PDA

View Full Version : Report: Sites saying PSN password reset exploited.

DariusLock
05-18-2011, 11:57 AM
More great news... (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1169006p1.html)

:(

CLW
05-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Hackers to Sony - :easy:

:smh: :( :down: :fp: :sick: :mad:

SmoothPancakes
05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
I knew it. Something was going to happen. Not necessarily a new hacking incident taking down PSN, but I knew something to some extent would happen.

CLW
05-18-2011, 12:02 PM
I knew it. Something was going to happen. Not necessarily a new hacking incident taking down PSN, but I knew something to some extent would happen.

Yeah hackers are clearly MILES ahead of Sony's security people. This is going to KILL them in the PR game if more personal info is exposed in < a week after allegedly fixing it.

DariusLock
05-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Apparently you only need two pieces of info to reset it on Sony's site...the account e-mail and the birthdate. All which would have been gathered during the original attack that gathered account info. They need to just shut it down to registering through the PS3 or getting and e-mail sent to your account.

JBHuskers
05-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Yeah fortunately this only affects websites, not online gaming. So it's not the big deal that people (especially 360 fanboys) are making it out to be.

CLW
05-18-2011, 12:07 PM
And PSN is back down:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/playstation-network-sign-in-is-down-again-due-to-new-security-loophole/24844

DariusLock
05-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Yeah, they just need to shutdown the resetting passwords through the website and they will be fine. If this is all the hackers have been able to do since the network has been up then I'm happy. Also whoever keeps hacking Sony is an idiot...let us have our fun! Hack their damn retail site or something if you wanna hack anything lol.

DariusLock
05-18-2011, 12:11 PM
And PSN is back down:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/playstation-network-sign-in-is-down-again-due-to-new-security-loophole/24844

OMG! Good thing I have L.A. Noire and Uncharted 2 to work on!!

UPDATE: Sony also reiterated that only the login site is down and not the entire PSN in a tweet, “Clarification: this maintenance doesn’t affect PSN on consoles, only the website you click through to from the password change email."

That said, “[users] will still be able to sign into PSN via your PlayStation 3 and PSP devices to connect to game services and view Trophy/Friends information,” according to Sony.

gschwendt
05-18-2011, 12:11 PM
PSN is not down. I just checked my own console and I'm still signed in.

As I understand it, they've only disabled the ability to sign into certain PS sites, specifically to be able to reset your password on the web.

CLW
05-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Yeah you guys are right the article is misleading. But further down it notes PS3 still works but everything else is down. Over/Under before it is also down = 48 hours

SmoothPancakes
Yeah fortunately this only affects websites, not online gaming. So it's not the big deal that people (especially 360 fanboys) are making it out to be.

See, that's the thing I'm shaking my head at. All the 360 fanboy idiots who have been laughing at Sony for all of this. I have no idea what Xbox/Microsoft's security is like (being MS, I'd hope it's real damn good), but you never know with hackers. It could be only a matter of time before hackers target the MS/Live and this same thing happens to us 360 users. I wonder if the fanboys will be still laughing then.

morsdraconis
http://techbuddha.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/vader-fail.jpg

souljahbill
05-18-2011, 12:15 PM
If people weren't so "OMG, I need mah PSN rite na!!!!," Sony could have put more time into getting it where it needed to be before putting it back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gschwendt
05-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Yeah you guys are right the article is misleading. But further down it notes PS3 still works but everything else is down. Over/Under before it is also down = 48 hours
I don't think it goes down due to this... I think they just simply add additional steps in resetting your password such as having to verify via email and/or verify more information than just your birthday such as maybe most recent purchase or something like that.

morsdraconis
05-18-2011, 12:17 PM
If people weren't so "OMG, I need mah PSN rite na!!!!," Sony could have put more time into getting it where it needed to be before putting it back up.

3 weeks wasn't enough time? That's just plain incompetence if it isn't. Who do they have working for them? Jesus christ, as big of a company as they are, they should have been on top of this stuff in a week, at the most.

psuexv
05-18-2011, 12:37 PM
3 weeks wasn't enough time? That's just plain incompetence if it isn't. Who do they have working for them? Jesus christ, as big of a company as they are, they should have been on top of this stuff in a week, at the most.

I agree, I wasn't one bitching to get it back up as I wanted it to be secure before it came back up. But they should have been able to secure it in 3 weeks, either that or hire some new people

souljahbill
05-18-2011, 12:40 PM

Apparently, it wasn't. What's the old saying? Anything worth doing is worth doing right? The had to rebuild it from the ground up and I'm sure that takes more then 3 weeks to do. And even though Sony is a mega corporation, it's not like they have millions of programmers working around the clock. I rather it take 3 months and be right then have a rushed product in 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBHuskers
05-18-2011, 12:47 PM
See, that's the thing I'm shaking my head at. All the 360 fanboy idiots who have been laughing at Sony for all of this. I have no idea what Xbox/Microsoft's security is like (being MS, I'd hope it's real damn good), but you never know with hackers. It could be only a matter of time before hackers target the MS/Live and this same thing happens to us 360 users. I wonder if the fanboys will be still laughing then.

What gets me are certain fanboys on Twitter that get sensitive for being called a fanboy and saying they're critical of MS too, but you see on Twitter they're clearly not when EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING wrong with PSN is blown out of proportion with them, and then they RT every negative comment about PSN that is @ replied to these people. I won't name names, but CDJ knows exactly who I'm talking about :D

JBHuskers
05-18-2011, 12:49 PM
This won't have anything to do with PSN IMO. This is an added incidient to the original hack.

SmoothPancakes
05-18-2011, 01:08 PM
What gets me are certain fanboys on Twitter that get sensitive for being called a fanboy and saying they're critical of MS too, but you see on Twitter they're clearly not when EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING wrong with PSN is blown out of proportion with them, and then they RT every negative comment about PSN that is @ replied to these people. I won't name names, but CDJ knows exactly who I'm talking about :D

Yeah, I'll never understand fanboyism. Both systems have their good sides, both systems have their bad sides. Both Sony and MS have their good sides and bad sides. Just pick the console you like the best or works best for you, and go with it. I have a 360 because they have more exclusive titles that I enjoy and like than PS3 (though I would love to give The Show a try as well as Heavy Rain), and because 95% of my friends are on 360, whereas only a couple are on PS3.

But I also have no qualms with Sony. The original Playstation was my first ever console, which eventually turned into getting the PS2. In fact I had both models, originally the big ass PS2, and eventually got the PS2 Slim, which I still fire up to play some PS2 and PS1 games from time to time, before then eventually getting the original Xbox. Even after getting the original Xbox, I still probably bought more games for PS2 than Xbox. I've wanted to get a PS3 for a while now to play some of those PS3 exclusive games, as well as get some gaming in with our extensive PS3 community here, but with it being only a matter of time before the PS4 eventually releases in the next year or two, I'm not sure if it'd be worth it.

So yeah, I'll never understand the fanboys. Both systems have their own positives and negatives.

psuexv
05-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Couldn't agree more Smooth. I had an original Xbox and absolutely loved it. Then Online Dynasty for NCAA game out and everyone that I wanted to play with had a PS3 so made the switch. Even though I prefer the Xbox I don't feel the need to trash either system.... except for the lack of chat functionality on the PS3 :)

JBHuskers
05-18-2011, 01:18 PM
A 360 fanboy might have started the news that Sony was hacked again. But this indicates that there wasn't any kind of hack..... http://tinyurl.com/3v9sffy