PDA

View Full Version : IGN LiveStream of NCAA Football 12 - Video & Recap

Pages : 1 [2]

psuexv
05-12-2011, 09:00 AM
So just catching up, nice to see a 1-5-5 in the Nickel. also in the FSU/Fla came the zone coverage does look really good.

oweb26
05-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Well, when players can still cut on a dime without losing an ounce of speed, yes that worries me.

I see what you are saying but what iteration of the game has that not happened? What football game in general has that not happened outside of one of the physic based engines?

Its nowhere near as bad as it was were you could just scramble around and get open just because you were faster, you get the angle you get the tackle. I'm not trying to dilute your point "freshman" moreless playing devils advocate.

psusnoop
05-12-2011, 10:27 AM
See, the first and only time I did it, it screwed up and I wasn't impatient or anything. It just totally screwed up at the end of the call after I had spent all my time and then didn't register anything on the guy at all. It was a total waste of time and I vowed never to do my recruiting online again and never have. Maybe it just doesn't like Firefox and if that's the case, then EA can shove it up their collective asses then because I refuse to have to use anything that requires me to use a certain browser.

I only used it on Firefox, so I'm sure that wasn't the case. It very well could have been numerous factors to be honest, I just wanted to say that I used it a lot and didn't have any problems though I know of more then just yourself that did. I don't think there is an easy fix because many of the problems are way out of EA's hand, IP's and such.

JBHuskers
05-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Question out to the group... I edited the video to only show gameplay footage and show it at 1/4 speed. I started the upload for it but apparently my computer decided it wanted to do an update for Windows overnight so neither of the videos finished uploading.

All that said, would you watch those videos? There are two videos (one for each game) and they're approximately 9 minutes long so to upload them will take about 2.5 hours each. Let me know any thoughts.

Thanks for doing that G!

Jaredlib
05-12-2011, 10:58 AM
I think the game looks great. I realize a lot of things presentation wise are straight from 11 but 11 was a good game anyway.

The IMPORTANT stuff, how the game plays, especially on defense, looks a LOT better in this vids.

gschwendt
05-12-2011, 10:58 AM
I try to re-upload the videos tonight... since it will take about 5 hours, I can't really kill my productivity while I'm working for that long.

steelerfan
05-12-2011, 11:02 AM
See, the first and only time I did it, it screwed up and I wasn't impatient or anything. It just totally screwed up at the end of the call after I had spent all my time and then didn't register anything on the guy at all. It was a total waste of time and I vowed never to do my recruiting online again and never have. Maybe it just doesn't like Firefox and if that's the case, then EA can shove it up their collective asses then because I refuse to have to use anything that requires me to use a certain browser.

Don't worry, the game is not coming out on PC (console only), so you won't have to be bothered with any of it or attempt to violently insert it into any anal passageways.

psusnoop
05-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Don't worry, the game is not coming out on PC (console only), so you won't have to be bothered with any of it or attempt to violently insert it into any anal passageways.

:D:D:D

psusnoop
05-12-2011, 11:56 AM
I try to re-upload the videos tonight... since it will take about 5 hours, I can't really kill my productivity while I'm working for that long.

We all know you are "NOT" working right now, hahahaha just kidding that will work great and again we really appreciate this very much.

Jayrah
05-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Also I know it's a small thing, but was anyone afraid by the fact they didn't plaster the "WIP LOGO" onto the screen?

No not really. The game is the game at this point. There wont be any new features or animations added now iirc. However there is still a lot of tweaking to be done, codes to be checked via bugs, etc.

JBHuskers
05-12-2011, 12:26 PM
No not really. The game is the game at this point. There wont be any new features or animations added now iirc. However there is still a lot of tweaking to be done, codes to be checked via bugs, etc.

Correct.

xMrHitStickx904
05-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Yeah, lots of tweaking and tuning left. For a game that we saw on May 11-13th that will probably be gold in another month, I think it looked pretty good.

Jayrah
05-12-2011, 01:16 PM
from the way that reads about super sim is that you can now call the plays? and the play itself is sim'd... dont know if they can answer that question but that seems to be the translation i am getting from that... we can already "super sim" but that says "call your games" which i am taking as call your plays, more of a "coach" setup... which is cool if thats the case
"E"

Almost a suggestion of broadcast cam here. I sure hope that's the case.

Well, when players can still cut on a dime without losing an ounce of speed, yes that worries me.

Also, there was little to no pressure through the course of both games. The CPU QB awareness scared me as well, they boasted about the CPU now scrambles, but the QB would sit in the pocket for 5-6 seconds with everyone blanketed and made no attempt to roll out/scramble.

Not a whole lot of blitzing going on either. Also some pretty good O-line's involved. Would you like to see more bull rushes? LOL! Will have to wait it out on the pressure thing. However I will say that pressure is not a huge concern for me at default level, as long as I can tweak it in sliders to allow for better pressure, that will be fine.

I will watch them for sure...

Am I the only one that thought the rush was good? I feel like there was a good amount of pressure. Some plays had no pressure but others had a guy breaking thru as the pass was thrown. There is not necessarily pressure in real football on every play. I think I saw 1 sack in 2 qtrs played. ...not bad.

One sack in 10 minutes of play is not good pressure. However to account for scrambling qb's and again, not much blitzing, it's not bad.

I don't know, I was told after the mental clock of 3 seconds elapsed. You either, roll out, scramble, look for a check down, throw it away. Not stand there for 7 Mississippi.

Gotta stand tall in the pocket as long as you can! Allow your receivers time to get open if you have the ability to do that by stepping up in the pocket, but you don't immediately bail, especially if the d-line hasn't been threatening you much and there's no blitz. I played qb too lol. Well in HS, but still.

ram29jackson
05-12-2011, 01:18 PM
LMAO "we don't have the rights to real players" and there was your awkward Sam Keller lawsuit moment

that just shows how amateur these things are. How could they not thoroughly discuss beforehand that you DO NOT say real players names what so ever.

AustinWolv
05-12-2011, 01:21 PM
that just shows how amateur these things are. How could they not thoroughly discuss beforehand that you DO NOT say real players names what so ever.
Last year and this year......their ability to the play the game looked weak compared to the guys we play here....

JBHuskers
05-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah, lots of tweaking and tuning left. For a game that we saw on May 11-13th that will probably be gold in another month, I think it looked pretty good.

I totally agree. It's going to be fun and challenging this year. Good thing for custom playbooks, because my offense is pretty terrible in the air right now. I can get a decent run game going, but it's not 300 a game like in 11. It's a solid 140 with 6 ypc....I will have to delve into custom playbooks and find out which plays are going to work better for me, because a lot of the plays I used in 11, just simply are not there to be successful a good deal of the time in 12.

Deuce
05-12-2011, 01:37 PM
One sack in 10 minutes of play is not good pressure. However to account for scrambling qb's and again, not much blitzing, it's not bad.

Just for reference...Florida State lead FBS with 48 sacks last year. They played 14 games which equals 56 qtrs. On average that's about 1.16 sacks per qtr...but since they were playing 5 minute qtrs you'd have to think about number of plays. Either way...it's not that far off.

Of course, It's only 10 minutes of play so saying it's good/bad is kinda silly! Ha ha

Tarhead10
05-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Just for reference...Florida State lead FBS with 48 sacks last year. They played 14 games which equals 56 qtrs. On average that's about 1.16 sacks per qtr...but since they were playing 5 minute qtrs you'd have to think about number of plays. Either way...it's not that far off.

Of course, It's only 10 minutes of play so saying it's good/bad is kinda silly! Ha ha

Yeah and you have to figure in that the two guys playing are not actually blowing up the stick skillz either... ;)

smace767
05-12-2011, 02:07 PM

Its actual .86 sacks per qrt. Considering how those guys played and the fact that there were a couple of plays that the qb's were under pressure, and hit while throwing, it wasn't that bad.

What i didnt notice and will have to watch again is the blitzer's path to the qb.

In ncaa 11 you could have an overload to one side and blitzer's would take terrible paths to the qb and get caught in traffic or sucked into blocks.

Roy38
05-12-2011, 02:08 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw some changes to the Play Call screen where you choose your formations (check Video #2 at 0:13 mark). It looks like they removed Goal Line from this menu (used to be "X", I think.) and kept Formation Package Substitutions (Right Stick), Special Teams (Y), and Sim (RB) - but what is "Adjustment" (LB)? That's new, isn't it?

gschwendt
05-12-2011, 02:12 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw some changes to the Play Call screen where you choose your formations (check Video #2 at 0:13 mark). It looks like they removed Goal Line from this menu (used to be "X", I think.) and kept Formation Package Substitutions (Right Stick), Special Teams (Y), and Sim (RB) - but what is "Adjustment" (LB)? That's new, isn't it?
The Adjustment (LB) option is for gameplan adjustments (agressive/normal/conservative). I'm not sure if Goalline is gone or not... at one time they were considering having rotating information down there but not sure if they will or not. You might still be able to hit X but I'm not certain.

Deuce
05-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Its actual .86 sacks per qrt. Considering how those guys played and the fact that there were a couple of plays that the qb's were under pressure, and hit while throwing, it wasn't that bad.

What i didnt notice and will have to watch again is the blitzer's path to the qb.

In ncaa 11 you could have an overload to one side and blitzer's would take terrible paths to the qb and get caught in traffic or sucked into blocks.

Wow...I'm an idiot. And to think...I majored in Math!

smace767
05-12-2011, 02:21 PM
My bad.
Im an older guy who took calc years ago. I transferred and found out I still had to take Statistics this qrt so those things stick out right now.

Deuce
05-12-2011, 02:27 PM
My bad.
Im an older guy who took calc years ago. I transferred and found out I still had to take Statistics this qrt so those things stick out right now.

Thanks for the correction! Actually pretty damn funny. I'm a merchandise planner so I look at numbers all day. I have no excuse.

morsdraconis
05-12-2011, 02:30 PM

I can tell you for a fact, if they come out and say that dynasty mode has coaching carousel (even if it's shit compared to College Hoops 2k8), I'm going to cave like a little girl and end up preordering it. I just know it's going to happen. I'll get over all the little things if I can play a dynasty past 4 or 5 seasons and it actually be worth it.

steelerfan
05-12-2011, 02:40 PM
I can tell you for a fact, if they come out and say that dynasty mode has coaching carousel (even if it's shit compared to College Hoops 2k8), I'm going to cave like a little girl and end up preordering it. I just know it's going to happen. I'll get over all the little things if I can play a dynasty past 4 or 5 seasons and it actually be worth it.

Lol, I kinda figured there was a breaking point somewhere. I guess we'll have to wait and see what else they've added. :)

JBHuskers
05-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Hopefully tonight or tomorrow or this weekend (who knows) I will sit down and watch the IGN video and see what I missed. Lots of posts in this thread I can definitely see.

psusnoop
05-12-2011, 03:29 PM
I'll add in on the sacks comments as well because in the FSU vs FLA game there were only 14 plays and of those 14, I think it was 9 of them were pass plays. Just not enough to gauge whether there is or isn't an effective pass rush in my opinion.

Roy38
05-12-2011, 03:56 PM
The Adjustment (LB) option is for gameplan adjustments (agressive/normal/conservative). I'm not sure if Goalline is gone or not... at one time they were considering having rotating information down there but not sure if they will or not. You might still be able to hit X but I'm not certain.

Thanks.

psuexv
05-12-2011, 04:05 PM

Then what was the gameplanning button on the left for?

gschwendt
05-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Do you mean the "Choose Style" (B)?

If so, that's for playcalling style such as "By Formation" (normal), "Ask Coach", "Recent Plays", etc.

If not, point me in the direction of what you're talking about.

JBHuskers
05-12-2011, 04:08 PM

On the left of?

psuexv
05-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Do you mean the "Choose Style" (B)?

If so, that's for playcalling style such as "By Formation" (normal), "Ask Coach", "Recent Plays", etc.

If not, point me in the direction of what you're talking about.

Ok yeah it's choose style... I couldn't remember exactly what it was. Just found it again in the vid.

xMrHitStickx904
05-12-2011, 05:29 PM
another livestream tonight I presume.

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/on-the-spot/

saw it on FB.

xMrHitStickx904
05-12-2011, 05:34 PM
I'll admit, when Madden and NCAA played the same on the PS2, I thought those were glory days we wouldn't see for awhile. I feel like both games have taken their own identity, especially with how they play, and it looks great. Definitely looking forward to th demo when it comes out, just to get a feel of how it plays. It looks like it plays like NCAA 11, but 09 and 10 did as well, and we saw how that turned out.

rhombic21
05-12-2011, 05:51 PM
I'll add in on the sacks comments as well because in the FSU vs FLA game there were only 14 plays and of those 14, I think it was 9 of them were pass plays. Just not enough to gauge whether there is or isn't an effective pass rush in my opinion.

You guys are focusing on the wrong statistic. Most defensive coordinators don't just care about sacks, they care about QB pressures and hurries. In watching the videos, there are basically 3 possible outcomes on passing plays. 1) Somebody beats their man immediately and gets virtually instant pressure, 2) The defense blitzes and somebody comes in untouched and gets immediate pressure, or 3) Nobody beats their man immediately and the QB has virtually all day to pass.

The issue is not the lack of sacks. That has NEVER been the issue. The issue is that it's completely all or nothing. On the non-sack plays, the QB has virtually all day to pass and is rarely even forced to reset in the pocket or evade pressure. He has nobody in his face and is not forced to make a quick decision (unless the defense blitzes, in which case there is a hole in the coverage that can be exploited easily so long as the blitz is properly identified).

The issue is that the front 4 on this game rarely does anything to disrupt the passing game. Aside from a handful of times when they get instant pressure due to rare "win" animations playing out, most of the sacks that you see on this game are coverage sacks, or are generated via blitzes that result in an unblocked rusher. In real life dominant defensive lines affect the game on EVERY snap, not just the ones where they actually sack the QB. They do so by forcing the offense to execute the passing game under pressure and without a lot of time for deeper routes to develop. What's really missing here is the ability of the DL to force the QB to get rid of the ball before he wants to. That is what the issue is, and that's what the issue has always been.

Stop focusing on sack statistics as the only metric to judge the pass rush.

xMrHitStickx904
05-12-2011, 06:04 PM
EDIT : disregard.

xMrHitStickx904
05-12-2011, 06:06 PM
You guys are focusing on the wrong statistic. Most defensive coordinators don't just care about sacks, they care about QB pressures and hurries. In watching the videos, there are basically 3 possible outcomes on passing plays. 1) Somebody beats their man immediately and gets virtually instant pressure, 2) The defense blitzes and somebody comes in untouched and gets immediate pressure, or 3) Nobody beats their man immediately and the QB has virtually all day to pass.

The issue is not the lack of sacks. That has NEVER been the issue. The issue is that it's completely all or nothing. On the non-sack plays, the QB has virtually all day to pass and is rarely even forced to reset in the pocket or evade pressure. He has nobody in his face and is not forced to make a quick decision (unless the defense blitzes, in which case there is a hole in the coverage that can be exploited easily so long as the blitz is properly identified).

The issue is that the front 4 on this game rarely does anything to disrupt the passing game. Aside from a handful of times when they get instant pressure due to rare "win" animations playing out, most of the sacks that you see on this game are coverage sacks, or are generated via blitzes that result in an unblocked rusher. In real life dominant defensive lines affect the game on EVERY snap, not just the ones where they actually sack the QB. They do so by forcing the offense to execute the passing game under pressure and without a lot of time for deeper routes to develop. What's really missing here is the ability of the DL to force the QB to get rid of the ball before he wants to. That is what the issue is, and that's what the issue has always been.

Completely agree with you 100 % here, I rather hurry the QB and get hits at a good ratio, rather than the "hit or miss" tactic for sacks right now.

Jayrah
05-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Completely agree with you 100 % here, I rather hurry the QB and get hits at a good ratio, rather than the "hit or miss" tactic for sacks right now.

Yup this is definitely the issue. Not the sack count

Rudy
05-12-2011, 06:20 PM
I agree with Rhombic about the all or nothing pressure. That's why they need to reduce pancakes and knock downs and find a way to keep the players moving while blocking. A DT that gets a bull rush up the middle that just slowly pushes the guard back into the QB is good. Having the right ratio between a player quickly beating his opponent vs. a gradual win or lose is the important thing. It would also help the spread-option running game.

That said, I suck at passing. If I only got 3 seconds to throw the ball against the cpu I would never get anything going. I can usually get this area pretty good for me with sliders. I honestly haven't cared that much about the pass rush the last few years for offline play. 90%+ of the complaints come from the online community.

psusnoop
05-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Not a whole lot of blitzing going on either. Also some pretty good O-line's involved. Would you like to see more bull rushes? LOL! Will have to wait it out on the pressure thing. However I will say that pressure is not a huge concern for me at default level, as long as I can tweak it in sliders to allow for better pressure, that will be fine.

I will watch them for sure...

Am I the only one that thought the rush was good? I feel like there was a good amount of pressure. Some plays had no pressure but others had a guy breaking thru as the pass was thrown. There is not necessarily pressure in real football on every play. I think I saw 1 sack in 2 qtrs played. ...not bad.

Rhombic, I wasn't saying that I think the rush is perfect by any means either just to be sure we are understanding each other. Nor was I pointing out that hey there was 1 sack in the game in 2 quarters it should be fine. I saw some posts that could have been taken that way by some and wanted to share my opinion that it may be a little early to jump to that conclusion.

I also saw where you said that there were to many Defensive Lineman falling down and I think I counted 6 players falling or being pancaked in the first quarter we saw of FSU vs FLA and that number didn't stick out as to much to me. Twice the DT was double teamed, once it was a user. But again it is such a small sampling to even think about drawing a comparision on that level that it isn't fair to anyone to do so.

psusnoop
05-12-2011, 08:00 PM
I agree with Rhombic about the all or nothing pressure. That's why they need to reduce pancakes and knock downs and find a way to keep the players moving while blocking. A DT that gets a bull rush up the middle that just slowly pushes the guard back into the QB is good. Having the right ratio between a player quickly beating his opponent vs. a gradual win or lose is the important thing. It would also help the spread-option running game.

That said, I suck at passing. If I only got 3 seconds to throw the ball against the cpu I would never get anything going. I can usually get this area pretty good for me with sliders. I honestly haven't cared that much about the pass rush the last few years for offline play. 90%+ of the complaints come from the online community.

I think I'm the worst passer in the damn game. I feel that way at times atleast.

Deuce
05-12-2011, 08:06 PM
I'll focus on whatever I want. Judging the game on 10 minutes of gameplay is dumb...good or bad.

rhombic21
05-12-2011, 08:16 PM
I'll focus on whatever I want. Judging the game on 10 minutes of gameplay is dumb...good or bad.

Let's be honest, here. I'm judging it on more than just 10 minutes of gameplay, because I played hundreds of hours on NCAA 09-11, and for all intents and purposes the line play on '12 is similar to what it was on those games. That much is clear after watching the videos that have already been released, and after listening to what people who had hands-on time with the game had to say.

psusnoop
05-12-2011, 08:16 PM

Absolutely that is the great thing about a game with sliders, you can adjust things to ones liking. What you may like as far as pressure and time to release the ball may and probably will be different from me or anyone else for that matter. Doesn't mean you or me are wrong, just different in things we enjoy out of the game. Which is why appeasing one set of people may upset the cart for others which makes EA's job all that much more difficult to balance.

rhombic21
05-12-2011, 08:23 PM
I also saw where you said that there were to many Defensive Lineman falling down and I think I counted 6 players falling or being pancaked in the first quarter we saw of FSU vs FLA and that number didn't stick out as to much to me. Twice the DT was double teamed, once it was a user. But again it is such a small sampling to even think about drawing a comparision on that level that it isn't fair to anyone to do so.

I guess I disagree. If we're talking about 6 players falling down in less than 20 snaps of play, that's a fairly high frequency of defensive linemen getting blocked completely to the ground, which doesn't happen all that often (on passing plays in particular), in real life. In the OK State-Missou vid, there is one play on Ben's second drive where 3 of the 4 defensive linemen end up on the ground. That just seems over the top to me.

But again, it's not about specific animations, though the animations they have in the game are pretty poor which probably contributes to the poor line play. The broader point is that the front 4 does not generate anything that resembles a realistic pass rush in terms of affecting the offense's timing in the passing game.

As for the people saying that they can't pass in under 3 seconds, my reaction to that is that you either shouldn't be playing on the default difficulty or you should be the ones adjusting sliders. The default settings should not cater to people who self-identify as horrible passers. Further, if you were routinely forced to throw it quicker, you'd probably adjust eventually and get better at making good pre-snap reads and learning how to quickly progress through your reads.

Sliders do not apply for online play (ranked games or dynasty), and thus the default settings are important for head to head competition, which is supposed to be geared towards rewarding the better player. It doesn't do that when the settings are such that gameplay is not accurately represented in terms of certain things being too easy or hard relative to how real football is played.

I OU a Beatn
05-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Sliders do not apply for online play (ranked games or dynasty), and thus the default settings are important for head to head competition, which is supposed to be geared towards rewarding the better player. It doesn't do that when the settings are such that gameplay is not accurately represented in terms of certain things being too easy or hard relative to how real football is played.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

psusnoop
05-12-2011, 08:33 PM
The amount of gamers online in rooms are not looking for a sim game they are looking for W's and there lies the difference. Where as in an online dynasty you have players that want a great game without all the cheese and adjust the sliders to help in those areas.

Deuce
05-12-2011, 08:36 PM
This is a pointless discussion for me. I look at the game differently than most people. I choose to enjoy the game...I do every year. I figure if I'm paying $60 bucks are so then I better have fun. I use my imagination and try and justify most glitches, bugs, or cheats. If there is a play that works too well...I don't call it. Never called verticals last year b/c it was obviously money. All those little things that bug most people usually doesn't bother me.

rhombic21
05-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Sliders don't even apply for user v user online dynasty games, so even if your argument about ranked games were valid (and it isn't), there's still no excuse for having the pass rush be so ineffective on the default settings.

People playing online games who only care about Ws will maximize to whatever the game allows. If the game forced them to play more realistically, then they'd play more realistically and have the same amount of fun. But the rest of us would have more fun too. And just because people play ranked games doesn't mean they want arcade football with ineffective pass defense. There are more people who play ranked games but still want a "sim" experience than you realize.

Rudy
05-12-2011, 08:49 PM
As for the people saying that they can't pass in under 3 seconds, my reaction to that is that you either shouldn't be playing on the default difficulty or you should be the ones adjusting sliders. The default settings should not cater to people who self-identify as horrible passers. Further, if you were routinely forced to throw it quicker, you'd probably adjust eventually and get better at making good pre-snap reads and learning how to quickly progress through your reads.

I understand that online play has to play on default. I've never liked an EA football game on any default settings. The cpu run game is usually brutal and needs a lot of help on AA. That's usually the one area that needs the most work. I recognize the fact that I may have to adjust sliders offline but I'm OK with that as an offline player.

I do get annoyed when people tell me that I should suck it up, practice and get better. I've been playing football games for years. I'm not going to get much better. End of discussion. I have the same annoying argument about the pitch speed in MLB The Show. It's too fast and the slider doesn't work well. I get frustrated and I've given up on that game because of it. I'd rather play MLB 2K11 and not be so frustrated.

Absolutely that is the great thing about a game with sliders, you can adjust things to ones liking. What you may like as far as pressure and time to release the ball may and probably will be different from me or anyone else for that matter. Doesn't mean you or me are wrong, just different in things we enjoy out of the game. Which is why appeasing one set of people may upset the cart for others which makes EA's job all that much more difficult to balance.

Totally agree which is why I love sliders and why I'm pushing for a separate man vs. zone coverage slider which should be very easy to implement.

psusnoop
05-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Sliders don't even apply for user v user online dynasty games, so even if your argument about ranked games were valid (and it isn't), there's still no excuse for having the pass rush be so ineffective on the default settings.

People playing online games who only care about Ws will maximize to whatever the game allows. If the game forced them to play more realistically, then they'd play more realistically and have the same amount of fun. But the rest of us would have more fun too. And just because people play ranked games doesn't mean they want arcade football with ineffective pass defense. There are more people who play ranked games but still want a "sim" experience than you realize.

I'll agree with that.

But I also know that deep down there really isn't anything that will be perfect. If it isn't the zone coverage, it will be the pass rush, if not that it will move onto something else. Sometimes we just need to look for solutions to problems and continue to grow the game instead of being a negative nancy all the time.

Deuce said it well, sometimes you just have to enjoy what we have and if that doesn't do it then maybe the game and series just isn't cut out for you. Always complaining about things just isn't the answer.

JeffHCross
05-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Where you play exclusively Online, Online Dynasty, or Offline, I think we can all agree that the default settings should provide a good game that is neither over the top nor unsatisfying. Then you can tweak from there to match your personal preference.

I OU a Beatn
05-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Where you play exclusively Online, Online Dynasty, or Offline, I think we can all agree that the default settings should provide a good game that is neither over the top nor unsatisfying. Then you can tweak from there to match your personal preference.

Agree completely. NCAA '04 had that and that was pretty well the last game that did - online anyway.

JeffHCross
05-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Agree completely. NCAA '04 had that and that was pretty well the last game that did - online anyway.Well, and that's a good example of how hard it is for even our "hardcore" community to agree. I know I loved NCAA 04, but I also know some people that passionately disagree with the idea that 04 was good.

Dr Death
05-12-2011, 10:05 PM
They still have the fat # 1's on :Missouri: I've posted this on OS and I don't understand how they can have the number font's wrong. :Nebraska: is the same way. When you guys go back down there this month, can you ask them about this???

I OU a Beatn
05-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Well, and that's a good example of how hard it is for even our "hardcore" community to agree. I know I loved NCAA 04, but I also know some people that passionately disagree with the idea that 04 was good.

I don't see how. That game was as close to being perfectly balanced as any other they've released and there's not an even remotely close second. But yeah, I know you're one. There's always going to be someone who loves it and someone who hates it.

xMrHitStickx904
05-12-2011, 10:18 PM
NCAA '04 was just a great game. Geared toward the offense slightly, but defensive struggles could happen as well. The crowd >>>>

I OU a Beatn
05-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Defensive struggles happened if you knew how to play defense. I vaguely remember rhombic shutting me out 14-0 in an online game in '04. I've never quite gotten over that game as it remains the only time I've ever been shut out. :D

But, that's why I think it was the most balanced. If you had a dominant set of offensive plays and knew the flaws with the defense, you could put up 50. However, if you knew how to play defense and was a good user tackler and good at manual coverage, you could completely shut people down. The difference being that there was genuine pressure in that game. If you dialed up a blitz at the right time, you'd get almost instant pressure and you could really cause a lot of confusion for your opponent.

Now, you blitz, your opponent sits in the pocket for 8 seconds, and then fires a dime to a wide open receiver who broke off his route.

rhombic21
05-13-2011, 12:43 AM
The NCAA '04 talk is not accurate. First, zone coverage basically didn't work, and passing was really pretty easy. I pretty routinely completed over 80% of my passes, and had some games where I went something like 23 of 24. It was also possible to set up 4 and 5 play offenses that were virtually unstoppable. You could come out in the same formation and just audible at the line depending on what the defense came out in.

I also developed an option offense (from wishbone) that was essentially unstoppable.

Also, '04 was before you could do hot routes on defense and was before you could switch the direction of running plays. So they had a whole bunch of formations where you essentially couldn't run to the weakside because there were no running plays that went to that side.

'04 is remembered as a great game because it was the first time people could play online, and a lot of the basic mechanics of online play worked pretty well. But most people started out playing that game without much experience playing user v user. That was also before the days of youtube and video capture, so there wasn't anywhere near as much sophistication by people breaking down gamefilm to understand what was working and why. There was also a whole lot less Xs and Os coverage in mainstream media, so a lot of people didn't have much of a grasp about how football worked in real life.

If '04 came out today, it would be remembered the same way that NCAA '09 is -- "wide open gameplay, with absolutely no defense."

None of the PS2 games were any better balanced for offense and defense than NCAA 10-11 were.

I OU a Beatn
05-13-2011, 12:56 AM
I don't know. I distinctly remember starting fresh a few months before '05 came out and I was giving up less than 200 yards and under 14 points a game. Of course, I was running a bullshit defense, but nonetheless, it was definitely possible to stop people. I do remember zone defense being pretty bad, but when you had plays like a manually setup Dime Dog Gold, you don't even have to run zone defense.

I still stand by it as the most balanced between offense and defense. Every year since then has usually been completely one sided. I doubt we'll ever see a perfectly balanced game because EA obviously wants the game to appeal to casual players, and by incorporating that kind of balance, it would be alienating them which is something EA...unfortunately...is not going to do.

xMrHitStickx904
05-13-2011, 01:14 AM
The most polished NCAA PS2 game IMO was 07. It's also my favorite of all NCAA games.

I OU a Beatn
05-13-2011, 01:26 AM
The PS2 games were so long ago that I think they mesh together in my mind. I know I played the living hell out of '04-'07 on PS2, but I couldn't tell you a single thing about them with any certainty. :D

I'm going to have to rent all these games again and play them to see if I still like them now. Chances are that I'll find the same issues that bug me now, just like rhombic said.

Jayrah
05-13-2011, 03:06 AM
I'll agree with that.

But I also know that deep down there really isn't anything that will be perfect. If it isn't the zone coverage, it will be the pass rush, if not that it will move onto something else. Sometimes we just need to look for solutions to problems and continue to grow the game instead of being a negative nancy all the time.

Deuce said it well, sometimes you just have to enjoy what we have and if that doesn't do it then maybe the game and series just isn't cut out for you. Always complaining about things just isn't the answer.

Well that's exactly it. It's not real live football, so there will always be an issue with something or other. There's going to be some things that aren't perfect. If it's the pass rush, then it's the pass rush, if it's an animation, it's an animation, if it's special teams.... I understand the sentiment to want to play real football, with real players that think for themselves and interact in a completely realistic way, because we would all want that, but it's just not going to happen. I'm gonna pick it up and play it all year long though :), I can tell you that! My suggestion: f the lack of a rush ruins your experience...plan on bumping up the sliders or don't buy it because it cannot leave you unsatisfied this way.

gschwendt
05-13-2011, 08:39 AM
About the gameplay videos at 1/4th speed... I tried to combined the two gameplay segments into one video and had it edited down to 15:59 which SHOULD be allowed by Youtube. Apparently though when they finished processing it, they decided it was over the time limit so the 1/4th speed version is not available. However if you want to see only the gameplay moments, here is the same video playing at normal speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV6-HY91pfU

oweb26
05-13-2011, 09:13 AM
The NCAA '04 talk is not accurate. First, zone coverage basically didn't work, and passing was really pretty easy. I pretty routinely completed over 80% of my passes, and had some games where I went something like 23 of 24. It was also possible to set up 4 and 5 play offenses that were virtually unstoppable. You could come out in the same formation and just audible at the line depending on what the defense came out in.

I also developed an option offense (from wishbone) that was essentially unstoppable.

Also, '04 was before you could do hot routes on defense and was before you could switch the direction of running plays. So they had a whole bunch of formations where you essentially couldn't run to the weakside because there were no running plays that went to that side.

'04 is remembered as a great game because it was the first time people could play online, and a lot of the basic mechanics of online play worked pretty well. But most people started out playing that game without much experience playing user v user. That was also before the days of youtube and video capture, so there wasn't anywhere near as much sophistication by people breaking down gamefilm to understand what was working and why. There was also a whole lot less Xs and Os coverage in mainstream media, so a lot of people didn't have much of a grasp about how football worked in real life.

If '04 came out today, it would be remembered the same way that NCAA '09 is -- "wide open gameplay, with absolutely no defense."

None of the PS2 games were any better balanced for offense and defense than NCAA 10-11 were.

I totally agree with this, I'm glad I am not the only one who see '04 in that same light. I agree the game really hasnt taken that many drastic strides, which is why I dumbfounded that people get so passonately upset about the game in the first place. I think if something keeps letting me down for almost 10 years I wouldnt be buying it anymore or even commenting on it anymore there really is no point but maybe I am too rational. With that I do feel sorry for you online only guys, I stopped playing online back in 06 so in my eyes you have been getting jaded for years now online really made my blood pressure rise too much which is why OD was such a god send. lol

PS. None of my comments where directed at rhombic he is actually one of the few people who post constructive criticism before he rants, not the other way around or leave the constructive part out all together.

Deuce
05-13-2011, 10:10 AM
I think why I'm still so fond of 04 was the way the CPU played. ..or maybe it was just a larger variation between good and bad players??? I am an offline player only and I always start off with a cupcake roster. I remember getting beaten badly during the first season in 04...I would go into games against a great team just hoping to keep it close. It took 3 to 4 years to get to the top. NCAA11 was the first iteration since then that I've struggled in my first season. I think I went 5-6 in my first season last year. 04 had its bugs and so does 11..and so will 12, 13, 14,15,...

Didn't 04 have the corner routes that were money and/or the HB direct? My memory sucks so I'm not sure.

rhombic21
05-13-2011, 10:13 AM
The most polished NCAA PS2 game IMO was 07. It's also my favorite of all NCAA games.

NCAA '07 on PS2 is definitely the version that I played the most. The year after that I switched to the 360 version of the game, and it hasn't been until NCAA '10 that those games were really even playable.

oweb26
05-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Didn't 04 have the corner routes that were money and/or the HB direct? My memory sucks so I'm not sure.

I think it had the corner routes but I know 06 HB direct was absolutely golden. You had to come out in something crazy like a punt formation to stop it. Like you though my memory sucks and then they all have merged in my memory.

Jayrah
05-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Question for cd guys that I haven't seen asked anywhere yet:

Did any of you try the different speed settings yet? Ben says in the 3rd part video that there are 3 different settings for speed.

gschwendt
05-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Question for cd guys that I haven't seen asked anywhere yet:

Did any of you try the different speed settings yet? Ben says in the 3rd part video that there are 3 different settings for speed.
I didn't, but at the same time, those speed settings are also available in NCAA11. That said, I thought the Normal setting played about how I like it.

Jayrah
05-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Some things I notice while watching this gameplay only video:

1: The unusual sliding that we were worried about a couple videos ago with the defense is virtually gone. They slide, but realistically without covering and extra 2 yards.

2: Definite rollout penalty without setting your feet. (a) qb has to take time to square himself. (b) ball either floats or is wide on nearly every rollout pass. Seems like there may be a pocket bonus here, which I like to see. I would be interested in knowing what Mizzou's qb is rated on accuracy.

3: 1:36 of the video, right before the snap, the defense is moving around doing their thing, and then they all pop back to original position. This is a GLITCH. I don't like it! Not one bit. It looks terrible.

4: We were talking about the ball carrier covering too much ground a couple weeks ago or so. I do not see it here. Looks really good, but of course, have to get a really fast guy like Pryor to figure it out I guess.

5: And finally, my take on line play is that they could improve it in 2 parts and mostly in the passing game.

(a)simply by slowing down the O-line's ability in lateral movement. Watch the center at 1:40. He is a primary example of what I'm talking about here. Now there is much less (if any) suctioning, but the linemen move so fast laterally that they are still able to pick up most players. Now this is only when they decide to move.

(b)The realistic thing to implement here is a lineman that knows what he's doing before he does it AND cut down the ground they can cover with each slide step! Like for example most of the time in this game the O-linemen WAIT for the D-lineman to attack, THEN they ultra-quickly react accordingly based on where they should be for the play. This does not allow a true speed rush or inside shoulder attack by the defense at all. The O-line NEEDS to be moving to THEIR spot, and react from there. Perfect example of what I'm talking about here is at 1:47 with both the right AND left tackles. This is why I believe a true pocket has not yet been available in this generation. And good portion of the time the tackles just slide in front of the DE and block them from getting up the field at all, which creates even LESS pocket and is the very reason that there is 5-6 seconds to make a pass.

It is my belief that at least the ultra sliding linemen can be fixed NOW. RIGHT NOW! No animations or anything necessary! There's got to be a code that slows them down, a tweak somewhere. This would allow for at least a little of each problem to be addressed by the drop of Ncaa 12. My hope is that you guys that go to the community event here can at least help them to address this particular issue. I think it would make quite a few people happier here. ;)

steelerfan
05-13-2011, 01:45 PM
I didn't, but at the same time, those speed settings are also available in NCAA11. That said, I thought the Normal setting played about how I like it.

I tried to play a game on Slow with 9-minute quarters, which is what I do offline on 11. It felt about the same.

Cipher 8
05-15-2011, 03:07 AM
Damn i've been missing out on a lot of good coverage, this, gamespot's on the spot video, and the developer chat live stream... I need to keep up with the flow. Especially come May 23rd when they release the stuff about Online Dynasty.

Cipher 8
05-15-2011, 10:12 AM
The amount of gamers online in rooms are not looking for a sim game they are looking for W's and there lies the difference. Where as in an online dynasty you have players that want a great game without all the cheese and adjust the sliders to help in those areas.

I tend to agree with psusnoop here. Obviously not all online orientated players are cheap and only want a win at any cost but I would say the majority of them are. I haven't even played ranked matches the past few years because of this tendency. Even the majority of unranked matches I tried to play were like this. Then there the fact that the online in the game does lag or takes a tad bit longer to process a button press so your timing just isn't there. It really effects my ability to throw the ball, make a tackler miss, and user tackle a guy with the ball. When I go online I want a strong connection to my opponent with no lag or delay and I just want a good game, not necessarily sim stats and all that but not cheesy money plays and nano blitzes either.

With that I do feel sorry for you online only guys, I stopped playing online back in 06 so in my eyes you have been getting jaded for years now online really made my blood pressure rise too much which is why OD was such a god send. lolTotally agree. Stopped playing online because it wasn't worth the frustration. I still play vs my friends from time to time but I tend to stick to Online Dynasty and only with people I know because I know how they play and we all agree to how we want it to be. We're still very competitive and the recruiting competition take it to another level, nothing is more satisfying then getting the sought after RB to hard commit to you over another user controlled school.

Online Dynasty is just the shit! The best mode and the sole feature that keeps me coming back to buy the game year after year. In Online Dynasty your games have meaning, even if it is at it's core just for fun. I feel they have more meaning then a typical ranked game anyways. Building your school, keeping them a contender and ranked, winning bowl games, rivalry games, player and position awards for great seasons, and setting school records. It all goes into what makes Online Dynasty great and it's almost got that RPG level of progress to it that is just so addicting. Your making progress in your school's stats, your players are becoming better and then leaving so you gotta recruit new players and develop them. There's just more to it, more depth then just a win or a loss on a ranked online game.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2053/5712370298_3023491569_o.jpg This is going to come in handy big time. I still prefer to do everything on the game, besides writing the stories which hardly ever worked for me. I hated seeing "***********************************" as my title and under my screenshots I shared.

jaymo76
05-15-2011, 02:17 PM
NCAA '07 on PS2 is definitely the version that I played the most. The year after that I switched to the 360 version of the game, and it hasn't been until NCAA '10 that those games were really even playable.

If we're going there then I will say 06 on PS2 is MY PERSONAL BEST EVER NCAA! I played it more than any game I have ever owned and probably that will never be eclipsed. I played voer 16 seasons with 06 and played every single game. I still dream of NEXT GEN graphics and 06 features/gameplay.

Will 12 beat 06 for me this year? Probably not but I am looking forward to finding out. The other part of the equation I don't think last gen can ever be beaten by any game only becuase with new technology we raise the bar so, so much with regards to our expectations. The better the game can look, the better we all expect it should play/feel.

For me things like FCS, match-up stick, crowd metre, spring game, heisman show, etc are the features that put the game over the top. When you see them in previous versions you feel a little jaded and the perpetual cycle of "WHY?" begins. Now the feature set this year looks pretty decent thus far. It will be interesting to see how much cloaser we get to a last gen feel.