PDA

View Full Version : Madden NFL 12: The Basics. (From IGN)

NatureBoy
05-15-2011, 07:35 AM
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/116/1164606/madden-nfl-12-20110427110144452_640w.jpg

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1168424p1.html

Madden NFL 12: The Basics. (From IGN)

Madden NFL 12 is looking to be the most robust offering the series has had this generation. Major improvements to the presentation, Superstar mode, Franchise mode, and online are expected this year. Here's what you need to know about the big changes.

What is Madden NFL 12's Release Date?
Madden NFL 12 arrives in stores later than usual -- August 30. Let's hope it's lead-in to the start of the NFL season.

What's new this year?
There's quite a lot, actually. Five Madden NFL 12 additions you'll notice right off the bat: Authentic presentation (both in pre-game and during the game), the addition of custom playbooks, improvements to Gameflow (AI-controlled play-calling), collision technology for better tackling, and improved defensive AI.

What's the biggest gameplay change?
That's something EA has not revealed yet. We're hoping that's the focus of Madden NFL 12 at E3 2011.

What's new in Superstar mode?
The two biggest changes -- you now earn skill points which you can spend however you like to upgrade your player and practices have actual value in improving your superstar.

What's new in Franchise mode?
A whole lot. No, really -- Tiburon claims 90% of all Madden players try out Franchise mode. The team finally invested some time into greatly improving things. Here's a cheat sheet:
•Dynamic Player Performance: Player ratings fluctuate based on consistency and confidence.

•Player Roles: More than 20 roles (Playoff Performer, Trench Warrior) affect player and team stats throughout the season.

•The Pre-Season Matters: Start with 75-player roster and need to make cuts each week. Playing pre-season games reveals player ratings.

•Scouting Reworked: Tiered scouting system reveals ratings tied to different events (college season, combine, pro day, individual workout).

•Draft Class Improvements: Robust set of draftees built for 30 seasons of franchise. Teams draft based on their real tendencies.

•Free Agent Bidding Wars: eBay style bidding against other GMs creates intense, rapid-fire free agent period that takes only a few minutes to complete.

•Smarter General Managers: Better re-sign and cut logic. GMs make trades and sign free agents who fit their needs, with player roles factored in.

•Coaches Matter: Coaches have small positive and negative impact on how players perform on the field based on their style.

•Edit Any Player: Alter the ratings of any player -- rookie, created player, or established veteran.

•Change Teams: In any offseason, change control of which teams you run in Franchise mode.

•Numerous Tweaks: Many other small tuning and additions are coming, including retirement logic, a more accurate salary system, fixes to the injured reserve system, better simulation stats, and more.

How has Madden online changed?
EA hasn't revealed this yet, but we're told a big addition is in the works.

Is this for real?
The additions listed are for real. What we don't know is how well they'll play. Until we invest 10 hours into Franchise mode, there's no telling if all the new features work well together. But it sounds very, very promising.

Madden has done some good things with gameplay in the past couple of years, but has done a very poor job with adding and improving its features. Looks that that's changing with Madden NFL 12.

CLW
05-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Really its going to come down to Franchise and Online Franchise modes for me. If those modes aren't greatly improved and EXACTLY the same then I'll probably cancel my pre-order.

JeffHCross
05-15-2011, 09:11 AM
I really like the new "The Basics" articles that IGN's been putting out. They're a nice, easy way to catch up on the essential information from games you haven't been obsessively tracking.

JeffHCross
05-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Here's a cheat sheet:
•Dynamic Player Performance: Player ratings fluctuate based on consistency and confidence.
•Player Roles: More than 20 roles (Playoff Performer, Trench Warrior) affect player and team stats throughout the season.
•The Pre-Season Matters: Start with 75-player roster and need to make cuts each week. Playing pre-season games reveals player ratings.
•Scouting Reworked: Tiered scouting system reveals ratings tied to different events (college season, combine, pro day, individual workout).
•Draft Class Improvements: Robust set of draftees built for 30 seasons of franchise. Teams draft based on their real tendencies.
•Free Agent Bidding Wars: eBay style bidding against other GMs creates intense, rapid-fire free agent period that takes only a few minutes to complete.
•Smarter General Managers: Better re-sign and cut logic. GMs make trades and sign free agents who fit their needs, with player roles factored in.
•Coaches Matter: Coaches have small positive and negative impact on how players perform on the field based on their style.
•Edit Any Player: Alter the ratings of any player -- rookie, created player, or established veteran.
•Change Teams: In any offseason, change control of which teams you run in Franchise mode.
•Numerous Tweaks: Many other small tuning and additions are coming, including retirement logic, a more accurate salary system, fixes to the injured reserve system, better simulation stats, and more.Holy crap. It's NFL Head Coach 09!

JerzeyReign
05-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Didn't we have player roles or something similar in the past?

cdj
05-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Didn't we have player roles or something similar in the past?

There were Player Weapons, but I think they only highlighted a player strength or identity while it sounds like some of these Roles can help improve a position and/or team. Monday's blog & info should help clarify it more.

DariusLock
05-15-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm a Dynasty/Franchise junkie in sports games. I wish games would strive to makes those the center of their game. I hardly ever play NCAA online unless it's an Online Dynasty game. On the other hand I play Black Ops/Battlefield and others when I want my "online gaming" experience. Sports games to me are all about taking over my favorite team and winning championships/awards and continuously building on that.

Madden has lost me in the last few years, depending on what people say on Franchise mode I may actually buy it this year.

jaymo76
05-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I didn't hear anything there on INJURED RESERVE. It's a huge issue so I wonder what has been done with it. Also, I didn't like the free agency will be done in minutes comment. I want to hear more info on this because I hated Heach Coach free agency format and that's what Madden 12 sounds like.