PDA

View Full Version : General College Sports Talk

JBHuskers
04-29-2011, 03:37 PM
From Bryan Fischer at CBS Sports:

Nebraska getting the boot from AAU is interesting b/c the university's chancellor Harvey Perlman is in charge of the NCAA's bowl task force

SmoothPancakes
04-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Wow. I didn't even know they were in danger of losing it. Shows how much attention I pay to Nebraska. :D

JeffHCross
04-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Nebraska getting the boot from AAU is interesting b/c the university's chancellor Harvey Perlman is in charge of the NCAA's bowl task forceSince the two (NCAA and AAU) are almost utterly unrelated, I fail to see how that's 'interesting'. Meh.

jaymo76
04-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Since the two (NCAA and AAU) are almost utterly unrelated, I fail to see how that's 'interesting'. Meh.

True, but what terrible media coverage as you are about to enter a new conference and this is your lead-in.

SmoothPancakes
04-30-2011, 02:19 PM
True, but what terrible media coverage as you are about to enter a new conference and this is your lead-in.

And that new conference is all AAU schools and had even stated that AAU membership was something they were looking at when considering new schools to bring into the conference. While Nebraska didn't get into the Big Ten alone based on their AAU status, so it didn't necessarily help them very much in regards to the whole picture of their school, it also didn't hurt their chances of the Big Ten accepting them.

ram29jackson
04-30-2011, 02:38 PM
someone in the big 12 was just mad and greased someones palm to do this. More NCAA corruption fodder

JeffHCross
04-30-2011, 02:42 PM
True, but what terrible media coverage as you are about to enter a new conference and this is your lead-in.Oh, absolutely. It's a blow to Nebraska, certainly, and potentially a blow to their academic acceptance by the rest of the conference. But I fail to see the connection made by the CBS reporter between the AAU and the NCAA bowl task force. Unless the theory is that Nebraska was dropped by the AAU because of what the bowl task force is doing -- but that doesn't even make sense.

The AAU has some very ... quirky ... criteria. And Nebraska's university structure puts them behind the 8-ball in terms of AAU membership. It's not the first time they've been at the bottom of the list.

JBHuskers
05-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Hopefully ESPN snags him up....

CBS and Gus Johnson have parted ways. http://bit.ly/mp3SqM

HWill
05-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Hopefully ESPN snags him up....

CBS and Gus Johnson have parted ways. http://bit.ly/mp3SqM

I'll hire him to do 24-hour running commentary on my life.

SmoothPancakes
05-28-2011, 04:11 PM
After a great afternoon of watching Tora! Tora! Tora!, I was all ready to watch Denver take on Virginia in the first semifinal game of the NCAA Men's Lacrosse Tournament. If only I knew this game was going to be so bad. :( Denver's completely letting me down, currently losing to Virginia 9-2 at halftime. Come on Pioneers! Pull it out of your asses! You're on a 12 game winning streak, you held off a tough Villanova team in the first round, and knocked off #3 Johns Hopkins in the quarterfinals. Surely you can beat Virginia! :smh:

SmoothPancakes
05-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Ugh. I think it's time to break out the bottle of whiskey, or some other hard liquor. :( A little over 6 minutes still to play in the 3rd quarter, and it's now 13-3 Virginia winning. I was really hoping I'd get to watch Denver in their first NCAA Championship game Monday afternoon.

psuexv
06-08-2011, 02:13 PM
http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2011/06/08/special-difference-makers-life-lessons-with-paterno-krzyzewski-to-air-june-30-on-espn-espnu/

Special Difference Makers: Life Lessons with Paterno & Krzyzewski to Air June 30 on ESPN & ESPNU

ESPN and ESPNU will provide a unique 90-minute program showcasing a candid and in-depth discussion with two of the most distinguished and legendary coaches in sports Thursday, June 30. Difference Makers: Life Lessons with Paterno & Krzyzewski will feature Penn State football coach Joe Paterno and Duke men’s basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski on one stage offering insight to the lessons they have learned throughout their lives and passed on to others. The show will air at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN and continue at 9 p.m. on ESPNU.

Hosted by ESPN college football and basketball studio and game host Rece Davis, the show will explore topics such as coaching, ethics, integrity, friendship, legacy, pressures and issues associated with intercollegiate athletics, working with student-athletes, and more. Also, the special will examine each coach's roots and the importance of family throughout their lives.

“These leaders have achieved an extraordinary level of success, but their biggest accomplishments are the lessons they have learned along the way and the passion they have for sharing those lessons with others,” said Dan Steir, ESPN senior coordinating producer. “Difference Makers will reveal the essence of both men and what motivates them to continue to impact those around them."

ESPN will shoot Difference Makers: Life Lessons with Paterno & Krzyzewski on Monday, June 20 in front of an invite-only audience at the Eisenhower Auditorium on the campus of Penn State. Penn State is distributing tickets to the event.

In addition to Paterno and Krzyzewski, the show will include thoughts from guests who have had personal experiences with each coach. Matt Millen and Michael Robinson, who played for Coach Paterno, and Jay Bilas and Jay Williams, who played for Coach Krzyzewski, are scheduled to appear.

The program will include the multiple-topic discussion with several questions from the audience at Penn State during the first hour on ESPN and audience member questions for the entire final 30 minutes on ESPNU.

Coach Paterno said, “I'm looking forward to working with Mike Krzyzewski and participating with students from Penn State and Duke, hopefully we can create something meaningful for others."

Coach Krzyzewski added, "Certainly, I am humbled to share the stage with one of the greatest coaches of all-time in any sport and at any level. I have ultimate respect for Coach Paterno and everything he's accomplished at Penn State. Beyond all the victories and accolades, he is a great leader and teacher. I look forward to spending time with him, and learning from him, at such a special event that involves students from both campuses."

Davis said, "I'm looking forward to the rare chance to have two of the most influential figures in sports share life lessons. The impact that Coach Paterno and Coach K have had on their players outside the competitive arena will be a major part of their legacies. I look forward to hearing how they have adapted to the times in terms of motivation, leadership and team-building. I'm honored to be part of what I'm certain will be a thought-provoking and entertaining discussion between two guys who define class, winning and integrity."

-30-

morsdraconis
06-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Wow, that sounds REALLY interesting. Will definitely have to make sure to watch that one.

ram29jackson
06-08-2011, 04:47 PM
I wonder if theyll ask Paterno why he recruits so many white wide receivers ?

ram29jackson
06-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Mr Paterno, would it be more appropriate to call your school "white Linebacker U" ?

JeffHCross
06-08-2011, 10:44 PM
The show will air at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN and continue at 9 p.m. on ESPNU.I completely understand that ESPN has other commitments that they must air ... but damn, that's horrible.

psuexv
06-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Mr Paterno, would it be more appropriate to call your school "white Linebacker U" ?

Really?????

Lavar Arrington
Brandon Short
Cameron Wake
Navaro Bowman
Derek Toyles
Andre Collins
Walker Lee Ashley
Reggie Givens

Do I need to keep going? How about this years starters - Khari Fortt and Gerald Hodges.

steelerfan
06-09-2011, 09:43 AM

Those are, without question, 2 of the Top 5 Most Insane/Ignorant Posts in the history of TGT.

You really have no clue whatsoever. :fp:

ram29jackson
06-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Really?????

Lavar Arrington
Brandon Short
Cameron Wake
Navaro Bowman
Derek Toyles
Andre Collins
Walker Lee Ashley
Reggie Givens

Do I need to keep going? How about this years starters - Khari Fortt and Gerald Hodges.

Joe has been around alot longer then just those guys and with 3 linebackers at a time in a backfield, your list is still small...that aside i am of course joking, but it is something to chew on for a bit haha

ram29jackson
06-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Those are, without question, 2 of the Top 5 Most Insane/Ignorant Posts in the history of TGT.

You really have no clue whatsoever. :fp:

haha I am partially kidding, but if you look at it..it appears Penn State gives minor punshments to its white players compared to harder punishments for its black players historically ..I dont really know, but the fact is Penn State will never get close to a number 1 ranking because they try really hard to get guys with character...Penn State has never had a defensive secondary with any closing speed...

steelerfan
06-09-2011, 05:49 PM
So are you saying that only African-American athletes have closing speed? Also, you're suggesting that African-American athletes have no character and PSU avoids them because of it.

Wow, that's racist.

ram29jackson
06-09-2011, 06:27 PM
So are you saying that only African-American athletes have closing speed? Also, you're suggesting that African-American athletes have no character and PSU avoids them because of it.

Wow, that's racist.

am I saying it? no haha. Am I saying Joe may think that way ? yes haha

look, he may not be racist , but he is an old Italian American from the old world who may have to watch his P's and Q's when he talks haha

dude, you do realize that in the early 60s when coaches started recruiting more black players they would tell the scouts to find some speed. That was code for find me a fast black guy. Its still true today, so by your estimation, the majority of scouts are racist...?

and to be intellectually honest , you arent African American unless born in Africa and you move to America.

I am a Penn State fan and like Joe Paterno but he still may have a mindset that comes from a different time and we are all guilty of that in one way or another.

white women bore me, does that make me racist towards them ?

SmoothPancakes
06-09-2011, 06:33 PM
The Illinois-Northwestern game is on Big Ten Network right now, just started. Nothing like watching the failure that was this game. Two teams on one sideline. Both offenses going in the same direction the entire game. A definite classic!

morsdraconis
06-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Cool. I'm watching it now since I never got a chance to see it when it happened (plus, it's somethin' to do until 8:30).

psuexv
06-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Joe has been around alot longer then just those guys and with 3 linebackers at a time in a backfield, your list is still small...that aside i am of course joking, but it is something to chew on for a bit haha

And this is a very small just with the names I could think of quickly.... didn't think I need to go back and search the roster for every linebacker

psusnoop
06-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Holy $hit I just caught this page, oh no I'm going to have fun with this today. I have to finish some stuff at work then it's me all over this thread like a monkey on a cupcake.

psusnoop
06-10-2011, 08:37 AM

Derrick Williams
Deon Butler
Curtis Drake
Justin Brown
Devon Smith
Brandon Mosely-Felder
Shawney Kersey

Christ I won't keep going anyone should get the idea of this.

Graham Zug (white)
and please please don't say Brett Bracket because that boy was recruited for QB then destined for TE but he was never able to retain weight enough to be an every down TE so they moved him to a hybrid TE/WR position.

Please tell me the over abundance of white WR's recruited at PSU?

psuexv
06-10-2011, 08:40 AM
You might want to throw Kenny Jackson, OJ McDuffie, Bobby Engram in there.... Yes, there was Joe Jurevious

psusnoop
06-10-2011, 08:42 AM

I'll just state this quickly.

If a school is traditionally well known for being Linebacker U, then what the heck does skin color matter?

psusnoop
06-10-2011, 08:43 AM
I have put work on hold for the time being while I try and soak this in for a bit.

psusnoop
06-10-2011, 08:45 AM
You might want to throw Kenny Jackson, OJ McDuffie, Bobby Engram in there.... Yes, there was Joe Jurevious

Who was a serviceable PRO WR for the a little bit, but once again what does the color of his skin matter?

psuexv
06-10-2011, 08:45 AM
dude, you do realize that in the early 60s when coaches started recruiting more black players they would tell the scouts to find some speed. That was code for find me a fast black guy. Its still true today, so by your estimation, the majority of scouts are racist...?

There was a lot of things that went down in the 60s that weren't right. It's a completely different time now. To call Joe out because he was coaching way back in a time that white athletes were regarded higher is truly ignorant. "hey Joe... you recruited more white players in the 60s... racist!"

psusnoop
06-10-2011, 08:58 AM
haha I am partially kidding, but if you look at it..it appears Penn State gives minor punshments to its white players compared to harder punishments for its black players historically ..I dont really know, but the fact is Penn State will never get close to a number 1 ranking because they try really hard to get guys with character...Penn State has never had a defensive secondary with any closing speed...

You seem to be talking out of the wrong end currently.

EZ Smith
Anothony Scirotto
Dan Conner
Joe Jurevicius
Tom McEowen
Tyler Reed
Andrew Richardson
Mickey Schuler

I'll stop at those off the top of my head on players that were suspended. There are more, but for the sake of this I will just post these and stop at that.

ram29jackson
06-10-2011, 04:21 PM
There was a lot of things that went down in the 60s that weren't right. It's a completely different time now. To call Joe out because he was coaching way back in a time that white athletes were regarded higher is truly ignorant. "hey Joe... you recruited more white players in the 60s... racist!"

how is deciding that most black players are faster and deciding to recruit them because of it a bad thing?

haha good job trying to break it down guys. Like I said, I'm kidding as far as calling anyone "racist"
But Joe may well have a bias because of the era he came up in and you giving a bunch of names of black players on the team doesnt disprove that.

anyway, heres some more food for thought that can be taken as pro or con depending on factors and even as tabloidish crap
which Bleacher Report is for the most part haha

12 problem players- notice how the white players get a slap on the wrist compared to black players
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/716243-penn-state-football-12-problem-players-of-joepas-career#/articles/716243-penn-state-football-12-problem-players-of-joepas-career

heres actually a more realistic viewpoint

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/stephen_cannella/11/04/the.rant/index.html

heres an interesting one- football and crime- Penn State ranked 4th, but they dont specify what type of infractions or broken laws they were...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/the_bonus/02/27/cfb.crime/index.html?eref=sihp&utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral

morsdraconis
06-10-2011, 04:42 PM
And WVU is cancer free once again. Thank god for smart ADs.

psusnoop
06-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Ram, while it may very well not disprove that Joe doesn't have a bias it certainly is better then saying hey your old your more biased to white kids. That is just crazy talk.

ram29jackson
06-12-2011, 02:30 AM
Ram, while it may very well not disprove that Joe doesn't have a bias it certainly is better then saying hey your old your more biased to white kids. That is just crazy talk.

hey haha, I want it understood that i'm just having a little fun while at the same time touching on the minor psychology of people.
I dont want steelerfan thinking i'm trying to provoke some racist card junk haha

I do think the ranking of 4th for Penn State is odd for law infractions but they dont say what all are either.

Joe is older and things may come out his mouth that he would probably be conscious not to say if he were younger and he has always been a cranky Italian haha.

like when my grandmother on my moms side said about me while I was right there in the room with everyone.." too bad he isnt as smart as his dad"....you just look, laugh, and think "ok grandma, whatever," haha

psusnoop
06-13-2011, 08:20 AM
hey haha, I want it understood that i'm just having a little fun while at the same time touching on the minor psychology of people.
I dont want steelerfan thinking i'm trying to provoke some racist card junk haha

You certainly are not helping your case when you trying to say that someone like JoePa "could" be racist because he is old.

There comes a point where you just got to stop because you losing to much ground. This is it.

As for PSU many of those law infractions were for misdemeanors and some just thrown out entirely. Still PSU has had to many in these last 10 years and I hope that things can clear up and kids shape up.

JBHuskers
06-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Ooooh boy :D

From ESPN's Joe Schad:

Terrelle Pryor has chosen Drew Rosenhaus as his agent

psusnoop
06-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Ooooh boy :D

From ESPN's Joe Schad:

Terrelle Pryor has chosen Drew Rosenhaus as his agent

The only thing that would make me happy is to see Ray Lewis light his a$$ up :D

ram29jackson
06-13-2011, 05:04 PM
You certainly are not helping your case when you trying to say that someone like JoePa "could" be racist because he is old.

There comes a point where you just got to stop because you losing to much ground. This is it.

As for PSU many of those law infractions were for misdemeanors and some just thrown out entirely. Still PSU has had to many in these last 10 years and I hope that things can clear up and kids shape up.

haha oh for Christ sake haha. for some reason, when people read stuff on a forum they seem to need to take it more seriously than regular conversation...?
:)PSUsnoop I'm approaching this as though i'm just talking to friends and joking with them and just seeing where the idea or joke goes like your sitting with friends having a couple beers.I'm not losing any ground. And also, no, I did not say anything about JOPA being racist because he's old. I said he is old and needs to watch what he says.

heres some fun vids of Jopa at practice and players mimicing him
practice 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp0H62QrWSs

players and his son talk about Jopas crankiness haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYsr2xtgFI8

psusnoop
06-13-2011, 05:34 PM
am I saying it? no haha. Am I saying Joe may think that way ? yes haha

look, he may not be racist , but he is an old Italian American from the old world who may have to watch his P's and Q's when he talks haha

and to be intellectually honest , you arent African American unless born in Africa and you move to America.

I am a Penn State fan and like Joe Paterno but he still may have a mindset that comes from a different time and we are all guilty of that in one way or another.
white women bore me, does that make me racist towards them ?

I know you were just joking but this is what I was saying may have been to much. I'm all for good fun and conversation but putting that label on someone is a might big label.

psuexv
06-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Honestly not a big fan of his coaching but must say it's a article I completely agree with

Jay Paterno: Pay Student-Athletes? They're Already Getting a Great Deal

At the last meeting of Big Ten coaches, athletic directors and administrators, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney threw out an idea that has been tossed around the NCAA for decades: paying college athletes. In light of the recent situations involving players at numerous schools selling personal memorabilia, some have advocated paying the players as a way to avoid such problems in the future.

The idea is that paying an athlete's "cost of attendance" – in some cases up to $10,000 on top of their scholarship – would be fair since big-time football and basketball players generate so much money for their schools.

Let me start the argument by making a proposal to parents and students alike. I am going to ask you to work no more than 20 hours a week for 21 weeks – with at least one mandatory day off every week. For another 23 weeks you'll work no more than eight hours a week. You'll get eight weeks off. (These are all NCAA-mandated time limits).

You will receive fall, spring and both summer sessions of education, plus room, board and all fees paid. For the 604 hours you put in, you'll get an education valued at $33,976 in state and $50,286 out of state (using last year's numbers from Penn State, the latest available). Keep in mind that number does not include several hundred dollars per semester for books and supplies, which are covered under the NCAA scholarship.

At those rates, the student-athlete on full scholarship to Penn State will earn $56.25 per hour if he is an in-state student and $83.25 per hour if he is an out-of-state student.

As a bonus, this full scholarship allows you access to tutors and computer labs and player lounges – all free to you, the student-athlete. Any medical costs incurred beyond your insurance are covered. You can be flown home at the school's expense for funerals or family emergencies. There can be bowl gifts of several hundred dollars as well.

If you and your family have financial difficulties, this scholarship also allows you to receive any Pell Grant money you are qualified for up to the federal maximum of $5,550 per year. There's also a needy student fund allowing for several hundred dollars a year to buy clothes.

When it comes right down to it, this pay package looks pretty good to most of America. An opportunity to attend some of the top universities in the country and graduate with no student loans to pay off looks good when you consider the average college student in this country starts off with $24,000 in debt the day they graduate.

We haven't even begun to discuss the hundreds of thousands of extra earnings you can realize over your lifetime with a college degree that you wouldn't make without one.

Lest we forget, the "job" you'll have is playing football or basketball – a sport you love. If you have the ability and the drive, you will have a chance to play professionally after graduation at a starting salary better than anyone else in your graduating class.

But forget the NFL or NBA for a moment. If I offered that deal to every parent in this country, how many would grumble and say that it isn't enough? But no one discusses this side of the argument. Even members of the media will say this whole thing isn't really about education.

There is the rub. There is the problem. No one sells the student-athletes on the idea that they are getting paid more than $80 an hour for a part-time job. No one tells the student-athlete to go talk to other students on campus who work 30 or 40 hours some weeks and will still owe tens of thousands of dollars when they graduate.

It is all about perspective. The reality is that a few hundred more dollars or even a few thousand dollars to help cover the cost of attendance isn't going to erase the cheating that goes on. The cheating that's going on is for a lot more money than the cost of attendance.

The problem is what society sells to big-time athletes and their families. Society sells lights, camera, the NFL or NBA. Those are sexy products. What isn't being sold is education, studying and a chance to enrich the mind and get rich in the classroom.

While I applaud the idea of evaluating what we can do to help student-athletes, the truth is that the package they are getting is a strong pay structure. Schools, athletes and their families need to be reminded of what they are getting and how they can get the full value of the pay package they're receiving.

If a student-athlete demands the educational opportunity he is entitled to for his work on the field or the court, then he has received the most valuable pay he could get. Ultimately they control how much value they get from the university.

If they fail to see it, they should walk through campus and ask around to see how many other students would gladly take the deal that the full-scholarship student-athlete is getting.

psusnoop
06-23-2011, 07:03 AM
http://simg.sportsbybrooks.com/0/1/0194702f541ad1c5cc9000b44e2896a9_aub1.jpg

and now this one

http://simg.sportsbybrooks.com/2/2/2209d0d41719d0a697d1990344aa9227_colts2.jpg

ram29jackson
06-23-2011, 03:22 PM
the National champs trophy doesnt look like the Lombardi though....

ram29jackson
06-23-2011, 03:23 PM
I wonder how much an Auburn player can sell the ring for ?

psusnoop
06-23-2011, 04:03 PM
the National champs trophy doesnt look like the Lombardi though....

Exactly why I posted them, what a complete fail.

ram29jackson
06-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Exactly why I posted them, what a complete fail.

...are you sure thats not an internet joke/fake picture ? the trophy is the same in both- reflection-angle-color

psuexv
06-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Big fan of Coach K, classy guy. Walks in and shakes the receptionist hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiOFWm8xOwU&feature=share

NatureBoy
06-25-2011, 09:19 AM
:South_Carolina::South_Carolina::South_Carolina::S outh_Carolina::South_Carolina::South_Carolina::Sou th_Carolina::South_Carolina::South_Carolina:

South Carolina reaches the CWS Finals once again. The Gamecocks have now won a record 14 straight NCAA tournament games. Two more wins and it will be back to back National Championships! WOO-HOO!

psusnoop
06-26-2011, 07:02 PM
...are you sure thats not an internet joke/fake picture ? the trophy is the same in both- reflection-angle-color

No I'm not positive I was hoping someone here may be able to shed some light on it.

psusnoop
06-26-2011, 07:03 PM
:South_Carolina::South_Carolina::South_Carolina::S outh_Carolina::South_Carolina::South_Carolina::Sou th_Carolina::South_Carolina::South_Carolina:

South Carolina reaches the CWS Finals once again. The Gamecocks have now won a record 14 straight NCAA tournament games. Two more wins and it will be back to back National Championships! WOO-HOO!

They are playing some good ball, watched a couple parts of a couple of games and they looked good. Congrats to gamecock fans :D

JBHuskers
06-26-2011, 07:33 PM
....and last year was their first sports title in anything right? :South_Carolina:

NatureBoy
06-26-2011, 08:10 PM
....and last year was their first sports title in anything right? :South_Carolina:Yep, it was the first National Title for men's sports. The Lady Gamecocks won a National Championship in track a few years ago. I would love to see the baseball team win it all again.

;) I'm still hoping Spurrier gets us a National Title in football before it's all said and done. When I dream, I dream big. lol

psusnoop
06-26-2011, 08:15 PM
I think with Lattimore at HB you have a huge piece of the puzzle. What is Garcia's status right now and in the future?

NatureBoy
06-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I think with Lattimore at HB you have a huge piece of the puzzle. What is Garcia's status right now and in the future?He is practicing with the team and unless he screw up again, he will be the starter in the fall.

NatureBoy
06-28-2011, 10:58 PM
:South_Carolina::South_Carolina::South_Carolina::S outh_Carolina:

Back 2 Back National Champions!!!!!!!

steelerfan
06-29-2011, 04:30 AM
:South_Carolina::South_Carolina::South_Carolina::S outh_Carolina:

Back 2 Back National Champions!!!!!!!

Congrats, NatureBoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

texacotea
06-29-2011, 06:18 AM
Man it feels good, this team was so fun to watch this yr. Seems like the didnt care and was truly having fun throughout the whole thing.

Tourny MVP Scott Wingo and "THE BELT"
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1017/F807077.JPG

JBHuskers
06-29-2011, 09:56 AM
I guess you can call these guys Planking Cocks? LOL - http://twitpic.com/5imfi5

gschwendt
06-29-2011, 11:43 AM
I guess you can call these guys Planking Cocks? LOL - http://twitpic.com/5imfi5
Was the guy at E3 the one to start planking or did it start before that?

psuexv
06-29-2011, 12:04 PM

I might try and pull it off in my office. Probably hurt myself :smh:

psuexv
06-29-2011, 12:07 PM
PSU runningback pulling one off in the computer lab

http://twitpic.com/5i50oq

morsdraconis
06-29-2011, 12:10 PM

Way before that. It was something that some crazy Europeans started doing and then it just caught fire on the internet.

SmoothPancakes
06-29-2011, 12:46 PM
In the pre-internet ages, they would be referred to in official status as the village idiot, be told they were special kids, and be called the village retards in taverns and other places. It's amazing that stuff that used to get you labeled as "stupid as shit" and retarded back in the day, now is normal because the retards of the world are able to unite and make it go viral and become "popular". :fp:

NatureBoy
06-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Congrats, NatureBoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk Thanks! It still hasn't sunk in yet. This team is amazing.

ram29jackson
06-29-2011, 07:50 PM
whats planking ? whats the point ?

SmoothPancakes
06-29-2011, 08:23 PM
whats planking ? whats the point ?

Looking like a douchebag but yet thinking you look cool?

morsdraconis
06-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Looking like a douchebag but yet thinking you look cool?

Definitely that.

psusnoop
06-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Way before that. It was something that some crazy Europeans started doing and then it just caught fire on the internet.

For some reason I thought it started in Australia but regardless I'm with Mors and Smooth on this being retarded :D:D

morsdraconis
06-30-2011, 10:22 AM
For some reason I thought it started in Australia but regardless I'm with Mors and Smooth on this being retarded :D:D

You know what, I think you're right and I was mistaken. Now that you mention it, I remember it starting in Australia as well.

texacotea
06-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Twitpic that Dwight Howard posted of Vince Carter "planking"
http://nbcprobasketballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/vince-carter-planking1.jpg?w=320
i know college sports, but its planking.

ram29jackson
07-01-2011, 08:33 PM
:)thats wonderful but it still doesnt explain anything...whats the deal with planking ?

SmoothPancakes
08-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Ohio State may have played their way to a #1 seed in this year's NCAA tournament. But under new rules regarding the APR structure, Ohio State may have missed the tournament altogether due to falling 1 point short of the new 930 APR requirement on the 2010 APR score report.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6853878/ncaa-committee-approves-increase-apr-cutline

Increase in APR cutline approved

University presidents and athletic administrators promised swift and serious action following its two-day NCAA retreat.

On Thursday, it delivered its first hammer.

Following up on the retreat's mandate to toughen academic standards, the NCAA Board of Directors voted to ban Division I teams with a four-year academic progress rate (APR) below 930 from participating in the postseason, including all NCAA tournaments and football bowl games.

It's a significant change from the APR structure now in place. Currently, teams with a four-year APR of 925 or below face penalties like loss of scholarships. Only if a team falls below a 900 and is therefore considered a chronic under-performer will it face 'historical penalties' including postseason bans.

Now the NCAA will do away with the 900 cutoff, forcing all teams to raise their academic standards or sit on the sidelines in the postseason. Under the new standards, 12 teams would not have qualified for this year's NCAA tournament, including Ohio State and Syracuse.

"A 930 equates to a 50 percent graduation rate and that is the stake in the ground that the presidents wish to put in as an overall goal for every team in Division I," said Dr. Walt Harrison, president of the University of Hartford who serves as the chair of the Division I committee on academic performance. "It's a clear marker. We believe a 50 percent graduation rate is a reasonable goal for all teams."

The final kinks still need to be worked out, but NCAA president Mark Emmert said he expects a formalized plan to be in place by October. Between now and then Harrison and his committee will look at the particulars, including a timetable for implementing the new structure. Because it is a considerable leap, Harrison said there likely will be a three- to five-year phase-in period, allowing schools to 'ratchet up' their academics.

Also under discussion is just when the new numbers would be released. Currently, the NCAA releases its annual APR report in May -- a month after the NCAA tournament ends.

Connecticut, with an APR of 930 in May 2010, was eligible to compete and win a national championship. But as of May 2011, the Huskies' APR dropped to 893. If the new Mendoza line was in place, UConn would not be able to defend its title.

But Harrison said that the different academic calendars -- some schools use quarters while others go by semesters -- would make it difficult to have more than one report released.

"As things currently stand, (the spring scores) would determine the next year's postseason eligibility," Harrison said.

One thing that does seem likely to change is the appeal process.

As in there won't be one.

Currently, teams that fall below a 900 can receive a waiver rather than postseason ban in extenuating circumstances -- if, for example, the school has shown marked improvement or the president has shown active involvement in improving his struggling team's academic performance.

"I don't think there will be too much leverage there," Harrison said. "If there is any appeal, I think it will be pretty tightly defined and there might not be any."

U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan had previously called for the NCAA to ban basketball teams with graduation rates below 40 percent from competing in the NCAA tournament. He issued a statement approving of the changes.

"I applaud the NCAA's decision and encourage them to proceed with due speed," Duncan said. "When we joined this conversation two years ago, many experts were skeptical that the NCAA would ever move to deal with the the problem of low graduation rates among a small minority of tournament teams. But they were wrong. College presidents have acted courageously and are leading the way."

NCAA statistics show athletes graduate at a higher rate that non-athletes and academic performance has steadily improved among all sports The most recent numbers, released in May, showed the overall average score for athletes jumped three points to 970. Two of the lower scoring sports -- baseball (959) and men's basketball (945) -- had a five-point jump over the previous year. Another low-scoring sport, football (946), had a two-point jump.

The rule change will likely go down like a dose of castor oil in college hoops circles. Since it was implemented, the APR long has been a sticking point among college basketball coaches who argue it punishes teams unfairly when players leave early for the NBA.

Two years ago, Syracuse lost two scholarships after Eric Devendorf, Jonny Flynn and Paul Harris opted to leave for the NBA without completing their spring coursework.

"It's flawed," Jim Boeheim said at the time about the APR system. "There is absolutely nothing a coach can do if a kid wants to leave and train for the NBA. If he was leaving and walking the streets, I'd understand. When those kids left, they were eligible. They opted not to finish."

But academic administrators and NCAA officials don't want to hear it. They counter that the APR allows for a student to leave early provided he or she leaves in good academic standing.

And more, they believe that the APR goes to the core of what the NCAA is about.

"This is about making sure student-athletes are students," Emmert said. "There is an expectation that they behave accordingly."

The list of penalized teams has skewed disproportionately toward historically black colleges and universities.

This year, the NCAA graded 340 schools. Twenty-four, or about 7 percent, were HBCUs. Yet of the 58 harshest penalties handed out, half went to teams in the two conferences, the Southwestern Athletic and the Mid-Eastern Athletic, comprised entirely of HBCUs. Four teams in those leagues were banned from NCAA tourneys because of their poor academic performance, and football teams at Southern and Jackson State were even banned from playing in the SWAC title game.

If the new rules were in place last year, Alcorn State would have been the only school in the SWAC eligible for the postseason.

Now, everybody is expected to hit an even higher mark to remain eligible for postseason tourneys.

"From a SWAC standpoint, we have to look at what we're doing and definitely get our house in order. But I think our chancellors are working hard to get that done," commissioner Duer Sharp said. "The NCAA realizes not everyone has the same resources and they've been receptive to our challenges."

Some coaches think it's the right move, though.

"I think it's everybody's responsibility to go to school and get an education," Alabama football coach Nick Saban said. "That's part of our program here. I don't really see it being a big issue that players are held accountable relative to what their responsibility is to get an education."

In other action Thursday, the board:

• agreed to do away with the single-year APR scores and will only use the four-year rolling average to determine postseason eligibility;

• agreed to continue providing funding for low-resource schools to help the academic performance of athletes and look at new ways to help those schools;

• decided to take another look at improving the standards for incoming freshmen and junior college transfers in October;

• agreed to consider including family members among the definition of third-party influences, a definition that also includes agents.

• decided not to permit conference or school television networks to broadcast any high school programming, a definition Emmert said will extend beyond athletic contests.

Information from ESPN's Tom Farrey and The Associated Press was used in this report.

NCAA: Raise Your Grades, Or Else

The NCAA ruled Thursday to ban teams with a four-year APR below 930 from participating in the postseason. The following teams would have missed the 2011 men's basketball NCAA tournament under the new rules with these APR scores, released in May 2010.

Team|APR
Alabama State|907
Kansas State|924
Morehead State|906
Ohio State|929
Purdue|919
San Diego State|921
St. Peter's|928
Syracuse|912
UAB|825
UC Santa Barbara|902
USC|924
UT San Antonio|885

morsdraconis
08-11-2011, 10:37 PM
:dunno:

Fuck 'em. Fix your fuckin' grades and stop only getting kids that are either failures or go straight to the NBA. Yes, we all know this "Student Athlete" shit, is just that, shit, but, at the same time, you gotta keep up with the facade.

God, I hope the NBA stops letting kids transfer after one season in the NCAA ranks. It's really lame.

SmoothPancakes
08-11-2011, 10:45 PM
:dunno:

Fuck 'em. Fix your fuckin' grades and stop only getting kids that are either failures or go straight to the NBA. Yes, we all know this "Student Athlete" shit, is just that, shit, but, at the same time, you gotta keep up with the facade.

God, I hope the NBA stops letting kids transfer after one season in the NCAA ranks. It's really lame.

I agree completely. Seeing that teams like Ohio State, Syracuse, Kansas State, Purdue, USC, etc would have been banned from participating in this year's NCAA tournament if these rules had been in place already, I could see that being a boot up the ass of some schools. And agreed with the NBA. They need to stop that stupid 1 year and done shit and go the route of the NFL. You have to be out of HS at least three years before you can enter the draft.

baseballplyrmvp
08-11-2011, 10:58 PM
I agree completely. Seeing that teams like Ohio State, Syracuse, Kansas State, Purdue, USC, etc would have been banned from participating in this year's NCAA tournament if these rules had been in place already, I could see that being a boot up the ass of some schools. And agreed with the NBA. They need to stop that stupid 1 year and done shit and go the route of the NFL. You have to be out of HS at least three years before you can enter the draft.

is that a typo? UAB had 825?

SmoothPancakes
08-11-2011, 11:02 PM
is that a typo? UAB had 825?

Nope. I just looked. Their multi-year APR for basketball is in fact 825. Their 2008-2009 basketball APR was a pathetic 732, really slaughtering that multi-year APR ranking.

baseballplyrmvp
08-11-2011, 11:08 PM
kinda begs the question as to how they havent been penalized yet? :dunno:

JBHuskers
08-11-2011, 11:12 PM
What in the world do they do at UAB? Just chase gators?

SmoothPancakes
08-11-2011, 11:13 PM
kinda begs the question as to how they havent been penalized yet? :dunno:

My thoughts exactly.

The big thing, this is going to get confusing as to who would be banned from postseason play in each sport. Taking UAB as example. Their 2010 multi-year APR scores, they'd be banned from bowls in football due to a 887 APR, they'd be banned from the NCAA tournament in basketball due to their 825 APR, but they would qualify for the baseball postseason with a 958 APR. It's going to get confusing fast trying to go school by school to figure out who is banned and who isn't in each individual sport every year.

SmoothPancakes
08-14-2011, 12:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6856970/north-dakota-officials-prepared-change-fighting-sioux-nickname

While this issue has been going on for years now, I am still so sick of this fucking PC bullshit. :fp: The entire NCAA and their "brilliant" ideas can go fuck themselves.

baseballplyrmvp
08-14-2011, 04:19 PM
so the SEC doesnt want a&m?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6861385/sec-extend-invitation-texas-leaves-options-open

bdoughty
08-14-2011, 04:41 PM
I doubt they ever did. A&M is just butthurt that Texas got it's own network. Why would anyone want A&M? Football is usually the #1 reason a school is wanted and outside a few years they have been at the bottom of the Big 12 South. Texas Tech has owned them 11-5 since 1995 although they did lose the last two.

psusnoop
08-15-2011, 07:08 AM
I doubt they ever did. A&M is just butthurt that Texas got it's own network. Why would anyone want A&M? Football is usually the #1 reason a school is wanted and outside a few years they have been at the bottom of the Big 12 South. Texas Tech has owned them 11-5 since 1995 although they did lose the last two.

But they do have a Texas market that helps any conference out and that is a factor big time.

cdj
08-15-2011, 05:03 PM
But they do have a Texas market that helps any conference out and that is a factor big time.

When Nebraska bolted for the B1G last year, there was a lot of articles stating the SEC really wanted to get into Texas somehow. I still think A&M ends up there.

The regents gave the TAMU president the authority to investigate conference realignment this afternoon. He said he has been in contact with the SEC since 7/21. It's just a matter of time now as well as the SEC deciding who else to add and/or when to do so.

EDIT - Now there are reports from A&M sources saying the SEC is looking to expand to 16 teams. Hello, super-conferences!

psusnoop
08-15-2011, 06:17 PM
When Nebraska bolted for the B1G last year, there was a lot of articles stating the SEC really wanted to get into Texas somehow. I still think A&M ends up there.

The regents gave the TAMU president the authority to investigate conference realignment this afternoon. He said he has been in contact with the SEC since 7/21. It's just a matter of time now as well as the SEC deciding who else to add and/or when to do so.

EDIT - Now there are reports from A&M sources saying the SEC is looking to expand to 16 teams. Hello, super-conferences!

Yea I'm interested to see how fast super conferences take shape once the SEC moves on this.

I like yourself think Texas A&M not getting the support on Sunday was just SEC figuring out who else to invite with them.

SmoothPancakes
08-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Yea I'm interested to see how fast super conferences take shape once the SEC moves on this.

I like yourself think Texas A&M not getting the support on Sunday was just SEC figuring out who else to invite with them.

Yep, they're not going to make a move until they have at least one more team 100% on board to bring in at the same time as Texas A&M. They're not going to bring them in now, and set themselves up as only 13 teams next year, and then try and start searching for and try to get a 14th team to come and join them. They're going to have everything laid out, worked out, planned, and all the back door lawyer crap done and paperwork signed before official invitations are extended to anyone.

bdoughty
08-15-2011, 07:01 PM
This is where the Big 12 screwed up. They should have gone after TCU and Houston to replace Nebraska and Colorado. It also would have given them schools in the DFW and Houston markets.

SmoothPancakes
08-15-2011, 07:04 PM
This is where the Big 12 screwed up. They should have gone after TCU and Houston to replace Nebraska and Colorado. It also would have given them schools in the DFW and Houston markets.

At that point, they may as well just call themselves the Big Texas Conference. It already is since clearly Texas is running the show, and everyone else is just sucking on their teat. Sure, Oklahoma and others can make it sound like they're also running the show as well, but clearly everyone in the present day Big 12 is nothing but Texas' bitch when it comes to the shape and stability of the conference.

cdj
08-15-2011, 07:04 PM
I agree, bdoughty. If they don't make some moves (and very soon) they might find themselves losing more top programs (such as Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to Pac-12 or SEC) on the road to becoming a non-BCS conference or wiped out completely.

bdoughty
08-15-2011, 07:22 PM
OU is just sitting back and watching to see what happens. OU can pick and choose as they please. The teams that are shitting in their britches are Texas Tech and Baylor (in the South). I think Oklahoma State will follow OU wherever they go and with T Boone Pickens and his pocketbook they will look attractive to any conference.

cdj
08-15-2011, 07:48 PM
The entire remnants of the North division are probably scared to death as well. Mizzou probably thinks they have a B1G invite in their cards at some point down the line, but the rest may be screwed. Kansas may get a Big East invite (based upon bball alone), but Kansas State and especially Iowa State may be left in the cold (read: MAC).

bdoughty
08-15-2011, 08:01 PM
I doubt anyone would end up in the MAC. I would not wish that on anyone.

There is always the C-USA where Baylor and Tech would be a good fit, joining Rice, SMU and Houston

The MWC could add Kansas, KSU and possibly Iowa State. A couple good basketball teams in the conference already (UNLV, New Mexico) and the last thing the Big East needs is more basketball teams.

Missouri is still in talks with the SEC and B1G but could also end up in the MWC.

Tons of options that are making my head hurt processing them all. Thankfully NCAA 12 gives me the option to play out every scenario. :)

SmoothPancakes
08-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Yep, pretty much anyone left out in the cold from the Big 12 would have an invite to the MWC long before they'd ever go to the MAC. C-USA could have a shot at some the Texas schools like bdoughty said, but most likely anyone not going to the Pac-12, Big 10, or SEC, would be calling the MWC their new home.

JBHuskers
09-26-2011, 08:58 AM
A Kentucky farmer ... or a KY Farmer ;) carves a corn maze of Calipari.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/calipari.jpg

morsdraconis
09-26-2011, 11:57 AM
:smh:

JBHuskers
09-26-2011, 12:35 PM
I wonder if you make it through the maze, Calipari hands you a check.

psuexv
09-26-2011, 12:39 PM
That's crazy, if it's real that's some wicked talented man with a tractor.

JBHuskers
09-26-2011, 12:49 PM
That's crazy, if it's real that's some wicked talented man with a tractor.

Something tells me that's not the first time you've uttered that phrase :D

psuexv
09-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Something tells me that's not the first time you've uttered that phrase :D

What? LOL

SmoothPancakes
04-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Watching college lacrosse right now on ESPNU, #16 Denver is just exploding and destroying #3 Duke right now. It was 6-5 Denver at halftime, and Denver has scored 4 goals in a 5 minute period to take a 10-5 lead over Duke. If Duke doesn't do something to stop this run by the Pioneers, it's gonna get real ugly and Denver is going to blow them out.

baseballplyrmvp
05-06-2012, 12:24 PM
granted, its high school, but still sad.

umpire dies during hs softball game (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/softball-umpire-dies-heart-attack-during-texas-playoff-163138703.html).

JeffHCross
05-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Damn.

steelerfan
05-06-2012, 03:42 PM
"They didn't want to put him in a body bag". Lol. Dumb kid.

They shouldn't put that in the article. First, it makes no sense. Body bags are for messes. Some guy who had a heart attack is not a mess. Second, a paramedic cannot pronounce some one dead in Texas. It has to be a doctor, medical examiner, or Justice of the Peace. Third, to put something like that in an article, particularly after quoting the man's daughter, is thoughtless, classless, and disrespectful.

Sorry, just the Funeral Director coming out of me again.

http://img.tapatalk.com/62c401e2-e233-9690.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

JeffHCross
05-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Third, to put something like that in an article, particularly after quoting the man's daughter, is thoughtless, classless, and disrespectful.They were quoting a player's Twitter. Placement of the quote was not their first mistake.

steelerfan
05-06-2012, 05:11 PM
They were quoting a player's Twitter. Placement of the quote was not their first mistake.

Yep.

JBHuskers
05-17-2012, 03:25 PM
SMU fires their AD a week after he hires Larry Brown to coach their basketball team. Oops :D

steelerfan
05-18-2012, 12:43 PM
ESPN NCAAF - Ohio St. coach Urban Meyer acknowledges having committed secondary NCAA violations (Plain Dealer)

:D

JBHuskers
05-18-2012, 12:47 PM
ESPN NCAAF - Ohio St. coach Urban Meyer acknowledges having committed secondary NCAA violations (Plain Dealer)

Shit. Urban is a walking secondary violation.

psuexv
05-18-2012, 12:50 PM

I was actually just reading an article on this. Not that I think Meyer and OSU are clean, but some of these violations are a little suspect.

Coach Urban Meyer wishing recruit Noah Spence “Good luck” before his state championship game in December. That sort of contact on game day violates the bylaws.

— Assistant football coach Mike Vrabel used smokeless tobacco on the sidelines during games. According to the documents obtained by the paper, OSU got an anonymous tip from an area health teacher. The NCAA forbids tobacco use during games or practices.

— Football staff member Kirk Barton ordered 20 “JT” bracelets for $5 each for players to wear in honor of Tressel. Barton sold the bracelets for $15 to ensure he’d stay clear of the NCAA. It wasn’t good enough, because players had access to something not available to the general public.

— On Aug. 20, a parent of a recruit sent a text message to assistant coach Dick Tressel to ask which gate the parent should use to enter the stadium for a scrimmage. The coach responded, but texting the parents of a recruit is a violation.

— In December of 2010, five players took five recruits to a movie. The cab ride the players used, however, took them $1 to $5 over the maximum of $60 spending money.

steelerfan
05-18-2012, 12:56 PM
I was actually just reading an article on this. Not that I think Meyer and OSU are clean, but some of these violations are a little suspect.

Cheaters! :D

SmoothPancakes
05-18-2012, 02:26 PM
The fact that a bunch of tiny shit like that are violations, shows the NCAA needs to die and some new entity needs to take over college sports. :fp:

psuexv
05-18-2012, 02:37 PM
The fact that a bunch of tiny shit like that are violations, shows the NCAA needs to die and some new entity needs to take over college sports. :fp:

Exactly, some kids parent texts me as a coach about what gate to go to and I'm supposed to ignore them. Yeah that's going to sell them on my school.

JBHuskers
05-18-2012, 03:29 PM
One of them is the fact that all Urban said was "good luck" :fp: seriously? Like that HS football player just creamed his pants when Urban talked to him and he'll instantly commit to Ohio State. Oh. Wait. That probably was what was going to happen.

SmoothPancakes
05-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Exactly, some kids parent texts me as a coach about what gate to go to and I'm supposed to ignore them. Yeah that's going to sell them on my school.

One of them is the fact that all Urban said was "good luck" :fp: seriously? Like that HS football player just creamed his pants when Urban talked to him and he'll instantly commit to Ohio State. Oh. Wait. That probably was what was going to happen.

Yep. The NCAA has COMPLETELY become blind to their original mission that they were created for, and instead spend all day creating new rules, by-laws and violations to sit there accusing schools and coaches of violating. They need to just be trashed like the BCS. Kill both at the same time and start fresh with a new bowl/playoff system and a new governing body.

SmoothPancakes
05-19-2012, 06:34 AM
More of the "violations" by Ohio State (with some of the previously posted ones by psuexv mixed in) courtesy of Deadspin, each making me :fp: harder and harder with each one. :fp:

• Urban Meyer met with two high school coaches before a state championship game. While leaving the field, he told a player "good luck." That player turned out to be an OSU recruit.

• Assistant coach Mike Vrabel used chewing tobacco on the sidelines.

• Athletic director Gene Smith and alumni association CEO Archie Griffin recorded a personalized video for football recruit Ezekiel Elliott for his official campus visit on March 31. Recruiting videos are forbidden.

• The parents of a football recruit texted an assistant coach to ask which gate to enter Ohio Stadium for a scrimmage. He texted them back with the answer.

• Greg Paulus, video coordinator for the basketball team, was seen talking with players while pointing to the court. Since he's not technically on the coaching staff, he's not allowed to "coach" anyone in this manner.

• On a recruiting visit, a diving prospect's student host bought him an $8 Halloween costume for a party.

• Assistant coach Stan Drayton last July accidentally sent a text message to a recruit when he meant to send an email. Emails were permissible. Text messages were not.

• In December of 2010, five current football players took five recruits on OSU visits to a movie. NCAA rules allow each recruit $60 in spending money for entertainment. A cab ride to the movie put each recruit between $1 and $5 over budget, which the football players paid out of pocket. That was not allowed because the $60 limit was exceeded.

• The school realized that during three days of the football team's Rose Bowl trip from Dec. 26, 2009, to Jan. 2, 2010, the players received both a $15 per diem and breakfast. That pushed them over the allowable three meals of $45 per diem.

• A lacrosse recruit visiting campus for an instructional camp had his personal stick stolen. The OSU staff gave him another one as a replacement.

• A lawyer and booster for the athletics department threw a birthday party for his wife, and invited his close friends who happened to have a kid playing sports at OSU.

• A women's soccer coach tried to leave a voicemail for an academic counselor named Lindsay. He later realized he had dialed the wrong "Lindsay" in his phone, and left the message for a recruit.

• Five graduating seniors on the women's hockey team received framed jerseys and rings. The value of these gifts exceeded the allowed amount, by $4.

• A random man showed up at the tennis facility. He told a coach his daughter was a tennis recruit. The coach told him she couldn't talk to him, and he left.

http://deadspin.com/5911519/ohio-state-self+reports-46-violations-but-really-who-gives-a-shit

Here's the link for the PDF of the official reports filed by Ohio State: http://www.scribd.com/Deadspin/d/94057165-Ncaa-Violations

It's time for the NCAA to die and someone else to take their place. :fp:

razorback44
05-19-2012, 10:51 AM
A random man showed up at the tennis facility. He told a coach his daughter was a tennis recruit. The coach told him she couldn't talk to him, and he left.

How in the world is this a violation?

JeffHCross
05-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Athletic director Gene Smith and alumni association CEO Archie Griffin recorded a personalized video for football recruit Ezekiel Elliott for his official campus visit on March 31. Recruiting videos are forbidden.This one I actually agree with. Namely because we're fucking stupid for somehow forgetting that wasn't a rule. Or, more likely, it's been done before and this one got reported. Why the hell would the AD and Archie be recording a personalized video in the first place? (EDIT: Just read the report and found out that what happened was that the recruit was on campus during the NCAA tournament. Archie and AD Smith were off-site and recorded a video since they wouldn't be there to meet him. Because they said his name, it became a "recruiting video" and a secondary violation. If they hadn't made it "personal", it sounds like it would have been okay. Laughable, though still inexcusable that we forgot that.)

But yes, the rest of the list is just laughable. Two other funny things with this to me: 1) Many (outside Ohio State) have reacted to this by saying that Ohio State should expect this many violations, just because of their size; 2) There was one often-used-in-NCAA-violation-cases lawyer who said that it's more suspicious to NOT have this level of violations reported than it is to have them. Kind of puts that whole "Ohio State has self reported X number of violations" controversy from last year in a new perspective. Somehow, having this number of reported violations is a sign that you have a good compliance department because you're reporting them. I fail to see how, since I mentally equate "compliance" with "security" I deal with at my work. A security department would not be "good" if it was reporting a lot of minor violations, rather than, y'know, stopping them.

More of the "violations" by Ohio State (with some of the previously posted ones by psuexv mixed in) courtesy of Deadspin, each making me :fp: harder and harder with each one. :fp:My personal favorites so far: A) The health teacher that reported Vrabel-being-Vrabel was really irate. "Do you suspect a supervisor or management is involved?" "How about any coach, including Fickell - How can you miss it when he has a huge dip in and is spitting it on the sideline?"

B) "While reviewing [offseason football camp] registrations, Ms. Singel noticed that there were two registrations for a prospective student-athlete by the name of Ryan Moore from Fort Lauderdale, Florida ... After an Internet search of Mr. Moore's high school as well as an e-mail to Mr. Moore's parent, Mr. Rogers was unable to determine Mr. Moore's correct age." So, the kid (possibly) lies about how old he is, we trust him, and that's a violation? Plus, somehow we can't find the answer? I'm not sure which is worse.

JeffHCross
05-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Damn, AFA ...

Tailback Asher Clark, Air Force's second-leading all-time rusher, has been kicked out of school less than a week before graduation as a result of an investigation into illegal drug use, The Gazette of Colorado Springs has reported, citing unnamed sources.

School spokesman David Cannon confirmed to the newspaper that Clark, a four-year starter for the Falcons, is no longer enrolled but would not comment further, referring to the Privacy Act.

According to The Gazette, the school said in January it had suspected at least 15 students were involved in illegal drug use, findings that stemmed from an academy investigation that eventually expanded to involve 31 cadets, some of whom were student-athletes.

JeffHCross
05-19-2012, 05:03 PM
How in the world is this a violation?The coach had contact with a recruit's parent during a recruiting dead period. No contact is allowed, no matter who initiates it. :fp:

SmoothPancakes
05-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Yeah, some of these had their place and reason at one time and some still do (some of the recruiting dead periods and no contact, but there has to be some common sense with this crap, which unfortunately the NCAA completely lacks.

JeffHCross
05-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Yeah, some of these had their place and reason at one time and some still doI think that most (if not all) of the rules still have a place. But it's like the 15-yard facemask penalty. There's a penalty when you crank on it and a penalty when you brush it. Intent is not considered (AFAIK). I don't know that there would have been a difference between Meyer saying "Good luck" and Meyer reading him War & Peace. Maybe the latter would have been a major violation.

Secondary violations, based on this list, simply aren't even worth noting.

SmoothPancakes
05-19-2012, 05:48 PM
I think that most (if not all) of the rules still have a place. But it's like the 15-yard facemask penalty. There's a penalty when you crank on it and a penalty when you brush it. Intent is not considered (AFAIK). I don't know that there would have been a difference between Meyer saying "Good luck" and Meyer reading him War & Peace. Maybe the latter would have been a major violation.

Secondary violations, based on this list, simply aren't even worth noting.

Which is the good thing, that secondary violations usually only result in training sessions/classes, nominal sums of money being paid back, etc. If 46 violations for Ohio State is "normal", though I'd hope any university and compliance department worth paying for would be trying their damnedest to try and stop these violations from ever happening from year to year, then I assume we'd see just as many from any other university around the nation, so thankfully the NCAA has some bit of common sense there in treating these secondary violations as just minor bumps and requiring minor things like classes and small sums money being paid back, and not trying to come down with the hammer as they do when it comes to major violations.

baseballplyrmvp
05-21-2012, 09:21 PM
not trying to come down with the hammer as they do when it comes to major violations.the only school who's had the hammer given to them for a major violation in recent years has been usc.

every other school who's been in the news recently has gotten a slap on the wrist.

JBHuskers
06-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Good to see the CWS have some fresh faces in it like Kent State and Stony Brook. They'll definitely be the fan favorites in Omaha.

souljahbill
06-12-2012, 11:15 AM
I haven't seen so many people disappointed here in Baton Rouge since the day after the BCS Championship.

NatureBoy
06-22-2012, 11:32 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s480x480/527683_10151008506074564_767416005_n.jpg

GAMECOCKS WIN!!!! Final Score 3-2 victory over Arkansas! South Carolina will head back to the CWS Finals for the third straight year!!

psusnoop
06-23-2012, 01:41 AM
Congrats to South Carolina.

SmoothPancakes
06-23-2012, 03:09 AM
Congrats Naitch! I had to get to sleep last night since I had to be into work at 3am this morning, so I didn't get to watch the comeback (it was 2-0 Arkansas when I went to sleep), but I was hoping South Carolina would come back and win it. With Kent State eliminated, South Carolina was the next team in line that I wanted to see win it all, so I'm happy to see they'll get a chance to win that third straight title.

psuexv
06-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Quit the year so far Nature Boy, first the Kings and now maybe the College WS.

SmoothPancakes
06-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Quit the year so far Nature Boy, first the Kings and now maybe the College WS.

Unfortunately for Naitch, I will not be supporting his amazing year continuing into the fall. As a Broncos fan, I can not legally root for the Raiders to win the Super Bowl. :D

NatureBoy
06-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks guys. It's still hard to believe South Carolina is just two wins away from a 3rd straight National Championship. I have had a good run by my favorite sports teams so far this year. All I can say is it's about freakin' time. lol. Being a SC, Kings and Raiders fan, I've had to sit through a lot of shitty years. The lone bright spot has been the Lakers but they had some very crappy years during the 90's. Unless something major happens, I don't see them winning anymore NBA Championships for a very long time.

:D SmoothPancakes, I don't think anyone has to worry about rooting for the Raiders winning a Super Bowl anytime soon. Heck, if they could just make the playoffs this season, I would be a happy camper.

NatureBoy
06-25-2012, 10:53 PM
:up: :South_Carolina: It's been a great three year run by South Carolina. Back to Back National Titles and they made it all the way back to the CWS Finals again this year. They came up short tonight but they have nothing to be ashamed of.

psuexv
06-27-2012, 09:35 AM
All I can say is it's about freakin' time. lol. Being a SC, Kings and Raiders fan, I've had to sit through a lot of shitty years.

Wait? You mean you were still a fan when they weren't winning?

ram29jackson
06-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Wait? You mean you were still a fan when they weren't winning?

:D oh shut up

SmoothPancakes
10-15-2012, 10:06 AM
This is why I love being a fan of a military academy.

Posted on the Navy Athletics Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/navyathletics).

The Navy men's lacrosse team flew back to BWI airport today after playing Notre Dame in a fall lacrosse game on Saturday. While at BWI, the team encountered 67 World War II veterans. After having the opportunity to shake their hand and thank them for their service, the team lined up and saluted them as their buses passed by. It put the entire trip in perspective.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/485655_10151072453756485_1211040846_n.jpg

JeffHCross
10-15-2012, 07:56 PM
God Bless Our Troops.

baseballplyrmvp
10-15-2012, 09:25 PM
God Bless Our Troops.

they dont get near the respect that they should. at least not by the media.

steelerfan
10-15-2012, 11:23 PM
No mention of the score? Oh wait, ND won. ;)

JeffHCross
10-20-2012, 01:08 AM
they dont get near the respect that they should. at least not by the media.Well, yes and no. The academies get more air time than a school of their football prestige would get, were they not named Army, Navy or Air Force. So they get a healthy amount. That said, they do deserve more. But I don't mean more games ... I think the media services really need to do more behind-the-scenes type stories with the academies. Most college students (let alone the average CFB fan) is completely oblivious to how different academy life is.

SmoothPancakes
10-20-2012, 03:10 AM
Well, yes and no. The academies get more air time than a school of their football prestige would get, were they not named Army, Navy or Air Force. So they get a healthy amount. That said, they do deserve more. But I don't mean more games ... I think the media services really need to do more behind-the-scenes type stories with the academies. Most college students (let alone the average CFB fan) is completely oblivious to how different academy life is.

Like for instance, the feature length documentary film 'A Game of Honor' that Showtime and CBS Sports made last year before and during the season, ending with the Army-Navy game. 2 1/2 hours (at least on CBS Sports Network with commercials) of Army and Navy life, from I-Day, Plebe Summer, Beast Barracks, games throughout the seasons, both Army and Navy's games against Air Force, the countdown to Army-Navy, Army-Navy game day, and after.

Here's a link (http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/game-of-honor), where you can watch both the 23 minute Prelude: The Making of 'A Game of Honor' and a 3 1/2 minute clip from Army-Navy game day.

Supposedly, the scuttlebutt going around the internet right now is that there will a DVD/Blu-ray release sometime in the coming months. As for when it actually will ever get released on DVD/Blu-ray, who the hell knows. 'A Game of Honor' aired on Showtime on December 21st, 2011, and was on CBS Sports Network two or three times throughout January 2012, and has not been seen a single time on any TV channel since then.

Personally I don't know what the hell Showtime and CBS Sports are waiting for. This is Army and Navy we're talking about. You could ship 50,000 copies to Annapolis on a Saturday afternoon during football season and every single one would be sold and gone before kickoff. Same for West Point. Same for Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, etc with the tens and hundreds of thousands of Army and Navy fans, former Army soldiers and Navy sailers, those currently in the Army and Navy. Showtime and CBS Sports would rake in millions. But they refuse to release the damn DVD/Blu-ray. That would be either an instant pre-order for me online, or I'd be hunting like a mofo around every damn place that sells DVDs in a 50 mile radius trying to find a copy at a store the very day it came out.

Now when the DVD/Blu-ray of 'A Game of Honor' does come out, if it ever does at this rate, hopefully they'll look at doing some more behind the scenes stuff at the academies.

JeffHCross
10-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Like for instance, the feature length documentary film 'A Game of Honor' that nobody who didn't have Showtime or CBS Sports Network has been able to see yet.Fixed. My point exactly.

JeffHCross
01-20-2013, 09:49 AM
From ElevenWarriors.com

There were 26 rule changes that were proposed on Saturday, 25 of which were passed. Here's the rundown of the big changes.

Coaches are granted unlimited phone calls and text messages to eligible recruits. Somewhere, Kelvin Sampson bemoans that this was not done sooner.

Restrictions on printed material/advertisements to recruits have been lifted as well.

Social media contact is now equivalent to traditional media contact (i.e. phone calls, texts, mailers). Coaches are allowed unlimited contact via Facebook and Twitter (however discreetly).

Recruits are permitted to receive outside sponsorship of competition-related expenditures without compromising eligibility. Remember Sharrif Floyd's "bake sale"? Totally above board now, provided the donor is not an agent of any kind.

The "Baton Rule" is no more. Now, programs can have any number of coaches on the road recruiting as they please.

Recruits can be considered "student athletes" after the National Letter of Intent is signed and faxed. This makes them eligible for any permissible benefits that can be provided once athletes step foot on campus for classes.

This all sounds like the NCAA has essentially liberalized recruiting, short of signing high school athletes to professional contracts with free shoes bonuses.

morsdraconis
01-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Wow. The NCAA just opened a ridiculous large can of worms. :smh:

JeffHCross
01-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Yeah. I can understand wanting to pare down the rule book, but they just made recruiting a 24/7 competition. That's not a good thing. Those assistant coaches just lost any free time they had left.

morsdraconis
01-22-2013, 05:10 AM
Yeah. I can understand wanting to pare down the rule book, but they just made recruiting a 24/7 competition. That's not a good thing. Those assistant coaches just lost any free time they had left.

Yup. It was bad enough as it was with the invasion into people's twitter and facebook stuff, but now it's going to be 24/7 non-stop insanity with that shit. What is there that says these coaches can't hit up these kids in junior high now? Sure as hell sounds like they can if they want to.

JBHuskers
02-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Musberger signed a poster of Kathryn Webb for an Iowa State student :D "she's a 10"

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/musberger_zps249625c4.jpg

souljahbill
02-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Musberger signed a poster of Kathryn Webb for an Iowa State student :D "she's a 10"

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/musberger_zps249625c4.jpg

I was always indifferent to Brent until the BCS Championship. Now I like him. He kept it real and is handling the backlash like a G.

cdj
02-26-2013, 10:35 AM
I was always indifferent to Brent until the BCS Championship. Now I like him. He kept it real and is handling the backlash like a G.

I agree. You can tell he's not going to fall in line to be PC and isn't running & hiding like most would in the situation. He did nothing wrong, so why not?

I love how he seems to sneak in references to sports lines and betting in broadcasts more and more. I crack up every time.

JBHuskers
04-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Tyrann Mathieu told an NFL team in a draft interview that he failed TEN drug tests before LSU suspended him :smh:

steelerfan
04-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Tyrann Mathieu told an NFL team in a draft interview that he failed TEN drug tests before LSU suspended him :smh:

"....the Oakland Raiders select...."

Enviado de meu SAMSUNG SGH I997 usando o Tapatalk 2

JBHuskers
04-12-2013, 12:27 PM

Basically.

Escobar
04-18-2013, 06:43 PM
At least he was honest.

Escobar
04-18-2013, 06:44 PM

Or my Cowboys.

SmoothPancakes
06-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Nevermind.

Completely forgot that bdoughty had posted the link elsewhere.

bdoughty
06-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Damn good Softball game going on right now. OU and Tenn in the Championship - game one. 10 innings of goose eggs and then Tenn hits a 3 run HR and OU somehow pulls out 3 runs in dramatic fashion to tie it up. To the 12th inning we go.

bdoughty
06-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Boom.... two run walk off HR by the best power hitter in all of softball and she is only a Sophomore. OU wins game one. Great game and hats off to the Tenn pitcher for holding OU scoreless for 10 innings.

bdoughty
06-04-2013, 03:29 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9342172/ohio-state-gordon-gee-retire-wake-controversy

Gordon Gee retires from Ohio State over his insensitive remarks.

http://i.imgur.com/zVdcCVQ.jpg

I will miss his popcorn.

SmoothPancakes
06-04-2013, 03:35 PM
All this over some semi-funny comments during a private function. Go fuck yourself media.

bdoughty
06-04-2013, 03:39 PM
All this over some semi-funny comments during a private function. Go fuck yourself media.

Well Gee is Mormon and we know what the press love to do to Mormons. ;)

steelerfan
06-04-2013, 07:41 PM

Which comments? His attack on Catholics or on Pollocks?

I'm using Tapatalk 2 and the Cleveland Browns STILL suck.

bdoughty
06-04-2013, 09:42 PM
BOOOOOOMER SOOOOOONER!!! Congrats to the softball team on NCAA Championship #2. :up:

Deuce
06-04-2013, 10:16 PM
BOOOOOOMER SOOOOOONER!!! Congrats to the softball team on NCAA Championship #2. :up:

:+1:

Typed by thumbs.

SmoothPancakes
06-05-2013, 06:26 AM
Which comments? His attack on Catholics or on Pollocks?

Either/or.

I'm both Catholic and Polish. If anyone had a right to be offended or hate Gee for his comments against both, it would be me. Instead, I got some mild laughs and chuckles from his comments. All the fucking pussies in this country need to grow some goddamn balls. They all bitch left and right about free speech, but when someone makes a joke they don't like, oh, suddenly, "how dare they, they should be fired". All those bitching about this can go choke on a dick.

steelerfan
06-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Either/or.

I'm both Catholic and Polish. If anyone had a right to be offended or hate Gee for his comments against both, it would be me. Instead, I got some mild laughs and chuckles from his comments. All the fucking pussies in this country need to grow some goddamn balls. They all bitch left and right about free speech, but when someone makes a joke they don't like, oh, suddenly, "how dare they, they should be fired". All those bitching about this can go choke on a dick.

I agree. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in now and you have to be smarter than that - which is asking alot of an old man who didn't live in this sort of world his whole life.

SmoothPancakes
06-05-2013, 12:23 PM
I agree. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in now and you have to be smarter than that - which is asking alot of an old man who didn't live in this sort of world his whole life.

Very unfortunately. :(

Agreed, that is asking a lot for an old man, back when you could crack jokes like that, people had some laughs and that was it. But regardless, the comments were NOWHERE on par with the level of backlash, bitching and media whoring that followed it. The demanding for him to be fire or hounding him so long that he resigned just to get it all to end is ridiculous. As I said before, the media can go fuck itself. And this is coming from someone who has spent the better part of the last 8 or 9 years working in media (newspaper for two years then radio). Shit like this is making me disgusted to work in this field and being in any way associated with those jackoffs.

SCClassof93
06-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Interesting read about coaches on the hot seat.
http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/story.cfm/story/1414614

bdoughty
06-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Mack Brown needs to stay the Longhorn coach for life. :nod: Mike Leach is in odd name on the list. I think he will get a few years to turn it around. He just needs to find his inner-pirate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBxe3cprocQ

CLW
06-07-2013, 03:41 PM
http://static.quickmeme.com/media/social/qm.gifhttp://static.quickmeme.com/media/social/qm.gifhttp://static.quickmeme.com/media/social/qm.gifhttp://static.quickmeme.com/media/social/qm.gif

SCClassof93
06-07-2013, 03:53 PM
http://static.quickmeme.com/media/social/qm.gifhttp://static.quickmeme.com/media/social/qm.gif

Very informative post :D

CLW
06-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Very informative post :D

:nod: for some reason its not letting me copy/paste the P.J. Hairston Meme. Some :North_Carolina: fans must be runnin' this joint now.

CLW
06-20-2013, 07:38 AM
Appears Johnny Football has some "issues"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/johnny-manziel-angry-college-station-tweet-over-parking-194440027.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/johnny-manziel-reportedly-almost-transferred-texas-m-2012-135718696.html

ram29jackson
06-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Appears Johnny Football has some "issues"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/johnny-manziel-angry-college-station-tweet-over-parking-194440027.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/johnny-manziel-reportedly-almost-transferred-texas-m-2012-135718696.html

a jock is a BMOC is a jock..and so it goes

AustinWolv
06-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Either/or.

Smooth, you realize that he has a history of comments and stuff he shouldn't say, as he almost incriminated O$U at times to the NCAA by his boasting and strange comments? He had been warned previously that he had to watch what he said. It wasn't those comments alone that ended his time......it was the straw that broke the back though.....

ram29jackson
06-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Either/or.

Polish ? I always pictured you as an African-American dude. But I guess only white guys use Space Balls avatars :D

bdoughty
06-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Polish ? I always pictured you as an African-American dude. But I guess only white guys use Space Balls avatars :D

:ram?:

CLW
06-25-2013, 11:16 AM
More Johnny Football stuff.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9420721/johnny-manziel-texas-aggies-faced-suspension-kevin-sumlin-stood-him (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9420721/johnny-manziel-texas-aggies-faced-suspension-kevin-sumlin-stood-him)

JBHuskers
06-25-2013, 11:19 AM
He definitely let celebrity go to his head. Your next Tony Romo.

AustinWolv
06-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Didn't that happen before he was even a starter?

CLW
06-25-2013, 12:29 PM
He definitely let celebrity go to his head. Your next Tony Romo.

Didn't that happen before he was even a starter?

Yeah this bar fight/suspension happened before last season. Apparently coach helped with the appeal otherwise he would have transferred. However, I think it's safe to say Johnny Football has some "issues" if I were an NFL club I'd PASS on him as he doesn't appear to be mature enough to lead your team in shall we say the "appropriate" way.

JBHuskers
06-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Not sure he has "issues" just being Hollywood too much.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ram29jackson
06-25-2013, 01:25 PM
NCAA vs Oregon = tomorrow

SmoothPancakes
06-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Yeah this bar fight/suspension happened before last season. Apparently coach helped with the appeal otherwise he would have transferred. However, I think it's safe to say Johnny Football has some "issues" if I were an NFL club I'd PASS on him as he doesn't appear to be mature enough to lead your team in shall we say the "appropriate" way.

My thoughts exactly. Between the bar fight, the whole Twitter/transfer crap, all the acting up here and there, he may have won the Heisman as a Freshman, he made ultimately be a hell of a QB in college, but I'm passing on him in the NFL draft. Just way too many potential maturity issues.

ram29jackson
06-25-2013, 10:37 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/22526526/ucla-tops-mississippi-state-wins-first-college-world-series-championship

UCLA wins College baseball national championship

AustinWolv
06-26-2013, 10:12 AM
NCAA vs Oregon = tomorrow

Oregon wins.

NCAA loses. Again.

Well, not really, since the NCAA gets lots of money, so it is their best interest to look the other way and be out of touch with reality.

A single scholarship. Yeah, like that amounts to anything painful for the program.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9424556/oregon-ducks-put-probation-ncaa-loses-scholarship

morsdraconis
06-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Oregon wins.

NCAA loses. Again.

Well, not really, since the NCAA gets lots of money, so it is their best interest to look the other way and be out of touch with reality.

A single scholarship. Yeah, like that amounts to anything painful for the program.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9424556/oregon-ducks-put-probation-ncaa-loses-scholarship

Most likely they're gonna get a Bowl Ban for a year as well. Or, at least, that's what it sounds like.

SmoothPancakes
06-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Talk about a slap on the wrist. :fp:

That's like telling your unruly teenager to be home by 2am instead of 4am.

AustinWolv
06-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Don't see any postseason ban: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9424556/oregon-ducks-put-probation-ncaa-loses-scholarship

Oregon will not be banned from the postseason despite major recruiting violations committed under former coach Chip Kelly.
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-06-26/oregon-ncaa-sanctions-scholarships-postseason-ban-recruiting-violations

morsdraconis
06-26-2013, 11:08 AM
:smh: :smh: :smh:

I REALLY hate the NCAA. Talk about the biggest load of bullshit.

psusnoop
06-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Complete joke and I'm not even talking from a PSU side right now. :smh:

CLW
06-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Don't worry guys O'bannon et al. is going to destroy the NCAA.

Then it will basically be the wild wild west where schools can pay recruits cash; blow and strippers/prostitutes to come to their school. Recruits will then make their recruiting demands to schools and the highest bidder will win.

The NCAA certainly has its flaws but you better be careful what you wish for you just might get it. Just sayin'

SCClassof93
06-26-2013, 01:41 PM

Then it will basically be the wild wild west where schools can pay recruits cash; blow and strippers/prostitutes to come to their school. Recruits will then make their recruiting demands to schools and the highest bidder will win.

The NCAA certainly has its flaws but you better be careful what you wish for you just might get it. Just sayin'

That will be Ok, I will find something else to do instead of watching the games:nod:

AustinWolv
06-26-2013, 01:41 PM

You know the bold part happens now, right?

Ask Cam Newton's dad about the italicized part........

SCClassof93
06-26-2013, 01:44 PM
You know the bold part happens now, right?

Ask Cam Newton's dad about the italicized part........

Yeah murder happens everyday, this does not mean I want it to be legal.

morsdraconis
06-26-2013, 01:45 PM

If college football separated itself from this bullshit of "student" athletes and just became a semi-pro league with college affiliates, none of the above would be an issue. They do it already, why not just stop being hush hush about it?

CLW
06-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Yeah murder happens everyday, this does not mean I want it to be legal.

Agreed. It probably happens more than even I think it does. However, there are consequences for those actions when/if caught.

If college football separated itself from this bullshit of "student" athletes and just became a semi-pro league with college affiliates, none of the above would be an issue. They do it already, why not just stop being hush hush about it?

They do it "hush hush" because a substantial % of its fan base (CLW, SC, etc...) will stop watching/buying/supporting "college athletics" the second it becomes legal.

I'll simply do something else with my time. If I wanted to watch pros, I'd watch the pro leagues. There is a reason more people watch NCAA basketball than the NBADL or College Baseball over the Minor Leagues. Many people prefer to watch legit student athletes compete to the best of their ability at the school of their choice.

morsdraconis
06-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Agreed. It probably happens more than even I think it does. However, there are consequences for those actions when/if caught.

They do it "hush hush" because a substantial % of its fan base (CLW, SC, etc...) will stop watching/buying/supporting "college athletics" the second it becomes legal.

I'll simply do something else with my time. If I wanted to watch pros, I'd watch the pro leagues. There is a reason more people watch NCAA basketball than the NBADL or College Baseball over the Minor Leagues. Many people prefer to watch legit student athletes compete to the best of their ability at the school of their choice.

Pfft, I'm already ready to give up on college athletics. You have basketball being ruined by this one and done bullshit and you have football being ruined by schools getting away with murder while other schools follow the rules legitimately and get destroyed on the football field because of it.

It's pretty disgusting either way you look at it.

CLW
06-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Pfft, I'm already ready to give up on college athletics. You have basketball being ruined by this one and done bullshit and you have football being ruined by schools getting away with murder while other schools follow the rules legitimately and get destroyed on the football field because of it.

It's pretty disgusting either way you look at it.

I agree there needs to be MASSIVE reform. I disagree with Jay Bilas et al. seemingly cheering on the demise of the NCAA. Better to reform the Devil you know than to have utter chaos when it implodes in this case.

ram29jackson
06-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Phil Knight and the Sneaker mafia buy off the NCAA

AustinWolv
06-26-2013, 06:06 PM
there are consequences for those actions when/if caught.
Not nearly harsh enough to slow it down. The reward is FAR greater than the small risk of getting caught. Some of the most heavily cited teams for violations are consequently the ones trumpeted over the past 10 years as being the best in college football wins and hype on ESPN.

CLW
06-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Not nearly harsh enough to slow it down. The reward is FAR greater than the small risk of getting caught. Some of the most heavily cited teams for violations are consequently the ones trumpeted over the past 10 years as being the best in college football wins and hype on ESPN.

Again, I don't disagree. If I were King of college athletics there would be SEVERAL universities right now with a Death Penalty and several more with a DECADE+ long post-season ban.

ram29jackson
06-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Again, I don't disagree. If I were King of college athletics there would be SEVERAL universities right now with a Death Penalty and several more with a DECADE+ long post-season ban.

which would kill profits and raise tuitions and make real unpopular.

CLW
06-26-2013, 06:53 PM

kill profits (don't care)

raise tuitions - DOUBTFUL - college athletics do NOTHING about tuitions - if anything the lack of major sports would force Univ to lower tuition due to noone wanting to go to a school with no football/basketball program

unpopular - again don't care I'm King and noone can take away my crown.

ram29jackson
06-26-2013, 07:01 PM
kill profits (don't care)

raise tuitions - DOUBTFUL - college athletics do NOTHING about tuitions - if anything the lack of major sports would force Univ to lower tuition due to noone wanting to go to a school with no football/basketball program

unpopular - again don't care I'm King and noone can take away my crown.

:) well, ultimately we know the monster is too big and your solution wouldn't work anywho.

I read somewhere else that the NCAA will play nicey nice now because when the playoffs start growing they don't want to left out of the money making picture. I don't know how that works but its just what heard.

ram29jackson
06-26-2013, 07:24 PM
see, the NCAA is trying to paint a nice image now LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu40lzNP6D4

AustinWolv
06-27-2013, 12:16 PM

Wrong on tuition.

What it would kill would be paying for all the secondary/non-revenue sports.......that's what the big money from big football and basketball do -> pay for the rest of the athletic department.

AustinWolv
06-27-2013, 12:17 PM

Agreed!

ram29jackson
06-27-2013, 04:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC1aAGj34gs

souljahbill
07-10-2014, 05:43 AM
CLW, you're a lawyer, what's up with :Duke:?
John Wayne's family, university 'Duke' it out
http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/09/showbiz/john-wayne-duke-dispute/index.html

cdj
08-07-2014, 09:29 PM
NCAA board votes to allow autonomy (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences?src=mobile&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2Fm90 cJfNzjI%22%7D)

The power conferences in major college sports just got more powerful -- maybe a lot more so.

The NCAA Division I board of directors on Thursday voted 16-2 to allow the schools in the top five conferences to write many of their own rules. The autonomy measures -- which the power conferences had all but demanded -- will permit those leagues to decide on things such as cost-of-attendance stipends and insurance benefits for players, staff sizes, recruiting rules and mandatory hours spent on individual sports.

"This keeps Division I together," board chairman and Wake Forest president Nathan Hatch said. "I'm thrilled that Division I and all its virtues can be maintained, and I think this is the pathway to do so."

The top 64 schools in the richest five leagues (the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12) plus Notre Dame can submit their own legislation by Oct. 1 and have it enacted at the January 2015 NCAA convention in Washington, D.C. Several presidents said Thursday that the full cost-of-attendance stipends, which could be worth between $2,000 and $5,000 per player, likely would be the first item taken up. The NCAA approved those stipends three years ago, but legislation was halted when the full membership voted it down. Four-year scholarship guarantees are expected to be on the early agenda, as well.

"I think you'll see those issues be acted on very aggressively, right away," NCAA president Mark Emmert said.

Other new rules the biggest conferences could enact include loosened restrictions involving contact between players and agents, letting players pursue outside paid career opportunities and covering expenses for players' families to attend postseason games. Areas that will not fall under the autonomy umbrella include postseason tournaments, transfer policies, scholarship limits, signing day and rules governing on-field play.

Leagues outside the Power Five can opt to adopt the same rules. Of course, many schools won't be able to afford measures like cost-of-attendance stipends. That could create an even larger competitive imbalance between schools in the power conferences and those in leagues like the Sun Belt, MAC or even in the FCS.

"There is a risk the gap will grow; I think we ought to be candid about that," Rice president David W. Leebron said. "We're in a world of radically different resources. But those schools with more resources ... will have some ability to spend those resources in ways that are actually more rational, particularly with a priority on student-athlete welfare."

Hatch said there was "some conflict" and disagreement in the board's discussion about autonomy, which passed without a unanimous vote. Ultimately, though, even those schools that don't stand to benefit from the new structure did not want to lose their relationships with the power conferences and desired to protect competitions like the NCAA basketball tournament.

SmoothPancakes
08-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Well, the death of college sports can't come soon enough now. :fp:

bdoughty
08-09-2014, 08:09 PM
"This keeps Division I together," board chairman and Wake Forest president Nathan Hatch said. "I'm thrilled that Division I and all its virtues can be maintained, and I think this is the pathway to do so."[/I]

I checked and lightning did not hit Mr. Hatch after those comments. How this did not happen? I have no cluse.