PDA

View Full Version : Past games and Offensive and Defensive Coordinators

psuexv
05-20-2011, 02:07 PM
I made the comment in the Coaching Carousel Thread that in one of the past games, last gen, you could start out as a OC or DC and work your way up to a head coaching job. Basically you still controlled everything in the dynasty you were simply labeled as the coordinator.

Does anyone else remember this? It had to be in the game sometime between '03 and '08 and I'm leaning towards the latter years now that I think about it more.

If anyone has any of these old games and would be willing to fire them up and check it out I would greatly appreciate it.

WolverineJay
05-20-2011, 02:29 PM
EA Sports has never had this feature in either NCAA or Madden(have bought both since the Sega Genesis days), but the Gamebreaker series did. I owned NCAA Gamebreaker 2003 back in the day for the PS2, and it had where you could start off as another coach rather than a head coach.

Here is a review I found of that game:

GameBreaker offers all the typical football-game modes. There's a scrimmage option if you want to jump right into a game, as well as a few season options that allow you to lead your team to one of the bowl games or to a championship tournament. The coaching career option offers an interesting take on the typical franchise or dynasty mode. Instead of simply becoming the head coach of any team, you have to scour the country for open coaching positions, which may range from defensive coordinator at Ohio to special teams coach at Navy. The position you take has an impact on what sort of involvement you'll have in the off-season when it comes to recruiting new players. Of course, in some cases, this somewhat defeats the purpose of a dynasty mode, since it can prevent you from taking full control of your favorite program if the only job it's offering is that of the special teams coach.

Regardless of the position, you'll still have to take your team through an entire college season in an attempt at making it into one of the bowl games. If you don't perform well enough to make a bowl, then you'll receive a really poor-looking replica of an e-mail from a member of the school's administration stating that the program is disappointed with your performance and that the alumni are really pushing for a winning season next year. However, we also saw an instance in which a particular team had a poor season and received a similar letter and then had even worse season the next year but received a letter congratulating the coach on showing that the team has potential.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/playstation-2-games/ncaa-gamebreaker-2003-playstation/4505-9581_7-30983156.html#ixzz1MvF0CWbL

psuexv
05-20-2011, 02:36 PM
I've never owned anything but EA and I know it was in there. I talked to a friend of mine because I remember him taking the OC job at a Mac school and it was Miami of Ohio(not Kent State JHC) and he's only owned EA as well. I found this review from PS2.IGN but it's a little vague, it's for 2004

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/428/428982p2.html

hiring the right coaches and giving them contract extensions before they have the chance to leave, reworking your schedule in order to face as many ranked opponents as possible, and of course, running up the score any chance you get.

WolverineJay
05-20-2011, 02:45 PM
I still have NCAA Football 2004-07 on the PS2 and in fact I played a quick Dynasty on NCAA 2004 a few months ago and it is not in there. In the review they say coaches like it is Madden 2004 which did have an owner mode with assistant coaches but you couldn't be one of them. I am 99.99% sure that this will be the first time we have ever seen the ability to be a coordinator in an EA Sports football game.

If it was in an EA Sports football game then I totally missed that feature and I usually am pretty good at thouroghly playing all aspects of both Dynasty and Franchise mode every year.

souljahbill
05-20-2011, 02:59 PM
They didn't add presentation cutscenes until '05 (Larry Fitzgerald). That was the first time anyone even seen a coach. Before, all you could do was what we do currently. Win games and complete goals and your school gets more star prestige.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psuexv
05-20-2011, 03:04 PM
I still have NCAA Football 2004-07 on the PS2

So what would it take for me to bribe you to fire up 05,06 and 07 and check it out. I've been searching for it all day, it's driving me nuts. I even text a friend to see if he still had his old PS2 and Xbox and contemplating buying the games.

souljahbill
05-20-2011, 03:25 PM
So what would it take for me to bribe you to fire up 05,06 and 07 and check it out. I've been searching for it all day, it's driving me nuts. I even text a friend to see if he still had his old PS2 and Xbox and contemplating buying the games.

I know it's not in '05. That was the last version to appear on the Gamecube so I never played '06 and '07. I don't remember it being on '08 either (I played that on PS2). I don't think CC was in any prior EA NCAA game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solidice
05-20-2011, 03:30 PM

I know '04 and '06 on xbox did not have OC/DC at all(I still own both). I've owned all the EA NCAA games since '98 and don't remember ever seeing them in any of those neither. I don't remember playing the sega NCAA games(NCAA Gamebreaker) and I don't remember OC/DC being in 2k's NCAA 2k3 game either.

DariusLock
05-21-2011, 05:02 PM
It was in NCAA Gamebreaker

Here is the cover art says Head Coach fired, climb the ranks in Coaching Career Mode....and more. (http://www.highrescovers.com/wp-content/uploads/covers/ps2covers/NCAA_Gamebreaker_2003-USA.jpg)