PDA

View Full Version : Starhawk (PS3) - 2012

I OU a Beatn
05-13-2011, 12:52 AM
They just aired the reveal for this on GTTV. Holy shit. When it hits the internet, you guys have to watch it. Unbelievable.

I OU a Beatn
05-13-2011, 01:15 AM
http://reflexorbit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/starhawk14.jpg

http://reflexorbit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/starhawk13.jpg

http://reflexorbit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/starhawk11.jpg

http://reflexorbit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/starhawk12.jpg

-Robotic mechs Transform into starcraft, making it fit for both land and arial combat.
-The game will not be supporting sixaxis as it’s predecessor did
-The game will feature a story mode
-Setting takes place in a section of space known as The Frontier. This is much like the gold rush era.
-Rift Energy, which Humans refer to as Blue Gold, is a source of new energy that humans are harvesting
-There are two Factions: Outcast and rift miners
-Main character name is Emmit Graves and is infected with rift Energy along with his brother. His brother becomes mutated in the process,this eventually is what leads into the story where the main character is out to save his brother.
-Creating units and structure is a new feature and is meant to be easy to use for players. Things such as bunkers and turrets can be built. Troops can also be controled creating an RTS feel to the game with a blend of third person action.
-Rift energy is rewarded by killing guys or completing objectives. This can be used to upgrade characters, aircraft or built objects
-The game is very fast paced and features many weapons and vehicles. It plays much like Warhawk, maintaining the third person view.

Multiplayer:
-Much of the game play from Warhawk is kept the same. So players familiar with the game play will quickly be able to jump right nto the game.
-There are several modes for each map including the classical modes Capture the flag and team death matches.
-Acid Sea is one of the maps found in both single and multiplayer mode.
-Hazardous environment. For example on Acid Sea there are multiple rivers and drops that lead into a pool of burning acid.
-Enroll in either the outcast or Rifter Factions
-Many of the levels will be on moons that revolve around the single player planet.

The reveal video should be up later tonight, so I'll post it unless someone beats me to it. Looks incredible.

I OU a Beatn
05-13-2011, 02:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Azz9aqVwQ

JBHuskers
05-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Edited your post Beatn, the other one was taken down...not sure if this is the same video but it's from GamerLiveTV.

JBHuskers
05-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Looks like a combo of Warhawk and Mass Effect minus RPG stuffs. Color me interested. I'm sure PS+ guys will get in the beta. The building of structures is definitely interesting.

I OU a Beatn
05-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Close enough, but yeah, it looks absolutely amazing. I love the new art direction they took with the game, looks snazzy. There's just a TON of different elements to take into account here, so if they can balance everything out, I think I'll love it.

JBHuskers
05-13-2011, 11:17 AM
The problem with Warhawk was I was completely bored with it right off the bat.

cdj
05-25-2011, 12:29 PM
LightBox Interactive has released two new gameplay videos for Starhawk as well as detailing some of the game’s upcoming features.

According to LightBox president Dylan Jobe, Starhawk will feature both matchmaking and server lists. This will provide players with the option to join a casual matchmaking game where LightBox can monitor people for cheating and stat padding or the option to join custom “non official” server lists.

As for the new camera mode, Jobe confirms the camera has been moved closed to the character than in Warhawk, moving in and out between two separate angles depending on if the player is running and gunning or using the over-the-shoulder (OTS) sights for better accuracy.

http://www.psuni.com/wp-content/uploads/wppa/8499.jpg

“This new OTS aiming mode is enabled when you zoom in with your weapon,” said Jobe via the PS Blog. “It gives you a combat choice—you can do your normal run-and-gun at some cost of accuracy or you can go OTS for more accuracy, although you’ll be a bit slower.”

Furthermore, Jobe confirmed space environments in Starhawk, stating that fans will have to wait for E3 before seeing some the maps.

View the two new gameplay videos below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdbXX0cejc0&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shYtPhPuOmY&feature=player_embedded

Courtesy: PlayStation University (http://www.psuni.com/starhawk-multiplayer-and-single-player-gameplay-footage-surfaces-8891/)

I OU a Beatn
05-25-2011, 12:50 PM
I was excited at first, but after watching those, not so much. You can tell there's a TON of snap on aim assist, which is a huge turn off for me. Looks a lot like a 3rd person Halo. :D

DariusLock
05-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Hated the first one and this looks like much of the same with the aerial stuff.

morsdraconis
05-25-2011, 10:53 PM
It looks like another terrible TPS, in a heap of other terrible TPSs. People need to stop trying to copy a shitty system like GoW. TPSs are crap.

I OU a Beatn
05-25-2011, 11:08 PM
It looked good til I saw that God awful lock on aim assist. How do developers expect for their game to attract an online community when the game aims for you? It makes absolutely no sense.

morsdraconis
05-25-2011, 11:12 PM
It looked good til I saw that God awful lock on aim assist. How do developers expect for their game to attract an online community when the game aims for you? It makes absolutely no sense.

Well, that's to make up for the fact that aiming a gun with a controller is ridiculously more difficult than with a mouse. I can shoot the fuck out of someone with a keyboard and mouse, but I can't hit the broadside of a barn half the time with a controller.

I OU a Beatn
05-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Well, that's to make up for the fact that aiming a gun with a controller is ridiculously more difficult than with a mouse. I can shoot the fuck out of someone with a keyboard and mouse, but I can't hit the broadside of a barn half the time with a controller.

The aim assist is what pisses me off because I have absolutely no problem aiming with the controller, and like you said, it's implemented to basically even the ground out between the people who can aim very well and the people who aren't quite as able. I've seen some games implement zero aim assist(Gears - it's exactly why I love it), I've seen some implement a little(I can live with it), and then there's games that just stack on tons of it, and they're the ones that I can't stand. Call of Duty, Uncharted, Starhawk, etc...all do it and I can't stand playing online games that have it.

JBHuskers
05-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Warhawk to me was just VERY boring. With that said, I'm pretty sure I'll be in the beta, so we'll see.

DariusLock
05-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Call of Duty's isn't that bad to me. You have to put the crosshairs on the person and then it will track them for a moment. I usually lead my targets though as the aim assist sucks on CoD.

I OU a Beatn
05-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Call of Duty has the snap on garbage that I'm talking about with Starhawk. If your reticule is semi-close to the target, it'll actually lock on for you so most of your bullets are going to be hitting the target. It'll follow targets, too, but that isn't nearly as annoying as the game actually aiming for you. It's kind of hard for me to take a game seriously when 75% of my deaths are because the game is aiming for the other player.

DariusLock
05-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, I still seem to pwn kids in Black Ops tho.

lilheavy
05-28-2011, 02:19 PM

I'm exactly the opposite. Of course, I never really put any quality time in with a keyboard and mouse because my fingers cramp up after a short period of time.

DariusLock
05-30-2011, 12:12 PM
I played the Delta Force series on PC and it was quite fun! The main part that attracted me was how many players could be playing and it's when I was an EXPERT sniper in video games. The maps were so huge, I could get a mile or two away from the main battles and just pick people off! You would have to judge for distance and adjust your scope and lead targets if they were running. I was sooooo good at sniping on that game, I could get headshots on people who were running that far away.

COD Sniping is horse.... The maps are not big enough and the way they allow all the quick scoping crap is pointless. If you don't want it used like a sniper rifle then don't put it in the game. Make maps bigger, like valleys with a town in the middle...that way snipers can be far off like NORMAL!

I OU a Beatn
06-01-2011, 09:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv4Q69-pkHE

oweb26
06-09-2011, 12:08 PM
I seriously didnt know there was a thread for this game. I am looking forward to this one.

oweb26
06-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Warhawk to me was just VERY boring. With that said, I'm pretty sure I'll be in the beta, so we'll see.

I know warhawk was made by the same people, was it similar in nature?

gschwendt
06-09-2011, 12:27 PM
I know warhawk was made by the same people, was it similar in nature?
Identical except that it was more along the lines of "realistic" instead of space-based.

oweb26
06-09-2011, 02:00 PM
I never knew that I might pick up warhawk just for giggles since its so cheap.

Edit: Probably wont get it online only. That sucks.

JBHuskers
12-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Is anyone in the beta right now? I just got it installed.

oweb26
12-10-2011, 07:38 PM
I haven't even put in my code, I haven't even opened the damn game.

I guess I will do that.

oweb26
12-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Guess nothing for me code is invalid. lol

JBHuskers
12-11-2011, 01:46 PM
At first glance of playing the game, it seems just like Warhawk, fairly boring.

I OU a Beatn
01-17-2012, 05:47 PM
It's up for Plus members. I'm downloading it now, and although I fully expect it to suck(I thought Warhawk was one of the worst online games I've ever played), in a way, I'm hopeful it'll be decent.

DariusLock
03-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Demo is fun...only played capture the flag. I really like the ability to build turrets, Anti-Aircraft lasers, jet pad, sniper tower, and more. Very interesting.

oweb26
03-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Demo is fun...only played capture the flag. I really like the ability to build turrets, Anti-Aircraft lasers, jet pad, sniper tower, and more. Very interesting.

I was in the beta and I never could get the fucker to load. It was just stay at the loading screen for hours. I just gave up, I would assume its better now since its something everyone can play.

What is your overall impression of it? Give it a number or grade?

JBHuskers
03-02-2012, 10:53 AM
I may give it another chance now that I'm more receptive to vehicles in shooters with BF3. But like Warhawk, there just didn't feel like there was any energy in it.

DariusLock
03-02-2012, 11:06 AM
I didn't really play too much, but the building concept is pretty cool. I built like 1 turret and 2 lasers on one game and destroyed people coming for the flag.

I OU a Beatn
03-02-2012, 11:14 AM
I may give it another chance now that I'm more receptive to vehicles in shooters with BF3. But like Warhawk, there just didn't feel like there was any energy in it.

I agree with Warhawk, and I feel exactly the same way with Starhawk. There's way too much of a focus on building and flying shit as opposed to actually going against the enemy. I didn't play in any 32 player matches, but I don't think it would matter...I was completely bored the entire time I played the beta.

oweb26
03-02-2012, 12:32 PM
I agree with Warhawk, and I feel exactly the same way with Starhawk. There's way too much of a focus on building and flying shit as opposed to actually going against the enemy. I didn't play in any 32 player matches, but I don't think it would matter...I was completely bored the entire time I played the beta.

So is that a "not really that good" decision on the game?

I OU a Beatn
03-02-2012, 03:04 PM
It really depends on what you want. IMO, the ability to build all these automated turrets and defenses totally takes away from the combat. It takes so long to go from where you spawn and it's really, really annoying to be killed by a stupid CPU controlled turret after wasting 5 minutes just getting down there. I had numerous games where I would play the entire 20 or 30 minutes and only have like 4 or 5 kills and deaths.

I LOVE the gun play and the strafe battles when they occur and they feel awesome, but they're so rare that it doesn't matter to me. MAG had long distance maps, too, but there was a ton of action in that game. In Starhawk, there's really not much going on and like JB said...it just feels really uninspiring and boring. Since the beta is open to everyone now, the best way to see is to download it and try it again for yourself.