PDA

View Full Version : Pastapadre: EA SPORTS Planning Subscription Service

gschwendt
04-22-2011, 12:40 PM
http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/04/22/ea-sports-planning-subscription-service

http://www.pastapadre.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/easportssubscription.jpg

cdj
04-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Depending on cost, that doesn't seem like a bad deal. Full downloadable versions of games prior to retail release would be awesome as well as the DLC discount.

Kingpin32
04-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Considering you'll be getting full versions of games before they come out, it seems that it would cost at least the price of a game a year. I pray I'm wrong though.

I OU a Beatn
04-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Wait...what? The discount on DLC would be useless as I can't imagine a whole lot of people buying their boosting packs. Getting a game early would be cool, but that's totally dependent upon price, but it seems kind of senseless to pay a yearly fee just to get a game download a few days earlier than the disc release. I'd rather have the disc anyway. Seems like a suspicious way to cut down on used games, too. I have no idea what they mean by transferring paid licenses. Maybe the online passes so if you buy it one year it works in the next game too? I have no idea.

I'll have to wait on price and full feature list, but that looks kind of crummy.

JBHuskers
04-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Tiger would be the best use of DLC transferring.

jaymo76
04-22-2011, 02:34 PM
I won't be signing up first but I will be interested to see how this works. I have NEVER paid for EA sports DLC as I fundamentally oppose the concept. Would this be worth my while??? I just don't know...

cdj
04-22-2011, 02:46 PM
A complete guess here.....

I'd guess there's a base 'subscription' fee and from there you get discounts on DLC and games. If correct, it'll probably be a good deal for guys who buy most/all of the EA SPORTS titles, but probably not for those who only buy one. I am interesting in seeing the full details and pricing though.

CLW
04-23-2011, 12:50 PM
#1 Depends on how much earlier you get the game.

If we are talking 24-48 hours that's worth about .33 cents ($60 for a game / 365 x 2 days = .33) of additional value.

Moreover, you dont get a disc so I would hope that the game download would be less than buying a disc. #1 it obviously cost less in production costs for EA to sell a downloadable file. #2 If something goes wrong with your harddrive on the PS3/360 you would most likely loose those game(s).

I likely wouldn't purchase this unless we are talking about buying games early for $40-$50 bucks AND getting the game(s) at least a week or two before they come out. A day or two just simply isn't worth paying for the games AND having to pay for the subscription.

Total speculation but I bet they will try to charge $50+ for a year membership.

EDIT: just read the PP article and it says that the downloaded game would only be playable until the game is released. So we are paying for the game to download it and use it for a week and then have to shell out $60 to continue to use the game.

No way in hell would I pay more than $1.25 just to get the game a week early. I can GUARANTEE that EA will look to get $5-$10 minimum just for the week long download.

SmoothPancakes
04-23-2011, 01:30 PM
I would possibly think about the $29.99 option, based on the updated info on PP, solely for the ability to carry over DLC from title to title. The rest I couldn't care less about, but the DLC carryover alone would pay for it with Tiger Woods PGA Tour. I can't say I want to continue shelling out an extra $40-$50 every year for the same DLC courses that I had bought just the previous year, just so I could use them in that year's title. I would rather pay $30 per year for this thing than pay $50 per year to buy all of the DLC courses over and over.

But beyond that, there's really nothing I give a damn about regarding the rest of it. I don't care at all about the 5 days early temporary download of the game. I don't care about the other crap. The 10% discount could maybe come in handy in knocking a little bit off the cost of any DLC courses in TW that you had to buy that were new for that year and not carried over from the previous year, but that's about it. Tiger Woods is the only EA Sports game I buy DLC for, so that's the only game I'd take into consideration if I were to get aboard with one of these options.

JeffHCross
04-23-2011, 07:54 PM
The only encouraging thing I see in this report is that it seems additional to basic services and features. I don't mind the concept of a subscription service if it doesn't change the basics of how I play and buy my games.

SmoothPancakes
04-24-2011, 05:14 AM
The only encouraging thing I see in this report is that it seems additional to basic services and features. I don't mind the concept of a subscription service if it doesn't change the basics of how I play and buy my games.

Agreed.

jaymo76
04-24-2011, 01:53 PM
So would this include early access to NCAA FOOTBALL 12?????

JeffHCross
04-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Probably not. If they're just floating the survey out at this stage, it's unlikely they'd be able to roll out the subscription service before NCAA and Madden release. That'd be a pretty quick turnaround for something of that level of work.