PDA

View Full Version : Forum Feedback - June 2010

cdj
05-31-2010, 07:45 PM
We'll have a new one each month, open for all to give feedback.

If we missed something in the previous month's thread, post again here. Feedback can be anything, ranging from smilies to new content idea, etc. Feel free to PM if you don't want to post an idea publicly.

JBHuskers
06-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks again to all of the Tailgaters for their contributions. We're still kinda "in beta" right now with the TGT, but we're almost 100 strong already!

Rudy
06-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Just break the NDA and people will flock over here like crazy! C'mon, admit that accelerated clock is in the game and spill the beans on the new features.
;)

cdj
06-08-2010, 07:17 PM
We are currently updating our usergroups and permissions, so ignore anything weird for the next 30-60 minutes.

cdj
06-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Usergroups and permissions have been updated. If you see anything weird, please post it here.

We'll be going live with our Usergroup permissions and detailing Donator perks shortly. That info can be found on the main page under the 'Support the Gaming Tailgate' tab.

Kev5890
06-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Just curious how to access signatures? That probably comes with a specific post count or am I missing something in the user cp?

Flav
06-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Just curious how to access signatures? That probably comes with a specific post count or am I missing something in the user cp?

Only Donators can edit their signatures.

Solidice
06-08-2010, 07:48 PM
currently when I try to go to the main home page, i get

"Solidice, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation"

cdj
06-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Solidice - How about now?

Solidice
06-08-2010, 08:00 PM
yup, works now.

cdj
06-08-2010, 08:02 PM
yup, works now.

Great, thanks for the heads-up on that.

ebin
06-09-2010, 02:40 AM
Can you provide a breakdown of how many posts are needed to progress through the permissions levels? I don't generally post a whole lot, but I already miss the "What's New" quick search functionality. Thanks! The site definitely has a ton of potential, and I'm looking forward to watching it grow.

ChiCitySports
06-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Is this a NCAA forum or is it for all sports gaming?

ChiCitySports
06-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Also wanted to mention you should make new users able to send PMs only to administrators. If they have any questions, etc.

cdj
06-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Can you provide a breakdown of how many posts are needed to progress through the permissions levels? I don't generally post a whole lot, but I already miss the "What's New" quick search functionality. Thanks! The site definitely has a ton of potential, and I'm looking forward to watching it grow.

So the What's New doesn't show up for you? It should be there for all regardless of level so if it's not there, let me know.

We want to keep some of the levels a surprise as people move up, but going from a Recruit to a Freshman takes 7 days of being a member and 15 posts.

Also wanted to mention you should make new users able to send PMs only to administrators. If they have any questions, etc.

Recruits 'should' be able to send PMs to all, but with an inbox of 10. Is it not letting you send any or are you just suggesting they can only send to admins?

Keep the feedback and thoughts coming. Being in the admin level, we don't see the site the same way you guys do so you are our real eyes.

cdj
06-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Is this a NCAA forum or is it for all sports gaming?

NCAA Football is the focus first and foremost, but we definitely will encourage and have lots of discussions on other games. We know people tend to play several (if not many) games, so we want this to be the place to be but we won't forget or bury the main focus of the site.

ChiCitySports
06-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Was there a split or separation from Utopia? I used to post on there back in the day and it seems like a bunch of the same folks. With some of the big whigs from over there this place has a good route to success.

Also I tried to PM you to ask about the previous part of this post. It let me PM JBHuskers but not you.

cdj
06-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Was there a split or separation from Utopia? I used to post on there back in the day and it seems like a bunch of the same folks. With some of the big whigs from over there this place has a good route to success.

Also I tried to PM you to ask about the previous part of this post. It let me PM JBHuskers but not you.

To put it briefly, we had a difference in vision and goals and decided going our own way would be the best course of action for the community and also our personal goals & vision for the site.

I have no clue why it wouldn't let you PM me. I'll check into that - that's weird. :D Thanks for the heads-up on all this.

ebin
06-10-2010, 02:42 AM
So the What's New doesn't show up for you? It should be there for all regardless of level so if it's not there, let me know.

We want to keep some of the levels a surprise as people move up, but going from a Recruit to a Freshman takes 7 days of being a member and 15 posts.

Nope. When I click on What's New, I get the same message Solidice listed in #8 (ebin, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.)

This is a great feature; I'd love to be able to take advantage of it. I can definitely understand wanting to keep some of the levels a mystery, but thanks for posting the threshold for getting to Freshman.

lilheavy
06-10-2010, 08:16 AM
"What's New" is giving me the same message.

cdj
06-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks. I'm looking into it now.

lilheavy & ebin - I made slight tweaks to your Forum Permissions. Try now and let me know if it works.

lilheavy
06-10-2010, 08:41 AM

lilheavy & ebin - I made slight tweaks to your Forum Permissions. Try now and let me know if it works.

It works now. Thanks

cdj
06-10-2010, 08:42 AM
It works now. Thanks

Awesome. I'm just glad it's a simple fix. :cool:

coogrfan
06-10-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm getting the "you do not have permission" message when I try to access My Profile. Is that right?

cdj
06-10-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm getting the "you do not have permission" message when I try to access My Profile. Is that right?

No. Related to same issue the other guys mentioned. Try again and let me know what happens.

ebin
06-10-2010, 12:47 PM

Strange that it works for lilheavy; I'm still getting the same error message. Does it have anything to do with me still being a recruit?

coogrfan
06-10-2010, 01:12 PM
No. Related to same issue the other guys mentioned. Try again and let me know what happens.

Fixed, thanks. :)

cdj
06-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Strange that it works for lilheavy; I'm still getting the same error message. Does it have anything to do with me still being a recruit?

It may. I'll keep looking into it.

ebin
06-10-2010, 02:06 PM
It may. I'll keep looking into it.

Thanks much. In the mean time, I'll keep posting.

cdj
06-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks much. In the mean time, I'll keep posting.

Made a couple small changes. Let me know if that does it.

ebin
06-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Made a couple small changes. Let me know if that does it.

Nope, still nothing. I think its because What's New is technically a search requests, which recruits (like me) can't do. No worries, I'll have 15 posts soon enough.

Thanks for trying.

Rudy
06-10-2010, 04:30 PM
What skin are you using? I know the one skin initially didn't have the "What's New" on it. Have you tried switching skins to see if it helps Ebin?

cdj
06-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Nope, still nothing. I think its because What's New is technically a search requests, which recruits (like me) can't do. No worries, I'll have 15 posts soon enough.

Thanks for trying.

Let's see if that is it. I turned on Search ability for Recruits.

ebin
06-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Let's see if that is it. I turned on Search ability for Recruits.

Yep, that did it. Thanks for your help!

CLW
06-13-2010, 09:05 AM
This is in regard to dynasty/road to glory report section. OS has created a very great program that creates HTML boxscores/recaps/depth charts/top 25 etc... Obviously this may not be needed IF EA gives us the ability to take their new dynasty reporting to other sites. However, if they do not, is there anyway HTML posting can be enabled so that we can use the OS program to post here as well?

cdj
06-13-2010, 10:19 AM
We are looking into what we can do to help those who create Dynasty reports to share them here. In the meantime, I'll look into what OS is doing and see what we can do if our Plan A doesn't work. Thanks for the ideas everyone and thanks for joining the site. :)

JeffHCross
06-13-2010, 12:44 PM
cdj, I think we should create a single "Demo Impressions" thread in the General Discussion forum, as well as a "Demo Bugs" thread in the Feedback forum. Make a news post about the two threads so everybody is going to those two places rather than making their own.

cdj
06-13-2010, 10:07 PM
JHC - good idea. We will have a thread going up in the early hours of the morning for impressions and thoughts to go into.

cdj
06-14-2010, 11:44 PM
I'll put this here and hope I don't have to PM people....;)

If you click on the XBL/PSN icon under the 'Gamer ID's profile field (under avatar) and it just shows a broken image, it means one of two things:
- You've never set up a gamercard at us.playstation.com, or
- Your gamertag is entered incorrectly. This field is case-sensitive, so make sure you enter it exactly as it appears on your console.

I'm seeing the issue here only for PS3 users so far, so maybe the 360 gamertag isn't case-sensitive.

JeffHCross
06-17-2010, 09:52 PM
CDJ's got an image in his signature and I can't even get a little BBCode love. Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Rudy
06-28-2010, 05:26 AM
I just clicked on the link where you could "blog" a post. It worked pretty good other than the fact the image links don't work and neither do the web codes for bold [b]. Did I do something wrong?

cdj
06-28-2010, 08:43 AM
I just clicked on the link where you could "blog" a post. It worked pretty good other than the fact the image links don't work and neither do the web codes for bold [b]. Did I do something wrong?

I just tried it on your post and everything loaded OK. Let me know if you keep running into this issue.

Rudy
06-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Click on the actual Blog I turned it into. It's still not working. Here's the link: http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/entry.php?4-Camera-Angles

Edit: My info on the left side actually indicates Blog Entries: 1 now. And it actually has the link for my blog area. Interesting (but it still isn't working right :) ).

cdj
06-28-2010, 04:22 PM
I made a slight tweak. LMK how that treats you, Rudy.

Rudy
06-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Works perfectly now. Whatever you did worked. Thanks Chris.

lilheavy
06-29-2010, 11:04 AM
When I clicked on "New Posts" I could see and access Oneback's "Donator Dynasty Sub Forum". Just giving you a heads up incase you don't want it to work that way. I haven't donated yet...

gschwendt
06-29-2010, 11:11 AM
When I clicked on "New Posts" I could see and access Oneback's "Donator Dynasty Sub Forum". Just giving you a heads up incase you don't want it to work that way. I haven't donated yet...
Appreciate that. Not sure if we'll want that to be explicitly hidden or not but maybe we just don't let it show up in search results.

BTW, it's not a dynasty for donors, rather it's a perk we're offering for donors is the ability to have a dedicated subforum for your OD.

Kingpin32
06-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Appreciate that. Not sure if we'll want that to be explicitly hidden or not but maybe we just don't let it show up in search results.

BTW, it's not a dynasty for donors, rather it's a perk we're offering for donors is the ability to have a dedicated subforum for your OD.

So would the donor have to invite the people in the dynasty to access the forum? Because you can't see them from the front page, just only when you click on whats new.

gschwendt
06-29-2010, 11:15 AM

So would the donor have to invite the people in the dynasty to access the forum? Because you can't see them from the front page, just only when you click on whats new.
Correct... the commissioner of the dynasty would just have to share that link with the dynasty members. It'd be similar if you were hosting the OD forums on a different site and they'd have to hit a different URL.

Let us know any feedback on the idea though... it's still very much an idea we're working on so we are open to opinions.

Kingpin32
06-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Correct... the commissioner of the dynasty would just have to share that link with the dynasty members. It'd be similar if you were hosting the OD forums on a different site and they'd have to hit a different URL.

Let us know any feedback on the idea though... it's still very much an idea we're working on so we are open to opinions.

Oh ok, well this just a suggestion, but maybe you could make them password protected, that way it'll be a bit easier than having to keep up with an extra link for regular members.

ebin
06-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Out of curiosity, is there any way to limit which forums are included in the What's New search? Say I knew I didn't want to read anything in the Tiger Woods Forum. Is there a way to prevent threads in that forum from showing up when I click What's New?

gschwendt
06-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Out of curiosity, is there any way to limit which forums are included in the What's New search? Say I knew I didn't want to read anything in the Tiger Woods Forum. Is there a way to prevent threads in that forum from showing up when I click What's New?
Not for each individual user, no.

skipwondah33
06-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Well damn I just found the ability to change the forum style. I was coming to post about that, the default style is hard on the eyes on my 23-inch monitor here at work lol

Flav
06-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Well damn I just found the ability to change the forum style. I was coming to post about that, the default style is hard on the eyes on my 23-inch monitor here at work lol

Which style are you using now?

skipwondah33
06-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Fixed

JeffHCross
06-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Appreciate that. Not sure if we'll want that to be explicitly hidden or not but maybe we just don't let it show up in search results.Me and Kingpin saw that too over the weekend. Thought somebody let you guys know. Oops.

HuskerBlitz
06-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Is there any way to possibly get like a New Post link at the bottom of the page? That's normally how I surf and that would make it easier instead of scrolling back up the page to hit it again.

Kingpin32
06-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Me and Kingpin saw that too over the weekend. Thought somebody let you guys know. Oops.

Looks like we dropped the ball on that one lol.

I OU a Beatn
06-29-2010, 10:40 PM
I know this is kind of pointless considering we can see them under our Gamer IDs in our postbit, but is there any chance we could get the XBL and PSN codes integrated into the site so we can put 'em in our sigs? Just a thought considering that's about the only thing I know to put in there. :D

Flav
06-29-2010, 10:44 PM
I know this is kind of pointless considering we can see them under our Gamer IDs in our postbit, but is there any chance we could get the XBL and PSN codes integrated into the site so we can put 'em in our sigs? Just a thought considering that's about the only thing I know to put in there. :D

Yes! I loved the way they had em on Utopia from MyGamerCard.net

Kingpin32
06-29-2010, 10:46 PM

Would this be for donators only?

I OU a Beatn
06-29-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm pretty sure donators are the only ones that have signatures, so they would be the only ones allowed to put them in their signature. However, if they put a code on the site that you could use, you'd still be able to use it to put your PSN card in a particular post by using the code, so in theory, everyone could use it.

Another cool thing would be a reputation system. The forums over on PSU.com have it and it works fairly well, and it's a good way to tell which members make really good posts and which ones are clowns. Just a suggestion!

JeffHCross
06-29-2010, 10:51 PM
In my experience, the reputation system is always abused and turns disastrous.

Personally, I like the PSN & XBL Gamer IDs like they are, and would rather not have to scroll past Gamercards.

I OU a Beatn
06-29-2010, 10:52 PM
In my experience, the reputation system is always abused and turns disastrous.

Personally, I like the PSN & XBL Gamer IDs like they are, and would rather not have to scroll past Gamercards.

Well I don't spend a whole lot of time over there, so I wouldn't know how abused it is or not. In theory, it sounds like a good idea, but if people abuse it, it does seem pretty pointless.

JeffHCross
06-29-2010, 10:59 PM
On a smaller forum I ran (that acted like a fraternity, for background), practically every poster had the lowest reputation you could have. No one gave positive, only negative, and only for shits and giggles.

When it's taken seriously, it's awesome. But picture a system like that on a few other sites we know ... and imagine what would happen.

I OU a Beatn
06-29-2010, 11:21 PM
There's a LOT of sites that it wouldn't work on. However, I think it has the potential to work well on this site. Most of the members currently posting are mature individuals who have been playing the NCAA series and chatting it up for years. It definitely has the possibility of getting abused, but I honestly don't think it would here.

I do want my PSN/XBL code, though. My sig looks so sickly. :(

ebin
06-30-2010, 02:01 AM
Not for each individual user, no.

I thought not. No biggie, but it would make scanning through the site much quicker as traffic increases. Is that a limitation of vBulletin?

Rudy
06-30-2010, 04:47 AM

+1. I hate anything taking up space in the signatures.

steelerfan
06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
+1. I hate anything taking up space in the signatures.

Seconded. I hate giant signatures and avatars. They make a site unreadable.

I OU a Beatn
06-30-2010, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't say they're "giant." IIRC, they're only like 220x150 or something like that.

JeffHCross
06-30-2010, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't say they're "giant." IIRC, they're only like 220x150 or something like that.Right, but when they're included in every post, that adds up quickly. For example, your avatar is 120x120, but without it your post would probably be half the size it is.

JeffHCross
06-30-2010, 10:36 PM
cdj, is there a RSS feed for the news articles?

cdj
06-30-2010, 11:23 PM

Right now, no. I didn't have any luck with the link set-up you posted a while back.

cdj
06-30-2010, 11:59 PM

RSS feed now available for any forum you want. Look at the main Forums area.

JeffHCross
07-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!

ebin
07-01-2010, 10:22 AM
That's a really nice option, thanks.

cdj
07-03-2010, 12:56 PM
We've held off on images (or PSN/XBL cards) in sigs for the reasons mentioned above. We'd rather have more characters in post responses than signatures and not expand the size too much to where posts seem buried in pics. We tried to balance that by offering a larger avatar size, however.

Rep is something that could be very good or very bad, but we're staying away for now. We want to make sure each and every post is considered equal here and an out of control rep system wouldn't allow that. Personally, I don't think that would be a problem here, but we'd rather be safe than sorry.