, 03:53 PM
I like the Sporting News. My big beef with Phil Steele is that he recycles half the stuff he wrote in last year's magazine in the next year. The majority of the stuff he writes on each team is about players no longer at the school. I want a PREview not a REview.

Geauxlden
05-30-2012, 05:37 PM
I like the Sporting News. My big beef with Phil Steele is that he recycles half the stuff he wrote in last year's magazine in the next year. The majority of the stuff he writes on each team is about players no longer at the school. I want a PREview not a REview.

Every year I say the "review" thing to myself as a reason not to buy, but every year I end up buying. I like to tinker with rosters so I usually get won over by the expanded depth charts, huge amount of stats, and player rankings. That being said I do buy other magazines as well because I do like to read about the current personnel of the teams. I've been buying Sporting News previews since the early 90's (still have one with a Peyton Manning UT cover) but haven't seen any ads or anything for this year's edition.

Rudy
05-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I don't know when the Sporting News comes out. Being in Canada my local bookstore sucks when it comes to getting college football magazines in. It's just not big around here. You are definitely right about all the stats Steele includes. I just wish he wrote more about the upcoming team. I remember being really disappointed the first (and last time) I bought his magazine.

coogrfan
05-31-2012, 12:09 PM
I heard a rumor a couple weeks back that TSN isn't going to be doing CFB preview mags this year, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

cdj
05-31-2012, 12:16 PM
I heard a rumor a couple weeks back that TSN isn't going to be doing CFB preview mags this year, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Doing a quick glance on their site, I think you are right.

They quit making their weekly printed publication and it would appear they have ended the yearbooks as well. :( It's a shame as I enjoyed TSN more than SI and felt their preview mags were among the best on the market.

Rudy
05-31-2012, 01:52 PM
So I guess I'll move on to the Athlon review this year when I can find it.

souljahbill
05-31-2012, 01:58 PM
I just came from Wal-Mart and I saw the Phil Steele mag. To all you guys who like it, you're a better man than I. I don't like having to cipher through the Da Vinci Code to get information. It's all short-hand mumbo jumbo and I can't get down with it.

ram29jackson
05-31-2012, 04:52 PM
for the heck of it, i just bought Phil S again

Tarhead10
05-31-2012, 05:42 PM
So I guess I'll move on to the Athlon review this year when I can find it.

Yeah I always buy Athlon, however Im gonna miss Sporting News.... I always buy about 3 mags every year... I have to have something to tie me over until NCAA football gets released...

razorback44
05-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Yeah I always buy Athlon, however Im gonna miss Sporting News.... I always buy about 3 mags every year... I have to have something to tie me over until NCAA football gets released...

I watch these to pass the time sometimes and check out other teams.

http://youtube.com/user/JoshMTD?client=mv-google

Tarhead10
05-31-2012, 08:04 PM
I watch these to pass the time sometimes and check out other teams.

http://youtube.com/user/JoshMTD?client=mv-google

Sweet man thanks!!! I usually watch old footage of games on youtube all the time.... I like watching old games on TV, but it drives my wife crazy....:nod:

JeffHCross
05-31-2012, 10:04 PM
I just came from Wal-Mart and I saw the Phil Steele mag. To all you guys who like it, you're a better man than I. I don't like having to cipher through the Da Vinci Code to get information. It's all short-hand mumbo jumbo and I can't get down with it.Just as an offer, if you decide to get Phil Steele in the future and you need a code breaker, I know it pretty well now. I used the Phil Steele mags from 1995-1998 to help with my 1995 Buckeyes creation, so I spent a lot of time reading his codes.

souljahbill
06-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Just saw the 2012 Lindy Preview mag in the Houston Airport.

If you read the bottom of the Tulane page, the QB at the high school I'm the athletic trainer at gets a blurb. He was a 4* recruit who chose Tulane over, most notably, Texas A&M.

Geauxlden
06-01-2012, 08:30 AM

If you read the bottom of the Tulane page, the QB at the high school I'm the athletic trainer at gets a blurb. He was a 4* recruit who chose Tulane over, most notably, Texas A&M.

There was a segment of the Aggie fanbase that took that loss pretty hard.

souljahbill
06-01-2012, 09:41 AM
There was a segment of the Aggie fanbase that took that loss pretty hard.

He changed his mind because:

1) He wanted to stay home, especially after

2) they fired Mike Sherman.

Because I'm a Southern Miss man, I'd talk smack everyday about how he'll never beat USM, even betting that I'd get a Green Wave tattoo if he's the reason Tulane ever beats my Golden Eagles. He's a good kid. I hope he does well.

JeffHCross
06-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I hope he does well in every game he's not playing USM.Fixed.

ram29jackson
06-01-2012, 10:56 PM

he cant be that good ? how do you choose Tulane if you can actually play ? its a great academic school..like the ivy league of the south..so why would a jock go there ?

JeffHCross
06-01-2012, 11:27 PM
he cant be that good ? how do you choose Tulane if you can actually play ? its a great academic school..like the ivy league of the south..so why would a jock go there ?Maybe ....

He changed his mind because:

1) He wanted to stay home, especially after

2) they fired Mike Sherman.

Geauxlden
06-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Not saying that Tulane will become the next Boise State by any means, but they were able to sign some decent players in this last class and there seems to be some excitement with the new coaching staff. If they can actually get their new stadium built they could become pretty respectable.

cdj
08-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Just saw this from The Sporting News on Twitter:

Want our NCAA FB/NFL preview mags? For sale in our free app this month: http://bit.ly/SNiPadapp Order hard copy by phone: 800-380-7404

Apparently they are still making their preview mags.

Rudy
08-06-2012, 02:06 PM
If they don't have the magazine on the shelves how do they really expect to sell it? I really liked TSN in the past but there are other mags. I don't want a digital copy.

souljahbill
08-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Not saying that Tulane will become the next Boise State by any means, but they were able to sign some decent players in this last class and there seems to be some excitement with the new coaching staff. If they can actually get their new stadium built they could become pretty respectable.

I was the athletic trainer for 2 of their recruits. Devon Breaux (when I worked at Donaldsonville High) and Darion Monroe (from my current job at East St. John High). I wished them both the best against everyone but Southern Miss. I even have a friendly wager with Deeboe (Monroe) about whether Tulane will ever beat Southern Miss during his tenure.

SCClassof93
08-06-2012, 03:27 PM
I was the athletic trainer for 2 of their recruits. Devon Breaux (when I worked at Donaldsonville High) and Darion Monroe (from my current job at East St. John High). I wished them both the best against everyone but Southern Miss. I even have a friendly wager with Deeboe (Monroe) about whether Tulane will ever beat Southern Miss during his tenure.

I think you will be pleased with your new coach this season :nod:

Geauxlden
05-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Looks like it's that time again. Saw Lindy's Southeastern edition earlier this week, Athlon national edition today as well as Sporting News national preview. Didn't even know Sporting News was producing a magazine again.

ram29jackson
05-28-2013, 05:19 PM

that's what all the new helmets are about. They are trying to decide on what to use next year in the new stadium with new uniforms too