PDA

View Full Version : Dark Souls - October 2011

JBHuskers
05-12-2011, 11:24 AM
So does anyone like tourture? Did anyone play Demon's Souls? The game is phenomenal, but f'n tough. The sequel comes out in October, and you get a lot of nice stuff for preordering. Meaning just for pre-ordering you get the collector's edition. (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/11/dark-souls-collectors-edition-offered-as-pre-order-bonus/)

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2011/05/dscollector.jpg

I OU a Beatn
05-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Saw that yesterday and preordered the 360 version through Amazon. I wish more developers/publishers would do this. It sure as hell beats paying an extra $20. Plus, you also get the people buying it that are going to try to make a profit on eBay later, so it's guaranteed to attract more sales.

oweb26
05-12-2011, 11:43 AM
I will more than likely get it and I didnt even beat Demon Souls maybe I will start playing it since I have nothing to play until football.

Also for some reason I like my RPG's on the PS3 more than I do the 360. I really don't know why.

JBHuskers
05-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I will more than likely get it and I didnt even beat Demon Souls maybe I will start playing it since I have nothing to play until football.

Also for some reason I like my RPG's on the PS3 more than I do the 360. I really don't know why.

Hell I didn't get past the 2nd level :D but I am going to try to give it a go sometime soon, maybe the gem stone or whatever they call it is at white now since it's been a while after release?

oweb26
05-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Yeah I didn't figure out until later that the best way is royality to start the game. I started as a thief and it was frustrating. I made it to the third world or whatever they are called.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

morsdraconis
05-12-2011, 02:17 PM
I couldn't get into it at all. Couldn't even get past the first "level" or whatever. The dude at the end kept killing me in 3 hits so I gave up. Feel bad for giving up like that, but the combat was pretty bland, in my opinion, anyway, so I moved on.

oweb26
05-12-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm not even an RPG player but this was probably one of the better ones I have played.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I OU a Beatn
05-13-2011, 01:07 AM
:D

I have no idea how I didn't recognize this was a "sequel" to Demon's Souls, but I didn't. I'll have to switch my order to PS3 then. I'll also have to order Demon's Souls and give that a try. I've heard it's hard as hell, but I've noticed that I really love irritating myself with hard games, so why not?

JBHuskers
05-13-2011, 08:47 AM
:D

I have no idea how I didn't recognize this was a "sequel" to Demon's Souls, but I didn't. I'll have to switch my order to PS3 then. I'll also have to order Demon's Souls and give that a try. I've heard it's hard as hell, but I've noticed that I really love irritating myself with hard games, so why not?

There's some sort of a gem stone for each "realm" and the color bases the difficulty, and it is ever changing. If it is black, just grab your ankles.

JBHuskers
05-13-2011, 02:51 PM
For those interested, Demon's Souls is $19.99 on Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/Demons-Souls-Greatest-Hits-Playstation-3/dp/B002AB7TX8/ref=as_li_tf_sw?&camp=212361&linkCode=wsw&tag=thegamtai-20&creative=380789)

I OU a Beatn
05-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I think I'm going to wait another month or so before I get it. I have L.A. Noire coming Tuesday, which is said to be 40+ hours long. By the time I get done with that, inFAMOUS 2 will be out. Alice: Madness Returns comes out a week after that. Then I should have some free time for gaming, so I'll probably get it and play it towards the end of June/early July.

oweb26
05-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Question for you Amazon pre-order nuts, I was about to pre-order this game do I pay in full right now? OR does it simply charge a deposit i.e 5.00 or 10.00?

I OU a Beatn
05-23-2011, 08:54 PM
It doesn't charge anything until the day before it releases, in which case it'll charge you the full amount.

oweb26
05-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Next preorder question, Since Amazon normally does credit and the likes for doing there preorders, will I still get that if I preorder at this time when nothing is being offered? Or is it better to just wait until something is offered and then preorder?

morsdraconis
05-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Next preorder question, Since Amazon normally does credit and the likes for doing there preorders, will I still get that if I preorder at this time when nothing is being offered? Or is it better to just wait until something is offered and then preorder?

They almost invariably upgrade your preorder.

oweb26
10-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Well this is a pretty good way to deter people from at least connecting online before the street date........
The rumor around the internet today is that From Software, creators of Demon's Souls, is fighting back against those who are somehow already playing Dark Souls, whilst being online.

Using the Dark Souls online component that allows players to jump in and out of each others worlds, From is sending max-level Black Phantoms to attack those playing Dark Souls due to retailers breaking release date.

A screenshot provided shows the stats of one Phantom that has been found – level 145 with 1900HP, with all abilities and skills at 99.

Dark Souls will be released on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, in North America, Europe, and Japan, on October 4, October 7, and September 22, respectively.

http://www.psu.com/Prepare-to-get-trolled-if-you-are-playing-Dark-Souls-early--a012996-p0.php

If you guys have never played depending on the world tendacies different phantoms can drop into a game, depending on actions taken...etc. Well these things can be a bitch if you aren't powerful enough and I know its a bitch if everything is at 99 because that's something as a player I doubt you ever really reach.

oweb26
10-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Reviews are starting to pour in on this game...
The reviewer's job is difficult when it comes to a game like Dark Souls. I simply can't unreservedly recommend that you buy it. It's not a game that you play to relax. It doesn't care in the slightest about whether you're enjoying yourself, and it doesn't give a fig for your notions of entertainment or your mental well-being. If you just play games for fun, this isn't for you, and no amount of insistence on my part is going to change that. But if you're interested in the limits of the videogame form – to see just how focused, how pure and how uncompromising in its vision a game can be – Dark Souls is unmissable. If you take the time get into Dark Souls' mindset, to begin to understand the twisted way in which it operates and taste the rewards behind its cruellest challenges, this is one of the most thrilling, most fascinating and most completely absorbing experiences in gaming.
IGN RATINGS FOR DARK SOULS (PS3)
Rating Description
out of 10 Click here for ratings guide
9.5 Presentation
The creature and environment design is incomparable, confidently spanning the extremes between disgusting, horrific, majestic and desolately beautiful.
9.0 Graphics
Occasional slow-down in busy areas is not enough to take the sheen off this world.
9.5 Sound
Dark Souls' sound design is astounding, from the beating of mighty wings to the atmospheric drip-drip-drip of a dank sewer.
9.0 Gameplay
Tight, exciting combat is a the core of brutally fair design that only occasionally crosses the line.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
There are at least 60 hours in the first playthrough, with plenty more in exploration and experimentation.
OVERALL
Amazing
(out of 10)

I will only quote the IGN one, and link a couple more.

http://www.nowgamer.com/ps3/ps3-reviews/1077681/dark_souls_review.html

http://beefjack.com/reviews/dark-souls-review-xbox-360-ps3/

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dark-souls

Only two reviews up on metacritic, though I am not familiar with some of these sites I linked. Oh well you get the point, game is great, but hard.

bdoughty
10-07-2011, 04:37 PM
This game is getting amazing reviews from everyone. I never got to play Demon Souls since I lacked a PS3 but this will keep me busy until Skyrim hits.

oweb26
10-07-2011, 04:43 PM
This game is awesome, I have played about 5 hours and haven't even gotten past the first part I'm just casually searching around places and fighting stuff. I have beaten two bosses about to fight a third.

JBHuskers
10-07-2011, 04:48 PM
I should go back into Demon's Souls and play since the tendency is on white til Halloween :D

bdoughty
10-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Let the torture begin, game just arrived and installing to the 360 HD.

JBHuskers
10-10-2011, 04:10 PM
This game is awesome, I have played about 5 hours and haven't even gotten past the first part I'm just casually searching around places and fighting stuff. I have beaten two bosses about to fight a third.

Let the torture begin, game just arrived and installing to the 360 HD.

See above quote. Enjoy :D

bdoughty
10-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Crap on a Cracker, where is my jump button? I like how it tosses you in a boss a couple minutes into the game. Just kept dying and dying and dying until I found a door to GTFO.

bdoughty
10-11-2011, 02:34 AM
Just a wee bit too tough for my taste. I like a challenge but I will have to pass and give it to a friend.

oweb26
10-11-2011, 04:52 AM
LOL its not that bad once you figure some things out. Like don't try to do too much.
Become really good with the roll button
Stick and Move
All the bosses and creatures have predetermined animations, memorize them.
Take it slow

Once you start getting level ups its starts getting better because you can carry better weapons. What class did you start with?

bdoughty
10-11-2011, 03:54 PM
LOL its not that bad once you figure some things out. Like don't try to do too much.
Become really good with the roll button
Stick and Move
All the bosses and creatures have predetermined animations, memorize them.
Take it slow

Once you start getting level ups its starts getting better because you can carry better weapons. What class did you start with?

I tried a couple of them. Sorcerer and I think Wanderer. Just did not get a good feel for the game.

Trust me I got real good at the roll button. I made the stupid mistake of beating up on that Crestfallen Warrior when you first get to the Firelink Shrine. Let's just say that even with the Soul Arrows, he was pretty much unbeatable. Also the save would always go back to him attacking you and I tried over and over and over and had his damage meter completely empty on a couple occasions but could never kill him. That is when I started over but really just could not get into it. I am just that way, I can tell pretty early on if I am going to like a game.

oweb26
10-11-2011, 06:20 PM
I tried a couple of them. Sorcerer and I think Wanderer. Just did not get a good feel for the game.

Trust me I got real good at the roll button. I made the stupid mistake of beating up on that Crestfallen Warrior when you first get to the Firelink Shrine. Let's just say that even with the Soul Arrows, he was pretty much unbeatable. Also the save would always go back to him attacking you and I tried over and over and over and had his damage meter completely empty on a couple occasions but could never kill him. That is when I started over but really just could not get into it. I am just that way, I can tell pretty early on if I am going to like a game.

Luckily I read online about attacking the NPC's (none playable characters) and how hard they are later in the game when you bump into them how deadly they are.

I started at the undead burg and I am currently in the Undead parish about to go to the lower ones whenever I get back on it. I am a wanderer and those damn black knights give me fits I have a pretty good sword thats helping me , but damn they are frustrating.

bdoughty
10-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I should have known better than to attack but I figured he would kill me once and then we move on. My friend has already called me asking if I want it back. I had to pass. Just wanting something to get me by until Skyrim hits. I finished Dead island and had nothing else to do.

bdoughty
10-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Well I got the game back because apparently my friend has a bigger vagina than me. I just need to figure out a good class to start out with.

morsdraconis
10-14-2011, 08:40 PM
I wish the fuckin' game came out for the PC. Bunch of wankers.

oweb26
10-15-2011, 05:17 AM
Well I got the game back because apparently my friend has a bigger vagina than me. I just need to figure out a good class to start out with.

Any of the first three classes are good I would personally go with a wanderer, as there dexterity is high and you have the faith and intelligence to cast spells if you want to go that way. Honestly after awhile you will be what you want to be but sometimes its great to just start with what you want if you aren't sure I would go with the two that they say are the good all around classes.

Also pick the damn master key I chose the hp ring and I tell you its so small of a boost I might as well not have it.

morsdraconis
10-20-2011, 10:01 AM
God damn it, I want to play this game SO bad. I'm going to end up having to buy it. (sigh)

oweb26
10-20-2011, 10:08 AM

How is the game treating you? I still haven't fought the gargoyles yet as I have been soul farming. Also another rule of thumb beat that damn dragon on the bridge before you get to the undead parish I think it is. It will take something like 40 arrows, buy 50+ as you are bound to miss a couple of times, but he gives 10K souls which can do alot of good things with.

God damn it, I want to play this game SO bad. I'm going to end up having to buy it. (sigh)

Go ahead and buy it man, its worth every headache you get from it.

bdoughty
10-21-2011, 01:20 AM
It is in my To-Do pile. I am still obsessed with Dead Island but I want to start back up soon.