PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football 12 - Gameplay Blog Part 1

cdj
04-21-2011, 03:05 PM
http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA12/FSUBowlPatch.jpg

The NCAA Football 12 website has posted a new blog with developer Mike Scantlebury discussing some of the gameplay changes coming to the game (http://www.ea.com/ncaa-football/blog/ncaa-12-gameplay-blog-part-1). This is Part 1 of a two-part blog.

Hey NCAA fans! It's Scantlebury here to give you some insight on what the Central Gameplay team has been cooking up for the NCAA Football 12 title. We've touched several core areas of gameplay including: tackling, blocking, catching, and coverage. The changes we have made will be evident on the very first play of the game and I'm not talking about your first snap - I mean from the opening Kickoff. Let me tell you a little bit about what we're doing for each of the core areas of gameplay to give you guys a brand new gaming experience.

NO MORE SUCTION ON TACKLES. Yeah you read that correctly. Did you hate it when you would do a spin move then get sucked back into a tackle? Or when you would be running through a hole in the line - a clear lane - and then a D-Lineman just warps in front of you and makes the tackle? Well this year there is no more warping on tackles. Tackles only occur on collision. So you won't see a tackle happen unless actual collision is made between the ball carrier and the defender. Jukes and spins are more valuable than they ever have been and running through holes in the line never felt so good.

MOMENTUM ON TACKLES. We've all seen this happen: you're running down the field with a full head of steam and then when you meet up with a defender WHAM complete momentum stop. It's like the two of you were never running and collided with each other from only two feet away. Well, this year when you see that same situation you will actually notice the preservation of momentum on the tackle. Who wins the momentum battle depends on various factors including speed, size, and weight of the participants in the tackle. If the defender wins you'll see the ball carrier being driven back as soon as they collide and that will carry through even as the players hit the ground. The movement doesn't stop as soon as the players hit the ground; it carries through just like real life.

TACKLE BUTTON. This is a new feature that we have added this year; the old Dive Button has been replaced by the Tackle Button. Now this doesn't guarantee that you'll make the tackle but once you hit the button you are driven towards the ball carrier. There is a timing aspect to this because if you hit the button too early your defender will lunge in a last ditch effort to make a tackle. This is incredibly useful because the same way CPU defenders have no suction on tackle attempts, neither do user defenders. So, as you can imagine, it is somewhat harder to be pin-point accurate and run into that moving ball carrier. The same steering is applied to our Hit Stick and Strip ball Tackle attempt so the choice is yours. Personally, I like the play it safe and hit the Tackle Button.

NO MORE SUCTION ON BLOCKS. You know if we removed the suction on tackles we certainly corrected that on blocks, too. I know too many of us have said at least one time, "hey I got sucked into that block." Please believe me, I feel your pain. Right when you are about to make a tackle, out of nowhere you get sucked into a block. The crazy thing is you actually feel like you are being pulled, I don't mean the character in the game I mean YOU (well that's how I felt anyway). Now that's a thing of the past. If you get by that blocker or he's not in the appropriate position to make the blocks you won't get sucked back into him, you'll continue traveling to your final destination which is undoubtedly the ball carrier.

CATCHING THE LOVE. Yes, we had to give some love to catching, as well. We made a deliberate effort to add some new sprint catches to reduce warping and sliding when the receiver positions himself to catch a pass. Another great addition is the brand new dive catches. If the ball is far out ahead of you then a dive catch may get you there to make the play. The dive catches in NCAA Football 12 are reliable and incredibly useful. And, in case you were wondering, yes, the user can trigger the same dive catches that the CPU players can trigger. In previous years, you would get the same ineffective generic dive catch every time you hit the button, but now you get a dive catch that matches the same way you get a sideline catch or a jump catch that matches. Trust me; if you make use of it when the opportunity arises you won't be disappointed.

That's just a few of the gameplay improvements in NCAA Football 12 that I know will enhance your experience. Stay tuned for Part 2 of this blog for more information regarding tackling (add-ons and stealing tackles), as well as new and improved defensive zone logic.

Additional information will be released soon, including announcements about your favorite features like Dynasty and Road to Glory!

Kwizzy
04-21-2011, 03:23 PM
That's a really good blog... People with gameplay questions should definitely read that before asking us to butcher an explanation! :D

Hustleman
04-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Great Blog!!! I think NCAA 12 could be really good if they keep making these types of improvements.

ram29jackson
04-21-2011, 03:30 PM
well, yes, but its still very general. Doesnt give a first hand explanation so to speak.

Kwizzy
04-21-2011, 03:32 PM
well, yes, but its still very general. Doesnt give a first hand explanation so to speak.

Yeah, I'm just saying that's a really good explanation of what they are going for. We can build on that definitely but it's a good place to start.

Adibesee
04-21-2011, 04:01 PM
First off, great write-up. How do you feel the stiff arm button worked. In past years I've felt it's been very random, but with the changes they have made I think it may be more effective and accurate this year. Your thoughts?

CLW
04-21-2011, 04:03 PM
It reads/sounds really good. Of course the devil is in the details or in this case how well executed are these changes/adjustments. I THINK I like the direction. However, if timing tackles becomes virtually impossible and there are just too many missed tackles that cannot be good. Similarly, it shouldn't be too easy either where all you have to do for a sure tackle is get pretty close to the ball carrier and then hit :ps3sq:

As far as the catching goes the animations sound great but again this could be abused if there is some glitch in the code. I.e. it could become a "rocket catch" animation where if you can trigger it properly the defender can never jar the ball lose.

Everyone should be excited about the suction being gone. However, I believe it was OS that said that although improved they still noticed some suction blocking/tackling in the game. "NO MORE" = none/zero in my book. I assume this is still WIP but making a very BOLD statement like "NO MORE" could really backfire if there are in fact still some suction/warping issues come final release/demo time.

Momentum - I seem to recall momentum being emphasized as "in the game" on more than one occasion. Again, I'll need to see how it works before I believe it.

Again it sounds pretty good but if it was/is poorly executed it will all be for not.

JBHuskers
04-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Exactly ... WIP

MCdonnieG
04-21-2011, 04:18 PM
For some reason I knew in due time the dive button would be modified. It was the only button/action that didn't receive next-gen treatment! Besides that it pretty much translated the same for both offense and defense...dive on defense...dive on offense! So breath of fresh air there!:up: Love that suction has finally been...at least in my eyes....rectified! I know people are gonna be infuriated much more now because they're not being aided by the engine but hey....that what practice is for right?!? Oh Wee all this news is giving me a OVERLOAD:bang: Loving it EA SPORTS....lets keep the momentum going....no pun intended!:D

HornedFrogHusker
04-21-2011, 04:45 PM
I came across this excerpt as I was skimming the IGN preview for NCAA Football 12:

"but there's something special about this year's game. Seeing Chief Osceola ride onto the playing field or watching Georgetown's Jack the Bulldog panting on the sideline really elevates the pomp and circumstance."

Georgetown is an FCS school (not FBS). FCS Schools in NCAA Football 12... :nod:

cdj
04-21-2011, 05:01 PM
I came across this excerpt as I was skimming the IGN preview for NCAA Football 12:

"but there's something special about this year's game. Seeing Chief Osceola ride onto the playing field or watching Georgetown's Jack the Bulldog panting on the sideline really elevates the pomp and circumstance."

Georgetown is an FCS school (not FBS). FCS Schools in NCAA Football 12... :nod:

Pretty sure that was a typo and should have been Georgia.

CLW
04-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Pretty sure that was a typo and should have been Georgia.

That would be the case if Georgia's mascot name was Jack but I believe it is UGA [insert roman numeral]. In the end it must just be really crappy journalism.

steelerfan
04-21-2011, 05:16 PM
In the end it must just be really crappy journalism.

;)

Paakaa10
04-21-2011, 05:16 PM
That would be the case if Georgia's mascot name was Jack but I believe it is UGA [insert roman numeral]. In the end it must just be really crappy journalism.

Well, that is something of a trademark for IGN for many of their stories :P.

beartide06
04-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Basically all of the major issues I have came across such as suction blocking, tackling, etc. and some of the other small issues seem to be adjusted and fixed this go around. This is a huge step up in the franchise. It is quite overwhelming to hear all of the great things fixed and introduced, but I will take that overwhelming sensation any day! lol.

Keep the good news coming! I am sure this is only the tip of the iceberg on info.... kind of scary lol.

steelerfan
04-21-2011, 06:07 PM
It is just a fraction of the news, beartide. Stay tuned!

gschwendt
04-21-2011, 06:08 PM
It is just a fraction of the news, beartide. Stay tuned!
To be fair, 99/100 is a fraction :D

ryby6969
04-21-2011, 06:10 PM
I hope one day I can be an ass like you guys teasing everyone! :D

steelerfan
04-21-2011, 06:10 PM

:P

beartide06
04-21-2011, 06:36 PM

:D That's real nice lol. Well, Let's get this snowball rolling!

coogrfan
04-22-2011, 09:12 AM

From IGN? I'm shocked...SHOCKED!

Jayrah
04-22-2011, 03:12 PM
From IGN? I'm shocked...SHOCKED!

The idiot prolly googled Georgetown because he saw the G and that's the bulldog he saw. "Duh, Hi, my name is George! What's your name?" :P

gschwendt
04-29-2011, 02:41 PM
A video interview with Ben Haumiller that essentially says the same thing that this blog says

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIwszUytLqs
NCAA Football 12 Designer Ben Haumiller talks about the new game-play elements added to NCAA Football 12.