PDA

View Full Version : Real life QB reads that can be used in the game

whitepony99
04-15-2011, 06:33 AM
I know I know its been done a hundred times but for those who know me really know me and know what I do in real life understand this info is going to be valueable.

Little background info on me I started playing video games specifically NCAA aka Bill Walsh football back in the early 90's. Even back then at the early age of 10 I loved the air raid offense and ran it in a time when the Nebraska triple option was popular and the cliche term "spread" was not even heard of, however there was one who I watched on saturdays and his name was Hal Mumme. I loved the spread them out and wing it philosophy. Then at the age of 13 I had the opportunity to go to the "Ice Castle" aka Youngstown State University's home stadium and watch Steve "Air" Mcnair when he played for Alcorn State play against the Penguins. Once again I was amazed at how they spread the ball all over the field. I then had been playing football for 6 years and loved suiting up. High School years went by quick but a 3 year varsity starter at Inside Linebacker and Center earned me a D 1-A scholarship so I went to college for a year and had a career ending shoulder injury (still cant raise that arm over my head) so I ended up dropping out of college and working. Then I had a kid and as he got older he wanted to play football so I got into coaching, man do I love molding kids into ball players. Anyways 3 years of that and some old football buddies gave me a call to come up and coach at the High School level at my alma mater.

Sorry for the boring back story but it leads me to my main story 3 years of QB coaching at High School level coaching numerous coaching clinics and hours and hours of film study have led me to some basics of throwing the football.

Last year we had this amazing athlete at QB 6'1'' 200 pounds 4.4 forty just lights out. Anyways he was having a lot of troubles with passing reads so back to the drawing board I went because deep down I knew against good competition that can stop him running he would need to pass. I had 3 months to get this kid to become an efficient passer without overloading him. So I came up with these little passing tips for him and I believe that anyone can use these in the game.

Give me a day or 2 as I am working to get all my notes together for this writeup.

Thanks Whitepony

whitepony99
04-15-2011, 06:34 AM
First thing you have to understand and he did as well is the clock in your head, 3 to 4 seconds and the ball has to be gone. Doesn't matter if you have time the ball needs to be out in 3 to 4 seconds.

Secondly play calling can help out a QB that is having difficulty reading defenses. What I mean by this is giving yourself a list of 10 to 15 passing plays that attack 3 levels of th defense, deep, middle, short. This is the way you read the coverages as well its called high-low in the coaching world. An example of a good play that exploits 3 levels is a play like shotgun trips curl flat corner

Thirdly giving yourself minimum amount of reads keep it to 3 this gives you a second to process each route then make the appropiate throw.

I will be adding my top 10 favorite plays and reads by Monday but if you go into practice mode and give these plays a try you will understand more remember your high-low reads with these plays and I will be posting again Monday a microsoft word document with plays and reads. Keep an eye out for this probably around 11 am est

morsdraconis
04-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Awesome! Drop some knowledge bombs on us man. Can't wait!

texacotea
04-15-2011, 12:51 PM
really all that boring backstory just for a TO BE CONTINUED......... ;)

whitepony99
04-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Shotgun Trips

1.Curl Flat Corner
2.Strong Flood
3.Middle Slant
4.Smash
5.Slot Drive

Shotgun HB weak

1.Slot Post
2.Double Cross
3.FL Hook
4.H Shallow Cross
5.Flanker Dig

Mizzou playbook has these plays but there are more playbooks with these as well.

Update to the above post as well please read that before bringing these into practice mode.

I will break down each of these plays in a diagram via microsoft word on Monday.

As well if you post a formation and play I will break it down how I would have my QB's read it. Just give me a few days to respond to all of your posts.

Thanks

Pony

oweb26
04-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Pony you are about to be fired as a TGT coach. Waiting!

BPHusker
04-21-2011, 04:32 PM
This is interesting. Subscribed!

whitepony99
04-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Sorry guys been busy at work and coaching we have already started some light passing drills. Will try to fish this up soon