PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Playbook: Inside Zone Discussion

Oneback
04-27-2011, 10:53 AM
There will be a couple articles on this subject but I wanted to keep all the discussion together.

Understanding the Inside Zone Blocking Scheme (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?400-Understanding-the-Inside-Zone-Blocking-Scheme)

Inside Zone Breakdown versus 4-3 Normal (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?409-Inside-Zone-Breakdown-versus-4-3-Normal)

Breakdown: Inside Zone vs Even Front (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?412-Breakdown-Inside-Zone-vs-Even-Front)

Breakdown: Inside Zone vs Odd Front (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?417-Breakdown-Inside-Zone-vs-Odd-Front)

Breakdown: Inside Zone vs Odd Stack Front (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?418-Breakdown-Inside-Zone-vs-Odd-Stack-Front)

Defensive Keys and Run Fits vs Inside Zone (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?424-Defensive-Keys-and-Run-Fits-vs-Inside-Zone)

Inside Zone Plays from Under Center (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?426-Inside-Zone-Plays-from-Under-Center)

Shotgun Inside Zone Read and Triple Part One (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?429-Shotgun-Inside-Zone-Read-and-Triple-Part-One)

Shotgun Inside Zone Read and Triple Part Two (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?434-Shotgun-Inside-Read-and-Triple-Part-Two)

Keontez
04-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Wow, very informational and in depth. Love the way you explain this in common english.

Oneback
04-27-2011, 04:01 PM
I am trying to make things as "user friendly" as possible and start with the basics.

morsdraconis
04-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Bravo! Well done man. This is some seriously nitty gritty stuff and I'm lovin' it. Obviously, very basic with no pulling linemen or anything like that and against pretty basic fronts without any of the crazy exotic looks that defenses can give now, but still, VERY good job of explaining what can sometimes be difficult to understand for people outside of football.

Looking forward to much more man. How much of this were you able to convey to the guys at EA during the community events and how much of this do you think they'll practically be able to implement? A well coached offensive line that is able to work in unison is a beautiful sight to behold (love me some 80s Hogs) and I'd love to see more of that in the game.

Oneback
04-27-2011, 06:14 PM
I am covering the fronts you see the most of in the game, the great things about the zone rules is that they will basically take care of the rest.

I delivered two notebooks full of hand written information (probably 300 pages total) to EA in January, not sure what will make this year or not.

Dr Death
04-27-2011, 09:58 PM
I am covering the fronts you see the most of in the game, the great things about the zone rules is that they will basically take care of the rest.

I delivered two notebooks full of hand written information (probably 300 pages total) to EA in January, not sure what will make this year or not.

300 pages of hand-written info??? God God man, that's impressive. Since nobody can read my writing that's why I stick w/ Word! :D Looking forward to this series. I think it will be fun, informative and hopefully, have some input w/ EA and impact the game going forward! Great job Oneback!

JeffHCross
04-27-2011, 10:01 PM
300 pages of hand-written info???They were small pages. ;)

In all seriousness, it was awesome and overwhelming, both.

psusnoop
04-28-2011, 07:34 AM
OB, very nice. Thanks in advance, this is really cool to read.

Kingpin32
04-28-2011, 04:49 PM
I know what I'm gonna be reading during my late shifts at work now. Good info Oneback!

Oneback
05-01-2011, 07:58 AM
I have added a breakdown of inside zone runs against the 4-3 Normal. Link on the first post.

morsdraconis
05-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Great breakdown of how incredibly poor the blocking actually still is from the zone running aspects in the game. One can only hope that they fixed at least some of that especially considering them saying, "We've got correct blocking for zone plays now!" when it's not even close to being correct without the offensive linemen being psychic.

It's pretty sad when it's easier to stop the run by playing man defense because the offensive line then doesn't scrap to the backers like their supposed to compared to them releasing directly to them when you blitz the backers.

Oneback
05-01-2011, 11:45 AM
mors,

I know you weren't going here but I don't want to turn this thread into EA bashing session, that is not why I set out to do this. I like most of you want the game as realistic as possible and wanted a constructive way to give feedback on core gameplay issues for the entire community. So lets not let this digress into a EA bashing session.

souljahbill
05-01-2011, 12:12 PM
I'll never understand any of this stuff. I'll stick to injury prevention and rehabilitation.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-03-2011, 08:33 PM
im glad you delivered a lot of info to them... this years zone at the base level was a great implementation but i think the movement to next level wasnt quite developed as much as should have been, so hopefully that has been addressed... i hope you gave them stuff on track zone as well so that not all the "zone" stuff is double team in this next version...

glad you got to go... much needed

"E"

Oneback
05-04-2011, 06:31 AM
im glad you delivered a lot of info to them... this years zone at the base level was a great implementation but i think the movement to next level wasnt quite developed as much as should have been, so hopefully that has been addressed... i hope you gave them stuff on track zone as well so that not all the "zone" stuff is double team in this next version...

glad you got to go... much needed

"E"

I did give information on track zone and will cover track zone once I get into complementary plays/plays that need to be added to the game.

For those of you that don't know the track zone term its basically counter and lead with outside-in zone blocking or away from the play side as opposed to inside-out zone blocking or towards the play side.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-04-2011, 09:36 AM
did you see an improvement to the LB responsibilities in the game? when they are doubling up in '12 are they protecting gaps or just firing out for the sake of a double team? thats the one thing that has killed HB Counter from the gun, and HB Zone, and some Speed Options are getting blown up by playside/backside backers who get no attention from the double teams... thats what i was hoping to get an answer from you on, are they actually recognizing next level threats to the gaps... if not, i PRAY that you can explain it clearly when you head back down, so maybe it can be fixed before release... again great work... and top notch bro for covering the things us coaches rant about non-stop...

when you talked to them about it were they receptive or knowledgeable about any of it already? just curious as to how versed these guys are from the technical aspect... i assume the guys they hire to develop are software guys, but there HAS to be some passion for the X's and O's in there somewhere... thanks again, and again, and again...

"E"

Oneback
05-04-2011, 11:04 AM
In the build I saw linebackers still played as they do in NCAA 11, however also in that build the secondary did not play with leverage on zone drops. In the information I provided I covered defensive line and linebacker reads as well as secondary support. I also covered secondary leverage techniques which now looks like it is in the game...so there is hope for key reads as well.

Also, the blocking changes hadn't been implemented in my two visits so I cannot comment on if it has been improved up to this point. I am hoping to be back out there this month hopefully to give more feedback.

That being said, I have let the powers that be at EA know that I have started ncaaplaybook.net and they are following along.

As far as their knowledge...one of the guys played quarterback under Steve Spurrier. Another has some coaching background and loves the X's and O's aspect of the game, he and I talked for 30-plus minutes about the verticals concept and adding the seam read and outside read concepts into the existing plays and have done the same on various other topics.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-04-2011, 07:36 PM
im sorry bro... i worded my question terrible... i was asking if you saw the DOUBLE TEAMS of the zone taking account for their gaps when LB's fired through... but you may have answered that in the middle part of your post... anyways look forward to hearing more from you if you get to go down...

"E"

JeffHCross
05-04-2011, 11:11 PM
i assume the guys they hire to develop are software guysThe programmers and guys in charge of actually putting the code in the game are almost certainly software geeks. But the guys in charge of the decisions, and the ones that head up the gameplay team, have the necessary football knowledge. It certainly blew my level of knowledge away very quickly. They are also very, very passionate about getting things "right".

Jayrah
05-05-2011, 03:44 AM
HOLY CATS! I didn't think you were going that in depth. I wish I had your time.... Great stuff!

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-05-2011, 08:55 AM
The programmers and guys in charge of actually putting the code in the game are almost certainly software geeks. But the guys in charge of the decisions, and the ones that head up the gameplay team, have the necessary football knowledge. It certainly blew my level of knowledge away very quickly. They are also very, very passionate about getting things "right".

yeah... i figured as much, if not before at least now i expect it with the mindset of the new guy taking over and the apologies he sent out last year... im thoroughly excited about everything and no offense to any of the other event guys that were there (and there may be another one besides OB) but its very assuring to me to know that a coach was there to get down and dirty with the ins and outs of the game... it is still my dream to get there some day to be able to help tie the loose ends and i appreciate the stuff you guys do... and i thought i was excited for '11... lol

"E"

Oneback
05-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Just added another: Breakdown: Inside Zone vs Even Front (link on first post)

I am hoping to have the next two up by the end of the weekend so I can start getting into new inside zone plays that need to be added to the game and a complete breakdown of the inside read and inside read option plays.

Keontez
05-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Im so happy that you're doing this. What really irks me with the game play is the lack of consistency against certain fronts. I understand players moving around but you cant get the same blocking schemes verse the same static front, EVER. I really hope this gets fixed along with option blocking on the backside.

Oneback
05-07-2011, 09:29 PM
I just added the inside zone vs the odd front.

ram29jackson
05-08-2011, 04:24 AM

wow ! would they not already get that from NCAA or NFL people ? it is what they do, after all. Did They respond saying it was info they would consider or use ?

Oneback
05-08-2011, 06:01 AM
wow ! would they not already get that from NCAA or NFL people ? it is what they do, after all. Did They respond saying it was info they would consider or use ?

It's information they will use, one of the new offensive plays was a play I gave them.

Oneback
05-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Just added the inside zone versus the odd stack front.

Oneback
05-08-2011, 01:54 PM
After looking at the inside zone blocking scheme against the four major defensive fronts I can safely say the worst job was done with the odd stack front with the best probably against the odd front. The Inside Read and Read Option plays are blocked better than thier under center counterparts mainly because the offense is reading the backside end. Their are problems with the blocking scheme throughout all four fronts however the real problem lies with the blocking progressions from the first to second level as routinely the wrong blocker comes off. There needs to be a lot of work done to make the inside zone work as it should which is really a shame considering how often this play is used in modern football from traditional pro-style to spread and spread option teams.

Keontez
05-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Essentially with this game, I'd like to see implemented a way to adjust blocking schemes for run plays with the same controls we use for slide protect. Being able to cancel pulling lineman when we see an opponent trying to nano blitz through gaps, Canceling double teams and such. Improvements to Pulling Guards assignments to actually make them pull through a hole and block the first linebacker threat would be great.

Looking forward to your work on the Trap Plays.

Oneback
05-09-2011, 11:17 AM
I've got a little bit to do before I get there. I should have an article up about the defenses reaction to the inside zone up tomorrow, then I will get into under center inside zone plays that need to be added and some of the variations off of them. There will also be a pretty lengthy article on the inside zone read and read option from shotgun, I'll then wrap it up and move on to outside zone. I will pretty much follow the same format for each blcoking scheme.

Oneback
05-13-2011, 05:43 AM
I have added the Defensive Keys and Run Fits vs the Inside Zone. Next up now that we know what everyone should be doing I will be drawing up plays that utilize the inside zone blocking scheme and need to be added to the game.

irishfbfan1
05-14-2011, 01:56 AM
Oneback,

Great stuff my man! Now inside zone to me will always be from undercenter NO read but packaged with outside zone or Stretch as its called, along with the zone counter and the PA Passes off of each, that is just the Pro Style coming out of me lol. Nice find buddy

irish

Oneback
05-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Just added Inside Zone Plays from Under Center

irishfbfan1
05-16-2011, 03:24 AM
thanks oneback. Love it!

Oneback
05-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Just added Shotgun Inside Zone Read and Triple Part One

Keontez
05-17-2011, 11:15 PM
:D Could you possibly hotlink them in the update for us lazies?

gschwendt
05-17-2011, 11:21 PM
:D Could you possibly hotlink them in the update for us lazies?
It's always one of the tabs across the top of the site.

Keontez
05-18-2011, 01:08 PM
It's always one of the tabs across the top of the site.

I know, just being difficult.

Oneback, great stuff. I really hope they can add this to the series just to make gameplay more realisitic. :up:

Oneback
05-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Just put up Shotgun Inside Zone Read and Triple Part Two (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?434-Shotgun-Inside-Read-and-Triple-Part-Two)

Keontez
05-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Bang up job, Oneback.

Oneback
05-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Bang up job, Oneback.

Thanks for the good word.

I've already started working on the outside zone stuff, but right after stay tuned as I will cover the option (read: flexbone) afterwards.

bogeyexpress
09-16-2011, 09:24 PM
great read. I want to incorporate more TO from SG into my offense.

Oneback
09-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Thank you. I am currently in the process of restarting this...however I am going to take a different approach and start with defense as I should have to begin with. While defense isn't simple you must understand the concepts before you can start to dissecting them on offense. So keep an eye out for some new material soon.