PDA

View Full Version : Connect PS3 to Laptop?

CLW
05-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Another day another CLW is a tech moron thread :nod:

I am in Houston looking at apartments and doing some job interviews. I always travel with my PS3.

I check into the Renaissance and they have the t.v. in some huge ass entertainment thing and there is ZERO ability to get to the back of the t.v. to hook up my PS3 :down: :smh:

I then got to thinking, I think my laptop has an HDMI input. Sure enough there is 1 HDMI port on my 17" laptop.

So if I hook up my PS3 through HDMI to my laptop will my laptop automatically detect the PS3 and work or will there be something else I need to do? I'm almost too scared to try hooking it up worrying it might fry my laptop or worse my PS3. :fp:

LOL go figure my 2K post is an I'm an idiot please help me with electronics thread/post. :nod:

CLW
05-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Update: Just tried hooking it up and no picture so unless i figure out how to get the laptop to recognize the PS3 no PS3 for me for the next 4 days (unless i can find another hotel for cheaper)

gschwendt
05-12-2011, 01:45 PM
That HDMI connection on your laptop is for HDMI out to hook it up to a TV. There's not really a good way to hook up your PS3 to your laptop (without of course the HD-PVR or similar setup). Does the TV not have any sort of connection (either front or side) for the TV?

morsdraconis
05-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Yeah man, without a connection in the front of the TV, sounds like you're screwed. Find another hotel!

psuexv
05-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Find another hotel!

Or a local hardware store and drill a hole in that entertainment center.

JBHuskers
05-12-2011, 02:41 PM

:D we'll leave the light on for you, but you can't use our TV for your PS3.

psuexv
05-12-2011, 02:42 PM
CLW - how about a pic of this setup? I want to see this entertainment center

psuexv
05-12-2011, 02:44 PM
BTW - if you F it up too bad I'm sure we can fix it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cneCgNA9U

CLW
05-12-2011, 05:00 PM
That HDMI connection on your laptop is for HDMI out to hook it up to a TV. There's not really a good way to hook up your PS3 to your laptop (without of course the HD-PVR or similar setup). Does the TV not have any sort of connection (either front or side) for the TV?

No hook ups on front/side of tv. Its a standard def coxial connection! :smh: I have that plugin in my bag but I cannot get to the back of the set to use the tool a Marriott employee gave me to take off the cap. :nod:

Yeah man, without a connection in the front of the TV, sounds like you're screwed. Find another hotel!

Yeah I have an interview tomorrow and after Fri I may look for a diff hotel. I just picked the Marriott that was close and fairly cheap.

LOL that's an idea but it would still be SD and even worse via coxial cable.

:D we'll leave the light on for you, but you can't use our TV for your PS3.

LOL most of the hotels block the PS3 but I have found away around all of them. Usually its simply plug it in and unplug the phone line from the back which allows you to switch the input settings. Some (usually the plug-in tech rooms) work w/o any hasstle. I always try to find one of those when traveling on business and it isn't on my dime. This trip is on my dime to find a job and home in Houston.

CLW - how about a pic of this setup? I want to see this entertainment center

LOL I might do that. This thing is HUGE and weighs a TON.