PDA

View Full Version : The State of Gaming & NCAA Football in 2010

JBHuskers
06-01-2010, 02:08 PM
You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?182-The-State-of-Gaming-amp-NCAA-Football-in-2010

cdj
06-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Nice article.

I think it goes for ALL video games (not just NCAA or sports games) that sometimes we get caught up in what isn't in the game or what doesn't work the way we want and we end up shorting a game that is pretty solid and enjoyable. Sometimes it feels like we (I'm guilty of this as well) end up forgetting the point of video games (to have fun) and get hung up on issues & bugs posted online we wouldn't have run into or cared about otherwise.

In regards to NCAA, it cuts both ways. I can see and understand why people have stayed away until all last-gen features make their way back in, but next-gen technology has provided some features not possible that sometimes gets taken for granted IMO. I'm anxious to see the community reaction when all NCAA 11 features are known and also to where this franchise is headed with Roy at the helm. He and the team seem energized and it sounds like they have some ambitious plans over the next few years.

Personally, I doubt EA starts over when the next generation of consoles hit, but that's just a guess. I think they know they can't afford to do that and will learn from some of the issues (internal & external) that slowed them down at the start of this console generation.

Rudy
06-01-2010, 07:25 PM
I've been guilty of that as well. You focus too much on the negative and not enough on the things that make a game fun. Everyone has different tastes and standards. Some are able to overlook certain flaws while others can't. I really do see both sides of that argument.

There were certain flaws with NCAA 09 that I could overlook and end up liking the game. Some things with NCAA 10 bothered me when I would compare them with NCAA 09. If NCAA 10 was the only football game I'd ever played I would probably be amazed. But I can't judge the game in a vacuum like that so I ended up being disappointed despite the fact the game did improve in quite a few areas (improved sliders, cpu run game, cpu throwing deep).

MLB 2K10 is probably the most flawed and yet fun sports game I've played on the PS3. I've never seen a game with so many fundamental flaws (no errors or injuries, fatigue screwed up, etc) and yet I've been able to overlook them to have fun. Not everyone has been able to do that. On the other side of the coin, MLB the Show has always been a great game but has gotten stale for me because it hasn't changed enough. I passed on it this year despite the fact it's more polished than 2K10. You see the same thing with people overlooking flaws in Backbreaker but crucifying NCAA or Madden for the same thing. Sometimes a break or a fresh look at something can change your outlook. Having not played much football the last year I expect NCAA 11 to be a really good game in spite of the fact the game won't be perfect.

Jayrah
06-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Great article JB. And great points guys. I would also like to address, on something CDJ said about EA not making the same mistake in the next gen of consoles, that I hope EA just doesn't release a title until they have fully adapted and know the title is going to take a big leap forward on the next gen of consoles. I wish them to keep it on (what is now) current gen until that leap happens, so as not to take a step backwards, and then catching up, and then moving forward in season 4 or 5. If that would mean waiting till season 3 on the Xbox and PS4, then that would be my wish. I also understand though, that they are in a business and they really don't have a choice financially but to release as soon as possible on the new interface.

Therefore I am probably one that will enjoy it on the 360 for a couple years after the new gen drops, similar to what many did with PS2 version for what is now several years. I'm confident that we are finally moving forward on this gen and really taking strides to making an unforgettable and truly enjoyable game for both the hardcore and less hardcore gamers of our time. I guess similar to what 04 is currently, except I really don't believe that 04 will be mentioned after a short while here.

And quickly speaking on the idea that anything should have been in since day 1: I don't believe in any capacity that everything that is fundamental to football could possibly be installed. Therefore "since day 1" has little significance in the grand scale of the title. Technically, everything that is added that improves realistically on gameplay "should have been in since day 1", but who's to say that there wasn't a more fundamental list of things that could be installed, and would take a foundation to do correctly? And who's to say they didn't try to install it, and just couldn't based on tech, fundamental principles missing in other areas, etc.? To me, saying that something "should have been there from always" is a little bit ignorant. Football is maybe the most complex sport on the planet, there are a million and one fundamentals, but where is the importance based? It's just a toss up, and we should just be happy they are finally getting some of the more core stuff, by our hardcore standards in the game.

:)

NatureBoy
06-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Very good write up JB. As a gamer who first starting gaming as a kid in the late 70's on the Atari 2600, I couldn't agree with you more.

Never in a million years did I ever think video games would have advanced the way the have during my lifetime.

JeffHCross
06-01-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm going to be different than everyone else and say that was a horrible article.

Because I can.

;)

JBHuskers
06-01-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm going to be different than everyone else and say that was a horrible article.

Because I can.

;)

Permabaaaaaaaaaaan. NOW!

Will edit in a wink in case people thought I was serious ;)

Jayrah
06-01-2010, 11:57 PM
HAHA JB, that's me and Jeff both banned in a matter of days by you. :D You're ROLLIN'

JBHuskers
06-02-2010, 12:01 AM
HAHA JB, that's me and Jeff both banned in a matter of days by you. :D You're ROLLIN'

Iron fist baby....IRON FIST.

steelerfan
06-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Good write-up, JB. Thank you.

FWIW, here's my angle. I have played every single version of NCAA from the beginning. When the jump was made to PS2, I did my own rosters. Soon after, I discovered forums and roster sharing (was most grateful to NOT have to do my own rosters anymore). I have always sought a sim style. I work constantly to tweak sliders to give myself a challenge and to keep stats realistic. I have enjoyed every iteration of this series ALOT with 2 exceptions (06 and 08).

Sometimes it's easier to enjoy than others. In 06 and 08 there were too many things I couldn't fix with sliders (ie 08's Depth Chart interface). But, every other year, I find a way to have fun. Part of that has caused me to steer clear of forums from August to April so I don't know all the latest bugs, glitches and AI issues.

I have probably played fewer than 10 games online because of this. I even get pissed at my friends because they use some form of cheese when we play head-to-head. I personally have always found less stress (and more fun) in playing the CPU. If for no other reason than not having to deal with cheese.

Still, I did play an OD with a friend last year (thanks again CDJ for your help with the issues we had) and would love to do so again (although not with the same cheesing friend, lol).

I guess, for me, forums are great from April through July. But, once I have the game in my hands, I don't want to know EVERYTHING that's "wrong" with it. I'll seek help if I have an issue but, if not, I ignore the "OMG, WORST GLITCH EVAR!" BS that overruns the boards for months. F' that, I'll form my own opinion and usually find enjoyment.

I do want to add that I agree 100% that it is ignorant to believe that everything that took years to put in a current gen game will automatically be there the first year of next gen. It's unreasonable to assume that. "It should have been in years ago" is a backwards way to bellyache about what you now have.

Rudy
06-02-2010, 05:13 AM
Great article JB. And great points guys. I would also like to address, on something CDJ said about EA not making the same mistake in the next gen of consoles, that I hope EA just doesn't release a title until they have fully adapted and know the title is going to take a big leap forward on the next gen of consoles.

I hope EA learns from this experience as well. The football games were too basic and unrefined when they hit next gen. They were much more prepared for the PS2 than the PS3. Quite frankly I don't see myself buying a PS4 for the first couple of years. I won't upgrade next time until I know the next gen games are better than the past. Furthermore, the graphics on the current systems are so good that the eye candy appeal won't be as strong in the next generation. They will have to appeal to better gameplay period.

skipwondah33
06-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Nice article man.

Deuce
06-02-2010, 10:49 AM
I guess, for me, forums are great from April through July. But, once I have the game in my hands, I don't want to know EVERYTHING that's "wrong" with it.

this!

It'd be nice once the game comes out to have a 'blissfully ignorant' thread where nothing negative can be brought up. I'd rather read all the good things people point out and be blissfully ignorant. I know I'll enjoy the game much more.

morsdraconis
06-02-2010, 07:28 PM
this!

It'd be nice once the game comes out to have a 'blissfully ignorant' thread where nothing negative can be brought up. I'd rather read all the good things people point out and be blissfully ignorant. I know I'll enjoy the game much more.

Sounds like an EXCELLENT idea to me. You start it and I'll be sure to be there and add to it. :)

JeffHCross
06-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Permabaaaaaaaaaaan. NOW!

Will edit in a wink in case people thought I was serious ;):D I would hope people would know you and me well enough to know neither of our posts were serious. :D

JeffHCross
06-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Furthermore, the graphics on the current systems are so good that the eye candy appeal won't be as strong in the next generation.I would swear we thought this about the PS2. It seems blasphemous now, but I remember every year NCAA would come out and I'd think "it looks so reallllllllllll!!!!" only to look back at it now and go "wtf?"

morsdraconis
06-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I would swear we thought this about the PS2. It seems blasphemous now, but I remember every year NCAA would come out and I'd think "it looks so reallllllllllll!!!!" only to look back at it now and go "wtf?"

See, that's actually kinda funny to me because I've always been the opposite, I guess you could say.

Whenever I look at a game, especially one that hasn't been in development for very long (like all EASports games are), and I see pretty graphics I end up thinking, "Great. They paid more attention to making the game look pretty instead of making the game fun to play" or, in the instance of RPGs and such, "Great, they paid more attention to making the game look pretty and not enough time developing the dialog, story, and combat system."

I mean, sure, the graphic designers aren't the ones programming the game, writing for the game, ect, but they are part of the project's budget and developing time and if it takes 3 months to perfect the graphics because they are pushing the envelop in that department, that could result in less time and effort being spent in, my opinion, more important aspects of the game.

It may be an antiquated thought process now, but it just seems to me that the more games push to make the graphics look better, the more the same the gameplay is. It really frustrates me that the gaming environment (and on a broader scale the entertainment industry in general) is so cookie cutter and mass produced that games start playing, looking, and being more and more like each other. I get so bored with games so quickly now-a-days (except for NCAA) that the only time I ever end up playing them again after a period of time (sometimes after having only just gotten it and played it for a few hours) beyond first trying them is out of boredom of not having anything else to do. Games are so incredibly bland and the only reason why NCAA sticks with me for so long is because of how different it can be and online dynasties (and hopefully offline dynasties since recruiting is going to be so difficult now).

I guess, in the end, I just miss the good old days of gaming. Even now, after having played and beaten it so many times, I can go back and play Doom 2 again and get the same amount of joy out from it that I got so long ago. No FPS since has been able to hold a torch to that game. Even though it's dated, it still manages to scare the hell out of me and give me that adrenaline rush just like I got when I first played it as a kid. Hell, just talking about it here makes me want to play it again.

rhombic21
06-02-2010, 10:20 PM
There are things that I like about where the current state of gaming is, and things that I don't. I like the fact that we can get patches to address any glaring or major issues, which theoretically should be able to overcome any major flaws in the game that are discovered post-release. Unfortunately with EA, they haven't addressed many of the critical issues for NCAA in years past, and there has been a virtual absence of downloadable content that can extent the life of the game (would have LOVED to see things like downloadable playbooks or historic teams/uniforms that came out post-release).

In terms of the actual gameplay, I have mixed feelings as well. There are certain elements that the game seems to do fairly well that were never really handled all that well on last-gen (DB-WR interactions come to mind as one thing), but it also seems like the game has stalled out in terms of improved realism, and we've entered this time period where every year there is some major AI flaw that creates unbalanced gameplay. Other areas, like CPU intelligence have made only incremental improvements since the series was on PS2.

I guess the bottom line to me is that I haven't had more fun with the games now than I did back when it was on PS2. Maybe this year will change that. I felt like '10 was a good effort, but there were just a couple of things that seriously detracted from it (run commit and messed up zones being the two biggest).

I OU a Beatn
06-02-2010, 10:47 PM
This is my 3rd generation of consoles. I played a little PS1 when I was a kid, and followed that up by playing a PS2 through my teenage years. Got a PS3 very shortly after release and have had one since then. From an NCAA Football standpoint, I actually preferred PS2 more. The PS2 was the dominant console and the vast majority of the community was on PS2, so it was nice having so many players to choose from to play against. I also think the games were higher quality(maybe I just wasn't as observant back then as I am now). Now, the PS3 and 360 are so much closer so the community is split pretty much right down the middle.

With that said, this current gen offers so much more potential with every game released. They have patches than can fix most game errors, and it seems development teams for all games are really starting to ask their respective communities for feedback. It makes sense, they're the ones playing your game so why not ask them what they do and do not like?

There's also now room for digital distribution. Like rhombic said, EA doesn't really utilize it, but I'd be all over it if they released premium playbooks, uniforms, or stuff like that. Not to mention the graphics on these games are so much better than anything the PS2 ever accomplished(duh), and the emphasis on communication on both PSN and XBL really bring the community together with features like universal friends list and messaging systems.

All in all, I much prefer this generation. I'm a graphics whore, I like that developers communicate with their buyers, I love the emphasis on community and social features, and I absolutely love that they can now fix games after they have been released as well as potentially adding new features/content via DLC.

JBHuskers
06-03-2010, 01:38 AM
Great stuff guys! Everyone posting their thoughts in this thread....GREAT STUFF. Love this conversation.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
06-03-2010, 08:45 AM
some of us are old enough to remember THESE as kids...

so when graphics are updated, i dont complain... with that being said... the same thing can be spoken about gameplay... how many jukes do you think were pulled off in any of those three systems? how many blitzes? how many real plays for that matter? lol

the point is, development in both graphics and gameplay is vital to the advancement, and playability of the game. neither is more important than the other, as we would just crucify them for one or the other if they pushed the envelop in one area more than the other in one installment...

if the game looked like this:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/ps/NCAAFootball2001/ncaafootball2001_790screen002.jpg

but played like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpZO1yiaAwU

you would be a liar to say that you wouldnt be flooding these forums, and their forums, with outbursts that demand a better look for your players... and some of the quotes would read, "we can successfully pull off a zone read these days, why cant we get players that dont look like they are made out of legos?"

its all relative, and subjective... so EA and anyone else over time will be the bad guy... always... until (GOD FORBID) the day comes through some twisted fate of events that we may not have a football game to play... then we would rethink our complaints, and our desires for upgrades as consumers...

its not that i "side" with EA, or take up for them, but i just know where we come from as most of you also know, and i see where we are... and its a whole other world from what i ever thought i would see in a video game... and if you look at it through say for example my fathers eyes, who remembers the days of a family owning only one tv set in the household, you will find someone who cant believe what you see in some games, and used to mistake my old PS2 games back in high school as "real games on tv"... and would try to find out who i was watching so he could put it on in the family room...

relative, subjective... all in perception...

i for one am glad for what we have, do i get aggravated? you bet your pants... do i ever want to stop buying the game? you bet your pants... will i ever stop buying the game? if you want to lose your pants, you can try betting them again... b/c with all things being relative, and subjective, even to a tight-knit group of "simulation" guys such as the ones on this site, you are still going to find a different desire for the game based on the individual passion for the game... and at this moment in my nearly 31 years, from what i see in NCAA 11, i see small tweaks, as to how the game could be perfect for me, but i know that some day my son who is now 7, will be playing on a PS5 or XBOX "720" (? lol just something off the top of my head), and the game will be probably be holographic, and be in 3D as it is on the TV screens of today, but will immerse you in the game totally... and i will look back and say... one day we used to push buttons, i used to be on a forum where we traded ideas and rosters over the internet... only to be laughed at and told that only old people use controllers...

ahhh... technology... oh how it dates us, even before we get "old"

"E"

Rudy
06-03-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm going to turn 38 in a month and I can remember a lot of those old games. I had an Atari and played crappy looking sprites and I'm not much of a graphics whore but graphics DO matter. It's why we rush out and buy new consoles. Personally I think there are a few too many old farts (not the post above) out there saying, "I played way back when games were simple and fun and I loved it! These young whippersnappers are just spoiled brats!" I honestly don't care how far video games have come in 30 years. Yeah it's great but it doesn't matter how good or bad games were 20 years ago or 2 years ago. All that matters is how good the games are that I'm playing right now.

JBHuskers
06-03-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm going to turn 38 in a month and I can remember a lot of those old games. I had an Atari and played crappy looking sprites and I'm not much of a graphics whore but graphics DO matter. It's why we rush out and buy new consoles. Personally I think there are a few too many old farts (not the post above) out there saying, "I played way back when games were simple and fun and I loved it! These young whippersnappers are just spoiled brats!" I honestly don't care how far video games have come in 30 years. Yeah it's great but it doesn't matter how good or bad games were 20 years ago or 2 years ago. All that matters is how good the games are that I'm playing right now.

I think it's all a matter of timing. I'm nearly 31, and when I was a kid, I was fully content with play season after season of Tecmo Bowl. When I first started college at 18, I was more of a NFL Blitz guy than a simulation football guy. I didn't become a simulation football gamer until close to graduating college when I was 21 or 22. So just as the games have evolved, so has my tastes.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
06-03-2010, 08:27 PM

i dont take offense to that... and they do matter... thats not my point... my point is, is that regardless of what they advance, its never going to be satisfying to the extent that ALL of us would like... this year, is kind of an exception, and i hope becomes the rule for EA as the graphics have been tricked out with the new lighting, new skins, new... well... just about everything... ON TOP OF THE GAME PLAY OVERHAUL!!!! are you serious!!!??? =) the point is this... (and you kind of missed my point) is that all through those years, just as JB said, we were only worried about the current game, and none of us were mailing Tecmo with boycott threats b.c they only added 4 addition play choices to the play call screen...

this:

compared to this:

i totally understand that you think there are too many "old farts" that talk about games of old, but all technology progresses, and the things you complain about today, will fail in comparison to what you will get in 5-10 years worth of advancement in technology... thats why i just play, enjoy, and stay easy-going... theres no need for me to complain about anything in the game even on most failed "first-year" installs of features that we get, aka run commit... but i will have to be the first i guess to say that i dont buy this game b/c of the features, graphics, updates, but purely out of passion for a game i played 21 straight years of my life... and now coach... like i said... its not about age, the differences come due to the personal "passion" that you have for the game... some love eye candy, some are feature fiends, some are simulation suckers, and some just play because they suck at shooter games lol...(aka my best friend the COD noob who will snap on 10 year old kids over comms b/c they trash talk him after owning him round after round after round after round... quite funny)

"E"

JBHuskers
06-03-2010, 08:54 PM
I almost didn't know what to do when the playbook doubled in Tecmo :D

morsdraconis
06-03-2010, 09:07 PM
I almost didn't know what to do when the playbook doubled in Tecmo :D

I actually didn't play Tecmo Bowl until after I had played Tecmo Super Bowl (LOVE playing with my '91 Skins and just bombing the ball down the field) so I never noticed the additional plays.

The coolest thing to me about Tecmo Super Bowl was the ability to customize the playbook. That shit was off the chain.

I OU a Beatn
06-03-2010, 09:34 PM
I was too young for the original Tecmo Bowl, but I'm enjoying the hell out of the remake they released on PSN.

I think my first ever football game was NCAA Football 98 for the PS1. I'm not sure of the year, but it had Danny Wuerffel on the cover. I do remember having a blast on it which was unequaled until NCAA '04 came out, and no game has been able to surpass the amount of fun I had playing that game online. It was like crack.

So yeah, I've been playing football games since I was 8 years old. Kind of scary. :D

Jayrah
06-04-2010, 03:39 AM
"E" I'm with you brotha. I mean I remember playing and for the entire 90's period, I was saying "Oh man, if they could ever just get logos on the helmets, that would make my playing experience the best ever!" And I played Walsh when it first came out, but my uncle and I had a madden rivalry going (I was just a kid of course), and I ate that up. So I fell more in love with madden. And then as I upgraded with the N64 and it's multidimensional Roll playing games, and Mario and Madden in high school, college football as a game was no longer available to me (or I just couldn't find it). I started really getting into the college football scene from a fan standpoint, but couldn't play it. Me and C (my brother) would just pick a team that was 'close' to a college color, and call them that team. I would run with Arizona and be WSU, and I'd play Minnesota as Washington for the apple cup. LOL, it's stupid now, but that was the game! And since the 64 madden didn't have logos, it didn't mess anything up :D I think that's when I became a graphics whore!

I remember me and C sneaking an Xbox into our room after renting it for the first time and just sitting and playing ncaa football when it first came out, because our mom wanted us to be cleaning or doing homework and other stuff. And if she would've ever found out! :mad: And there were some close calls my friends. Like door opening, pressing the click-in button and diving into bed type close calls. You remember the click-ins right, the ones on the tv that pulled out and did volume? Those were high tech man, hi-tech-digi-status! Settings were minimal contrast, brightness, color. Now we got this flat-screen, hi definition, adjust width, adjust height, zoom in/out, and clarify the picture :cool:. We've come quite a far ways.

But anyway, I just remember those days, and when I first saw NCAA on xbox, I was just like "WOW, my life is changed, gaming will never be the same". And then I thought that was gonna happen for 360, and while there were some cool games out there (I can't remember all the first ones, but I played perfect dark forever, and then HALO was the Mother Beast), I didn't get the same "WOW" moment with football as before. I did get the graphics POP, but the gameplay glitches after a while dull that a bit. Still, I have found a way to enjoy every iteration of the game, including the crappy ones, because we would normally trade in to save some money.

Somewhat, actually finding Utopia and now this site and tradition football, has changed the game again for me. Now it's kind of more than a game. It's a game, and it's a community bond, and it's football in another realm, outside of real world, and outside of game world. It's my chance to be a coach, and my chance to pick other "coaches" brains. And to have a chance to give input to the developers themselves? And they'll listen? Really? That is SO COOL I can't even explain it. It's a connection that we never could've dreamed about as kids. Really fun stuff. But it all ties back into the ncaa tradition, which is now carried on by EA. So EA is not the enemy to me, they are the friend, and while they don't get everything right, they are getting better. And I never would have dreamed they would take the game to the level that it's at now. And for that, I can't even complain. I can however give suggestion on how I think it could be better :D. But only because it matters! And I am thankful to the guys that put in the time on sites like this, to make it fun to be a part of that game, which is my favorite, in a deeper sense.

We get so caught up sometimes with the real mentality of our boards, that we forget when it's all said and done, it's just a game, and really nothing more. Just like the college season. When your team sucks, do you still buy tickets to go see em play? I do. Do you cheer them on? I do. I've gone to five 50 pt losses in the past 2 years for my Cougs. But guess what, I also saw them win the only game last season! This football game's the same way. But we get so caught up in the hype of what could be theoretically, that we forget what is, and what has been. We could get better, sure, but.....

As Yoda would say, in his little Yoda voice: "Yes. Yes. Always, this game enjoy, do I!"

JBHuskers
06-04-2010, 08:43 AM
I was too young for the original Tecmo Bowl, but I'm enjoying the hell out of the remake they released on PSN.

I think my first ever football game was NCAA Football 98 for the PS1. I'm not sure of the year, but it had Danny Wuerffel on the cover. I do remember having a blast on it which was unequaled until NCAA '04 came out, and no game has been able to surpass the amount of fun I had playing that game online. It was like crack.

So yeah, I've been playing football games since I was 8 years old. Kind of scary. :D

The remake did a VERY good job of bringing things back. I was really pleased on how well the game played. I just hope I can find the roster file for PS3 (doesn't look like it's possible on the 360).

JeffHCross
06-04-2010, 08:15 PM
58I'm only 26 and I still remember that. I owned one. Actually I think it's still in my parents house somewhere.

Flav
06-04-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm only 26 and I still remember that. I owned one. Actually I think it's still in my parents house somewhere.

What is that? :p

JeffHCross
06-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Interesting. Apparently attachments are in-line images but can't be quoted.

It's the second image from GURU's post at the top of this page.

I take it back. I didn't have Collco, I had Mattel:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/02/Mattel-Football.jpg

Rudy
06-05-2010, 05:16 AM
I remember that old LED football game. Had a lot of fun with that as a kid. That one was missing the toggle switch to kick - must have been the upgraded one lol.

Jayrah
06-05-2010, 10:51 PM

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/02/Mattel-Football.jpg LOL I had one of those. That was my car ride favorite toy!

steelerfan
06-06-2010, 06:48 PM
I had that one. I also had the green updated one that added passing. That was the best!

I had head-to-head football and baseball, Mattel's baseball and basketball and some other one that was a four player game that had cartidges. It came with football (which is all I had) but there were cartidges for baseball, basketball and hockey I think. I think it was called Total Control Four, but I may be mistaken.

jaymo76
06-06-2010, 07:42 PM

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/02/Mattel-Football.jpg

Ah you were sooo lucky. You had the fancy one. Mine was the first gen and it was green and it didn't have the "stadium" in the game. I still remember "running" back my first TD. What a game!

JeffHCross
06-07-2010, 12:30 AM
I also had a ton of Tiger's LCD games as a kid. Tecmo Bowl was the most played, of course.

steelerfan
06-07-2010, 12:45 AM
I also had a ton of Tiger's LCD games as a kid. Tecmo Bowl was the most played, of course.

Wow, there was a Tecmo LCD?

The only Tiger game I had was Talking Football. If you ever played it you'd remember this: "Great day for football. The Tigers won the toss and will receive. The Sharks will kick off."

Ha! That game was terrible but I played the heck out of it.

JeffHCross
06-07-2010, 01:32 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JyV1-jjYL._SS500_.jpg

It's really amazing when you look around out there and see what all Tiger made LCD games for. Freaking Stargate (the movie), for goodness sake.

steelerfan
06-07-2010, 02:49 AM
OK, yeah. I vaguely remember that game now that I see it. I never had that one or even played it that I remember. Thanks JHC.

Solidice
06-07-2010, 03:00 AM
It's really amazing when you look around out there and see what all Tiger made LCD games for. Freaking Stargate (the movie), for goodness sake.

lol, I remember having a Jurassic Park one.